Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 vs MB M Class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 350 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX

Comments

• Options
    a4shorta4short Member Posts: 5
    Glad we agree so much. I have to say the new Jeep GC Ltd was on our short list. What killed it for us was the extremely poor crash test results. It was two catagories down from the Lexus, MB, X5 (and probably the MDX - not tested but data indicates that Honda was trying to make it in the same catagory as the RX-300). We had a 87 Jeep Cherokee and a 93 GC Ltd and were set on getting the new model.

I would suggest you look at the MDX. It has a lot of good qualities going for it, but will be much cheaper than the MDX as their sales are off and are making some good deals now.

Reggie
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Did you mean look at the RX?
    If so, we did.

Yup, the crash tests threw some cold water on us. I couldn't believe how bad the Pathfinder we are currently driving was.

One of things holding me back about the RX is cargo capacity... I will haul stuff from Home Depot every once in awhile, and the inability to open the hatch window (to let long items hang out) is another downside.

Again, thanks for the comments.

TC
  • Options
    a4shorta4short Member Posts: 5
    I meant look at the Acura MDX. I believe it has more cargo space with the folding seats. It is also about 4-6K cheaper than the RX. It will have a waiting time to order one.

Reggie
  • Options
    Huh? I guess you haven't been pricing them lately. Acura dealers are gouging the public and adding all kinds of after-market fluff to jack the prices up.

Meanwhile, Lexus dealers are actually knocking $$$ off of the MSRP.

Plus, we really can't wait any longer, our '97 Pathfinder is already 2 months past it's original lease and out of warranty.

TC
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Make sure you research the Jeep GC reliability record. I don't know about the 2000 models, but for what it's worth, Consumer Reports rated the reliability of the 1999 Jeed GC as Much Worse than average. They listed it in last place among all the new SUV purchases. This was never the case with their previous generation of the GC, but I know a couple people who owned the previous generation who have said they will never buy another GC.

The crash test results and my complaints about the ride quality on pavement are two other reasons I didn't choose the Jeep GC.

I agree with you that the recent deep discounts offered by Lexus dealers are making the RX300 more appealing. I also would not buy an MDX from any dealer who is forcing expensive accessory purchases or selling above MSRP. However, all 3 Acura dealers in my state are selling the MDX at MSRP without requiring any add-ons or accessories. I bought the base model at just under $35K. I appreciate the performance, the ride characteristics, and the additional passenger/cargo space enough to definitely NOT regret this purchase -- even though I could now buy an RX300 at a deeply discounted price.

Have you also considered the new Toyota Sequoia? I've seen posts where people are now buying them at over $1000 off of MSRP, and so I'm guessing they are easier to find than the MDX. I don't know if they offer the ability to open the hatch window?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Sequoia has the neat power rolldown window, just like the Toyota 4Runner. However, I think it is out of Tony's price range (about US$36K). He has been considering the ML320 as well...a leftover '00 ML320 can be had for about that price (a tad more actually).

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Is too much truck for me really... I just don't need for something that big. Mid-size SUVs are where we are at. Thanks for the info though.
  • Options
    With the way that most Lexus dealers have recently been deeply discounting the 2001 RX300 models, I wonder how the introduction of the new Toyota Highlander will be affected? I know the Highlander is supposed to be a little bigger, but aren't they similar enough, such that an RX300 at $1000 over factory invoice (with the new value package pricing) will cut into the sales of fully-equipped Highlanders?
  • Options
    I think it's the OTHER way around... A fully loaded HL will be equivalent to the Lexus w/Value Package. Except for anti-pinch windows. And the HL will be cheaper.

Say goodbye to Lexus sales...
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I know I'm entering this discussion late, but tskyplayer's question (Post #5)intrigued me. A fully loaded RX300 (4wd, Nav) MSRP's at about $42,800 and can be bought for about $39,500. I believe that is too much to pay for a car that it seems everyone else owns. We are in the market for a 3rd vehicle and have looked hard at the RX300. What I have begun to notice is that everyone has one! They are all over the road. Lexus began as the upscale/exclusive end of Toyota. Upscale and exclusivity are tied closely to the concept of class (in the way I believe tskyplayer is asking). Therefore it seems to me that if everyone has one then it is not as upscale &/or as exclusive as the term classy seems to conotate.

In this way of looking at classy, the MB, BMW, Acura could be called classy because they still qualify for upscale/exclusive by virtue of numbers alone.
  • Options
    To compare the price of the Acura with the RX300 requires the RX be 4wd and optioned with leather. Once an RX is equipped with what MDX comes standard it is plain to see there is really no price difference. A discounted RX costs about as mush as an MDX at MSRP (if compared with same equipment). In my area Acura dealers are not gouging anyone! But you do pay MSRP.

MDX w/ Touring and Navigation costs $39450.
    RX300 w/ Leather, etc, 4wd, and Nav costs ~$42500 and can be purchased for ~$39500 to $40000.

So to get an RX with the same features as an MDX would cost you the same. Actually you can't get an RX with the cargo room of an MDX or with a 3rd seat option.

As an aside note: The Acura MDX's rear cargo room (with the 3rd seat folded flat) greatly exceeds the room in my Expedition with it's 3rd seat tilted up! To take the Expedition's 3rd seat on a trip and have cargo room, you must tilt the 3rd seat forward. So MDX offers a significant cargo advantage over the "bigger" Expedition.
  • Options
    albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Great analysis on MDX's cargo flexibility! With 5 or 6 passengers, there's more cargo space in MDX than even the Odyssey as you'll use none or half of the 3rd seat in MDX but the whole 3rd seat in the Odyssey.
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What a sad perspective. I can't imagine giving weight to how many people own a particular car. Do you always shy away from popular items? How many Edsels do you own?
  • Options
    avery1: It is a rather superficial perspective, but I agree with msu79gt82 regarding exclusivity affecting people's choice for a new $40K car purchase.

1) Quite often, people spending well over $30K on their car purchase want a vehicle that has a certain degree of exclusivity. I think this is especially true for younger adults who are ugrading from vehicles such as Accords or Explorers into the upscale/luxury market. They don't want the same car as all the other "Jones's" in their community.

And this is what I have observed: If a car is truly outstanding in the eyes of the owner, then he generally could care less if all his neighbors also own the same car. But if and when the honeymoon ends between an owner and his car (even if for very minor issues), he starts taking notice at how many other people in his community are driving the same car. He then thinks to himself, "Not only is this car not as pleasurable to drive as I had hoped, but EVERYONE seems to own one! I'm just part of the crowd!"

2) Resale value may be a valid concern for choosing a car that is not as populated on the roads, especially in a dynamic market segment in which some new competitors are seen as just as favorable from both the automotive press and the owners. Resale value may not be a concern to everyone, but I guarantee you that I always give it some thought before I make a purchase!

For example, I honestly believe that the RX300s are being sold at a heavy enough volume such that their resale values will be affected a couple years from now. (I even had a Lexus salesman tell me I'd be better off leasing an RX300 instead of buying one, due to "possible" drops in resale value due to increased RX300 production.)

I guarantee you that right now, many RX300 shoppers do not know about the existence of the MDX. I bet that half of today's RX300 buyers also don't know that a similar SUV, the Highlander, is about to start selling at Toyota dealers. There is a large subset of the auto buying public that do not read any automotive press releases, nor do they catch any online reviews and discussion groups such as this one. This segment of the public helps keep sales momentum strong for the models that have already proven themselves the past few years, while also helping to keep down the demand for newer models.

I'm guessing that 2-5 years from now there will be at least 5 times as many used RX300s on the market as MDXs. With that differential, which SUV do you think will hold its resale value the best?

3) Exclusivity perhaps explains why some people who live in warm climate areas buy an expensive, cumbersome, and gas-guzzling SUV (such as the LX470, Range Rover, Navigator, etc) even though they don't require the cargo room, nor do they plan on going off-road! I can't relate, but I know these people purchase these vehicles under these circumstances, and exclusivity is a major factor.
  • Options
    Refer to the TOYOTA HIGHLANDER SUV discussion for a fascinating analysis of the relative value of a fully loaded Highlander versus an RX300. The concept of the RX300 being an "upscale" vehicle was used often (by consumer and dealer alike) as justification for favoring it over the competition. In this context (as well as the context in Post#5's question) upscale clearly refers to exclusivity and "class". In this context there is no way that a car owned by the masses can be considered "upscale"! This does not by any means detract from the very real quality of the RX300. However in my opinion it can no longer be considered "upscale" in the same sense as the MB M-Class, BMW X5, and Acura MDX Luxury SUVs.
  • Options
    Msu79gt82-

By your definition then (of the RX300) then I propose that the MDX is not upscale either. The MDX actually is not that expensive and represents a good value if it wasn't for dealers goughing people on the price (I just had one call me). And as soon as Acura get's their act together regarding production, you'll see these things everywhere too and the price will drop to where they belong.

I'm only playing devil's advocate on this subject. I don't own a MDX but consider it a good value. This whole "upscale" subject just weirds me out. Hell, I see ML 320s all over the place right now.
  • Options
    tonychrys has an excellent point! The concept of "upscale" has no relation to quality and/or reality. What may be considered "upscale" today may not be so tomorrow. Yet is it still a very potent selling point, even if somewhat intangible. My original intent was to suggest that numbers (of vehicles on the road) has always played a role in defining what is considered "upscale". In our country's not so distant automobile past there were supposed to be more Chevys on the road than Buicks, which in turn was supposed to outnumber Caddys! Even today there are more Suburbans on the road than Yukons. There are more Tahoes than Escalades, more Expeditions than Navigators, even more Land Cruisers than LX470s. Yet there are now more RX300s on the road than I believe can support the claim of it being "upscale" which of course has nothing to do with reality or quality.
  • Options
    I'll go you one step even further: I truly believe you see many more so called "upscale" vehicles on the road because folks are simply in over their heads financially. This phenomenom started back in the early 90's when personal leasing started to take off and the bank's were "overly optimistic" on the residual values. So now you had the average American who could never afford to buy an upscale vehicle, scraping together every dollar they could on a monthly basis to lease one. Everybody likes to "pretend" until the monthly bill comes and snaps them back to reality.

The residuals on the RX's when they first showed up a couple of years ago were very good, hence more folks were able to get into the cars. With the MDX applying market pressure, Lexus had to then reduce the car this year by $1500, helping even more folks initially get into the car.

TC
  • Options
    Although I agree with you that the MDX is applying some market pressure on the RX300, I still believe the price reduction in the RX300 is more likely a result of increased production for 2001. As I said, a Lexus salesman had forewarned me about the production increase. He told me this almost two months before the MDX first went on sale.

By the way, when Acura gets their act together and is able to increase the production quantities of the MDX, I think we will see more advertising from Acura. I don't think the word on the MDX has spread to the masses! There are still many uninformed potential SUV buyers who do not know about the MDX right now. Hence, I believe there is definitely room to increase the demand for the MDX. (By the way, just imagine how long the waiting lists would be for the MDX right now if there was as much public knowledge on the MDX as their is on the RX300!)

But back to my main point... As production increases, I believe there will be more of an advertising campaign for the MDX. Hopefully, the 2nd-rate dealers who are trying to gouge customers will be forced to stop forcing accessories and/or prices above MSRP. However, I don't think you'll see any significant discounts from MSRP for a long time. As a comparison, look at the Honda Odyssey or the Acura TL. And just when the demand starts to drop off near the end of 2002, Acura will introduce a V8 engine into the MDX, while Honda starts selling their own V6 version of the MDX!
  • Options
    mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    When I take my MDX in for service, I get a free loaner Acura vehicle, be a TL, MDX or even Integra. But I don't get a loaner for my Toyota Sienna or Camry. Local Lexus dealers around here told me they would provide free loaners when I was looking at the RX300. For me, this sets the Acura and Lexus apart from Honda or Toyota as the "upscale" or luxury vehicles.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with you on your points about loaners, however, that is starting to trickle down. One dealer that wants to sell me a loaded JGCL gives free loaners. Another one gives two years of oil changes and car washes. Again, the line on upscale is blurring as more and more dealers adopt these practices.

I went inot the MB dealer to look at ML320s yesterday. Now that's upscale. MB is so convinced that the vehicle is reliable that they throw in schedule maintenance for the entire warranty. Loaners. Trip interuption insurance, they'll put you up in a hotel if you breakdown. If the vehicle is stolen they automatically track it for you. Run out of gas, they come fill you up free-of-charge. Of course, MB loaners.

In regards to Lexus vs. Acura dealers, my take: Most Acura dealerships look like warmed-over Honda dealerships. I've actually seen some ratty looking ones. Lexus dealerships are usually immaculate. Acura dealer calls me today, says he can get me into a MDX by mid-February. I explain to him that we have to get a car within the next week, but thank him for trying. He becomes very abrupt and says "hey, at least we tried" and hangs up.

Funny story: We've been car shopping for the past couple of months. Been "grinded", lied too, kiss upped to, etc, etc. I've driven the RX300, my wife hasn't, so I send her on her own today to the Lexus dealer to test drive. She tells me she walks in, asks to test drive. Guy there hands her the keys and says have a blast as he points to the car out on the lot. She's shocked, "Aren't you going to come along?" He's like, "Nah, enjoy yourself and try the car out." She says, "Don't you want a copy of my license in case I steal it?" He's like, "sure, why not"

She takes it out, drives around for awhile. I must admit, Lexus dealers know how to treat their customers.
  • Options
    My local Acura dealer who services our MDX has a showroom that is nothing to be proud of. On the other hand, the sales and service personnel are very professional. Just like the Lexus dealer mentioned above, they let customers take test drives without a sales person riding along with them. The Acura dealer in Tucson was the same way, "Take the car for a spin and I'll see you when you get back." On the other hand, neither of our local Lexus dealers have let me take a car on a test drive without insisting on a sales person riding along. I would say I've taken about six different Lexus test drives in the past few years from both of these dealers, and they've always included a Lexus salesman riding along and spewing the sales pitch at me. The same holds true for about 4 test drives I've taken at both of our local Mercedes dealers.

By the way, most every German manufacturer now provides free scheduled maintenance for the warranty period. However, they also limit the maintenance visits during the warranty period, so that the savings you receive are not as big as you might expect. For example, a new BMW 3-series is likely to have only 3 free scheduled service visits during the 4-year 50,000 warranty period, and 2 of those 3 visits are nothing much more than oil change services with inspections. I think the same is true for most Mercedes models. Audi's free maintenance program is a bit nicer. I believe they will even replace worn wiper blades for free during the warranty period.
  • Options
    mdx1mdx1 Member Posts: 63
    My first test drive of the MDX was on 10/7, the day when the MDX became available, I asked the salesman if I could take the MDX home to see if it fit in my garage. He said "fine, have a good time". He did not come along. On a subsequent test drive with my family, we took the car out without the salesman either.

When we test drove the RX300, the salesman was sitting in the back seat.

Like MB, Acura offers TLC (Total Luxury Care) which includes the roadside assistance as well.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    MB doesn't limit the number of visits, but I think you have to be within 1500 miles or so of the FSS's recommendation. Canada doesn't get this 4 year scheduled maintenance deal. What we do get is a 2 year/40K kms wear and tear warranty. It covers brake pads/rotors, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc. (excluding tires, of course). Service A is provided free of charge though.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    I have had the same experience. On each MDX test drive (we've had several) the salesman just gave us the keys. The latest trip we took, all 5 of us in our family went along to check the fit. All four drivers (we have 2 teenagers) took a turn behind the wheel.

On the other hand the Lexus dealer down the road has a salesman ride along with you. And they "encourage" you to drive along their recommended route. No such restrictions with the MDX. To be fair I have no doubt I could have taken the RX300 elsewhere, but it wasn't worth the hassle at the time.
  • Options
    Yea the first time I visited the Lexus dealer, the salesperson I met went along to explain everything. I insisted we look for a "bad" road and we did.

But like I said previously, when my wife went into the same dealership the guy there (different salesperson) just said have fun and see you when you get back. So I think it really depends on who is "up" rather than the dealerships themselves.

TC
  • Options
    Technically speaking, BMW does NOT limit the number of visits, either. For BMW, I think you typically need to be within 500 miles of the computer's recommendation for the free scheduled visit. However, from what I've seen and from all that I have heard, the computer seems to recommend a maintenance visit on an average of a 15-16K mile interval. Over a 50K mile warranty, that would translate to only 3 free visits. As you can see, it would take a pretty large deviation from this average in order to qualify for a 4th free visit. I imagine MB is similar, in that new American owners rarely receive more than 3 free visits?

I have a '99 model. The free scheduled maintenance stops at 36K miles on '99 models. Hence, I only get two free visits! That's why I downplay the importance of these free scheduled maintenance programs for most manufacturers. (...but not ALL of them. As I said earlier, I still think Audi offers a better value.)

By the way, my 99 328i did not recommend the first visit until 16.5K miles, and I'm not exactly the lightest foot in the west! But since I do average about 26 mpg around town, I guess I'm not the worst speed demon, either. ;-)

Just curious... in Canada, does MB provide any additional comprehensive or limited drivetrain warranty beyond the 40Kms wear and tear warranty?
  • Options
    stephanief2stephanief2 Member Posts: 18
    My husband and I recently drove the MDX and are seriously considering putting in an order for the MDX with the Touring Package and have read some really good information from everyone who has made some postings. I like the MDX because I think the image of Acura is that it's more upscale than your Honda or Toyota, but they're not set so high that they become a status symbol. It's more in-between (even though once I was in the MDX, it was one of the most luxurious cars I've been in).
    However I felt I had to put some words in about the so-called up-scale market, because it's something I have noticed as a market becoming more and more common and I don't doubt some people are way over their heads financially.
    What I find interesting is the huge amount of so-called up-scale vehicles, like BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus (and not necessarily all SUV'), but sedans as well on the road. I think the boom came when all of these makers came out with "pre-owned" and "pre-certified" cars. It ended up being a great marketing tool for the manufacturers. Consumers began to find out they could own "luxury-cars" that were only 2-3 years old at a more affordable, middle-income price. And who would know if you're driving down the road that you bought it used. Let's face it buying a car "per-certified" is a lot classier than buying "used" and it appealed to a lot of people.
    I was actually looking at a "pre-owned" BMW 5-series, but they're just as common today as a Ford Taurus (okay, but much different). And this all seemed to come around as those famous "pre" marketing words arrived on the market a few years ago.
    Truthfully, I don't even know what upscale is anymore?
  • Options
    You made some good points about the pre-owned luxos. I'll suggest this though, the "pre-certified" ones are no bargain, they cost almost as much as new if the car is only a year or two old. There was a good discussion somewhere on Edmunds about whether the "certification" was really worth it or whether one should just buy privately and verify the maintenance records.

Thanks for adding to the discussion, it's a nice distraction from the PRESSURE of buying a new car (I am right now). 8-P

TC
  • Options
    I went to the dealer during lunch to test drive an MDX. First thing I noticed on the floor model: Touring Package- $37450. I was like, that's cool. Then the add-ons: wood dash, running boards, rear spoiler, wood steering wheel, etc. This thing was now selling for $42,450!!!

I'm sorry, for that much I'll take the ML320 and probably be able to get a navigation system to boot.

Anyhow, drove it for the first time. Fit, finish, feel of materials is good. Drive is another story, it's good, but not that good. Though the engine is a little bigger than the RX300, it's also hauling more weight. Ride was kinda bumpy compared to the RX300. Passenger room was excellent, even for the back seat.

Would I buy one? For $37450, possibly yes. Only because there's one or two things on the MDX that the Lexus doesn't have: Memory linked to Key-fobs and steering wheel mounted radio controls. I like these features.

Two things that hold me back from buying: availability and size. It might be too wide for my narrow driveway, and somebody here made a great comment about possibly getting more door dings in the parking lots. And I have to buy NOW.

I know I can probably bargain a RX300 w/PremiumPlus package down to about $36,500 if I play my cards right.

Oh well, back to car shopping...
  • Options
    Did the dealer explain this cost? There is no way that add-ons cost $5000! Each add-on you listed is on Acura's web page giving retail cost to the customer. Touring w/ Navigation MSRPs for "only" $39450 and the add-ons you list would only add less than $2000 more.

I'm not sure what the etc. included but the 4 ad-ons you specifically mentioned would MSRP at exactly $39177 according to Acura. Wood dash is $153, Wood steering wheel is $534, Running Boards are $619, and Rear deflectors are $619.

Did you test drive one with Navigation? I would demand that the dealer explain each dollar of the added cost.
  • Options
    I didn't memorize the prices, but I did leave some stuff off. You'll love this: Wood Steering $900!! Running boards were like $800!!! Oh yea, and there were fender flares which were pretty expensive.

Anyhow, it wasn't worth discussing since the only thing they had in stock was the floor model and the demo I drove. You can't ask a dealer to take accessories off once they put them on. Doesn't work.

This car is not in my future obviously since I can't wait to buy. Also, it's about 6 inches wider than a RX300 and the PF I currently drive. That actually makes a big difference in my driveway.

TC
  • Options
    stephanief2stephanief2 Member Posts: 18
    You're right some of the pre-owned BMW's I looked at, I could have bought new for maybe $3,000 - $5,000 more. At that time a couple of years ago I would have said that was a big deal. But now after watching the pre-owned market and thinking soon about hauling a family around, I'm definitely thinking new. And that's why I like Acura, you can get a brand new car (SUV) at a somewhat luxurious level with lots of standard options at still less $$$ than what a lot of "American Cars" are going for.
    Good luck car shopping! I haven't had to do it in 6 years and I'm not looking forward to it.
  • Options
    albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    As many reviews and posts already did, MDX clearly shines when compared with ML and RX. Even at the same price(actually they are in the bay area), I would buy MDX. Benz prestige? I like it too, but not enough to overwrite MDX's versatility and performance.

If extra space and seats don't matter, I would go for the X5.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear your Acura dealer is forcing so many overpriced accessories on that MDX. I guess that is why they haven't sold it yet?

Under your circumstances, it sounds like the RX300 is the way to go. Make sure you keep doing your homework on RX300 pricing. The actual selling prices may still be dropping. I just checked, and Carsdirect.com is now pricing a 2001 RX300 AWD with Premium Package Plus for about $35,800 in my local area. From personal experience, I've always been able to beat carsdirect.com prices, whether buying for myself or assisting others with their purchases. (By the way, this price is without the spoiler, HID headlamps, etc.)
  • Options
    Yup, I already used carsdirect.com to get me $5300(!) off the price of a loaded Jeep GC Limited. I'm obviously going to cancel that order. And I already emailed several Lexus dealers in the area and just basically playing them against each other.

Don't feel bad about the MDX, really. It's actually TOO much car for us (if there can be such a thing). We currently lease a Pathfinder and just make it through our driveway. The MDX is a 1/2 foot wider, it would be TIGHT if not impossible. But it is a nice vehicle for the money.

Besides, I like the VSC in the Lexus, something that the MDX doesn't have (yet). And the RX300 has a true AWD where all the wheels normally have some torque. I believe the MDX is front-wheel the majority of the time. Plus, the power train warranty is longer on the Lexus.

Again, the MDX is a great car also. The RX300 just happens to work out better in our present circumstance. I'd be happy with either one.

Well, hopefully I can drive a hard bargain on the phone tomorrow and hopefully commit to a deal by Saturday.

TC
  • Options
    Looks like you know what you're doing. Good luck, and let us know how your RX300 purchase works out!
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    i know this is a little late...but i gotta throw in some props for the qx4. the infiniti dealership i eventually purchased from offered to let me take one of the demos overnite. they simply needed proof of insurance and that was it. i went in to the dealership 5 times prior and only had a salesman with on the first test drive. i have heard some horror stories about certain infiniti dealerships, but for every bad story, others chime in with about 10 good stories (please don't get technical on my figures). i never did take advantage of the overnite offer, but it'd something i'd recommend to anyone looking at a new vehicle. so make that offer to the acura/bmw/mb/lexus dealer and see what they can do for you. and if you haven't already, take some time to look at the qx4, i've never been happier.

-kj

ps. the mdx wasn't out when i purchased, but from what i've researched, i probably would've made the same decision.
  • Options
    Acura: Besides the two Acura dealers I mentioned in Post #73 that allow customers to take test drives without a sales person riding along, I forgot to mention a 3rd Acura dealer that I had used to reserve an MDX due to arrive the 2nd week of October. Because the tags on my Audi A6 were going to expire at the end of September (Note: In Arizona, they are expensive to renew!), a salesman at this 3rd Acura dealer was attempting to offer me a free Acura loaner car for a full week and a half while waiting for the MDX to arrive. I declined because I was willing to take a chance on driving on expired plates to get a slightly better trade-in deal elsewhere. Although I didn't buy from them, I was very impressed with that Acura loaner car offer!

Another item I like about my local Acura dealer is that their loaner cars are all Acuras. They only use rental cars when all the loaners have been taken. Many of our local MB, BMW, Audi, and Lexus dealers use only rental cars, such as a Toyota Corolla.

Lexus: I told a one-sided story against Lexus in Post #73. In all fairness, I should also mention that one of our Lexus dealers regularly advertises an offer where they will have a sales associate drive a new Lexus out to you, and then let you test drive it from your home or office. No need to visit the dealer!

Infiniti: I just helped a close friend buy a 2001 G20, and he was very disappointed by the Infiniti dealership. He was promised one final price over the phone (excluding T.T.L.), but when he arrived, the price was suddently increased over a thousand dollars higher. He was forced to negotiate down several extra fees and dealer add-ons that were not mentioned over the phone. After wasting a couple hours of his time, they finally settled on a price that was similar to what he was promised over the phone! This is a high volume dealer who also sells Nissan cars/trucks, and it appears they still use a low-brow method for selling their Infiniti line. Too bad. I agree that there are some very good Infiniti dealers, but there sure seems to be some heavy inconsistency with them!
  • Options
    We were recently test driving RX300 and MDX. The Lexus sales rep told us up front that they were discounting the RX fairly heavy (~$3000 off MSRP). This of course was before I even began to negotiate at all. THEY were starting $3K below MRSP - I know I could have done better. Haven't taken the process that far yet.
  • Options
    Yup, I've alreay gotten initial offers of $3200 off of MSRP. I'm going for broke and starting to negoitate UP from invoice.

The tide has turn and now makes the RX300 a good value now that it is not selling close to MSRP.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if a Lexus dealer might be willing to lower his price slightly to make an additional sale at the end of the month? I think you said you were in a hurry. Do you have the luxury of waiting until the end of Janurary? During the summer of '98 I had negotiated for a couple days with a Mazda dealer to get what seemed to be the best price possible on a new 1999 Miata, but I told him I needed a few more days to think about it. (This was near the end of the month.) The dealer knew I was serious, and he didn't want to lose my business. I received a call from him the following day, saying he would lower the price another $100 if I was willing to complete the transaction before the end of the month.

Dropping our negotiated price from $18,200 to $18,100 might not seem like much, but I was happy about it. Every $100 helps! :-)
  • Options
    Yup! You could spend the extra bucks on car care products for your new pride and joy.

I can't wait till it gets warm out to try that Zaino stuff everyome is talking about.
  • Options
    I just got off the phone with my dealer and they say that the luxury tax base was raised to $40K beginning in 2001. So all MDXs can escape the luxury tax. Even the Touring w/ Navigation MSRPs at $39450, so no luxury tax. Added accessories such as wheel locks, cargo covers and nets, etc can be paid for separately if necessary. There is no escaping the luxury for the X5 however.
  • Options
    I just put down a down payment on an unbelievable price of $38,500 for a Black, ivory leather and wood, fully loaded, RX300 AWD with Navigation system. $4000 off of MSRP!

I pick it up next Saturday (I have to turn in our '97 PF on lease first). I can't wait, finally, a new toy!
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Congratulations on your new vehicle! Must be satisfying knowing you got a very good deal and have come to market at a very good time.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Took the first step today and talked with a dealer about MDX. Wanted to get a closer look (aside from riding next to one on the road). Great vehicle (standing still at least). Wanted to take one for a drive and dealer said he didn't have one to drive (despite the fact that there were 1/2 dozen on the lot). Gave me a line about how people don't want to buy a "new" vehicle with 50 miles on it. At the rate they're selling them, I don't understand why they wouldn't have at least one vehicle they could designate as a "demo". I have a hard time giving money up to reserve something I haven't driven yet. Sort of like paying up front for a blind date. Not many dealers in my area, and I don't want to go to the ends of the earth to get one. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    That's a load of crap. I test drove an MDX last week at a dealer who had no stock, but they kept one on the lot for test drives only. THe dealer more than encouraged me to drive it.

As others will say, find another dealer who knows how to run his business.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Was that dealer by any chance Acura of Westchester?
  • Options
    Though I live in NY, I work in NJ and went during lunch. The dealer was ACURA OF OCEAN, Monmouth County.

He did have one touring model on the floor, but like I said in previous posts, had managed to mark it up to $42k with add-ons!

If you don't need the MDX cargo space/seating, now is a great time to get a RX300. If you bargain hard you can get a RX300 loaded with Nav for $38,300. I'm picking mine up on Saturday in Westchester.

Good luck car shopping,
    TC