Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MINI Cooper Lease Questions

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    marlinsfanmarlinsfan Member Posts: 2

Thank you for your response.

The $3k due at inception is for:
    $239.50 DMV fees
    $6 NJ Tire Tax
    $136.17 is some sort of tax
    $389 Doc fee
    $925 acquisition/bank fee
    $359 first month lease payment
    $945.33 cap cost reduction

Additionally, I am trading in a used car for $15,500 (which I own free & clear). They are giving me back a check for $12,500 and using the $3000 for the above. They are telling me I am getting a tax benefit for the full $15,500, even though I'm getting most of that back? Does that make sense to you?

The $359 a month includes sales tax. The dealer said the MF is 0.00170 and he gave me the same 56% residual ($18,505.20)

I downloaded an excel file that calculates the payment. After inputting all that in, I'm coming in higher than the $359. Is the difference the sales tax benefit from the trade???

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

The difference could well be the tax credit. I assumed about $1100 for taxes, but if NJ allows trade-in tax credit on a lease, then that would cut that way down. And, if they do allow it, then it doesn't matter if you get a check, or apply it all to the lease. Tax credit for trade-in isn't contingent on how the free cash is applied.

This really isn't a great deal... $2000 in credits from MINI, and they only give you $2500 off. Plus, taking the maximum markups on the money factor and acquisition fee (base fee is $725). It's a decent lease program without the markups and with the $2000 of incentives. As this deal sits, the dealer is basically getting MSRP for the vehicle. All that said, I don't know the market. MINI dealers don't have a lot of close geographical competition. Plus, you have a trade-in. Are they giving you market value, or over-allowing? All of those variables matter, but are hard to know with certainty.

I hate paying finance fee markups, though... that gets under my skin.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    shadrach2shadrach2 Member Posts: 9

A friend's Mini has just dropped another $2K bill on him and he's ready to trade in and lease. I'm out to aid in the process but am out of the loop as far as Mini money factors. If CarMan@edmunds could share the info of what the Mini money factor and depreciation are for a '14 S convertible, 3 yr, 10K/yr lease, it would be most appreciated.
    Thanks a bunch!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

I'm sorry... I don't have the February numbers.. Last month it was .00127 MF and 56% residual. It's probably slightly different for this month..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    shadrach2shadrach2 Member Posts: 9

Thanks a bunch. I'm aware there might well be a difference but this gives me at least some guidance. Much appreciated!

• Options
    aigochamalohaigochamaloh Member Posts: 123

Anyone know when the 0 down $229 lease started? Trying to do research on mf and residuals and what to expect monthly.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

Please visit our 2014 MINI Cooper Lease Questions discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    For current leasing information, go to 2015 MINI Cooper Lease Questions
This discussion has been closed.