Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Mike there is one of you going at about 45 degrees sideways. Yikes!

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/77

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I have the "std" one that they sell for trailers I think the signals and brakes are integrated and the lights are separate. I don't have a trailer with electric brakes so I don't have the other kind. Although I may get a trailer at some point with electric brakes so I may have to figure out how to wire that up.

-mike
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburbans. Everyone I know who has em raves about em and they are fairly reliable. When the time comes to replace my trooper I may have to get a Yukon or Tahoe to replace it. I know it won't be the Envoy/TB

-mike
  • Options
    fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
  • Options
    Took quite a smack there. Good thing there aren't crumple zones or it would have been destroyed completely.

-mike
  • Options
    boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Even though I don't have an LSD. Will the Isuzu LSD fit easily into my 1995.5 Trooper? Would it be a good junk yard part? Can the clutches and springs in the LSD junk yard part be replaced to make it like new?

I would really like the ARB air locker, but $600 plus a compressed air source is expensive and sounds like a lot of trouble to install.
  • Options
    Check out the 4x4 wire for info on which gear ratio etc. you need to put in your truck. I'm not sure of which ones are interchangeable.

-mike
  • Options
    seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    I had a 1999 Suburban that was used as a personal vehicle and a chase vehicle. No major problems in 83,000 miles except for a cracked header (twice) that was repaired under the emissions warranty (twice). Other than that, I believe it was just routine maintenance. It was very comfortable and did about 15 mpg in mixed driving with a 350 and 4.11 (?) rear end. I had read all sorts of horror stories about their reliability on the net but experienced none of them. I think the year 2000 models were buggy (window motors, etc.) but 1999 was a good vintage and the last year of the giant 42 gallon gas tank. We replaced the 'Burban with a one-ton RV conversion van.

That said, I somehow like the Trooper better than the Suburban. It can carry a ton of stuff and still is small enough to maneuver easily. Gas mileage is better and it (subjectively) has more character. Melissa was neutral on the Suburban but loves the trooper. Horses for courses, I guess.

Sean
  • Options
    Am I understanding correctly that this (aftermarket) harness plugs into the Trooper's trailer plug (under the rubber cover) or does it "T" into the wiring connector for the tailights? If it's the former, I'm ordering one today.

Sean
  • Options
    How are you folks mounting your CB antennas? I haven't been happy with any of the cable routing solutions for a roof magnet mount. I think I'll use the trunk lip mount on a K40 to mount it on the rear edge of the hood as we did with the van(the chase is almost always radioing ahead, not back). Suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean
  • Options
    Harness is not a T-connector, it has it's own plug.

For CB I found a great way to route the magnet mount antenna and/or K40. I'm planning on putting a K40 up eventually, but for now I put a magnet mount on the roof just in front of the spoiler in the rear. the wire then goes down into the spoiler area, and along the right hand door edge, then jumps in on the 30% door (which doesn't get opened as often as the 70% one, then goes under the paneling on the right hand side of the truck all the way to the front of the passenger seat. I actually put in a cable from the front to near the 30% door so that I can disconnect the roof one when I want w/o having to undo the wires under the panelling. I plan on replacing the mag mount one with a K-40 lip antenna mounted onto the front edge of the rear spoiler thingy so that I don't have to worry about it flopping off when off-roading. The best part is that it's 99.9% wire-free of showing and the roof height gives it a real good range.

-mike
  • Options
    cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Anyone have exprience pulling a camper trailer with a Trooper? I was wondering how big a trailer a Trooper could pull reasonably.
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I pulled a smallish pop-up camper to Moab from Minnesota, which includes crossing the Rockies. The camper added some load of course, but it only weighs about 1,300 pounds, and frankly the Trooper barely noticed it was there.

I got 16 mpg from Denver to Grand Junction, which incudes Loveland and Vail passes, both of which are in excess of 10,000 feet.

Really, the winds had a much bigger effect on gas mileage and performance than the hills did. Of course the pop-up camper is low profile so the wind didn't affect it much behind the big ol' Trooper.
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    If you went through the Eisenhower tunnel (11,111' mean sea level and about 1-2 miles long) you did not go over the pass. Were you just sightseeing? It would have taken you about 10-15 miles out of your way. Just wondering.

Jim
  • Options
    I think the antenna will transmit better in the direction over more ground plane, in the case of a Trooper mount the antenna at the rear to transmit forward.

pre-1992 Troopers can mount their antenna by drilling a hole in the spare tire mount near the door and a hole in the door with a gromet and sealant. Then run the antenna cable (buy a good grade of 50 Ohm cable since the cable loss will be a lot through the bends and length in a Trooper from rear to front.) through the door along with the other wires then inside panels and or under carpet edges to the dash mounted CB.

1992-02 I saw a picture of a bracket made to mount to the spare tire mount. then same as pre-1992.

For me, I have a magnet mount antenna (Wilson I think, it is a good one for one car and a Radio shack cheapo for the other car) that I on top middle of the roof just in front of my Thule cross bar which is mounted to the factory roof rack holes . Then run the wire to the forward part of the drivers side passneger door and pass it through the grab handle there. Then excess cable goes under the seat. There is about two feet of cable on the roof. I think the magnet mount is cannot be knocked off by any amount of offroading, maybe it would slide off if I hit something hard enough to set off an air bag.
  • Options
    Everyone with a magnet mount antenna looses it when off-roading on the east coast. Basically the first low-lieing tree will knock it off. The spring-loaded one I have from radio shack is good, but still comes off if whacked with a branch hard or at speed.

-mike
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    OK ya caught me. I went UNDER Loveland pass LOL.

I just didn't know what to call the "pass" when you use the Eisenhower tunnel.
  • Options
    If you count wiping the mag mount off with a tree, is that not better than breaking off a hard mounted antenna? At least you have a chance to either get the mag mount antenna out of the way first or put it right back up there if the cable survived. It might be a good idea to leave some slack in the cable so it can absorb some energy if wiped off.

In that case how about a long whip on a big spring on one of the bumpers. In NC an antenna on the front bumper in the middle would blend in with all the salt water fishing poles mounted there. Put a 2" receiver hitch on both front and rear and mount the big whip and spring CB antenna on hitch instead of the ball. Just bend it out of the way to open the back door.

That brings up an idea for an improvement over the current Calmini rear bumper: Instead of those two sharp cut by torch from plate steel welded on shackle mounting things sticking out waiting to hurt the kids or your knee, put 2" or smaller receivers there. Put them simetrically about the center such that the one on the little door side is far enough out to let the big door open past the antenna. Then the shackle mount could be removed for a relatively smooth bumper and the smaller non-center receiver could be used for an antenna mount or to hold a spare water or fuel can.

Or get one of those spare tire mounts for bicycles and bolt the spring and whip antenna to that. The antenna would not be sandwiched between the tire and door so the spring would have room to yield to save the antenna from breaking.
  • Options
    Currently I put the mag mount antenna onto the Corvette Killer in the rear (rear bumper protector) when offroading.

The problem is not that you hit a tree and break the hard mounted antenna, the problem is that it doesn't have the strength to overcome the shock of a branch hitting the antenna. I'm sure once the K40 is mounted on the lip of the rear spoiler it will not break during offroading. I also like it being way up high cause then it is less likely to be messed with by kids on the street. Sitting on a bumper it is more likely to get whacked. Also I like to do installs that are relatively easily un-done, if you start cutting into the bumper or rear doors, there is no turning around.

-mike
  • Options
    marty2marty2 Member Posts: 11
    CWMOSER--
    I HAVE A 00 S 4X4,NO PROBLEMS TOWING A 25 FT. TRAILER 4400LBS,MOST OF THE TOWING IS UP STATE NY.
    WHEN TOWING I USE THE POWER DRIVE,AVERAGE GAS MILES HAS BEEN 11.5. MARTY
  • Options
    For those of you who only go off-roading every so often, a HH CB works OK. I wouldn't say great, but for under 1/2 mile it works decently. I got a cobra 38wxst refurbished for $28. One thing that HH units have over permanent mounts are features for less. Channel scan and dual watch are both nice, and not available in the $50-75ish permanent mounts. I may eventually get a permanent mount, but for now I can get the feel for what I want and need with a HH unit.
  • Options
    Marty2,
    So you tow a 25' 4400 lb trailer and no problems - that sounds encouraging. I am thinking about a purchasing a camper trailer but thought I would have to settle for something much smaller. Do you have any recommendations about camper trailers in general you could provide to someone who has never owned one? Any special setups needed for the Trooper? I have a Class III 2" hitch but I suppose something more would have to be installed.
  • Options
    Welcome to the crew. I have a place up in the Adirondacks! Maybe I'll run into you sometime.

-mike
  • Options
    emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    Considering the ground plane, as boxtrooper mentioned, it's best to mound in the middle of the roof. I use CB for offroading only, so I use Wilson mag mount antenna mounted just behind the moonroof (slightly off center due to raised section of the roof) and route the cable from top of the rear passenger-side door into the cabin. The antenna is quite flexible that I can go under tree branch about 3' above the roof without it getting knocked off (drive slowly, of couse).

Mounting on the ednge of the hood looks nice, but noise from engine, etc. would affect the antenna performance.

...Eiji...
  • Options
    mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Has anyone looked at the options of going with FRS or GMRS radios? The FRS frequencies don't need any licensure, but at 2 watts, only work about 1 mile at best or less. In town, there might be a lot of interference or traffic from other users, but off road, the channels are usually clear.
    I'm looking at GMRS radios that are 5 watts and definitely work for 1 to 2 miles without problem although you need a license. About $75 bucks for a 'family' license IIRC.
    The shrink wrap FRS radios are dirt cheap (for a reason) anywhere from $20 to $100 bucks a pair. GMRS radios are more expensive $80 each and higher, although usually not more than $150 each. Some, that are ~$90 a pair are GMRS but limited to 2 watts instead of 5.
    Still looking
  • Options
    I dunno, the std for off-roading is CBs also on the road travelling I find that the CB is invaluable to alert you of traffic and "Kojacks with Kodaks" aka cops. I have also had some intersting convos with truckers during my 40K of driving I do every year :)

-mike
  • Options
    bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    Anyone know how difficult it is to install fog lights on a 98+ Trooper that doesn't have the factory lights? Is the wiring already there? Are switches available which fit the empty locations on the dash? This may be silly, but I don't like the look of the empty "holes" in the front bumper when the lights are not installed. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Just pro-any-new-gadget, like GPS. As sbcooke brought out, sometimes the CB's have limited range and are large. The GMRS radios are small, lightweight, and have generally good or consistent range, from what I have read. The FRS radios are def. short range. Both have good clarity though. Do you all find static to be an issue with CB's, or using the squelch to limit static, limits reception too?

As to fogs, try the new and improved search in the Isuzu owner's forum, I think under aftermarket accessories or maintenance. The wiring is there, you just need to connect from somewhere on the right kick panel to a switch added to the dash, add the relay for the lights in the engine compartment and hook up the lights. Relay and factory switch are available from St. Charles Isuzu and info on how to do it is in the forums. You may also check out Paisan's site at www.isuzu-suvs.com for vendor info.

I'm sure a lot of people will respond to this question.
  • Options
    Only time I've had a problem with range and clarity is on cheap and/or poorly installed units. Generally if you have a 1/2way decent unit (about $100) and mount your antenna properly the range is very consistent @ about 3 miles, as for clarity I squelch it down and it's the same clarity as the other 2-way radios out there. I like having it permenantly mounted in my vehicle cause then I can just jump on ch 19 whenever I'm travelling to find out traffic conditions. Much more useful than traffic radio.

MMM GPS. I love mine :)

-mike
  • Options
    Stock fogs are cool if you want em for looks. If you don't want em for looks I'd look elsewhere for a Hella that will fit in the holes or get a nudge bar and mount some lights on there. The stockers are pretty much useless. I'll sell my stockers as soon as I get an ECB Bull Bar on my truck since there is no mounting spots on there for em.

-mike
  • Options
    Hi CWMOSER,

I've been towing for years with pick-up trucks 1/2 to 3/4.The trooper was just a fill in for my part time plumbing business,I now drive it full time,recommend a Coacmen light,sway control,electric brakes. class 3 hitch. When the trailer is loaded I'am looking at approximate 4800 lbs towing,300lbs with kayaks,etc, on and in the trooper,as I stated, I use the power drive and never exceed 55 mph. The trooper is quality buy,
    with rebates and under dearlers cost,I purchased
    the 00 trooper s,4x4,tod,for $22,000 (year ending 00 )First motor vehicle I kept over a year in my life time. Marty
  • Options
    patrickbodpatrickbod Member Posts: 2
    Hi: My 99 Trouper has 26k and the oil level goes from max to minimum after 3000 miles city/road drive.
    This should be a concern few months before the warranty will expire? Thank for the input
    Pat
  • Options
    bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    99' Trooper Luxury model. 39,000 miles, very clean condition, all options priced at 17,900. Good, bad, fair deal??
  • Options
    bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    using a quart every 3000 miles is not a BIG concern. A lot of discussion on this board about folks with Troopers using about that much oil. But, didn't your Trooper use oil before now?? Is this a new issue for you at 26,000 miles?? If so, I'd wonder why it just started.
  • Options
    Hmm I do the opposite when towing, I usually leave the power mode off. Any particular reasoning behind leaving it on?

-mike
  • Options
    marty2,

Thanks for the information. Looks like you are towing 4800 + 300 = 5100 lbs and feel ok with it. Great. I had the perception that with the Troopers 5,000 towing capacity one had to back off and only consider say 3500 lbs.
  • Options
    I regularly tow a car-trailer @ 5500lbs + gear. The profile though is smaller than a camper so X-winds aren't as much of an issue.

-mike
  • Options
    gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Doesn't sound too bad. A friend of mine recently bought a 2000 S auto, tod w/ 18,000 miles for $16,900 here in KC.
  • Options
    bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    Does anybody know which years/models of Trooper had the automatic climate control? I don't think this was mentioned in the previous discussions about the running changes in the 98+ Troopers.

Does the automatic system use the same basic components as the manual system, or is there a performance difference? I live in a hot climate, so I'm curious if there is a difference in cooling capacity between the automatic and manual systems. I'm aware that the electric condenser fan was added in 2001.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 with the auto climate. Truthfully, I never use it. I like it cold, so I simply set the control to the coldest setting and adjust the temperature via fan flow, get too cold, turn fan down; get too hot, turn fan up. With the auto system, I don't like how the fan blows real fast for a while (at full) until settling down. Too noisy. Basically, the auto system will blend a/c, vent, and heater to maintain temp. It may be of greater benefit in high humidity areas than where pure heat or a/c is desired.
  • Options
    Hi paisan,

Thanks for the welcome,I live in Albany and plan on taking the kayaks to the South Pond area this weekend Sat.or Sunday.Lucky you to have a place in the Adirondacks. Marty
  • Options
    Cool, I'll be up at my place in Caroga Lake July 3->14 so maybe we can hookup and compare troopers.

-mike
  • Options
    I find it to work great here in NYC.

2000 was the first year with auto-climate. But no extra fan on the condenser. That extra fan is very useful apparently.

-mike
  • Options
    pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    I was sent to a local dealership tonight to check out a late model Outback. It wasn't there, but a white 2001 Trooper caught my eye.

The dealership was closed, so I don't know how many miles are on it. They want $16,999 for it. It appears to have 4WD, a 3.5L engine, automatic transmission, cloth seats and torque on demand (no sunroof or any other luxury items, so maybe it's a base model). The exterior seems to be in very good condition.

Also, the windshield carries a "certified used vehicle" sticker. It's a Ford dealership, however, so I don't know how the Trooper was certified.

I'm looking at a Legacy L, but the Trooper seems to have a lot of room and I've always been partial to trucks. Is '01 Trooper (generally speaking) a decent used vehicle? Are there things to watch out for? Am I a nut for considering this as an alternative to a new Legacy?
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    17 grand for a nearly new Trooper sounds pretty good to me. You are getting a TON of vehicle for the money. If you can use more room than the Legacy and don't mind significantly worse gas mileage (mid teens city, high teens highway seems to be the average on the 3.5L Troopers), this is a great vehicle. Trooper shares many characteristics of Subarus: more 'personality', less common, very reliable, etc etc etc.

The newer Troopers are quality vehicles at cheap prices. Consumers are largely unaware of how good they are.
  • Options
    Being a subie and Isuzu nut... I almost bought a legacy wagon in 2000 had a deposit on it and everything. Then I drove the Trooper and bought it instead. Subies are great cars but the value in a Trooper is a lot more. On par or better reliability as subies, tons more luxury and room. Downsides are fuel economy and handling. I'm not gonna lie to you the handling of a 4500lb truck-based vehicle is not the same as a legacy (my dad has a legacy, uncle has an outback, cousin has an outback, I have an XT6)

That also seems like a real good price. Let us know how it goes, also let us know where it is if you don't buy it, someone here might be interested in it.

-mike
  • Options
    keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Hey is it just me or does the new format SUCK?
  • Options
    I am watching for awsome deals on Troopers, If there is a real deal that I can't pass up, I may have to alter my 10 year 200K+ before selling a Trooper rule on my 1995 with only 125K.

I want "grade logic TOD" or manual and limited slip 4WD and a light color since I live in the sunny South.
  • Options
    I don't really see much of a difference. I use SUV all discussions. It is the same as before other than font changes? I assume with the display changes they made a lot of search engine changes?
  • Options
    keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I can click on view all to bring up all the discussions instead of the way they now have them broken out. I guess it just means a few extra clicks. Add a couple more clicks and it turns the site into a Rube Goldberg.