Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    i also asked the dealer to perform oil change to mobil 1 at about 5000 miles. at that point, the FSS showed some 5000 miles. When they did the oil change, they resetted the FSS. even after I reminded SA not to. Techs did it, and later admitted they shouldn't have. So according to FSS computer, I've done service A, but I haven't.
    So dealer will do my service A at 10000 miles.
    I"m about 9800 miles now.

Apparently, it's not such a big deal. FSS only monitors oil so ... or at least that is what my SA said. For example, he said they must definately do Service A before the ML has reached it's first b'day or 12000 driven miles. FOr realignment and rotation etc...

so my FSS is kinda screwed up now. he plans to reset FSS ...it displays two spanners and no services A or B have been performed..heheh...

I can't recall how much I have left on FSS now, but it's pretty high. Some 6000 miles. But this number doesn't mean anything now...the understanding between my SA and me is that they will perform Service A pretty soon. right about 10000 miles on odometer.=)

dt77
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    Try besetting the FUSS yourself.
    Very simple; see manual.
    You will then be better prepared to control your own maintenance intervals especially oil changes if you intend to keep the vehicle past its warranty period.

While it is true that new oils of all kinds maintain viscosity for a much longer period and the FUSS will confirm this it is not necessarily true that filter elements continue to filter as efficiently as when new.

Why not eliminate for a few dollars the long term worry about causing what can be considered easily preventable wear on so many finely machined engine parts.
  • jwomacjwomac Posts: 7
    Had my 00 ML-320 in for service yesterday (at Long Mercedes in Chattanooga). The rear driver-side window had started getting "goop" on it when rolled down all the way. The servicer was very familiar with the issue. The CD changer had also started to fail at times playing for a second and then skipping for several seconds. Other times, it would work fine. They fixed the door and replaced the changer. I also got them to replace the console lid under warranty (for the bubbling that others have seen also). I was given a Grand Am from Enterprise as a loaner. I also asked the service manager about the new synthetic policy. He confirmed that MB had authorized them to use Mobil 1 , Pennzoil, and Castrol synthetics but that their dealership would only be using the Mobil 1.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    My coolant leak has re appeared, in what appears the same location, within two weeks of the dealers water pump/gasket renewal procedure. I had been noticing the ground under my ML at work damp, but I assumed it was from the old coolant that had leaked, but yesterday it looked to fresh and when I looked I saw coolant dripping from the sway bar.

Called the dealer and they can't get me in till next Tuesday. Hopefully it won't be another two day wait for parts to try and fix it right again.

I'm getting to know the service area far to well.. While I love this vehicle, I certainly didn't expect it to be in the shop so much.
  • I am considering a ML-320 or 430 with 3rd row seating. We are a family of 4 with 20 pound dog, mostly suburbs driving, no off-roading. We will "roadtrip" often to locations 3 - 8 hours away. I am wondering if this vehicle would be frustratingly small for us. I you might think we could do without the 3rd row seats to gain more cargo room, but not for carpooling and outings with grandparents. Anyone with advice out there? I test drove the MDX and did not like it...felt like a toy that tipped. Also have been looking at full size SUVs but I just don't like driving those big trucks. Currently we are in a minivan and enjoy the room, but would like more safety features. (Higher riding, better crash tests, etc.)
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    I beleive that they fold up and with that option, the rear windows open up. As to cargo space, you could alway put a cargo box on the roof if the 3rd seating was necessary. The ML accessory booklet has a couple of options in this area. As to the 6 v 8, the 8 does use up more fuel but comes std with the MCS, bigger brakes and tires, and other std equipment that would be options on the 320. Compare both units apple to apples, equipmentwise, less the engine, tires and brakes, then decide if the difference in $$$ is worth it for those 3 items. My wife loves the mcs, poor sense of direction, and having had a 320, the v-8 does give extra oumph on the highway, getting on and passing. Just a few thoughts to consider.
    I recieved my updated nav CDs from Navtech 2 days ago. Seems like this is normal procedure ? cuz I never contacted anyone to get it updated...

Instead of the old one which says 1999.1, it says 2000.1 now. Once you place the new CD in, a software download actually takes place for about a minute ...

dt77
  • andrew36andrew36 Posts: 7
    In response to post 1989:
  • andrew36andrew36 Posts: 7
    Unless you don't care much about power, steering, and GPS, go with the 320. I have a "00 430 and it's great. But... you need to test drive them both back to back and see what you think.
    Other safe SUV'S to consider:
    BMW X-5: Great SUV but probably WAY TOO SMALL
    Lexus RX-300: Great car-like/mini-van like choice with decent interior room.
    Mitsubishi Monetero - OK crash scores but has 3rd row seat
    The X-5 - way to stiff.
    RX300 - floats like a boat
    ML430 - inbetween, just right =)

depends what you like.
    again, i recommend test driving all ! =)

dt77
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    He didn't show at Friday Freeway, and that's not like him. I wonder if the quake may have taken out his cable modem service? Everybody have a great weekend!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,881
    He's around (putting out fires in Azteks at the moment).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    dt77 Mar 2, 2001 3:41pm

"RX300 - floats like a boat"

I suspect this statement is based on a MY2000 vehicle. For 2001 the suspension is a bit tighter, and a set of Michs or Pirellis make the handling even better (the stock GY Integritys are poor when it comes to sport handling). Plus there is the SilverSport Edition for folks who want a "euro-tuned" suspension.

But you are absolutely right, drive all for yourself and decide.
  • ometofuometofu Posts: 53
    Get your ML ready people. A major storm will reach its menacing arms toward the Northeast by Sunday, and stick around for a few days. Any advise from ML owners in Canadan on how to deal with 12" or more of snow.
  • wnielwniel Posts: 97
    I just got back from Mammoth Mountain in the Sierra's where they had over 12' of new snow in the month of February alone. I was there for a week of skiing, and it snowed five of the seven days I was there. One thing for sure if you are going down hill and it's icey or slippery one is better off shifting down through the gears instead of using the brakes. If the ABS kicks in you have lost most all of your stopping ability. In shifting down through the gears the engine and traction control keep you from sliding and slipping and then you can use your brakes for the final few feet. I had a bad experience while I was there. I was sitting at the bottom of a hill at a stopsign waiting for the traffic to clear where I had used the above technique. I had no problem stopping and a new 2 ton Dodge Ram truck 4 wheel drive couldn't stop and ran into the back of me. He missed the bumper completely as the truck sits up so high and hit the hatch door breaking out the glass. My ML is now in the bodyshop having 2400.00 worth of damage rapaired.
    Having driven in that environment a lot over the last few years has tought me a lot about how to drive in those conditions.
    Wally
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Yes...stay home ;-) Actually, use your common sense and leave extra room for yourself as well as others in less capable vehicles/with less capable driving skills and you should be fine. Don't forget the small shovel, the sand/kitty litter, and the cellphone just in case you do get stuck.

Don't use low range in the snow (since the front wheels will lock), and use engine braking to help to slow you down.

Have fun! I'm jealous...no snow or rain out here today :-(
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Hope that you or anyone else with you was not injured. Do you know approximately how fast the pickup was going when he impacted your vehicle? Were you pushed significantly forward and was your ML damaged anywhere else?

Take care!
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Wally:
    Sorry to hear about that. Any chance you have pics of both cars? Sorry...morbid curiosity. :-)
    There probably wasn't anything you could do. I've had people do that to my Integra in the rain here in the Boston area...where "safety gap" means no one can safely cut you off (I get cut off a lot)-:
  • drmhfdrmhf Posts: 29
    I just negotiated a deal for a 2001 ML 320 from a dealer on LI in NY.
    M1 package
    Heated seats
    Power skyview top
    Alpine in-dash CD
    Azure blue metallic
    Sticker=$41,995
    Invoice=$39,129
    The salesman agreed to a price of $39,500. + tax. $371 over invoice.
    The car has to be ordered and will take about 8 weeks.
    Am I getting a good price, or can I do better?
    Thanks, Mark
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    Ha ha haaa!!! What in the world...?

Disgusted Tarik

• wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    an accessory to padlock your hood ;-)
  • wnielwniel Posts: 97
    No I don't have pictures. Had to have temp repairs done at a body shop in Mammoth as the latch wouldn't latch. The floor was pushed back in about five inches because of the door being pushed in that much. Had to pull out the lower latch a few inches and then drilled a hole through the door to attach a wire to the locking mechanism to onlatch the door. Then took heavy plastic and taped over the broken window to help seal and keep out the weather. We drove halfway home in heavy snow before the snow turned to heavy rain. Had to stop one time to retape the plastic as the wind and rain had loosened it up so that it was flapping in the wind. I had my son-in-law with me and neither of us was hurt other than a little stiffness in the neck for a day or so. The driver of the other vehicle claimed he was only doing about 3MPH and I said B/S. We were hit hard enough that the slide under the sunroof slid open. It was definitely a heavy hit that got your attention in a big way. Had he only been going that fast we wouldn't have had all of the damage even though he missed the bumper. I would say that he was going 7-10 MPH.
    Wally
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    William, nice thought, LOL!

How about the lower wing being a release mechanism for the spring loaded hockey stick on top of the hood, leaving an imprint of the three-pointed star on your forehead?

Can't imagine what those folks were thinking... ...how would you describe it... ...contest "go"!

Tarik
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    I feel your pain,

I'm surprised that it caused that much damage. When I was rearended by a tahoe last summer the rear hatch was caved in, the galss didnt break, but they replaced the whole rear hatch. I do think that the Tahoe was going much faster than yours because he was coming from highway speeds. I think that the hitch took most of the impact as the tahoe bumper had a huge pinhole dent that looked to hit the structure of the Tahoe.

At the same time the hitch probably caused more dmage to the ML as well... It bent teh rear member that holds the hitch reciever, thus bent it. Total cost for the other guy was about $$8000

Like you said though the bumper of the Ram is higher so it probably didnt do internal damage.

Glad no one was hurt,
    Robert
    Could one say:

Das ist häßlich!

Robert
    The rear crossmember that holds the trailer hitch receiver is also the rear bumper, so even if you didn't have it, it would've been damaged by the impact anyway. In fact, I think that the rear bumper would be damaged even more so if you didn't have the hitch.
    I just thought that the hitch gave the impact the leverage (perhaps moreso) to break the cross member. Rather than taking a flat impact the Tahoe hit the hitch and pushed it down. After the impact it was pushed down but no major bumper damage.

Click for a bigger pic:

Robert
  • dmh10dmh10 Posts: 8
    I ordered a new engine air filter from Mercedes recently and they sent me a filter that does fit into the filter housing but the filter element is not straight across on the bottom like the original but is stepped up on one side across the bottom. The original filter element is part #604 094 00 04 and my replacement filter is part #604 094 14 04. Does anyone know if they gave me the
    wrong filter or is it a new design for the filter.

Thanks

Mark
  • Hey,

To sound like a complete brat, for the winter, my parents gave me their ML320 (paranoid Jewish mother...not necessarily a bad thing in this case). I'm in Cornell, where it's winter 11 months a year (it snowed 6 days in a row this week...and as I speak too), so the car gets COVERED in road salt. Would mudflaps help keep dirt and salt off the side steps? Whenever you get out of the car, the bottom of your pants have a nice white line on the back. I just brought myself to wash it, but I know it's just going to get dirty again in 4 minutes. Thanks.

Oh yeah, about post 2004, I had no idea that Pontiac designed accessories for the CLK.

-Todd