Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS V8 Overheating and Fan Problems

trofsytrofsy Member Posts: 4
I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 125k miles.

Please help.

When I start driving the car, the temperature gauge reaches the mid point pretty quick -- within about 2 minutes -- whether it is a hot day or cool night. It will stay at the mid point anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes, but then the temp. gauge quickley rises and the coolant begins to bubble violently in the tank. If I don’t shut the car off immediately and let it keep overheating, the coolant will leak out of the top of the resovoir cap until it’s all over the ground. It goes without saying that I often smell burning coolant even when it’s not overheating.

Things I HAVE TO DO - (goes maybe 45 minutes without overheating):
-Turn the HEAT on high (no A/C)***
-Keep the hood popped open.
-Try to drive it at night when it’s cooler outside.

Things I CAN’T DO - (goes only 15 minutes without overheating):
-Turn on the A/C.
-Sit in stop & go traffic.
-Drive it when it’s hot outside, which is hard to do because I live in SOUTH FLORIDA.

***When I try to turn the HEAT on when the car is already overheating, NO HOT air comes out, only room temp. air.***

Obviously, I pretty much have to keep my travels very close to home.

THINGS I’VE TRIED:
Coolant tank has been replaced recently – there’s no leak in the new tank.
The thermostat has just been replaced.
The ‘bleed cap’ has been removed once to let air out, but didn’t seem to make a difference.

What’s next?

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Check the fan to make sure it's continuing to run at the correct speed.

The bleed procedure is more than just opening the bleed valve. I'm sure you can find the whole procedure with a google search.

The last thing to check would be the water pump.
  • Options
    ccarlitosccarlitos Member Posts: 1
    i have exactly the same problem, i will follow your steps, peraphs, i will try also to check the fan, as far as i know, this cooling systems uses an hydrualic pump to move the fan, the problem maybe eather the fan, te pump or the oil deposit.

i may try this weekend, and i'll let you guys know the results..

regards.
  • Options
    trofsytrofsy Member Posts: 4
    What have you done to fix your issue? Did it work?

Thanks
  • Options
    lovinmylincolnlovinmylincoln Member Posts: 2
    YESTERDAY DAY MY LINCOLN LS 2000 WAS MAKING LOUD NOISE FROM ENGINE, TOOK TO SHOP MECHANIC ADDED FLUID AND IMMEDIATELY THE NOISE STOPPED. MECHANIC ASSURED IT JUST NEEDED MORE FLUID. WELL TODAY ENDING SMOKING A LITTLE BUT CAR NOT OVERHEATING, CHECKED FAN FLUID LEVEL AND IT HAS DROPPED SINCE YESTERDAY. IM NOW CONVINCED THERE IS AN ISSUE. IS THIS FLUID LEAK SOMETHING THAT CAN BE REPAIRED OR DO I HAVE TO REPLACE WHOLE FAN?
  • Options
    imaluthier71imaluthier71 Member Posts: 1
    Usually the degas bottle slowly rots and will not show signs of leakage, but if it's yellowed, replace it, then put a purge kit on the heater hose line, and purge from there with the bleeder open until all the air hisses out of it and you have a steady dribble...make sure the level at the degas bottle (or as some would call, the recovery tank) is to factory spec...I went round and round with my 2003 LS v8 on the overheating until I did this, practically replacing everything over the course of a year...but purging from the heater hose will push the air out of the coolant system better than ANY Lincoln recommended process, and air in the system KILLS the plastic parts of any LS's cooling system. The pressure building usually causes cracks to form in the plastic components...