Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Is it ever!!!
  • Contrary to popular belief on this board, chics do drive GTIs. Here in New England I've seen a lot of chics driving them, as I do myself. And yes, I even have the VR6! I just wish it was more reliable and didn't cost a fortune to repair! And, as my username indicates, chics are also engineers too. :)
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    ...but would you call it a chick car?
  • The Cabrio is the chick car! The GTI is usually bought by driving enthusiasts, which usually aren't female. Most females don't care what they drive and don't care about performance, and usually don't drive standards. And note my disclaimer, 'usually'. I picked the GTI because I wanted a hatchback with a good German clutch, good handling and the F....A.....S.....T....VR6 engine. Plus the color really sold me, the driver's yellow, offered in the Make 3's.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Maybe I should relocate to new england as New Jersey and south....there's the lack of engineering chicks.

Just wondering which branch of engineering?

Psst, it's Mark 3
  • manufacturing engineer...industrial by training

I stand corrected on the Mark 3 term, oops.
    Project Engineer (Mechanical)

Trained mostly in manufacturing and quality engineering (it includes working for a VW supplier also....)

you're on vortex right?
  • kryosynthkryosynth Posts: 1
    7 months ive had this thing. Got the Air bag system repaired and both window regulators repaired. Including the glass and tint of course since they got shattered from the regulator failure. And generally speaking, VW service is just CRAPPY. But i do recommend Osborne on west colfax at around wadsworth.
    Window regulators....the common problem with the MKIV's.

Though I heard that the tint will actually help speed the regulators to its death. According to a non-VW mechanic...a "automotive repair expert" Pat Goss (who is probably going to see the regular fail in his New Beetle sooner or later)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    TDI is one model and 1.8T is an entirely different model. The GTI is not offered in the US with TDI so all I can think is that you do not own a VW or you are lacking even the basic knowledge of what model car you own. Either way there is a new design part for window regulator repair that may end the regulator failures.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    kryosynth is probably a Honda owner that got his doors blown off by a 1.8t GTI - or maybe it was a TDI Golf that did it and he was so impressed by all that TDI diesel performance that he thought it must have been a GTI that dusted his Honda :-) My 2002 GTI has had no problems in 10k miles - and the window regulators have been redesigned. Plus when the window regulators failed on pre 2002 Golfs the windows didn't break. Sounds like another case of Honda/ Nissan/ Toyota buyers remorse/ VW envy to me.
  • mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    anyone know where i can find a 2002? i live on long island, and have checked all l.i. dealers as well as brooklyn, manhattan (they have 2 337's available for 24800), a few ct dealers, one nj, and some bronx and westchester. found a couple without sunroof, but i really want one w/roof.
    try trend motors in Rockaway, nj

http://www.trendmotors.com

They do have one in stock, silver with black cloth with Lux, Cold weather, & 17" rims.

They can also add 17" rims for the same price as the factory, as they have done that before

• nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    The two ring 2nd gear syncronizer on my 2002 5 speed (180 hp 4 cyl turbo model) produced crashy 1st to 2nd high rpm shifts when the car was hot. At 9500 miles VW replaced the syncro with an upgraded 3 ring syncro which seems to have cured the problem. Anyone else had similar syncro problems?
  • mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    thanks, but no manuals at trend either. i guess i'm waiting till 2003 models. are there any color changes for 2003. possibly a steel grey?
  • dom77dom77 Posts: 7
    Hi folks,
    My fiancee and I are planning to buy either an '02 GTI VR6 or an Acura RSX. We both love the speed and power of the GTI, and also prefer its looks and features -- BUT, we are concerned about what we've heard about VW reliability as compared to Honda's/Acura's (so much so that we're leaning strongly towards the RSX, even though no car we've test driven has made us smile like the GTI). We are both entering 5 year doctoral programs, and want the car to last at least 5 years without major repairs, and hopefully more (like 10).

So, I'd love to hear any thoughts on the reliability of GTI VR6s, and late model VWs in general. Neither of us has owned a VW before. Thanks!
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The reliability is average for VW. The Acura is very much better than average. The warranty for VW is 4yr/50K bumper to bumper which is very good. You are likely to make a trip to the dealer for some kind of problem during ownership of GTI and probably only maintenance for the Acura. If this would be a problem then I would recommend the RSX and if not then get the GTI and enjoy it.
  • dom77dom77 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info, moparbad. Looks like my decision might be an easy one, as I just called five local (DC metro area) dealers and none has the VR6 w/sunroof.
    ASk them to locate one...they were more than willing to locate one for me when I purchased my TDI.
  • nixomosenixomose Posts: 95
    So a few weeks ago a tree fell on my gti. ugh. 32K miles, new roof, new windshield and hood. Now nothing lines up, the sunroof still doesn't work right, but at least it doesn't leak.
    Of course that's not as bad as when I bought it and had just 1200 miles on it and a deer blindsided me. It's just not right.

That said, the MKIV's by design aren't as good as the MKII's in my opinion.
    Someboy mentioned the climatronic before. I would normally use foul language in describing the thing, but I've already been warned to watch it.

Yes, it is quite impossible to get it to blow the temperature air you want if the sensors decide that it's too cold or warm by comparison. This is a stupid design that there's no question VW just majorly dropped the ball on.
    You also can't turn off the auto tinting rear view mirror. I'll have to thank them for that too.

I've been a gti nut since 1988 when I first sat in one, but minus the tree and the deer, VW is not impressing me lately (and forget about dealer service. jack daniels in NJ, or don't bother)

The new vr6's you can get without the leather and climatronic and all that other crap I didn't want, but I was first on the block, and I'm paying for it.

But I've decided to stick with it. So I'm putting on dunlop sp8000's today (although it recently occured to me that I only got 32K out of the original RSA's, not too good either) and I'm going to do the suspension in a few weeks when I have time. Any suggestions? The stock suspension makes me think I'm in a caddy. I want rock solid stiff. I'm a cornering freak.

About synchros. I've had weird very rare and random misses from 2nd to 3rd. I expect resistance from the synchros so I push hard when shifting fast, but every once in a while, there's nothing, and I just grind the gear real bad.
    Anybody ever hear of this?
    I can't reproduce it consistently, so I'm not sure quite what the symptons are.

I'll stop ranting now...