Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• Options
    chuy8chuy8 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I am new to this board but have a question. how do I get the face plate off a 96 sable ls? I also get loud fan noise when my a/c is on, is this common? Thanks
  • Options
    ndfarndfar Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone used the ethanol blend gasoline? They sell it here for the same price as regular but the octane is 90 instad of 87. I have a 99 and a 2000 Taurus no problems with the 2000 with 31,000 miles but the 99 has 29,000 and the rotors have been turned because of wheel shimmy during braking and the wiper switch replaced because they came on when you turn on the turn signal.
  • Options
    iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    hey I'm comin' your way Tuesday!

ethanol-can't comment on it, but as long as you've got a flex fuel motor, should be good. 2 weeks ago there was a station outside of Duluth that was giving it away...
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Waht kind of GM car do you drive g1994sts? From your login name, my guess you have some type of Caddy. Which explains why you need premium gas.

Taurus is jsut a regular family sedan and rentla car favorite. becasue it's a high volume car, it needs to accept wide variety (based on quality) of gasoline. Which is why the engine is tuned for 87 octane.
  • Options
    stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Does anyone know what happened to the designer of the so-called catfish Taurus? Designing elsewhere? I'm interested in factual answers, or if you can suggest where a better thread is to post this question. Thanks.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Doug Gaffka.

I have the book "car" which is a book of how the 'catfish' Taurus was developed.

An interesting book by the way. They try to make it a 'human drama'. There are some design sketches in the middle of the book. I should find the book at home tonight and get some more info posted on here.

Kind of sad some folks call it a catfish. I guess I can see that. My 99 SHO with the deeper fascia and sill panels looks a little nicer than the plain Taurus.....not so much of the Catfish look.

The sketch is actually kind of interesting as other some other preproduction versions of the Catfish Taurus.

I think the public would have been ok with the oval catfish taurus if ford had changed two things on the 96 model

1) no oval rear window

2) raise the droopy butt like they did in 2000

the car would have had a lot greater appeal then i think.

As for my SHO, I like it just fine, even though I know a lot of folks don't...its kinda unique and in the right colors looks pretty nice I think.
  • Options
    stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Agree: Owned the previous gen Sable and liked it OK, and I don't think the recent downturn of these two models was entirely the fault of the re-style. Other forces were at work. Will look into that book. Trust Mr. Gaffka didn't suffer too much from critical puns on his name, ie 'gaffe', etc., after the car lost some of its popularity. I agree that subtle changes made it almost OK, but the small things like the taillights, rear window, split lower fascia hurt it. In spite of the droopy tail, the design is aging quite well. I was in back of a Sable last night, and those taillamps are still kind of unique and attractive. Actually the Sable looks more fishlike from the front, with its tiny mouth grille.
  • Options
    CAR by MARY WALTON.

sorry, didn't get time to scan any images
  • Options
    upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    '96 Taurus had and still has attractive facia. I like it more than redesined asian style facia in newer Taurus. Again quality was higher too, sitting in new Taurus you have a feeling of sheap car, rental car to be specific.

The wrong with '96 Taurus I agree was rear end desing, oval rear window, and some other oval extremism. Sable looked worse from front but nicer from back. But current Sable is better in any aspect than current Taurus. And to get rid of rental car feeling inside you have to buy Sable Premium with bucket seats.
  • Options
    mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    This site has one. It would be nice if people used it. Attempting to use proper grammar would be a big plus, too.
  • Options
    lelandllelandl Member Posts: 11
    Hi, all

Today local Mercuty dealer was advertising 2005 Sable with Cruise, Remote Keyless, Auto transmission, Anti-Theft System, Power door/window and other basic options at price of $14K minus the $500 college student cash I received in mail from Ford so finally I can get the car at $13.5K before TTL. Looks like Ford Taurus is selling for at least $1000 more now.

What is your guys opinion? Is this a good price?

Thanks!
  • Options
    BTW where did you get prev rental with Duratec ? I mean what rental company sold it?
  • Options
    This site has one. It would be nice if people used it. Attempting to use proper grammar would be a big plus, too.
  • Options
    spelling checker or a double post?

grammer is ovuraited.......
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    nuf sayd
  • Options
    riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    the frustrated English teachers! Yet when you ask a pretty basic question you either get nothing or an answer not worth reading.
  • Options
    Adventures of sexy '02 Taurus in the heat of the night

http://www.girlrepair.com/taurusb4us.asp

• Options
    LOL!
  • Options
    crissy2crissy2 Member Posts: 3
    I've narrowed down my car choices to three: 2001 Taurus, 2000 Taurus, 2001 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl. sedan. Will be a first car for my 19 yr. old daughter. These choices based on safety testing. Now someone is telling me that the Ford transmissions will be nothing but trouble, says that Ford has historically bad transmissions due to a decision to use a different mfr. than GM, etc. Does anybody have any knowledge about the transmission history? Safety is my first concern, with reliability next. No way would she have the $$ to replace a transmission a couple of years down the road. Any other general insights into newer Taurus reliability? We liked the styling of the Stratus, but thought the Taurus felt more solid. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    Taurus is safer car of course, because of its size and because Stratus has cab forward design, what means less room in front of driver in case of crash. If it is older Stratus, it is not safe, had poor safe ratings. If newer one, it passed NTSA tests well, though may be not as good as Taurus.

Taurus has average reliability rating last 8 years in row. Status improved its rating during last 3 years or so to average and even was recomended by CR as one of most reliable cars. But in real life there is no big difference in this aspect between Taurus and Stratus.

Chrysler ATs are not better than Fords, may be even worse. In Stratus it behaves funky near or after 100,000. And also Chrysler uses specific transmission oil and if to use mistakenly another one it may destroy AT. So based upon AT I would choose rather Ford, since 1996 Ford worked out almost all bugs in AT.

As a car Taurus is appealing more to middle age buyers and Stratus is more appealing to younger generation, so your daughter I bet will like it more.
  • Options
    ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    From at least '98, maybe back farther, Ford also has required a different/special auto trans fluid for the Taurus/Sable. The recommended fluid is MERCON V, not standard MERCON as in the older cars. My '98 Taurus calls for MERCON V.

The Chrysler requirement is for one of two types--one for '88 through '99 cars (Type 7176) and the other for 2000 and up cars (I forget the designation for this). The dipstick and the owner's manual point this out.

Both the Chrysler types and MERCON V are easily available in parts stores. GM's DEXRON is also 'special' now, in that you need DEXRON III or IV for most newer cars. It's just that more cars use DEXRON type fluid than MERCON or the Chrysler types. And in reality, it's not any more difficult to see what you need than looking up the oil grade you need.

In fact, transmissions get neglected a lot, and I suspect that a lot of problems can be eliminated with fluid changes at the recommended intervals. My father in law just got a new car, replacing his '90 Dodge Dynasty that had 193,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. He maintained the car by the book and never had any trouble, even with the transmission, which was supposed to be very unreliable in the '88-'91 models.

The later Tauruses are supposed to be quite reliable. I have just under 40,000 miles on my '98 and have only needed routine stuff aside from a taillight that filled with water (replaced under warrantee) and warped front brake rotors (but I am the second owner).
  • Options
    masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    I've looked at few 2002 Taurus models and I like the options of the SES and SEL models, does anyone recommend the SE model? it seems to have a much better price less a few options that the top of the line Taurus's have, also has anyone purchased a dealer Demo 2002 Taurus? and where you happy with it?
  • Options
    just about any newer taurus is a good deal, and is a very dependable. A rental return may be preferrable to a demo, but either way as long as it has been serviced regularly you should be okay.

It really won't cost you much more to go with an upgraded model vs. the SE. But since Tauri depreciate quickly, it may be worth your while to just find a one year old model with very low miles....you will save many thousands. Then if you like, just get an extended warranty to cover any needed future big ticket items.

Beleive me, there are MANY good lightly used Taurus out there and available.
  • Options
    the thing to know is that despite what some say, the late model Tauruses are very dependable. I know from my own experience and others I know who have a combined 350,000 miles that can attest to the car being a solid car.
  • Options
    If it is for test drives then it is not so good, because of lot of drives with cold engine, you have to tripple milage. So if it shows 5,000 miles it is equvalent of 15,000 may be. Most engine wear happen when engine starts (there is not enough oil pressure) and when it runs cold because tolerance is set for warm engine, especially is bad when someone drives it hard for test purpose. But with 5,000 it is not a big problem. With 20,000 I wouldn't take it, only with discount.
  • Options
    A Demo car are cars that the dealers drive or ones they loan to customers while their cars are in for service from my knowledge, and I had asked if anyone has purchased a used Demo car before?
    and if it was really worth it or should I buy brand new?
  • Options
    snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    My 2000 SES was a dealer demo. I am practically the first owner. When I got it it had 22K miles, now it has 28K. I put a new set of Yokohoma tires just because Firestone tires handled very bad and flashed the tranny. Dealer replaced the rear breaks before the delivery. I replaced the cabin filter. That is it. Gas milage is perfect, it is not pinging, no problem with electrical components, for the tag I paid this is the best value I have ever gotton.
  • Options
    I noticed there are some posts about brakes in the past postings as well, is this a common problem on the Taurus? having bad brakes?
  • Options
    rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
    Based on edmunds many brands of disk brakes have problems with brake rotors. The most common problem is over tightening when tires were rotated.

On the Taurus, if this has occurred a heavy duty rotor (NAPA has one) will stop the problem.
  • Options
    How many miles does each vehicle have? Also what is the insurance cost on each car? Since it is for a teenager, that is an important question to have answered before you purchase the vehicle. Personally I would go for the 2001 Taurus. NOt that the Taurus is a speed burner but I am not a fan of the 4 cyl. Stratus. Tends to shift too uch for me.

Neither car has a stellar reliability record. And Chrysler trannies are not the greatest in the world either.

My guess is your daughter will like the styling of the Stratus better then the Taurus. Good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah, but 4 cyl. is better for town, more fuel economy. Stratus being smaller also is better suited for town and it is not so small after all. But for freeway Taurus is better. It is more comfortable, more refined and has good low rpm V6.
    On freeway 4 banger is too noisy. But there are rumors that next Taurus will have 4 cyl instead of Vulcan from Mazda. If it is 2,5L it will certainly be better than Vulcan, Japanese 4 cyl. are smooth and refined. Vulcan should be retired long ago.
  • Options
    The Taurus is much more vehicle for the money than the Stratus......neither car has a qualitative edge in sportiness and handling refinement but the Taurus will be a better 'road car'.
  • Options
    kpierkpier Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 97 Sable GS. 3.0 V6, all the usual power options. Is there any known bugs with this model year? I would appreciate any comments, including those pertaining to its reliability. I drive 2,000 miles per month. The car has 57,200 miles. Thank you.
  • Options
    snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    believe it or not but breaks are problem for many late model cars cause rotors are thinner in these days. My rotors are warped I need to get them machined but I can't decide whether I should go with high quality 3rd party rotors or machine the originals? Anyways, goodluck with your decision and let us know if you buy it.
  • Options
    snowman: How many miles do you have on your vehicle? If you think the rotors are beign machined earlier then you expected, then consider a aftermarket. If this is the case, why replace the rotors with the same poor quality OEMs. Of course, you have to consider cost.

kpier: Which motor is it? The Vulcan or Duratec? Also check here on Edmunds with regard to recalls and TSB's for 1997 Mercury Sable. This will give you an idea of what might go wrong.
  • Options
    gerry33gerry33 Member Posts: 2
    Have a new 02 Taurus SEL with 2,800 miles. Has anyone experienced excessive sway at highway speeds on windy days or following trucks? Car seems to veer either left or right or kind of waver on centerline, requiring frequent counter steering input. Very annoying and tiring on long highway trips. Also, sway can occur abruptly, and car can be veering into next lane or off the road before there is time to counter act. I'm really concerned about the safety of this. Dealer has been unable to identify a problem.
  • Options
    in an '02 Ram while following a semi. I don't think I've driven a vehicle that didn't get tossed around a little in the wind...
  • Options
    I have a 97 Taurus GL with 69k. No reliability issues.I have the Vulcan engine. Disagree with a previous post that stated it should have been retired long ago. I hear these engines are durable.Power is adequate for me and fuel economy is better than the Duratec 3.0.

Do you know how well the car was maintained? I still have original plugs. I've talked to different mechanics and Ford trannies are just as reliable as most others; I'll find out since I plan on driving it into the ground!
  • Options
    According to specs the fuel economy for Vulcan and Duratec is the same. My Vulcan has 18 mpg if driving streets only or 24 mpg on average in commuting. Nothing exceptional.

On the freeway though Vulcan has not enough power for merging into traffic, passing at high speed or climbing uphill. And as it was noted in many posts it also has a pinging issue (uphill or accelerating on high speeds). In town it is okay but fuel efficiency is poor. Modern 4 banger is more fuel efficient on street and is no worse on freeway than Vulcan. Vulcan is the analog on Japanese 4 banger on base trims. But it is more heavy, has more slow moving parts, takes more space under hood. Mazda's 4 cyl engines being efficient new designs still are very reliable. The same about Duratec.
  • Options
    I hear you, but I don't agree. I don't have a pinging issue and I find the power adequate. You can't compare a 4 to a 6 when it comes to fuel economy; the 4 will always win.

Like many people have said on this board before - the Taurus is a good value, especially used.I check my fuel economy every tank and I regulary get 20 to 25. Considering the car and the ride, I find it acceptable. If milage was an my top priority I'd look at a Civic. Then again I'd have no luggage room and I'd be giving up some other things that I wouldn't find acceptable.

I guess your priorities are different than mine. But you have a 94 Taurus, so maybe your car car performs significantly different from my 97. I no my Taurus is no rocket, but I didn't buy it for performance. I'd have to SAY i'M A SATISFIED OWNER.
  • Options
    gerry33gerry33 Member Posts: 2
    Drove a couple of hundred miles today and it was windy and gusty. Car still moves around too much I think for a new car. I'm wondering if it might be a combination of poor tires (Continental TouringContact AS P215/60R16) and struts? Or can the steering be tightened/firmed up from factory setting? Any thoughts? Thanks iusecad for your reply. What's a Ram?
  • Options
    its a Dodge Ram pickup. Very nice, I might add.

Good luck on your car. I know how annoying a wondering car can be.
  • Options
    danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford's and GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington:

Ford: $1 million to Red Cross and 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
    GM: $1 million and a fleet of vans.
    Daimler Chrysler: $10 million

Hyundai $100.000
    Audi, BMW, Daewoo, Fiat, Honda, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porshe, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota gave $$OOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That is an "urban legend" that is refusing to fade off into the sunset where it belongs.

Check this out: http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/cars.htm

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 96 Sable wagon with 37,000 miles on it. I have had to replace 1 of the freeze plugs that was corroded and leaking. They told me the back plug looks to be going the same way as the front.
    The car has been babied with all maintenance done at the dealer. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
  • Options
    atcersatcers Member Posts: 26
    I know what you mean about windy days and big trucks!!! I have a 01 Sable that does the same thing. While this is the only thing I dislike about the vehicle it is annoying none the less. I have had mine in the shop three times at two different dealers and neither dealer will acknowledge that the sway is evident. They say it rides fine and nothing is abnormal. Other than a few scattered posts this doesn't appear to be an issue with other Taurus/Sable owner!

Scott
  • Options
    ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    I just took an 1100-mile round trip over the last weekend. It was very windy on the trip to the destination, and I did feel some sway in my '98 Taurus SE. The car was aligned before the trip, and normally tracks straight and won;t need correction on a non-crowned road. On that first leg, I had the wheel turned partially almost constantly, but it was only because it was a crosswind blowing diagonally from the right front corner of the car. I have never noticed a problem in directional stability otherwise, and on the return home, it was calm and the car was just great. No problems, and very comfortable.

Do check the tires--I did have a pull in one tire that would make the car drift. It was replaced, and the tire shop mentioned that they see a fair number of these with defects (these are the General G4S tires that Ford used through '99--I don't know if the 16" Continentals on the 2000-up cars are prone to the same problems).
  • Options
    My 98 SE sedan came with the crappy OEM General tires. They were truly scary in rotten weather. Ditched those for a set of Michelin Pilots, and now the car sticks to the road. My 00 SE wagon came with OEM Conti TouringContact tires, and they are very good. I would replace those with the same ones when they wear out (though the car has 37k on it and the tires look hardly worn).
  • Options
    danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    My 00 Sable also tends to sway while driving on the highway in windy conditions and when a big truck passes by. Also, I still have the lurching forward after shutting down the engine and engaging "park".

My understanding is that perhaps Ford left some bugs in it and quality control wasn't really the top priority or maybe attention to detail.

However, the lurching forward is a problem to me but not the service department at Lincoln-Mercury. I will have my private shop look at it next time I go for service

Hey, not a perfect car but not bad at all either.
  • Options
    any folks on these boards....any of you have the v8 SHO model had the camshaft fracture incident happen to you that has been talked about on some of the SHO web sites?

I am curious to know what percentage of v8's this has affected....I am considering if I should obtain an extended warranty or if I should have the preventative solution done on my camshaft sprockets.
This discussion has been closed.