Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Pinch me, but this week I had Lexus quality service at my Toyota dealership (Boch Toyota). I went in for an oil change and new wiper blades. It was a cold morning so I asked the service manager how quickly should the heated front seat heat up. He said it should take a few minutes.

I told him mine takes around 5 minutes and he said if I wanted to leave the car he would take a look at it. I said I didn't have a ride and before you could say Eureka! a driver was summoned who took me home and picked me up later in the afternoon when my car was ready.

Bottom line, there was nothing wrong with the "bum warmer", the oil change was free and the replacement wipers cost $18.00. My dilemma, should I tip my driver? I didn't. Now, I feel so guilty, I got Lexus quality service but I behaved like a typical Toyota cheapskate.

Moral of the story? Toyota should rebadge the Avalon as a Lexus LS350 (?).
  • Options
    daveinatlantadaveinatlanta Member Posts: 4
    Looking for advice - my wife's 95 Avalon (the best car we've ever owend in terms of reliability) has a seriously wounded cassette player.
    I've looked at an aftermarket head unit w/CD, but they all look really strange to me.
    I've just seen a used cassette/CD combo exact replacement on E-bay. Assuming it works, does anyone know what kind of trouble the "radio code" feature will give me when I try to swap it out?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How good is the 3.0-liter 24-valve V-6 engine when it comes to overall reliability? I have heard rave reviews about this engine and been told that it doesn't use oil between changes.
  • Options
    aloalo Member Posts: 35
    I've a 96 Avalon XLS and I don't believe the radio is coded.

I've 63K miles in the Avalon and it never used a drop of oil between changes. The drive train runs just like new. Change your oil every 3000 miles and I think the engine will last forever, practically. A friend of mine has a 92 Camry V6 with 140K, the engine is still smooth and powerful, it's amazing.
  • Options
    norm1936norm1936 Member Posts: 5
    I used to read about the noises experienced by Avalon owners (especially those noises coming from behind the dashboard). I thought my 2000 XLS would be different! Boy, was I wrong.. Soon after the mileage turned 15,000, it started having an assorted cacophony of noises: clicks, vibrations, rattles all coming from under the dash. The most noticeable "clunk!" comes from behind the tach, whenever I go over a bump or a stretch of the road that is not glass-smooth. Of course the dealer does not hear what I hear. I am 65 years old and have minor hearing loss and I hear those noises perfectly well. Anyway, the dealer decided to ignore my requests. I know you people out there have similar problems, and I would appreciate any suggestions.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Anyone have any info/pictures on 2003 design changes/upgrades for the Avalon?

I owned a 92CamryLE which I sold one year ago with 161K reliable miles. I'm looking to re-join Toyota (my wife got the new car when we sold the Camry - an LLBean 6 cyl. Outback which has been great so far).

How is the Avalon in snow/ wet conditions? I assume it's OK given the skinny tires. The Camry sucked big time in snow - the only bad thing about its design - well, and the front rotors warped after about 5K miles, but the brakes were always safe....

Thanks!
  • Options
    thomcinthomcin Member Posts: 29
    I had a similiar problem with my 2000 Avalon XL and after a number of trips to the dealer it proved to be a bad fuel injector. I was about 2,000 past my 3 yr. 36,000 bumper to bumper so it ended up costing me about $400. Have them check out all of your injectors to make sure they are functioning properly. Hope this helps
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    wait.... the 3/36,000 mile is the basic warranty. All Toyotas come with a 5 yr/60,000 powertrain warranty... I'd consider an engine part like the fuel injector part of the powertrain, but I am not sure how Toyota sees it.... are you sure that you should have paid for your injector issue? Did you inquire whether or not the injector was included in the 5/60K powertrain warranty?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    rrzeparrzepa Member Posts: 11
    From toyota website:

#################################
    Powertrain Coverage: Your engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags are covered for 5 years/60,000 miles.
    #################################

Since fuel injector is not part of the engine but merly component which connects to it, I doubt that will be covered under powertrain warranty.

Now, I feel much better that my seatbelts have 5/60 warranty.
  • Options
    jmcdjmcd Member Posts: 2
    I love the power, quiet ride, and drive train of my '97 Avalon. But like many owners have observed, my suspension has suffered meltdown after only 40,000 easy miles.

I suspect that I need new struts, but would rather not replace with duplicates from Toyota. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket struts? Cost?

Thanks!
  • Options
    You might want to consider the Toyota struts. My 92Camry needed front struts at 80K and rear struts at 90K. When I sold the car at 161K last year, I went to Toyota first and had them replace them for free! including the alignment! Turned out being a good deal!
  • Options
    aloalo Member Posts: 35
    After an accident in Dec., the body shop replaced the right strut on my 96 Avalon (63K miles) with a Toyota strut. They recommended me to replace the left strut also. I checked and found that the strut assembly can be had for about 130 but labor and alignment would cost additional 200. I think I'll wait since at present I don't see any difference in handling. In fact, the car really drives like when it was new. The point I'm trying to make is that the Toyota struts seem to last a lot longer than 40K miles, and if replacement is needed, I don't see any reasons to go with aftermarket struts.
  • Options
    jmcdjmcd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!

I'm now leaning toward Toyota parts, especially in light of the guarantee.
  • Options
    finny2finny2 Member Posts: 7
    I bought an '02 XLS for $220 over invoice from Puente HIlls Toyota in So. Cal.
    It has everything but the VSC.
    I got the deal by calling the fleet manager.
  • Options
    jayel1jayel1 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying an XLS in the Ojai/Santa Barbara/north of LA area. Where is Puente Hills Toyota? I want the Pkg # 7, moonroof and VSC. Light color, sand, lt gray just fine. Can i get a telephone number and name? I will be in CA mid-March visiting my daughter and her family. Any assistance greatly appreciated, especially from finny2. Thanks
  • Options
    mitchnikmitchnik Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 Avalon and love it, especially after leasing 2 Ls400's over the past 6 years. But I too started to hear a noise coming from behind the dashboard and, thanks to the help of an accorn, I discovered the source. I'll explain. This fall an accorn fell into the area where the windshield wiper gear is located. I heard a noise seemingly coming from behind the dash, particularly behind the odometer. I found nothing inside after hitting the dashboard a number of times and looked on the outside when I came home. I saw an accorn in the area where the windshield wiper is attached at the base of the outside windshield. Sure enough, it was causing the noise. About a week ago a rattle appeared, almost exactly as the noise from the accorn. No accorn this time so I openned the hood and started checking everything and sure enough, the black plastic piece along the base of the entire windshield is loose on the driver's side, easily moving up an down about an 1/8". I folded up a small piece of cardboard and pushed it underneath and Voila, the rattle was gone. I would suggest that anyone having the rattling problem check the large, black plastic piece of molding at the base of their windsheild and carefully pull it up and down and see if it is rattling against the metal housing on which it rests (Lift the hood first). Loose fasteners may be the cause of your rattling. I'll get the dealer to fix my problem but the cardboard will due until then.
  • Options
    On my last tank of gas I got 15.08 miles to the gallon. I have been using Getty religiously for the last year and a half but last week I tried a different brand (Petro-Plus)and got burned.

In the past I averaged 27 MPG using 92 octane gas and although I used the same octane level with this new brand the result was dramatically different. Is there really such a big difference in gasoline brands? I am concerned that this new brand may have harmed my engine. Is there any way to check that?
  • Options
    hello52hello52 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the information and well written so even I can understand:) I'll check my 2001 tomorrow morning. Thanks again.
  • Options
    jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    See article about engine sludge in 1997 - 2001 Avalons,Siennas, Solaras, Camry's, Celica's, Highlanders, and Lexus RX-300, and Lexus ES-300.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2002/february/20020211_dai_toyota.xml

• Options
    chewymanchewyman Member Posts: 20
    My 97 Avalon struts blew out at 15k. Dealer said they got a bad batch from the supplier. Replaced free under warranty. They are bad again at 90k. The dealer will replace for free since Toyota warranted repair. The back struts are also slapping around and need done also. Not covered by warranty of course. Dealer price is $270 for struts, $208 for backplates and $260 for installation for a grand total of $790 with tax. Ouch!! Even if it is warranteed. NTB can do it for $260 plus tax. What's up with that. I can get them replaced three times for that price. Don't go to the dealer for the warranty only.
  • Options
    lnthomaslnthomas Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Avalon began to have a squeak in the dash at about 7000 miles. (It presently has 25,000) I have had it to the dealer about 4 times the past two winters, and it is presently there. Each time, they have said they cannot duplicate the noise. It has gotten much louder and much more frequent the past two or three months. Thursday, it squeaked all the way home so I went right to the dealer, left the car running, told the service manager to get in because it was squeaking. We took off and I went over every bumpy road I could find - not a squeak!! My husband and my son have both heard the squeak. It is pretty constant when the temperature is about 55 degrees or colder - the colder it is the worse it squeaks. I had on a leather coat, so I rubbed my sleeve against the console and produced the type of sound I have been hearing. I told him I was leaving the car there and he should drive it every morning when it is cold until he hears that same kind of squeak. Has anyone else had this problem and can it be fixed?? If not, I have an Avalon I will sell cheap! I even emailed Toyota. They did email me back and say they would contact the dealer. I guess I'll pick it up tomorrow fixed or not and either live with it or trade it for something else.
  • Options
    liberalsatyr0liberalsatyr0 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a larger car for my next purchase later this year. I currently have a Honda Accord, which is a very good vehicle. Looking for more interior room, and i like the look of the Avalon. To me it looks a lot like a Lexus with Toyota emblems (yes, i know Toyota makes the Lexus line). My question is simply, knowing what you know now about this car (to owners/drivers), would you purchase this car again? If not, what would you choose?
  • Options
    jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    Yes, I am on my second Avalon. Never had a mechanical problem with either. Fact is, the second one (00k) has never darkened the dealer's door once it left.

No complaint whatsoever. I am 6ft 2in and 250 lbs. and comfortably fit in the automobile.

I did choose another brand for a second car a 2k2 Civic and I like it just about as well. Must admit I have a little trouble getting out, but that can be caused by my age and the problems that go with it..
  • Options
    lyn58lyn58 Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 2001 XLS almost 1 year now. I still think of it as brand new. Everyone who rides in the back seat marvels at the room it has. My 6' son prefers to ride in the back so he can strectch his legs. We've gone on a couple long trips with a lot of luggage and everything fit in the huge trunk. I used to have an Expedition and I would never buy an SUV again.
  • Options
    Anyone hear of changes to Avalon for 03MY? Side air curtains? Any pics of front/rear re-designs?
  • Options
    joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I've had my 2001 Avalon XL for 14 months (16K miles) and still tight and quiet. The only change I mad (and I know well ahead of time) was to dump the General tires that came with the car (they were terrible, and noisy), and replaced with Uniroyal Touring. There is no comparison between the two tire types. My car now handles and brakes much better than before. If (a) the car continues to perfrom well for another year and (b) does not experience the sludge problem, I will replace with an 2003 XLS, or maybe a Highlander. My prior car was a Volvo S70 (1999), a very problematic, fussy, unreliable brick it was...never again with Volvo.
  • Options
    mbt1mbt1 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2000 Avalon XL whose engine model number is 1MZ-FE. Do I need to be concerned with the sludge problem recently mentioned? Thanks.
  • Options
    hondaman22hondaman22 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    I just went to my local maintenance guy and had all 4 struts replaced for $540.00 including labor. Much cheaper than Toyota dealership. Now my question is should the car feel much different after the struts were replaced? I honestly can't feel a much smoother ride. By the way this car has 77k miles. Why is it that my friend's 97 Avalon has 120k and drives like melted butter? Same type of driving for both of us.
  • Options
    boordboord Member Posts: 27
    1. Why did you have the struts replaced in the first place - was there something about the ride that was bothersome?

2. Do you and your friend have the same brand and model of tires? Tires make a tremendous difference in ride and handling!
  • Options
    yuedwardhyuedwardh Member Posts: 5
    If you do scheduled oil changes with high quality SJ oil and OEM oil filter, you should have no problem. Low quality SJ oil may breakdown after only 1,000 miles.
  • Options
    john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    Something to be aware of if you are buying a used Avalon, produced between July 1996 to May 2001. Make sure you get all the oil change receipts from the previous owner and make sure all the work was done at a Toyota dealer.

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38302

http://www.kmov.com/business/business_stories/NEWS_020219_toyota_engines.html

• Options
    I thought my struts were bad too. The suspension had a slapping sound in it but control was good. I had the dealer evaluate. Two front struts had been replaced and would be covered by warranty. The estimate for all four struts and rear backplates was $790. see my post 1334 above. The Technician detected that the rear stabilizer bushings were bad. The parts were ordered and recently replaced taking care of the slapping noises. My 97 has 95,000 and the struts both front and rear are ok. Perhaps your struts were still good and the replacements were unecessary?
  • Options
    Well, in my case both my mechanic and Toyoata said they needed to be changed. Since I already changed them I just wanted to know if I should feel a noticeable difference after replacing the struts. I can't really feel a big difference so I just wanted to know if this is normal. Thanks.
  • Options
    When my struts were replaced I noticed an immediate difference. Especially going around curves with uneven pavements. My struts were very loose. With the new ones I could feel a much tighter ride and higher speed turns felt safer and more controlled. Front struts were so bad that my wife was afraid to drive it because of the poor control. New struts felt like a different car. The front struts went bad under warranty (20K), leaking. Yours may have been just worn out and hence not as noticeable. You say that both garages deemed them bad. How did they determine they were bad? Were they leaking?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    dividivi Member Posts: 1
    I noticed with my 02 Avalon that acceleration is much better in the first couple of minutes after starting the car. After the engine warms up it revs up much slower. It could not be overheating in the middle of winter. Does anybody know if the engine is supposed to work like this and if this could be fixed ?
  • Options
    white98cl30white98cl30 Member Posts: 4
    My mother is looking to move up (in my opinion) from a 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS Supercharged to a 2002 (or comparable 2001) Toyota Avalon. Any complaints or recommendations? EMail me at MBowen574@aol.com. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Get the XLS. My wife has one (she took it from me) and she loves it. Your mom will be happy. They are available between $200 - $1000 over invoice if you shop carefully. We paid $800 over inovice in April 2000 when it was a first year car in high demand. We just turned 13,000 miles. It had a few rattles that the dealers dealt with and a problem with a squeaky noise in the front struts that they solved by just up and replacing them too!
  • Options
    mtrabmtrab Member Posts: 3
    I've seen this question brought up in the previous postings, but can't find it ever coming to closure.
    We purchased the used car from a Toyota dealer @ 9 mos ago. At this point I'm 99% happy with the car, but (of course) it's that 1% that qnaws at me. The problem is the car drifts to the left.
    I've narrowed it down to only happening during acceleration. It is most bothersome on the highway while using cruise control, as it makes the car pull left when you don't expect it.
    When I called the dealer service dept. to make an appointment to fix this problem, I was immediately given excuses as to why this happens. Not the best avenue for showing concern for a new customer.
    While I can understand the physics of an engine drive connected to only one of the front wheels could make the vehicle pull to the side, I also realize this was a problem when front wheel drive was first introduced, and a fix MUST be in place by now. Unfortunately, after having the vehicle serviced, the problem still remains.
    Has anyone followed this problem to a fix?
  • Options
    I highly recommend the XLS.

By this time your mother must have taken a couple of test drives and hopefully she likes the Avalon.

Like footie I bought my Avalon XLS in July 2000 when demand was strong and the car in short supply. With almost 20K miles the car has performed flawlessly except for an annoying styrofoam sounding squeaking noise on the passenger side of the dashboard (just above the glove box). The noise appeared after one year but went away when the weather turned cold.

If your mother enjoys quiet and tranquility in an automobile there is nothing more quiet than the Avalon, except the Lexus LS430.
  • Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Just got back from the Cleveland,Ohio Auto Show and was very impressed with the Avalon. What kind of Gas milage are we getting? The EPA rating is is 29mpg on the highway.
  • Options
    john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    here is the latest article form the LA Times on the engine sludge problem that affects several Toyota models including the Avalon.

http://cgi.latimes.com/class/highway1/yourwheels/20020313/t000018575.html

• Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    eom
  • Options
    illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone know if you can fit three child seats in the back of an Avalon?
  • Options
    ltastet1ltastet1 Member Posts: 12
    We have three forward facing child seats in the back of our Avalon. This is one of the reasons we bought the Avalon. We couldn't find too many vehicles that could fill this requirement except for large SUVs and some american sedans.
  • Options
    bobrita1bobrita1 Member Posts: 3
    2000 avalon XLS purchased May 2000. Have been experiencing a change in radio volume when driving sometimes louder, sometimes softer. This happens without touching the volume knob. Had the radio replaced Oct. 2001. Problem still exists. Is anyone experiencing this problem? Does anyone know of a fix? Cliffy any ideas?
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I think somebody posted a similar problem a few months ago. I forget what the resolution to it was. I suggest taking it to your dealership before your 3/36 warranty expires to see if they can repeat the problem and give you a new unit.
  • Options
    nhacpanhacpa Member Posts: 1
    My inlaws just purchased a 2002 Avalon XL with the luxury package and a front bench seat. The LP comes with leather trim seats. Beautiful car, but, my mother-in-law is convinced that the seats are made of vinyl rather than leather. She feels that the leather seats in a 2002 Honda Accord are more luxurious and she has an inferior leather seat. The Avalon's seats look like leather to me, but, now I'm not sure. Just what does leather trim actually mean? Is my mother-in-law correct when she says the seats are vinyl? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    The surfaces of the seat that your body touches while seated are leather. The rest is vinyl. Thus the back of the seat and headrest and side portions of the seat are not leather. I believe this is the case for almost all foreign vehicles in the near-Luxury category.