Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    I was sitting all the way in the back for the first time yesterday, and it was a pretty warm day, not scorching, but 90+. I noticed that the air from the back vents was not that cold, even after several minutes it cooled down a little, but not nearly as cold as I thought it would be. Has anyone noticed if the rear A/C is not as cold as the front? Maybe next time I take it to the dealer I will mention it to them. BTW, we do not have 4-seasons.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I've thought the same thing. Never gets into the 90s here (80s tho). I'm trying to find out if there's an extra evaporator in the rear, or if it's just conditioned air piped into the back. I've got the 4-Seasons, and notice the same thing that you describe so accurately.

Of course, r134a refrigerant is not nearly as efficient in a/c as the old style freon of yester-year, so this might be part of the picture. Also, everything is still running off of one compressor and condensor under the bonnet, and there's possibly some inherent loss in the transport to the back of the bus (hee) due to distance. Hmmmmm

--Java
  • canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    Our 2000 MPV LX has rear air and no four seasons.
    We have the opposite problem. It seems we can only regulate the fan speed in the rear, but not the temperature. It blows freezing cold air only.
    I spoke on the phone with two area Mazda service managers and they think the front temperature control should regulate the air temp in the rear as well, but they really don't know for sure. While my wife and I are comfortable up front, the kids and grandfolks in back are freezing - even if they turn the fan to low setting - if they turn it off completely, then they get hot. It's really going to irritate me if you have to have the four seasons in order to regulate the rear air temperature. I hope there is a fix for this problem. On another note, has anyone noticed, while working the "magic" rear seat that there is a pocket with a long, thin, black piece of metal in it? What the heck is that for? I can't find it in the manual? Otherwise, we love our MPV. We purchased on 7/7/00 (it was manufactured in 5/00) and have driven 2500 miles already - a long trip from Pennsylvania to Maine accounted for most of the miles. It worked flawlessly the entire time. Yah, the engine is a bit underpowered, but we can live with it. Cheers.
  • dcoldcol Member Posts: 6
    I've been assuming the (clear) 8" diameter puddle that forms on the floor of our garage behind our MPV's passenger-side rear tire is condensation dripping off the evaporator for the rear air. Never looked to make sure, though-- Way down on the honey-do list.
  • cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    Caniel --
    The black metal bar is a support for the rear seat when it is in the "tailgating" position. It is intended to keep the rear seat from folding backwards while in use.

It's shown in the Owners Manual on page 2-26 and 2.27.
  • dcoldcol Member Posts: 6
    I just looked where my "puddle" seems to be coming from, and I see only the exhaust line going to the tailpipe. Anyone know if condensation should drip off that? I only started noticing the puddle recently-- maybe the last month or two, after the temp started getting up into the 90s-100+ range constantly. (Before I ask my husband to check it out, I'd like to know if it's anything unusual.) Thanks.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    it is probably A/C condensation.

Ours does it too, just started in the summer, appears below tail pipe. The fluid is clear and odorless, so I'm assuming it is A/C condensation.

It is not uncommon for water to come out of the tail pipe as well as water is a byproduct of the chemical reaction in your catalytic converter. However, the puddle is too large to be from that source.

Cheers,

TB
  • windeyewindeye Member Posts: 9
    I got a letter yesterday for the recall, the tire I have is 15in Dunlop, the rating on side wall of the tires is exactly the same as on the driver door label and in the manual. The recall just changes the tire rating from P205/R15 92S to 205/R15 94S. The "P" is missing and "92" is changed to "94", which means the tires can carry more weight on them. "S" means the max. speed is 112mph. I don't know what that "P" stands for. The letter said the info on tire side wall was wrong and so was on the label and in the manual.

I feel it's understandable to have typo on labels
    and in manuals, but it's ridiculous that the tire was stamped wrong, which meant the flaw in the tire maufacturing. Something fishy here, it might be that Mazda found they put on worng tires but
    does not want to replace them. Since the letter said, there is no need to replace the current tires for the recall, but if the tires are worn,
    they have to be replaced with 94S rating. Isn't that weird. Some comments on this, anybody? Thanks.
    Ask Dunlop about the tires. If the tires are mis-stamped it would be their responsibility, not Mazda to make good. Tires come with a seperate warranty.

OBTW, the P stands for P-metric series tires.

Cheers,

TB
    Thanks for the information regarding the back seat "prop." I missed it in the owner's manual.
    Cheers,
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    The P stood for Passenger as in Passenger Tires?
    Now that I think about it, that may be correct. I know that there was a P-metric type of tire.

I am just old enough to remember when you got an H78-14 (or some nonsense like that)

But I do believe that if the P is at the beginning it means passenger and if the tire begins with LT it is light truck.

Perhaps a visit to www.tirerack.com is in order?

Cheers,

TB
    Check out what the P means...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/pmetric_euro.htm

Looks like you can say we are both right.

Cheers,

TB
    I guess we are!
    Kind of coincidental but I also went to Tire Rack's website for the answer. (After I posted my response)

I had a 74 Ford Gran Torino with a bad idler arm - it was always going through front tires - and I remember having to replace them with size G or H tires - but they were bias-ply!
  • vtac1vtac1 Member Posts: 18
    I sat in my carport and tried and tried and found the secert is timing.Like people are saying,you must step on the brake first.Sometime without knowing you grab the shift lever,pull it then step on the brake.This won't work.It works fine as soon as you get use to it.
    Took our 2000 LX with Rear A/C, no 4-S, to the service center a few days ago. Turns out my fear is correct. The rear air temperature is NOT controlled by the front regulator. The rear air blows cold air only. Without the 4-S package, you can not adjust the air temperature of the rear air - only the fan speed. I am quite upset by this. Whoever heard of an AC that couldn't have the temperature regulated? This is clearly a marketing, design, problem by Mazda - the sales people didn't know about it, there is nothing in the manual/brochures about it. They couldn't give me a price on adding the rear heat, but said it would be a LOT as it would require a lot of new wiring, cut-outs, hoses, the heater, a new radiator, etc. probably many many hundreds if not well into the thousands of dollars. Very, very disappointed about this - otherwise love the van.
    What recourse do I have? Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I have posted in the past few weeks about my woes with the bad Dunlop tires and the vibrations I get through the steering wheel. We were getting ready for a vacation, and the Mazda dealer couldn't take me before we needed to leave. So, I went ahead and rotated the front tires to the back and the back to the front.

Finally, little to no vibration!!!!!! The bad tires are now in the back. I still get a little vibration, but no pulling.

Mind you, I've had the pulling and vibration problem for 6 months!!!!! Driving on vacation was like driving a totally different car. I couldn't believe how nice this van drove!!!!

I believe that the van was out of alignment from day one and the front tires quickly went out of balance and became cupped. We had the alignment fixed, but the damage was likely already done to the front tires.

I don't think I'm going to get the tires replaced by the dealer. They have been very non-responsive to me. I guess I'll have to eat the cost of replacing the tires early. Oh well.

As a side note, we took one of the middle seats out to give us more room and that really helped. The van swallowed quite a bit of luggage.

Additionally, I got about 19-20 mpg on the trip. Not bad, but for all highway driving, it's still less than Mazda advertises and is still a very disappointing number.

On the plus side, the van's engine and speed were a non issue during the trip. The only time I even noticed the engine struggling was from a dead stop. Otherwise, highway performance was fantastic.
  • wpetersonwpeterson Member Posts: 1
    Don't know about MPV's rear air adjustment - we still have our '91 MPV w/out rear air. But I have driven Ford and GM products, larger vans for van-pooling. Ford does not modulate rear heat or AC, only has fan speed control. The older Chevy seemed to modulate rear heat but not AC temp. So this problem isn't exclusive to Mazda.
  • meerameera Member Posts: 50
    I knew it! Our vans are twins! I'm glad you put the bad tires on the back and the problem was corrected- Great news! I am also not having any luck getting Mazda to replace our bad tires. The dealer is now not returning my calls. I'm going to contact customer service this week. Are you going to call them, or have you? It just seems ridiculous that we should have to pay for tires that were ruined because the dealers wouldn't respond to repeated complaints that the van was out of whack. It's almost time to rotate our tires, but if we do the shaking will just come back. I guess if I can't get someone to replace the bad tires we're going to leave it as is and buy four new ones in a year or two. It's already got 14k miles.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I doubt that I'm going to press the issue much further. It's partially my fault because I've had to cancel appointments because I couldn't make arrangements to leave the van. We now have about 7,600 miles on it. I think we'll try to get as much out of the tires as we can and then I'll get four new ones. I haven't heard anyone say the Dunlops are that great of tires anyways. It probably wouldn't hurt to put a good set of Michelins on them. At least that's what I'm trying to make myself believe. It makes me feel a litte better!!!

As for the posts about the rear air, we found out during the course of our trip that the temperature control did not affect the rear air. Our personal experience was that we only needed the rear air on for about 1/2 hour before the kids complained that the van was too cold. Then we turned off the rear air and just used the front air and it kept the van very comfortable throughout for the remainder of the trip. I also found that with the fan running at the highest setting (number 4), the van didn't seem to cool very well. We found that the 2nd and 3rd settings worked best for the air conditioning. Setting number 1 did absolutely nothing. I swore that the air conditioning wasn't even on when the setting was at number 1.

Overall, we had a good trip with the van and it performed very well. And I can't even begin to tell everyone how much better this van drives when you aren't dealing with a vibrating steering wheel!!!!
  • windeyewindeye Member Posts: 9
    I found the same problem sometime ago, dealt with
    Mazdz in Irvine, dealers etc. there were some discussions in the old Cruisers' club. You are right, the celing vents only blow cold air. With rear heating option, heated air comes from underneath the third row on the floor, not sure if the celing vents also blow warm air. Those who have rear heating, please comment.

There are two vents underneath the first row which
    blow warm air, there are good for the second row, but may not be sufficient for the third row.
    We have rear a/c as well as the 4-Seasons package and the ceiling vents can blow both a/c and warm air. We've regulated the rear a/c by adjusting the rear heat setting (in the back control). We just leave the rear selector on "Up/Down" mix and adjust fan speed up front. Works great, but I can sympathize with the non-4Seasons owners gripes. It seems to be an oversight that many manufacturers have committed. I don't know about the HonToy vans, I wonder how their's works.

--java
  • rtennrtenn Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Mazda MPV with approx 7000 miles on it. The problem I am having is that there is a clicking, loose sound coming from the front end whenever I brake during parking. I also hear this sound whenever I move off from a stop. Dealership heard the noise but could not figure it out. PLEASE HELP. rgtenn@aol.com
  • madgalaxymadgalaxy Member Posts: 8
    Have the dealer replace the inner tie rods on the front end. This will stop the noise. My MPV did the same thing, but it took the replacing of many parts before they figured it out. Others on these boards have had the same problem and all have been fixed with new inner tie rods.

Gary
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I think I may have the clicking but is the replacement of the inner tie rods something that is necessary for mechanical and/or safety reasons or does it just eliminate the (mildly) annoying clicking noise? Any insights would be very much appreciated as I am of the view that if it doesn't need to be done, I'd prefer to keep the original equipment.
  • nngimnngim Member Posts: 6
    The rear a/c is about what I expected - ductwork with a fan. I didn't expect such a small vehicle to have a separate compressor. Mazda could have at least allowed warm air to flow through this duct as well. Regulating the flow with the fan is also about what I expected, rather than a separate temp control.
  • nngimnngim Member Posts: 6
    I received the semi-trivial tire notice in the mail and pumped up the 16" tires by 3 pounds.

I wonder what happened to the bumper recall? Is Mazda still making the parts, or are they dragging their feet? When I went to the dealer to get the engine computer reprogramming done, the service manager showed me the notification he got about the bumper recall from Mazda, which was going to take place in July.
  • trussmonkeytrussmonkey Member Posts: 5
    So, is it the tires or the tie rods or neither that's causing the pulling / vibrating ????
  • madgalaxymadgalaxy Member Posts: 8
    The tires are causing the vibrating/pulling. Now I had the pulling, but no viberating on my Yokohama 15 inch tires and the dealer replaced 2 of the tires and it no longer does it.

I would recommend getting the inner tie rods replaced if you are getting that popping sound. Not sure if it is a saftey issue. But my take is, if it is making a sound it should not be making, it can not be good thing. Mazda USA knows about it and their engineers recommended to my dealer to replace the inner tie rods, and it fixed the problem. Heck, done the road this issue could turn into a recall??
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I generally agree that if something is making a sound it shouldn't be that you want to get the thing fixed but I have had such horrible experiences in the past with dealers that if it isn't a real problem, I leave it alone. Example, if the clock on my car stopped working, I wouldn't have them rip my dashboard apart to try and fix it, even if it were under warranty. I recognize a popping sound coming from the brakes isn't akin to a clock not working but I think you get my point.
    I'd probably classify the popping sound people are experiencing as a "driveability" issue, and not necessarily a safety issue. The same goes for the van doing the shimmy-dance because of the tires. Of course, tie rods are an integral part of the steering system on a car. If those break/detach...well it's not a good thing (think loss of steering). Just having them loose could mess up the alignment AND possibly the tires.

I'd leave the clock broken too. That way I won't know that I'm always late. ;-)

Cheers!

--Java
  • jessjimjessjim Member Posts: 4
    We finally received a fix from our Mazda Dealership on the lack of AC air coming from the Bi-Level AC setting . To the many of you out there with the same problem , Mazda issued a technical bulletin on how to repair this problem. It is an adjustment of the vent control cable , requiring the glove box to be removed to take up the slack in the airflow mode linkage . Ours works great after this fix . Part # is LC70-61-C35 .
    Kudos to the Mazda Gallery service manager in Massachusetts for his diligence on this problem .
  • julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    I wonder if my problem with rear A/C not blowing out very cold air is related to this problem as well...any ideas anyone?

Also, does anybody know if the rear air means there is a separate compressor? I thought that was the case with our 97 Quest. I will be very disappointed if it is not the case with the MPV. Why did most of us pay the extra $500, if there is not a separate compressor?
  • mwiklemwikle Member Posts: 62
    Educated guess is that front cable is not linked to rear...rear is apparently just an extra evaporator, blower and ductwork on non-4 seasons pkg. equipped vans.

Easy for dealer to check AC performance on next service visit with a thermometer, dealers have specs for cars that indicate normal at given external temps and humidities.

Their is only one compressor...especially if incremental cost is only $500 for rear air. I think that is an advantage actually; fewer moving parts to break and more efficient to have one larger unit and than two smaller units.

Thanks jessjim for Service Bulletin info, will check my van for bi-level function (rarely used by us)!

Anyone know where we can get *current* access to service bulletins? I think I remember a site somewhere with SBs that are running about two years behind, that might carry Mazda...but I want to check for possible issues before Warranty is out.
  • tcreekparmantcreekparman Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having a problem with excessive wind noise coming from the windshield.
  • dlncmaydlncmay Member Posts: 27
    I have no problems with excessive wind noise, but occasionally I have read in this or other MPV conferences that a few owners have commented about excessive wind noise. I am not sure of the source, whether the windshield or from some other place. I believe I recall that one owner had removed the antenna before sending it through the automatic car wash. He/she did not reinstall it properly causing windnoise. It took him/her a while to figure out. Howevever, I believe this owner complained of "whistling." Oh well, let's see what others have to say.

Take care.
  • mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    We have a problem with wind noise -- seems to come from passenger's side. Technician (twice) confirmed this with me, and then service dept. gave me a loaner to drive while they investigated. THEY told me that the MPV just had a lot of wind noise and drove me in a demonstrator that also had some, but I thought it was much less intrusive, as it seemed to come from both sides. Anyway, they told me that district service mgr rode in my car and pronounced the noise "normal." They also had a water leak specialist examine it. I do think now that I've read other posts, I'll take a look at antenna. If they pumped my tires up to 45 psi before delivery, it's just possible that antenna was not screwed in perfectly either. What a great fix that would be!
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I although I am not a MPV Owner,I do read some of the posts overhere. Suggest that you go to the www.caranddriver.com site and go to archive and pull up the initial report on the MPV in the September 99 issue. The wind noise is caused by poorly adjusted doors, which Mazda said they would fix in the production line.

May assist in determining the cause. mykids driver aren't I nice guy
  • rowbonerowbone Member Posts: 1
    Last week my wife was in our 00MPV, 13,000 miles, on the interstate when the right front 15" Yokohama tire came apart. We took it to Sears, at Mazda's request, and they deemed it definitely defective. They ordered a new one and replaced it three days later. Yokohama is behind schedule in tire production.

Not sure this is a large scale problem but for all you MPVers be careful. Post if you have experienced a similar problem.
  • dlncmaydlncmay Member Posts: 27
    Wow!!! Glad to hear your family is fine. Thanks for the post!

Take care.
  • ryang4ryang4 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking into purchasing a 2000 MPV LX. We found one we like, but it doesn't have the 4 seasons pkg. We are concerned about not having heat in the rear because of our cold winters. Has anyone found this to be a problem?
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Everyone I've talked to in Chgo area (a few dealers & Mazda cust relations in CA) has strongly suggested the 4-seasons pkg for anyone that plans on having rear passengers. It is NOT an expensive option (considering price for the vehicle itself).

I've also read a few posts on this site from those that didn't get the 4-seasons pkg and are sorry they didn't. It seems as if some buyers weren't fully aware of its functionality when making their purchase.
  • carmicgfcarmicgf Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 Mazda MPV LX with a towing package, to tow my small Dutchman popup camper. The hitch wt is around 120 lbs and the whole unit weighs 1200 lbs not loaded. I am a little worried since most reviews say the vehicle is way underpowered. I am currently towing the trailer, 4 bikes and a canoe with my 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla wagon (101 hp). I would appreciate any views people have on towing with this vehicle.
    I don't think I'd tow with my new MPV, but that's just my opinion. Now, if they came out with a Cummins powered option, I'm all about towing (wink). I believe the new MPV is rated at 2,600# towing (properly equipped), according to Edmunds. Power-wise, towing 1,200 pounds will slow you down, but you will be okay, I should think. When towing, you are always better off using trailer brakes on the trailer. Safety first. Expect mileage to plummet (of course) when towing to about what you'd get if you owned a Ford Windstar.

I towed quite a bit with my 1990 MPV. It was rated at 5,000#, and it only had about 150hp, but the frame was understandably more heavy duty on the earier model, and it weighed over 4,000 vs 3,600 for the new van. I had towed snowmachines, a power boat, jet skis, 21ft travel-trailer, and my race car (on a 20ft flatbed trailer), also building materials. No, not all at once.

I would think (IMHO) that if you had the 4-Seasons package, you'd be better off towing than a van not so equipped. The reason I say this is because the 4-Seasons package includes a larger radiator AND (best feature...) a transmission cooler. This helps keep your tranny from cooking under the added load. Would that be covered under the warranty? Figure your Dutchman trailer will weigh a full ton when you put water, propane, clothes, dishes, kids' bikes, the canoe, your mother-in-law, all in it for a trip. You might feel like your van tows your trailer almost the same that your Corolla does, given similar p-t-w ratios. But, you'll have LOTS more room!

Cheers!

--java (dispensing nonsense, and fighting crime!)
  • brantybranty Member Posts: 53
    Just got a "Hidden Hitch" installed on my ES (class 2 hitch). Have used it to tow a sail boat (small dingy and not a great deal of weight - no problem at all. Will be towing a Jayco tent trailer this weekend. The MPV manual indicates that the maximum trailer weight (plus baggage, food, etc.) is 3,000 lb (1,361kg) - that is with the Towing Package. The maximum weight for the van (hitch plus passengers and load) plus the loaded trailer is meant to be no more than 6,982 lb (3,167 kg). Will let you know how I fair with the towing upon my return.
  • trussmonkeytrussmonkey Member Posts: 5
    Firestone is recalling 6.5 million tires for causing deaths and injuries. Are the Yokohamas (sp?) or Dunlaps part of Firestone?? And if so, what's Mazda/Ford doing about this?
    Firestone is now owned by Bridgestone.
    I believe Yokohama and Dunlop are entirely separate companies.
    The tires covered under the Firestone recall are for SUVs. Your MPVs Yokos or Dunlaps are not associated with these tires, except that they're all round. '-)

Ford is reportedly doing everything they can to replace the tires for those effected, but Firestone/Bridgestone does not have the inventory to cover it. See the article at http://www.cnn.com for more info.

--Java
    Question: Does the LX with the LX2 (Touring) package have this feature:

Power locks automatically unlock the doors when the igition is turned off.

Any knowledge on this? I was asked this question by a fellow MPV owner with a twin van to mine (LX, Touring Package, etc). His does not automatically unlock, but someone he knows w/ a DX w/power option does. Hmmmm.

I have a Remote Starter on mine, so the van auto locks/unlocks depending on if the igition is on/off.

Someone knows the answer to this, right? THX!

--Javadoc
  • cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    I have an LX with touring package. The doors do NOT automatically unlock when the ignition is turned off.

For what it's worth, I think this is a good thing.
This discussion has been closed.