Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Many thanks for the info.
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I am thinking about buying an extended warranty (Toyota platinum) for my 2000 Camry LE V6. I have just over 30K miles on it, so I would need to decide in the next couple of months. Anyone have any ideas on how much such a warranty would cost?

I have read that it is good to shop around to different dealerships. I have called 2 so far. One quoted me a ridiculous amount of $1600 for the platinum warranty (6 years/100K miles). They are notoriously known for their high prices though they give excellent service (I get my car serviced there regularly). Another dealer (where I originally bought my car) quoted $1000 for the same plan, except for 7 years/100K miles (I don't know what's up with the difference in years, sounds fishy to me). The second offer sounds fairly reasonable to me, plus she offered me a no interest/no tax 12 month payment plan with 10% down. Is this a good deal? Or can I do better and should keep shopping around?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    6.6 vs. 8.0 seconds or so is enough to put the Accord ahead by a few car lengths. That's like saying the Accord goes to 60 in 6.6 seconds while a BMW M5 does it in 5.0 seconds. Which one would you pick for the race?

The Camry is a VERY nice car but it's never had the sportiness of the Accord going all the way back to the 90-93 generation of Accords. The Camry floats along while the Accord feels more connected to the road. Kind of the difference between a Benz (camry) and a BMW (Accord).
  • Options
    bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    You're right about the Camry ( and ES300 ) being more like a entry-level Mercedes and the Accord more like a entry-level BMW. But it seems like the gap between the Accord & Camry when it comes to comfort ( ride & how quiet it is in the cabin ) is closing with the 03 Accord. Both cars are really smart choices in their price range.( $20-30K )

We will always find something to complain about but you really can't go wrong with either car ( unless you get a lemon which is rare )
  • Options
    pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Don't worry Camry fans, Toyota will put a new 3.3L V6 into the RX300 for '03. Hence, the name changes to RX330. Its output is somewhere around that magical number of 240 hp "depending on the model" according to Toyota. In '04, the ES300 will get this bigger engine. I suspect it won't be too long before this engine finds its way into the Camry. Toyota can't help but join this "power war" with Honda and Nissan.
  • Options
    mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    I didn't buy my Camry because of the power, I bought it for the value. I'm sure a lot of other Camry owners feel this way as well.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I will be replacing tires on my 99 LE.Currently have Pirelli P400,nice tire but only got 38k from them. Any thoughts on the Michelin X-One (or X-Radial plus at BJ's warehouse), or the BF Goodrich Touring T/A SR4? Any other suggestions. I do 70%highway,about 30k miles per year.
  • Options
    Value? What does the Camry have over its competitors in terms of value? A Buick Century, in my opinion, would have more value, since it costs less than a Camry.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Value doesnt simply mean a lower purchase price. Value to me means offering a combination of characteristics for not a great deal of money. In terms of the Camry (and not the Century, can you please never compare the two again?), IMO, you get a good purchase price, repsonsive and refined powertrain, excellent fuel economy, high build quality, room, well controlled ride and predictable handling and braking (though not sporty in our LE), and the promise of long term reliability. I love our Camry, its an outstanding car for the money but, once the price comes down, I think the soon to be introduced Accord will be the best value 4cyl mainstreamer in this class. I will never find it's rear end attractive though.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I couldn't have said it better myself. The back end of the Accord is really butt ugly, looks like that old Fiat from a long time ago. Probaly have to sneak up on it , lol! The interior is way cool though, especially the dash. Can't wait to test drive one.

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    ninocarlosninocarlos Member Posts: 2
    Having been a Honda owner all my life (2 civics, 1 accord) I must say I am VERY impressed with the '02 Camry. So much so, that I bought my first Toyota. A Camry XLE 4cyl. I think what I love about my Camry is the ride, comfort, and the overall look. The Accord is a more fun car to drive though, but for my needs the Camry is just superior. First off, I travel a lot on the hwy and the Camry is the better ride. Quieter, more refined, and comfortable. It really shines when you have a full load (3 adults one child) with some luggage. The Camry rides just beautifully. The Accord is very sluggish with a full load and not as comfortable. (We are talking V4 only not V6). The 16 cubic feet of trunk space is just awesome. Overall I think they are both 2 of best cars in their class. But if I were driving more in the city, mostly by myself, I would buy an Accord. If I am doing more hwy, usually have company, I will pick the Camry. one final note, some people have actually said my Camry looks and feels like a baby Lexus. No one has ever said my Accord has looked anything less than an Accord. This is just my opinon.
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Look into Toyo Premium tires they wear well and give a good ride.
  • Options
    hemihead1hemihead1 Member Posts: 5
    Belated thanks for the part number (PT264-33020). The parts department at our local Toyota dealer says that that is a frame rather than a bracket, "Toyota hasn't offered a bracket for years." I think they're wrong. Could you please clear up the confusion. Thanks.
  • Options
    2002camry2002camry Member Posts: 20
    After sending NHTSA an Email as to when they might test the 2002 Camry with side air bags this is their response.

Aug 8,2002 - Unfortunately we are not able to test all cars in every mode. Congress has to approve the money spent on the New Car Assessment Program and we cannot spend a dollar more than what Congress approves. In recent years the New Car Assessment Program has been allotted $2.6 million dollars. We think it is a bargain for the taxpayers and we are working to make the information more clear and easier to obtain. In order to optimize the money allotted by Congress, we generally test those vehicles with high- projected sales volume. Sometimes, NHTSA chooses to test a vehicle that has a potentially innovative safety device, regardless of the sales volume. You might try the IIHS, EURO NCAP, NRMA or Japan's web site. You can link to them from our web site.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ratings.htm

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/safety/safint.htm

http://www.nrma.com.au/

http://www.osa.go.jp/
  • Options
    Great review of your Camry-its great to see that Honda and Toyota people can see the values of the different designs and philosophies!
    Regards.
    alpha

PS-does anyone here frequent the Camry Owner's Club? I try to restrict my TH interaction to only the Sedans and News and Views Boards, because I find this place highly addictive, and then my personal productivity plummets. So- is it worth checking out?
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Good Year Eagles HP. Been as good as the Michilins for me.
  • Options
    castleownercastleowner Member Posts: 42
    I must disagree that the Camry is not competing in the same segment as Century or Regal or Impala.

In fact, in choosing my 02 Camry, my only other consideration was in fact Century or Regal or Impala.

Accord did NOT even enter into my equation because I don't much care about "road feel". I prefer the road feel to be mostly removed, while maintaining control. Also, 02 accord low end torque was lacking. I hate it when potholes filter into the cabin, and affect passengers, and I dislike drivers that swerve to avoid them, or suddenly slow down, because they are getting too much "road feel".

I chose 02 camry over Century or Regal or Impala for interior styling and "so-called" reliability which tipped the scales. Century or Regal or Impala have more driveable powertrains though, in my opinion.
  • Options
    You said you didn't like its rear end in your earlier post... are you talking about the Camry's rear end or the new Accord's?

To my knowledge, I was also fully awake when writing that post, and you indeed can compare the Camry to the Century or Regal. Both are midsize cars with similar equipment. After you sit in both, however, it's clear the Camry is the winner in terms of quality, but you can't beat the price of the Century.
  • Options
    "I love our Camry, its an outstanding car for the money but, once the price comes down, I think the soon to be introduced Accord will be the best value 4cyl mainstreamer in this class. I will never find it's rear end attractive though."

I was referring to the Accord. My apoloiges for the misused complex clause in that sentence. BTW-I love the way our Camry looks (Strat Blue, alloys, and squeaky clean.. until I go back to school in 3 wks).

If we absolutely MUST compare the Camry and Century-
    A Century Custom with 1SB and aluminum wheels lists at MSRP for $22,642.

A Camry LE V6 with Pkg 2 and standard alloys lists at $23,620.
    A Camry LE 4cly (which in reality shouldnt be very far off the Century's numbers) with ABS, Pkg 2, and Alloys lists at $22,052.

I really don't see a huge advantage, or at least not one to the degree to which you see. Obviously, with 3 grand cash back on the Century, you can buy it cheap. BUT, on the other side of the purchase equation.... GM's warranty sucks, reliability doesnt compare to Toyota, and have you ever seen the RESALE on a Century? Kills the value rating, IMO.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    The Camry is a better value because it will last longer and will be worth more than a Buick (I agree with alpha, you can't compare the two - not fair to the buick). And, quite honestly, I like it better than anything else in it's class. That's the big thing right there.
  • Options
    guevinjguevinj Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know which particular brand of Toyo tires give the quietest ride? Also, how much is the savings per tire on the Toyos versus the Michelin X-Ones? Is the quality of the Toyos comparable to the Michelins? I know Consumer Guide recently rated the X-Ones as the top passenger car tire, but if the Toyos are comparable in quality (and better in price), I'll go with them. The Generals I currently have on my Camry are not great, and are rather noisy, so I'd like my replacement tires to give a quieter ride.
    Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    "Over the next several years, GM plans to eliminate the Buick Century, a sedan that currently sells in large volumes to rental fleets. It also will discontinue the Oldsmobile Alero coupe and sedan, as well as the Intrigue sedan, as part of its plan to shut down the Oldsmobile division"

By GREGORY L. WHITE
    Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, Aug 08, 2002
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    For all of your questions on tires go to tirerack.com They have loads of information there.
  • Options
    The 4cyl vvti generates about 130lb-ft at 1200rpm, 145lbft at 2000rpms, and 162lbft at 4400rpm.

02 Accord vtec generates 110lbft at 1200rpm, 130lbft at 2000rpms, and 150lbft at 4700rpm.

It remains to be seen whether 03 Accord can crack the Toyota advantage on providing good low end torque in an efficient 4 cylinder. Only the torque curve will tell all.

The comparisons with Accord pedal to the metal 0-60 times are pointless because Camrys are all about providing decent acceleration when you tap the accelerator, and without horrifying your passengers.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, please, quoting other sources is okay *if* you can provide a link to the material. Otherwise the Town Hall has copyright worries.

A couple messages need to be deleted and reposted with proper links. I would appreciate it if the posters would take care of the issue.

thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    that a lot of Toyota owners aren't in their 20s. Well, at least that was a few years ago. Since then, Toyota has done made a lot of efforts in trying to attract younger people. The redesigned Celica, RAV4, Corolla, and the new Matrix are all cars that sell really well with younger people. I think it'll take a few more years before we see the effects of those models. The younger generation will usually go to the Honda lot before Toyota because Hondas tend to be less expensive, and their models cater often to the aftermarket crowd. Look at how many Civics were in Fast and the Furious! The Supra did steal the show at the end though... ;)
  • Options
    castleowner: A pre-02 Camrys's 0-60 was competitive .... with an Insight.

The new Camry 4 did improve upon that but you can't just look at torque. The above-mentioned Buicks have a 3.8L V6 with gobs of torque but they aren't any faster than the Camry or Accord. Are they easier to accelerate ... probably. But if people are buying the Camry because it's "easier" to drive doesn't that show that the Camry fan-base is more focused on getting from point A to point B while expending the least amount of effort while the average Accord owner probably wants to have a little fun along the way.

And I don't avoid potholes because my suspension can't handle it. I avoid them out of love for my car. All it takes is one good pothole to flatten a tire or knock your car out of alignment.
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Member Posts: 7
    I drove a 2002 Camry today and all this hype about the new Camry is just that, hype. The seats were uncomfortable as they had very little body contour (I felt like I was falling off the seat towards the door), the 4 cylinder was pathetic, the dash/inside was CHEAP (I felt like I was driving an $8,000 new 1984 Corolla), the new dash design is much worse than the old style and it's debatable whether the new body style is an improvement. I was more interested in the '99 and '00 models. Toyota, you screwed this one up.
  • Options
    "Toyota's Avalon guns for Buick

Redesigned sedan vies for LeSabre customers

WILL THIS car loosen Buick's perennial grip on the full-size sedan market?

Depending on your reaction to its, uh, distinctive styling, the answer is a definite maybe.

Technically, we don't consider the Toyota Avalon to be a full-size car. By Free Press standards a model must be at least 200 inches long to qualify, and the Avalon is not quite 192 inches.

But Toyota readily acknowledges that it's gunning for Buick with the redesigned 2000 Avalon, "

BY TONY SWAN

DETROIT FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

Link:

http://www.auto.com/reviews/fp_1028_avalon.htm

"High-Quality Buick'

If Toyota can't get younger blood into the brand, the base gets so old it collapses on itself," said George Peterson, president of AutoPacific Inc., an automotive consulting company based in Tustin, California. Toyota has evolved into a high- quality Buick. The average age of the Camry buyer is over 50. That's scary."

February 28, 2002

BY DORON LEVIN

BLOOMBERG NEWS

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirp28_20020228.htm

• Options
    If you want the Camry ride to be softer than it already is then you back up what I was saying about Camry drivers are usually not after the sportiest/fastest family sedan out there.

If you can avoid a pothole ... why wouldn't you? Why put your car through that if you don't have to? I see drivers of all types of cars swerving slightly to avoid a pothole so it has nothing to do with the suspension on the car (unless it' severely lowered or it has 20" rims on it). I guess some people care about their cars and others don't.

And I buy my car for my enjoyment, not my passengers. If they want to make my car payments for me then maybe it would be a different story.
  • Options
    Congrats. Your opinion is completely opposite that of most everyone in the country-owners and press. Only your seating argument is valid. The dash and controls are 10x better in execution and tactile appeal than plain vanila, black plastic surrounds and swamp green lighting in the previous generation, and if you thought the 157hp/162lbft engine is pathetic (it is not), obviously you never drove the 2.2L that is much less powerful and delivers worse fuel economy. Toyota certainly did not "screw this one up". If you don't like it, don't buy it- there are plenty of other choices. And if you want a 99 (with those diminutive 14in tires), there are plenty in the used car market of those as well. Best of luck.
    ~alpha
    2000 LE
    2002 LE
  • Options
    porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Although I lean far more your way than boomers, the issue of seat comfort has been brought up here several times in the past.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • Options
    Thats what i said. (re)Read comment "only your argument about seat comfort is valid". I personally find the seat very comfortable, but if you read my post, this is boomer's only argument that i chose not to refute, opting instead to disprove the rest of his absurd statements.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    and I bought a Camry (I'm 29, but it still counts). I think it is a great car! The seats are comfortable for me, the build quality is excellent, and it is rooooooomy. I plan on having this car for a while, so I needed something that was going to be versatile. It also helped that I bought an SE, its looks attracted me more than the LE.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Is the current SE model selling better than it did on the third generation Camry?
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Because around here the Camry SE is RARE! I hardly see them.
  • Options
    There are quite a few in Cincinnati...more than you would see of the older generation SE verses its counterparts.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I'd have to go with the X-One, they are on my parent's Corolla right now...and the wear has been great so far. Ride and noise are similar to the Michelin XGT4 which came OEM on the car. My family prefers Michelins....our 93 Caravan is riding on the Michelin X-radials, been about 40,000 miles and still plenty of life left, where the OEM Goodyear Invicta GA only lasted 40,000 with horrible wear.

BF Goodrich Touring T/A SR4, they are made by Michelin, but have a lower price, and lower warranty life.
  • Options
    I don't see too many of them around here (Chicago). When we bought ours, there were only two on the lot.
  • Options
    I sat in a Camry SE V6 today at the dealer while my oil was being changed. It's very nice! This car had tan cloth...the ideal for me would be black leather. A very nice interior nonetheless. And I didn't have to worry about hitting my head getting in and out like in my Corolla.
  • Options
    marylandpetermarylandpeter Member Posts: 11
    I'm real interested in purchasing a 2002 or 2003 Camry but am very concerned about all the news of oil sludge buildup in Camry engines. My understanding is that the 2002 and 2003 models still use the same engine design as the 2001 and earlier models (and therefore is also susceptible to oil sludge buildup). Should this stop me from buying a new Camry? Does anyone know when the Camry engine is going to be re-designed and released in production models?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can find lots of information on this subject by typing "sludge" into the keyword search box on the left sidebar.

:)
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The "sludge" problem has been overrated but it DOES NOT affect the 2002 and the 2003 Camry 4-cylinder engines which are brand new for 2002. The 6-cylinder is still the "old design" but improvements have been made on it. IMO it is still best to change your oil and oil filter every 3000 miles or every 3 months. The so-called sludge build-up only affected 1/10th of 1 percent of all the engines. I hope this helps.
    By the way, The new Honda Accord comes out September 9 and I would check it out also before I purchased the Camry even though you couldn't go wrong with the Camry. I am anxious to see the 2003 Accord because it is supposed to have many improvements over the current 2002 design, which is still a remarkable vehicle.
  • Options
    bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Toyota did a fix on their V6 engines manufactured after April, so if you're buying an '02 V6, make sure it was produced some time after April
  • Options
    As this year winds down I'm thinking about an 03 Camry. The seats are a problem but with power seats you ought to solve the situation. What bothers me is the incredibly dull color of the interior. I have a mouse gray 96 and I don't like the stone. We had a 93 Corolla with a nice dark blue interior and it was great. I also thin the 4cyl is rather noisy but then I'm comparing to an
    Avalon 6.
  • Options
    The current 4 cylinder Camry (which has never had any elevated incidences of sludge is its family history, at least in this country), has been called one of the smoothest, most refined 4s on the market by several publications. Perhaps in comparison to the Avalon V6 it is not whisper quiet, but compared to practically all of the 4s on the market today (with the expected exception of the new Accord 4), it sets the standard for the class. Although there are no incentives on the Camry in this area, they are selling at/around 200 over invoice, so you should be able to get a very good price on a popularly equipped 4cylinder.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    felixdacat13felixdacat13 Member Posts: 25
    About a month ago I had a cd that got stuck. 2002 LE. Brought
    to the dealership and they could not get it out. Now, over 3 weeks
    later, parts STILL does not have a new stereo (JBL) for me.
    AS a matter of fact, I have had to call every week for status. Last week it was not even ordered yet because they did not know if I had an orange or green backlight. (not like they could have checked when ordering it). Now it is backordered. Something about a shortage of these systems... Has anyone else had problems. My poor kids want to listen to their music cd's!

Sandy
  • Options
    george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    Seat problem: many people seem not to have any problem with the Camry seat. But if you do have a problem, power does NOT solve it. I have the LE4 with power option and, as I have posted here, I have tried everything to fix the seat without success. Four different auto upholsterers have made changes, one made it so much worse I had to buy a new foam insert, I've tried every cushion and cover on the market (I've got a closet full), and while things are improved, it's still not comfortable enough for a long drive. Now I'm just waiting for the 2003 Accord, which the head Honda designer claims has an entirely new and marvelous seat (we'll see), to reach a local dealer so I can try it. As for the rest of the car, I think it's wonderful - quiet, smooth, responsive, no racer but neither am I (no problem in merging onto a 65 mph highway). In other words, if you like the seat, you'll love the car; but be super sure you really like the seat.
  • Options
    We had an 88 Accord It was a great car but the seat gave both my wife and I a backache. Now 4 Subaru's and 3 Toyotas later we are satisfied with the seats. The 96 is better than than the 97 but neither is bad. The Subaru Legacy was OK we had a new one every year. They are not as refined as a Toyota. Both Camry's are over 80000 miles and the Avalon is just outstanding in every respect. It is a great road car.
  • Options
    bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Its late here in the Big Apple so I'll try to be as brief as possible.

In 1986, my mom looked at the Accord and put down a deposit for one. She changed her mind and got her deposit back. She ended up buying Accord's rival, the Camry.

Well 16 1/2 years and 221,900 miles later with no major problems its now time for my mom to buy a new car. Now I'm an adult trying to help my mom select her "perfect" new car. I also believe you take a chance on any brand but I know that Toyotas & Hondas are most reliable.

The 2003 Accord and 2003 Camry are both on my mom's list ( the Altima is a little too "crude",the Avalon is for "old" people , she is 64 , US cars have too many problems, the Mazda 6 - ? )

By the way I have noticed more 1986 Camrys on the road than 1986 Accords.