Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I'd say go for the Camry. I don't think its styling is stodgy like others say. The 2003 Camry should have any of its production bugs worked out whereas the new Accord is more likely to be prone to them since it is its first year of production. Prices on the new Accord should be higher because of the demand.
  • Options
    i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    The 2003 Accord and 2003 Camry are both on my mom's list ( the Altima is a little too "crude",the Avalon is for "old" people , she is 64 , US cars have too many problems, the Mazda 6 - ? )

You should go with the Camry, but make sure you get a Japanese made model. The Kentucky made Camrys will probably suffer integrity problems that a Japanese equivalent Camry would likely never have. My Japanese made 1991 Camry LE (which I bought off my mother so she could buy her next car, a Toyota Avalon) is still solid after nearly 11 years on the road, no rattles and no squeaks. My mother's 1999 Avalon XLS (Platinum Edition) made in Kentucky, while it's a good car overall, it has numerous interior squeaks and rattles. It's because of this why my mother is trading it in on a new Lexus ES 300 in a few months.

You will however still get a bunch of miles out of a Camry, no matter where it was assembled.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I have a 99 LE with 99,250 miles. It has been a very nice and dependable car. I am looking foreward to the 100,000 mark but it is just not the same with the darn new digital computerized odometer. The feeling of the 99999 'rolling' over has been lost. Now it all happens in a fraction of a second. Just a minor observation.
    As far as selling it, I think I might be better off 'giving it' to my son who turns 17 in 9 months when it will have about 120,000 on it. I imagine the dealers will not give me what it is worth.
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Member Posts: 7
    Hey Ralph-Malpha, my opinion of the '02 Camry stands no matter what you say. The seat is not contoured to give maximum comfort (or minimum for that matter) which you should get for a car this price, the dashboard looks like a rectangular box glued to the back of the hood (extremely bland and ugly - perhaps this is why you like it so much), and the 4 cy is LAME. The dash blows so much it reminds me of an old Chevy Citation. I don't need your advice...after driving it, I couldn't get away from it quick enough. I then drove a '99 GLE V6 which blew away the '02. Better inside styling by far, comfortable seats and it was quick and cornered well in spite of the 3" tires or whatever your crap comment regarding the tires was. By the way I have an Acura 3.5 RL so I think I can judge styling, comfort and performance in an automobile. Say hello to Richie Cunningham and the Fonz for me.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Getting a little personal in the above post!

Re lame 4-cylinder: I test drove the 4-cyl 5 speed and found it to be just a hair slower (feeling anyway - did not have a stopwatch) than my brothers '98 Maxima v-6 5-speed - and it was about as smooth and quiet. It is certainly faster and smoother than my 5-speed Integra (of course handling is another matter).

The automatic may be a different story, but I doubt by too much.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    This is the first time I've read about someone saying that the new Toyota 4-cylinder is "lame". It's a modern engine using very sophisticated technology (VVT-i has even been seen as a greater, more usable technology in everyday life than the Honda VTEC), while gaining in power from its predecessor while reducing emissions. I wouldn't say this is lame.

The 2003 Accord will use a 4-cylinder as its base engine that's comparable to Toyota's in term of power. The new Accord is hardly lame either.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I think that dude was driving a Corsica...not a Camry!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Umm, folks. Let's remember a couple of things.

Debate opinions, debate facts, debate ideas, debate wishes, whatever. But please remember that the concept of civility and respect in our conversations is really the cornerstone of the Town Hall. If you disagree with someone else's opinion, express that disagreement without attacking the person (or the person's name, or associations or anything of the sort).

And we all need to keep in mind that styling is purely subjective. What I like you might hate and what I hate you might like. That does not make either of us wrong or right. It just makes us different.

And THAT is a good thing.

:)

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    I've posted here and on other Edmund's chat boards a few times. I need some expert or other wise sound advice. I have a 5 year lease on a 2000 Camry CE. I'm exactly 2 years into the lease. No problems to speak of with the car, just very minor sqeaks. I would like very much to get out of my lease because of financial reasons. I've read Edmund's advice on terminating leases and understand most of it. I'm lopsided on my car because I was too stupid to see what the Toyota dealer was doing when they added in my other vehicle with my current one. The car is in mint condition with 9,700 miles. It also has the power group package. I know what Edmund's TMV gives as a trade in so I would lose my butt if trading it in. I've tried the other alternative, that is selling it out right and finding someone to assume my lease - no luck on either. Sorry for the long winded background. What I would like an opinion on is this: Would it be better to try and keep paying the lease payment (310.63/month)for 3 more years and negotiate a purchase of the car? or... With all the great car deals, try getting the best trade in on something like a new Hyundai Accent that has a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and with the low interest rates, get a cheaper payment for 5 years? Please give me your opinions out there! Thanks.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    Please don't take this the wrong way but.....

Do you remember the movie "Twister" with Helen Hunt? Well,what I'm about to say is illegal and is only an attempt at humor but if you have no morals you can wait until tornado season and put your car in the path of an oncoming twister (like they did with "DORTHY" and let the GAP protection make up the difference between the value of your car and the balance.

.... Do you remeber the movie "TITANIC"?...that would probably work too.

GAP Protection = insurance policy that pays the difference between the actual cash value and the balance owed. It is common on leased vehicle because the leasing company has interest in the vehicle as well as the leasee and this policy helps protect the lease company.

As far as helping you:
    how much is the monthly lease payment?
    what is the buyout or payoff?
    what is the residual value?

Let us know and I'm sure you will get some good advice. I'm off tomorrow but others will take care of you.
    Good Luck.
  • Options
    THANK YOU FOR THE HONEST AND TRUTHFULL REPLY. THE MONTHLY PAYMENT IS $310.63, I OWE $16,900 AND RESIDUAL IS $8,555. THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES.
  • Options
    rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I thought all camrys were made in USA. But inside the drivers side door panel it says that mine was made in Japan. Anyone know anything about where the camry is made?
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Member Posts: 7
    Ok, I went overboard a little. When someone hurls a knife my way I shoot first and ask questions later. So my apologies for the personal commment. However, my opinion about the Camry stands. When I said the Camry 4 cy was lame I was comparing it to the V6 not a 1975 Chevy Vega. Compared to the Vega the Camry 4cy is a technological wonder. By the way, I drove a '99 Avalon today and loved it. The private party who is selling it bought a '02 Avalon. I didn't drive the '02 but the appearance of it was less desireable IN MY OPINION. I just don't like these new boxy styles.
  • Options
    bonovox80bonovox80 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone. I rented a beige 2002 Camry LE4 automatic about a month ago, and all I can say is WOW. Nice ride! Took it on a road trip to my old college stomping ground. I kept in mind the whole time other people's likes/dislikes about the car. I found the Camry to be very roomy and very solid. Don't recall hearing one squeek or rattle. The engine felt quite lively, and didn't leave me wishing for more power. Makes me wonder what the V6 is like, though! I also never noticed any hesitating in the transmission, like I've read about in previous posts. As far as minor dislikes, I found that I never really got used to the brakes after two days of driving the Camry. Wish they had a firmer feel to them. The seat was okay, but my lower back did kind of hurt after about an hour of straight driving. Then again, I had a hard time getting used to my Civic's seat when I first bought it. Now it feels quite comfortable. I'm hoping to possibly purchase a 2003 Camry, maybe around tax time next year. We'll see...
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Almost all Camrys for US purchase are made in the US but some are still made in Japan. Most of the Japan-made Camrys are destined for the west coast. The first digit of the VIN will tell where it is made. "J" for Japan and "1" for USA.
  • Options
    black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    First VIN digit of "4" also indicates US
  • Options
    attorneymikeattorneymike Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen the government's side impact two star result for the Camry. Hard to believe, but true I suppose. The Lexus ES300 (a higher priced Camry?) was tested with side airbags, and did much better. Thoughts? Makes me only want to buy a Camry with side airbags, assuming the Camry with side airbags will mirror the Lexus ES300 side impact performance. Links to the screen to see results is as follows, just type in the year, make and model for both cars:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/SList2.cfm

Sad, Sad, Sad.

• Options
    Any more suggestions, opinions or thoughts on my post 4160? Please feel free to write! Thanks to all.
  • Options
    claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I posted on Smart Shopper, but thought I'd also post here as that board does not get much traffic. My wife's aunt in Mobile, AL found a demo 2002 SE V6 with leather and sunroof. I have not talked to her, but she calls it "loaded." It also has 11,000 miles on it. I'm in Atlanta so I can't see it myself. Anyway, the dealer won't budge off $24,000. Looking at Edmunds' TMV, a V6 SE with Package 4 should go for $24,363. This one may have more on it, I'm not sure. But, with 11,000 miles I would think, based on TMV, that an offer closer to $22,000 would be okay. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Sorry, but this website, even for its myriad defenders, is behind the times, and more than a few days behind Toyota's announcements. In reference to a previous post, this is EXACTLY what one Camry page says: "You may find yourself more than a little amazed by all the features that come with the entry Camry. Add options like a JBL premium audio system and power driver's seat (standard on the XLE)." Well duh. If its standard on the LE, it'll probably be standard on the XLE. My point-this page clearly hasnt been updated since Toyota added features to the base cars.

More blantant examples of Toyota website missteps? How bout "building your own" Corolla- once you get to the interior page, the interior they show is of the previous generation Corolla, which hasnt been around since ONE YEAR AGO. Additionally, Toyota's website is nowhere near as useful as are, for example, Nissan's or Mazda's or even Honda's. Nissan/Mazda integrate dealer websites into the corp. site, allowing for easy inventory searches, up to date regional offerings, etc. Does Toyota not realize that it is shooting its ownself in the foot by being so far behind the times? Sorry about that. Gotta get back on topic before I get in trouble from the boss. (sorry Pat!)

2002 Camry LE: about 22K and not one problem. Love the car. (I more than agree about the extra cockpit room versus the Accord- I noticed this and I'm only 5-8)
    ~alpha
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    That price does seem a bit high for a car with 11,000 miles on it. Now if it had 110 or even 1100 miles, that would be a different story. That car might be about a year old since I bought my SE V6 a year ago September. I have about 12,500 miles on it and I was looking to trade it in a while ago. (Nothing wrong with the car, just a change of heart.) But the dealer would only give me $18,000. My car doesn't have the leather but it does have pkg. 3. I would think $22,000 is very fair, if not too much. How much are the 2003's?
  • Options
    billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    Are the leather seats in the LE the same as the ones in the XLE?

Also, can you request a Japanese made Camry? We have a '94 XLE built in Japan, a '97 XLE built in Kentucky, and a 2000 Solara SLE built in Canada.

Japan build quality, fit and finish was superb.
    Kentucky was good.
    Canada Solara build quality was poor.

Wish I could get a 2003 Camry from Japan.
  • Options
    bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Unchanged from '02, according to Toyota. The XLE adds fog lamps and a 6-disc cd player. LE and SE add remote door locks standard.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. $22k may even be a tad too high. Anyone else?
  • Options
    Does anybody know when it will be updated to include 2003 info? I see it has info for some 03 models, but not for the Camry.
  • Options
    Any ideas regarding post 4160? Thanks!
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I think most here are too polite to tell you the obvious: you are stuck with an impossible situation, and you can't really "get out of it". No matter what you do, it is going to cost you still more money on what was a lousy deal in the first place. Call me impolite, but you asked.

You can always exit a lease, but the cost is going to eat up all or more of what you say you want, which is to lower your costs. Your situation is a cautionary tale of what to avoid, and a good reason why I generally counsel my friends and family to avoid leases, period, unless there is some kind of corporate writeoff involved.

I would do one of two things, depending on your threshold of pain:

Stick with it, run to the end of the lease, and then decide what to do with the car - buy it, let Toyota have it, whatever.

Sell it for whatever fair market value is right now [low teens?], exit the lease, eat a big $ chunk, and consider this the price of a lesson learned. But a Hyundai as the "solution" to this problem? Only if you want to pay still longer for an inferior product that will be even more worthless than your current car in 3 more years.

Find a good used Civic or Corolla, and try to get a creative F & I guy/gal to work the deal is another alternative, but this time you'd better check the math yourself...that's why calculators were invented. By sticking with a Toyota product, you might find a deal that can somehow improve on your current situation, but in any case, that is a far better alternative than any new Hyundai in the price category you're talking about.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Good advice from jrct. My personal opinion is to just suck it up and live with the Camry till the lease ends, then get rid of it! I bought a used Corolla about 5 years ago, a year old one, and it has been wonderful as well as cheap to keep!

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    Thanks for more straight forward comments (advice)! I guess I just needed the input from someone(s) on the outside to clear my head and make me realize the reality of my situation. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I know I am an "outsider" here; but I could not help but notice your situation when posting about the demo Camry SE. My advice to you is to keep the Camry and get a part time job to help you pay for it.

I know that advice sucks, but look where you are. You borrowed too much car two years ago as evidenced by the fact that you had to take out a 5 year LEASE to get the payments in line. You should have just bought (not leased/borrowed) a Corolla, Elantra, Protege, or some similar car instead--but I guess you know that now as you considered trading into a Hyundai Accent to get out of this lease. Edmunds' TMV for a 2000 CE with automatic, air, CD, power functions, low miles and in excellent condition (I gave you the benefit of the doubt because of your super low mileage) is $12,732. I think it is fair to say you will be offered $10-$11,000 for it though. This is because 2002 Camry LE with automatic models are advertised for $17,900 or so in the paper. The dealer knows to give you $12,700 for yours, they would have to be able to sell it for $16,700--and they aren't going to get it. They may sell it for $14,000, though--meaning they can give you about $10,000 to $11,000 for yours.

For the sake of argument, though, say you get $12,700 for it. You owe $16,900. meaning you are $4200 upside down. You will not be able to roll that amount into the value of a new Accent, Corolla, used Civic or whatever becuase you won't be able to finance $4200 more than the compact car is worth. I'm assuming that because you can't afford the $310/mo lease payment that you don't have $4200 sitting around to get out of the deal at trade-in.

You may be able to find a car such as Cavalier or Neon with a couple thousand cash back from the manufacturer, plus a markdown from the dealer, plus a crafty F&I guy to make a deal work for you--but I would not do that. All that would do is put you in an inferior product that you would be way upside down on for a long time.

I honestly feel your best bet is to get a 15-20 hour a week part time job at Target--make an extra $350-$500 a month and continue your lease. Then, please make sure you never lease again. You can't blame the dealer for your current deal because you signed the papers. You knew the upside down amount of your trade would have to be rolled into your new arrangement because that obligation does not go away when you trade for a new car. On top of never falling for the 5 year lease, never fall for the line "We'll pay off your trade no matter how much you owe when we make a deal!" They are not paying off your trade--they are rolling your old balance into your new loan/lease agreement. Take responsibility for this mistake and then take the responsibility to handle this problem in an adult way. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    From Toyota's "build your own" webpage:

"LE V6 4 Speed Automatic

It's sleek. It's stylish. And it comes well-equipped. In addition to the 6 cylinder 192-hp VVT-i engine, the LE boasts power door locks and windows, a 60/40 folding rear seat, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Child Restraint System (CRS) anchors and a full spare. For a complete list of features, model highlights and available equipment, go to Specifications."

Is this true or a misprint? It says it still has 192 horsepower, though.
    (Note: It says the same thing on SE and XLE sections too)
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for your reply as it came across very honest. That's what I was looking for. You gave me and others in my same situation great advice and a lesson to be learned! At least I have a good car and it will have low miles when I turn it back in, in 3 years which should do well for me. You're right in saying to never lease again -I can guarantee that! Thanks to you and all who replied. Take care all.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    It's a typo

in the specs page, it does not say VVT-i, and if it did have VVT-i, it would have at least 210 bhp.
  • Options
    terryc2terryc2 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a 2002 camry LE with ABS and side air bag on July 13th in Tampa, Florida. Dealer told me that I could have it in 2 months at most. But now, he said that I have to wait until end of October, with a 2003 model with 'comparable savings' in price. Is this normal or a scam? Should I wait or refund? Thanks!
  • Options
    nach0232nach0232 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a v6,it handles beautiful,it run nicely good enough power but, at 120 mph the motor disconnects itself,so it won`t go any faster,it`s not that I want to drive that fast all the time,but I had 96 accord 4 cylinders and it could go over 120 mph easy,is there a way to disconect the speed limit control? by the way my camry is made in the U.S.A sold and running in Mexico,one of the first ones in this country,so I guess,it`s a good bussines for everyone.
  • Options
    dshenmdyndshenmdyn Member Posts: 34
    Any owner can confirm this? Thanks.
  • Options
    My LE does not have one. It also does not have pockets in the back of the front seats...somewhat annoying!
  • Options
    My 2002 LE does not have a visor extension. It also is lacking pockets on the seat backs, a lights-on chime when you shut your engine(I know auto off headlights) and a trunk open indicator. Are these feautures on the XLE?
  • Options
    I guess Toyota had to leave off a few little things in order to keep prices in line with the previous model. I'm sure the new Accord will be the same way. I know Chrysler had to remove some of the "toys" from their 2003 mini vans to hold prices in line with the 2002 models. It's a shame, but as long as people shop based on price, that's what will happen.
  • Options
    We have a new 2002 Camry LE and a 96 Rav with 65K. At the Rav's recent oil change service the dealer (with whom we have a good relation) recomended removing the power brake fluid and replacing it because it was cloudy. I inquired as to why it was cloudy and if this was a sign of contamination. They said the fluid breaks down over time and this was not uncommon for the year and mileage of the car. When pushed they said this was only marginally required service and would benefit the master cylinder etc. as well as give us a noticable feel in the brakes. (whatever all that means) Personally I have never heard of this. We are however very good about maintenance on our cars. I just hate to spend $100 on something who's only purpose may be to add some profit margin to the dealers book. Has anyone else had this done? Is it necesary?
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Brake Fluid also absorbs moisture readily.

it's a good idea to change the brake fluid every few years.

My VW's maintenance manual recommends it.
  • Options
    Can you tell me if the seats in the LE are the same as those in the XLE? It seems that some here are having comfort problems with the LE seats. I've rented quite a few LEs from Hertz and haven't noticed any major discomfort, but I haven't driven 300-500 miles at one time either.

Let me know your thoughts on the difference between the two models and whether you've experienced the same thing with the Camry seats.

As always......thanks!
  • Options
    2002camry2002camry Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2002XLE. No, it doesn't come with a visor extension. Yes, I do have pockets in the back of the front seats. My seats are leather so I don't know if none leather seats are fitted with the pockets. I will check the trunk open indicator tomorrow. If you don't mind me saying, you should focus your buying decision on the how well you like the ride. I also had to decide between a 2002 Accord and a 2002 Camry. I chose the Camry. If you would like a detailed answer why I chose the Camry I will post it if someone asks. But I don't want to bore anyone.
  • Options
    I was focussed on the ride and the speed of the remarkable 4 cylinder. It's only after I've driven the car a bit that I have started to notice the little things missing...that is why I wondered if they were now perhaps upgrades found only on the XLE. It's a GREAT car so far...though it has too many rattles! By the way I miss the curb side lighting too!
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I just hit 100,000 miles on my 99 LE the other day. Now,100k is not quite what it used to be,but this is the first new car I've put that many miles on. No major problems,still handles and rides great.Just put on a new set of tires,BF Goodrich Control T/A. Will probably keep the car for another year then 'sell it' to my son for a great price,especially since the dealers will only try to rip you off on a trade.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure. In previous years, the seats were identical except for the leather. Since I moved from sales to finance, I just haven't had a chance to look closely at the two.

I would point out that just because the seats are uncomfortable to some, they are not uncomfortable for all. If you have had good experiences with them in rentals, I'll bet it is not a fluke.
  • Options
    rkaderkade Member Posts: 2
    After reading all of your comments, I have finally bought and driven for 2000Km a 2002 XLE4. It is a much better car than my 1979 LE4 and an excellent companion to my 2001 Rav4.

First a comment on the V6 vs 4 debate. The 4 has more than enough power for real world city driving with the congestion an traffic of most city and country roads. The only point when a V6 could be useful is accelerating beyond 80mph and that is often legal!!

As for the seat issue, we have cloth seats and the XLE has a power drivers seat. Tee seats are firm and the power seat difinetly is an advantage to find a comfortable position. Ergonomically , firm seats are better than too soft...so far no real complaints.

Fit and finish of this Japanese built version is remarkable and there have been zero defects. There also been no odors.

The ride is extremely quite and very smooth on all road surfaces.

The stereo and CD work very well with good sound quality.

I find the function of the sun roof to be awkward and it took us a while to figure out how to close it properly. The power remote locks work much better than the 1997 version.

I dont particularly like the low beam headlights as the light casts a sharp edged zone that when the car moves it jumps around and is distracting. Much more so than a more diffused light cast.

I would like some feedback from those that may have pushed an XLE to the suspension/handling limits. What should I expect is aggressive handling situations compared to say the SE version or dare I say a BMW320?

Overall a great road car at a reasonable price compared to a Volvo 60 or an Acura 3.2TL. I am glad I got the XLE ... its much better value than the LE
  • Options
    Cliffy, or anyone else. If you order a 2003 Camry, can you specify a Japanese built car? I know 1994 is history, but our XLE of that year built in Japan still has fewer rattles and fit/finish issues than our '97XLE or '00 Solara. Maybe that's not true today, but if I could I would order a J built car.

Let me know if you can request this from the dealer.

Thanks.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Getting a Japanese built Camry is possible but you're going to have to look hard for a dealer to fulfill this request. At some times of the year, it will be impossible.

The way the allocation system works is like this: Each region orders a certain number of cars from Toyota. The ones coming from Japan are generally all of one or two different models. For instance, on a given month, we may get 200 XLE6, 600 XLE4, 500 LE4 200 LE6 and 100 SE6. Of those, all will be US built save for 100 each of the LE6 and XLE6. If that happens to be the month you want an XLE4 built in Japan, it will not happen because none are coming.

Now, if you select a version that happens to match what is coming from Japan, you must hope that your dealership has one coming directly to them in the color you want. Yes, they can perform a "locate" but it isn't very easy. When we run a report to see how many XLE6s are in the region, we don't get VINs until we do an individual inquiry on a particular car. The dealer's inventory manager will hate the manager who asked him to do this search. It is VERY time consuming.

Bottom line is that it can be done, but it isn't easy. If the origin of manufacturer is that important to you, finding a dealership to do it will be more important than the absolute lowest price.
  • Options
    Good description of the Japanese issue. I'm looking for an '03 XLEV6. While I'd take a Japanese built over a Georgetown built, it isn't absolutely necessary.

Other than the fog lamps and the standard 6 disc changer in the XLE, are you aware of any other changes from the '02 XLE?

As far as the seat issue: I've read all the complaints, but I've never experienced in problems. I will say that the seats in the '03 Avalon seem to be a grade above the XLE. We test drove both the '03 Avalon and the '02 XLE. I will admit the Avalon is smooth, smooth and very quiet. But the family consensus is that we just aren't quite ready for the look of the Avalon. Maybe next time. But we can save $3000 and still have a car that is suitable for all.

Thanks again for the J information.