Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• goldminegoldmine Member Posts: 1
    Does this have anything to do with the antilock system?
    Thank You
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I have a potential explanation because I've seen this happen.

Sometimes a technician, especially those not familiar with the nuances of Chrysler automatics, may start the engine up and place it in to a neutral or a gear before having enough ATF in the system. A sensor detects low, out-of-range fluid pressure. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) reads this and shuts the transmission down . You don't know it at the time because the vehicle is still immobile and being maintenanced, but the transmission is technically in "limp in" mode.

I'll bet in this instance if the vehicle's battery had been disconnected for a minute or two it would have gone in to the Learn Mode all by itself. After about 40 starts and stops the TCM would have re-written a new shift program on its own.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • danjackdanjack Member Posts: 2
    Liljoe2: I have a 96 Grand Caravan that hesitates intermittenly cruising at 55mph or better on a level surface. I have taken the car to four shops, including the Dodge dealer and nothing has been revealed on diagnostic tests but was told the transmission was the problem. After a $1200 rebuild it still misses. Then I was told it was the computer. After replacing the module at a cost of $250. I was told it was in the wires so new wires, a distributor cap and plugs still have't stop my problem. I've depleted all my sources so I located this website, but it appears you have received No replys so all I guess we can hope for is for someone out there to venture some kind of guess as to what our problem may be. PLS HELP!
  • danjackdanjack Member Posts: 2
    Marssoin: I have the same problem and have had my transmission rebuilt, new plugs ,wires , dist. cap , computer replaced and some other things for a cost of $1600 and still it misses at 55mph and up on level road. I'm on this website hoping someone can help me. Let me know if you find an answer. Txamil
  • biff6biff6 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, we're in New Jersey and own a 2000 Dodge Caravan SE, it has 52,000 miles...in the past few months we've noticed a recurring problem...a strange sort of "creaking" feeling with some shaky rumblings, especially when coming to a stop, going over a speed bump, driving thru a dip in the road, etc. Wish I could be more specific! It's coming from the underside of the car, it feels like it's right under the drivers seat!

There doesn't appar to be any leaks of fluid...although the steering column "sings" quite a bit...

Our main concern is we have brought it to the dealer who found nothing wrong, and two mechanics who thought we were nuts. Before we start spending money on a potential big problem, we're curious if anyone can shed any light what may be wrong. No one seems to be able to pinpoint the trouble.

We're debating getting it fixed or just getting something new...there seems to be some good deals lately. Any advice????????????

thanks in advance, Biff
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    ... for her combined 90K and 100K service (99,500 exactly on the clock as I pulled into the dealer's lot).

In addition to the standard stuff (sans oil change, I do my own with Mobil 1), I asked them to perform the Fuel Rail recall (manditory recall), the Clockspring recall (the horning device doesn't horn too well), and the Vacuum Battery Tray (or some such name) TSB (the cruise control couldn't maintain speed up long grades). They just called and said that the Battery Tray would cost me ~$120 as it was not covered by a recall, and if so, that will raise my lifetime expense total (for non-scheduled maintenance) for the 1998 GC Sport 3.8 to a whopping $205. Not bad for 100,000 miles. ;-)

Gas prices being what they are combined with the fact that I've driven 12,000 miles in the last 18 weeks have caused me to cast a lustful eye to something more fuel efficient (I average about 22 mpg during my daily commute, 90% of which is on CC set @ 72), currently I'm liking the new A3 very much. The flip side of course is that this GC has been super reliable and has been long since paid off, and regardless of how many MPGs a new ride can deliver, it would take years at extremely high gas prices to justify the price difference between my "free" GC and any new car.

Assuming that she keeps running as problem free as she has been so far, it looks like it might could well be a long time before I part with her. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mstarr13mstarr13 Member Posts: 15
    I recently purchased a 05 Grand Caravan (11k miles) less than 24 hours after I purchased it, it started doing the old run-on thing that the old cars with carbourators used ot do. After a day of doing this the relay box started to "tick" when the vehicle was shut off and everytime it ticked, I could hear something firing on the the engine (assumed it was the fuel injectors). It is still under warranty and of course I got the extended as well out to 70k however, I am curious if anyone else has ever had or heard of this type of issuse with the Grand Caravan or any modern vehicle. The Service manager seemed VERY confused by this issue.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    At least your dealer didn't say you needed an expesive repair. Have your sway bar bushings ever been replaced? They wear out between 30-50 K, are only about $12 a pair and very easy to install. If you have had 3 mechanics who didn't find (or invent) a problem, it can't be that serious. Take one of them for a ride and duplicate the problem.
  • biff6biff6 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks 97xpresso, I'm going to point that out, I'm going to bring it to a new dealer tonight so they can look at it.
  • jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    hello all,
    i have just taken my 2003 voyager abroad and wonder if there is not invasive way of changing radio frequency dial mode on the FM from 0.2MHz a step, to 0.1MHz. Simply can not tune to those European radio stations that broadcact on even frequencies (i.e. 101.4).
    will appreciate your help.
    jarek
  • dan02dan02 Member Posts: 1
    Hello world, can you help me with this problem? I have a 02 Voyager and basically all of my dash board lights have gone out, the white lights behind the speedo are fine, but the following are now out- Red speedo needles, all minor panel lights like the electric windows, the cruise control button lights on the steering wheel and all of the the centre console illuminations are out, as are the lights on the radio buttons. Obviously these normally come on when you turn the head lights on. To make it clear when driving in the dark everything on the dash is black and you cannot see the location of any buttons. Everything else functions normally.
    In case it has any relevance or is just coincidence a couple of times recently the airbag light has remained on after startup, which went out straight away with re start of the engine. The battery has sounded weak lately and failed to start yesterday requiring a jump start, but I must admit this is only after being left for few days in wet damp weather without being driven. And after all this the lights are now out, but I cannot confirm when this problem started or if it is connected to any of the above problems. Many thanks
  • pamompamom Member Posts: 1
    Within the past two weeks the power seats in our 97' T/C have been going wacky. We have dual programmable driver seat. When you open the door using the keyless entry, the seat positions and side mirrors change to random positions. And occassionally the programmed seat position button will not work to return the seat position back to normal. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
    To follow up on this, this is day 2 for them havin git in the shop. The service guys (who has been great) has been on the phone with folks from Chrysler who are absolutely stumped on this. They are gradually replavcing electronic mudule after module, apparently the Auto-Stop relay which should not have power when the vehicle is off, is getting power (along with who know how many other relays) when the van is turned off. Could be a bare wire, could be a bad bus on the main board inside the vans "brain". I guess I am comforted that so far nobody has seen this before. Hopefully, that means there is not a design flaw, and once the track it down and fix it, I should never have this issue again. Please let me know if anyone else has seen this. I am hoping that I am the only one.
    Finally got the van back. They ended up having to go back 1 level above the main computer board. They replace some type of power dist module and the issue went away. Apparently, the fuel pump was also getting power when the vehicle was off. Just so any of you know, should your vehicle start doing the run-on (it will be intermittent at first) get it in right away and give them the link to this post. If they need more detail have them contact McKenney Dodge in Gastonia, NC (Assisatant Srvc mgr Robert Towe) for how to fix it before it degrades to the point that the relays, injectors, and fuel pump are always powered when the vehicle is off. Like I said, it looks like this is a rare issue so hopefully I am posting this for nothing. However, should anyone else get this, hopefully you can save a day in the shop.
  • kjo1kjo1 Member Posts: 1
    Talked to dealer. said that resister burns up because one of the motor windings is broken. To fix need to all so replace motor. The dealer knew all about it so it must happen often. I'm hoping that Dodge will put a recall on this.
  • angelo567angelo567 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I've had a similar problem. The dealer replace the computer module, but after 6 month the problem has started again. Currently trying to get the dealer to fix it. but they want to gouge me again. My view is they this should be under the warranty of the last repair.

Also will be going to an auto electrician for a second opinion.

I'd like to know a little more about how you are getting on with the problem.

Angelo
  • martha4martha4 Member Posts: 2
    Our minivan (2001- 67K miles)is hesitating especially on acceleration. When we called the service dept they said many people have had this problem and to correct it they replaced the "spark plugs and wires". My husband asked if we could have the fuel filter first replaced and they told him that it was not servicable and the fuel pump would also have to be replaced at around $300. Has anyone had a similar problem. I know nothing about cars. Thank you for any advice or clarification.
  • nikita2nikita2 Member Posts: 4
    Q. I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter engine. Automatic transmission with about 122,000 miles
    own it for nearly 5 yrs. With an alarm, over the past month, this problem has happened six times. I go to start
    the car, and when I turn the key, to the run position, the instrument panel DOES have power, the temperature gauge, fuel gauge, speedometer, tachometer, odometer and shift letters are working. However,the car will not start.

Everything else has power, the radio, blower, mirrors, directional's, lights, ABS light, Check Engine Light, etc. When it does this, the car will not start. It will NOT crank . After a couple of times of doing this, it won't even attempt to start anymore, After waiting a while, one time it was five minutes another it was over ½-hour, I put the key back in, turn it, and everything is working again and the car starts perfectly. The car will not crank or start up now.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the internet trying to research this, and have seen that there are a lot of others that have had this problem, but no one posts what the fix is. I have read try replacing the ignition switch, starter contacts, or the neutral safety switch.

The instrument panel is getting power, But will not crank or start. Any advice you could give me would be

GREATLY appreciated.

:confuse:
  • leon5leon5 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the exact same problem and been searching for some answers and I am wondering if you got any replies posted I would like to get my van going again if thats possible.
  • martha4martha4 Member Posts: 2
    Our minivan (2001- 67K miles)is hesitating especially on acceleration. When we called the service dept they said many people have had this problem and to correct it they replaced the "spark plugs and wires". My husband asked if we could have the fuel filter first replaced and they told him that it was not serviceable and the fuel pump would also have to be replaced at around $300. Has anyone had a similar problem. I know nothing about cars. Thank you for any advice or clarification.
  • harryliuusaharryliuusa Member Posts: 22
    My 1999 T&C has a similar problem. It is at 105k miles.

I was told to add 6oz of Auto-RX and drive for 1000 miles (it is at 400 miles now) and then I plan to go to dealer to flush/exchange the transmission oil. Hope this will solve my problem probably yours.

Try reading at this site www.auto-rx.com
    At least my trial on engine works, it cleans the engine and restore a lot of power back.
  • philski3philski3 Member Posts: 3
    I was driving along and smelled some bad stuff. Opened hood and my ac compressor on my 97 plymouth g voyager was smoking and black oil was all over. It finally seized and the serpentine belt broke. A shop replaced the compressor with a used one but said he didnt recharge it because he doesnt do it. Can I just recharge it myself? Has this happened to anyone else?
  • mikeyparris63mikeyparris63 Member Posts: 2
  • mikeyparris63mikeyparris63 Member Posts: 2
    Oops

I have a 93 voyager that has a driveability issue. Whenever i accelerate the van wants to shake sometimes violently, but when i let off the gas it smooths out. At slow speeds it almost feels like i have a tire that is loose or bent. any ideas please let me know

Thanks
  • krubin1krubin1 Member Posts: 2
    I too have just run into this exact issue. Any luck tracking down the cause?
  • krubin1krubin1 Member Posts: 2
    Try changing the position (tilt) of the steering wheel and retry.
  • iyeriyer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 plymouth voyager 3.3 liter v6 van.

It has been showing "service engine soon" when I start and drive the van.

I checked the earlier forum info and someone mentioned to start the key and not start the engine and it should give a code, but no code showed.

Help.
  • iyeriyer Member Posts: 2
    Also, on my 1998 voyager v6 3.3 liter van, when i drive i hear a bothering click-click noise coming from the tire side.

in one of the msgs it was said it has something to do with
    wheel bearing or something.

can you provide some info.
  • jklynamjklynam Member Posts: 1
    3LV6, runs fine as long as tank is kept topped off. If falls below 2/3 of a tank, stalls and chokes off and won't restart. If you let it sit for an hour or so, it will run long enough to get you to a nearby gas station (within 2 miles) so that you can top off, which seems to relieve the problem. Have replaced the spark plugs/wires, ignition coil, and the throttle position sensor, per the computer diagnostics. Also, not sure if related or not, but low fuel light blinks off and on occasionally, not related to level of fuel in tank (could be completely full). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • dwyattdwyatt Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Caravan Sport. This van came out of Canada and has the daytime driving lights. The left driving light is on and the right driving light is off. When I turn the headlamps on the right low beam comes on and the left low beam goes off. When I switch the high beams on the right goes off and the left comes on. I have checked the connections on power dist. module,& lamps. I can unplug and reconnect the front control module with the lights on and the lights will operate properly for a little while then the problems return. Any suggestions?
  • jill7jill7 Member Posts: 1
    Help - I have a '01 town & country minivan with 76,000 miles on it and the transmission went out on us while traveling this weekend. I understand this is a habitual problem with these vans. Do we have any way to fight the price of a $3300 new transmission with the dealer or are we just stuck?

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A "habitual problem?" Hmmm, to the best of my knowledge, the most common mode of habitual failure for these transmissions is when the transmission fluid was replaced with non-Mopar fluid from a non-Mopar service center. Many service centers claim that their fluids are "compatible", however, the frequency with which these transmissions with the tainted fluid fail suggests otherwise.

Then again, I suppose the question should be asked, "How did your transmission fail?" Apparently there are several different things that can go wrong (and are “habitually” missed by service personel) that don't require a transmission rebuild. You might want to seek a second opinion.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gindogindo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. Recently the front blower started malfunctioning. It does not shut off. And even blows on high when I turn the power off to the system. Does anyone have any idea on what this could be? thank you for any help you could lend.
  • def_kevdef_kev Member Posts: 1
    My brakes lost pressure the other day so I replaced the master cylinder and bled both the cylinder, lines and wheels and still no pressure? just to make sure we went and bought yet another cylinder to see if that was the issue and it wasn't, same results.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that they are power brakes, with regular brake systems I've never experienced this?

can anybody help out on this?
  • lisa22lisa22 Member Posts: 1
    Help! Driving my 96 caravan the other day and heard a spinning noise--similar to those kids toys you "wind up" on the floor--then alot of clunking noise coming from the rear end. It stopped the same day. The brake light has been coming on and off and they were due to be replaced, so we did--but when my husband, a mechanic, took the wheel off, he couldn't find any damage or anything loose. I'm a little worried about the transmission...I can hear no 3-4 upshift but can achieve the speeds! Someone alse suggested maybe a belt shift in the tire--they also said that I would have a wobbly ride after a belt shift, to which I replied, "You've never driven a Dodge, huh?" It's always been a bit of a bumpy ride!! Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Another question is what kind of maintenance have you completed on this van's transmission? Where was the maintenance done? If it has all been done by the dealer or at least using the correct fluids at the correct intervals, then the dealer might assist with a replacement. If not, the chances are minimal you'll get any help. Good luck!
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Could be your fuel pump if it's positioned high in the fuel tank. I had a Pontiac minivan that would act up intermittently that way when the gas level got low. The pump was overheating when not fully submerged in gas which kept it cool.
  • philski3philski3 Member Posts: 3
    That's the anti-lock brakes doing their job Pefectly normal
  • grif6grif6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager and it stalls going down the road sometimes. When it stalls, sometimes it will start right up and sometimes it wont. When it wont start, you can turn the key off, turn back on, but it doesnt recognize the last two positions. The oil lite,check engine lite, etc. wont come on and the fuel pump wont run. After a couple of times it will turn over and run.Sometimes it wont start first thing in the morning. Sometimes it will go for days and not act up at all. Ive already replaced the ignition switch. Help.
  • chryslerfan2chryslerfan2 Member Posts: 5
    Hope I can get some help with this. Have 155,775 on original 303 v-6 & 55,775 on tranny. Keep car in top shape--except for peeling paint but that's another matter!

Since last week, car, after 3-5 miles of driving, hesitates, bucks, shudders on acceleration, with engine sounding like its weezing

Had complete tune-up within last 2000 mi & had CAT, MAP sensor & TSA(?) sensor replaced to combat problem but to no avail.

Any ideas?

BTW, engine is quiet & still gets great mileage
  • jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    Have you had your fuel pressure checked? Sounds like either a pump failure or filter problem to me.
  • dawg81dawg81 Member Posts: 4
    Gindo:

I have a 2001 T&C LXI; same thing is happening with it as with your Dodge GC. I saw something about a module. I also read something in Popular Mechanics about a Doge p/u truck with the same problem. A burned out module under the dash on the passenger side.

That is all I know at this time as well. If I hear, I'll let you know. I hope someone has a solution!

dawg81
    Thanks for the imput!!

ORIGINAL FUEL PUMP lasted 13 yrs, 1 mo. 2nd PUMP lasted 16 mos. 3rd PUMP lasted 6 wks. Now 4 wks into 4th PUMP.

TODAY, went back to my local GOODYEAR Service Center which has done majority of recent repairs including FUEL PUMP, CAT, SENSORS, etc. They put in NEW IAC MOTOR.

Car was fine after repair for most of day NOW SAME DAMN PROBLEM again but Hesitation, Back-fire, etc is much less than before.

Any other ideas??

This is getting frustrating with a vehicle that until now, 14 yrs, 8 mos, has been extremely realiable
    Some further info

Back to GOODYEAR today-- discovered that coil not putting out proper voltage & 2 cylinders misfiring.

After replacing coil & MAP Sensor again still same problem

CONCLUSION-- bad computer. Outside badly corroded & electrical harness connection not in great shape either

Seems computer is mounted on firewall in such a position as to get constantly soaked in rain or snow :cry: :mad:

What the hell were the design engineers thinking on this one? :mad:

At least the computer is supposed to be less costly than the fuel pump :sick:
  • cmonroecmonroe Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 Dodge Van from Canada has had 2 rotted brake lines in the last 5 weeks. no crash, but scary brake failure. Now the mechanic tells me that 13 more lines are at risk. time for a honda.

cm
  • tisnarttisnart Member Posts: 5
    2001 T&C Limited/80,00kms-I occasionally have the same problem with my ignition key. So far I have been able to just remove the key and insert it with the opposite side of the key. This has not happened for a few months now.
    2001 T&C LImited-You are exactly right. Without that longer drain tube installed the condensate is forced back against the firewall where it penitrates the drain opening around the tube and leaks inside on the passenger carpet area. Mine did the same thing until DC techs put the extension tube on the factory drain tube. There is a TSB regaurding this problem and your DC techs should be consulting these factory buletins before trying to make any repairs. I am certain that I won't have the wet carpet issue again.
    2001 T&C LIMITED 80,000kms -I too have had problems with the driver's heated seat since I took ownership at 21,000kms. Under warranty, they replaced the seat cushion heater grid a few times and when I insisted they repair this problem properly, they finally had to order and replace the whole seat back portion of the seat which retailed at $1700 Canadian. Further investigation on my part revieled that this was a common factory problem and the seat back heater grid is sewn in the assembly and can't be replaced separatly. The cost of the seat back is so high because,my van is equipped with side air bags which are part of the seat back assembly.
  • nikita2nikita2 Member Posts: 4
    After having the car in the shop three times, this is the progress report:
    1. Repair shop claim on my receipt that they found the short by doing the following.
    2. Repair shop install a new ignition switch.
    3. Repair shop install a new safety switch.
    4. Repair shop install a new starter.

After having the car for 20 minutes, Once again the car won't start, so the vehicle is tow, this time:
    5. Repair shop removed my car alarm b/c they claim that was the problem.

I get the car back Friday night park in my garage the next morning, guess what...Saturday morning the car is back on tow to the shop!

6. Since Saturday the car has been back in the shop.

If anyone had this expirince with this vehicle, please let me know. :mad:
    Take a look at the problems I'm having with my '91 Voyager!

Your problem COULD BE a faulty AUTO-SHUT OFF RELAY

Had that problem during the summer ( car wouldn't start-- initially CHRYSLER dealer thought fuel pump was bad) BUT I had dashboard lights

Your Voyager has tons more electronics than my '91 version