Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joymarjoymar Member Posts: 9
    i think you've raised my curiousity level with the 2.3! i think i can wait till the end of march for this. good luck to us then ... and thanks for any other advanced info on this.
  • dapperonedapperone Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE LESS THAN 2500 MILES ON THE RIB ES-6CYL. THE FIRST ALL HIGHWAY TRIP SHOWED 22 mpg. MIXED DRIVING( A THIRD WAS why)SHOWED ABOUT 18. IN AND AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD SHOWED 14. THE 14 UPSET ME. THIS IS LOWER THAN THE LOWEST RANGE ON THE PA RATING OF 18 TO 24 .. am looking for other peoples experiences. I don't think anything can be done by the dealer about the mileage. There are no carburetors to adjust, everything is run by computer sensors . What it is, is what it is!!
  • atekchiatekchi Member Posts: 12
    Glad the van will do the job for you. I at one time wanted one of those..back when I couldn't by anything let alone a new one. Did you get a cool color? That's one thing about the Escape ..the colors, all but white, yellow and Parchment, are so dark. But you must realise I'm not into black vehicles like my son and sisters. I don't like washing and dusting my 'cars' all the time. Living in the country that's all I'd do.
  • omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    i don't think the 14 mpg is out of the ordinary
    i too got ~ 22 mpg on the 1st tank, almost all
    hwy. then i was able to squeeze 24.8 mpg in a driving snow storm, probably cause i never went past 60 mph. after a couple thousand miles i started zooming around town alot.......15 mpg,
    so this last tank i took it easy again and its hovering around 20 mpg for mixed driving. this car gives you much better economy if you are easy on the throttle, my f350 gets 12 mpg if i'm easy and 10 mpg if i'm not. i think they arrived at the low end 18 mpg by smooth acceleration and avoiding any drag racing.
  • drhb2drhb2 Member Posts: 3
    As in the case of another post, I noticed that my front license plate was screwed directly into the front bumper. It looks fine (the plate obviously hides the holes), but I am wondering if all Tributes which have front license plates use this method to attach their plates. These is NO front license bracket listed for Tribute accessories when ordering the car, yet the Escape does indeed have such a bracket listed as an option when that car from the factory. Anyone know what gives??
  • kfwilsonkfwilson Member Posts: 3
    Same problem, discovered missing cruise when I arrived home on Nov4. Waited 4 wks for response. I happened to be at dealer (had back seat replaced, tear in leather; they blamed nearsighted cow and barb wire; no lie) when Mazda rep was there. Told me retrofit of cruise was impossible. They offered extended warranty, etc... I found out what
    after market installation of cruise cost (500+) and requested that
    plus pain & suffering, payable to me. Check is being over-nighted
    from Mazda North America as we speak.
  • yeoman18yeoman18 Member Posts: 2
    On January 9th I placed an order for a Tribute LX V6 4WD. The dealer tells me that it is scheduled for production for early Feb. Does anyone have any idea how long the production of the vehicle should take. From the time the vechile is complete, how long does it actually take to be delivered to the dealership (I am in CT). I know dealers tend to blow smoke when estimating delivery dates, so I figured I would ask for your experiences taking delivery from a custom order. Any comments, suggested are welcome. Thanks.
  • bogie7bogie7 Member Posts: 2
    I just heard from the Mazda regional mgr today. He told me he is recommending to the Srv Mgr that I get a new vehicle with everything I paid for (including cruise control.) I also logged a call with NA Customer Service and they are aware of what the the regional mgr told me and said they would follow up to see that this is resolved quickly. I'll let you know.
  • ctay396ctay396 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a Metallic Blue with ABS minus package of premium audio and sunroof. A gripe I had in the beginning was that they wouldn't give the premium audio without the sunroof, but in the brochure, it is deceptive about the options. I ordered it in early September, and the salesman said it was showing January. Well, this is the last day of the month--doubt it will come in. I have cancelled it. It's not a good time for me anyway, and I think I will just wait till 2002. Hopefully, I'll be in better shape to get one and they will have improvements (the 2.3 liter engine as Vince mentioned) and for wishful thinking a different placement of the gearshift, and of course, the problems worked out. It would all be nice.
  • mpsfmpsf Member Posts: 3
    I was the first person to pick-up an Escape from the dealer in Southeastern PA in the middle of September 2000. We have over 6400 miles on the vehicle and last week the car stalled while we were driving it at about 35 miles per hour. We still had electrical power (all the lights on the dash board came on), but the engine cut out leaving us without power to drive, brake or turn the steering wheel. The dealer has checked the car and can not find any problems. Obviously something went wrong, but they are not being very helpful. Has anyone else had this problem?

Other than this new problem (and the recalls) we love the Escape. It handles great in the snow and it is fun to drive.
  • seattleescapeseattleescape Member Posts: 2
    I have an XLT 4x4. Haven't had your problem, but while trying to program some extra keys I first tried starting the truck with the unprogrammed keys. The electronics worked, but the engine wouldn't even turn. Perhaps you somehow erased the code in your key. I suggest to try using your other original spare and see if the truck will start.
  • mpsfmpsf Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. I forgot to add in my comments that after the car stalled, while we were driving, it started right back up with a turn of the key. It has been fine for the past week since this problem happened, but I am concerned that the car could cut out while I am going 65 mph down a highway.
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    Many of us have bought Escape or Tribute inexpensively and no haggle easily through the manufacturers purchasing plans obtained by joining eaa.org (adequat) post 394 on Yahoo Ford escape club says "The program is currently only available until March unless they renew it for another year." Consider this FAIR WARNING to get your PIN in February while you still can! You can still exercise it later in the year but only if you already have it! Ford usually makes these plans easily available for vehicles that are Not in such short supply as Escape and Tribute. Now that supply is getting very tight for Spring with many pending orders, This Loophole Is Closing. Expect dealer prices to rise significantly with demand and advertizing all this spring through summer and into fall. Expect Ford to focus on supporting high profit retail sales to encourage it's "Blue Oval Dealers Certification" program. Fair Warning!
  • prov1632prov1632 Member Posts: 10
    We had a 94 Econoline van that would cut out as you drove down the road. It was very disconcerting.... Problem was a relay or sending unit (computer part) that picked up an incorrect signal that something was wrong in the emissions system and shut the engine down. This happened to us after the alternator blew out (also while driving down the highway), and I always assumed that when the alternator went it surged current thru the electrical system and causing this problem. Anyway, after having the computer unit replaced twice, I got to where I carried one with me in case it would happen on a weekend or something, and my mechanic showed me how to pull out the old one/replace.

I would suggest you find a good mechanic that is willing to trace thru the electrical system and find the problem.

Good luck
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    prices of the Escape/Tribute for spring/summer time. I believe prices will actually fall. Lots of competition on the horizon for the Escape/Tribute. New Liberty, VUE, RAV4, Highlander to name a few. Along with production lines churning them out like no tomorrow. Ford is known for meeting demand and then exceeding demand, causing prices to fall. The whole car industry is taking a beating right now due to economic uncertainty and consumer confidence at an all time low. Read the business section lately? Layoffs galore! every industry.. Fed just cut rates again .5%, you won't begin to see the benefits of this until at least summer.
  • dude17dude17 Member Posts: 8
    If you have a lot of weight on the key chain (keyfob, belt clip, remote, extra keys etc..)
    The Pendulum effect created by a steep hill, sudden stop or bumping the keys will rock the ignition key to the off position. A mechanic will usually not notice this because only the ignition key is left with their vehicle for testing.
  • jomannjomann Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my Escape XLT 4WD ( V6, auto, all options except side air bags and step) on November 1 and finally received it on January 26. After reading the town hall messages for almost 3 months, I was real worried about what I purchased. Recalls, fuel smells, bad mileage, bad transmission, etc. So far, after 500 miles, I could not be more pleased. The car has a very solid ride, is extremely quick, stops on a dime, has a great stereo in it, and is a blast to drive. For the money, this car is a great value too. Just thought I would provide some positive comments to offset the majority of negative ones that dominate the town hall. I also got a decent deal, $100 over invoice plus processing fee, taxes, tags and destination fee. I had to fax this offer to 10 dealers in my state and only two were willing to accept it. The others wanted very close to MSRP.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    are you kidding about the weight on the keychain causing engine cut-off?!
  • dude17dude17 Member Posts: 8
    Some people carry a lot of weight on their key chains and in rare instances that will cause most steering wheel mounted ignition switches to turn off under the circumstances I mentioned.
    I only offered this as a possible cause that may be overlooked.
  • budman7budman7 Member Posts: 6
    If I push up and down on the driver's seat it sounds like a "spring" is making a noise, The dealer ordered a new track installed it but noise still occurs. Now the dealer is telling me ALL cloth interiors make this noise but could not duplicate on the leather interiors. Could all TRIBUTE owners check there seats and advise. Car going back to dealer 2/5/01. This noise does not occur on the passenger seat
  • drhb1drhb1 Member Posts: 14
    I have an es with leather, and do not have any noise from the seats. Hope this helps...
  • menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    Why is it that Mazda advertises maximum cargo space for the Tribute as 70+ cubic feet. While Ford advertises Escape as only 66 cubic feet. I thought that they both had the same size interiors. Then I read Edmunds say that with rear seats in use, the Tribute has 17 cubic feet. I thought the Tribute had 33 cubic feet with rear seats in use. What's up with these discrepancies? My question is, does the Tribute indeed have more cargo space than the Escape? Cargo space is a priority for me (but don't want to get a big ute), so I would like to know which would offer more space. Thanks for any info.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    The Consumer Reports guys scored the Tribute with slightly more cargo room, mostly because the seatbacks (on their LX with cloth upholstery) were less bulky than the Escape's (XLT with leather). Trivial difference.
  • vsl888vsl888 Member Posts: 4
    On 1/26/01, my Tribute AS 4WD with 3681 miles stalled while moving 30-35 mph. Four warning lights lit. Came to stop sign. Could not accelerate at that point and steering locked. Turned engine off and immediately re started. No other problems until . . .

2/2/01 engine warning light lit during commute and remained so. Carefully drove directly to Mazda. Mechanic says sensor malfunction (I think maybe so, maybe not). No part available. Driving rental car provided. Only my remote is attached to key ring. Drove the one week with great trepidation of stalling during busy commute with high speeds.

Will keep you posted. This is my first on-recall problem.
  • jmlbradsjmlbrads Member Posts: 5
    I keep getting a black oily film on my front wheels. I am told this is brake powder. Is it normal? Does it last forever? I have a V6 4x4,xlt escape. I really like it I have had it for about 4 weeks. What can someone tell me about this black stuff it only shows on my front wheels and I have to clean the wheel covers and the white lettering on my tires.
  • sundancersundancer Member Posts: 2
    I recently had cut out problem on my car. It would cut out at high speeds and low speeds ,I wouldn't loose electrical just stopped running. After dealership told me there was nothing wrong because it wasn't happening often enough, I went to my local mechanic. Who scratched his head and made a few stabs at it .3 weeks to a month of stalling every couple of days in all sorts of scary situations (it would always start right back up in less than a minute). I went back to my dealer and made as big a stink as I could manage and after two days they told me the problem had been the DIS. module of the computer. They also needed to replace my alternator, but don't know if that caused the problem or if they shorted it out installing the module. all that month I heard opinions from alot of people and many of them told of the same problem. and the same problem getting it fixed. almost always computer was at fault. Computers are expensive and hard to get and once they are put in your car the dealer cant get his money back if that wasn't the problem ,so they may try many other things first. good luck.
  • nmbbnmbb Member Posts: 1
    I read a message posted by 1jimv1 about a program through eea.org called the X plan and S plan. Could someone give me more information about the program. I am looking to purchase a Ford Escape very soon. Many thanks - KC
    (nmbb) See Ford Escape II Posts #172 and #210
  • newdriver2newdriver2 Member Posts: 68
    I got my tax return yesterday and ready to order my Tribute or Escape. The only problems for me are which vechicle handle snow better? which one has the comfortable seat? which one has a better suspension?
  • fullofcrapfullofcrap Member Posts: 1
    The black gunk on your front wheels is most likely brake powder. The front wheels accumulate more gunk because the front brakes are responsible for about 75% of your braking, thus they wear more.
  • lovemyescapelovemyescape Member Posts: 7
    My XLT 4x4 has the excessive brake dust too (often called "ring around the collar"). Anyhow, at 2500 miles it has begun to die down. A person at the Yahoo club site said his diminished around 1500 miles or so.
    The after market makes brake dust shields for this kind of problem. Don't know how these affect performance (brakes getting airflow, etc.). Personally, I was so tired of scrubbing my white letters that I went to a Firestone dealer and had my tires turned around so no white letters showed.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Keep your wheels clean and your rotors warped.
  • lovemyescapelovemyescape Member Posts: 7
    Isn't there a recall going on in California about Ford placing some kind of iginition relay in Tempo's and Taurus's? It was located in the engine compartment and was prone to heat overload? Some judge ordered that Ford replace or relocate the module on something like 2.3 MILLION cars. I think Ford is saying that the judge doesn't have authority to order that. Only the NHTSA does. I believe Ford has stated they're using a new device in a different location and their new vehicles don't have this problem. I have an Escape XLT 4x4.
    In the earlier EEC-IV vehicles the ignition module was located on the side of the distributor. The Escape uses a totally different part and will not be affected. No Fords in the last few years have used that system.
  • kissfan1kissfan1 Member Posts: 283
    Looked at the ESCAPE...too many recalls.

Bought the trouble free.......ugly...AZTEK!!

Luv it...GREAT vehicle
  • lulucatlulucat Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Tribute since November. Great vehicle, except for a problem with the fuel guage, which the dealer seems unable to identify or fix. After filling up, the fuel guage reads Full immediately upon restarting the engine, but the guage begins to drop right away--within 3 miles it has dropped to 7/8 tank, and within 10 miles or so has dropped to 3/4 tank, where it seems to stay for some time, then seems to drop at a "normal" rate as the tank empties. The vehicle is not losing fuel, and subsequent fillups have mileage at about 20 to 22 mpg, mixed hiway/intown. The dealer first replaced the fuel guage sender and when that didn't fix the problem, replaced the entire guage assembly--that didn't work either. I've gone back to the dealer again, but I'm getting pretty frustrated. The dealer tells me "......you have to understand these are brand new vehicles and we aren't familiar with them yet." How long have they been making fuel guages? Shouldn't technology for their accuracy have been perfected by now? I don't trust this guage to tell me accurately how much fuel I have left, especially if I take a long hiway trip. I didn't see this problem with other Tributes discussed here. Anybody heard about this? Any ideas/suggestions?
  • jmlagascajmlagasca Member Posts: 37
    I've had the same problem with my ES, I'm bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow (Tuesday). Mine usually will drop to the 3/4 tank level by 36 miles (it used to be about 45 until lately) but I've heard that other people are getting around 50 - 60 miles when that lineis reached.

Has your gas gauge also corrected itself when it's dropped? Has it ever dropped drastically, once mine went from the 3/4 tank to the 1/2 tank mark within seconds and then corrected itself over the net few miles of driving... All of these problems have happened during city driving.

Whenever I've brought up this problem to the people at the Tribute Yahoo Club, they told me that it was due to the shape of the gas tank (smaller up top, larger in the middle). However, I don't think that the needle should drop to the 3/4 tank line within so few miles.

As far as suggestions, I'm attributing my problem due to the fuel smell (which I'm going to try to get addressed tomorrow as well) and the leaky intake manifold which causes less gas mileage in the city. Are you getting this problem as well?

Bring up the problem to the Yahoo! Tribute Club and see if they can offer you more advice.

Jeff

• k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    Sometimes these problems go back to something as simple as a stuck gas tank "float". In an older car of mine ('74 Dodge Dart 360 Sport), the needle would move up & down as I accelerated or braked! Also the "gas smell" that I had turn out to be an exhaust leak(smells the same). Just food for thought!
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    I don't think there's anything malfunctioning or defective with the gas gauge of anyone's Tribute/Escape. Rather, my perception is that the problem is one of inherent gas tank design. Consider that the spare is stored in the conventional automobile style location rather than hanging off the rear hatch like many other SUVs. This might have cut into the space used for the gas tank a bit and in order to come up with a tank of an acceptable capacity, the tank is of an unusual shape. It appears that the first quarter tank (the very top of the gas tank) may come to a rather dramatic point and thus, only holds around two gallons.

The second quarter only appears to hold around four gallons, for a total of six gallons of the sixteen gallon tank being held in the first half of the tank.

The majority of the gas is held in the lower, second half of the tank (ten gallons).

So, although the gas gauge needle *will* drop dramatically over the course of the first half tank of fuel, once it gets past the halfway point, the rate of descent slows to a much more acceptable rate.

Although it seems bad with the rather dismal gas mileage figures most people seem to be getting, I think it's just something that Tribute/Escape owners will need to get used to.
  • hyperion1hyperion1 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT with a build date of 1/1/01. The vehicle has 500 miles and is currently out of service at the dealer awaiting parts (gasket) to fix the fuel smell problem. So far it has been 10 days and no part. Apparently, they are trying to grab the new and improved gasket from the factory assembly line.

Anyone else undergoing this fiasco? Dealer has been very helpful.....Ford less so.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Go to the Yahoo.com Ford Escape Club...hundreds like you with the same problem and also the Mazda Tribute Club. It seems that Ford has a cure....new type manifold and gaskets, plus a silicone sealant...but, they are not coming out with a recall or TSB, evidently, until they have enough of the "new" to fix the "old". Some dealers even aren't aware of the problem...but beieve me...it is a problem...a major problem.
  • bironbbironb Member Posts: 63
    I have the opportunity of purchasing a Tribute AWD ES-V6, but I am still leery. Of concern to me is the fuel smell problem that so many are reporting. What I don't understand is why some are reporting having the smell and others not. Shouldn't everybody that owns a Tribute/Escape have the same fuel smell problem seeing as the manufactured engines all use the same manifold and gaskets?

Purchasing a Tribute at the moment seems to be a hit or miss affair and I am not much of a gambler.
  • bkdc98bkdc98 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a fully loaded ES 4 weeks ago. After the first week it went in for a battery light and heating problem. As I pulled it into the service bay I couldn't get it out of park. Had them write that up as well. I was told that afternoon that it needed a new alternator and a NEW TRANSMISSION. I was also told by the dealership that they would replace the entire vehicle as soon as one came in (which hasn't happened now for 3 weeks.)

This morning I had the exact same problem (couldn't get it into gear) so back to the shop it goes. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?
    I had the same problem on a car I had. On all new cars there is an interlock to insure you have your foot on the brake when you take the trans out of park. There is an electric solonoid on the column that is triggered by a signal from the brake light switch on the pedal. I would think that they should check the switch or make sure the solonoid is operating. Most manufacturers routinely replace transmissions under warranty rather than pay dealer techs to rebuild or repair them. They have more control over the cost of the repair process and can repair the trans later at a plant that specializes in Trans repairs.
  • slesherslesher Member Posts: 1
    I absolutely love my new Tribute. I have had it since November. However, it has a terrible rattling noise in the tailgate. Dealer attempted to fix this one time, but has returned and gotten worse. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem and if it was repaired to your satisfaction. My dealer says they have had several with this problem.
  • lulucatlulucat Member Posts: 3
    Hi and thanks to everybody who offered thoughts and suggestions about my fuel gauge problem. The gauge does seem to correct itself once it gets a little under 3/4 tank; it stays there for a while and then seems to go down at a "normal" rate, but I don't trust it enough to let it get too low to see if it's accurate at Empty. The lowest I've let it go is 1/4 and it took 11.6 gallons from there to fill. I asked about the float being stuck but the dealer says replacement of the sender would have corrected any problem with that; now they say they have to check the wiring(?) The tank being small at the top and bigger at the bottom seems to make more sense than anything the dealer's told me, since the gauge goes down at the same rate every time I fill it up. While I've had this gauge problem consistently since buying my Tribute, I haven't noticed any fuel smell in or around the vehicle.
  • zsparkszsparks Member Posts: 8
    I currently have 2500 mile on my loaded Escape. I have posted a few posts and been trying to keep up on the message board but quite frankly I quit checking on the board because I have had NO problems at all with mine. I know that no one wants to hear someone typing about how happy they are about their car so I have not had much to type. I can relate thought to the fuel gauge issue. Although mine does not drop quite as fast as some are saying theirs do, I can say that I drive carefully at the gas peddle and still only get around 18mpg. I realize I am not supposed to be checking until after 3000 (at least that is what ford recommends) but I have been keeping track since day one and every fill up is consistently 17/18/19mpg. I do notice that the gauge goes down pretty fast to about 3/8 of a tank. Just a couple of days ago at 3/8 tank full I was around 175 miles at odometer and filled up with about 9.3 gallons. One thing is clear to me though with the gas mileage. I drove across the state the other day at consistently 80mph and I lost about 3mpg on a tank compared to 70-75 I typically drive. I am going to test it at no more than 55mph and I'll bet that I get into the 24mpg range that the sticker says. I guess what I am saying is that the people posting about their bad gas mileage may need to realize that Ford probably does the ranging of miles per gallon at a ax speed of 55 even though most states have limits of 70 on freeways.

Also, I am due for the first oil change. Does anyone know what the cross references are for the oil filter? I normally get Purolator or Quaker State filters and I have not looked yet. Just thought I would ask to see if anyone knows of a filter that crosses/or if I should just go to the dealership. Thanks in advance and ENJOY your ride, I sure do!!!
  • jmlagascajmlagasca Member Posts: 37
    I brought my trib ton the dealer on Tuesday and they could not find anything wrong with the fuel smell, "Could not duplicate smell..." in fact, they blamed the smell on "new car burn off". I'm not too dissapointed but I'm hoping something will happen soon, I'll probably be bringing the Trib back soon.

However, they also checked the Fuel gauge and found that it needed to be replaced. They ordered a new one and will fix it when it comes in. I can't say that the gauge has been misreporting the mileage, it's just that it drops much to often. Case in point, after bringing the Trib back from the dealer I filled up the tank. After turning left at a stoplight, the pin on the gauge dropped to the 3/4 tank! It spent the rest of the afternoon at the mark and finally started dropping again at 36 miles. I can't wait to get this fixed.

Regarding the fuel smell again, I've heard A LOT of speculation that owners will get a recall in the next couple of weeks, I'm not sure about this but it's been word of mouth (or internet forums). Probably, a TSB (technical service bulletin) or another recall... End of this month or early next month, I'm hearing.

As far as driving goes, the best tank I've gotten was 20.1 mpg. This was my last full tank. Driving in the mountains will sure beef up mileage, I was getting 25 on the highway with an average of 75 mph!!! When it came to city driving it went downhill though and thus the 20.1 mpg. Other than that, mileage was around the low 19s to mid 18s... Driving over 80 will reduce the mileage, 65-70 will improve it a lot. I personally try to keep the RPMs lower than 2200, anything above would significantly decrease the mileage.

The engine is rated for 5w-20 (I haven't been able to find any around here), the best bet for a filter right now would be the dealer, even though it's 3x as expensive. Even though the engine has been used by the Taurus, it's still too new to find any aftermarket filters that would fit. Plus, I hear that some of the engine parts have been changed...

I too greatly enjoy the ride!!!
    The ABS MK20 brakes with electronic brake distribution option are manufactured at a plant operated by Continental Teves in Morgantown NC, USA. They are a part of a German firm Continental AG that makes advanced automotive systems as well as tires. Volvo uses a lot of their systems to achieve the high safety performance they advertise, so Ford/Mazda picked a good product and supplier. When the Ford/Mazda contract was announced Teves said it was the largest production contract they had ever received. So they had to stretch to meet the original production schedule. But Ford and especially Mazda had seriously underestimated the number of ABS systems we would order so they simply started running low on the ABS parts. There were far more orders for the ABS than expected and the ABS is complex and has a lot of parts, so it has been a double stretch on Teves. http://www.conti-online.com/en/contiteves/ If you live near this plant, try to drop in there and ask them how things are going with their ABS systems order for Ford/Mazda and let us know. Maybe they will offer you a job on their night shift or their graveyard shift so you can get your truck even sooner! Thanks in advance!
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    Which engine do you have? If it's the 3.0L Duratec, the oil filter is nothing more than a grungy Motorcraft FL-820S, available at any discount store like Wal-Mart for under $3.00. I even went to a Mazda dealer to swap some old Miata filters I had laying around and they gave me the exact same Motorcraft filter, but with a Mazda part number sticker slapped on it.

Finding the 5w-20 oil is another matter entirely. None of the big chains or stores seem to carry it right now, but some of the smaller ones are getting it in. I found it at a local chain and only had to pay $1.49/qt. That's around $.75 cheaper than the dealers and a whopping $3.00 less than one oil change place quoted me.