Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bigsodypopbigsodypop Member Posts: 1
    I have driven my Escape for 2k and so far so good. I have driven different trucks/SUV's and I would recommend the Escape to anyone if they were looking for a truck in this size group. I haven't had any fuel smells and the wind noises are not out of line IMHO. For a first year model I have expected a few problems, however I have not experienced them yet.

I drive the XLT with the V6. The engine is quick and the mpg is getting better (I have tried to slow down a bit), I average 20-22 mpg. It is not the 24 mpg on the sticker but I live in the East and the gas is treated in the winter.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    ...nobody hates the car. It's an inanimate object, a collection of sheet metal. Figure it out who people can't stand... a person who has a bad reputation all over the Edmunds forums and in other discussions. As long as he keeps his nose here, I could care less what you all drive.

Happy Motoring!
  • zeller1zeller1 Member Posts: 3
    I have read comments on just about every option the Escape/Tribute offers, except for the audio system. Have any of you purchased an Escape or Tribute with the 300 watt system w/ subwoofer? How do you like it - how does it sound??
  • jusdoitokjusdoitok Member Posts: 3
    My thought would be to check out the Escape, during the week its more than adequate for your needs. It gives you enough space for everything but the dog, great visibility from the cabin, and plenty of pep for traffic. On the weekends maybe rent a larger platform for the boat, dog, yadayadda. That may help to optimism your overall situation. Personally, I admire that you are thinking of this. I see so many oversize SUV's with a driver, likely feeling the same as you. Good luck.
  • jusdoitokjusdoitok Member Posts: 3
    I have what they call the premium sound package in my XLT. It came I/ the ad slacker, but since I don't own any I had them change it for a cd-cassete combo. It has 6 speakers overall, including tweeters. The sound quality is wonderful, crisp and clear at any volume... have played it very loud. Reception on the radio is fine, even going through the coastal mountains here in Calif. I recently changed to a short black whip antenna from Radio Shack and am evaluating any changes... looks way better I think.
  • jackmanfljackmanfl Member Posts: 1
    No regrets. Purchasing the 2001 Tribute LX-FWD that is. I've had it 3 months, 3500 miles, no foul odors, problems, or otherwise negative input. Minor things Mazda needs to include in 2002, a light guide around the ignition so you can see where the key goes in the dark. A built in compass would be nice. Other than those, the vehicle handles great w/200 hp it moves out of it's own way. I have the Premium Audio package, cargo liner, sunroof etc... no leaks, audio package works/sounds great. I do notice a lot of brake dust on the front wheels though. I'll address that with service to see it it's normal, but it probably is due to the materials used. I'm happy, it serves my purposes. I don't off road, nor will I ever, it's not built for that. For the price, it's a well built, good looking vehicle.
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    I may buy an SUV or pickup later this year, and the Escape or Tribute are both on my list, but what is it with this board? Learn something from the Jeep Wrangler people - they seem pretty cool over there. (I drive a Pontiac, so don't accuse me of being a Jeep lover)
    Grow up.

As far as the Escape and Tribute, I haven't driven them yet. Yes the recalls bother me, however I know people who have them and are happy. Getting good service from the dealer makes a huge difference. Hopefully this is the end of the recalls, and the 2002s will be better. - J.
  • she123she123 Member Posts: 2
    Quick question. Has anyone out there experienced any problems with car seat installation with either the Escape or Tribute?
    Also, since both the above mentioned small SUV's are lower to the ground than our Jeep Cherokee,I was wondering if getting toddlers in and out could be a problem. Any comments would be helpful :)
  • nwwoodsnwwoods Member Posts: 21
    What is Ford/Mazda planning for these vehicles for 2002? We have heard of the 2.3L engine, but what else?

There is an accumulation of 'nits' that have collected in the months that folks have been able to experience these vehicles .. for example:

column-mounted (versus floor) shifter
    small door handles
    cabin noise level
    cladding finish
    cladding durability
    rear door closing hard
    placement of 4WD Lock switch (Tribute)
    ignition switch location/light (difficult to find)
    lack of remote fuel door release
    lack of overhead compass/temp display

Sure would be nice to know if any of these will be addressed. Any ideas what Ford/Mazda plans are, for the above and otherwise, for 2002?
  • quedeequedee Member Posts: 3
    I too hear the excessive wind noise at the juncture of the windshield and the door window seam. I flipped the mirrors in and that didn't help. I even temporarily taped off the seams of the doors from the outside to see if I had a leak but that didn't change the noise either. I was wondering if Window Visors and/or a hood deflector would change the air flow to help reduce the noise.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    that is going to be offered in the Escape/Tribute. This engine is now available in the Ranger/B series trucks. Last I read it is going to have 140HP and about 155ft/lbs of torque. It is supposed to be more durable and have a better HP/Torque curve along with giving BETTER mpg than the present 2.0. I have read that Ford/Mazda are ramping up production of the 2.3 engine and should be available in the Escape/Tribute in the Feb/March time frame.
    Hope this helps whomever asked....
    I live in the NW region and am just now starting to see more of the Escape/Tributes pop up..
  • marjeanmarjean Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for you note. I am new to this and I for what I have been reading, let me tell you that I am for real. Don't get me wrong, I like my Escape however, the fuel smell started within the first week that I bought it. I have been getting approximately 13 mpg since it was brand new. This weeks calculation was 12.4 mpg. I am an average driver. I do not speed. I am going to call the car dealer and take it in once again. However, (hoping that these postings are correct) I am going to strongly urge the dealership to change the fuel line and -ring. If I have to, I am going to the district manager and start the "Lemon Law" procedure by notifying Detroit of my defective car. Hopefully, someone will listen. I will not be treated as a dumb blond, in fact I probably have more education in my little finger than they do. I do want to keep my Escape, but not at 12 - 13 mpg. Geese! We have a top of the line Expedition and it gets better gas mileage. ;(
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I can't believe the Tribute/Escape doesn't have a remote fuel door release!
  • zsparkszsparks Member Posts: 8
    I am now curious as to the manufacture date of your Escape? Mine was built 12-11-2000, I took delivery of it 12-28-2000 and my model is a 4WD XLT w/ everything less the side air bags. I have just over 1300 miles on it and have been checking the gas mileage since the first tank and have been getting around 18mpg at every fill up check. I have not smelled any fuel odor of any kind (only the new car smell), but I have heard some Escapes don't get the odor until 1800 or so miles. My only complaints as of right now are that the ignition switch is hard to get to, the gear shifter lever is a bit long and I find myself grabbing the wipers (I do like that I can rest my hand on the lever and just reach out to the radio though), and the side step bars rub on my leg (I do like them and think they look good). To me quite frankly these are quite trivial in the big picture of the cars overall performance and easily overlooked.---((If anyone reading wants me to talk about everything I like about it I will gladly share that in a future post))---My wife just loves the car and sees nothing wrong with it. I as well love the car but have no reservations about telling its pitfalls. I am truly sorry to hear that your Escape may get the big lemon squeeze and has caused you problems. I'll bet that your Escape was built sometime earlier in production where some detail was not followed close enough or a part was assembled improperly causing these fuel problems. Of course I don't know if that is true but I find it odd how your car (and some others) get bad mileage and fuel odor when mine works fine. Only time will tell with mine but yours getting the odor and bad mileage right off the bat means to me that I may not get the bad mileage or fuel odor. This is why I think production order seems like a logical means of wondering why some have it and others don't. Hope to hear back.
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    The Tribute has a remote release for the locking fuel filler door. Another small, but noteworthy, difference between the Tribute and the Escape.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    I live in Florida, drove my new Escape {12/1/2000} to NJ {1100 miles and back {another 1100 miles} and averaged 24.5 miles per gallon and the vehicle handled great. Around town {Melbourne Beach, Florida} I have been averaging 20 mpg. As for dislikes..... the ignition key switch too low and not lighted ....{I have easily acclimated to that}The gear selector...bad location and gets in the way... have hit the wiper stalk several times when trying to shift from Park to Drive. Fuel Smell... had a slight fuel smell and took it back to the Dealer after reading a corrective fix at the Yahoo escape Club {thanks to BOB MAZDA} and they re torqued the manifold gasket bolts while the engine was "HOT" and this has corrected the problem {it is my understanding that Ford will be coming out with a TSB in a few weeks to have the Manifold Gasket replaced with a different style as the ones now have a tendency to "leak?}.Whether or not this will be a RECALL or not, I do not know. My Firestone 16" Tires are holding up A.O.K. {so far}.
    So far, that's it. No complaints. I have a Parchment Gold, XLT, V/6 auto., 16" wheel pack, privacy glass,leather package and added a wood trim dash kit, bug delector, mud flaps, and window vent visors.
    Previously, I had a RAV 4X4. It was a sound vehicle, but way too small interior with no leg room.I had it for three years and got a very good resale price. The Escape has it beat all the way around as far as I am concerned. {so far}.That's it for now.
    Happy NORT
  • atekchiatekchi Member Posts: 12
    I have a Xlt 4x4. I don't know about putting the kids in but my husband has a fused spine and says this is the easiest vehicle yet for him to get in and out of. No slight bending of head or stooping to get the head in first or crawling in on hands and knees. If it had a truck bed I would rarely get to drive it. It would be his.

I've had some of the same 'little irritants'; wiper lever and ignition placement, turn signal length, etc. The first thing I said when I saw the 'car' [sorry that's what it is for me] was
    "There's no lock or lever for the gas tank?" "They don't do that any more." he said. Say-la-v. [so I'm not French]
    There is a RPM gage. What is this for? I have been watching it. At 42 it is up to 2.5
    rpms. At 46 it is at 1.5 rpms. When the rpms are up is it guzzling and when down getting
    20+ mpg? Or is it only there to keep me from tromping the gas so hard I blow up the
    engine?
  • landscaperjoelandscaperjoe Member Posts: 15
    I'm interested in finding out if the Escape will have heated seats offered in the 2002 model? I have them currently and would REALLY like to have them in the next vehicle I get. I see the jeep liberty will offer them and I do believe that it is an option that Ford missed the boat on when it comes to a leather seat option package. This is true especially for us in the north areas of the U.S. I didn't notice anything on the "blueoval" web site about this. Any Help would be appreciated.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks,

A number of posts have been removed for not complying with the Terms of Use agreement to which you are all bound. A few other posts were removed because they referred to the deleted posts and were off-topic.

Please keep in mind that you have all agreed "to disagree in a civil manner should (you) take issue with the statements of another Town Hall participant" and that you "will not harass, threaten, or impersonate any Town Hall participants". Violations of these terms are grounds for termination of accounts.

Now, please, let's just continue to discuss issues with these vehicles without all the arguing and responses to the arguing. Thanks for your understanding.

Pat
    SUV Message Board Host
  • lovemyescapelovemyescape Member Posts: 7
    There is a post at the Yahoo The Ford Escape site that has a link to a 6 page article about the Escape/Tribute. It confirms what many have said before. The Tribute is geared towards a more sporty feel whereas the Escape is more truck-like. The Escape had to pass the same tests as the F350 Super duty. The article quotes the lead engineer of the Escape/Tribute program (a Japanese fellow from Mazda) as saying the Tribute has different computer software loaded to provide quicken, more farmer shift points. Also, the suspension is tweaked so the rib corners a little better. The engine has been altered slightly with more plastic parts (timing belt covers) to save weight and an aluminum oil pan to save weight and provide better off-road performance (whatever this means). The article also provides insight about the language/culture problems encountered during the development process. I wish I had the link because it is a really neat article. Also, BlueOvalNews.com has a great big four-part series about the Escape/Tribute and how it came to be, was engineered and what is in the future.
    Lovemyescape....I found this today. Someone posted it, can't remember if it came off the Yahoo site or not. How they were engineered and such. Maybe this is what you are talking about. http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m3012/6_180/63565216/p1/article.jhtml?term=
  • jmlagascajmlagasca Member Posts: 37
    The RPM gauge allows you to see how hard the engine is performing at a specific time. The numbers alloted on the line should be multiplied x 1000, they show how many revolutions per minute (RPM) the engine's pistons are cranking. The higher the number the harder the engine is working and the more gas/energy being used. For the Tribute/Escape engine, the RPM when idling between 65 - 75 mph should be around 2000-2400 rotations per minute in order to maintain the best gas mileage.

The automatic transmission is designed to shift into gears depending on how hard you're pushing the engine. If you had a manual transmission, you would rely A LOT on the RPM gauge to tell you when you should shift up or down.

I would be glad that the car has an RPM gauge on it as some cars don't (i.e. the echo...), of course for a car as expensive as the Trib, it should be standard. For automatics, the gauge doesn't really somein handy, but it lets you know how hard the engine is working so you can adjust your driving habits...

Lastly, I just want to thank Pat (the host) for deleting the posts that infested the forum. Hopefully, future posts will only be constructive!!!
    jmlagasca - Thanks - Now I'll work on keeping the rpms down. I have a habit of go fast, stop quick.
  • lovemyescapelovemyescape Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the link Atekchi! That is exactly the article I was speaking about.
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    Where are the Tributes? The last time I visited the Mazda dealer I was advised that they did not expect to see a Tribute for at least three months and that they were not allowed to take orders for them. Is this a Nationwide problem? Possibly Mazda is redesigning and correcting the problems and areas of poor design.
  • chaosiiichaosiii Member Posts: 3
    We have had our Escape XLS V6 4X4 for 3500 miles and still love it!

Gas Mileage: It started out bad, but has improved over the last couple trips. Around 20 MPG average between hwy/city. A note: the ODO reads low. I used mile markers from the highway and determined after 12 miles I lost 3 tenths of a mile. Either the state is wrong or the ODO is.

4X4 as 4X2: Dec. was a bad month for Michigan weather. 50+ inches of snow for the month. And I had fun! I switched to 4X4 once, just to see what happens, otherwise, I have left it in Auto and I can barely tell when the 4X4 kicks in. And the snow has been bad enough where it has to kick in. My sister-in-law had her drive way plowed to narrow for her Olds 98, so I used the Escape to knock down the sides (playing) so the snow could be shoveled away. No problems.

After market Accessories: If anyone has leads, I would appreciate it. All I found was Yakima makes a system that can attach to almost any roof system. I was looking for a low-profile ski enclosure, that was what I found (Yakima is a bit price though). Haven't really looked for anything else.

Seat belt clicking: There was an annoying clicking from the driver side seat belt. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the seat belt unit (?) but the clicking has re appeared. I was mistaken in my original diagnosis: the velocity lock for the pensioner. It seems to be coming from the swivel loop the seat belt travels through at the shoulder. My guess is that there is a washer that is not tight (so the mount can swivel). It has been too cold for me to check into it further, so I have been living with the click.

Comparisons: When we started looking into the mini-SUV market we test drove Kia and Honda as well. My take: Kia doesn't hit the pocket book as hard, but has less power, smaller, and has poor stability, while the CR was bigger (not as big as the Escape), better power (not like my V6) and looked better, but the $18k for a '97 with decent miles just didn't seem to be a bargain. The 20 minute drive we took in the Escape sold me, even after I saw all of the complaints here at the Town Hall.

To anyone still on the fence: if you have tried it but are concerned about recalls, etc., get one anyway if you have patience. I have found Ford to be prompt (I received a recall notice already, and it has been dealt with) with dealing with the problems with this new vehicle.

I would have to agree with a lot of #510. Ignition location, shift location, fuel door lock (lack), are just some of the things I am getting used to.

Cheers.
  • bobo31bobo31 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are still anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new 4x4 xlt escape. We just recently turned in our 97 F150 4x4 extended cab lease(which we loved!). Knowing our lease would be up soon, we ordered our escape at the end of Set. 2000. (plenty of time to build and deliver a new vehicle to meet our Jan. 15th deadline) That is - if the dealership you purchased it from doesn't file bankrupcey,lock their doors and cancel all their orders. It happened just a few days prior to our scheduled delivery date so we had to start from scratch with a new dealership. Our new tentative delivery date is the first of Feb. In the meantime, I am curious to hear about the escapes performance from someone who has done more with the vehicle than haul the kids to soccer practice, or pick up milk and eggs. I mean someone who has taken theirs off paved roads, strapped a canoe or bike to the top, thrown gear in the back, towed a trailer or forded a creek - how' it do?
  • happywithminehappywithmine Member Posts: 1
    FYI. I picked up my new Escape yesterday at the dealer. Prior to signing on the line I had them run the vin # to confirm that all recall issues were either addressed or were not applicable due to assembly line completion. Mine had a clean bill of health from the time that it left the assembly line. I have no concerns at this point. I did buy the extended warranty to address any issues that might(not likely)arrise. By the way the V6 is a beast in mine. You have to take it easy on initial acceleration because it will turn the tires over. Cool. However, I do take it easy. The vehicle puts you in the driver seat and makes you feel like you are in a SUV of larger size, say like that of a Trooper. Signed, VERY Pleased.
  • joymarjoymar Member Posts: 9
    I'm in the market for an SUV. i am interested in the Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute (4 cyl). but i have some doubts as to its capacity. my question for anyone who may be able to help is: with 4 adults (an avg of 150 lbs), will the engine not have a hard time with this load for long trips? i heard that the engine is from a ford focus (or just as big). also, which would be more practical or more economical (in terms of fuel consumption) ... a loaded 4 cyl. or a loaded V6? in other words, what will be more fuel efficient, an overworked 4 cyl. or an able V6? another question is, can the 4cyl. engine handle the its airconditioning unit during hot temperatures? thanks .....
    I was having a discussion with my husband about why people would want heated seats in their cars, and he came out with a comment. "Tell them to wear clothes in the winter when they drive, then the leather seats won't feel so cold." Well... 'I' thought it was funny.
    Haven't done any fording yet, just snow and ice. I'll let you know come spring. We tend to get lots of rain. It can become mud land around here. I don't think I'll have a problem. Hubby has a v8 Dokota 4x4 and that was the only vehicle we had that made it to the house. [We live off a gravel road, our drive is gravel plus the road to the house has a very step grade.] When the Escape arrived we tried it out up and down and all over. Never missed a beat. He really liked it. power to spare [v6]

This is the third 4x4 car/wagon like vehicle I've had. Each time we wear them out. The transfer case went on the Subaru in 4 years and the Honda lasted 12 years with a neglecful child using it for 3 of those. I might still have it if she had taken care of it. Engine went. She didn't keep it oiled and watered. But then it was standard and I was ready for AUTOMATIC.

I tried rally hard to find a Honda, but they just don't make one right now that talked to me. The PT talked until I saw the crash test plus no 4x4. Ford has a good crash test on the other SUVs so hoping for the same or better on the Escape. I'm trying to ignore the gas usage until later because of all the comments here about it getting better after a time. I could have gotten the 4, but gas milage isn't as improtant to me as the power to pass guickly.
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    joymar: Since you are concerned whether the 4 cyl can handle four adults, all their stuff, and the airconditioner on long trips consider the last line of (atekchi)s post 533 just above: "I could have gotten the 4, but gas mileage isn't as important to me as power to pass quickly." Many of us have chosen the 6 for safety reasons figuring it is the best and cheapest insurance for our loved ones, well worth the slightly lower MPG when you need it. Also, the present 2 liter 4 cyl is due to be replaced in the next few months with a considerably improved 2.3 liter 4 cyl, so you don't want to be ordering something obsolete. If you test drive you might find the 4 cyl/manual seems OK and the 6 cyl/Auto a bit much in town driving or commuting, but that's not why we buy Mazda/Escape with all of their suv extras. We want the extra capability and safety.
  • 1128q1128q Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my Escape (XLT 4WD) on Monday and have put approximately 200 miles on it so far. Got a pretty good deal on it (dealer's invoice plus $100, and I saw the actual invoice, so I know the dealer only made the $100 plus the holdback). Also, the dealer gave me a fair trade on my 98 Explorer with high milage. BTW - the reason for giving all of these details is that I've heard some East Coast Ford dealers are "sticking it to customers" because the Escape is still in short supply, and I actually found one dealer who is interested in a long term business relationship! What a surprise!

Anyway, I bought the vehicle for my daughter, who turns 17 next month, but after driving it myself, I think she'll have to find another car! It is tight, has great pick-up, corners like a champ, and stops on a dime. If this is the way this vehicle performs now, I can't wait to see what its like after its broken in.

To those who are still on the fence about buying an Escape, keep track of the messages on this board. I learned alot from lurking here, and knew what to look for when test driving other SUVs (RAV 4, CRV, Grand Vitera (sp?), Monterro, Santa Fe) as well as when talking to the dealers. Good information here, even if you don't buy an Escape.

Anyway, I'll report back on my experiences as I put milage on the vehicle, just in case anyone is interested.
    a lot, 1jimv1 for the inputs. appreciate it. the safety angle will be a BIG factor towards my final decision.
  • jasrharrisjasrharris Member Posts: 1
    Reply to message #527 of 536 Where are they? by oberfieldwebel:

I live in Jacksonville, FL and visited a dealer yesterday with a fleet of approx. 13 tributes, Models DX,LS & ES. I'm in the market as well. One dissapointment, none with moon or sun roof.
    If you like to travel 225 miles north (from Vero Beach) you may not have to wait 3 months. But, let me get mine first.

Jim
    I know this engine is coming soon. Last I read was sometime in Feb/Mar time frame. Anyone heard of any changes?
    Joymar, the 2.3 is going to have 140HP and 150ft/lbs of torque. The MPG is supposed to be better than the present 2.0. 4cyl engines always do better coupled to a 5spd transmission. If you plan on making this a touring vehicle with adult sized passengers, go the V6....
  • jtframerjtframer Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at buying a Mazda Tribute LX. We want to order the ABS brakes but we have heard that Mazda is having a problem with them.
    Has anyone else heard this?
    Thanks for the added info, vince8. have a question though. if the Ford Escape will be changing their 2.0L engine to a 2.3L soon, does this mean that Mazda's Tribute will do too? Escape mostly for city driving. Not really planning on long trips but just want to make sure that the 2.0L can hack it if i had to.
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    After waiting for Mazda to correct all the Tribute problems and get into production I finally gave up. My new Chrysler Town & Country Limited has no recalls, drives and rides great and has 1st class finish inside and out. To date I have driven it over 600 miles and averaged 22 mpg. I have no doubt that it will deliver at least 24 mpg on the highway and there are no leaking fuel smells.
    Aaaaa BUT will is go in the snow %~D
    I have a Dokota as well so I like Chrysler fine. "I" just didn't want another van. Gave my last to the Kids who have 5 kids of their own. [This way I don't have to keep talking my way out of taking 5 kids at once.]
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    Does anybody know where the Escapes are made. I heard today that Ford is shutting down two plants in Ohio to relieve inventory. I'm waiting on an XLT ordered on the 15th of Jan. Just what I needed!
  • bobo31bobo31 Member Posts: 2
    I just spoke with the sales mgr at the dealership with whom I have my 2nd escape order and was told that the escapes are made in Kansas City, MO. You can start worrying about your escape when you've had your order in as long as I have - try Sept. 15 2000. A couple of temporary production line shut downs and one dealership bankrupcy later I still don't have my escape.
    If you can wait for the 2.3 you won't be disappointed. What I can gather from reading blurbs on the net the 2.3 is superior to the present 2.0. What I have heard from some that presently own the 2.0 Escapes they do have to push the engine a bit harder. The 2.3 will also be available in the Tribute. The engine has more HP and torque, yet gives better MPG. The 4cyl will be fine for city driving and the occasional snow/ice storm that may pop up. Right now, I am waiting for at least two things. First is the 2.3 to arrive. Second is for special incentives/financing to arrive sometime this summer for the Escape. A person claiming to be a Ford exec says to "stay tuned incentives are just around the corner". Plus I want to wait for production to catch up with demand. I know that I will get a far better deal waiting for the dealer lots to fill up with these. Plus this summer more SUV's from other companies are coming, the Jeep Liberty, Saturn SUV, Toyota Highlander are just a few that are entering this market. This will drive prices down...
    vince8... was finally able to test drive a 2.0L and talked to several dealers (ford and mazda) abt. 2.3L engine. they said they haven't heard anything abt this (while trying to dispose present inventories?). anyway, i believe Ford/Mazda will eventually come out with a "stronger" (2.3L and up) engine but not just yet. maybe as a 2002(?) model or even 2003. the reason, and i'm guessing, is the logjam with present orders. maybe when all other car manufacturers have come out with their models and there's a slow down with mazda/ford orders will they have the time to come up with the change(s).
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Please read my post # 16544 at the Yahoo Ford Escape Club
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "Aaaaa BUT will is go in the snow %~D
    "

I live in Buffalo, NY. We get a lot of snow. And there are a lot of Chrysler Co. minivans about. They do just fine.
  • bogie7bogie7 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my first suv on Jan. 11, 2000. The new Mazda Tribute ES - fully loaded... I thought! There was one oversight however, that the dealership did not catch and neither did I until after I took my tribute home. The "standard" cruise control is missing! I called the dealership as soon as I found out - they were in as much shock as I was and promised to correct this immediately. It's now been over two weeks, they are still "looking into" the situation but haven't offered any resolution. I love my ES for all it's other features - we needed the 4wd and the roomy interior it offers - but we also need the cruise control! The SE Regional Mazda mgr left me a message this past Friday indicating he's aware of my situation and about 14 other cases of tribute LX and ES's missing cruise control. Anyone else out there in the same situation as I am? Any advice on what my rights/expectations are? Your comments are appreciated.
    I hope its not until 2002 for the 2.3! This is one reason why I am waiting to buy an Escape. The 2.3 is now available in the Ford Ranger/Mazda Bseries trucks. I am constantly searching the net for information as to when this engine will be available in the Escape/Tribute. A few months back I read at Blue oval news that it would become available in the Feb/Mar time frame.. Lets hope this still holds true :-))
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Oh yea, quality is job #1 at Ford and it's subsidaries.