Options

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    when substantial money is involved (Basic Contract Law). Dealers usually pass on price increases they have to pay to the manufacturer at delivery to them. But Ford has made clear the date of it's price increase and that it is not retroactive to sold orders placed with them before that date. So relying on "todays verbal offer" and then casually waiting 10 weeks before actually signing a contract to buy can meanwhile change the dealer's cost with the manufacturer and so there is an "adjustment". That is why we sign a written contract First, have the dealer Manager sign, pay our earnest money Deposit, and only Then Wait the 10 weeks. (rsharp83), your uncle just learned why specific written contracts were invented to replace casual verbal agreements, not that the dealer was unethical. He just didn't get the benefit of having a contract and a set price. It wasn't Ford's fault. The fine print only passes on costs outside the dealer's control. Otherwise it negates the contract.
  • Options
    kc40kc40 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Tribute in Nov. 2000. When I engage the power window lock I can't open or close any of the windows except the drivers window. The way I read the owner's manual I should be able to control the other windows in the car even with the window lock on. My '92 Protege would allow me to do this. Am I misinterpreting the owner's manual?
  • Options
    scottgbscottgb Member Posts: 23
    I don't have a Tribute, but it sounds like the power window lock is probably engaged. That would keep any of the windows other than the driver's window from working.
  • Options
    debmomdebmom Member Posts: 2
    Have been very pleased with our cloth seats. They are very comfortable and kid friendly.
  • Options
    huckaroohuckaroo Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same the problem with the new Escape. Mine has also been the shop for a week now and they cant find the problem. The car seems to chug when on the highway.

Bikertrash- Have they fixed the problem for you???
  • Options
    markhandmarkhand Member Posts: 1
    I've read all 450+ messages and have seen no mention of this. We noticed
    over the weekend that our Escape was leaning at the back left side. A rough
    measure between the top of the tire and the bodywork shows a 1.5" difference
    between the left and right rears. Are there any TSBs on this subject?

We took it to the dealer who slated us in for tomorrow morning to have it fixed.
    The service guy didn't appear too concerned despite my worries about stability.
    I'll respond with the outcome.

Also what's the solution to that seat belt clicking noise?
  • Options
    solkowksolkowk Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the problems with the Escape have been fixed?
    Is anyone really pleased with their Escape?
    I'm looking at ordering one (not taking one off the lot) but if they are having problems, I'll pass.
    It seems like it's the largest of the mini-SUV compared to RAV4 and CR.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    silvertributesilvertribute Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone teel me what the compartment on the right side in the rear of the Tribute has in it. I bought one three months ago and there are velcro straps there with nothing in it. I cannot find anything about this in the manual. Just wanted to check to see if I was missing something. I thought that maybe there should be a jack and tire iron, but they are in with the spare. Thanks for any help that you can provide. I have a ES model and simply love it. No major problems to speak of yet. Hopefully not. My smile just keeps getting bigger and bigger every day with this SUV. I love pulling up to a light and having everyone turn there heads as I drvie by. Getting very good gas around 22 MPG.
  • Options
    bartlindenbartlinden Member Posts: 11
    Just logged our first 1,000 miles on the new Escape with no problems as yet. So far my only complaints are the placement of the ignition switch (slightly different location than both my Ranger and the '98 Contour that the new car replaced - just enough to be annoying), the slightly confusing wiper switches (but we'll get used to both of those things easily enough) and the fog lamps that won't come on when using just the parking lamps. In reference to the wind noise problems posted lately; I don't notice anything overly noisy about ours, but our Escape has a hood deflector - could this possibly make a difference? Oh, yeah - gas mileage for first few tanks has averaged right at 18.5 MPG overall - not bad for break-in period IMO (4WD V6 auto).
  • Options
    leshinedleshined Member Posts: 1
    Notice came in from Mazda, on the Tribute. I noticed fresh oil on the floor in my garage underneath the rear differential. Apparently when the housing was bolted at the factory, some units did not have the bolts torqued in the exact sequence required. New bolts have to be installed. No major loss of oil, but had me spooked. My tribute is only a week old. S. I love it. The six gets 18mpg around town with very good acceleration, even on regular gas.
  • Options
    k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    I ordered my Black/parchment(tan)XLT 4WD yesterday. got the 3.0,moon roof & privacy glass. After reading & participating in this & other forums for the last 2 month, I weighed the problems against the benefits (ie.r8sharp s. ptmccain). I felt that the triscapes have gotten thru they're growing pains. I looked @ the Honda CR (poor styling),the Rav4 (too small),the forester (everything an option!).
    The Escape looks like someone stuck an Explorer in the microwave & shrunk it! This is a look I like. Road test went well. I even turned it off for 10 minutes & restared w/the heat on #2 in an attempt to recreate the famed "gas odor".
    I followed a lot of the tips from carbuyingtips.com about negotiating my deal & ended up @ $250.00 over invoice! The dealer says 6 to 8 weeks. Judging from some of the posts that I've read here, I won't hold my breath. Important thing to note: If your trading in your car on a factory order, some dealers will hold you to a "re-appraisal" upon delivery. This is just in case you wreak the car or blow the engine! My car was brought in @outstanding so they expect the same when the deal is done. Don't let them play that game where they tell you that your trade in depreciated through wear & tear & additional mileage during the waiting period. The first line on the back of the contract about trade-ins states that the trade-in is allowed w/normal wear & tear. They try to scare you so you'll buy something in stock!
    Stick to your guns & tell them to take it (the price) or leave the the dealership. Also, this makes them "push" your order that much quicker, since now your putting miles on "they're car"! LOL
    In all fairness though , I wouldn,t consider a long distance trip since this probably would not be considered "normal" mileage!
    Well, I hope to get this vehicle by March,e which in Nrw York usually means winters over (hopefully). So I'll be ready for next year!
    Wish me Luck!
  • Options
    rick_lrick_l Member Posts: 8
    Silver Tribute asked "Can anyone tell me what the compartment on the right side in the rear of the Tribute has in it".

This compartment holds the sub woofer when the vehicle is equipped with the 6CD player.
  • Options
    sreid1sreid1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the outside mirrors on these vehicles are heated?

It is not mentioned anywhere in the literature or web site and I've had 2 different responses from dealers I've asked.

If not, I'd be shocked that such a small item was overlooked for a vehicle that's got really good content/value equation.

I'm even amazed that there's not a heated seat option.

These vehicles with 4WD are of course attractive to those of us in snowy climates and a cold weather package seems to make excellent sense as an option.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    sreid1sreid1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the outside mirrors on these vehicles are heated?

It is not mentioned anywhere in the literature or web site and I've had 2 different responses from dealers I've asked.

If not, I'd be shocked that such a small item was overlooked for a vehicle that's got really good content/value equation.

I'm even amazed that there's not a heated seat option.

These vehicles with 4WD are of course attractive to those of us in snowy climates and a cold weather package seems to make excellent sense as an option.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I got a call from a dealership that I didn't buy the Escape from today. He told me that the place I settled with will probably try to depreciate my trade in upon delivery of my new car.
    I said that although that may happen,I hedged my bet by making the proviso that the only devaluation would have to be as a result of body damage, powertrain failure or excessive mileage. If thats not good enough then I'll still buy the Escape @ $250 over invoice & sell the car myself!
  • Options
    rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    No, the Triscape does not have heated seats or mirrors available as standard or even an option. Although it's an irritating omission, it's not quite as glaring as one might think - the Nissan Xterra offers neither, as well.

If heated mirrors and seats are really necessary, consider the Hyundai Santa Fe. Although lacking in some areas when compared to the Triscape, it has enough other redeeming features to make it a good alternative to the Triscape.
  • Options
    howdya1howdya1 Member Posts: 3
    Took my Escape in and the dealer apperantly replaced the manifold gaskets. This only reduced the smell for a couple of days and the smell its know all back. Anyone with the same problem, please report the fuel vapor smell to Ford, Email , call them. My dealer said he heard the gaskets were being redesing. I called Ford , and they say the only thing they know is that its under review. Anyone have any new word on this?
  • Options
    paperboy31paperboy31 Member Posts: 1
    My Escape:

XLT, 2wd (kinda wish I had gotten 4wd), V6, all the options except for Leather (I wanted everything the leather came with - overhead console, etc. - except for the leather seats).

Paying 21,900 and my dealer is going to change my oil as long as I own the vehicle. :-) My secret.

My question is - is the 10 weeks the dealer told me realistic? I hope so. I can't wait to get out of the car I'm in.
  • Options
    Congrats.! I just ordered mine too(post #463). Lets see which one comes 1st. I went with the 4WD for the resale value. My dealer said 6-8 weeks. We'll see. Did you trade in your car & if so did your dealer talk about depreciation or devaluation upon delivery of your Escape? Just curious.
  • Options
    sheilakelsheilakel Member Posts: 1
    I have had my new Tribute for about a week and I absolutely love it. I never imagined that I would own a SUV that drove like a car.

I have noticed that I have a similar problem with the window lock. My Intrepid Driver's side window would work while all others were locked. I also wish that my doors would lock after I start driving.

I would highly recommend this SUV to anyone wanting something smaller than a Explorer or the larger SUV.
  • Options
    jmoser1jmoser1 Member Posts: 1
    where did you buy your escape for 250 over invoice? i am in albany area and would pretty much drive anywhere in new york for that kind of a deal. thanks.
  • Options
    atekchiatekchi Member Posts: 12
    I've have my Escape close to 2 weeks. Five minutes after I got it home I found out how nice the Leather seats were. My small dog went from one end to the other in 30 sec. flat...muddy feet and all. Leather cleaned right up. I shutter to think what the cloth would have looked like.
    Getting use to placement and short length of the turn signal lever has been my main problem. AND turning on the front wipers when I think I'm getting the shift lever.
  • Options
    redskiesredskies Member Posts: 1
    We got our Tribute last week and I'll tell you, nothing has been such a pleasure to drive for us - ever!

Yeah, we do get the looks from people too. The ES models are hard to get and there was one in the entire metro area with a moon roof - we got it. A loaded ES. Can't stop coming up with of places to go with it.

I guess if I have to mention something I have to get used to, it's two things: the auto doorlocks that we had with the Explorer; and the gear shift is right in front of the stereo when you are in the driver's seat. Other than that, we love it.

Chris in AZ
  • Options
    k9kop1 It's very hard these days to buy even approximately what you want off a retail lot for 250 over invoice. The retail sales manager and his hard working commission salesmen will make you pay for their retail costs and you must haggle. On the other hand, if you are willing to wait about two months for the suv, it's very easy to factory order exactly what you want for less than invoice if you read some of the posts here which show you how to stay completely out of the retail marketing channel. And there is no haggling involved. See Post 172 and 210 in the Ford Escape II discussion.1jimv1 "Ford Escape - II" Dec 15, 2000 11:04pm
  • Options
    Dealers usually evaluate all trade-ins at what the wholesaler will pick it up for the next day because that is what usually happens to your trade in. The value is calculated from a book. If you continue to drive your trade in for 2 or 3 months waiting for your new suv to arrive then the value calculated from the book will be slightly less. Why not accept that as fair to everyone in the deal?
  • Options
    ux4ux4 Member Posts: 1
    Two earlier posts provided potential fixes:

1) The acceleration sensor must have been made incorrectly because they replaced the whole seat belt unit (under warranty). No click.

2) Sprayed assembly I/ WD40

If it really is a problem I/ the acceleration sensor, option 2) may cause it to stick. I'm getting my wipers inspected on Friday per the recall and will ask about option 1).

Bill
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I read your post earlier. Actually, I've been following you,r8sharp, ptmccain et al..for a few months now. I logged onto EAA Aviation site & was considering going that way, but I was also interested in trading in my vehicle. I know that I could get a lot more by selling it myself, but I am not in a position to give up my car before delivery of my Escape(check out my screen name). Nor am I comfortable w/ every shmoe w/ a magnifying glass going over my car & trying to knock a few cents off my price.
    I just figured I'd go w' the best combo (new price & trade-in) available.
    I understand the logic about devaluation of my trade-in after 2 or 3 months, but except for this dealer(we'll see). No one would commit to HOW MUCH they would take off. I don't like random factors in any equation.
  • Options
    Hi! I happen to own a toyota also. Hopefully not for long! I'm trading it in on the Escape. I've considered your request for my dealers name & have decided thus. A) I won't promote this fellow till the deal is done & I have my hot little hands on my Escape & B) The agreed upon price for my Toyota is paid. Most people think he's gonna jack me on the trade & blame it on his boss!Then I will probably make him rich(or poor if he screws me)after I post his name & dealership on the internet.
    By the way , Long Island is about 4hrs to Albany!
  • Options
    marciag1marciag1 Member Posts: 1
    I am ordering an Escape. I was wondering if any of you saw or have the Blue and what you thought of it. I saw it briefly and liked it, but am not sure.
  • Options
    elloumi71elloumi71 Member Posts: 1
    there is an incredible wind noise in the escape and that's really too bad.
    I wish I could find a fix to the problem.

Is there a possibility that this is coming from the step bars.
    If someone does not have step bars on this list can he
    please let me know if he has the noise problem.

any tip is welcome. I hate the noise. I'm even thinking
    to sell my car! anyone interested in a fully loaded escape
    and only 4000 miles?
  • Options
    jurp11jurp11 Member Posts: 8
    I was looking to buy a New Ford Escape, I was unable to find any crash tests rating ro information that oculd be useful. I was wondering if anyone could send me some information, I was also wondering the difference in price ranges between the Mazda Tribute and The Ford Escape. My e-mail is Jp122985@aol.com if anyone is intrested in helping me out or just post some info on here. It would be a big help thanks.
  • Options
    dniehusdniehus Member Posts: 83
    Crash tests (NHTSA) will be available in Feb for both the Escape and the Tribute. Check www.nhtsa.gov next month.

Edmunds has detailed invoice and MSRP pricing for both the Tribute and Escape. If you get both fully loaded (i.e., Tribute ES or Escape XLT), MSRP pricing is within $100-200. Actual purchase price is a whole different story. At least in our area, Tributes (except for DX's) are in very short supply and many dealers are selling for MSRP or only small "discounts". Escapes, on the other hand, seem to be more plentiful. Here it's quite easy to order or buy off the lot an Escape for $100-200 over invoice. Therefore actual purchase price for the two vehicles could vary by well over $1000. Note that the Escape comes in two "trim" lines (XLS and XLT), while Mazda has packages the Tribute in 3 trim lines (DX, LX, and ES). Unlike Toyota and some other manufacturers, the list of options is relatively short (at least for the XLT and ES which come with lots of "goodies"). In many instances, you will do better pricewise by ordering -- if you can be patient. The wait will be at least 8-10 weeks for an Escape and much longer for a Tribute. Tributes with ABS are becoming extremely scarce. So, if ABS is important to you, you're probably looking at buying an Escape.

Good luck.
  • Options
    My Escape has the bars, but no noise. But then I don't have 4,000 miles on mine yet ether. Hopefully it won't fall apart that quick. I plan to keep mine for years. Have two family members asking to get it when I get tired of it. I said 'Get in line, but you have a long wait.'

Some previous messages said the cross bars on the rack might cause noise if improperly installed.
  • Options
    tnhiker2tnhiker2 Member Posts: 1
    We tried to deal with a dealer in Bristol, no deal $200 over sticker was their final offer and they were very rude as well. I even wrote the CEO of Mazda a letter detailing how we were treated at the dealership. I won't go into the details here due to the fact I don't stoop that low.
    We went to Knoxville, Tn. Got an LX model 4x4 in the color we wanted and about $600 under sticker at that.
    If anyone is interested the dealer is listed as
    Mazda Knoxville and when we left there were still
    about 10 units on the lot.
  • Options
    themickthemick Member Posts: 1
    paperboy, ive been waiting a very long 3 months for my escape. they told me it would be here christmas time. its now january 19, and they keep telling me any day now. also anyone with xlt fwd have any trouble in the snow??
  • Options
    I considered the wedgewood blue before I ordered my Escape. My wife said it was "cute" & my daughter said it was "pretty". Needless to say I ordered the BLACK with tan interior. LOL!
    Since your name is Marcia, I will recommend the "wedgewood".
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    We had 10" fluff snow, then 3" of icy snow with 1" of ice to start with on the bottom. My fwd van and my sons fwd Pontiac couldn't make it up the drive. Got the 4x4 Escape and drove it every where. No problem, only it worked better in Auto then lock 4. If you have any grade to travel you better get a running start with a fwd.
  • Options
    bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    I was at the Baltimore Auto Show today and the Ford Rep said that you can get ABS or Moonroof beginning in Mid to late May.

In other words, if you ordered one, you will not get it any sooner. Apparently there is a huge backlog of those who have ordered them and are crazy enough to wait 6 freaking months for a car.

In short, if you ordered an XLT (where ABS is standard) or a vehicle with a moonroof, be prepared to wait a VERY long time.

Although, I will say that I loved the new Thunderbird.

Oh, I am sure PTMCCAIN will jump all over me for bashing, but blame the message not the messenger.
  • Options
    marjeanmarjean Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I purchased a top of the line 4WD Escape with moon roof, V6,Towing package - the whole ball of wax. I has been having (and this is NO lie) gas fumes in the car off and on. I am only getting 13mpg on a car the was rated at 18 MPG. I took it into the shop and they told me that they could not find anything wrong. I fuel line and O ring was inspected. Is their anyone out there that is having the same problem? I have 3,600 miles on the car.
  • Options
    zsparkszsparks Member Posts: 8
    I also have a loaded Escape with about 1300 miles. Absolutely love it and am just curious at what mileage did you start to notice the fuel odor in the driver area? Did your Escape get better mileage before now or have you always gotten around 13mpg? Any other things that you are noticing about yours that you don't like? I used to keep up on the postings more but I have been getting sick of all the back and forth nonsense that keeps getting posted so I don't know if you have posted any of this information or not already. Sorry if you have.
  • Options
    bugeye24bugeye24 Member Posts: 5
    I test drove a Tribute and Escape back to back. While the softer tribute suspension was nice on the highway the firmer Escape was better on a bumpy back work. A decision..
    1.Someone said both are made on the same line in MO. Correct? A puzzle since I was told they share few body parts and have different engines.
    2.Engine: I'm told Mazda started with the Ford V-6 but retooled it. Anyone know just what is different? Clearly they are different since they have different HP and torque spec's. So, they ship it to Japan for retooling and ship it back to MO. for installation?
    3. Trans. : Some bashed the Escape transmission but Consumers report shows good reliability for most Ford transmissions, including the Taraus. Any basis for this? Since the trans is rated for towing 3500 lbs I would think that it was heavy duty. Any chance they are putting too much on it? The Tribute trans is supposedly a new one. Correct? Any history?
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    (And, sometimes, what we can figure.)

All left-hand-drive Tributes and Escapes, regardless of where they're going to end up, are assembled at a Ford plant in Kansas City. All RHD versions are built by Mazda.

The engines are the same in both models. Minor things like the shape of an air intake or a different computer calibration can account for the insignificant differences in horsepower. (At the 200-hp level, there are maybe four people on earth who can tell the difference between 198 and 202 hp without instruments; the rest are doing the transcontinental chain-yank.)

The transmission is Ford's CD4E, which was first seen on this size of the pond in the four-cylinder 1994 Probe and its Mazda cousins (MX-6/626), and later in the Contour/Mystique. It was not particularly reliable in its earliest incarnations, though it has been through a number of upgrades since then. The CD4E has never been used in the Taurus/Sable. The four-cylinder versions can be had with a Mazda 5-speed manual; I do wish they would extend this option to the V6 as well.
  • Options
    ddeemoddeemo Member Posts: 8
    Yes they both come off the same assembly line but they have all different body panels except for the roof and winshield.

The engine is the same but tuned slightly differently (different engine management chip) for slightly quicker response on the Tribute. It is not shipped to Japan and back, although the same engine is shipped to Japan to install in right hand drive models.

The Escape and Tribute suspensions are tuned differently for better handling on the Tribute and smoother ride on the Escape. The Tribute is actually firmer, not the other way around. This firmness allows higher cornering forces in a turn vs smoother ride for Escape. This is why the Escape rode better on a bumpy road.

The Transmission was totally redesigned about 1996 and has had no major problems since.
  • Options
    blackthornblackthorn Member Posts: 1
    We have purchased a Tribute ES and we love everything about it, except the WIND NOISE around
    the door panels. It is very annoying.
    Has anyone found a fix for this problem?
  • Options
    jusdoitokjusdoitok Member Posts: 3
    I bought my blue XLT in December and have driven it hard for 2800 miles. I have not had any problem with the car, no smells or strange things going on. I enjoy the speed and comfort levels, the sounds are great, and people seem to enjoy looking at it. Would I wait months for an order? No, but I don't wait for much of anything. Could the car be improved? Yes, and as a first year car I suppose next year will be better. I'm happy with my car and when I have something to complain about, I'll get it fixed. Wind noise is an irritant, but its not excessive in my case. I went around the windows / doors and adjusted the rubber a bit by hand. Mileage in the city is a concern, but I'm working on that also by trying not to use overdrive unless on the freeway. I've never had a new car, so I don't mind a couple little bugs in the experience.
  • Options
    escape4ever_caescape4ever_ca Member Posts: 4
    I have over 8000 miles on my Escape and have had absolutely no problems. I have taken it off road, on long highway treks and city driving and has excelled. I have never owned a better vehicle. It's powerful, brakes and handles extremely well and when I drive it, I feel like I am driving the best vehicle in the world. (It may not be, but that is the driving impression it leaves with you)

Anyone buying the Escape will not be disappointed. It has met and exceeded all of my expectations.

Love my escape.

Escape4ever_a
  • Options
    glennzilla69glennzilla69 Member Posts: 3
    This is really rediculous..... This board was created to let everyone who are concerned about legitimate problems with the Escape/Tribute find solutions from each other. Instead, a select few have decided to turn it into a board all about bashing this vehicle any way they can. From what I've been reading, their goal is to persuade those who have questions about problems that can or have arisen, to choose a vehicle other than Escape or Tribute (Santa Fe comes to mind). Does this vehicle have problems? Of course it does... It is a brand new platform. But guess what??? Ford fixed these problems as soon as they were found. They didn't wait until someone was injured or even killed. The bottom lines is this: If you don't like the Escape or Tribute fine. That is your right. Please though, take your fearmongering some place else....
  • Options
    Some Escape owners have complained about a faint fuel smell. I have never experience this and many other owners have also never experienced it. Ford is working on the fix for the vehicles that do have the problem.

Fuel economy - I have never reached the epa rating on the Highway, mainly because I don't drive slow enough, but I have been close on a number of occasions. I reguarly meet or exceed the city epa.

Don't let the few reports on the problems of the Escape take you away from how great the Escape is. It is a treat. You really few superior driving it, especially when you pull up against a CRV or RAV4. You also have the superior feeling when you pull up against larger and more expensive SUV's as well, because the Escape feels that good.
  • Options
    I didn't mean anything deep when I used the adjective "superior". I meant to say that you feel that the Escape is superior to those two SUV's in the same class. I have owned many Honda's and they have been great cars, but the Escape is a better vehicle than the CRV or RAV4.

The Escape has been a terrific vehicle for me. It hasn't been perfect for everyone and it is good to communicate the problems, but if the whole discussion is about the problems and there is no discussion about how great it is, then I think that people get the wrong impression.

There are many great cars out there, the Escape isn't the right vehicle for everyone, but for me it has been terrific.

Gary (A Canadian)
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    are a scar that Ford/Mazda will have to live with forever with these two vehicles. What some seem to keep forgeting is these recalls DO NOT pertain to EVERY Escape/Tribute built. AND, these recalls are now months old and DO NOT include the Escapes/Tributes now on the assembly line.
    The fact is Mazda/Ford have built a winner and there will always be those who hate a winner. The RAV4 and CRV don't stand up to the Escape when it comes to performance, handling, comfort. Ford/Mazda set a new standard for this vehicle segment. I plan on buying my Escape this summer. I am waiting for the new 2.3 along with incentives.
    This offroad debate also is getting old. I presently own a 4x4 truck and do offroad in my fishing and camping excursions. I will take off onto a trail and see just how far I can go. The Escape is fine for those trips up to ski, or to those camp areas, or even on a logging road. Fact is over 90 percent of SUV's don't even see gravel! Ford/Mazda aimed this vehicle at the majority of buyers and their driving taste.