Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Do you mean this thread?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    I have been lurking on this board for quite a while gathering info on the MDX and so far I like what I see, BUT I am quite peeved that Acura/Honda is maintaining this shortage of MDXs, therefore allowing dealers to price-gouge - I am a firm believer that MSRP for a car is gouging. Does anyone know why this is the case? Are these trucks really flying out of show rooms quicker than Acura can make them, or does it seem as though Acura is dragging their feet on production? Honda/Acura has 2 really hot commodities right now in MDX and Odyssey and both are tremendously back-ordered. Seems to me that they ought to be pumping them out of the factory quicker than they are if so many people are ready and willing to buy. I have a real problem waiting any more than 2 weeks for a car/truck when I've got money in hand. Anyone know if this situation is to get better next year?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Unfortunatly, the issue is capacity. The Alliston plant right now is running at full capacity cranking out Odys and MDX's. Luckily for Honda/Acura, every one of them is basically accounted for. Trust me, I'm sure Honda/Acura would love to be pumping out as many as possible. They make the same amount from the dealer every time. Building a new plant is not an easy thing. When you are going to invest 1/2 to 1 billion dollars, you better be sure that plant will be running for the next 20-30 years. The new Ody plant in Alabama will be up later this year and probably then will more capacity be available for the MDX. But then don't forget about the rumored Honda version of the MDX. Where will they build that???

I know how you feel regarding the wait. I waited 3 months for my Ody less than a year ago. As for your assertion that MSRP equals gouging, there are plenty of people out there just like you with cash in hand ready to buy at MSRP and above. It's the same with MB C class, BMW's Z3's not too long ago, Honda CRV's back 4 years ago. If you don't like the game as it is, I suggest you wait until it's more to your liking.
  • Options
    changstahchangstah Member Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy (lease) my MDX. Just wondering...is the touring package really worth it? The main thing I'm interested in is the Acura/Bose sound system. Is it really that much better? Also, here in LA many of the dealers are "requiring" additional options of $2,000 and up. Anyone know any dealers in LA that aren't making you load up on useless options?
  • Options
    thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    Check here for info on LA dealer stats:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=951

Insofar as whether touring's worth it, that's an entirely subjective and personal opinion. There was a discussion on acuramdx.org about that very subject in addit to a couple here quite some time ago (so long ago, that it might be tough to find those in 1800+ posts).

Consensus seems to be that the BOSE is, in fact, better than the base, but a far cry from audiophile quality. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but would say it's perfectly adequate but nowhere near a Nakamichi or Mark Levinson. Given all the marketing hype you see from/about Bose, I was actually disappointed since I expected it to knock my socks off.

If the BOSE is all you car about in the touring package, you could spend your $2600 on some other aftermarket amp and changer and speakers and probably do much better.

FWIW, I have the touring (w/Nav) and just figured that for this much money we may as well go all the way. We liked the 6disc in-dash changer and Michelin tires. The power passenger seat was of marginal value to us, and the memory seats had some value. I like the look of the roof rack but you can always buy and install that yourself.

The memory seats (wife and I both use/fight for the car) and tilt down mirror (in reverse) have proven to be pleasant surprises.

Hope that helps a little.

• Options
    darrelhdarrelh Member Posts: 3
    Cevans2, let me assure you that the "shortage" of MDXs you refer to is not a deliberate attempt by Honda/Acura to keep the prices on the MDX high so that it's dealers can "gouge" their customers. Why do you think that a manufacture would deliberately do such a thing? It is actually in Honda's best interest to pump out as many units as they can because they receive the same price for the car from its dealers who buy the car for "invoice". And while a lot of people on this board like to complain about how much money the dealers are making on the MDX, I have never seen anyone complain about how much money Honda is making on the MDX or any of the other vehicles they manufacture. Honda is actually making more on its vehicles than its dealers are. Take a look at a model like the Acura 3.2TL. Right now Edmunds TMV price for the car is just under $1,000 over dealer invoice (and if you take a look at the Edmunds TL board you will see that most people are actually paying even less than that right now). Do you think Honda is making more than $1,000 per unit right now on the TL? Let me assure you they are and they do not have to stock units in inventory because they ship them to the dealers who pay them invoice price for every one. The same holds true for cars like the Integra, Civic, Accord, CRV, and CL. Trust me if Honda could pump out more MDXs and minivans from the Ontario plant, they would.

Now you might say that Honda could just build another plant to increase production, however that would require a lot of capital investment and long term commitments that Honda obviously thinks would not pay off for them in the long run. In a few years when the demand for the MDX and Odyssey goes down Honda would be stuck with the fixed costs of two plants. Once demand goes down, Honda will be able to keep up with demand for the vehicles and won’t be stuck with the cost of an additional factory.

If a discount is the important factor in your vehicle purchase, you might want to look to another SUV like the ML 320 or the RX 300. Both Lexus and Mercedes are offering discounts on their SUVs right now because they are starting to pile up on dealer lots. Both are very nice SUVs and offer features similar to the MDX. As a matter of fact it's funny to think that Lexus had the same problem in 1998/1999 with the RX 300 that Acura is having with the MDX right now. Can you imagine what would have happened if Lexus increased production of the RX 300 in 1999/2000? If you go to any Lexus dealer right now you will find a good supply of RX 300s in stock and ready for delivery. If Lexus had built more factories to increase production, where would they be today? How long will it take for the MDX to settle down? Nobody knows for sure, but from all indications, it won't be anytime in the near future.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The following message was moved from the A&A message board.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    ardvarkusardvarkus Member Posts: 90
    Have you actually tried the running boards?

I don'tknow how "short" you would need to be for them to be "necessary" but I'd venture it would be in the 4 ft range... really, the MDX is easy to get in and out of. Actually, the running boards will get your pants/dresses dirty.

Try it first.

For pricing, look at www.hondacuraworld.com for the boards. Add 1.5 to 2 hours labor at ANY ACURA DEALER (figure 70 per hour). That's what you should spend.

Ard
  • Options
    nemosnemos Member Posts: 5
    I've been monitoring the board for a while and just picked up my new MDX on Friday (silver with black, came in 3+ months early). For the most part, I love it. I took it last night to pick up some furniture, however, and the second row seats would not fold anywhere near flat. It would have been no problem if the seats folded flat, but the back was at so much of an incline, I had to arrange for delivery of the furniture instead. I have seen people posting about this problem in the past and I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    "The memory seats (wife and I both use/fight for the car)... have proven to be pleasant surprises."

I hear that! I'll never buy another vehicle without memory seats. It definitely keeps the peace in the family. ;-)
  • Options
    darrelh Mar 7, 2001 8:55pm

"As a matter of fact it's funny to think that Lexus had the same problem in 1998/1999 with the RX 300 that Acura is having with the MDX right now."

Yup, folks seem to have a short memory and forget that the RX300 was MT's first SUV of the Year back in 1999. And folks who ended up paying list (or above) back then are getting killed now because Lexus is offering more car at a more competitive price. Maybe one could argue that the RX was overpriced back then and that current prices are more realistic. Who knows?

The MDX market will level off eventually to it's "natural waterline", probably take about a year if history is any indicator.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Changstah, Post #1858 -

Check my post #1823 for an excellent dealer contact in the L.A. area for your MDX at MSRP.
  • Options
    mg75mg75 Member Posts: 2
    During the past few weeks, I've been trying to convince myself not to buy a MDX as I believe it is a bit pricey now. I considered the Highlander, the Envoy, or Grand Cheerokee... My wife keeps pushing me for the MDX and I have to admit it is also my favorite. Has anybody heard about dealers taking orders for the 2002 models?
  • Options
    transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    After several months of use I can truthfully say that I love the MDX's navigation system. I use it several times a week to navigate to new clients or singles parties. The success rate is in the range of 95% for the metropolitan Philadelphia area. Here are my tips:

1. If you're going to the same destination as before (and cannot quite remember all the turns), use the Previous Destination option.

2. If you're going to a fairly well-known public destination, choose the Place option.

3. If step 2 doesn't work, try variations of the place name. If that still doesn't work, choose the Address option. You may have to try variations of the street name.

4. If step 3 doesn't work, then choose the Intersection option.

5. If all the above steps fail, get the trip route from mapquest.com, anywho.com, or DeLorme Streets USA. Then monitor the route on the navigation system's map. Hey, it's better than nothing.

6. For the way back, go to Previous Destination and select your home or office. Simple!

Transpower
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Just been over in the Toyota Sequoia thread where someone was asking if their deal on an SQ was a good one. Here's the deal; a fully (?) loaded SQ Ltd that MSRPs for $44,700. He is apparently getting it for $42,700. Granted his deal represents $2K off MSRP, but it is still over $3000 more than an MDX Touring w/ Nav!!!

I'm not sure how much discount we will see on 2002 models, if any. Hard to predict. I have never in my life paid MSRP for a car, but in this case I can justify it based on the price of the compeition.
  • Options
    railrrailr Member Posts: 36
    I agree, for any accessories give Tim a call at http://www.hondacuraworld.com/ -- his price on the running boards is $426 and your dealer should only charge you about $100 to install them.

BTW Tim also offers special monthly deals to members of http://www.acuramdx.org/ -- check out the thread at http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=806

Rail

------

'01 Mahogany MDX TP w/Nav.

• Options
    Weird - the BBS seems to be adding extra lines when you include a URL in your post - actually [br] and [p] HTML code to posts which you can't edit out (line exceeds 100 characters). No biggie, but it eats up space/page.

Rail
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I think it's a terrific truck, and certainly worth consideration for those wanting a larger SUV. It should be quite reliable, has good power, drives pretty well for a full-sized truck, etc.

However, one thing that's often missing from MDX vs. Sequoia discussions besides price and features is the simple fact that quite a few buyers simply don't want anything that big.

The Seq weighs significantly more than an MDX (and RX300, and ML320, even though the MDX is bigger than both of those, most notably in its width). The Seq is about 15 inches longer than an MDX. While its ride is commendable for its size, it's still not as spry as an MDX, and some of us simply don't want to drive something as large. Not to mention its turning circle is, predictably, much larger. As much concern as some folks have about the width of the MDX fitting into their garage, I'd be worried about us being able to pull the Sequoia's length into ours.

Similarly, folks who want a smaller SUV may find the MDX too big for their tastes. That's their choice too.
  • Options
    Great post William. Having been use to a Pathfinder for 4 years, the RX300 was similar in dimensions and helped influence our choice. The MDX is 1/2' wider. Something like a Tahoe, Seq, etc. is just too huge and silly for my needs. You hit the nail on the head.

All the above are great vehicles, you just have to find one that "fits" you.
  • Options
    thseadoothseadoo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 MDX with 3500 miles and have had many problems. Had to have the rear differential replaced, wheel bearing, front suspension pieces. I have owned the car for 4 months it has been in the shop for a total of 1 month for this period. With the rear differential the dealer kept telling me their was nothing wrong with the car, finally I got the area service rep to look at it. Now when I brake sharply I hear a knock under the car. Has anyone else experienced any of these problems?
  • Options
    rajansrajans Member Posts: 9
    It's silly to compare a full size SUV such as the Seq with a mid size SUV like the MDX. They are in two totally different classes. It's like comparing an Explorer against an Expedition. How many magazines have you ever read where that was done haed to head ?

Motor Trends SUV of the year was the MDX. But I was surprised to discover that the Seq is more vehicle for the money and outperforms the MDX in most arenas where one would normally think that the definition "SUV" was of importance
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    rajans:

Please be careful: You say that it's silly to compare a full-sized SUV like the Sequoia against a mid-sized SUV, such as the MDX. But immediately afterward, you state that the Sequoia is more vehicle for the money than the MDX! Not a smart thing to do among a group of MDX owners! Some of us, such as msu in his post #1870, think much differently, and we could probably debate your assertion on a point-by-point basis. Fortunately, I'm not about to start that debate, because it would be "silly" to compare the two! ;-)
  • Options
    I would not consider SQ vs MDX to be the same as Explorer vs Expedition. There is no comparing the MDX to an Explorer. I own an Expy so am qualified to comment. MDX falls between the Explorer and Expedition. In fact the MDX is just as wide the Expy/SQ. The MDX has more cargo room with its 3rd row folded flat than the Expy/SQ with their 3rd seat tilted forward! No way Explorer can claim that.

Granted the Expy/SQ are larger than the MDX, but the size difference between them is exaggerated greatly. Third seat is larger than MDX but more than adequate for what most people use a third seat for.

Finally MDX handles more like a sport SUV (not as good as X5, so don't get bent out of shape) rather than the truck like handling of the Expy/SQ.
  • Options
    albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Please be specific too! I read the same Motor Trend "SUV of the year" article. MDX actually outperforms the Seq in most areas even with its much smaller size. It clearly shines in the utility/versatility department. As for sportiness, MDX is outperformed only by the X5 with V8 and the Seq is far behind. And at the end, why did they pick MDX if it's outperformed by Seq?
  • Options
    ukkonen7ukkonen7 Member Posts: 22
    Post #1868
    Mg75, I just had my MDX serviced and the sales man said they were into the summer for 2001 MDX's and that they had taken 7 orders aready for the 2002 model. He also said there would probly be very little change in the 2002 version. This was at Burkle Acura in Brooklyn Park, Mn.

In general, we just got back from a 1200 mile trip to Michigan. Going through the UP of Michigan, in the winter, proved to be a good test of the MDX. The MDX tracked true and secure through a variety of snow conditions. Leaving the Detroit area, with busy conditions, to get out of a tight situation I had to accelerate to clear the pack. In just a few seconds I looked at the speedometer and was surprised it read 100 miles per hour. It is peppy. Mileage surprised me also. From St. Ignace to Escanaba, using a calculator, my mileage was 24+. The next fill it was 23. On our return, we drove all day from Saginaw, Mi. to Duluth, Mn. For us the seats were great. No discomfort after we got back late in the evening.

Thanks again for all of you for sharing your thoughts on the MDX.
  • Options
    There's a reason for the "br"'s in brackets, but I forget what it is:-). You can edit them out after you post and close the gaps if you wish.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    whealywhealy Member Posts: 2
    The MDX sits between an Explorer and an Expedition with the two pretty much the average for each of their classes. Acura purposely put their vehicle between the two. They have done this for years. An Accord is larger then a Contour but smaller than a Taurus. They then run adds comparing price on the base line price against the larger vehicle and compare standard options against the lesser vehicle. It’s just their marketing approach.

The Sequoia is Toyota’s attempt to get into the big truck SUV market as the Tundra is to the big truck market. However, they did make it slightly smaller to save costs, but they realize in this market, size does matter.

The biggest thing for me between the two was the safety rating of the previous platforms. The Odyssey on which the MDS is built was in the four star category for roll over. I believe this was the highest rating for any mini-van. Then the Tundra on which the Sequoia is built got the dreaded 1 star. There aren’t many vehicles in the category. I can’t imagine that the Tunda will do well in this test when it’s time come around. I think the MDX has a reasonable chance to get a three star rating which is the best for any SUV so far.

Now I’m not a fan of the rating system that is currently in use for rollover. I think it using obvious math and physics to promote someone’s personal agenda on why SUV’s should not be on the planet. However, when you take a look at max and min ratings by class, the numbers become less skewed. For me, that was the single most important reason in not even considering a Sequoia.
  • Options
    cab71cab71 Member Posts: 3
    OK, I have read everyone debating the Sequoia vs. the MDX. Now that is like comparing my Suburban to an MDX as far as I am concerned. V6 vs V8, different torque levels, different vehicle classes according to the NTSB, and the list goes on. Hey, if I wanted another vehicle that got 12MPG in the city, I would consider a Sequoia, Tahoe, Expedition, Hummer. Well, they are saying by summer the gas prices in Chicago will top $2.50-$3.00 because of the reformulated stuff we are forced to use around here. I support OPEC enough with one vehicle, it is time to get atleast a little sensible.

So my question is for anyone from the Chicago land area, where should we go and who should we talk to in order to avoid the run around like I have read so much about on this board. We have decided after weeks of contemplation about a Highlander Limited, Trail Blazer LTZ, Bravada, Tahoe, amoung others, that we are going to break down and buy a MDX, Touring w/o Navigation.

Here is the story, we have a lease on another vehicle that runs through June, so we are not in hurry to get an MDX tomorrow, but keeping in mind it will take 3-4 months (so a dealer told my wife he could get one by May-June), we can live with the wait. We expect to pay MSRP with the current demand (just like we did when we bought a CRV 4 yrs ago), but don't expect to pay a dime over (which the dealer also told her he would sell one to my wife for) and will probably add a couple options (which the dealer told her he could probably discount 10-20% from MSRP). Since he is making $4K off us on the MDX, I sure the heck hope he can give us 10-20% off a couple add ons. He wants $500 down, which is fully refundable since he knows he can get rid of the car to the next guy if we choose to walk on the deal. All in all it sounds like a fairly good deal and in line with others on the board, BUT we need the car by the end of June and can't afford someone jerking me around come June 1. Basically we will take delivery anytime prior if we have to.

Bottom line, anyone know who is reputable in Chicagoland?

Also, we have a 20' Sport Boat. Weighs about 4K with fuel, and gear. Can this thing really handle it if we add the trailering package? or should I leave that work up to the Suburban and like the 14MPG I am so use to.

Side Step/Running Boards worth the money? How about the hood shield/bug deflector? Haven't seen one on an MDX yet, want to know if is looks decent or if I should save my money.
  • Options
    whealywhealy Member Posts: 2
    When we searched for ours as we were pretty much in the same boat with a lease due to end in May, I called all dealers in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. Didn’t really consider Illinois because I found that the dealers in Kentucky were showing less of a wait than anybody else. I don’t know that this helps, but at least you have some alternatives if you can’t find what you are looking for a little closer to home. I would suggest planning at least a month in advance as the delivery windows seem to be about four weeks in length. As for us, we lucked out. A dealer here in Indy got an extra allotment due to some delivery error. We put our deposit down and were told 2 to 8 weeks. Ten days later it shows up. Not exactly perfect for our lease turn in, but we decided it would work out.
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I am from the northwest suburban area and have taken delivery on my MDX this past wednesday. We dealt with Woodfield Acura and the salesman was Rob Manchester. No special deals but no run around either. We got the car at the going price and was delivered amazingly on time. The deal was smooth and profesional. Stay away from Arlington Acura. I almost didn't buy one at all after my experience there. Long story. Good luck.
  • Options
    nrichznrichz Member Posts: 2
    cab71, If you haven't done so already, check out Acuramdx.org for dealer ratings in the IL area.

We bought ours from Acura of Libertyville and the sales and service staff are top notch. Last I heard the wait is about 2 months.
  • Options
    cab71cab71 Member Posts: 3
    I am also from the NW Chicago Suburbs, so either Woodfield or Libertyville would be ok for me. The sales guy at Woodfield was very helpful to my wife, so since no one is saying anything bad about the dealership, I will probably go there. I also was at Arlington Acura last weekend. The sales guy told me that the wait was 6 months long and they weren't taking deposits, just putting names on a waiting list. My thoughts, "sure they are". I have a feeling they don't want a deposit because they will sell to the highest bidder, no matter where your name is on the "waiting list". Not only that, my wife and I stood in the lobby for 10-15 minutes and no one cared to wait on us. We basically had to tackle a sales guy, and as soon as we said MDX and he wasn't going to make his commission for the day, he was out of there. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll let you know on Monday how things go.
  • Options
    I think CAB71 put it very well. Even the NTSB puts the MDX and Seq in two different classes.

For those who refuse to take the time to go and look at the numbers, I compared a 4WD 2002 Explorer Ltd. with an MDX/Touring and a 4WD Sequoia Ltd. from Edmunds supplied data.

From what I gather, the Explorer is 1 in. longer, same height but 4.9 inches less wide than the MDX. It weighs just 45 lb less than the MDX and tows the same. These two vehicles in my humble opinion are dimensionally and weight wise (and also towing wise) similar enough where they can be rated against each other.

Now the Seq is 15.4 in longer than the MDX, 3.9 in taller and 1 in. wider. It weighs 951 lb more and also tows 2700 lb more.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the MDX is a lot,lot, lot, lot closer to an Explorer than a Sequoia. I can't think why MSU79qt82, one shouldn't compare the two ?

Also I'm afraid I find your statement that the Expy/Seq size difference between the MDX as "greatly exaggerated" to be laughable. The factual measurements tell a different story.

I can't be bothered to dig out similar details for the Expy 4WD Eddie Bauer and compare them against the Seq, but I'm pretty sure that they would be similar enough to warrant them being categorized together.

Come on guys, don't keep putting your heads in the sand. Let's end this silly (yes silly) apples and oranges debate.

As for the comment by cotmc in #1877. I am perfectly entitled to say I'm gettin a lot more vehicle for the money with the Seq over the MDX. Don't the simple dimensions above speak for themselves ? A work colleague made a similar statement just before Christmas when he purchased an Expy XLT for $25,500 (+tax/reg. etc.). He said he could have purchased an Explorer XLT for $23,500 (+tax/reg. etc) at the same dealership. He purchased the Expy because he was getting "a lot more vehicle for the money". I certainly didn't have a bone to pick with him over that statement.

As for vehicle awards, I suspect (although I can never prove it) that there is a lot of money being exchanged under the table. Many other people have voiced similar opinions. A prestigious award can break or make a vehicle and thus obviously vehicle manufacturer's have a lot at stake. It would be totally naive to believe that all's fair in this game. I was informed on the Seq board that the seq won SUV Magazines top award. And that it also won Trailer Boats magazines Tow Vehicle of the Year award. So it depends on which magazines you like reading, I guess ?

Also for your information, we (my wife and I) are one of probably only a handful of households who own both an MDX and a Seq. I feel I'm very qualified to give a subjective opinion on their merits. I have done so on the Seq board back in January (message #865).
  • Options
    rajans-- I think the problem here is that you are not articulating your message clearly here. Your statement "I'm gettin a lot more vehicle for the money with the Seq over the MDX" implies to most people that for the same amount of money the Seq is a better value for the money. But the reality is that they don't cost the same when similarily equipped. If both vehicles could be had for $39.5K fully loaded (the going price for the MDX right now), then yea, one could say the Seq is better.

But since both cost different and have different "classifications", it is apples to oranges, which is not a logical comparison.

Full disclosure: I don't own either, have test driven both, like both of them.
  • Options
    dfc101adfc101a Member Posts: 35
    Your post is a very well thought out attempt to rationalize your thoughts on this subject, but I feel you are missing a few things with your analysis:

1. ANY 2 vehicles CAN be compared.
    The comparison is made by listing out an individuals needs and wants for their potential vehicle versus what the vehicles being compared offer and how they match the requirements. I could easily compare a minivan with a Seq. or Expedition. Many customers HAVE made that very comparison, opting for the SUV because they are insecure with driving a momivan while needing the space a minivan offers. Are these vehicles in the same class - no, but SO WHAT. For their everyday use by most consumers, both serve the same purpose very well - multipurpose vehicles to cart kids around in.

2. Size as a measurement for value.
    The relative size of a vehicle does not indicate value to many others and me. If I could get a Hummer at the same price as an MDX, would the Hummer be a better value because it is huge???? Not for me - the MDX serves my needs MUCH better. Each person equates and rationalizes value. You certainly can rationalize value by vehicle size if you wish, but I submit this is a flawed logic on your part. I for one value the MDX more because it has many of the same features and benefits of a larger vehicle as a Seq./Expedition without the girth.

Finally, even if you had every available new car at your disposal, to say that I cannot compare any 2 vehicles, and the size should be the most important barometer of value is a bit - shall I say - yes, Silly!

DC
  • Options
    I own an Expedition, I am buying an MDX, I looked at the SQ hard! I am not comparing what the books say I am comparing what my butt feels like in all three. My butt has been in an Expy for 3 years, I don't care what some engineer measures with his ruler.

rajans: you admit the MDX is about 5" wider than the Explorer!! That 5" is a lot of butt room for three boys in the back seat. SQ is 1" wider. That 1" does not do much for my three boys butts !!!!!

I have readily admitted that SQ (and Expy) is bigger. But they are not a whole lot bigger which is my point. What part of that point doesn't anyone understand. You don't sit in the books, you sit in the seats!
    Can we say butt on this forum?
  • Options
    rajans: you say the MDX is a lot, lot, lot, lot (yea you used 4 lots) to an Explorer than a Seq. Then you go on to say that Expy is very similar to the Seq although you did not research the Expy. I can assure you through personal experience that the MDX is much closer to an Expy than an Explorer. Your logic has circled back on you so that you have contradicted yourself.

Final Comment: Expy/SQ is bigger than an MDX, but not by much.
  • Options
    Apples and oranges are really very similar:-)

link

Looks like a good weekend for test driving & comparison shopping.

Steve
    Host

• Options
    You are a very sick individual... but I like it!

Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    mogurmogur Member Posts: 1
    always49 apparently posted a copy of a service order for the fix to this (apparently common) MDX problem.
    However, a search on his name could not find the message. If anyone can point me to the message number(s) on this subject, or if he sees this message and can respond directly, I'd appreciate!

-Tom
  • Options
    ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Mogur: The fix for the thud problem appeared sometime in Nov, December postings because I was following this forum since Oct 00.When you find it please post the listing number. There are numerous people with the same problem.I live in NYC(Queens County) and Ihave a few minor problems.When I put my MDX to warm up I hear a whistling sound as if air is flowing thru a hole.I hear this on the outside of the car. When I'm in the car I do not hear the sound.When I put on my directional signal it's barely audible. When the radio is on I don't hear it at all.I constantly have to glance to make sure it's not flashing.I also have that thud problem over bumps.
  • Options
    The message posted about the lube problem is Msg # 1086 in this thread.

Rail
    -------
    '01 MDX Mahogany TP w/Nav.
  • Options
    thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    Your whistling sound is probably the fuel pump, audible @ idle from outside of the car.

It was discussed in the Ody forum here and at acuramdx.org.

It is NORMAL for this car (and the Ody), or at least that's the consensus, anyway.
  • Options
    smcjustsmcjust Member Posts: 4
    Ordered my MDX end of February, intially told July/August, spoke with dealer early March; said not to expect delivery before mid-October. Have been reading postings here and it seems many have received their MDX long ahead of estimated arrival time; wondering if my 6 months wait could be a Boston problem - considering the RX 300 or V70XC at this point. Is the MDX really worth the wait and non-negotiable sticker?
  • Options
    Dfc101a, of course one is free to compare any vehicle with any other. But if we compare a Geo Metro to a Toyota L/C, the comparison isn't meaningful (can you imagine how man laughs GM would get if they produced a brochure doing just that). Extrapolate this logic further and one realizes that a comparison is most meaningful when both vehicles are of a similar size and perform similar roles. It becomes even more meaningful (less silly ?) when the vehicles are equipped to a similar standard (i.e. compare one manufacturer's limited model with another manufacturers equivalent limited model, not a base to a limited).

The example you gave of a minivan versus an SUV highlights what I'm trying to convey. I am already two stages beyond that. I am talking about when one has got past the first hurdle of deciding whether one needs a minivan or SUV, one will be confronted with the dilemma of how much do I have to spend. The next stage would be which size/status SUV or which size/status minivan best fits ones needs. Maybe a mid size SUV fits ones needs better than a full size one (it is is important to realize that there is a distinction between full/mid at this stage which is what is my whole point and what I'm trying to emphasize). In the event that either size would do, then I will maintain that a full size Seq is "more vehicle for the money" than a mid size MDX.

The example you gave of the Hummer versus an MDX is extremely poor. One is a specialized vehicle which costs in the order of twice as much as the other and as you say is vastly different in size. Any comparitive rationalization here would be very hard to reach. That is not the case when we are talking about the MDX and the Seq.

Tonychrys, when did I say that the two vehicles had to be the same price for one to evaluate which is "more vehicle for the money ?" In fact the example I gave was clearly two different prices ($25,500 for the Expy and $23,500 for the Explorer). The fact of the matter is that in many regions of the country a 4WD limited Seq can be purchased within a few hundred dollars of an MDX/Touring with some careful shopping. Now given that information, I'm glad that you
    agree with me that the Seq is "more vehicle for the money".

Msu79gt82, you exasparate me. Just for you I dug out comparitive data on an Expy 4WD EB and a Seq 4WD Ltd. The Expy is 0.7 in. longer, 2.6 in taller and 0.6 in. wider than a Seq. It also weighs 173 lb more and tows 100 lb more. In other words its even bigger than a Seq. Good gracious, given the raw data, how on earth can you say that the MDX is closer to an Expy than to an Explorer ? Please, please realize that when you state that the "Expy/Seq is bigger than an MDX, but not by much", that is just a subjective satement that is of no real value to anyone but yourself. That is my final word on the matter.

For the host Steve, I know that your statement was just light heart humor and I'll try that one the next time I visit the grocery store. Somehow when I get to the cashier, I don't think they'll accept that the oranges are really similar to the apples that happen to be on sale this week !
  • Options
    lqa1273lqa1273 Member Posts: 3
    What kind of monthly payments is everyone out there getting for the MDX.

I got a ridiculous(I think) quote for a MDX touring with NAV, rear deflector, running boards, fender flares and mud flaps

the quote was $5,000 down 42 months
    650.00per month including all taxes(NY 8.25%) and fees
    seems pretty high to me!
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    rajans:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to convince those of us with our heads in the sand to see things from your perspective. Msu, dfc101a, Tonychrys, and myself need to get these facts through our thick skulls:

1) Bigger is Better!
    2) 4WD Seq Limited costs about the same as an MDX. (My MDX was $34,850.)
    3) MDX is similar to Explorer; and far, far away from the Expedition.

With this info, I'm sure Msu will stop comparing his Expy (or the Seq) to the MDX; dfc101a will now wish he had purchased a Yukon XL or an Excursion; and I will stop questioning why you compare the MDX and Seq immediately after you say they cannot be compared.
  • Options
    rajans: Your diligence in looking up numbers out of the book is indeed impressive! One thing I've noticed is that the overwhelming majority of your posts and numbers are merely exterior dimensions. I for one sit, occupy and drive from the inside! I don't mean to sound patronizing but what else can I conclude? What difference do all those exterior dimensions make if indeed the passenger quarters are similar?

I will repeat: The MDX is about 1" narrower than the Expy/SQ. That tranlates to "slightly narrower than" and not "lots, lots, lots, lots (remember the 4 lots?) different"! How can anyone seriously claim that 1" is a huge difference? As for weight, what's the point? As for capacity I can easily prove that MDX has more (much more actually!) cargo room in two-seat mode than Expy/SQ (assuming you take all three seats with you to wherever you are going). How does more room equate to much smaller? Such an outrageously wrong claim is exasperating!

Finally let me admit that as far as third seating goes Expy/SQ is definitely larger. MDX seats 2, whereas Expy/SQ seat three. However, neither Expy nor SQ seat three large adult men comfortably in that 3rd row.

If you want a Street Utility Vehicle then MDX compares very favorably with Expy/SQ in terms of size and is much better in the road handling department. If however you want an off-roading vehicle (I will not say serious off-roading because SQ is not a serious off-road machine!) that will seat eight and tows more than 4500# (MDX tows up to 4500) then Expy/SQ is a better choice.

Unless you sit, occupy and drive from outside your vehicle I do not expect a response.
  • Options
    I like to talk about cars in a logical manner... rajans has his own logic as he goes along. What was I thinking.
  • Options
    houtexanhoutexan Member Posts: 28
    I had my MDX in the shop for 1 day 2 weeks ago and thought it was fixed. It was, for 1 1/2 week and now it's back with a vengence!!! It's getting worse.

I'm bringing it in tomorrow and hope they can once and for all curre that grimmin that's hiding up there.
This discussion has been closed.