Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Leather Seat Maintenance

Comments

• mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    I don't know what made the stain. But I've got a 4-year-old daughter and it might have been her kid's nail polish, candy left on the seat, or perhaps a newspaper I left on the seat.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    My daughter has left marker stains, and paint stains on the light beige leather in my 300M (while I love the car, I love her more), and I used Zaino Z9 to clean it off. It did a very good job on those things - no trace of them now.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to use the "jump" and "scroll" choices that appear under the topic title on this page to read the rest of the posts here.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • unpolireunpolire Member Posts: 7
    Owning several vehicles with FULL leather interiors (door panels, consoles, full seats, including backs and sides...) and one (Italian) with alcantara inserts (like the S4) and headliner, I have found that whenever a manufacturer uses the term, it means, "alcantara cloth," similar to what is known in America as, "ultrasuede." "Suedecloth" is another term sometimes used. I have had the opportunity to see the backside of "alcantara," and it is always fabric-backed. It can fool ANYONE, as it is of the HIGHEST quality and feel. I was SHOCKED to find this the case in a Maserati (who recommend LEXOL, by the way...), that had every surrounding surface in genuine leather. Has anyone encountered a factory usage of GENUINE suede being actually called, "alcantara?" Thanks for your responses with hands on experience.
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Just had the passenger seat bottom cover and the driver seatback cover replaced under warranty on my 2000 Olds Alero, and I noticed today when I picked it up from the shop that the replacement covers do not seem to fit as "tightly" as the the ones they replaced-some puckering and so forth. Will the leather "shrink" a little to provide the glove-tight fit of the original covers? Did they have to "stretch" the new covers a little to get them on, and in a few days they will rebound to a tight fit? Also noticed the replacement covers have a texture to them that the other ones did not-they were perfectly smooth. I assume that after a little while of people sitting on them that this will diminish. Any input appreciated!
  • frogpfrogp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Volvo 850R with seats described as, "graphite seating surfaces are finished in leather with Alcantata(c) suede trim." The suede is also on the door panels.

I've only used a horse-hair brush on the suede: (Griot's Garage [ http://www.griotsgarage.com/ ])
  • lee75lee75 Member Posts: 15
    We'll see if the Leatherique does a good job. I'm sure some of the other high-end products would have done fine. The key is maintaining it and staying away from silicone. I'll post a follow-up after using it for a weeks weeks. BTW, I have a F-150 Supercrew and she's a beauty! Nice inside and able to help me with my dirty chores and fishing gear outside.
  • gregg20gregg20 Member Posts: 17
    Leather does stretch, but that is probably not the reason that you have puckering in your replacement covering. It does not sound like your replacement covers are original if they have a different texture. Also, I don't think that whoever did the replacement can do as good a job 'tightening' up the surface as the people who make hundreds of seats every day. They know all of the tricks. For your original seats, the 'strips' of leather are sewn onto the seat at a supplier such as JCI or Lear who specialize is seat manufacturing. They do this when the seat is out of the vehicle and then ship the seats to the mfr to install in your vehicle.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Has anyone ever had piping added to their leather seats? Or is it impossible? Or ... ?

I'd appreciate any information.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • mervay2mervay2 Member Posts: 20
    I have never had leather seats but have heard they are hot and sticky in summer and cold in winter. Is this true? I will be looking for a new car soon and am wondering if it is worth the investment. I live in central Georgia. Any help would be appreciated
    Once you have them, you won't want any other kind of seat.

I suppose if you drove a black car with black seating surfaces, it could get a bit warm in the summer. I have a white car with a lighter leather interior, and this past summer with temps over 100 degrees, the seats were never "hot and sticky". Last winter, with temps in the single digits, they were no colder than any other car, plus I have a seat heater, so in a matter of seconds, the seats were the warmest part of the car!

My dad first got a car with leather seats about 10 years ago. He lives in Texas, and never complained about them being too hot during the summer. In fact, he was the one who encouraged me to get leather in my new car.
    Thanks for the info :)
  • joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    I think this is a function of wearing pants. I have found that the women in my home (wife and two daughters) really dislike leather seats and complain that they are hot and uncomfortable. You should try to get a Lexus dealer to order a GS300 with cloth seats! They want nothing to do with it. Their explanation is that with a skirt or shorts (their normal driving gear), the backs of their legs get sweaty and stick to the leather in warm weather and get cold in the winter. I prefer leather, but then again, I usually wear long pants or at least longer shorts. As far as I am concerned, in South Florida, they do seem to be slightly warmer in the summer, even when light colored (I would never get a really dark leather interior where I live). In cold weather it doesn't matter to me as I will not likely be wearing short pants. So, in my opinion there is some truth to the complaints, but the durability and ability to clean up spills far outweighs this slight shortcoming IMHO.
    Thanks Joel, appreciate the response :)
  • nally2000nally2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have tan-colored heated leather seats in the VW New Beetle. Certain items of clothing seem to actually stain the seats. For example, my black leather jacket or my husband's leather belt. So I have 3 questions:

1. Can anyone suggest a cleaner that might be able to remove this dye?
    2. If so, what can we use to protect this seats against this in the future?
    3. If not, what is the next best thing? Replacing the seat covers? Changing to a darker leather (yuck)?
  • blautensblautens Member Posts: 14
    I have the same problem with my brown leather belt staining the very light leather on my 99 Alero. Meguiar's Leather Cleaner doesn't touch it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bruce
  • maryg2maryg2 Member Posts: 33
    Just spent over an hour scrolling through this entire site. I was worried about maintaining the leather on my brand new Accord EX, and now I feel like I know what to use and how to get it. I plan to start with the Lexol series of cleaner, wax, and vinylex, but I may also look into Zymol, Zaino, and Hide Food. Thanks so much for all the tips!
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    I just bought a 96 Toyota Camry XLE with 43K that has leather seats. The top part of back seat feels dry. the rest of the seats are fine. I have cleaned and conditioned the seats twice with one of those leather cleaners and conditioners. I will keep cleaning and conditioning the leather in hope of delaying drying and cracking. This spring, I will tint the windows, since the top of the back seat will take most of the beating from the sun.

I will probably never buy another car with leather seats. The leather is rich, and pretty to look at, but I don't like owning a car with leather. Everytime the kids get in the car, I have to check for pens/pencils in their back pockets! My son keeps reminding me that the leather is too cold on his legs after his indoor soccer games, and I am sure I will hear from him after his outdoor games this summer. Objects on the seats slide back and forth, and there are little squeals from the seats.

Once the leather cracks.... how much does it cost to replace it, and how good does it match the rest of the seats?
  • scruplekscruplek Member Posts: 33
    I had an aftermarket leather job done a little over a year ago in my van. I noticed today that the rounded inside corner of a rear captain's chair has a thin crack in it. The windows are tinted, it is parked either in a covered garage or carport. I have only conditioned it once. Is this a defect in the leather or have I imposed the damage by only having conditioned once???? Should I contact the installer to replace it??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There are a lot of factors in premature leather wear....I'd guess it goes this way:

Primary reason---poor quality of leather material (some automakers buy 2nd or 3rd grade)

Other reasons: --exposure to elements, lack of maintenance, and, of course, dogs, kids, etc.

Some of the "leather conditioners" aren't very good either. They are meant for ladies shoes, not for cars. A good product is HIDE FOOD, from Connelly leathers in the UK and available at many dealerships (Lexus, Jaguar, Benz) and occasionally at good auto parts stores.

I often advise people not to get the leather interior, especially on convertibles, or if they have one of those "active lifestyles" as we say in California.

The really best, high quality leathers are only found on the most expensive cars, and even there, you have problems. Ask any early 90s Lexus owner. Leather quality is simply not what it was 50-75 years ago.

Some leathers "dress well" (like American hides) but don't wear well. Hides from Scandanavia are good because they don't use barbed wire, so the hides are often unmarked. I'm told that leather can also be weakened if it is dyed, rather than left natural.
  • dcfelladcfella Member Posts: 31
    How in the world do you know what kind of leather you have and what country it is from?
    Well, you don't really, except you can guess the grade by how much you paid for the car usually. Best way to tell what you're in for is look at the leather on a 5-10 year old version of your current car. Saab and Volvo used to be pretty lousy, Lexus was awful, but all seem better now. Probably responded to numerous complaints. English cars always had great leather, and most German cars had good leather or, like Benz, excellent synthetics that fooled everyone. Italian and American cars usually sport good-looking leather than falls apart soon enough without good care. Just generalizing here from past experience...your results may vary.

But look at it this way....you clean and treat your leather every 3 months, keep it out of direct sun, and keep coffee stains, kids and dog claws off it, and it will last pretty much no matter what you buy. But of course, don't expect the same quality in your Honda as you get in a Rolls or Jaguar.

PS: Takes 5 cows to pave a big 4-door car in leather.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    mine is 6 years old (95 bmw convertible), and other than the bolster on the drivers left side, it's in pretty decent shape... i'm pretty conscientious about treating it regularly, and i believe that's the key... plus as shifty pointed out, all leather isn't created equal...

-Chris
    The left edge of the driver's seat is the first thing to go on a leather interior....after that, the seams go becauset the thread tears through the dry, dead, untreated leather. The thread tears them easily because they have become dry and your weight acts like a little "ripper" for the thread.
  • cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    We just bought a new T&C minivan, which has both leather and suede seats. Can anyone suggest some product for treating both leather and suede surfaces for protection as well as durability? I've used "Hide Food" in the past on an 86 Corvette, and the seats still looks pretty good today! But I wonder what can be used for the suede?

I've been using Armorall(maybe typo!) for most of the cars I've owned for the past 20 years, and its been a very good investment of time with good results. Are there other products out on the market with better results? Thanks.

Cary
  • acordesacordes Member Posts: 2
    I will soon be buying a 2001 Acura TL. I am considering the Ebony (black) or Fern (dk. green/black) leather with a Satin Silver paint. Since I currently have Parchment (tan) interior, I want a change. I live in Phoenix, AZ and am wondering: 1. Is it true that these dark leathers in this car will show wear/cracking of lighter color underneath? 2. Is there any scientific proof that dark exteriors/interiors are that much hotter in summer?
  • stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    Recently purchased 2001.5 Passat with leather and found the following site which seems to sell every type of car care product under the sun: http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/index.html

i dont endorse the site, but it does provide a (unobjective??) description of the products with lots to chose from. hope it helps.

Black will always absorb more heat, and black anything (leather, paint, a dress or pair of pants) shows dirt, distress, tears, etc., more readily than a light color. Just a fact of life.

But if you treat your leather and get a sun shade for windshield and side windows, in most cases your leather shouldn't heat up more than normal in a coupe.
    Meguire's, Mother's or Lexol. The aftermarket manufacturer of my leather kit promotes Mother's. They say Lexol has silcone in it and can void warranty. Lexol says there isn't silicone in it. What to do????
  • dennis1950dennis1950 Member Posts: 33
    Read through the posts and you will find that people like Lexol, Zaino, McGuires, or Hide Food.

Since I am addicted to this board, I bought them all. Hide Food is the best, far and away. It is a cream that is rubbed into the leather, making it softer. My Pathfinder has perforated leather. Since the Hide Food clogs in the perforations, I use Lexol on the perforated sections.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Does anybody know of Canadian outlets for Hide Food?
    Hide Food is the best I think. Lexol is more for shoes and things...it's a runny liquid, while Hide Food is a rich cream that you work into the leather.

Most Jaguar dealers carry Hide Food, so that's one source in Canada
    Just note that Jaguar sells it as Hide Care and in a jar with the Jaguar label. I assume it is the same thing since the back label identifies the maker as Connolly (spelling?).
    Thanks guys, I'll check with a Jaguar dealer near here tomorrow.
    Yep, that's it....made by Connolly Leather......
    So you don't get that "smell" some people have talked about with Hide Food? Something like it going rancid ????
    Don't know about any smell from Hide Food. But it is tests positive for transmitting hoof and mouth and mad cow disease.
    It does smell a bit odd (not bad) for a day or so, but really you are supposed to rub it off briskly after a bit (read the jar). IF you have old leather, it's going to take a few treatments before you notice a difference.
    Got the Hide Care from a Jaguar dealer today. You guys were right, the label says "prepared for Jaguar by Connolly". Pretty reasonable price too, $14 Cdn. I'll get a chance to try it tomorrow after the car's been sitting in the heated shop at work all day. Thanks again for the tip.

P.S., what symptoms should I watch for in case my car catches Mad Cow disease? :o)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Mad Cow Symptoms? Your car will begin to resemble Rosie O'Donnell
  • jasanyjasany Member Posts: 3
    My wife's black leather coat dye somehow rubbed off and into the leather car seat. The car seat is now darkened by the black dye. Any ideas on what to use to clean the seat? Thanks.
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    How about "textured" leather? What's good on that? Is there a problem with getting "Hide Food" in the little holes?
    My seats have sections of perforated leather. The soft paste of Hide Food does clog in the holes so I use Lexol on the perforated sections and Hide Food on the solid leather areas. Use Lexol on textured leather. Hide Food has to be rubbed in and buffed out.
    That's a good method, although with any perforated leather you have to be careful that not too much Lexol (it's a kind of runny liquid) gets under the seat material........
    but I'll mention it again, try applying the Lexol or Zaino or other leather treatments with your hands. I've got perforated seats in my car, and I do not have a problem with excess liquid getting in the perforations. I dunno - it just feels good. Kinky, maybe, but it's your CAR your working with...remember??
    Well, I mentioned earlier that I was having problems with my 1 1/2 year old leather not feeling or looking right. I was successful in getting the four captain's chairs replaced but not the rear bench. It is not really stiff but is really slick to the touch and shiny. I read about Surflex softener and am thinking about starting with that but it is really not extremely stiff. It is less pliable than the newly installed though. I also read about the Hide Food on here and am wondering about seeing if that will soften and take out the shine. I have Lexol at the house but the leather manufacturer says that has silicone in it and will negate my warranty. Lexol says that is a bunch of huey. What will get rid of that slick shiny feel and look? The seat has hardly been sat in and never been treated. Can I salvage it?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    What does everyone prefer? Lexol or the Meguire's(spelling?) Gold Glass leather cleaner and conditioner? the lexol is $9 a bottle for the cleaner and another $9 for the conditioner while the Meguire's is $7 for all in one.
  • jasanyjasany Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at both of these products for leather cleaning and care. What is your opinion of Leatherique s. Hide Food for leather seats in European cars dating from 1998 to 2001. Thanks.
  • rchinnrchinn Member Posts: 23
    I ordered "Rolls Royce Hide Food" which is all the same by Connelly from Continental Auto Sports for $11.50. Call Jason in the Parts dept. (630)655-3535, e-mail - ferrariologist@aol.com. Also I happened to go to the local Toyota dealer (Fremont Toyota in Fremont, CA) today, lo and behold, there in the parts dept.: Connelly Hide Care for $15. So it appears that it is available at other dealers besides Jaguar! Waiting for my order to come in so I haven't used it yet.
    Just used Hide Care on a pair of Sperry Topsiders deck shoes that I could have used as hammers from being wetted so often. They're soft and supple again. The stuff's amazing.
This discussion has been closed.