Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Hey Terry...did Annika make you wear that pretty flowery skirt of hers ;)

Long time, no post. I am thinking of trading in my 2004 Mazda3 sedan for a 2006 Mazda3 hatch in the next month or two. I just got the inspection/emissions done, and it passed, but the dealer said the tires will need to be replaced soon. Do you think it is worth spending $500-600 for new tires, or just trade it in with the worn tires? I am thinking new tires, but I want your expertise Also, what kind of trade-in amount do you think I could get?

Thanks again!!

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Mazda 3
    Body Style: 4 door sedan
    Engine: 2.3 liter 4 cylinder Auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 27000
    Color: Sunlight Silver exterior, Black/red cloth interior
    Major Options: Sport Package (17" wheels/tires, side sills), ABS/SAB/SAC pkg., Xenon/TPMS package, 6CD changer/moonroof
    Condition:
    Interior is in excellent condition, passenger and back seats have been barely sat in , Exterior is in very good condition. A couple slight scratches on the trunk from my mom's purse :cry: Hope these will come out with some rubbing compound.
    Tires - Need to be replaced soon (see comments above)
    Brakes - very good life left
    Maintenance - all maintenance done at dealer, use synthetic oil.
    Other: Did have to get rear bumper replaced, from a slight fender bender (bump at a stop light...hit where it was tough to repair well.). Paint matches perfectly. Should I tell the dealer ;)
  • Options
    tgraysontgrayson Member Posts: 15
    I have two cars that I need to trade in. I live in Groton CT.

2005 Volvo XC70 Blue with Ivory Leather interior. 8100 miles. It has the Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Built in Booster Seats, and is XM ready.

2005 Audi A4 Quattro Red with Black Leather interior. 8200 miles. This has the Ultra Sport Package, Bose Stereo, Cold Weather Package, and XM ready.

Gotta love the emilitary and moves!
  • Options
    notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    thanks for the advice. The rust appears to be localized based on the opinion of the auto body guy I consulted, and easily fixable since the spot is small, and I was going to have that done. Interior shines, upholstery, carpeting, dash, and even the trunk (it's been lined with an indoor outdoor carpet I will remove). Exterior has no bumps or bruises, but does have some typical tiny dings here and there on a door or bumper.

This helps a lot - I might well have started lower
  • Options
    When making a private party sale it seems that it makes sense to have the buyer acknowledge the "as-is" nature of the sale (the car is what it is represented to be but there is no warranty, return, etc). Any sources for the boilerplate text for such a document?
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    IANAL, but you could probably use the same form a dealer uses for the sale of a used car...
  • Options
    aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Terry,

How'd I do. I just sold my Accord on Retail Road.

$15,895
    2003 Honda Accord EX
    38,000 Miles
    Dallas (75247)

Manual Transmission
    4 Door
    Silver Exterior
    Black Interior

Leather
    Sunroof
    Dual Auto Climate Control
    6 Disk CD
    Power Driver Seat
    No dings
    Small scratch on front air dam/spoiler
    All Maintenance up to date
    Tires are original Michelins with about 30k still left on them.
    No french fries hidden in the glove box
    Some signs of leather distress on the driver's seat.
  • Options
    bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    As far as I know, EVERY private party sale is "as-is", whether it is specifically acknowledged on a piece of paper or not. The seller does not have to disclose anything, other than the odometer reading in most states. It is up to you as the buyer to check out the car. A regular private seller is not a dealer nor a mechanic, and they have no way of servicing or guaranteeing a used vehicle.

A buyer could always try small claims court, since it's cheap and informal, but I doubt seriously that any judge worth their salt is going to award a private-party used car buyer with any type of judgement in their favor.

Just my two cents; which is about all my advice is really worth :P
  • Options
    zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    $6,900 *asking* and cut it loose at the first $5,5/$6,5

That's some surprisingly strong numbers for a car that sold new for about 18.5K 11 years ago.
    I'm curious to know - would the value be more for a 2dr 5sp, or for a 4-dr auto.
  • Options
    amshah97amshah97 Member Posts: 10
    Washington DC
    2004 Mazda 3s
    Hatchback/wagon
    2.3L 4cyl Auto
    FWD
    28k miles
    Blue/Black
    abs, side airbags, sunroof, changer, xenon headlights, tpms

interior is clean. exterior has a few hard to notice scratches.
    original tires, 50-75% worn
    original brakes
    have all maintaince records/done on time

A dealer offered $12k as trade-in, carmax offered $13k. I was planning on asking 15.5 to 16 in private party sale. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    how about

honda
    accord
    ex
    v6
    leather
    power everything, sun roof
    cruise control
    75000 miles
    fire red, color
    6 disc changer
    tape player
    what would be a typical trade in on this car
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Terry, my son just totaled his car ..Thankfully, he and the two other cars' drivers are ok.

please advise on what we should expect from insurance, as this is the first time we have had to deal with this.

Tucson, AZ
    2005 Mazda 3 hatch "S"
    2.3 L 4 cyl
    5 speed manual
    15,000 miles
    alloys, ABS, side and curtain airbags, moonroof, 6 disc CD changer after-market tinted windows, AZ legal.

Car was extremely well maintained, dealer serviced, washed weekly, waxed twice in the short time he has owned it.

titanium grey

Sorry for having to ask for this info under these circumstances.

Thanks Terry!
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Terry, a friend of mine is upsizing to an SUV looking for trade-in and retail values for his current car:

Year/Make/Model: 2001/Nissan/Altima GXE
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 2.4L, 4cyl, Automatic
    Driveline:FWD
    Mielage:38000
    Color: Gold/Beige
    Major Options: Power Seat ( Driver) , Single CD, Power Locks, Cruise Control, Dual Front air bags, Power windows
    Condition:Excellent
    Tires: Never changed
    Brakes: Good condition
    Maintenance: Regularly done through dealer
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Just type up a simple bill of sale ("make your own" boilerplate text), & have the buyer sign & date it & give you a copy. Like Terry said, put the part about the ABS in there, + any other semi-major problems, previous major body damage, etc. And check out any Lemon Laws for private party transactions in your state--just stating "as is" might not be enough.....
  • Options
    mark48186mark48186 Member Posts: 21
    Year/Make/Model: 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    Engine: 3.4 liter V6, auto
    Driveline: Front Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 51,000
    Color: Black exterior, gray cloth interior
    Major Options: Moonroof, chrome wheels, Monsoon stereo
    Condition: Standard chips in the hood from the nice Michigan roads. Nothing major, normal wear. Interior is decent, no french fry attacks.
    Tires and brakes were redone last year and are middle of the road. No major maintenance or accidents. AC is cold, heater is hot.

Thinking of possibly getting a new car as this one is paid off and out of warranty, etc. Not sure what time/mileage is a good time. Ideas on private party and trade-in numbers?
  • Options
    aka5aka5 Member Posts: 24
    Hi,
    I have an Audi A4 White 1999 Quattro Turbo leather interior, one previous owner,54,000 miles, full Audi maintenance history. Also has a Kenwood face off tape, radio and 10 disc CD player. I have really looked after this car. Can you tell me how much i would get for this as a trade in? I am getting a 06 A4 model on lease please?
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **As far as I know, EVERY private party sale is "as-is", whether it is specifically acknowledged on a piece of paper or not. The seller does not have to disclose anything ....**

This kinda all "depends" .. and I don't mean the kind you wear ...... do you have disclose the time you ran over the cat in 2001 and that red stuff in the front wheel well isn't paint.? .. or the time the radiator overheated in 2003.? or the time the Mrs. gave birth on the rear seat on 2004.? - probably not .... but when it comes to miles, accidents that have turned a vehicle's title to a salvage or a rebuilt status .. or in this particular case, a potential "possible" maybe safety issue, then it's a really excellent idea to cover your butt ....

The ABS light is a common issue .. as a matter of fact, Bimmers are notorious for it .. I see 2 year old 5's and 7's that do it all the time with 5/10k on em' - it's usually a sensor or the dash computer needs to be rebooted .. maybe in this case that's what it is, maybe more .....

The point being, I wouldn't be concerned about a failure today or in 9 months (properly inspected) .. I would be more concerned with the knothead that purchases the vehicle and wants to come back in 3 years and has dropped 35,000 miles on this dude and then "try's" to blame the last owner because he ran into a mailbox at 65mph in a 25mph speed zone on New Years Eve - keep in mind, the word "responsibility" has dropped out of most peoples vocabulary ..... there's a new girl that's moved into the neighborhood and her name is "SUE" ~ and that's what she does best ... if you don't protect your butt nobody will do it for you ..

Get a copy of a local dealers "AS IS" disclosure .. or try:

Buyer understands and agree's that all known mechanical and history issues have been discussed - and is excepted x._______________

Buyer understands and agree's that the current owner has recommended the vehicle to be professionally inspected before this purchase x. ________________

Buyer understands and agree's that he is buying this vehicles "AS IS" with all existing faults and failures x. __________________

Terry. :surprise:
  • Options
    .. **2002 BMW 325Xi AWD sedan
    2.5 litre 6-cylinder
    Automatic
    36K miles
    Titanium silver with black leather
    Premium package (sunroof, power,etc)
    Heated seats
    No scratches, rips, tears, etc..
    Driven by a little old lady schoolteacher with no kids at home...
    New tires... all dealer maintenance.. up to date.
    Leaves it at home when it snows (go figure?)
    No accident history..
    Looks as nice as an '02 with 36K miles can look...
    In beautiful, sunny, Ft. Wayne, IN..
    What say you on a trade-in number for a new one... ?
    And, also... down retail road?
    Thanks! ..**
    =====================================

"We coulda been a contender ..." .. or so goes the sad fans of the Colts ... at least you're next door to Steelers territory .....

In the meantime ..... we got this little ol' 02 BMW 325Xi AWD sedan that was driven by Granny ... it's got the auto thing going on, we got some small miles, it's a good color anywhere, we got them bun warmers with the Prem pack, we got new round things, serviced and no snow ..... no CPO, right ..?

Ya know the deal by now .... no Popeyes Chicken piled up in the seats, no curb burners, no I took the toll booth out on the Ohio Turnpike ... "If" ~ it's a nice one, clean to the bone and it stands tall .. then trade side, in and around the super tall $18's low/mid $19's, might "maybe" get super duper lucky and maybe get a dealer to stagger towards the tall $19's, big maybe ...... Sounds like a nice driver down Retail Rd .. super bath, great pics and a Donald Trump Ad, then: $22,900 *asking* and wave bye bye at $21,5/$22,5 ...... is this your driver ....?

good luck and let me know ..............

Terry ;)
  • Options
    the thing about the abs is that ABS was predominantly an option on 1995 cars - it's not like the brakes don't work, it's just that the ABS doesn't. This just means that you have a car w/ 4 discs. My guess is that most 11 year old cars out there don't have ABS. The 1995 honda civic and accord didn't have them standard.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    Thanks, Terry...

Not mine... It is actually my sister-in-law's car.. You couldn't pay me to live in Indiana... ;)

The car really is in "mint" condition.. they are obsessive about their cars.. But, you pegged it right where I thought it would be..

I sold my '03 325i to a friend of mine... I leased a new '05 330Ci convertible for my wife.... who hates it.. :surprise: So, who knows what will be next..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    okjeeperokjeeper Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me a real world estimate on this car? :confuse:

2004 Jeep Wrangler X
    Light Khaki Metallic w/ Khaki interior
    Black soft top
    7-Speaker Sound system w/ Sub
    AM/FM/CD
    Alloy wheels
    Cruise Control w/ Lether steerign wheel
    17000 miles
    Great paint and interior, tires have plenty of life in them.
  • Options
    dmwongdmwong Member Posts: 7
    Hi Terry,

I am struggling whether to trade-in or sell my Passat on my own. KBB's price is too low compared to the market price, IMO. This is the car:

2002 Passat GLS, 4cyl, 4DR, silver outside/gray cloth inside, San Francisco,
    40k miles, with 3 months/10k warranty left
    The only option was Monsoon Audio and Tipronic. I think.
    The car is in excellent condition. First owner. Perhaps a few dings here and there.

Any idea of a reasonable private party price vs. trade-in price ?

Thanks in advance
    Daniel
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Just curious how we did.

We listed the following on Ebay.

2003 Acura MDX Touring with Navigation
    61,000 miles
    Exterior: Sage Brush (grayish-gren)
    Interior: Quartz leather (light gray)
    Engine/Transmission: 3.5L V6/5-speed automatic
    Options: Leather, roof, NAV, memory seats, heated seats, BOSE 6-disc changer, dual power seats, keyless
    Accessories: Wood grain steering wheel & Shift knob, roof rack, running boards, factory carpeted mats & all-weather mats, cargo cover, cargo net
    Condition: One 1" scratch on the driver's side door, one small ding in the driver's side passenger door, one slight scuff mark on the rear bumper, and one rock chip on the hood. All are minor and I would assume they are to be expected on a 3 year old car with 61,000 miles.
    Mechanical: Everything works, 60,000 mile service has been done, no known mechancal problems. Drives great.

We sold it for the Buy It Now price of $23,500. The Buy It Now price also included a brand new set of 20" wheels/tires for the MDX that my husband bought a month or so ago. Was that fair for both
  • Options
    weezerificweezerific Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Daewoo Nubira that is a total piece of crap (its a Daewoo for crying out loud), and I've calculated it will actually be cheaper to pay for car payments than repairs when the warranty wears off in a couple months. The problem is, I need all the money I can get selling it, to pay for a new one. I don't intend to rip off a private party, but I'm hoping I'll get a little more than the beans I'd get from a dealer...
    2001 Daewoo Nubira
    4dr, 2.0l, auto, FWD
    33K miles, silver ext/gray int,
    dealer installed cruise control,
    exterior has some minor damage, a dent I'll probably get fixed. 2 new tires, new brakes (pads&rotors), new cat converter, new control arms, 30K service
    I need out of this terrible car hell!
  • Options
    neergassilemneergassilem Member Posts: 1
    Help. I have a late model 2000 Ford Focus SE sedan, silver w/ gray cloth interior, CD player, manual, power everything, no stains, scratches, minor scuffs on outside with 76,000 miles in St. Louis. Right now it is dirty. My husband says I won't get anything for a dealer trade in and that it doesn't matter if the car is clean or not. I disagree. We might by the car tomorrow (2/4/06). Which one of us is right and what price would you get in the St. Louis area? Not many SE sedans seem to be for sale here. Thank you.
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Where does the car live? (not that it really matters much)

Retail road it is worth in and around the $2000 mark if you are lucky enough to find a buyer. Make sure you inform the buyer that it will need a new timing belt and tensioner around 40K, ignore the owners manual. When it breaks it will trash the engine, known common problem on the GM/Holden engine in these (and the Isuzu as well).

Might get a dealer to wander up to the $1000 mark on trade.

Some cities do not have a former Daewoo dealer that is still taking care of owners, while other cities have great former Daewoo dealers who are trying to keep a customer for the next new car sale. This simple factor alone will affect the ease with which you could sell it yourself.
  • Options
    ... ** is that ABS was predominantly an option on 1995 cars - it's not like the brakes don't work, it's just that the ABS doesn't ..**

I understood your post and I'm very familiar with your vehicle ..... but I think you might have missed the point ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ... **I'm curious to know - would the value be more for a 2dr 5sp, or for a 4-dr auto ...**

It depends on the year and the vehicle .... if it's an 01/05, then you're probably going to take a $1,500+ beating (depending on the miles) ... when you're going back 8/12 years then it almost becomes a "push" .. the reason being is that the days of a $500/$1,000 have been over for quite some time -- and "usually" you can always find a buyer for a clean low mileage reputable vehicle that is 8/10 years old .....

Buicks are a perfect example .. I just ran an 96 Century Custom V6 with 77k thru the auction, the rubber was deep, the air was cold, the vehicle was cared for and the interior wasn't all burned out from the Florida sun, it looked and drove like 25k - and it did $2,700 ... I'm sure that buying dealer will probably see all of the low/mid $4's down Retail Rd ..

Terry.
  • Options
    .. **We sold it for the Buy It Now price of $23,500. The Buy It Now price also included a brand new set of 20" wheels/tires for the MDX that my husband bought a month or so ago. Was that fair for both ...**

That was very fair for both ..... 61k on an 03 is probably worth the strong $19/$20ish figure to a dealer come trade side .... and of course the new buyer gets the "bling" that a dealer really doesn't care about .. so you did good.!

Terry.
  • Options
    I got your earlier point, but it was at odds w/ the valuation tools on various sites that only change the value of a vehicle by about $100 if you addd ABS
  • Options
    trackerdantrackerdan Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1988 Honda Prelude from my cousins husband. He bought it from the original owner and it is in very clean excellent condition. It is not mint by anymeans; but it has never been hit and runs great. It has 133,000 miles on it. He wants $2000.00 for it. I thought that was a fair/good price until I did an online Kelly Blue Book and it came out $1500 - $1700. He doesn't seem to know when the timing belt/water pump was replaced. Also the A/C does not blow very cold. He claims the original owner had it serviced by the dealer regularly. I would be much obliged for any information you folks can assist me with. I am going try and include some pictures. The vehicle is located by Sacramento, California 95608. Thanks.
    imageimage
  • Options
    He will easily get $2,000 for it if it doesn't smoke, runs and drives good. Especially in the land of the Governator.

There are lots of people who would pay the $2000 in order to put $3000 in modifications into it to make it a rice- burner.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    ... I thought that was a fair/good price until I did an online Kelly Blue Book ...

You gotta be kidding me. This thing was built the day I met my wife, and 18 years later you want to look up in some book what it's worth?

On a car this old, it's all in the condition... if it's all there, it's easily worth two grand -- if not to you, then to some kid who wants to mod it.

Just as easily, it can be a money pit.

Forget the books when a car gets past ten years. Better yet, forget them entirely.

-Mathias
  • Options
    bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    If it's all there and it runs and drives decent, you'd better scrape up your $2,000 and get there in a hurry. A decent looking older used Honda like that one will sell in a heartbeat where I live. I could put that in the local paper for $2,500 and be rid of it within a day or two.
  • Options
    trackerdantrackerdan Member Posts: 6
    Year/Make/Model: 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI
    Body Style: 2 door sedan
    Engine: 2.0liter I4, 5 speed
    Mileage: 133,000
    Color: Dark blue exterior, dark blue fabric interior
    Major Options: Moonroof, pw, pd
    Condition: never been wrecked, straight body, original paint and glass. Top of backseat has some fade from sun through back window. A/C cools moderately. Interior carpeting in excellent condition, no visible wear to flooring carpets & mats. Runs, drives and handles very nice.

It has been requested that I repost using the correct format.
    Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1988 Honda Prelude from my cousins husband. He bought it from the original owner and it is in very clean excellent condition. It is not mint by anymeans; but it has never been hit and runs great. It has 133,000 miles on it. He wants $2000.00 for it. I thought that was a fair/good price until I did an online Kelly Blue Book and it came out $1500 - $1700. He doesn't seem to know when the timing belt/water pump was replaced. Also the A/C does not blow very cold. He claims the original owner had it serviced by the dealer regularly. I would be much obliged for any information you folks can assist me with. I am going try and include some pictures. The vehicle is located by Sacramento, California 95608. Thanks.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    That is probably the cleanest looking 18-year-old Honda you will find anywhere. I'd be there with $2,000 in cash even if it needed a timing belt.
  • Options
    Ditto, if it were near me, the actual value would be a moot point for the OP as it would already be sold at $2000.

With all the maintenance, timing belt, fluids, etc up to date. That particular car would still bring in the mid $3K's. From the pictures it definitely is one of the nicest looking 18 year old cars I have seen in a long time.

Don't wait for a value dude, buy it after having your mechanic give it a quick once over.
  • Options
    .. **Location: Sacramento, California 95608
    Year/Make/Model: 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI
    Body Style: 2 door sedan
    Engine: 2.0liter I4, 5 speed
    Mileage: 133,000
    Color: Dark blue exterior, dark blue fabric interior
    Major Options: Moonroof, pw, pd
    Condition: never been wrecked, straight body, original paint and glass. Top of backseat has some fade from sun through back window. A/C cools moderately. Interior carpeting in excellent condition, no visible wear to flooring carpets & mats. Runs, drives and handles very nice.

It has been requested that I repost using the correct format.
    =============================================

I can't tell much from the pics (but thank you) .. the rain drops hide most of it, thats why I never buy a car in the rain .....

But anywaaaay ......... it's 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI with 135k .... unless this little dude was in a train wreck, the oil hasn't been changed since the Clinton days, the clutch is in another county and Billy Bob painted it with a screwdriver last week .. then this little All-star is worth all of $2,000 .. it would probably do $2,500 at the Riverside Auction on a good day ....

.."books smooks" .. like Mathias mentioned .. unless it has a piston popping out of the hood and the slider doesn't work, this would probably see the strong $4/$5's (properly done - air or no air) out there in Kalifurnia on the Retail Side .....

.. spend $150 and get a top mechanic and get an eye full.... how bad of a mistake can you make for $2grand ...?

Terry.
  • Options
    imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    At lease end, already had lease end inspection.

Year/Make/Model: 2003 VW Golf GL (non turbo)
    Body Style: 2 door
    Engine: 4 cylinder, auto
    Driveline:
    Mileage: 25,000
    Color: Silver ext, Blk int
    Major Options: CD, AC
    Condition:
    Clean, no door dings, couple of hood rock chips
    Tires - 50% worn
    Brakes - fine
    Maintenance - all up to date
    Other: None, one of the cleanest cars per inspection.

Looking to sell by owner, but may trade up to ? Thanks!
  • Options
    dmonizdmoniz Member Posts: 15
    Hello Terry (rroyce10),

I was told you may be able to tell me if the used car I'm considering is worth the asking price. Here's the details:

zip code - 01746 - West of Boston - Holliston, MA
    2000 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
    62,300 miles
    2.0 liter 4 cyl Turbo
    Silver/black top
    spoiler/alloys/heated lthr
    near perfect condition
    asking price is $12,998

What's a good price to offer?
    Thanks for your help.
    Dave
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    starts and ends in your driveway usually.

That is, yes it means local paper/pennysaver/print up flyers for the local BB, etc. IOW, seeling it yourself.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Few questions to ponder here:
    Do you have another vehicle in reasonably good and reliable shape to drive?
    What $$ is left on the note for the Navigator and the payment amounts?
    Can we assume you have found gainful employment, if not at the same $$ level as before?

You might just find that you will be better off taking the short term interest rate hit and refinance it longer term. You need to run the numbers and explain the situation a little more though.

BTW the gas mileage penalty between it and a car that gets 30mpg is only going to be $1200-1800 approximate per year.
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Hi dk;

I don't mind discussing this. I appreciate your input. I do have other vehicles, 5 of em in fact, though 2 are beaters. So somethin's gotta go. The Nav is the best and newest of the bunch. And it does have 30,000 left on it's warrantee so that's a big plus. Everything else is out of warrantee. Course, even if I had to put a tranny in one of the others, that would only be one monthly payment on the Navigator! :<(
    I have not as yet found another job. In fact, I have not yet looked for another job. In fact I am SICK SICK SICK of workin for the man! :>) I am going to try to make a buck doing my own thing this year and I'm sure even if sucessful, I'll have a lot less $$$ than if I was working for a salary. But at least I know if I ask my boss (ME) for a day off, he'll say 'Yes'. That's worth something.

Specifics? I owe about $29K on the Nav, payments are $1250/mo (yeah I know! but I financed everything and got a short loan)

I have thought about refinancing the Nav for another year, but that'll only get me down to what, about $850/mo? Still a big number for Mr self-employed here.

Now I do have another vehicle I could see getting rid of instead. That'd be my 2003 Explorer Sport Trac. I want to keep one or the other cause I want the 4X4 capability. The ST has only 20,000 on it, but the warrantee is kaput. It is paid for though, so I'd get a nice chunk of change if I sold it. It does get about 20% better mpg than the Nav, plus it runs on regular, so that's another 10% or so less. But it's only about 1/2 the vehicle the Nav is in most ways. Course if I want to do some bush-whacking, I'd sooner be in it than the big guy.

Anyway, I'm certainly open to arguments on selling the Sport Trac and keeping the Navigator. THe cost difference is probably about $11,000 plus gas plus extra insurance.
  • Options
    Ok, here goes. First thing you need to do is in a single post, post ALL the vehicles you currently have using the form below. Once you have the trade and the private party prices for all, then you can make the intelligent decision on which ones need to leave your estate.

You very well might find that the Explorer will be the easier vehicle to private party sell, along with the two beaters. You also need to think about the insurance cost on that many vehicles.

In the end you could very well end up scraping up enough to get the amount owed on the Nav way down and then refinance it with most of your newly found cash towards the Nav's principal.
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
    Black with champagne interior
    11,000 miles
    Pretty much every option imaginable - THX audio, navi, moonroof, park assist, towing pkg, sat radio, *no rear seat DVD*
    Like new condition, no damage, no accidents, no nothing.
    in E. Tenn.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've done that here, don't wanna bore you all with it.

You're right, the Sport Trac might be easier to sell. Did I mention there are 3 drivers here and so I need 3 vehicles avail. And there's 5 in the family, 2 in car seats! That's one reason for the Nav - few cars can fit 3 in the back, 2 in car seats. Let alone take a family of 5 on a car vacation.
  • Options
    bmw4me2bmw4me2 Member Posts: 55
    Hi Terry,
    I was wondering if you could help me with a price on a 2005 Mercedes Benz SLK350 that I'm looking at in Sarasota, Florida (zip 34238). It has automatic transmission & 6 disc CD player. No power seat. Car has only 2,500 miles and is silver. No knicks or scratches and a clean Car Fax.
    Thanks for all you do. We all appreciate your help! :)
  • Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    I'm thinking about buying a new Volvo C70 convertible, via European delivery, possibly later this year (they're not available via ED until Sept.) or perhaps next spring (2007). I can be patient; we want to do the ED program rather than buy here partly to visit my husband's family and several friends in Europe.

In the meantime, I've also been looking at ads for slightly used Toyota Solaras, because I'd love to have a convert for the summer. I don't want to invest a lot, since I'm also saving for the C70.

Most of the ads for the Solara that I've seen are in the low to mid 20's for a car two or three years old. Do you think it would be possible to buy a used Solara now, and sell it in October for maybe 1 to 2k less than current prices? Would this be more likely on a three year old car or on a newer two year old version?

Related question: for resale value, is it better to get a car with all the bells and whistles (leather seats, upgraded sound system, etc.) or not so much? I would definitely get the traction control upgrade, not so sure about the rest.

Thanks.
  • Options
    biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Forgot to add - I'm in the northern Virginia area, just outside of Washington, D.C. Could buy/sell either here or in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina.
  • Options
    mark48186mark48186 Member Posts: 21
    Year/Make/Model: 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    Engine: 3.4 liter V6, auto
    Mileage: 51,000
    Color: Black exterior, gray cloth interior
    Major Options: Moonroof, chrome wheels, Monsoon stereo
    Condition: Standard chips in the hood from the nice Michigan roads. Nothing major, normal wear. Interior is decent, no french fry attacks.
    Tires and brakes were redone last year and are middle of the road. No major maintenance or accidents. AC is cold, heater is hot.

Thinking of possibly getting a new car as this one is paid off and out of warranty, etc. Not sure what time/mileage is a good time. Ideas on private party and trade-in numbers?
  • Options
    Hi Terry;
    You helped me a year ago and I'm back for more. I've got a BIG SUV I need to sell because the boss gave me an unexpected Xmas bonus - an empty cardboard box to put my stuff in and permission to go home early the Fri before Xmas, thanks a lot.

So I've got this big beautiful Lincoln Navigator that I really love, but I got 2 more years of payments on it and of course the gas mileage doesn't help. So here's the facts:
    2004 Navigator Ultimate with ALL options except the pop-out running boards. (Sticker was north of $63K-not that I paid that much)
    Exterior is Merlot,
    interior light grey.
    4X4, Nav system, DVD, rear air, the works.
    It's in fantastic shape. No nuthin anywhere except a little ding on the front bumper from a rock that wouldn't get out of my wife's way.
    It's got only 19K miles and looks it. Tires, everything look great. Maintenance up to snuff. In short, it's cherry.

So, kbb says private party around $39000. Think I can get that? ANd when u say retail road, do u mean ad in the local paper, or something more?