Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **Sometimes it is who you know, not what you know .... **

Ya got that right.! .... and in your case, you did Great, whatever the reason .... come those 90 degree+ days and you'd had better luck trying to trade in a dead canary instead of a black car in Vegas ..... the car gods are with you, enjoy the new ride - nice cars.!

Terry :shades:
    ... ** Looked some more and bought a "No Sale Green" (so dark I thought it was black!) 03 GS convenience (with traction and adjustable pedals) grey leather, CD/Cassette premium stereo with 21K on the clock. Came CPO and got a bumper-to-bumper warranty to 75K. $11K!
    They gave me $3100 for the Intrigue and I hadn't even washed it or vacuumed the leaves from the cowl!
    I'm happy, the dealer's happy, and I'm back in a V8 RWD car again!
    Thanks again for your service!**
    ===================================

And speaking of black cars ...l.o.l.....

Like you said: "I'm happy, the dealer's happy ...."

Enjoy.! ... just get some of those fake llama skins for the front seats ..l.o.l....

Thanks for the update .....!

Terry ;)
    ..... Mathias is all over this one ....

Even in "Hotfurd" you'd be able to roll this down Retail Rd and have a much better result ..... maybe see the low/mid $4's, might "maybe" see the low low low low low $5's on the trade side ...... 100k+ with the V6, the handshaker and a dance with the detail guys and a superb Ad, then: $7,900 *asking* and wave bye bye at the first $6,9/$7,5 ...... like Mathias said, it won't last long (properly done) ....

Terry. :)
    .. **Terry - its only been 5 months, but i was at the Honda dealer test driving a 6-speed Accord today. REal nice car, not to mention it actually has a bigger back seat than the Lincoln. Honda is running sweet lease deals ... but here is the catch ... the dealer hit me REALLY low on the LS. I find it hard to believe this puppy went downhill $5k in 5 months ... so please gimme the skinny ...
    '03 LS V8 Sport. 35k tiny miles. All loaded up with the tunes, slider, traction control, etc, etc. Only thing missing is the Navigation. Medium blue over tan skins in NJ..**
    =============================

Well ...... Honda dealers aren't really known for jumpin'-in feet first into anything unless it's a Honda .... so lets see how this works out..l.o.l..

We gots this 03 Lincoln LS ... we gots the V8, a little sport action, we gots dem' tiny 35,000 miles staring at us in the dash thingy, we gots the hole in the roof, a little traction control, the color combo works and we gots the big tunes .......

IF~~~~~ we've got deep sneaks, no Dutch Boys, service is complete and we haven't used the interior for a chemistry experiment .... then trade side, in and around the super ultra tall $15's low/mid $16's ..... if it needs stuff, start deducting ....... what was their offer..?

Terry. :shades:
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    I hear you, Mathias.

I have been looking for one of these in a stick for awhile; preference is used, but the only one I have found in the past 3 months sold an hour before I got there to see it. Finding a new one isn't much easier.

If I could track down a used AT for $19k, I might be able to live with that. Cripes, I keep seeing the used 02-03 LL Bean Outbacks with 60k miles going for 18k! May be a good time to snap up a XT while they are still off the radar...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    If I could track down a used AT for $19k

$19, maybe 20 is the price for a brand-new '06 X with a stick... and around here, they're findable. Easy for me to say, the dealer is 3 blocks away...

I'd try to do a locate and dealer trade before I paid that kinda money used.

-Mathias
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    True, but now we are comparing a X to an XT, which adds 60hp, and all of the doo-dads you'd find in a XS like heated seats/cold weather pack, climate control, stereo that goes to 11, etc versus the X. But it is a good point...new is good. MSRP (before rebates) for a '06 X is $21795 vs. $27895 for the XT. That turbo is spendy. Maybe this is where the $19k 04 XT starts to look pretty good vs a new XT :confuse:

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    My brother just purchased an 03 LS v-8, black with the moonroof, just off a 3 year lease with around 34,700 miles. CPO by Lincoln, he paid $19,990.

This is in Ohio - dealer said he could go no lower due to the amount the CPO cost them. I don't think they took him on the trade, as he traded a 99 Neon "Expresso", which they promptly took to auction.

Not a bad jump, from a Neon to a Lincoln LS V-8, so I don't think the trade value given on such was that hot.
    .... Lets say the dealer dropped $16,500 into the LS ... he does a little this, a little that - $300 .. maybe some rubber - $300 .. and then he drops the CPO on it - $900 .... it probably hit the table at in and around the $18ish figure ......

... $19,990..? ... the dealer might have made $1,900ish on the LS .. lets say he broke even on the Expresso, so he might have netted $1,100/$1,200 after the commissions and the floorplan ..... nobody got rich, nobody retired and nobody is goin' to Cabo San Lucas for any sport fishin' for a week .... but your brother got a nice car for the $$ ........

Terry. ;)
  • brandloyalbrandloyal Member Posts: 27
    Hi Terry, whats up with having to post this question 3 times before getting an answer. Many other posters (including Hondas) get replied to but mine continuously gets passed over. Whats up with that??

Lease is ending and I'm wondering if there is equity in the car so I can trade in and purchase a new Honda.

Lexington, MA
    2003 Accord EX V6
    4Dr
    3.0 liter V6, FWD
    33K miles
    Nighthawk Black/Tan leather
    No Optional equip
    one tiny ding, no scratches, no repairs
    Tires 3/4 worn
    Brake pads 50% worn
    All service up to date
    No damage
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    You may want to try a pretty please with cherries on top.

Seriously though, Terry's system in not like the deli where you take a number and wait.I think he does the easy appraisals and any that are interesting to him.

Sit tight and keep reposting, he'll get to you if you ask nicely.
  • txag1995txag1995 Member Posts: 7
    What should I offer? They want $24,980.

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Step Side

Vin: 1FTPX04505KC08214
    5.4L V8
    Auto
    Houston, Tx
    12,036 Miles

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Step Side with Silver Clearcoat Metallic/Dark Shadow Grey Clearcoat Metallic Exterior, Gray Interior. Loaded with Black Tubular Running Boards, Power Adjustable Pedals, Trailer Tow Package, AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer, Power Driver Seat, Sport Cloth Flint Captain`s Chairs w/Console and Floor Shifter, 18" Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels, License Plate Bracket, Power Sliding Rear Window and More!!
    .. **Hello all.

I'm looking for trade & private sale numbers for:
    Kansas City area
    2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SLT+ 2WD, Dark garnet red/silver two tone, dark grey cloth inside.
    4.7l V-8, Auto tranny, two wheel drive, 42,000 miles, 16" alloys, pretty well loaded.
    Major options:
    Bucket seats, overhead Convenience Group (overhead console, auto-dim rearview, homelink & trip computer)
    Heated folding outside mirrors, leather wrapped steering wheel,all power except seats, anti-spin diff, fog lights, etc.
    It's in pretty good shape for a 4 year old. no dents, not eaten or smoked in, and if you ask me looks pretty darn good when cleaned up.
    All maint. is good, new tires, front rotors & pads about 5,000 miles ago. Also, I installed a roll-up soft tonneau cover. When it was about six months old, I ran over Bambi.
    As a result, the right front fender & headlight assy. was replaced, the hood, bumper cover & entire right side was "reconditioned". The repair was excellent, only cosmetic damage, and I dont think most people could tell anything happened without looking for it.**
    =========================

Good description .......................... tanks.

A Kansas City Bomber, huh..? ... let's take a look see .... it's a 02 Doe Je' Ja'kota .. it's the Club Cab, SLT, it's a 2wd with 42k Minnie miles .. the color combo is good for the area, it's the 4.7, we got the auto action, some 16's, conv pack, foggers, 100% service, newer stoppers and round things, we got a little bed cover ------ and you Killed Bambi.? .. :cry:

*-Depending-* on the finish work and the Carsmack .. meaning: no 3 tone paint and it drives/looks and feels like an 05 ..... then trade side, in and around the low/mid $8's, might "maybe" see a dealer struggle towards the $9 figure, maybe .... it will all depend on the finish work .. all and all, it sounds like a nice truck .. that said - "sounds" and "looks" are 2 different things .....

Down the winding path to Retail Rd ... a superb detail, a better Fat daddy Ad and: $10,495 *asking* and send it south for the first $9,5/$9,900 ... again, it will all depend on the finish and the history ... folks like to be at $10 or less in this price category.

Don't forget the UPDATE.!

• robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Any idea if Subaru sedans command the same kind of crazy money as the wagons?
    ..... I dunno, you tell me ......

dealers will roll into the strong $16's for 04 Legacy GT's with 20k .. the base 04 "L's" will rattle the $14's at the auctions ... that kinda means the $18's+ for door #1, and the $16's for door #2 on the retail side ...

.. what price glory ..............?

Terry. ;)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Terry.....way off topic....but got in 9 holes yesterday with the Acura sales manager. Weather definitely was a factor in not being able to go 18. Greens/fairways were "squishy".....no carts.

Results? I shot 44. "Mr 70s sales manager" shot a 48. Took some $$$ from him. Plus, he picked up the greens fees and a couple of "sodas". He gave me some "Acura" golf balls, too.

So much for him shooting in the 70s.

Just a little update.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I paid ~$20,500 for my CPO'd '03 LS V8 5 months ago ... so I'm not complaining by any means (thanks to Terry).

Back then, IIRC, Terry hit it at about $18k-$18.5k on the wholesale side.

So I'm a bit surprised at the $16.5k number ... but not by much. I was actually anticipating about $17k.

Terry, the dealer hit it at $13.5. Pretty ridiculous, but I knew it and didn't fuss one bit. I thanked them for the test drive of their fine car and left. There is nothing wrong with the car. As a matter of fact, they complimented me on the condition, miles, etc. BUT, "gas prices mean nobody wants a V8, blah, blah, blah." Whatever. It doesn't hurt me in the least to keep it.

NOW, onto other things ... we are getting ready to cut the Volvo loose from the herd. Yeah, yeah, I just want to go car buying... i know. ANYHOO ... I'm thinking a $5500 asking and $4500 taking down retail road. What thinks ya?

'98 Volvo S70 T5 auto. Cowskins, slider, traction, CD/tape, bun warmers, etc. 115k miles. New shoes, all maintenance tip top (and then some). Interior is in nice shape. Outside has a few scratches (heck, its like 9 years old). We had that $2k kiss to the right-front fender a couple of years back, but you'd never know it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

q....don't know how far away from Chicago you are, but I go there quite a bit on business. Every time I open up the Tribune, there's an ad from Grand Honda. They advertise some of the best prices I've ever seen on all Hondas.....anywhere....by a large amount. They also state their doc fees (about $50-$60) and always state their prices include destination chargers, exact options, etc in thier ad prices. They SEEM to be on the up and up.

You might want to give them a jingle.....

http://www.grandhonda.com/
    i'm far away ... but, in any case, I'm not pursuing it anymore. I was kind of relieved they hit me so low. It made up my mind for me. My wife was very on-edge about the whole thing (getting rid of this car so soon. getting tied into a 3-year lease after we said we'd never lease again. etc.). I worked hard to get her to agree to do it at a certain price. When they didn't even come close, it just solved any tough decision we may have had to face and any arguing I may have had to face to convince her to let me sign the papers. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nonjth13nonjth13 Member Posts: 91
    Back again with this one. Decided not to off load last year but I'm ready for something new.

2003 Audi A4 3.0 Avant 25.000 mi new 4/03 Albany, NY area
    Atlas Gray, Tan interior
    Cold pkg, rear air bags
    no smoking and never raced or wrecked.
    fully serviced could pass for a 10000 mi car easy.
    Will trade in as I don't want to sell a car like this my self.

As always thanks for your time John
  • slurisluri Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2000 4runner in philly area with 60000 miles. it was bought in 2001 as a showroom left over. It has had all maintanance through toyota dealer. it has a small ding on the rear bumper (chrome only). it is sr5 4x4, running boards, bigger rimbs, cd, hood def, sunroof, sunroof dif, rear diflector, rear differential, taneo cover etc, upgraded alarm system etc. it was stickered at 32500 when i bought it. it is in great cosmetic shape, new tires etc. how much should i expect for a trade in versus sale by hand. the only thing it doesn't have is leather in it and it pretty much has all other options.
    thanks
    sluri
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier base model - Black, 5 speed, moonroof and 43000 miles. Runs excellent and no accidents. Tires are good - 70% left. I know cav's are not worth much, but it is what I have!

La Plata, Md. - 30 miles south of D.C.
  • juliefjulief Member Posts: 4
    Hi Bill,
    I have a lancer that we have had on Auto Trader online and paper for 2 months as well as the leading Atlanta paper online. We have gotten NO calls at all on the car and have it listed at $10,000. This price is only because we still owe this much on it. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Here are the stats:

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
    Body Style: 4 door
    Engine: 4 cylinder, auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 43K
    Color: White exterior/ Grey Cloth interior
    Major Options: none
    Condition:
    Interior in great condition - no problems with cloth
    Exterior - few door dings from other cars
    Tires - all 4 90% new
    Brakes - front new, originals in the back
    Maintenance - oil changed every 4K miles
    Other: no other damage or insurance claims
    q....you need a 'vette. Give the little lady the LS. I'm behind you all the way on that transaction...... :P
  • kapbotkapbot Member Posts: 113
    Good description .......................... tanks.

A Kansas City Bomber, huh..? ... let's take a look see .... it's a 02 Doe Je' Ja'kota .. it's the Club Cab, SLT, it's a 2wd with 42k Minnie miles .. the color combo is good for the area, it's the 4.7, we got the auto action, some 16's, conv pack, foggers, 100% service, newer stoppers and round things, we got a little bed cover ------ and you Killed Bambi.? ..

*-Depending-* on the finish work and the Carsmack .. meaning: no 3 tone paint and it drives/looks and feels like an 05 ..... then trade side, in and around the low/mid $8's, might "maybe" see a dealer struggle towards the $9 figure, maybe .... it will all depend on the finish work .. all and all, it sounds like a nice truck .. that said - "sounds" and "looks" are 2 different things .....

Thanks, pretty close to "TMV". Of course, they don't let you deduct for prior damage... Also, I didn't kill Bambi, he croaked after some good sam's tried to move him off the highway. He woke up, freaked out & bolted right into the front of an 18 wheeler. Most disgusting sound I have ever heard. Anyway, as you good folks might know, some very nasty weather worked it's way through the midwest Sunday. Many tornados and a few souls lost. We got some bad hail in my area and my truck got a few hail dents on it. The insurance adjuster hasn't been around yet, but can anyone offer advice on how to decide to repair, or just take the hit & add the insurance payment to my down payment? On a trade in, of course. If I thought I was going to keep this thing 'till the bitter end, I wouldn't even bring it up. I was looking to maybe buy a new GTI at the end of the month.
    Thanks, Terry! Thanks to anyone with any ideas.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I got a guy literaly shopping me all across the country for a used 2004 Discovery and on his trade a 2000 Mercedes CL500.

I can handle the numbers on the Disco fine but I know I am getting screwed on his trade.

Specficly he is saying someone out in the windy city is offering him 31,500 for his Merc. I can't come anywhere close to this and although I have delt with this guy in the past and he is always been straight I am wondering if he is blowing smoke up my tail pipe here.

Is the market really that much different in Chicago that he can get that much for the mercedes?

Here is the low down on the Mercedes.

ocation: [city/state or nearest metropolitan area]
    200/Mercedes/CL500:
    Coupe but you know that
    5.0 but not the ford version and of course auto since Mercedes doesn't know how to make a manual sports car
    RWD
    Mileage: 66,000
    Color: Silver outside and gray gut
    Appears to have every option on it but I know there are only a handful for the year
    Normal scratches for a 66,000 mile car but in ok shape over all did not look like any major damage and interior is clean.
    Tires are nearly new
    Just had its most recent major service so essentialy brand new brakes

Thanks ahead of time. I am pretty sure I am gonna lose this cause he will just shop whatever I give him up and down the eas coast since he has offices all over the country.
    Even Edmunds trade-in is under $29k, and you know they are usually high ... so tell him to sell it for $31k and have a nice day.

I think I got lost in all the talk about automated phone systems and ladies wear. :)

I paid ~$20,500 for my CPO'd '03 LS V8 5 months ago ... so I'm not complaining by any means (thanks to Terry).

So I'm a bit surprised at the $16.5k number ... but not by much. I was actually anticipating about $17k-$17.5.

Terry, the dealer hit it at $13.5. Pretty ridiculous, but I knew it and didn't fuss one bit. I thanked them for the test drive of their fine car and left. There is nothing wrong with my car. As a matter of fact, they complimented me on the condition, miles, etc. BUT, "gas prices mean nobody wants a V8, blah, blah, blah." Whatever. It doesn't hurt me in the least to keep it.

NOW, onto other things ... we are getting ready to cut the Volvo loose from the herd. Yeah, yeah, I just want to go car buying... i know. ANYHOO ... I'm thinking a $5500 asking and $4500 taking down retail road. What thinks ya?

'98 Volvo S70 T5 auto. Cowskins, slider, traction, CD/tape, bun warmers, etc. 115k miles. New shoes, all maintenance tip top (and then some). Interior is in nice shape. Outside has a few scratches (heck, its like 9 years old). We had that $2k kiss to the right-front fender a couple of years back, but you'd never know it.

Yeah I know it is just stupid. He claims to have a friend in the businesss so he knows what galves is and is using that to pressure us on the price of the Disco. The problem is if he is using galves to figure out what we own the disco for then he needs to use galves to figure out the wholesale number on his Merc. Galves is in the high $26k low $27k with straight mileage deduction.
    Why even waste time with him? Did you point out the Galves number on his car? If he can't face reality, there is just no pleasing him and, even if you somehow managed a deal, he'd probably be a thorn in your side for the life of the vehicle. Life is too short.

He is supposed to come by today so we can do a formal apprasial of his merc. I have looked over the car myself twice when he was in before just to get a feel for it. It is nothing special just an average 6 year old car that he bought as a CPO mercedes. I will see how things go today and if they go badly just drop him.

I wouldn't have spent so much time with him already but he has been here a lot and lives no where close to us. He is a rover nut who has owned Defenders and older Range Rovers in the past. He has the disposable income that dropping $80k cash on a new range rover would not bother him but he wouldn't do that since he can buy a CPO one that is a year or two old for less then $60k.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    He has the disposable income that dropping $80k cash on a new range rover would not bother him but he wouldn't do that since he can buy a CPO one that is a year or two old for less then $60k.

And that's how he ended up having so much disposable income...
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    The insurance adjuster hasn't been around yet, but can anyone offer advice on how to decide to repair, or just take the hit & add the insurance payment to my down payment?

How many, and how deep? If it's a couple of really shallow dents, I wouldn't bother fixing it. Otherwise, I probably would.
  • kapbotkapbot Member Posts: 113
    The insurance adjuster hasn't been around yet, but can anyone offer advice on how to decide to repair, or just take the hit & add the insurance payment to my down payment?

How many, and how deep? If it's a couple of really shallow dents, I wouldn't bother fixing it. Otherwise, I probably would.

It's hard to say, I haven't really counted, but there's probably about 12 - 18 total on the hood & roof, none real bad. It's just bad enough that if I wanted to keep this thing for a while, I'd just curse under my breath every time I washed & or waxed but not do anything about it, including getting the insurance company involved. I am only concerned because I am looking at trading it in pretty soon. Probably, I am making a big deal in my mind because I was hoping this truck will be a major part of my equity in my next vehicle, since it's paid for. Then again, stuff happens. Thanks for the reply, it was actually more useful than what most of my friends had to say!
    Thanks,
    Kevin
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    With a dozen dents on only two panels, I'd go ahead and fix it. If you can get the adjuster to look at it in the next couple of days, you should be able to get to a PDR guy before they get booked up.
    ..... **Specficly he is saying someone out in the windy city is offering him 31,500 for his Merc. I can't come anywhere close to this and although I have delt with this guy in the past and he is always been straight I am wondering if he is blowing smoke up my tail pipe here.**
    ===========================

$31,500 with 66k .......? .. God bless em' ... did he get a 4 week all expense paid trip to Hawaii for him and 3 of his closest friends....?

If you look at the auction reports, the last one in Chicago did $29ish with 50k - last month .. and you can bet that dude was pre-sold with a Big Fat "non-refundable" security deposit and his credit was stronger than Ft Knox ..l.o.l....

If he can get $31,500 (real money.!) than have at it .... $25 is Big, $26 would Flat kill it with that many miles and $28 would be the friggin' MOON ...... nice cars, but they have to have baby miles and be "cleaner than the Board of Health and twice as sanitary" to get any real money ... you'd have to send out to Kalifurnia to find a buyer in this lifetime .... I have an 01 sittin' out front and it's a "baby doll", it's got 21k, it glows in the dark, it's puuuuurfect and I only paid $35 for that ...........

$31,500...? .. I got this piece of property just south of the Everglades and .......

I say this in the most sincere way ... don't take your business so seriously .. your going to get folks that say this and that, they can buy this for $XXXXX and they just bought that for $XXXXX .... do you think these buyers want to humble themselves and admit they lied...? ... but then again, maybe he was lied to - who knows .... breath deep and move on .... if he comes back, then we'll know .. he could be on a entirely different vehicle and they're showing him super strong overallowance -- who knows ...?

Terry :D
    Thanks for the back up on that. It confirms pretty much exactly what our two wholesalers said but they never get out as far as Chicago for anything since we frankly are just not that large.

Yeah when he told me it had 66k on it I knew he was in trouble since those cars are like hours that got to have the tiny miles to be worth anything.
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I am surprised I haven't been able to find this answer on the internet, but I was wondering realistically how much it costs a dealer to turn around a trade in for resale? I know they have to do a thorough detail and a full checkup, etc.. but how much does that actually *cost* them?

On top of that, how much is a "reasonable" amount of profit?

Just curious how the gap between trade-in and retail breaks down.

Thank you much!
    AudreyM
    it actually has been discussed here, and Terry often provides a wholesale number, as well as what the trade-in actually hits the dealers lot for after all the costs ... but, at almost 30k posts in this discussion, it is probably very difficult to track down, so, unless someone can find one of those messages, maybe one of the salesfolk can answer your question directly ...

Ohh... well, here's a couple of quotes from this board (Terry) to get you started:

Dealer paid $34,500 - plus the auction fee was probably $400, transport another $300, a little service, this and a that, a detail, add the CPO and he has at least $36,0 in it with all the stuff

*Nashville shows: 67,482 miles and he paid $10,9, add the auction fee $250, transport $300, a this and that $300 .. probably hits the table around that $11,8 figure,

**>>>11/08/05 ARENA Lease $12,750 81,175 Below BRI SIL 6G A No**

Figure auction fee $300, transport $250, some service and some other stuff $400ish, and it probably hits the table in the $13,9ish range

There are a lot of variables that go in and it depends on the trade.

If the miles are low and it doesn't need tires brakes or any significant reconditioning then just a few hundred for a detail, oil change and safety inspection.

But if say the car has 30 something thousand on it and it needs brakes, tires a major service and a few dings taken out plus maybe a crack in the windshield that changes things.

Bottom line is you are going to have a very hard time figuring out what a dealer actually owns his used cars for.
  • agcagc Member Posts: 7
    Could you guys help me out, what is my car worht on trade

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited
    Body Style: Minivan
    Engine: 3.8 liter 6 cylinder (automatic)
    Mileage: 40,000
    Color: Silver/Grey
    Major Options:
    Condition: Good to excellent
    Details of interior and exterior: leather in very good shape and no dings or scratches
    Tires - 20% worn
    Brakes - Good
    Maintenance - up to date with service records

Thanks for your help
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Hi Terry... Posting for some friends looking to trade in their van for a Pilot or Highlander. I've posted what they sent to me regarding options and condition....

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LXi 3.3L
    Engine: 3.3L V6
    Mileage: 68,700
    Color: Silver exterior/Dark Blue Leather Interior

Major Options: Power windows, power driver seat, dual power sliding doors, power liftgate, leather, heated front seats, AM/FM/Cass/CD, center console, middle bucket seats

Condition: The interior is in great shape because we've kept other mats on top of the original ones. They look brand new. A few light scratches and a small "spiderweb" on the front bumper. The driver-side rear sliding door was painted after a good scrape all along the door, but is now totally unnoticeable. Needs a new set of tires. Brakes were done only 4000 miles ago.

Thanks, Terry!
  • achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    OH terrrryyyy!

Got a chance to get this thinking can detail it and make a few bucks.
    Was my uncle's company car and have a chance to buy it out.

2004 Impala base
    grey w/ grey guts
    clean w/ all maint records.
    auto a/c single cd pw/pl the usual suspects
    in NOLA area no flood no accidents
    tires ok
    no kids or shrimp po/boy invasions
    what's she worth in trade and if I get a 5-liner in the Times Picayune? :shades:
    The Volvo is at the detail shop today, so I am hoping to list the car this weekend. Hoping to get a better feel of the market for Volvos from a decade ago. :)
    So here's a repost:

So I'm a bit surprised at the $16.5k number ... but not by much. I was actually anticipating about $17k-$17.5.

Terry, the dealer hit it at $13.5. Pretty ridiculous, but I knew it and didn't fuss one bit. I thanked them for the test drive of their fine car and left. There is nothing wrong with my car. As a matter of fact, they complimented me on the condition, miles, etc. BUT, "gas prices mean nobody wants a V8, blah, blah, blah." Whatever. It doesn't hurt me in the least to keep it.

'98 Volvo S70 T5 auto. Cowskins, slider, traction, CD/tape, bun warmers, etc. 115k miles. New shoes, all maintenance tip top (and then some). Interior is in nice shape. Outside has a few scratches (heck, its like 9 years old, but has fewer than most cars half its age). We had that $2k kiss to the right-front fender a couple of years back, but you'd never know it.

.. **Terry..... way off topic.... but got in 9 holes yesterday with the Acura sales manager. Weather definitely was a factor in not being able to go 18. Greens/fairways were "squishy"..... no carts.
    >>>Results? I shot 44. "Mr 70s sales manager" shot a 48. Took some $$$ from him. Plus, he picked up the greens fees and a couple of "sodas". He gave me some "Acura" golf balls, too.
    So much for him shooting in the 70s.
    Just a little update.
    ============================

Just like my great Grand Daddy used to say .... "those who do all the braggin' end-up doin' all the laggin" .... ain't that the way.? ..l.o.l... a 44 is pretty stought, especially in the mud and the blood, not my favorite set-up on a course .... been watchin' any of the LPGA in Mexico City.? .. that's some course.! no wonder they're letting them drive carts .. if I didn't know any better, I'd swear they're playing Tot Hill in Pinehurst ..l.o.l...

Enjoy the car and thanks for the update .....

Terry :P
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 868
    Terry,

Could you give me some numbers on the following vehicles? The van is leased, up in a few months but the Civic we own free and clear, just toying with some ideas...would like to walk away with two new cars!

Year/Make/Model: 2004/Honda/Odyssey EX Cloth
    Engine: 3.5L, V6, Automatic
    Mileage: 17000
    Color: Sage/Fern
    Major Options: All standard EX options, DVD
    Condition: Excellent
    Tires: Original
    Brakes: Excellent
    Maintenance: Regularly done through dealer
    Residual (LEV) of $21,155 end of April

Year/Make/Model: 2001/Honda/Civic EX Cloth
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 4cyl, 5-Speed
    Mileage: 63500
    Color: Silver/Gray
    Major Options: PW, PL, Single CD, Cruise Control, Dual Front/Side air bags, Sunroof
    Condition: Good
    Tires: Replaced 3K Miles ago
    Brakes: Good
    Maintenance: Regularly done through dealer

Thanks in advance!
    ....>>>>**Terry, the dealer hit it at $13.5. Pretty ridiculous, but I knew it and didn't fuss one bit. I thanked them for the test drive of their fine car and left. There is nothing wrong with my car. As a matter of fact, they complimented me on the condition, miles, etc. BUT, "gas prices mean nobody wants a V8, blah, blah, blah." Whatever. It doesn't hurt me in the least to keep it.
    =====================

Remember what I said.? .. Honda dealers aren't really known for dropping big $$ into anything, it's just the way they run their ship .... when was the last time you drove past a Honda store and saw a GMC truck, Saturn or a Lexus..? .l.o.l..

>>>**NOW, onto other things ... we are getting ready to cut the Volvo loose from the herd. Yeah, yeah, I just want to go car buying... i know. ANYHOO ... I'm thinking a $5500 asking and $4500 taking down retail road. What thinks ya?
    '98 Volvo S70 T5 auto. Cowskins, slider, traction, CD/tape, bun warmers, etc. 115k miles. New shoes, all maintenance tip top (and then some). Interior is in nice shape. Outside has a few scratches (heck, its like 9 years old). We had that $2k kiss to the right-front fender a couple of years back, but you'd never know it**.
    =================

It's a 98 T5 auto with all the stuff, we got the service, shoes, bun warmers and 115k ...... If the $2,000 "kiss" doesn't shout - "I've been hit, call me a Medic" ...... then trade side, in and around that $4,0/$4,5 range so you're spot on .... that said, these sell pretty darn good down Retail Rd .. you know the deal, the Dukes of Detail, all the paperwork super glued to the windshield, super Ad and: $6,950 *asking* and whine, cry, shuffle your feet and act deprived -- but take the $6,0/$6,5 ......

Good luck and don't forget the update ...

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Terry,

On a Florida lease of a 39 month term, how does the sales tax work? Is it based on the lease period or on the purchase price of the car. I would think it would only be on the period that one leases the car for...the 39 months
    Am I wrong on this?

The Sandman :)
    .. Monthly .....

Terry.