Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Dealer sells it for $7,200

Ya gotta be honest with yourself and ask yourself one question. Would YOU pay $7200 for a near 100k mile, near 7-year-old PT Cruiser?

I know I wouldn't, and I don't know anyone personally who would.

I think 15% of a new one's MSRP sounds about right, if not even a tad high given its accident history.

This sounds like a vehicle you could do much better with selling on your own. Although I'm not sure you'd get your $5200 even then. Its possible, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Numbers sounded *way* high to me as well. It's an old, wrecked, high mile, domestic compact car.

I sold a Forester for $5550, it was 3 years older but had fewer miles. It has AWD and it's a bit bigger, plus Subarus hold their value well, while Chryslers don't.

I'd price it at $4850 and keep my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I have to agree,you are wayyyyy off.

Car has been in an accident,plus its a miler.
    MAYBE your dealer could stretch to $3500,but that is ALL the money.
  • Options
    funny you should say that, because that is EXACTLY what went through my head. "heck, for $7k, I'll get a Forester!"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    will42will42 Member Posts: 21
    Could I get a trade-in value on a 2007 Corvette? I live 45 miles northwest of Chicago. It is a 1LT base model. Only option is the automatic transmission. The color is silver with black leather. It is like new with 2,200 miles. I had a 3M Clear bra installed when new. I would appreciate your opinion.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Wow.
    As I currently drive a 2007 Corvette also - 3LT, A6, I'd expect to take a huge depreciation hit if I traded in my car now - at 8.5 months & 12,000 miles.
    Why trade?
    - Ray
    Very curious.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    7200 is way high. Try checking ebay for cars that actually sold to determine if the wholesale number is accurate. Also, not sure that I would call it a minor deer hit when the bumper and hood had to be replaced.

Here is a story about high milage American cars. My father is in the market for a new car. His trade is a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 120,000 miles, and a dealer just told him that he was surpised that it was still running because "they usually don't last that long." This came from a high end used dealer who makes his money selling off lease ES 300s. So take it with a grain of salt. My father loves his Jeep, and probably rightly so because he got his moneys worth out of it, but if he probably should have bought a 4runner because he might have some miles left on it.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It's called "prepping him for a low-ball trade....". There's plenty of buyers and probably plenty of life left in his GC. If your father loves it, that should tell you something. Toyota is not as faultless as some would have you believe. My wife had a '99 GC Ltd before going with her GX470. Her GC had 150k miles when she sold it to a relative and it now has 190k on the clock. It had a few problems here and there, but it didn't cost $150 for an oil change either....
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Whoa they are charging 150 dollars for an oil change on what is essentially a 4Runner????? Are they at least using synthetic oil?
  • Options
    I bet they wash the car, check all fluids, rotate the tires, etc.

I'm sure it's more than just an oil change.
  • Options
    I would hope so and more.

When I ran my old shop a synthetic full service oil change including a check of all the fluids under the hood and the drive line plus vacuuming the interior and cleaning the windows was 65 dollars including tax. A tire rotation was another 20 dollars including tax.
  • Options
    Maybe an expresso, too. :D
  • Options
    Hey I had coffee, the newspaper and cable TV what else do you want? ;)
  • Options
    I bet they wash the car, check all fluids, rotate the tires, etc.

I'm sure it's more than just an oil change.

Yeah, you're right. It's basically the same service package our Honda dealer charges around $30 out the door. Except instead of an ES330 loaner, I get a couple year old Civic/Accord/CRV/Odyssey/whatevertheyhavelayingaround. And I think the Lexi dealer hand washes instead of running through the automatic at the Honda shop. Hey, the wife gets what the wife wants..... :cry:

And the bill says nothing about synthetic!
  • Options
    man, tell me who your Honda dealer is! My bill is $32 JUST for the oil change! No car wash, no free air freshener, nothing! ($27.95 + tax + disposal fee or some such thing)

• Options
    Not sure if I can list dealer names anyway, I've been to two dealers in Ohio that were around that price. The one dealer was always around $21 for oil change/fluid checks. They always marked that I had a coupon even though I didn't. The other dealer charged be $30 for oil change/fluid check and tire rotation. $10 for a rear wiper blade/installation. Everything else was covered under warranty. Plus a loaner car. Not bad. This is for our Odyssey, which is our first Honda. So far the service has been about 100X better than any Toyota dealer we've dealt with in the past. In fact, I do my own service on my Tundra because I can't handle the sharks at my local.
  • Options
    Very hard to say what the value is,given how few have gone thru the auction.
    Off hand, i would say between $37-39000,esp if it doesn't have any options.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Whoa they are charging 150 dollars for an oil change on what is essentially a 4Runner?

(Should've just taken it a Toyota dealer). But $150 for a non-synthetic oil change.....for that kind of $$ they should include services that are generally illegal, except in Nevada I think.

I knew a guy who paid $250 for the yearly oil change on his Porsche 911. From a Porsche dealer in RI who picked up & delivered the car to & from his home near Boston.

I paid $50 for the last couple of synthetic oil & filter changes on my bmw, from an indie bmw place down the street.....
  • Options
    The problem selling a brand new 'vette is that dealers have piles of new ones lying around.

I went to the Chevy dealer on Rt. 355 in Gaithersburg and they had 3 sitting right inside the show room. The salesman told me they do that when they are anxious to get rid of them.

Since people can get good discounts on new ones, used has to be at least 10% less than they would charge, if not 20% less.
  • Options
    oh, you're in Ohio, forget it. The whole car cost $30 there, right? At least, that's what I've read on the prices paid forum. ;b

by the way, for future reference, you absolutely can post a dealer's name. just can't post the names of individual salespeople.

• Options
    Well, if I'd have paid $30 for the car and I'd be crazy to pay $30 for service...I'd just get a new one:)

I've heard folks complaining they can't buy Hondas nearly as cheap as we can. I dunno, seemed like about the same deal as any other brand I've bought. With the exception of the Lexus, I've not paid more than $500 over invoice for anything and that's about what we paid for the Ody back in '05. Called up, guy asked how much I wanted to pay, I told him, picked up next day.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Not sure if I can list dealer names anyway...

It's okay to name a dealership. We just ask that you not provide contact information.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    The current situation, with 2008s already being sold & delivered ( though GM had not even allowed one to configure one on-line ) and with remaining 2007s being discount as much as $7 – 8K, I’d be amazed if you could sell one with only A6 ( and particularly with no Z51 ) for anything like $37-39K. MSRP would have been approx. $46.3K, including destination.

And ( clearly ) trade-in would be substantially less, at most any dealer – as most dealers move so few new ones that the expected resale time for a used one is probably not ‘quick’. . .

I also expect that many potential buyers would view such a low mileage 2007 with skepticism or suspicion.

I do wish you good luck – and I hope it is not a ‘distress’ situation . . .

- Ray
    Hoping to keep my 2007 for a bit longer . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Year/Make/Model: 2001 Ford Focus SE
    Body Style: 4 door Sedan
    Engine: 2.0L I4 DOHC 16V FI Engine, manual trans
    Mileage: 77,000
    Color: red/gray
    The engine is apparently an upgrade, I believe everything else it is equipped with was standard on the SE
    Condition is clean
    Tires fairly new

What should I expect to need tp pay the dealer for this? They have a riduculous price of $7995 posted on it.
  • Options
    leroybrown71leroybrown71 Member Posts: 26
    Year/Make/Model: 2005 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
    Engine: 5.4 Liter
    Driveline: 2WD
    Mileage: 19,200
    Color: Light French Silk ( gold ) w/tan guts
    Major Options: HID's, 2nd row bench, power running boards
    Condition: Very good - 2 small dings. Interior also very good.... not perfect ( stupid light interior )
    Tires - 80%
    Brakes -80%?
    Maintenance - All recommended
    Other: No accidents/ wrecks/paintwork etc

Looking for trade in & private party values if possible. Lease is up in 10 months, but wouldn't mind moving to something smaller sooner if the numbers make sense.

Thanks in advance!!

LB
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I read about the horsepower increase and the beefed up auto trans, and was thinking about trading for a 2008. I haven't been to a dealer yet. I wanted to get a idea of the value before I go shopping. The sight unseen appraisals on this website are very close if not on the mark. Thanks again.
  • Options
    8sparkplugs8sparkplugs Member Posts: 111
    2002 Isuzu Rodeo LS V6
    Black with gray interior.
    72,500 miles.
    Interior in very good condition
    Exterior has a couple of very minor dings and a few minor chips on the hood.
    In Texas
    Runs great no issues.
  • Options
    wholesale looks like somewhere in the $27-28,000 range.
  • Options
    2WD @ $5000
    4WD @ $6000
  • Options
    8sparkplugs8sparkplugs Member Posts: 111
    Is there not much demand for these? It's a good vehicle and in good condition. KBB is $6785 for the 2wd. Just curious
  • Options
    All the cheaper SUVs are well behind book because of gas prices.

People that would be interested in buying a sub 10,000 dollar car are much more sensitive to 3.00 dollar plus gas.
  • Options
    celkancelkan Member Posts: 27
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L
    Engine: 3.5L
    Driveline: 2WD
    Mileage: 48,500
    Color: Metallic dark grey w/ grey leather
    Major Options: Factory standard: leather, CD, 3rd row, etc.
    Condition: Fair to good: no dents, no rust, few scratches
    All accessories perfectly functional
    Interior: No tears, some carpet stains

Tires - 30% original
    Brakes - 95% one month old
    Maintenance - All recommended
    Other: No accidents/ wrecks/paintwork etc.
    Purchased new locally in March 2003.

Looking for trade in & private party values if possible.
    Want to trade for a new Honda CR-V at the dealership.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    It's all wheel drive, not 2WD.
  • Options
    I'm sure it would be cheaper for you to just modify your current ride. It won't beef up your trans, but does it truly need it? i thought the vette's auto trans was always supposed to be pretty reliable?

• Options
    That kind of makes it a bargain, IMO.

Then again, I say that but I wouldn't want one myself.
  • Options
    It's an old Isuzu, I don't know if there ever is much demand for one.
  • Options
    Looks like trade should be @ $15,000
  • Options
    The 2008 Corvette increases engine size to 6.2 litres adding 30 horsepower. Chevy made improvements on the transmission to shift quicker. Also, the performance axle is available as a stand alone option. Altogether these improvements should have a noticeable increase in performance compared to my 2007.
  • Options
    Thank you volvomax! As far as I can tell from negotiating locally, you are spot-on.
  • Options
    tbaxxontbaxxon Member Posts: 80
    Can't seem to find this vehicle anywhere. I cant find the "RODARO" version. Just the S LS and LSE
    Myrtle Beach, SC location

Its 2001 Two tone Black and Gold Rodeo. 2WD
    95000 miles

receipts for recent (within last 6 months) Timing belt, belts, hoses, brakes, fuel sending unit,plugs, 17" tires on factory chrome wheels, Coolant flush, transmission flush.

This vehicle has a built in remote controlled driver seat massager,
    Drivers side heated seats
    leather
    Rear air
    Power seats
    cruise/tile
    Power windows
    KLess entry
    Chrome wheels
    Power drive/Winter drive buttons for transmission

Condition:

Interior excellent no rips, stains
    Front left has small 2" dent on fender and small scrapes on left front bumper. Have to look for them.

Rest of vehicle clean no dents.
    Everything works.
    No claims
    No Repaints

Wonder what ACV is,

I get about $5000 on fair/good condition for an LSE on KBB and Edmunds.

Intellechoice claims $1800-$3000 (Im guessing they are in with some dealers as the local dealer was listed on their estimate..LOL For that kind of ACV it pays to run the vehicle another couple years.

We will likely have to go out of town to buy a car as there is no competition here between brands. IM thinking New Jersey.

Cars we are interested in. include Saturn ION Quad 2, Scion Tc (although the MPG is terrible), Cobalt, Rio5, Mazda3, Focus.

Thanks
  • Options
    tbaxxontbaxxon Member Posts: 80
    Forgot to mention its a Limited. Whatever that means.
  • Options
    Hard to say without knowing what kind it really is.
    Could just be a dealer package add on though.
    We have a Caddy dealer here that does "AZ Editions".
    Of course,they don't show up in the book.

Still, trade should be somewhere @ $3000
  • Options
    leroybrown71leroybrown71 Member Posts: 26
    Volvomax - thanks for the trade value on my 05 Navigator. I may have to stick that out till the end of the lease... the difference between trade value & lease payoff doesn't make sense to trade now. Hoping you can throw me a number for my other car ( I'm a new car addict, sorry! )

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Honda Accord EX-L
    Body Style: Coupe
    Engine: 2.4 liter 4 cyl, automatic transmission
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 7800
    Color: Dark blue / black guts
    Major Options: It's a Honda ;)
    Condition:
    1 tiny dent on rear quarter panel... clean besides that. Interior "very good"
    Tires - 95%?
    Brakes - 95%?
    Maintenance - Only 1 oil change so far
    Other: No accidents / paintwork / repairs of any kind.

Seriously considering a Civic Hybrid.... I'll miss the space, handling, leather, fun to drive-ness, and all kinds of stuff, but 40-50 MPG is so tempting.

Thanks in advance.

LB
  • Options
    Seriously you spend your first two days bashing the salespeople all across the board and then expect us to help you.

Max you are a better man then me.
  • Options
    Why are you still in this thread if you find it so useless? You're welcome to leave. :P
  • Options
    goody39goody39 Member Posts: 4
    1998 Audi A6 Quattro Automatic
    134,000 miles
    Green/ Black leather
    minor dings, interior fair
    Boston, MA

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    chrisconchriscon Member Posts: 23
    There is alot of good information in this forum. Hoping someone can help me out. It's time to get out of this gas guzzler.

Philadelphia, PA
    2005 Nissan Frontier SE Crew-cab
    4x4
    4.0L V6
    Just hit 40K miles.
    Color is storm gray.
    Only option is Power package.
    Car is in pretty decent shape. Tires are about 50%. Minor dent on the front bumper, and some kind and thoughtful person decided to key a small section of the tailgate.

Does anyone have a good news on this?
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Here's a guess--one of the car pros here I'm sure can give you a more accurate $$#. But I'd say: $2500 "real" trade in $$, & maybe (??) $4600 private sale. The miles are killin' it, plus it's a 10 y.o. Audi.....
  • Options
    Tough car to figure,since only 1 went over the block.
    My guess is @ $19,000
    Unless you are in the green,it isn't worth changing so you can get a few more MPG.
    Remember that most hybrids don't return their EPA numbers.
  • Options
    metaldavemetaldave Member Posts: 8
    Looking to trade in 2 cars and buy a new one. Wondering what I'll actually get offered for these two. Thanks in advance.

1999 Honda Civic 4-door LX
    35K miles
    Keyless entry, cd player.
    Interior condition - nothing worth noting
    Exterior - scratches on the bumpers a couple of minor dings (Location is NYC...)
    Tires are a year old. Nothing mechanically wrong with the car.

1998 Kia Sportage STD AWD
    85k miles.
    Exterior - Minor scratches, nothing major.