Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    ramrod5ramrod5 Member Posts: 6
    I have a pic posted here....2001 Ltd. Silver w/Dub's and 275/40/20.
    With minor adjustment made to the rear strut by my mechanic they ride great....smooth ride. Just put 3 tv's (2 5inch in the headrests and 7inch at dashboard), 10inch sub, 6 disc changer, PS2, and tv module.
    I don't have the pic's of the interior....maybe later when I find the time.
  • Options
    brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    Can you give any specifics about the upgraded stereo equipment you installed?
  • Options
    The largest tires I could fit without changing the rim size and wheel offset was 235/70-16 (7in wide). Got some Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts that look nice.
  • Options
    ramrod5ramrod5 Member Posts: 6
    pioneer dvd 7300 with 6 disc changer, rockport punch HE 10" 1000 watt sub, rockport 500 watt amp, 2 swivel 5" monitors at headrests, and playstation 2, tv tuner is not in yet.

I made a mistake on the tire size. The correct size is 275/45/20 not 275/40/20.
  • Options
    sin21856sin21856 Member Posts: 14
    Hey, good job on your Highlander, looks great! Just curious on how you have your system set up. Where did you place your sub and amp? Do u have just a regular sub box in the back or did you do custom? How about the amp? I'm working on putting my system together, just trying to get ideas...
  • Options
    stevesr1stevesr1 Member Posts: 28
    I finally got around to doing this over the weekend. The plastic covers over the rear ends of the rails must be removed. Once this is done the cross bars slide right out.

Getting the plastic covers off (without breaking them) is kind of tricky. Each is secured to the underlying mount by 4 latches (2 each side) and a plastic pin which feeds into the rail. The 4 latches are molded into the plastic cover.

To release the latches you will need to make a tool that will feed between the rubber base and the plastic cap and allow you to pull the sides of the cap outward (horizontally). WARNING! Pulling or prying vertically will break the latches.

Park in the sun on a warm day to warm up the plastic to make it more pliable and less likely to crack or break. Use the tool to release the 2 latches on the outboard side. Once you have done this it helps to shove a piece of cardboard into the gap to keep these from re-latching while you are working on the other side. Now do the same thing on the inboard side. Once all four latches are released slide the cover off toward the rear of the vehicle. WARNING! Do not lift the rear of the cap or you'll break the pin that slides into the rail.

The caps snap back on faster than you can say "Done".

Enjoy!

Steve
  • Options
    delddeld Member Posts: 8
    To answer some questions that I and others had that I saw while reading at this site. I am currently installing an upgraded stereo system in our Highlander and my wife and I are having much fun with it. We first gutted her car as we wanted to Dynamat it to lower the interior noise level. Not too bad a job but it was time consuming; saved a bunch by doing it ourselves and Momma is a great assistant so it was good to work together.

We installed a single din radio/head unit in the double din spot which was interesting. The aftermarket trim kit we got from American International, they supply all of the installers their stuff, needed to be altered for a factory look. This wasn't difficult once I realized that I couldn't buy what I wanted and just dove into it.

The speakers in the doors have an integral "well" they sit in and so I had to make a wooden well for the new speakers. If I mounted them directly to the door they would have prevented the window from coming all the way down.

We aren't done yet but should be by tomorrow night. Have to finish the Dynamatting and reinstall the back interior panels and seats.

I believe it was a worthwhile project and we saved at least 2 grand from what we did. We mounted the amp under the driver's seat and the CD changer in the center console. (Had to modify the CD changer support base for this to work).

The system sounds much better than the factory set up and we feel well worth the effort.

Good luck to all who try this. Just go slowly and, as they say, measure twice, think thrice and cut once.
  • Options
    ckp8ckp8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a gold 2002 Highlander and I am looking for mudguards for it.

If anybody has them or knows where I can get them email me at

ckp8@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    mjm11mjm11 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 HL. Live in very deer intense woodsy are. Had a Jeep prior with real nice grill guard that literally saved me thousands during a deer accident.
    Inquired about same for HL at dealer but was informed that such a device may interfere with sensors for airbags in event of real accident.
    Can anyone verify? I'm interested in protecting vehicle but not at the risk of losing safety protection.

thanks!
  • Options
    bshissiasbshissias Member Posts: 2
    I know I saw on the boards before how to find the mid range setting on the factory stereo. Can someone please give me the instructions again? thanks Barb in NJ-Gold Highlander 4WD 6 cyl.
  • Options
    jwfjwfjwfjwf Member Posts: 21
    Press the tone/fader/balance button and hold it for what seems like an eternity (~10 seconds) until you hear a beep. Release the button, and then press it repeatedly until you see a MID 0 indicator. Turn the button clockwise to advance the MID to a setting you like. The improvement is remarkable.

If you turn off your ignition with the radio on, you will lose your MID setting and will have to repeat this process.
  • Options
    sodafastsodafast Member Posts: 10
    We bought a Sundown Red Pearl V6 with Alloys, Privacy Glass, Roof Rack, and Sunroof. A week later I added the R3 stainless step tubes which I bought at the parts department and installed myself. The quality and fit is just excellent. It took me about 90 minutes to install the step tubes. This created a very beautiful car which is a little less luxurious but more sporty than the Limited; and way below the cost of a limited.

Our base stereo sounds real good with the FR Fader at 2R, Bass 0, Treble 5. But with the settings any different and it doesn't sound very good (at least not to my ears). Maybe I'll try that midrange setting. I didn't even know it existed...
  • Options
    llofgrenllofgren Member Posts: 129
    I think that the midrange setting makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the stock stereo. I adjust mine to 4 and the only problem is to save the settings you have to remember to shut the radio off before you turn the car off each time.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I know Toy offers a Cargo mat, Logic mat, whatever. But does anyone know of a good mat that will protect the cargo area that would be a heavy rubber (rubbermaid) quality mat that will fit? I thought I saw something advertised in a Sears Auto mag or someplace that offered these for about $80.
    I load lots of stuff in the back and don't want another 'carpeted' type mat on top of the carpet base. I want a rubber type mat that can take some scrapping and rolling objects on without showing the tracks...any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Options
    megan91megan91 Member Posts: 9
    I just went to toyota and bought the clear plastic mats to cover my carpeted floor mats. They are thick and sturdy and they do not take away from the look of the inside of the car. I believe the cargo area mat was under 50 dollars.I think they are called exacta mats and they are the exact shape of the floor mats I already have. Check them out.
  • Options
    Our dealer's parts department has been instrumental at providing accessories (mats, stainless step tubes, etc.) for VERY reasonable prices and in fact for quite less than we would pay for the after market stuff elsewhere. Apparently, Toyota doesn't sell the wiring harness separately. I'm not so concerned about the wiring harness, as I and certainly could wire it so as not to compromise the electrical system. But the parts guy indicated that the light units themselves were too expensive to consider given the prices of good after market units. From my measurements of the bumper holes, it looks like 5" lights might be a little too tight in the holes and 4" lights would leave about 3/4" gap all the way around. Has anyone installed after market fog lights? I'm going to do it but thought I'd ask if anyone has done it and what size they used. I'll do a follow up here afterward. If you have experience with a fog light add-on or are interested, post a message or email me.
  • Options
    rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    i followed what jwfjwf and llofgren said about midrange setting, but, when i hold the button in, i only get the standard treb/bass/frd/bal options. if i hold it in longer, it goes back to the radio display.

did i miss something?

rap
  • Options
    Mine didn't work either. I think this feature was only available for some models.

It doesn't bother me anymore, though, since I ripped out the stock stereo and installed a REAL system. : )
  • Options
    jaxbossjaxboss Member Posts: 13
    Hold the button IN for a long time, it beeps, keep it in for another 5 seconds or so. then let go of the buttun and tap it thru, u will see the fdr, bass and something that looks like IILP upside down. thats it
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    If I remember correctly on my 2002 Limited if you press the button the first time you get treble, the second time you get bass, the third time you get midrange control (I think that's the sequence) . You don't have to hold it in for a long time. Then you twist right or left to set the controls. Unless I am missing something??
  • Options
    In case anybody is interested, some guy is selling fog lights and an installation kit included on ebay. Only problem is that its asking about $450.00. Almost half a grand for lights, hmmmm, NOT ME.
  • Options
    They're talking about the midrange setting on the stock non-JBL stereo system.
  • Options
    I saw that factory fog light listing on Ebay to, way too much to spend considering you can get quality after market (maybe even all stainless) units for $50 - $90 per set. I've already ordered the "brackets" and "bearings"(for adjustment) factory Toyota parts and a factory dash- or console-mounted illuminated switch. I just have to determine the closest diameter after market (4, 4.5, or 5 inch)to fit the factory bumper holes. If anyone already knows the exact outside diameter of the factory lights (at the widest point), I'd be interested to know as that would save me having to find a Limited and try to measure the light size with them installed. I will have to adapt the after market units and maybe even fabricate an adapter bracket to mate the factory hardware to the after market lights. The mounting hardware and switch was about $30 even with shipping costs, so this project should be worthwhile considering to the $300+ for factory units.
  • Options
    Sorry, I cant help ya, but Surely would be interested in finding out how you do. I'm in no hurry to put on fog lights,but if you do it and can pass along the info, we all would be grateful.
    I'll pass along anything I see on ebay, I look everyday just about. rear spoilers are now down to $89.00-Lowest I've seen yet-in case anyone is interested. Rear cargo mat at about $50.00 also.
    Since Im here, does anyone else notice if their outside door handles move slightly fore and aft if u move them that way on purpose? Its no big deal really, just wondering if it's normal. laterz & keep contributing.
  • Options
    waynel2waynel2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have suggestions to simply replace speakers on non-limited HL to considerably improve the sound quality? What kind of speakers to use? Or, one should replace the receiver too? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    gwleonggwleong Member Posts: 36
    There have been alot of postings regarding the substandard sound systems in all H/L's. I was wondering if those who replaced their systems would post exactly what they did: Replace speakers only, headunit only, or all of the above. I would like to know what models/brands were installed as it looks like I will be going this route. I think this would benefit alot of readers of this discussion.

Thanks in advance!

Gary
  • Options
    samksamsamksam Member Posts: 9
    I'm in the processing of buying a Toyota Highlander. Could anyone suggest an after-market store to buy optional equipments like Rear Spoiler, Cargo Mats, Remote Start + Keyless entry etc ?
  • Options
    ash732ash732 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my HL 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I found a small black stain on the driver's carpet mat. I know its not from the dealer (its my fault). I need to know how I can remove this stain without having to go to the dealer and getting an expensive "coating" done for approx 500 dollars plus tax. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Do you know what caused the stain?
  • Options
    The stain is black in color, and may hve been caused by some tar on the driveway (or parking lot). Due to the excessive heat wave that we have been having in the NorthEast - particularly the NY/NJ area - I might have stepped into a small tar patch somewhere and then into my car. The stain is in the mark of a showprint (the back part of the shoe).
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ..tar is tough to get out as it permeates the fibers. Try this..

Sponge the spot with a small amount of dry-cleaning solvent. Don't soak it as it might damage the backing. Use a white cloth and keep blotting with a clean area of the cloth till you see no more tar on the cloth. Then sponge the area with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of detergent (one with no alkalies or bleach) and a cup of lukewarm water. Blot. Sponge with clean water. Blot.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Got it. Thanks.
  • Options
    delddeld Member Posts: 8
    I installed an Eclipse tape playing head unit in the dash with their CD changer in the console. Put a McIntosh amp under the driver's seat (tight fit) and Focal Utopia speakers, 6 1/2" component set in the front doors. The amp is 110 watts/channel. We also installed Dynamat Extreme to everything inside but the ceiling.

The sound is grand. And the doors shut with a thud now, not the tinny sound of before.

I had to do some modifications but nothing that anyone else couldn't do. I had to make wells for the speakers to set in and this was done by building up 3/4" plywood. The crossovers were installed in an area that required us to remove some dense foam from the door skin. The CD changer mounting base had to be ground down some to fit in the console. Since the original head unit is a double din I ordered out a pocket for the extra space as my head unit is a single din. Even though this pocket was supposed to work as is I had to modify it so the trim ring fit properly.

The bass is incredibly deep and clear thanks to the Dynamatting. No subwoofers are required. When the drums are struck, they sound just like a drum, no dull thud. A young buddy had three 10" and two 12" subs in his truck and couldn't believe the bass I'm getting from my 6 1/2s.

I recommend to anyone that enjoys music they install a quality system themselves. All it takes is some money, lots of patience, a little blood, time and the help from a great wife to ensure success.
  • Options
    jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    Toyotaguys.com (RomaniaToyotaParts.com) will sell you the interior filter and tray (Cabin Filter Assembly, part # is on this list somewhere) for $25, free shipping. It's not currently on their website, but if you email them they'll set up a specific order page for you. I suggested they put it on their online catalog.
  • Options
    Our Highlander is new ( less than 2000 miles) and the door outside handles move fore an aft between 1/32" and 1/16". I consider this normal (even up to almost 1/8" play.) However, the fore and aft play can and will increase with wear and use. The door handle assembly cleverly gives the appearance of a classic fixed pull handle with a thumb button. But it is actually a fixed thumb button using a lever handle with which pivots at the front of the handle. In order to eliminate the fore and aft play, the "pivot" would need to be designed with a ball bearing or roller bearing which would be prohibitively expensive for the value added. The actually pivot is probably a hinge or pin-and-hole design which may or may not have some sort of plastic bushing. Since you pull the entire mass of the door open virtually on the integrity of the handle's little pivot, it certainly is subject to wear. This is particularly true if the car is frequently parked on a steep uphill slope. I wouldn't consider fore and aft play alone to indicate a wear problem. However, if the handles feel noticeably loose or sloppy while operating the door, or so loose that the handle appears sagging or misaligned, then I'd have the mechanics take a look. I am personally very discriminating and picky on designs and I have also noticed the play you mentioned, although I don't consider it excessive. However, as an engineer I realize that the wear endurance can better be evaluated on a well-used sample. How well this particular handle design holds up to wear can be evaluated on, say, a 2 year+ old car by comparing the the play of the handle on the drivers door to that of a new door handle (or perhaps a seldom-used rear handle on the same car.) Hopefully my perspective on this helps you to decide whether you should (or should not) suspect a problem.
  • Options
    blkhl02blkhl02 Member Posts: 5
    Buy your self a can of TUFF STUFF. I live by this product. This thing cleans everthing in the inside of you car. You can find this product at the car wash, and Auto Centers, even check K-Mart in the auto isle.
  • Options
    57tbird57tbird Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Highlander and wanted the Limited Fog Lamps too. Upon investigating The Piaa web site I found Driving Lights that are reasonable, easy to install and most importantly look great. The dealer was even impressed when I took my Highlander in for service and they saw the Piaa Driving Lights.

My Highlander is white and I am looking desperately for mud guards. Toyota offers color keyed ones on special order they are supposed to be just for the Limited at $285.00, kind of pricey. If anyone knows of good quality after market I would appreciate a message.
    I am in the process of changing the single CD player to a 12 disc player. I found one from a Limited that was totaled and in a grave yard.

Really am enjoying the Highlander. We have a 2001 4-Runner to and they are totally different vehicles. The Highlander drives like a car and has much more interior room.
  • Options
    I've been looking into getting some PIAA lights as well. Can you tell me the make/model of the ones you installed? I'm guessing you installed them where the fog lamps go in the Limited model.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I bought the Piaa 5164 Kit and custom mounting brackets from my Piaa distributor. The total cost ran a little over $200.00. The Piaa lighting system is teriffic and really looks great on the Highlander. Installation takes some planing and patience.
  • Options
    john_fontijohn_fonti Member Posts: 18
    Deld's radio modification seems a little much for us of simpler minds and skills. Isn't there a simpler and easier solution to get better sound? I can swap and install radios, amps and speakers myself but prefer the job to be an easy swap job rather than cutting and grinding. Deld says: "All it takes is some money, lots of patience, a little blood, time and the help from a great wife to ensure success." I'm a little short on the patience, blood and time. How about just a speaker swap? How about just a unit swap? Can I just add an amp (prob not)? Bottom line: I'd be happy with 75% of Deld's sound with 25% of Deld's effort.
  • Options
    mtc46jwmtc46jw Member Posts: 1
    Could you elaborate on the PIAA lights? I sent query to PIAA and all I got was the 510 set should fit but would require custom mounting. You mentioned that you bought a mounting kit with the lights? What part Number was it? did it include a relay? was it difficult to install? Do it your self? any info you can share would be appreciated!! Thanks
  • Options
    I took my 2001 Highlander to a distributor of Piaa products in Philadelphia, PA and told them that I wanted to install driving lights in the holes that were there when I removed the Toyota plates. The distributor provided me with the kit I needed to install the lights. The kit included the relay, switch, everything that I needed. I had to plan out the project and it went fairly smoothly.

I did learn later that Toyota's fog lights on the Limited are provided my Hella and that you can order them. I perferred the Piaa driving lights.

If anyone can help me with after market mud flaps, I am still looking. My Highlander is white and after taking it from Phila., PA to Lebanon, NH I really could use the mud flaps.

Thanks.
  • Options
    macmacmacmac Member Posts: 35
    Can you post some pictures of how the lights look on your HL?
  • Options
    starkiestarkstarkiestark Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 V6 AWD(not Limited). I would really like to have the tonneau cover for the rear area. I went to the dealership here in Calgary and told the price was $ 1020! Much to my dismay the response that I got from the dealership was - that is the price! Does anyone know where an aftermarket one can be had?
  • Options
    calden3calden3 Member Posts: 11
    I've read several messages about adding a center console between the front seats. Our area seems to only have HLs WITH the console, and we don't want one! It makes the front seats feel more claustrophobic to us.

So...it looks like this is a removable cowling which can be replaced by a smaller one which only covers the shifter housing. Anyone hear of doing this modification?

Carlos Alden
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    You're in luck as I'm in the midst of going in the other direction -- adding a 2002-style center console to a 2001 Highlander that does not have one. Unless if I come across some hitches in the next few days, it appears like what you want to do is possible, but may not be the most practical:

1. All 2002 and later U.S. Highlanders come with the center console you described that is integrated with the gear shift lever. What you describe can feasibly be done (if you would like to buy my cowing that covers the gear shift lever and the accompanying panel housing the cigarette lighter and 12V outlet, both for 25% of list price plus shipping, let me know via a subsequent post -- my color-scheme is beige and simulated wood grain).

2. Be aware that if you remove the center console, mounting holes in the carpet for the console will be exposed -- you will need to either plug or cover these somehow, or install a 2001 Highlander carpet (~$800 for parts).

3. More practical may be to purchase a used 2001 Highlander which typically does not have a center console (some 2001 Highlanders have a totally-different-style Toyota center console that is not integrated with the gear shift lever, so you may have to shop around a little to find one that does not have this). However, 2001 Highlanders do not have the rear seat fold-down armrest or the ventillation system filter, the latter of which can easily bee added (see posts from the last month or so).

4. In Canada the base 2002 Highlander does not have a center console, so if buying a Highlander in Canada is an option for you, then this may be the solution if 2002s are still available in Canada; word is that all 2003 Canadian Highlanders will come with the center console. See www.toyota.ca.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    FYI happened to be cruising eBay and there is a gray tonneau cover for sale; current bid is $5.00 (search for "rear cargo shade")!
  • Options
    stringfellowhstringfellowh Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone installed the TRD muffler on their Highlander? Romania/Toyotaguys has one for around $500 and change. Im interested i knowing if it truly gives the V-6 more growl or if it simply makes the truck sound like a Mitsubishi F-1 Zero making a bomb run on Pearl Harbor(not what Im looking for). Also, is anyone aware of any reputable mfrs. of headers for the 6 cylinder? Thanks.
  • Options
    fortekfortek Member Posts: 29
    TRD Muffler, Headers
    Stringfellowh
    I'm interest in seeing if anyone has installed the Sport Muffler also. I've already installed a K&N air filter and am looking for others way to improve the performance. I have also looked for a cat-back exhaust system, and headers but no luck so far. I wouldn't try putting headers on unless you could find some high flow cats, large diameter downpipes and a larger exhaust system. Without these other items I doubt you would realize the full potential of headers, but they would look awesome. Even with a K&N air filter and TRD sport exhaust I would be happy with a 4-6 horsepower increase... but I want more. What we really need is for TRD to produce a supercharger package for the 1MZ-FE V6. They have them for a varitey of other V6's, why not the Highlander?