Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Sorry, no info. on 36 mos. lease.
  • Options
    carkid21carkid21 Member Posts: 20
    I'd like to here that some people are paying about 300-400 a month for a G w/leath and premium package sedan. according to edmunds the coupe is about in the range with leather, but the only thing they show for the G sedan is the new AWD Gsedan, and I'm not looking for that, so I'm going to hope and assume that the regular sedan with leather would be a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    ialmazialmaz Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an Infiniti G35 less than a month ago and last night the front headlights of the vehicle were stolen while the car was parked at my home. What surprised me the most was how easy it was to break into this car; my 3 year old nephew could have done it himself. The thieves were able to access the vehicle's wiring and have all four windows of the car come down so that all that was left to do was to reach in and open the hood of the car. According to local police, this has been happening in my area for a long time. It has been very common with the Nissan Maxima and Altima for over a year, and recently they have been targeting all the Infiniti models. The reason is simple....it is so easy to break into the car and the lights are worth over $1,000 for the pair. I have contacted my dealer in person and Infiniti through their website and I am still waiting for them to assist me. I thought other people should be aware of this major flaw that this car has. I spent a lot of money on a car which looks to me will be be broken into very often unless Infiniti takes on this problem head on. I will have to wait and see what they come up with. All I know is that I do not plan on staying quiet about this situation.
  • Options
    cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I have an 02-03 Altima which is now currently in the care of my mother, but one night while I was downstairs watching tv, my dog was going crazy. I let him out the front door and he tore off towds the side of the house where the garage is. lol... who ever it was shir as hell was surprized cause alls I heard was a high pitched scream as my dog bit him... (funy thing is that my dog hit him hard enough to send him into the side of the car... thus setting off the alarm..) called the cops and they said that they've had other reports of people trying to steal head lights. next day I was notifyed that they had caught the person responsible (went into the emergency room to get stiches 43 to be exact) said he did it on a window pain... lol... anyways just to help back you up yeah it happens alot, but I also found out that the dealor can adjust the alarm system on the car, so that when they are getting tampared with they go off... I had a friend wire it so that if the hood is poped with the alarm set, the car alarms go off... nice to have friends with some knowledge now adays... hope you can get things straitend out and I hope you don't have it happen again... do you have a garage where you could park it?
  • Options
    well first off lets just say that I've officaly decided to go with a G35 (now coupe or sedan is yet to be decided) but you get the picture. anyways I was looking online for head rest monitors and I've always wanted them in my car. I'm wondering where I might be able to go online to get instructions on how to do the install (wiring up to the car battery and what not) the company I choose is putting in the monitors into the head rests for me already. I just have to run the wiring through the seat and to the battery. did some research into it and found that as long as I tie it into the battery and not into another systtem (ie cord for power seats) I'm not voiding the warrenty and I wont' have any electrical problems. I just want to know where I can find some instructions on how to do the wireing.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You gave up on the 5 Series? I thought a few months ago you were looking at BMW.

THe G is a good choice, though when I bought the AWD was not an option, but needing a car then was necessary.

My next purchases will consider review of the G.

As for the wiring, I would think the shop doing the installation should have a clue. I mean you are paying them to do it. If they don't know, then I wouldn't use them.

-Paul
  • Options
    they know how to do it, and actually will do it, but they are based in California, and I don't plan on driving out there, as for everything else, they install the screen into the head rest,send it back out w/ a copy of instructions and full warrenty of the parts. I was just trying to get a heads up as to if I wanted to try and do the wiring or if I should have a buddy of mine who restores cars as a hobbie do it for me. as for the 5 series, I'd love to get into that car, but unfortunatly, somewhere along the line they decided to pull a fast one. I had started signing papers for a 36 month lease with 15K a year, when I went back to sign the final papers I noticed that the final lease paper numbers were almost 160 higher than what we had signed to on the first set of papers... there response was things change and so do prices... my father went in and argued up a storm and even called some corprets to complain as well as some others but they all said that the dealor messed up the papers and there was nothing we could do, we couldn't get that lease price so I said fine I won't get a bimmer at all ... (my father also owns his own company and was looking to get rouphly 12 company cars and thought about getting the 3 series.. now thats changed big time so I hope there happy.)

though they did offer me a deal on a 3 series for the trouble but I declined, I said I liked the 5 series due to how nice the interior was, as well I like the I drive system and the 3 doesn't have it. we walked out. (several weeks later we recieved an appology letter, also asking if my father would reconsider getting the company cars, he told them only if we could continue with our original 5 series agreement... they haven't replied yet) oh well sorry for such a long response.
  • Options
    Understand now. :)

As for the wiring, when it comes to electrical, unless it is straightforward, I'd prefer to have a pro do it. There is some recourse there if things get messed up (like paying to fix it), whereas if you do it yourself, you may find yourself in a pickle if you fry something.

I wired foglamps on my Wrangler myself, it was straightforward, but I let a car audio shop install the stereo, amps, and speakers in that same car. I felt comfortable with the fog lamps, uneasy about the stereo. Go figure.

Just my opinion.

-Paul
  • Options
    well it seams strait forward, I got them to fax me a set of directions and its a simple coupe of steps... 1 is to take off the plastic piece from atop the seat and thread the wire down to the bottom, then hook it to something called a T tap. one of these wires from the T tap goes to the DVD player (which I've already found a spot to bolt it to in the trunk thats completely out of the way, and the second wire goes to the the battery for power, the only tricky part is you have two options of getting the wires aroudn. one is you can run them around the inside base of the car, barely seable, but still noticable, or you can run them though the car (ie through the fire wall where all the other wires come through... thats where I'm thinking I want my buddy to do this for me. He has some great looking cars that he's fully restored ranging from 69 mustangs to once wrecked pontiac firebirds from the junk yard to even... a classic jag which he said he'd never do again cause it was way too much work. so I'm thinking I'm just gonna take it to him and let him do it.. he said he can have it done in about an 1 - 2 hours (said he'd also wire it so that when I start the car or shut the car off they'll come on and off, and he'll put in a switch by the floor of the passenger seat that will do this manually if the car is off, or no one in the back to watch anything.
  • Options
    I love the look of black cars, and I like the look of the Black on the G, but havn't seen some of the silver colors, nor have I seen the dark blue in person yet. I'm one of those people who believe that nothing looks better than a brand new or freshly washed black car. but in the winter out here I don't get to wash it on my normal schedual (about once a week @ least) in winter this changes to 1 - 2 times a month maybe.. (only due to the 20 temps.) I don't know what I want to get the Black, polish pewter, or the dark blue (don't know what its called) what do you think
  • Options
    I love dark cars too, but hate how they show dirt. My friend has a pearl white G coupe (with rear wing) and it looks stunning!

I think the silver with black interior would look wonderful.

-Paul
  • Options
    shebellashebella Member Posts: 1
    I will be puchasing the G35 sedan this weekend (premium and areo pkgs.) but I cannot decide on color, I like both equally (1) Diamond Graphite/Graphite leather or (2) Dessert Platinum/Willow leather (I am a little concerned about the light interior getting dirty). Any thoughts to help push me one way or the other??
  • Options
    interior looks nice new but a friend who owns ones notes it is extremely hard to keep clean. Go with the graphite interior.
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I was checking out the curb weight for the AWD version and the weight increases by 1,200 lbs!
    could this be correct?

that's like having 6 big guys packed in your car.

I also noticed the est. for gas milege remained the same which couldn't be right if the weight difference is correct. No word on 0-60 performance with the AWD option either.
  • Options
    ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
    If you check out the infiniti website, the AWD adds about 310 lb (about 2 average size adults).
  • Options
    rocketgirlrocketgirl Member Posts: 11
    CJS:

I have a platinum silver w/graphite interior and titanium trim. The silver holds up well under winter dirt conditions or dry summer dust and sparkles when clean. I had a pearl white Avalon that did OK with dirt, but the dings show up as black marks. I think that the silver is a color that wears well.

I have no trouble with the graphite/titanium interior with either scratching or showing dirt/grime. I did have more dirt/grime show on the light tan interior of the Avalon I had.
  • Options
    g35_wangg35_wang Member Posts: 21
    I have a 04 G35s in Ivory Pearl. I wanted Silver at the beginning, but changed my mind at the last minute. I am so happy about that decision in the 4 month of ownership.

Silver colors are good, but do you guys see how many silver cars on the road? Just look at your packing lot. That's the main reason I choose Ivory Pearl over silver.
  • Options
    norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    shebella,

I have the desert platinum / willow. I could not be happier with my choice. The desert platinum is not very common here north of Sacramento and has a deeper luxurious shine over conventional silver. The paint does not show dirt like the darker colors. The willow is much more cooler here in the central valley and really compliments the exterior color in my opinion. The first thing I hear from people is "nice color" followed with "what kind of car is that?" Not wanting the sports package, I found the graphite interior too monotone for my liking. The titanium trim on the sports package is very nice though. Hope this information helps.
  • Options
    scottlpscottlp Member Posts: 21
    The infiniti G35X steering wheel seemed a little unusual because of the way it flares out about 2:30 and 9:30. What did everyone else think of this, and did you get used to it?
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    I like the small bumps, since they help with grip (especially when wearing winter gloves). I got used to them early on, and I suspect most people would as well. Overall, the wheel is the second-best I've ever laid my hands on, after the M-spec BMW unit.
  • Options
    8350 of 8374 NO BRAKE DUST! by adrian8 Love my 03G sedan, hated the terrible brake dust. Put on some Morse ceramic pads,(part #526C) were less than $150.00 installed. The old pads had about 8000 miles on them, they were nasty, the grooves were gummed up. Wheels stay CLEAN now. Brakes work much more evenly now, not the sudden grab.

What do other people think of this idea. I'm about to buy a new G35x and this is appealing since I don't like the "touchy brakes". It voids the warranty. Any other pros/cons? Anyone else tried this, and do you think it is a good idea?
  • Options
    ...."It voids the warranty." says it all. I'll take the dust.
  • Options
    chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    Yeah and the best stopping distance short of 1 italian supercar. Why would you buy a sprts sedan if you don't want brake power...that grabbiness wears off with a couple thou miles and you get used to it. When you have a near death situation and you really need them you will understand better what we mean.
  • Options
    I didn't realize that the ceramic brakes lessened the stopping distance. Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    I wonder if the stock brakes are wearing for a reason that benefits the cars stopping power (softness perhaps?) and I might believe that there is not much chance that changing into another pad would be better. There have been positive reviews of stillens brakes as well as ceramics from one person I can think of on the G35 but why would you &*%! with a good thing.

There are some comfort compromises with this car...motor is noisy and brakes are awesome. Audi may be a good car if you don't want the harder edge..are you done with thought of the 325?
  • Options
    It would be nice if the brakes were more gradual and less abrupt in onset, but thinking about it, it is not worth voiding the warranty, and I certainly do not want them to be less effective.

I am 90% certain I'm going to buy the G35 AWD and not the BMW, but I will drive both again within a day or two to be sure.

Audi's are out due to reliability problems (electrical).

I suspect I'll still find the BMW more pleasurable to drive, but the infinity is likely to be more reliable--this is probably the main reason. It also has one nice safety feature (active headrests i.e. the headrest comes forward to help prevent whiplash during an accident) that the BMW does not. There was more...but my alzheimer's must be acting up. I'll post in the other thread to let everyone know what I decide.
  • Options
    adrian8adrian8 Member Posts: 12
    I put on the ceramic pads, the braking power is the same as the OEM pads as far as I can tell, just no initial grab. On my old I30t the ceramics I put on gave it better stopping power than the stock pads. Infiniti reimbursed me for the brake job on the G35 and it said ceramic pads on the repair bill. Absolutely no brake dust, and great stopping power with the ceramics, maybe better than the stockers. They do cost more than OEM pads. Love the car, put on the Invinca-shield hood and bumper cover, no chips, nicks, was not hard to do.
  • Options
    THe rotor wear could still be an issue - how many miles do you have on them - please keep us informed.
  • Options
    wh9wh9 Member Posts: 32
    I have 35,000 miles on my G35 brakes. Took it in to be checked under the recall and all is OK. They said I had 50% left.
  • Options
    I have about 9k on the car. Brake problems with warped rotors can be attributed to driving habits. Some people drive like they are at LeMans, and some drive like they are going to church. Ceramics cost more than standard pads... ever hear of a manufacturer putting on the best, most expensive parts? Not very often. Try-em, you will like-em.
  • Options
    msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I think the new pads installed under warranty are different from the original pads? They still vomit brake dust, but seem to feel better. Also seem to stop on a dime.

The ceramics you add may void the warranty.
  • Options
    "brake problems....can be attributed to driving habits."

NOT always. At 15,000 mi. my front pads were all but shot, yet my tires reflected little wear (more like 5000 mi,). I do not drive like I'm at Lemans.
  • Options
    wh9wh9 Member Posts: 32
    I don't drive like LeMans either, but I do put 23,000 miles a year on my car. A lot of highway driving when not at home. Maybe I got a lucky G.
  • Options
    When your brake pads are shot after 15K, the pads were junk or you drove like a maniac; which I seriously doubt. I have never worn out a set of pads in less than 60K, some lasting 100K. The stock pads are probably really soft,(grabby)spew dust and were cheap for Infiniti. You get what you pay for. I love the ceramic pads, very smooth and gradual with great stopping power, used them today in a driving rain. My wheels look like the day the car was delivered, remember that?
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    You will not void your warranty unless the dealer can prove that the modification directly led to the problem. This is backed up by a piece of consumer protection legislation called the "Magnusson Morris Act". This goes for virtually any modification done to a vehicle. For example if a headlight burns out but I have upgraded brake pads, the dealer must fix the headlight under warranty.

It seems to get a little more vague when dealing with engine upgrades however the same rules apply. If I put a cold air intake on and for some unrelated reason my alternator dies, the dealer cannot use the modification as a reason to void covering the alternator. If however you put on ceramic pads and have a rotor warping problem, the dealer may challenge you and under the consumer protection provisions of the Magnusson Morris act, he may win because the upgrade may have been directly related to the problem.

I had a dealer once try to pull the "It's not covered because you have modified the car" line on me. Once I talked to the service manager and mentioned the Magnusson Morris Act, he quickly changed his tune and promptly honored the warranty.
  • Options
    coreywcoreyw Member Posts: 17
    Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a G35 M6. When I was talking to the sales puke, he gave me a pure MSRP quote. I said that I've never paid MSRP for a car and don't intend to now. I mentioned that I'll go to another dealer (different city) and get a quote from them as well.

So he says, "well, if you do that and bring your car here for service, we will not necessarily be able to give you a loaner car because you didn't buy from us. The cost of the service loaners is built into your purchase price from us."

What's the story here? What if I move to another city? Am I treated as a second class citizen just because I moved?

Anyone know the official story on Infiniti and service loaners? Or is this guy just 'serving' me a load of crud?

Thanks!
    C.
  • Options
    ewoqewoq Member Posts: 37
    Firstly, there is certainly some movement in the selling price of the G35, though perhaps less so on the M6 as there are so few of them - strictly supply and demand. In any case, make an offer and I'm sure they will come back with a higher counter offer. You'll have to be willing to "walk" from that dealership (salesperson).
    Secondly, re a loaner, just telephone the service department and inquire about booking a loaner. I find it unbelievable that they would differentiate or even care where the car came from. You are "business" for them. I think you should deal with a different salesperson - this person makes his commission fee from selling to you and he/she is not being helpful.
  • Options
    From what I understand, Infiniti's still under warranty in for service will be provided with a loaner. That is part of the Infiniti ownership "experience" and holds regardless of where bought and where serviced. I would mention this to the salesperson and in the same breath indicate that his attitude will send you to another dealer.
  • Options
    rocketgirlrocketgirl Member Posts: 11
    I bought my G35 in Northern VA and have had recall and 15,000 mile services done in Richmond - no problems or questions and I got a loaner each time. When you buy your car it will be in the service database so where ever you get service done, it will be noted on your "record."

-R
  • Options
    wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    The line about the loaner cars is absolute nonsense. The loaner car provision is Infiniti policy and has nothing to do with the dealer. If you do buy a car from another dealer and they refuse to gie you a loaner when you request one then get straight on the 'phone to HQ in Gardena.
  • Options
    ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    We're not referring to the general warranty here, we're referring to the specific Brake Pad & Rotor 3yr/36k mi warranty Infinti came out with to address premature break wear. Obviously, they don't have to cover an aftermarket part under warranty. They still have to cover your headlights, as it were, but with aftermarket pads on your car, they won't replace them for free when they wear out.
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Ok, here is my situation. After just purchasing a new full size SUV for my wife, my German luxury import hit the magic 50k mark and decided to stop acting nice. So I've been looking around, and have decided the G35 AWD is the way to go. I have a decently long commute mileage-wise, and don't want to worry about getting out of warranty ahead of normal schedule. I've owned an early Q45 and a '98 QX4 and never had any problems. Additionally, I LOVE my local dealership. Do I get the absolute lowest price I can possibly get when negotiating with this dealership? Probably not. But I get a fair deal (usually I hit the other two dealerships first for a week or so before going to the preffered one), which is usually a few hundred $ more than the other lowest offer. When you're in the 30k+ range, the experience and comfort is worth a few extra bucks IMO- as long as it's not $400 or more. The I'd go another route in all likelihood.

Anyway, we were looking at the RL- but I just like the G35 better. Don't know why, and maybe it's that I've never been a huge Acura fan. Solid cars, family member had an early Legend which was fine, but something just doesn't do it for me.

Here's the only issue, and if someone could help me out that would be great. How's the real cargo room in this sedan? I'm not expecting anything major, but I do have a family of 4- 2 real young children and my wife. We have the SUV for trips and such, but how am I with 2 car seats in the back and trunk space? Is it a real compact trunk? I like the BMW 300 series, but there's no room at all there which kills it for me. I love the Audi A4 for the HUGE trunk and luxury, but out of warranty good luck.

So, for useability, where do I stand and the interior and trunk room? Will I be ok for the occasional drive with the whole family? Can I fit a large suitcase or two in the trunk on a business trip?

Thanks!
  • Options
    eticketrideeticketride Member Posts: 53
    I can relate to your situation. We have 2 young children (2.5yrs & 3 months), a ford explorer and a 2003 G35 sedan. I think the G35 has ample room in the trunk. I always carry a softball bag in the car. On occasion, I put a stroller in the trunk too. Not a problem. There is plenty of room for just a suit case or two.

In addition, I have two seats in the back for the kids, one in the middle and one on the side. There is enough room for my wife to sit in the back with the kids. I can also sit back there. It sometimes feels like there is more shoulder room back there than in the explorer back seat with two car seats.

I never seen the trunk of the AWD, but I would guess it is the same size. You would have to confirm this...Hope this helps.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I think the trunk space is OK. It would fit one large suitcase (I think I have a 29 or 30" one - not sure but it is very big) but not two. You could put other smaller bags in there, of course. The rear seats do not fold down; there is a small pass-through. But since you already have an SUV that may not matter.

I've had one car seat in my car (for a 3 YO) for a few days and it seemed to fit fine.
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    The info from you guys has helped. My kids are about even in age with eticketride, so that's nice to hear. Yeah, most of our trips will be with the SUV, so outside of my own personal baggage (no pun intended :)) it will be more diaper bags, strollers, etc. But that stuff mounts up, even for a trip to the mall, and just wanted to make sure I'm ok.

I guess I'll bring a bunch of stuff to the local dealer and see if they mind. I think they'd be fine letting us attempt to fit some stuff in there....
  • Options
    ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    It's bigger than it looks. More like a BMW 5 than a 3 in cargo room. With a little effort, I've managed to squeeze a pretty large stroller into the trunk. We also did a family trip to Vegas in the G35, which turned out to be quite roomy. Only had one kid with the second on-the-way for that trip, so no stroller. Once the 2nd one is old enough to dump the stroller, we may be able to go places in the sedan again. The G35 is just fine for around-town trips with the whole crew. I do have an Expedition for the bigger trips, though.
  • Options
    bjvjsbjvjs Member Posts: 27
    I am considering an XM radio or Sirius in a G35. I know it can be installed in either the optional Bose stereo or the standard stereo. How does it sound in either system and what type of installation fees were paid. I have been quoted between $150 to $450 for installation only. Thanks
  • Options
    wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Is your G35 an '03 or '04? If it is pre-wired for sat then installtion should need 1 to 1.5 hours at the dealer so around $150 sounds fair enough. The unit sounds good on either system. It's a digital receiver, not FM modulated (doesn't play on an FM band frequency) so the quality is really nice.
  • Options
    bjvjsbjvjs Member Posts: 27
    I am looking at a 2004 G35x sedan with the xm.
  • Options
    rslnp1rslnp1 Member Posts: 29
    Gold;
         I have a G-35 and a Forester XT and travel to the NC beaches for ten days each month from DC. The trunk room in the G-35 is fine for 3 med. sized suitcases and a bunch of small stuff. There is 14 cubic ft. of space which is not impeded by hinges so nothing is crushed. For large loads the SUV is better, but the G-35 trunk capacity matches anything in it's class.
This discussion has been closed.