Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Wow, that's AWESOME!! Do you have the Rockford Fosgate system or not? I don't, but my stereo still recognizes that there is No DVD when the AUX button is pushed. Did you lose any features on your stereo? Also, if you don't mind shooting me an email with part numbers I'd really appreciate it. My email is this name (akangl) at aol.com. Thanks again for the info.

Now if Nissan could just fix my truck I will get it done, otherwise I don't know what's going to happen.
  • Options
    vatitanvatitan Member Posts: 5
    I'm ready to buy an '04 Titan King SE 4wd and have some package questions;

1. I'm thinking about not getting the off road package - i will only be doing occasional off road, mostly in sand - Is the electronic locking diff important? What is offerd without the offroad package for the diff? I prefer the look of the SE stock 18" 5 spoke rims - is it a mistake not get the 17" 7 spoke for off road use? What is the real difference with the shocks? Are skid plates wise? How much would it be to add them?

Thanks
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    No I don't have a Titan. But the symptom is classic.

The oil pressure should stabilize at the bypassed pressure, what ever the engine designers have set it at. At idle the pressure may be lower (ie: >< 20psi), but as RPM is increased the oil pressure should increase as well. Since too much oil pressure is a problem, the bypass valve is calibrated to limit it at a certain design pressure point. This could be 40-70 PSI depending on the engine.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    tvo1tvo1 Member Posts: 9
    I just got my 2004 Titan crewcab 2 days ago. Yesterday, washing the truck, I found 2 welding spots on the rear right side of the roof were paint over(factory paint?. They were not on the left side of the roof where the "groove" for water to driff down. They look like rusts spots. Any of you see this on your truck. BTY, I also see black painted caulking on it too. My truck is black. The paint look like it's original paint from manufacture.
  • Options
    Copper,
    Are you trying to install not-factory DVD player in your Titan? I want to install one on my too. How do you do it? Where do I find the installation document?

Thank you for your advice.
    Tvo1
  • Options
    I just noted my Titan does the same thing. At idle, the needle stays at the middle. When I step on the gas, it moves yo the right. I called the dealer service center. They said that it is normal.

Is it happen on other Titans too? If it happened on your Titan, please post and let us know.

I have 3 other cars (not Nissan) but I don't see the oil gauge moves.
  • Options
    Didn't notice if the new one I drove today did it, will look on Friday when/if we buy it. I'm hoping to swap out of my early build date Titan into a later build date, mine is a bit of a PITA, the new one seemed to be better built.
  • Options
    justinincjustininc Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I have the same ticking sound too, it's pretty annoying especially with the radio off. However, if it's "normal" I guess I'll have to live with it. My Titan has only 1,400 miles, got it a month or so ago and don't recall this happening before.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Oil pressure in your engine will fluctuate. At idle it will ber lower, usually 30-40 psi, and about 60 psi at higher speeds.

I do not have oil pressure gauge in my Nissans, but have other vehicles with oil pressure gauges and it all of them oil pressure drops at idle. I have seen pickup truck oil pressure gauges that never fluctuate (e.g. Ford Ranger), but that may be due to type of oil pressure sender they use.
  • Options
    hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Check this out. This is what was causing my tick sound.
    http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04
    It was the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve & piping. Got this info off the titantalk board.
  • Options
    scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I was told that the Titans/Armadas are fitted with a "Real time" oil pressure gauge. That meaning that the gauge is very fast acting. The old school gauges could lose pressure, and you would not know about it for a few moments. They are NOT broken, just hyper.
  • Options
    weatherman44weatherman44 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you saw an improvement in gas milage after switching to synthetic fluids?
    How much did the dealer charge?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Not sure I really saw an improvement, maybe I guess. We switched the truck to synthetic and winter hit, I was averaging 16 mpg running snow tires and 4WD, plus some city driving and idling. Not too shabby I don't think. In the summer I was averaging the same in 2WD with no snow tires. We no longer have the truck, so I won't know on that one. We have a new Titan now and will be switching it at 3-5000 miles to synthetic. Will report back when I have a good idea about how it does.

As for how much the dealer charged, I did NOT have them switch it, did it myself......errr, hubby did it. Oil was $40 and the filter was $10, used Amsoil 0W-30 and an Amsoil SDF filter. Cold starting was a lot easier, I know that much.
  • Options
    weatherman44weatherman44 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info.
    I plan on switching to Amsoil around 5K miles.
    I currently have 1500 miles and get close to 14 MPG. I would consider 16mpg to be pretty good.
  • Options
    tbowen767tbowen767 Member Posts: 2
    I think I may have found the solution to the "hissing" noise with the A/C. I noticed when I turned my defrost on, the A/C compressor turned on. When I turned the defrost off (to vent or other selection) I could not turn the compressor off. The light goes off like the compressor should be off, but it still hisses and puts out cold air. I took it in to find out what was wrong. They said the A/C control board (I think that is what they called it) was bad. They replaced that and both problems have gone away. Hope that helps. Let me know if that was the wrong part and I will get a copy of the service and post the proper part.
  • Options
    leyley Member Posts: 1
    this is normal on the 5.6 liter v8 nissans. titans and armadas both act this way. if you dont have oil pressure then you need to be concerned.
  • Options
    gotitansgotitans Member Posts: 3
    I think you way over loaded it. The 9500lb tow rating is with a weight distributing hitch. Look at the fine print in your manual on page 9-23. Most manufacturers are not very clear about their tow ratings. All maximum tow rating require a WDH. Nissan does not really tell you what the dead weight rating is. I would use the 7300lb with a tongue weight of 740lb to be safe. Also, you don't say what gear you were towing in. Never tow a heavy load in "D". Use 4th for normal towing and move down as conditions require. I love my Titan, but it sounds to me that your towing needs may require a dually.
  • Options
    This clunking sound could be your anti-lock brake test. I noticed the same sound just a few seconds after I start the engine and first start to move. I found a statement in the manual (5-28) about a clunk noise during the anti-lock self test feature.
  • Options
    I saw the same forum message. I have not had any problems yet and have tow a trailer for 1000 mile straight. I just checked my fluid level and it seemed low. I would say about a 1/2" below the fill hole. Now, it is cold here now. Does anyone know how much temperature will effect the level?
  • Options
    winkwink Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Titan SE at the end of June and I've done 4 big trips in it and not a lot of local driving. Aside from my CD player eating a CD on the first trip and Nissan taking a month to replace the CD player and 2 months to return my CDs, my only complaint is the lousy key fob. I carry my keys in my left rear pocket, and have had a key fob for the last 600K miles worth of Acuras(2), Infinity(1) and Buick(1). I've never had a problem. Now in 11,000 miles I've destroyed the plastic cover through which the buttons show on both of my key fobs for my Titan. Seems to me when you have a truck called a Titan, the key fob should be able to survive a man's bony rear pocket without too much trouble. I ended up losing the cover pieces on one, and it works fine but has nothing to stop the buttons from being pushed. the 2nd I wrapped with electrical tape to keep the broken pieces from getting lost. Short of buying another ultra fragile key fob, obviously engineered for a purse, not a pocket, does anyone have a solution? My Infinity QX4 key fob survived for 5 years and 108,000 miles. Maybe I can buy a QX4 one and reprogram?
  • Options
    cmoore1cmoore1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been fighting with Nissan since I took Possession of my truck because of vibration problems. They have not been a good company to work with. They have replaced tires, rims, and drive shaft. Nissan refuse to believe that a lemon got out of the box! Is anyone else having problems with vibration at particular speeds?
  • Options
    tbowen767tbowen767 Member Posts: 2
    I only have about 6K miles on mine, but it is solid as a rock. No vibrations at all. I've taken it off road a few times, and the road to my house is no new path. May just be an isolated incident. Hopefully anyway.
  • Options
    2gen4542gen454 Member Posts: 2
    I know it's early, but I want to see if all the redesigning Nissan did actually took care of all the little problems these trucks were having before I go out and buy one. I really want one of these trucks, but I know with my luck any inherent problems the model may be having will, most definitely, be in the truck that I decide to buy.
  • Options
    roadkillroadkill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 LE with big tow package.

I just turned 1200 miles today and developed a knocking/popping noise at low speeds <25mph. It occurs after I accelerate quickly and then release the gas completely (city driving). At first I thought it was the gas pedal itself but quickly ruled that out. It almost sounds like a backfire but doesn't occur unless I am moving. Anyone have any ideas? It is so loud that people in a parking lot pointed it out to me also.
  • Options
    halfshovelhalfshovel Member Posts: 2
    There is a TSB out for this problem. It's common. Go to TitanTalk.com and do a search. You'll find your answer. I'm a member and a moderator of the FAQ section.

HS
  • Options
    sjnsjn Member Posts: 1
    This event happens to my Titan especially when it is cold. I would have been equally concerned but remembered that my brother's 82 NIssan Maxima did that also and his car lasted over 200k miles and had it for 5 years.
  • Options
    bjfrance1bjfrance1 Member Posts: 1
    A day or so after I took home my 2005 Titan 4X4 I noticed the fuel gauge did not move no matter how much driving I did. The dealer just replaced the entire instrument cluster in hopes of fixing the problem, bud did not have success. The original fuel gauge was always a little above the full mark, the new one is right on the full mark after driving approx. 120 city miles while in 4-wheel drive.

Has anyone else had this problem, or have any idea what the problem is? -Thanks!
  • Options
    campy12campy12 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have the same problem. It is going in next week for repair. Somewhere between 3/4 and 1/2 a tank, my gauge shoots up to full then doesn't move until it gets below 1/2 a tank again (sometimes). They plan to replace the float in the tank.
  • Options
    dawg23dawg23 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody have a problem with the finish and/or labels wearing off on the steering wheel controls for the radio and cruise control ??

My dealer has replaced the plastic "switch covers" due to flaking/disappearing surface finish. Now the replacement covers are doing the same thing.(the switch covers have a sort of metalflake finish that is being rubbed off and now there is black "primer" visible).

I know my hands aren't greasy or oily (I work in an office all day) and I've never had this on my Tahoes, wife's Lexus, cell phone buttons or anything else. Dealer is getting pretty snotty about replacing the covers again - says I must have have been "scratching them with my keys".

Help !
  • Options
    I've heard of some people having that problem, I never did with my first Titan in 5 months/15k miles. The second one is 6 weeks old with 3k on it and no problems.
  • Options
    accumacaccumac Member Posts: 16
    I have the same defective coating on my steering wheel. I have seen this kind of surface wear on the interior of Nissans over the past 20 years so I almost expected it.

By the way, I have 29K on my 1 year and 1 week old Titan, I am on my second set of front rotors and pads (pulsating brakes). The caliper hangers were replaced with the second set. I think I will get 10 to 15K more miles out of my 18" tires. I still get that great feeling out of the acceleration and ride especially after having a '05 Ford F150 slug as a loaner during the last service and brake repair. My gas mileage has varied between 13 and 15.5, I do a lot of highway but I don't try to conserve. I feel that I purchased this horsepower for a reason so I use it. Despite the early production problems that I have encountered I will definitely replace this Titan with another when the time comes.
  • Options
    tarrington1978tarrington1978 Member Posts: 6
    Mine has been replaced twice now and seems the second time is a charm! You better go ahead and take it in because it will take about 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive. It is a very common problem according to an inside source of mine (area manager at Nissan). Good luck!
  • Options
    joeprinterjoeprinter Member Posts: 14
    Why did you trade a truck with only 15k miles?
  • Options
    joeprinterjoeprinter Member Posts: 14
    I was told that you have to use premium fuel in the titan! is this true? and what is the expected mpg for average city/hwy?
  • Options
    Traded it for a new later build date 04 Titan.
  • Options
    Nope, no premium fuel required. Mine averages about 14 mpg right now in the winter hwy running winter tires and idling. Summer it was getting 16-17 mpg hwy and about 12-14 city, depends on how lead your foot is.
  • Options
    pottsy2pottsy2 Member Posts: 2
    Today i washed the Titan ,then went to the local store to pick up some things..Came home went to put it the garage for the night. Turned it off open the door. Went to start it back up and it will not start. Checked everything fuses, battery power checked it all .Everything checks out good,but still will not start. Was wondering if there is a switch somewhere that is not engaging something like a netraul safety switch. Any help would be great
  • Options
    Pottsy2, you may have already tried the following:

turn the ignition key and pull your shift lever thru the gears and then make sure it is fully engaged in the park position.

Next, on the battery, make sure you are physically trying to move the positive & negative cables at the connection points to be sure they are securely fastened. Don't just eyeball them.

Since I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I would be out of ideas at this point myself. Sorry I couldn't help more.
  • Options
    pottsy2pottsy2 Member Posts: 2
    Hogboy,thanks for getting back with me.i tryed everything but nothing worked .the dealer has it now.i will let you all know what was wrong with it when i get it back
  • Options
    titan2005titan2005 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with the fuel gauge. Did you find a solution ?
  • Options
    I have the same problem and want to know if the dealer fixed your truck and what worked.
  • Options
    Which problem is this? The one where the gauge doesn't read full (what mine does sometimes) or the one where it reads full all the time?
  • Options
    teleromeoteleromeo Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 04 SE CC with DVD & big tow,overhead rack, sliding trays...etc.

Keep in mind I only used the truck four times going Back & forth betwwen NY & TX. Truck was purchased in TX.

My problems are:

1) Check engine light comes on & has a very heavy gas smell. Whenever I start filling up the nozzle pops when I start & gas pours out. Dealer told me that it was a untighten fuel cap (Trust me that was the first thing I checked)

2) Crazy squeaking around the dashboard. Dealer told me that there is a TSB for insulations around the dash & it takes a whole day to do.

3)4LO light blinking while driving. Dealer told me the 4WD plug was not secured.

4) Overhead console was cracked. Dealer replaced it.

5) DVD Screen scratched.Dealer is fighting me about that.

6) When I first had the truck gas was great, not anymore.

7) FM reception decides to have stereo whenever it feels like it.

Not quite what I expected for a new truck but we will see what the dealer will do for us.
  • Options
    campy12campy12 Member Posts: 2
    Yes,

They replaced the mechanism in the tank. No problems since, it's been about 2 weeks now.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply to my question.

My problem is that the fuel gauge sticks on full, which is most of the time, or the gauge will go back to full around half a tank. The gauge will also go to half a tank after only 115 miles.

This helps me when I take it to the dealer.

Thanks again campy12
  • Options
    Teleromeo, your gas filling problem is pretty wide spread. Most folks are having problems if they let the tank fall below 1/4 before refueling and then they try to fill it too fast & gas spews all over the place. If you let it go below 1/4 tank pump your first couple of gallons in nice and slow and that seems to release the extra air in the tank. Then you can fill it faster (at least that has been the fix for some.) There has been a lot about this subject over on titantalk and other sites. I haven't let my tank fall below 1/4 and pump the whole thing on the slow side. Thankfully no gas on my jeans or shoes yet. Rattles have been common too especially with earlier build dates. Haven't experienced your other issues.
  • Options
    teleromeoteleromeo Member Posts: 2
    Thats what i have been doing lately. I actually wanted to run out of gas to get the true consumption. (Dont worry had a tank of fuel with me). Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    fritzoschitzofritzoschitzo Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I get it too, but it sounds more like pinng noise!
  • Options
    When I'm driving and I step on the brake and bring my truck to a stop, it always make clicking sound from the shifter console. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's a normal operational noise. Reportedly, it's a safety feature that move every time you brake to a stop. This is crazy! I test drove a 2005 and it did it also. the dealer is attempting to place a thin piece of foam to help absorb the noise. has anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Yes, I had the same problem also. The mechanism inside the tank was changed and its been ok since then