Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    A car is more than just a bunch of features packaged together. Just cause Hyundai throws them into a car doesn't mean that that car is now somehow the sublime vehicle in its class. They obviously use mid-line quality parts cause the fit and finish of a Hyundai isn't like a Honda. So yea, you get the features, but you don't get the quality of feature that a Camry or Accord will give you.

Kinda like a tool set from China. Yea you get all the pieces that Kobalt would give you, but their feel, heft, finish, quality etc. leave much to be desired.

The Sonatas I test drove were decent vehicles, but hardly on par with an Accord.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    They obviously use mid-line quality parts cause the fit and finish of a Hyundai isn't like a Honda.

I will respectfully disagree with you on this. Recently I have looked at many different cars including Honda and Hyundai. Hyundai is real close, if not on par with anyone else including Honda.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're here to compare the Sonata, the Accord, the Camry and the Fusion. While I do understand that the manufacturers' histories are not irrelevant in making purchasing decisions, we have spent way too much time talking about vehicles and issues that simply are not the subject of this discussion.

Broader comparisons of manufacturers and/or discussions of various issues of these manufacturers are more appropriate for our News & Views board. If you don't see a discussion that fits what you'd like to discuss, feel free to start a new one.

I have removed a couple of posts that are not about the subject vehicles and will need to continue to do so.

Thanks for your cooperation and your understanding.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have to disagree also. I've driven two '06 Sonatas and closely inspected dozens of them. I've also driven the Accord, Camry, and Fusion and looked at a lot of those. I don't see a significant difference between the parts quality of the Sonata, Accord, and Camry. Fit and finish on the Sonata and Accord were comparable. I saw several Camrys with misaligned trunk lids but otherwise they were good. I did see a significant difference between these 3 cars and the Fusion. The Fusion had huge gaps around the hood (also mentioned in 3rd-party reviews) and some cheap-looking plastics in the interior.
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I find the high end Accord's have superior workmanship. The base models of the Accord seem to be on par with the Sonata.
  • Options
    That is interesting. Are they built on different assembly lines? I know the HAH comes from Japan, but otherwise I thought the different trim levels were all made by the same factories/people.
  • Options
    bp25bp25 Member Posts: 11
    Before I bought my Sonata LX I test drove the camry and accord. I found the Sonata to be superior in most ways I could tell from the test drive. Now, I am completely happy with my decision. Happy car buying!
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Why are Honda Accord sales slipping so much?? My bet its pricing."

If you remember right when the accord came out brand new in 02-03 the exterior styling was very controversal and Honda turned off some of its younger buyer audience that buy the accord 4 dr. Despite the exterior styling comsmetic change for the 06 model to rear of the car its newly refreshed design just hasn't been well recieved by the buying public. I am a Honda fan and I thought that was one of the worst Honda exterior designs ever(the 03 Accord.) The car was just way too bland looking in my opinion. The mid 90's Accord is much better looking than the current model.
  • Options
    "To dismiss Hyundia as a lower end car manufacturer is a serious mistake. I am sure Ford/GM/Honda/Toyota management disagree with those of you who feel this way. And I am sure they are keeping an eye on Hyundia."

I do respect Hyundai but they still have to charge much less money than Honda, Toyota, and Nissan do on their cars and trucks. In my opinion for Hyundai's to become as respected as the Japanese BIg 3 they are going to have to charge the same prices on their cars and trucks that the Japanese Big 3 do. I am not anti-Hyundai at all but I'm just stating my opinion.
  • Options
    "The days of unreliable Fords and GM products are gone. The new word is "refinement". I believe consumers are starting to question the constant beating into our heads by the media that all Fords and GM products are garbage and totally unreliable. Fact is quality and reliability has taken leaps and bounds from these two manufacturers. I honestly believe over the next 5 years you are going to see the tide start to turn for GM and Ford as consumers see you don't have to pay a premium price to get a good, reliable, solid vehicle.."

I'm with you on Ford getting back on track but GM? I mean the only hot GM sellers are Caddys, GMC, and Chevy SUV's. GM just stuggles in the 15-25K car segement where Honda, Toyota, and Nissan(Altima) get the meat of their sales. Quality is not all that sells cars its the porduct overall and how the buying public receives it as well. I mean look at the Chrysler 300C. I mean Chrysler really have that much of a better reputation than GM? I don't think so. I should note in my opinion that Chrysler to me has had a better product overall(better styling and interior plastics) for the past 10 years than GM has had.

Ford I have been more impressed with over the past few years but GM? I don't see a come back(for GM)in the next few years.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    That line of reasoning makes no sense to me. Shouldn't we as consumers be looking for the most car for the dollar? If Hyundai or any other manufacturer can come out with a car that is close to or maybe even equal to its competitors in performance, features, and quality and can also price it lower, what is bad about that to us the car buying public?

Is our ego so fragile we have to have a Honda H or Toyota T on the hood instead of a Hyundai H, or a Blue Oval, so we spend more than we need to?

You can argue that "Hyundai has to charge less" because of a number of reasons such as perceived or real quality, poorer handling or design, etc. But an equally valid argument can be made that they are trying to grab or maintain market share and are willing to sacrifice some per unit profitability to do it.

Lower prices do not by definition mean substandard.
  • Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    The only reason Ford and GM have improved their quality at all is because of foreign competiton. They would still be producing the same crap at the same outrageous prices if they could get away with it. They had absolutely no loyalty to their customers and now they are shocked that Americans have no loyalty towards them. In 4 or 5 years Ford and GM will either be gone or just about gone - good riddance.
  • Options
    Trust me if our only choice was Honda or Toyota all we would have is crap at outrageous prices. A monopoly breads junk and high prices while any competition does the exact opposite.

• Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Snakeweasel you are certainly correct on that but my point is stil valid in that Ford and GM seem to try to play the the "your unpatriotic" if you don't buy American. I am just trying to point out their hypocrisy.
  • Options
    lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I am looking at the cars mentioned in this thread but the Mazda 6 (base model, 4 cyl) looks pretty sharp and seems on a par with the other cars in this thread- is it? Something I am missing? Input welcomed!
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    lweiss,

I think many people dismiss it b/c of its relatively tight interior. The Ford Fusion uses the great chassis of the 6 and improves on it with distinctive bodywork and larger interior space.
  • Options
    iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Personally I find it appalling that anyone living in the US could make a statement that they hope that Ford and GM would go out of business. It wouldn't be so funny if it pertained to your business/profession, would it?
  • Options
    kgibbs29kgibbs29 Member Posts: 7
    Here is the link to a comparison test Edmunds conducted last summer.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=106434/pageNumber=1?s- ynpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/106434/art- icle.html

Edmunds asked Honda, Toyota, & Hyundai for a car priced under $22K. The Edmund's quote showcased in the new Sonata commercial is taken from this article.

But to directly answer your question, I say buy the Hyundai Sonata. My other car is a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE (the wife uses it). I got a new job where most days I must venture into the office (last job I worked exclusively from home), so we needed another car now.

I looked at the Nissan Altima SE-R, the Honda Accord EX V-6, the Toyota Camry XLE V-6, and the Hyundai Sonata LX. I chosed these cars because after owning a Nissan (originally bought for my mother-in-law), I have come to like the brand. Since I have never owned any sort of Toyota, its selection is based soley on reputation. I have owned several Honda's; the most recent being a 1992 Acura Vigor GS. The Hyundai was added to the mix due to all the positive reviews on the internet (Edmunds.com, Car.com, MotorWeek, etc.

Based on Edmunds TMV pricing, A fully loaded Camry is currently $27,728, Accord is $27,766 (Edmunds doesn't allow for the addition of options for some reason), Altima is $28,361, and the Sonata is $22,333. That's a difference of $5,395, $5,433, and $6,028; respectively. All of these TMV prices from Edmunds are inclusive of Destination Charges and any Rebates offered. They do not include any Taxes, Tag, Title, Insurance, or Warranty charges. These must all be added to the prices listed.

I chose the Sonata mainly based on most bang for the buck. I got it for the low price of $23,538. And by "got it," I mean the price includes everything: the car, the options, destination, taxes, tag, title, gap insurance, extended warranty (10 year bumper-to-bumper), and whatever else.

Now do I have complaints? Yes!
    1.) the annoying fasten your seat belt chime goes off every minute until belt is fastened.
    2.) no button of steering wheel to change radio station, track, or directory; only volume controls on steering wheel.
    3.) interior color choice. I like the light grey w/ metallic finish over the beige w/ wood finish. But if you navigate the Korean Hyundai site, the Koreans get a third option (DARK GREY). It matches the upper portion of interior in US versions.
    4.) Korean version has addition factory installed options. Whereas in the US, only the dealer will install the geniune Hyundai parts. What parts? Huge screen Navigation System and Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM). The Navigation goes where the radio/cd changer is located. And then the disc changer replaces the cubby compartment under the temperature controls.
  • Options
    jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    While Hyundai's intial quality has continued to rise the key is what happens down the road. If you look at resale values there is where the real story of quality, dependability and consumer confidence lies. Fact is a Hyundai is worth a lot less than a Honda or Toyota and not ALL because the price is lower at the start.
  • Options
    94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    I was faced with the same decision as well. I picked the 2006 Sonatoa GLS I4 for about $3,500 cheaper than I could buy a similar equipped Camry or Accord. After test driving them all I felt the Accord was the best (Not by Much) with the Sonata a close 2nd and the Camry a distant 3rd.

The Sonata also came with Alloy wheels, side curtain airbags, ESC, and 4 wheel disc brakes. After looking at the competition I felt the Accord wasn't worth the price difference and purchased a Sonata.

I have now been a happy owner of the Sonata and haven't had any rattles or problems with the car for over 5,000 miles now, which included a trip to Iowa in Dec. This car amazes me in that the quality and price don't seem to match. One of the few times that I felt I got more than what I paid for.
  • Options
    kgibbs29kgibbs29 Member Posts: 7
    True for the most part. I think with each successive release, Hyundai is building a better product. The Sante Fe was better than anything previous to it, the Tuscon is of better quality than the Sante Fe, the new Sonata is of better quality than the Tuscon, the Azera just has more features than the Sonata, and the 2007 Sante Fe is of even better quality. (Just saw it today)
  • Options
    sonatamesonatame Member Posts: 72
    b>I find the high end Accord's have superior workmanship. The base models of the Accord seem to be on par with the Sonata

I wash and wax both a 2004 Honda Accord EX and a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and I find no difference in door alignments, hood and trunk placement or any other connective part. I like the trunk latches better on the Sonata, but like the way the Accord trunk pops up when you open it.

Since you are an Accord advocate, have you noticed that the Accords eat rocks and insects on the front hood for about 2 feet up from the front. I have a few friends that have also experienced this and it really looks awful when you wax it unless you use a color wax. We do a tremendous amount of interstate driving at 70 to 80 mph.
  • Options
    I'm glad you are happy but c'mon 5,000 miles will not tell you enough about the car. My folks a long time ago praised their 1st Saturn as the best car for their money, that was until 60,000 miles when they decided it was the worst decision they ever made! I will be more interested in your comments in the next couple years when it has 50K to 60k on it. In the meantime enjoy.
  • Options
    Fact is a Hyundai is worth a lot less than a Honda or Toyota and not ALL because the price is lower at the start.

I don't know about that, I checked the values at Kelly Blue Book on my Elantra and compared them to a similarly priced Civic of the same year with the same mileage (130k). While the Elantra is indeed less it is only about $160 less.

• Options
    Ask kbb to stroke you a check, it won't happen. Go to a dealership to trade-in and I guarantee you that it is more than $160.00. Put it up for sale yourself and tell people the price vs a Civic of the same parameters and watch them chuckle.
  • Options
    If resale is your main objective in buying a car you really should look at leasing. No matter what brand you buy, your investment loses huge amounts of money as soon as you drive it off the lot.

So far most of the people in this forum seem to keep their cars 5-years or more and at that stage the value of your trade becomes more dependent on what you trade for than what you have. I am betting my Sonata LX will be equal to any Camry or Accord after my 10 year warranty runs out.
  • Options
    Since you are an Accord advocate, have you noticed that the Accords eat rocks and insects on the front hood for about 2 feet up from the front. I have a few friends that have also experienced this and it really looks awful when you wax it unless you use a color wax. We do a tremendous amount of interstate driving at 70 to 80 mph.

I haven't experienced any problems with the paint, but I do have chips (from mini accidents :P) I was just recently was forced off the road into an icy snow bank, very frightening experience. My Accord managed to come out with no scratches.

Let me clarify what I meant by "superior workmanship", I should have directed that towards the interior.
  • Options
    The only problem with that is that in order to truly test your theory is to have both my car and the civic with the same miles both equipped so that the original prices were a close match. I cannot do that, so I take the best alternative option which is Kelly Blue Book and do a comparison. So unless you can provide some proof (not opinion, proof) that reality is different, I will stand by the KBB figures.

Put it up for sale yourself and tell people the price vs a Civic of the same parameters and watch them chuckle.

Now if we are talking about a Civic with the same options thats a different story. With the same options there is almost a $700 difference. But if I use a Civic with the same options then the original MSRP is much higher than the Elantra was by at least $2,000, if not more.

Plus the Elantra is a much bigger car.

• Options
    I wouldn't put the Accord interior quality above that of the Sonata either. Both are full of plastic and both seem to like to mix three colors together on the dash. Both the Accord EX and Sonata LX I own have leather and wood grain. Both have nice little push open doors for storage that give them that quality feel. The main difference other than the Sonata is easier to find everything on is that the Accord has high/low heated seats and you sit more into the seats of the Accord where the Sonata fells like you are higher up. I really like both cars, sorry to hear about your mishap.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Resale value and/or depreciation levels are more due to public perception of quality and reliability, public acceptance, and popularity than actual quality levels. There's no doubt that Hyundai's currently have lower resale values. This will change, however, as its perception in the marketplace changes. The current crop of quality Hyundai products will drive this perception change.

Re. my first sentence . . . I know this personally, as I've driven SAABs for a long time. SAAB depreciates faster than practically any other automobile, but are they inferior, poor quality . . . no. Rather, they are essentially an unknown entity to the masses, and are perceived as eccentric and quirky automobiles.

Long term reliability . . . my two current SAAB's - a '85 900 and a '87 900S, both of which have over 150K miles, have had no engine repairs or replacements since new. The only mechanical repairs have been normal wear and tear items such as brakes, exhaust systems, etc. And, more importantly, both aesthetically look like new vehicles. Neither of them have ANY rust, yet I live in the rust belt. Yet, they depreciated like a rock from the date they were purchased.

The masses "perceive" the Civic, Accord, Corolla, and Camry as great vehicles. They've earned that reputation over time, but Honda's and Toyota's were not always that way I can assure you. I owned a 1968 Toyota Corona, and it was not overly reliable, and prone to serious rust problems. Hyundai is paralleling (mirroring, if you will) Honda and Toyota, and in time will receive the respect it deserves by the marketplace.
  • Options
    Actually almost every car I have ever owned I sold to the junk yard when I got rid of it. You see I drive cars until the wheels fall off and then I put them on and drive some more. I usually put on 150-200k miles on a car. My post was to show that Hyundais really don't lose the value everyone says they do.

As for leasing, for most people thats not the way to go. Plus for me it really out of the question as I put a lot of miles on a car (one car I put over 60K in one year).

• Options
    I wasn't really attacking your comments, but replied off your post instead of the one you replied to. I actually agree with you about the Hyundai value, but get tired of people stating resale as a main contributor to purchasing a car. I would put personal preferences, performance, safety and reliability higher than resale. It really is hard to drive a car you don't like. I rent a lot and there are times that I dread the vehicle I pick up.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Your cars are junkyard ready at 150k? You must be hard on them, no? I have 156k on a Honda Accord with only a couple minor niggles (broken power lock actuator, in need of new shocks).
  • Options
    From Snakeweisels earlier comments I would imagine his car is going through a lot of salt, snow pot-holes and diversed temperatures that beat a car into submission especially when you put a lot of mile in during bad weather. Probably drives on the world's largest salt lick I-35
  • Options
    Yes a agree, if resale is the reason you are buying a car get the least expensive one and invest the difference. You will end up a head.

• Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    You know I hear that from a lot of people on the various forums out there on the web that their honda has all these miles. A neighbor of mine bought his 18 year old son a honda with about 130,000 miles on it a few years back. It went about 5000 miles and the tranny needed replaced. They junked it. Honda's are supposedly very reliable, but I won't buy one because they are generally boring vehicles and the dealerships won't haggle. My wife and I looked at a Pilot 2 years ago, but couldn't get by the fact it was like driving a boring Mini Van. We ended up buying a loaded Mountaineer and have not regretted it. IT was a much more appealing vehicle to us. I didn't check out the reliability ratings because I will probably own it about 6 years and sell it. I definitely don't think about trade in when I'm buying. I think that equals out when I go to Mercury and they work with me on price or Honda and pay full price. The Mercury won't be worth as much when I sell it, but the difference I saved up front will equal things out. I'll also have a smile on my face during the 6 years I drive it because to me it was a better looking Vehicle inside and out.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Resale Value? Even Honda says the difference is 7%,
    on their website. Being a mathematician, it didn't
    take me long to figure out that that was about 1300 dollars, but I saved 6,000 by buying the Sonata GLS V6, vs. the Accord LX V6. And the Sonata has more room, more standard features. Check out Honda's website to see for yourself. You'll note that they don't mention ESC. Wonder why?

Dependability? I'll take the 5 yr. warranty over Honda's
    warranty. On the Accord I previously owned the extra
    2 years would have cost 800 dollars, almost wiping
    out the residual value difference.

Quality? The fit and finish of my Sonata is just as
    good, if not better than the Accord I previously
    owned. I was pleasantly surprised, because of the
    new factory. No gaps, no loose parts, no paint
    problems, no weatherstrip problems.I actually had
    to have the windshield resealed on the Accord, because
    of wind noise and rain leaks, one week after I
    purchased it.

So, let's see. More room, more features, comparable
    performance and ride quality, better warranty, for
    6K less. It didn't take that long for me to decide
    between the two. I was a little leery about getting
    a Hyundai, but my sister has had an Elantra for
    two years, and loves it, and my sister-in-law had
    a Tiburon for 3 years, and had no problems, and
    only traded it because she wanted a bigger car.

Here's an interesting fact. The 2006 Sonata GLS V6 cost
    me 3000 less than my 2000 Accord LX V6. Without alloy
    wheels, ESC, side airbags, etc. And with more horsepower,
    and better tires. What else can you buy for less
    today than 6 years ago, except electronics, and
    Cisco stock. :)
  • Options
    Quality? The fit and finish of my Sonata is just as
    good, if not better than the Accord I previously
    owned.

So what you're implying is that the Sonata's interior quality is equal (or better) to the previous generation Accord?
  • Options
    Well I did say 150-200k, but beyond that I do put a car through more roughness than the average person (or at least I used to). Try driving your Accord across a farm field every other weekend and see how long it lasts. And somewhere there is video of me crossing a creek bed in a Dodge Omni. :)

And that doesn't mention all the harsh winters and Chicago's famous sinkholes (Oops sorry I mean pot holes).

Currently my daily drive is a Hyundai (and no I don't rough up cars as much as I used to) that is past 130K on it and last Monday was the first time I put any money into it that wasn't routine maintenice and that was less than $175.

• Options
    You'll note that they don't mention ESC.

Actually, they do. For '06 ESC is standard on all the Accord V6 models. Those who opt for the I4 have to do without, unfortunately.
  • Options
    My mistake. I didn't see it on their comparison.
    Maybe I missed it.
  • Options
    I thought all Honda generations were supposed to be
    wonderful. :)
  • Options
    I thought all Honda generations were supposed to be
    wonderful.

Well let's see, you compared a 2006 Sonata with a 2000 Accord. Seeing the difference yet?

Each generation is an improvement on the previous one. The new Accord's interior is much better than the previous generation.

Actually, if you say your Sonata is equal to the previous generation Accord's fit and finish. Then that makes the new Accord's fit and finish much better than the Sonata's ;) :P
  • Options
    That assumes the fit and finish of the current-gen Accord is better than that of the last generation.
  • Options
    gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    i think It will be great if you guys check out all-new kia Optima
    based on 2006 Sonata platform, If im not wrong with same engine as Sonatas, with better interior (for me it looks better than Sonata's, and we have 2006 sonata Gls v6), blue interior lights, also it's lighter than Sonata.

check it out.
    http://optima.kia.com/
  • Options
    No 3.3L V6 (if you care about that...).
    No $1000 Hyundai owners loyalty (I really care about that!)
    And Kia-sized depreciation vs. Hyundai-sized deprectiation.

It had better cost significantly less than the Sonata if they hope to sell many of them.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    to me, how much i enjoy a vehicle is more important than a lot of other considerations. my '02 explorer has had some problems, but it is still gives me a lot of satisfaction.
    i have looked and looked at other vehicles, but i can't find anything that is much better, overall. my first choice to replace it would be an '05 aviator. can't get much closer than that.
    at work, hyundai owners are passing on their recommendations to others. i'm keeping my eye on it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    AND, he said is paid $3,000 less than he did for the 2000 Honda. What's the price of the '06 Honda comparably equipped? Is it less than it was for MY 2000?
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I don't put Hyundai on the same level as Honda. Hyundai has closed the gap some, but the overall Sonata package is not as tight and refined as the Accord's. You may feel they're comparable, but there are millions of folks, unlike me, who would disagree with you that aren't posting on the internet.

I've had my Hyundai perception altered by my test drives of the Sonata, but not to where I feel its the better car. The main attraction of Hyundai now is price, not offering a better machine than Honda. I would buy one over the Fusion though. Talk about unrefined.
  • Options
    I looked at both before I bought the Sonata.
    I didn't see much difference in the quality of the
    two. I test drove both also. Very similar driving,
    even though the Accord had more hp. And I would
    take a slight decrease in the fit and finish for
    6K, but they were very comparable. Go check out
    both before making that statement.
This discussion has been closed.