Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    you may be right about the house lights but if they flickered every 17 seconds you would have an electrician at your house instantly. Would you watch a tv that flickered every 17 seconds?..suppose the tv manufactuer told you that was a "normal characteristic" would you accept that...probably not. And lets remember that the only car in the honda line that does this is the 2008 and now 2009 honda accord 4 cylinder.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well, if I sit in my driveway and do the same thing, my lights will flicker with every "kick-on" of the A/C, just like yours. Running the car at idle, yet putting a big load on the alternator with A/C and headlights doesn't make the alternator very happy.
    Your correct but this car will do it at 70 mph also...which is why its a dangerous car on the road...suppose a tractor trailer has just passed you and as he looks in the mirror to return to the lane ..the lights flicker...does he take that as the universal sign that its clear to come back into the lane?
    Does this now become a safety issue?...if someone is following you on a dark road at night and the tail lights flicker does the other driver think you are "brake checking" him?

And last but not least why doesn't the 6 cylinder accord do it?..its a built in design defect.
    Yes, mine do it (I can notice it if there are few vehicles around) on the highway as well. Comparing yours in the driveway to mine in the driveway makes me think our vehicles are similar. After all of these miles, I've never had anyone think I was flashing my lights at them.

The 6-cylinder Accord probably has a different alternator.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    While the video shows the problem that your dealing with I would tend to think that it can't show the full extent of the problem as most digital imaging, be it still or video, will adjust exposure as the light source changes. If previous four cyl cars I've owned did this it was never to the extent that it bothered me, if they did it at all. And your right my 6 cyl has no problem, at idle or cruising. Good luck with getting "We Can Do No Wrong" Honda to resolve this matter for you.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Would you watch a tv that flickered every 17 seconds?

It's not a TV. This doesn't look like a major problem. The lights on my truck are worse than that. They strobe with the engine. If someone is brake checking you, the lights would get brighter, not dimmer. If Honda were to take the car back, what would you buy? You could end up with a car that has more/major problems that are more serious than flickering lights.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    This happened on my 2006 Accord SE 4cyl!! Did the exact same thing. I am wondering what all the talk is about, it doesn't seem like it has changed from my 2006 at all. Did the same thing, making the same sound click. Did this all the time. But was never anything to make me think it was a bad thing. I am little frustrated that it has come to this level....lol.

My car did the same thing, it always did it. but I never even thought anything of it, until people starting discussing it here. This totally seems normal to me. Honestly, thought nothing until people here starting talking about, maybe it is worse on the 2008's. Not sure. but not sure of the video either. Honda Accord's have been doing this since way back, years. The clip video seemed like a normal Honda Accord. I could see why others might really make an issue of it, so why Honda has not actually just fixed it, tweaked it, after all this time, I am not sure. But, this is normal, or typical of an Accord 4cyl.

I am sure the actual engine guts have not changed that much when put in the 08. Just tweaked. I wouldn't think there is much more electronics to run than before to cause this supposed problem for the 08.

Again, it was on my 06, even when I drove it home for the first time, never noticed it. Be glad you have a Honda right now. But, I can understand you wanting it fixed.
    since the bar is so high for Honda. Normal to me though. The sound of a typical Honda engine.

I would still buy the Honda Accord today! I'll trade ya!
    If you check a couple other forums concerning this problem you will find that a forum user named KATANA PILOT has posted a copy of a certified check from honda for 28304 dollars for the repurchase of his 2008 honda with flickering headlights. My car will going to the same board in Georgia sometime in January and I fully expect to have the same results.

For all you people on these forums that tell us that we dont have a problem maybe this will change your mind. If you do have the problem and it annoys you ffile for arbitration and go after honda. If enough cars are bought back honda will eventually find a FIX for the headlight problem.
    This can be done and KP proved it....congratulations KP its been a long time coming. I absolutely salute your tenacity in this issue.
    We acknowledge that the issue is taking place on the 08 Accord. But, stating that this is nothing out of the norm for the 4cyl model. Perhaps, a bit worse on the 08.
    You would have thought Honda would fix the issue, considering it has been going on for years. It has to be a simple fix. Since, they take the perfection approach to their cars, you would think an employee driving the car would notice and get it on high priority.

I am glad the issue is slowly be acknowledged/fixed by Honda. If they want to keep their reputation up, they'll fix it. I can understand why you all are upset by the issue.
    But, remember, compared to other cars with much, much worse problems than this, this problem looks better if you were to get an issue.
    :)
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    If this is happening with every 08 and 09 4cyl Accords perhaps this is a design issue.
    Exactly right..its a design issue that honda calls a "normal characteristic"..but its only normal on the 4 cylinder accords no other car or truck in their line has it and there is no fix for it.
    lol, if you read the previous posts, you'll see its been happening for years, way back. But, for some reason, perhaps the 08 design makes it a little worse. There is a fix, Honda, has had plenty of chances to get the problem fixed. Finding exactly why there is a wide range of power fluctuation when the engine cycles. It cannot be that hard.

Best of luck.
  • jeremyaaronjeremyaaron Member Posts: 21
    Does anybody else have an issue with the wipers in snow and ice. About every 15 minutes I had to pull over and scrape the little edges to get out ice. All the wipers were doing was skipping right over the water on the windshield. Can you get aftermarket wipers for these 2008 Accord's? These contoured wipers really suck. Why would Honda not pay attention to detail when it came to the design of the windshield? The passenger side is fine, but having the raised edge on the driver's side catches all the water and ice, so it just drags it right across the window again.
    I've posted about this problem before, probably about a year ago considering the weather. Not sure different wipers would correct the problem. The drivers "A" pillar being raised from the windshield as much as it is, provides a large collection area for ice,snow etc.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2008 or 2009 Honda Accord who are parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 26, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• npolitenpolite Member Posts: 33
    I frequent the Honda message boards and have owned Honda's for the past 11 years. We own a gen 5, gen 6 and gen 8 Accords and sold an Integra. Yes I have noticed this problem in the past but it is far worse on the gen 8 Accord. It really never bothered me in the past but the dimming is about 200 times worse on this generation than the gen 6 Accord. I know that Honda changed the battery size on the gen 7 Accord but driving my cousin's gen 7 Accord this past weekend I didn't notice the problem. More power to the people getting their money back. Honda should have fixed this years ago and chose to do nothing about it. Now that it is worse maybe they will bleed a little to get something corrected.

I personally don't like anything Honda has in their lineup and sadly my next car won't be a Honda.
  • furiousonefuriousone Member Posts: 1
    In regards to "KATANA PILOT", are they located in Georgia? I read about somebody else going before a board in Georgia? I have the same issues, flickering headlights every time the fan cycles, and squeaky brakes. When we warm our 08 Accord up on a 20-degree morning the fan cycles on and off approximately every 20 seconds. I am an A.S.C. Certified Master Ford Tech of 20 years, and this is NOT normal, as Honda stated to me.

I asked them why a radiator fan would begin to cycle on and off within 20 seconds of the initial start on a 20-degree morning? Answer from Honda, it is normal. Pure crap! Normal operating temp is 210 - 220 degrees, so it takes a bit to reach that temp on a cold morning.

The flickering headlights, exterior lights, etc, are the direct result of the fan cycling on and off every 20 seconds or so. Now, why would the fan need to operate this way, especially in very cold weather? The fan runs to cool the motor. The radiator fan on the 08 Accord seems to run off and on constantly for no apparent reason.

Thus, the dealership continues to play dumb. An example of Honda’s concern for their customers, I had to bring them two TSB's, (Technical Service Bulletins), for a third gear problem on my 2007 Honda Civic SI that had only 3000 miles on it. The TSB FROM HONDA stated that third gear needed to be replaced. When I called the dealership, they told me there were no TSB’s postetd. I googled it and in 30 seconds I found the TSB, printed it and took it to Honda. The service writer says, "Wow, we've never seen that before". Again, pure crap. Well, they replace third gear at 3000 miles on the car.

So, here’s our dealership that we count on for honesty and integrity telling me that there isn’t a problem when there absolutely was. That is just an example as to how Honda is dealing with the 2008 Accord issues as well. They will deny it from sun up to sun down until enough people complain or a class action suit is set into motion. I would just like to know how "KATANA" got a check from Honda? This seems impossible. In 20 years of being in the field, I've never seen that done.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Honda and Toyota build very good vehicles BUT watch out if you have an issue. As you mentioned they refuse to 1) Acknowledge issues, 2) FIX it.

Often it is not the dealer, it is the entire company that behaves that way. The dealers are TOLD to stonewall the customer; be polite and do NOTHING. Fixing issues cost $$ specially when you make 380-400K of these cars a year. Japanese are not used to spend money of fixing issues. Which dealer wants to be the one that says " We know this is a problem, we get tons of complain just like yours and we don't have a fix for it yet or we are not willing to fix it?!!"

with cold engine and temp below 30 degrees, unless the defroster is on that turns the A/C compressor on, the fan should not come on. As you said this is not normal, it is an incorrect/misrouted sequence for operations. In older cars, the compressor would not even come on if the temp was like 30 degrees and that is the way it should be.

Joe
    my car is going to the Georgia arbitration board sometime in january..KATANA PILOT had his car bought back by honda because of the headlight problem. Honda has become the GM of the eighties in their customer care . On other honda forums KP has listed a email address to contact him and he will give you the whole powerpoint program to use in an arbitration meeting. If you want you can also look at my video on youtube of my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWfYIIG8tC0

This will be going to the board with me. If you have any questions you can leave a message under the video.
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Member Posts: 30
    Gen 5 have a self diagnostic function to retrieve DTC's from the climate control unit.
    Ign SW ON
    Drivers temp full cold
    Press and HOLD the OFF button
    Press the rear window defogger button 5X within 10 sec.
    Self test will begin.
    Test uses 88 (Driver side) and 88 (Pax side) as code identifiers.
    If you see no pieces of the 88 either side, test is good.
    If you see bits and pieces of 88 either side - check the service manual for problem identification.
  • musicislifemusicislife Member Posts: 16
    Just under the hood of my I4, right in front of the engine is a plastic air ram. Part of it diverts the air to the exhaust manifold. After that is goes down in back of the radiator fans and under the battery. I couldn't reach any further under there to find out where it goes. In the part where it goes vertically, behind the radiator fans, it has turned up arms coming out of it that remind me of a Saguaro cactus. What are they for? Where does it go?
  • markludmarklud Member Posts: 41
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I cannot locate the forum. Has anyone else noticed how high the Rpms are at highway speed? At 60 mph my engine speed is well over 2000 RPM. Is this normal? I also have an 03 Honda pilot, and 60 mph is about 1600 RPM. Am I missing something, doing something wrong, or is this the way Honda geared the Accord? Right now I get about 22 MPG average, which I think is kind of low. My old 1991 Acura Legend, which I loved so much, got 25 mpg average! If I'm in the wrong category, please direct me, I'd like to get an answer. Thanks for everyone that contributes serious facts or opinions to this website, it is invaluable to any consumer!
    Sounds like nothing is particularly wrong, but just how much is "well over" 2000 RPM?

Honda has geared the engine shorter (which means higher RPMs per MPH) so that it can more easily jump into VCM mode, using less fuel. If the gearing was taller, the engine wouldn't be able to stay in VCM mode as much, because it wouldn't have enough power at low RPMs to run in 3 or 4-cyl mode. Your Pilot doesn't have VCM, so it is always running 6 cylinders, so the lower RPMs make more sense in that application.

I know Honda uses this logic, because the Odyssey vans that have VCM run about 200-300 RPM higher at 60 MPH than those without VCM.

Regarding your old Legend...it was a smaller, slightly lighter vehicle about 60 fewer horses. It also is rated at 17/21 under today's standards (where your V6 Accord is rated 19/29) so I'm slightly skeptical that your driving style is the same. Not sure where the differences are. 22 MPG is the EPA estimated combined average for your vehicle, so you aren't far off from where you should be in your new car.

Best,

TheGraduate
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I noticed this too when compared to my previous 06 V6, which ran at about 1800 rpm at 60 mph. I figured to keep it in 3-cyl mode more often, which doesn't have nearly as much torque as full 6 cyl mode, Honda needed to keep the rpm's higher. I find I can run in 3-cyl mode up to about 67 mph. Any higher than that, it runs with 4 cyl. Driving around town 50/50 city/hwy, I can regularly go over 400 miles before fill-up. So far I'm averaging 24 mpg, less than 1 mpg difference from my 06 V6.
    Will the new 2009 Acura TL wheels fit the new 2008 Honda Accord EXL V6 sedan? They are 17x8 I believe.
    A quick look @ tirerack.com shows various mfg's rims @ 17 x 7.5 & 17 x 8 as qualified substitutes.
  • james154james154 Member Posts: 4
    how do you know when you are in 3-cyl mode or 4-cyl mode? i know that the eco light is on in this mode. my 09 accord coupe w/ the v6 auto "chug's" at 65mph like it is hunting for a gear with the eco light on.
    I just ordered a set of 2008 Acura TSX A Spec wheels with center caps, and Honda TPMS sensors. I have a 2008 EXL V6 Sedan. The current wheels on mine are 17x7.5 with a 55 offset. The A Spec wheels are the same 17x7.5 with the offset of 55. These will fit my car correct with no issues?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Yes, they should work fine. I assume you are switching the same tires from the Honda wheels to the Acura wheels, or are you changing tires also?
    Are you sure the backspacing is okay? Are they going to stick out the same or more? I am worried about brake caliper clearance. 2008 went to a different size wheel because of this. And can I use the Michelin's that came stock on the car? They are 225/50/17? Thanks for your help. I have posted on so many sights like Acurazine and nobody will help me.
    Just so people are aware the wheels fit absolutely perfect. Anyone interested in the amazing deal I got from Acura let me know. These wheels generally sell from Acura for 1,500 to 1,800.
    I have a 2008 Accord EXL V6 sedan. I want to change out the headlights, and fog lights to the new Sylvania Ultra bulbs. Do they make them for both the headlights and fog lights? And if so, what are the bulb numbers?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Hey I was gone for spring break and couldn't respond to your question about the wheels, but I am glad to hear they worked out! I bet they look sharp.

Cannot help you on the lights, though.

Good luck! I have an 08 6spd Accord coupe with aftermarket wheels/tires.
    Sylvania Ultra makes 9006 bulbs that are nice and bright. and Piaa makes nice fog lights in the H 11 size. Just for peoples knowledge
    Just so people know the new TL wheels will not fit a 2008 or above accord. They are now a 5x120 bolt pattern.
  • accordhunteraccordhunter Member Posts: 24
    Any result after the arbitration?
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    My wife did not like the seat comfort and low driving position. I got the seat back off and did some work that took care of the bulge in lower back part of the seat, but the seat never felt quite right. We bought a Lexus RX330.

Paid $22,500 new and sold it 15 months 9K miles later for $20,500. While Accord has the sharpest exterior ( heavily borrowed from BMW 3 and 5 series) and exceptional resale value, I would seriousley consider Mazda 6 or Nissan Altima before buying an Accord.

The seats are too narrow and Honda hasn't figured the seats right yet. I was not impressed with how the car bounced over slight highway bumpy roads with its 17" wheels and low profile tires......and that confusing transmission kept holding gears and downshifting on slight uphill driving on the only 570 highway trip we took.

Honda should benchmark Mercedes for seat contour and comfort. My 2001 E430 has the most comfortable seats of any car/truck/SUV I have ever owned.

Joe
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I watched the youtube video. Every Honda I have owned has done this. I don't understand what the problem is? My current Accord is a 04 and it does it but it has 84000 problem-free miles.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Does what? No reference to "what" is.
    Just fielding a guess here, I'd say the headlight flickering so many 2008 owners are reporting problems with.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I agree with thegrad but it sure shows why it is good to hit the "reply" button and quote a line or two instead of starting a new message. ;)
    So I went to Honda last week to get the new Acura wheels put on and the guy told me the rotors on my car need to be lathed because when he applied the brakes at 70 or 80 mph it pulsated badly. I said I was just here 2 weeks ago for a B1 service and you said all brakes were fine. They said oh but we don't road test it. So I go back today for the brake service just because it was free, and they replace all 4 rotors, and all brake pads in the front and rear. They stated sometimes when the car is new and sits on the lot they get rusty. I said I have 17,000 plus on it. Well he said they were all pitted and rusty so we replaced all of them. Has anyone else had this problem.
  • ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    I don't remember what the exact problem was with my brakes (2009 EXL v6 coupe) but I also had to have brakes replaced at 15K miles. They didn't charge me for it either.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Brake rotors have frequently been a weak spot for Hondas, as they warp rather easily.
    I have learned to not use any wheel cleaners on the wheels because it gets on the rotors and causes slick spots. Just use soap and water and elbow grease. Keep that in mind.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Yes, I was referring to the headlight issue.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm about to buy a new Accord to replace my 04.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I can't sleep at night knowing that my headlights may flicker slightly at 15 minute intervals. Can anyone help me?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I can't sleep at night knowing that my headlights may flicker slightly at 15 minute intervals. Can anyone help me?

Sure. Turn off the headlights before you go to bed. Then, no more worries. :D
    Read previous posts, as this has already been discussed heavily when the new 08 Accord arrived. This will help you out. My previous 06 Accord I had did the same thing. Accord has done this for years. I never thought much of it. :)
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I think Mitch was just being a bit sarcastic. ;)
This discussion has been closed.