Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Nissan Rogue

Comments

• greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    There's an auto show up here this weekend with the '08 models, and I want to look at the Rogue without a sales person looking over my shoulder.

Poster correction....

Most people that work Autoshows are sales people....... ;)
  • beafokbeafok Member Posts: 14
    I just got a full loaded gray SL last weekend.

MSRP: 27940
    Invoice: 25709

Things I like:
    - the style (way prettier than CR-V and RAV4).
    - Paddle Shift (the first car I ever have with this feature, man, that is something else)
    - Intelligent Key (very intelligent)
    - The handling

Things I don't like (could have done better):
    - the view thru the rear window (too narrow)
    - the cargo space
    - phone system (it can never get my number right, I have to do a bluetooth transfer from my phone)

Overall, I like this car a lot. It is being sold very well in my area, a dealer just insisted on MSRP, not interested in reducing the price at all; whereas the other dealer who offered me the lower price (and I bought the car from), I checked their inventories today, half of them are gone already (within 2 days).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats!

And thanks for reporting on your deal over on the Nissan Rogue Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion and .... some photos on your CarSpace page would be nice! (we don't ask for much, lol. :shades: ).
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I totally disagree with you on the styling of the Rogue. I think it's a very handsome-looking car!!!
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I'm curious though how the difference in power and pickup is for
    you between these two very different cars!! Both are handsome-looking cars, by the way :shades:
  • forestbroforestbro Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all Edmunds posters - it helped me alot in making my search so much easier.
    Just (Nov.3) purchased SL AWD White Premium with black leather Rogue for my wife:

AWD Premium Package
    Moonroof Package
    Leather Package
    Rear bumper protector
    Splash Guards
    Premium Floor Mats
    Roof Rail Crossbars
    MSRP: 27,940.00
    Invoice: 25,709.00
    Sent my exact options wish list via internet to couple dealers+ Carsdirect & Costco . Costco was the about MSRP, Carsdirect $800 over Invoice, but they didn't have options & color I want. The best instant offer was from Universal City Nissan internet (Los Angeles):
    $25,999.00 or $290 over invoice. My own max price I was going to pay was $26,000.
    So next day I went and got it. Fast, no hagling, no surprises,pleasant dealer.
    Total, incl. all tax and fees $28,444.21
    Wife loves her Rogue. So far milege is about 24.7 (70% city/30% freeway).
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I just saw one parked today and it looks pretty handsome. You definitely get a nice car for the money, but I'm surprised that navigation isn't an option at this point. With much less expensives cars offering it, why did Nissan neglect that option in the Rogue? Maybe next year!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes it needs nav especially so it can use the screen for a back up monitor since the rear visibility is so poor for parking.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Does the 2008 Nissan Rogue has something to do with the other versions a like?
    Is there here in US something like the X-trial. This car may compete with the Mistsubishi Outlander in goodies but it is 2.5L and petrol saving?
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    The X-Trail was never sold in the US, just in Canada.

The Rogue did replace the X-Trail in Canada.
    Nissan X-Trail (we want it!) may be of interest.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    i thought the rouge was the US version of the Qashqui?
    That's my understanding as well - the US version is a bit longer iirc.

I linked to the X-Trail discussion since someone was asking about it, but I don't think there's much relation to the Rogue, other than it also being a small SUV or crossover. The X-Trail reminds me a lot of the old Jeep Cherokee, while the Rogue is in the CR-V, CX-7 camp.
    The 2008 Nissan Rouge seems to be a good choice when the car is used 1/3 of the year as soft off road and 2/3 of the year as a normal city/motorway car. However some comments/reviews imply that the Rouge’s CVT is not suitable for a 4-cylinder car because the transmission can be erratic. Could somebody elaborate further in this problem? Equally, where and how could I download an electronic brochure PDF file? What is the Japanese web site to access in order to see the latest addition to the model?
    However some comments/reviews imply that the Rouge’s CVT is not suitable for a 4-cylinder car because the transmission can be erratic. Could somebody elaborate further in this problem

I don't own a rouge, but do have an 07 altima with a cvt, and I have no idea what those reviewers are trying to say. There are no gears in the cvt, so you never feel anything. Its the smoothest ride you'll ever have.
  • patg2patg2 Member Posts: 24
    hi,

Nissan Rogue S basic model FWD; mats; splash guards...$18,900...what do you think of this price? i also have a '06 altima 2.5 S that i may trade...what would be a good price for the trade? it has 21000 miles and it is the Limited edition with controls on the steering wheel...thanks for any replies... :blush:
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I agree! I have an 08 Altima and that 175HP engine w/CVT is unbelievably quiet/smooth...and powerful! I drove a Maxima for 6 yrs with 260+HP and don't feel I've given up much at all....
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    I agree also. The CVT transmission with the 2.5 engine is one of the best features of the Rogue. It is quiet, smooth as silk, and has plenty of power. I have had my FWD SL base model for about 3 weeks now and I think it's one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Mike
    This is something said by a full road test in the Rouge (Edmunds): Once you put your foot down to ask for more, however, the CVT has to do a lot of ratio swapping to get the power you require, and the result is sluggish throttle response followed by lots of engine noise.

If you haven't take your Rouge to the Track& Field path then perhaps you haven't noted.
    I might be just a little bias..... I just had a Lemon Law buy back of a 2007 Toyota RAV4 I bought in April. It has had 3 transmissions replaced in 6 months because of shifting problems with the cruise control. The Rogue was my replacement purchace.... Below is a link to the RAV4 thread if you are interested.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f142eee/243

Also here is my CarSpace page with my 2007 RAV4, 2008 Rogue, and my wife's 2006 Altima

http://www.carspace.com/mlmcgahee

Mike
  • ticmxmanticmxman Member Posts: 48
    Hey Mike, and welcome fellow Georgia Rogue Owner. Glad it worked out for you with the RAV4 buy back. I also come from an 2006 RAV4 4cyl that I traded for the Rogue. I have to tell ya I don't miss the RAV4, I didn't have the problems you had but it sure was sluggish at low speeds sometimes. The Rogue on the other hand is very responsive at all speeds. Added benifits of the Rogue are the handling, it's quieter, the Bose..XM, more leg room I'm 6'3, simple everyday things like better designed climate comtrols,cupholders that work, pop up trunk organizer. xlarge glove box.
    You might want to join us at the Rogue forum at: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=215
    I disagree that the CVT is an issue in the Rogue. I have nver been happier with a small suv and I have owned the following:
    2000 CRV
    2002 CRV...tranny issues
    2006 RAV4 4cyl
    2008 Rogue 2wd SL

Here is a good link for a Polished Mini Brochure
    http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=174106

and check out http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=215
    Thanks for the welcome ticmxman. What part of GA are you in? I'm in the Augusta GA area. Thanks for the Nico Club link.
    Anyway, the RAV4 was my first Toyota and it was a nightmare. The local Nissan dealership was great and I was able to get into a FWD Rogue SL at a good price. The seats are more comfortable than the RAV4 ( I am 6 ft tall) and the interior is very quiet. I work out of my vehicle and drive 300 - 400 miles per week so comfort and gas millage is very important. I am getting an advrage of 25 mpg so far. 70% city/30% hwy driving. The Nissan Rogue suits my needs nicely.

Mike
    mlmcgahee I'm in Cartersville. Enjoy your Rogue, the gas milage is great in the Rogue I get 25 to 29 mpg with mixed driving all the time.
  • flas2kflas2k Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the Government and Insurance Inst. crash test data for the Rogue will be available?

Thanks!
  • patg2patg2 Member Posts: 24
    was just wondering if there is any type of trim kit out there to "dress up" the exterior of the Rogue? i love lots of chrome...any ideas...thanks...pat :shades:
    This is something said by a full road test in the Rouge (Edmunds): Once you put your foot down to ask for more, however, the CVT has to do a lot of ratio swapping to get the power you require, and the result is sluggish throttle response followed by lots of engine noise.

I don't think they know what they're taking about. when you slam the gas, the engine will instantly rev up to about 5500 rpm's. there's no ratio swaping.

I can't help but wonder about edmunds. after they threw the altima coupe under the bus, and now a rouge full road test that sounds like they didn't use a rogue for the test. I'm starting to get the impression they just don't like nissan.
    I coudn't agree more. Maybe the CVT is just too different for edmunds to appreciate or give an open minded review. ;) Check out the reviews at Cars.com, Car and Driver and Mototrend for a more balenced review, The Rogue is not the HP king and not designed or intended to out perform some of the V-6s but it is far from under powered and gets excellent fuel economy. I get 24.5 to 28 mpg all the time. A few quotes from other reviews:

MTrend:"Those quick "shifts" come in handy when maximizing the 170 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque from the QR25DE I-4. With dual cams and continuously variable valve timing, the 2.5 is a refined, robust mill that spurred our 3350-pound front-drive SL from 0 to 60 in 8.2 seconds and through the quarter mile in 16.4 at 85.5 mph. For comparison, a four-wheel-drive CR-V, which weighs an extra 200 pounds, takes 9.9 ticks to 60 and 17.5 at 78.5 for the quarter."
    C&D: "When the conversation turns to fuel-economy measures, Nissan points to its Xtronic CVT (continuously variable transmission). We aren’t crazy about the CVT in this new vehicle, or in any other for that matter, nor have we been convinced yet of its claim to dramatically improve gas mileage, but the wide spread of gear ratios and the smooth power delivery do seem to be a better idea than the four- or five-speed conventional automatics of the competition. A downside of the CVT is the inevitable engine drone that occurs under most acceleration rates. In many CVT-equipped vehicles, the monotone engine note is obnoxious to the point of inferring mechanical cheapness. Fortunately, the Rogue keeps the noise to a murmur (a luxury-carlike 74 decibels at full throttle), which should stave off CVT buyer’s remorse"

Cars.com:"As in the CR-V, Nissan decided to offer just one engine and transmission combination for the Rogue. That engine is a 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder that outdoes both the CR-V and four-cylinder RAV4 in terms of horsepower, and you'll feel it when you stomp on the accelerator."

Links below.

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=reviews&makeid=36&modelid=4082&y- - ear=2008

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/14137/full-test-2008-nissan-rogue-sl-awd.h- - tml

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0711_2008_nissan_rogue/
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    First off I had a 07 Versa which I bought in July of 06, I loved it but wanted something more. Went to the Nissan Dealer and test drove a Rouge, I loved it but was very dissappointed in finding out that to get the Bluetooth, you have to get the SL AWD... My partner fell in love with the Rouge and bought one, its a SL FWD Venon Red wth Black and Red interior. It has the Premiun Package, and moonroof, Carpet kick and Kick Plates. The Dealer added Tinited window, Paint Protection, and door edge gaurd, total price was 26K, for the Rouge for $22,680. So I'm sure you are saying HOW in the hell did he get the car at Invoice.. Well I bought a 08 Altima Coupe too, which I got at Invoice.

But since I know the CVT well, I had 25K miles on my Versa, its something to get use to. I found that if you nail the throttle of the Rouge and slowly let up, until you start pulling away real well and leave it there, then you well lower the revs alittle and the Computer can adjust the CVT to the throttle position. I never had aproblem with my Versa around town at all.

Tony
    I am lost with all this terminology used by car manufacturers. Could someone give some clarification on this, please.

CVT, I thought is a technology where theoretically there is an infinite number of gear changes.
    CVT stands for Continuously Variable Transmission. There are no gears and no shift shock. You touch the gas pedal and it just keeps going....

Here is a nice little video showing the advantages of the CVT over the standard automatic transmission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpKwfFPhJ8

Mike
    From a review on the Nisan Qashqai:
    It’s more comfortable too: a long uphill drive in a conventional automatic will invariably be accompanied by regular down shifts as the engine hunts for power. With CVT, the engine revs stay constant as the transmission itself adjusts seamlessly to ensure momentum is maintained. CVT also ensures less power loss which results in better efficiency and performance.

The advantages do not end there. CVT is a computer controlled ‘stepless’ transmission providing a virtually limitless number of ratios, ensuring the engine is always working as efficiently as possible, resulting in smoother acceleration. However, if you wish to manually change gear then a computer generated six speed sequential manual override is provided through the gear lever to give a more sporty drive.

Full review: http://digiads.com.au/car-news/latest-NISSAN-news/2007_Nissan_Qashqai_CVT_200702- .html
  • julsuvjulsuv Member Posts: 1
    I have driven all the mid-size SUV's (CRV, CX7, Escape, Edge) in the past month. This one is the one that I liked the best. Does anyone have any regrets purchasing this? The dealership that I have been to and like the best here in Vegas finally has in the color I want so I want to go ahead and purchase it this week. This is an important question for me because I have driven Jeeps (Grand Cherokee & Liberty) for 12 yrs and loved them until now....I bought a 2007 Liberty Limited in July and it's a total :lemon: (Also ranked on Forbes Magazine and the #3 Top Turkey model of the year). I won't go into the whole story but I will be losing money trading it in. The dealership is giving me a good price but I'm still upside down. I just thought I'd ask people that had Rogues if there were any second thoughts after buying. It appears that everyone that has one likes it. I truly enjoyed driving the 2 that I drove at 2 different dealerships. It seems to have plenty of pickup and I LOVE the Bose stereo. I love the tight feeling of the handling of the car. How is the road noise? That is what was so bad about the CRV...I could hear everything! Thanks!
    I think people have alittle buyer remorse but that goes away after the first couple of days, we really like our Rogue, it drives well, its comfortable and you have not a nice view of the road. I think between the CR-V, Rav-4, Sportage, etc you really can't go wrong with any of them, Honda and Toyota have been perfecting the small SUV for the last 10 yrs, but we like Nissan Products and bought the Rogue. We love it.
    I don't think you will disappointed. You stated most of the things I luv about my Rogue. I would add that yes their is very little wind noise, some would say its a little noisy in the cargo area, but imo it is still quieter that the CRV or RAV4 my test of hearing a conversation at a normal volume level is easily passed in the Rogue. I traded an 06 RAV4 4cyl and I have no regrets at all. The CVT is different but I like how smooth it is and it accelertates well. The interior of the Rogue is much better than the RAV4. Throw in the simple things like the lg glove box, deep console, pop up cargo holder,etc and you will enjoy the Rogue everyday. My mpg has been solid at 24 mixed driving and 27-28 highway only. More info at the link below.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=215
    I agree 100% with ticmxman's post. See my post # 374 and 377. I work out of my Rogue every day and it's great. Much better than my 2007 RAV4 that just went back. The only thing I see that it needs is more cubby holes. The RAV4 had plenty.

I am one happy Nissan Rogue owner!
    ;)

Mike
  • eagles1966eagles1966 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove the Rogue yesterday and I liked alot about it but was a little concerned about the visibility in the back window. It seemed like a smaller space than other comparable SUV's I test drove. I noticed while looking in the Rear View Mirror I was seeing 70% window and 30% vehicle instead of say 90% window on a Subaru Forester. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just something you can get used to?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    You know, when you look at the rear window itself, it's rather large, and encompasses most of the rear hatch width-wise. I think the problem is that the mirror is a bit too wide, making the window appear smaller.
    If your mirrors are adjusted properly there is no visibility issue with the Rogue at least none that I have a problem with.
  • sunbu95sunbu95 Member Posts: 17
    It's true. I'm just out of my Murano AWD of four years and into my new Rogue AWD. I have a driveway with a hill and a curve. Coming home to a few inches of snow, I have a place going uphill where I hit the throttle and swing around for the curve. The Rogue is slow to respond, so I guess I need to accellerate sooner. Haven't hit the house yet. :) I love the Rogue, which seems to drive as big as the Murano, but with less power, of course. I got 21 mpg on the Murano and 26 so far on the Rogue.
  • grrrldrivergrrrldriver Member Posts: 8
    I had a 2005 Murano SE AWD loaded, leather, everything (can you tell I miss her? We were t-boned by a Tahoe last week; if "t-bone" isn't the correct term, I'll kill my coworkers next time I see them).

My question is this: With all the other safety features of the Rogue (stability control, traction control, &tc., my grrrl brain reels), can I save some money and tool around adequately with the FWD?

This isn't Colorado or Minnesota. This is non-hilly, non-Northern, East Texas. Primary concerns are an occasional rain shower, high winds, and thunderstorms. Also, my status as "Worst Driver in East Texas." (However, as was pointed out to me today by a Toyota salesman who did not have a RAV4 AWD on his lot: If I hit a wall going 80 mph, neither AWD nor FWD will save me.)

My husband is 60 and thinks AWD and classical music will help my driving. Does anybody else have an alt.opinion I can use against his line of reasoning (on the AWD)? I will appreciate any feedback on this matter. Please disregard my flip, newbie, freakish, 'tude. The wreck asseverated the Tourette's, which is nondetect in this format. I think. Or maybe it was dealing with all those car salesmen today. Thanks for any advice.
    it all comes to personel preference, we have a FWD Rogue and love it, but living herei n PHX we really dont need AWD...
  • worldbikrworldbikr Member Posts: 2
    FWD is for you.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    I have had RWD, FWD and now AWD, but I get a few snow storms a year. If no snow I would go for FWD, unless I wanted to hot rod it, in which case I would go with RWD and lots of hp.
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    The Rogue did well.

http://www.safercar.gov/Cars/4780.html

The video of the Rogue side crash test is pretty scary compared to Rav4 and CRV.
    http://www.safercar.gov/
  • grrrldrivergrrrldriver Member Posts: 8
    Please tell me how to get to the side crash test video from http://www.safercar.gov/
    couldn't locate it...thanks... (visions of t-boned murano still dance in me head) :sick:
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    My Garmin C330 GPS fits perfectly between the two vent mounds in the center of the dash. I held it in place with two inch long pieces of Velcro. Looks good too!
This discussion has been closed.