Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    There have been multiple posts about the poor radio reception in the new accords. I have the EX-L with the "upgraded" radio and my reception sucks! The fact that it was better at the dealership in another car likely was due to the fact that you were in a different location. Further, radio reception is weather dependent and dependent upon a lot of other external factors. Its not abnormal to get different signal strengths at different times of the day and/or under different weather conditions....particularly if you are trying to pick up distant stations.
  • Options
    sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    XM is the only "station" that really sounds good on mine. The regular radio FM/AM stations sound like the music/announcers are in a phone booth. It does not have that "full" sound like it should.
  • Options
    Funny that you say that - I had the opposite experience. Strong radio stations sounded much better than my XM. My XM seemed to be unusually quite ( I had to the turn the volume way up to compensate) and seemed to really lack base response and a good, open, clear sound. (I let my XM subscription lapse after the trial period -- it didn't sound good and, out of the gazillion channels from which I could choose, I couldn't find anything I liked . . . :confuse: )
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I have had good sound quality on all bands, including XM. However, reception has not been as expected. At the beginning, I had XM reception difficulties but it fixed itself somehow. I am still having FM reception weak signals at times, as you've mentioned depending on the location, but still I know the reception is not as good as my other cars' within the same locations.
  • Options
    jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    XM reception has been great. FM reception has been ok but range has not been great (no better, no worse than other brands where the antenna is built into the rear window). I don't listen to AM, so can't say how that is. This is the upgraded system that comes with the EXL-V6; the system overall seems fine to me.
  • Options
    jinsmurfjinsmurf Member Posts: 5
    I got the vibration problem fixed. The dealer replaced all 4 wheels/tires. It turns out that the OEM Michelins had a flat spot. No more noticeable vibration.

Also, I noticed the tire pressure was a bit low. I inflated to 33 psi, and I'm getting much better fuel economy. I'm very happy with my car.
  • Options
    gimme789gimme789 Member Posts: 6
    I found the rattle in my Accord.

MY BAD

My wife had put a pair of sunglasses in the holder ( above mirror )

They were rattling !!!!

Funny thing is, the rattle sound sounded like it was coming from the passenger door.

I really do love the car again !!!!
  • Options
    monkeygwdmonkeygwd Member Posts: 19
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? Which engine do you have? My EX-L 4 Cyl Auto is not doing very well in the mileage dept.
  • Options
    Gas mileage - around town not sure. I measured a highway trip and got 31 though. Which I think is pretty darn good.
  • Options
    classact1classact1 Member Posts: 6
    I have had the EX 4 cylinder since October, and only have 1600 miles so far, but I have not been happy with the gas mileage either. Granted, most of my driving is short trips (3 miles), but I'm getting between 17-18 mpg. Prior to this I had a 2000 Accord EX and was getting about 23 mpg. I realize the 2008 is bigger and heavier, but this just seems like a big step backwards in fuel economy.

The guy at the gas station told me to give it 5000 miles to get a truer picture of the gas mileage. I'm bringing the car back to the dealer in a couple of weeks for them to check out the squeaking brakes and popping speaker noises, so I'm going to bring the mileage issue up to them as well to see what they say.
  • Options
    macsanmacsan Member Posts: 27
    I'm just curious to know how many of you that have the 08 4cyl Accord EX have the ac fan motor cycling on and off every seven seconds-7 on and 7 off. It used to cycle every 17-20 seconds until I was in the car fiiddling with the stereo with the engine off and the AC running . I could hear the ac condenser fan running so I turned the ac and fan off. After that day it cycles in my driveway idling every seven seconds.I tried to "fool" it one more time but no go.
    When I drive it around the neighborhood I can barely hear it, and even then I can't tell if it cycles that often. I just notice it when coming to a stop. I'm thinking of taking it in to the dealer to get it looked at .No other car with an AC that I've owned does that. What do you think? .... Macsan
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239

I hate this noise. If I wanted a car with rattle, I would have bought GM

LOL....Amen, brother!
  • Options
    I found the rattle.

MY BAD

My wife put a pair of sunglasses in the overhead holder (above mirror)

They were rattling !!!!

Funny thing is it sounded like it was coming from the doors.

I love my car again !!!!
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Oh crap! Now we both owe GM an apology - we're gonna have to drive Malibus and drive them for a month to atone...
  • Options
    "...Oh crap! Now we both owe GM an apology..."

Or is it the Accord that you owe the apology ;)
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Or is it the Accord that you owe the apology

Yes! You need to apologize to your Accord for comparing it to a GM. Do it quickly, so it doesn't get mad. ;)
  • Options
    kaitian03kaitian03 Member Posts: 9
    I got my new lx-p a week ago. I feel strong vibration when I start the engine. The vibration goes quickly in about 1 second, but I can see the shaking of the instrumental panel. The idle speed come down below 1000 after several seconds.

I used to own a 99 mazda 626 v6, I did not feel so much vibration. Just want to know if this is normal for accord or I just got a very coarse one.
  • Options
    LMAO :)
  • Options
    My 08 I4 starts very smoothly with no unusual vibration and it never dips below 1000rpm. The vibration at start-up doesn't sound good -- I'm no mechanic - but it sounds like you have some cylinders misfiring. I'd have it looked at by your dealer ---- if the car is new, it will covered by the warranty!
  • Options
    medic78medic78 Member Posts: 11
    I have the 2008 honda accord coupe. Behind the front license plate, there is a weird instrument looking thing sticking out. I'm guessing its the thermometer? ANyone know what it could be? Just curious.
  • Options
    Hmmm - it happened once -- then again -- and now again. On three occasions (months apart) I have been driving when, suddenly, I hear the beeping tone that indicates my seat belt is not fastened. I look at the dash and realize that my car (08 Accord I4 EX-L) thinks that my non-existent passenger's seatbelt is not fastened. Apparently, the car believes that someone is in the seat. After 1 or 2 minutes, I also get an airbag light that comes on. If I stop and turn off the ignition and start it again, it all goes away . . . .

Anyone have a fix? ;) I'm kidding --- I'm obviously going to take it to the dealer. But, I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.
  • Options
    medic78medic78 Member Posts: 11
    got the 2008 honda coupe. THe rear license plate area only has 2 holes. Is it possible to make 2 more holes in the bottom of the plate to prevent future rattling? Will the dealership do this, and possibly for free?
  • Options
    Is it possible to make 2 more holes in the bottom of the plate to prevent future rattling?

I wouldn't try drilling holes. No telling what you might hit back there. Do what I did, apply some self stick felt to the bottom back-side of the plate. No more rattling.
  • Options
    packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    One other way I learned long ago for both the front and rear plates is not to remove the dealer placards from the holders and put the plates over them and then tighten the screws. It stops the rattle between between the frames.
  • Options
    bluewonderbluewonder Member Posts: 19
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if honda has paint issues ...I am planning on purchasing either a Basque Red or the Black nighthawk pearl accord....but I have been noticing dark colored hondas around the 97 and up models with white spots in the paint or large white or gray spots..I noticed this a lot on dark green, and black cars...but i have also noticed it on some gold colors...I read about some issues with paint on the 2000 and 2003 models......any thoughts on this?...I hope that I am posting this in the right section.....could these paint issues be due to not waxing...or not taking proper car of the car or could this be shoddy paint?
  • Options
    gswcs02gswcs02 Member Posts: 2
    what a mess i bought i purchased a bran new 08 v6 honda accord coupe the day i brought it home as it sat running in my driveway as i showed my neighbor with 11 miles on the odometer the car leaked a puddle of oil about 8 inches wide. car has been at the dealer for 16 days now it is leaking oil from the cam shaft seal, the old pump housing, and maybe the upper oil pan. after getting the car back now with 42 miles on it check engine light came on and car would not go over 50mph. bad throttle postion sensor. now today i went to fill it up with gas and the gas cover will not release from button inside car on the floor at all so i cant even put gas in. after 27 days of owning the car i have had the car home for 4 days. what a mess of a car this is.
  • Options
    gswcs02gswcs02 Member Posts: 2
    forgot that american honda gave me a remote car starter for all my problems dealer in stalled that and that is not working properly u can start it from the remote but then you have to hit stop on that button wait 10 sec for the key fob to reactivate the unlock button or put key manually in the door to unlock and then restart the car. man nothing works right on this piece of junk
  • Options
    Were you a mass murderer in a past life? :surprise: You have bad karma. :(
  • Options
    sttkailuasttkailua Member Posts: 12
    bluewonder,

Just bought a 2008 v-6 sedan mystic green metallic for the wife in March. I live in Hawaii and our salesman also sold us our previous Honda (Odyssea) in 2000. He is very thorough in his research in all the Hondas, their features and competitor's vehicles.

He 'X' out the colors in the brochure that he would not recommend since, according to his research, Honda applies fewer coats of paint! He went on to say that here in the middle of the Pacific, the sun beats down on the finish practically year-round vs the States in the higher latitudes with Winter seasons.

Over the years of selling Hondas, he got feedback from his customers and noticed that certain colors faded and became chalky sooner than other colors. He did research and found out that Honda does not apply the same coats of paint for all the colors! I do not know the auto painting process, and could not understand why Honda would spend more time/money to apply more coats of paint to the same vehicle, depending on the color!
    Apparently, it is not a major issue with Honda since most of the cars they sell will not have a problem with fading/chalky paint. With a garage and normal care; washing, wax 1-2 times a year, most factory paint finishes should last 5-8 years, until they are sold or traded in.

The colors he recommended were Gold Beige Metallic, Mystic Green, Alabaster Silver, Polished Metal, White Diamond Pearl. Taffeta White, according to him, had the least coats and will fade/chalk the fastest. The other colors had more layers of paint, but the ones he indicated, had the most. He goes on to say, unless you want to polish you car every month, he would recommend we choose one of the colors he indicated. Wife liked the green!

Anyway, I cannot verify or refute what was told to me about Honda not applying the same number of coats for all the colors, I just wanted to pass this information on to you. Ultimately, pick the color you like, since it will be with you for the next few years, at least.

Good luck in your purchase, wife loves the car!
    Aloha :shades:
  • Options
    All I can say is LEMON LAW........Get rid of it and get another one
  • Options
    rnickeymousernickeymouse Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I'm having problems with the keyless entry. It worked perfectly for the first few months but now I sometimes have to press it 3 times to get it to activate. It seems to only do this after driving, if you stand there and click it it apppears to work, even from a good distance. The dealer didn't test it properly so I need to find the right way to demonstrate since it doesn't happen every time. It also happens when unlocking. It did happpen to the service writer once, he got a confused look, then it worked the second time he tried and his respones was I need to wait longer before activating it. Anyone one else have this issue?

Thanks
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Not sure how thorough your experience is, but I thought I'd make sure you knew that the car will lock itself back after a short period (30 sec?) if you haven't opened a door yet.
  • Options
    I'm familar with that feature, it' will re-lock the car if you hit the remote button and don't open the door. I guess it assume you pressed it by accident. My problem is it just will not react when I'm standing right next to the car.
  • Options
    One thing they fixed during my first service was a recall item that had them installing new software. Out of the three problem I brought the car in for they fixed one. The noise coming from the gear shift consol was fixed using a type of insulating compound. The passenger airbag light always seems to say "off" then go blank but they say it is functioning normally. The remote not working is worse than ever so I need to return and insist they drive the car around to test it.
    One last thing, my 15% oil life came on at near 6,500. I thought most were near 10,000 before this happens. I do drive 50 miles freeway every day where speeds are about 80mph. Maybe that shortens the life of the oil.
  • Options
    rnickeymouse: You may have two of the same problems I have had with my 08 Accord. Like you, they fixed my noisy gear-shifter problem. But, will you please explain the problem you are having with your passenger air bag light.

3 times now, I have been driving when, all of the sudden, I get the beeping tones that indicate a seatbelt is not plugged in. The car is sensing that there is a passenger (there is none) and that the passenger does not have their seatbelt on. A short time after the beeping starts, the passenger airbag light goes off, indicating some issue with the airbag. Is this similar to your problem? I have not yet taken mine to the dealer for this problem - but will shortly. I'm going to be one unhappy camper if that is a problem that they can't fix.. . . .

Will you share your experience in a little more detail . . thanks!
  • Options
    Interesting that your 15% oil life came on at 6500. I changed my oil at 6500 -- but the oil life monitor still said 50%. I do about 80-90% interstate driving (but only use the car a couple of times per month for long trips)

(I couldn't stand waiting more than 6500 miles -- I ALWAYS change my oil every 3000-4000 miles and, when my vehicles are new, I change the oil at 750 miles, 1500 miles and 3000 miles (although I'm usually doing this to much larger displacement, American-made SUVs) -- I was very proud that I was able to hold off until 6500 :) )
  • Options
    What Accord do you have? Do you know what the software update was for?
  • Options
    My only thought is my oil life is shorter because of the way I drive. I'm usually going 80 on my way to work &stuck in stop and go traffic on my way home.
    My last Honda was running excellent when I sold it at 210,000 miles. I always changed the oil after the indicator came on at 7,000 miles.
  • Options
    I have the LX-P and from what the service writer told me, the software update had to do with excelleration and the co2 sensor. I never saw the recall notice although they said they sent one.
  • Options
    The problem, at least I thought it was a problem was that the air bag light always says "Airbag off" then goes blank, even when I have a passenger. I just assumed that if I had a passenger it would say "airbag on" then go blank. Never had a beeping seat belt warning except for when my seat belt has not been on..
  • Options
    There's no "Airbag On" light; in normal conditions the airbag is on, therefore there is no need for a light, just as there is no light for "VSA On."
  • Options
    "There's no "Airbag On" light; in normal conditions the airbag is on, therefore there is no need for a light, just as there is no light for "VSA On."

But wouldn't you be confused if when you started the car it said "VSA OFF" when it was actually on. This is what happens every time I start my car, passenger or not. It always says OFF first then goes clear. I guess when you start the car this test to see if the light is working and is similar to the light responding to no passenger.
    No one else was confused by this?
  • Options
    bluewonderbluewonder Member Posts: 19
    sttkailua,
    thanks for the response....i see they didn't mention the black (nighthawk pearl)
  • Options
    I guess when you start the car this test to see if the light is working...No one else was confused by this?

Exactly. And actually, the VSA light should illuminate when you crank your car, with the rest of the dash lights. And sorry, I really wasn't too confused by it - it seems normal.
  • Options
    accordinbocaaccordinboca Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering what you found from this. I have the exact same problem. Not only can I hear the noise at idle, it produces a faint vibration and the rpms dip slightly. The cycling noise (about every 20 seconds) and vibration are bothersome now that I noticed them. Just curious if you ever got this resolved.
  • Options
    rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Folks perhaps if you check your dipsticks you can comment to the group on your oil consumption if any. I have 3300 miles since new and consumed 1 1/4 quarts!
    I find this very unusual and unacceptable for a low emission engine. Comments please so I can pursue with the dealer and Honda.
    Thanks
    Roger
  • Options
    Roger, From your mileage I assume you are running on your factory filled oil in the engine. I have about 5600 miles on my car and it shows the engine life at 40% with mostly highway miles. The oil level in my car is down less than a quart. However, I don't believe that is a cause for concern at this stage, as you may know the first oil that the manufacturer puts in is a specialized oil used for the break-in period (and then some). I would wait and check when you have changed the oil at least once to see if there is any oil loss, in normal cases there wouldn't be any.
  • Options
    Just checked mine the other day and so far so good (4300 miles). Not down a drop. (fingers crossed it stays that away!)
  • Options
    gnomegnome Member Posts: 7
    My 2008 EX-L V6 has no significant oil consumption at 4300 miles (50% oil life indicated). No VCM problems either. No other troubles. This is a very enjoyable car, even more fun than my 2007 & 2002 Accord V6 coupes. Gnome
  • Options
    rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Yes havent had first oil change yet. Added a 1/2 quart so far plan to let it go until I get to the dealer on Wednesday. 1 1/2 quarts in the first 3300 miles I hope I am alone with this issue. Nevertheless I will keep you all posted.
    Thanks for all your replys.
    Roger