Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.

Trouble Starting my 96 TownCar

I have a 1996 Exec TownCar that had trouble starting this afternoon. All the panel lights turned on and the starter turned as well. I think I head the fuel pump running as well. I tried it three times then stopped. I waited about 1hr and went back out and the car started without a hitch.

This confuses me a little because I can almost deduce that the problem is not the battery, the starter, or the fuel pump . . . so I'm a little at a loss. Does anyone know of something car-specific that can lead to this problem?

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    Sometimes, when the engine has been run hard & put up wet, a circut breaker in a Black box under the hood will be stuck in a position that prevents starting until it is cooled off.

When this last happened to me, I put a Zip Lock bag of ice on it and the engine started within 5 minutes.
  • I had the same problem. It drove me crazy for about a year and a half. I finally listened to techs at Lincoln and replaced the crank position sensor. It solved my problem and rather cheaply. I hope this helps.
  • Is the circuit breaker the same thing as the relay box? I have a 95 tc and it does this every time lately and it's been pretty hot and everyone one doesn't know what it is. I replace the relay switch's, fuel pump tested, and a bunch of other things. I was thinking it could be the coolant sensor, but i'm going to try this :)