Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Integra

wgintzwgintz Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Acura
Does anyone own an Integra?

I'm driving a 96' Integra GS-R and could not be happier. Does anyone have any other opinions about their Integra?

Comments

• mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Thanks for sharing with us your enthusiastic vote of confidence for the Integra! Tell us, what do you like most about your car?
  • GuyPGuyP Member Posts: 50
    Wgintz,

If I'm not mistaken, your car is a coupe (or sedan if you have the four-door). You may get more responses in the "Coupe" or "Sedan" conferences, but you're very welcome in the "Hatchbacks" too.

Yeah, what is it that you like best about your car?
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Hey wgintz,

Tell me more. I'm wanting to replace my 91 CRX. God knows why, because I LOVE it. It's the perfect car for my commute from Washington DC to Rockville (reverse commuting over parkway, beltway and freeway. Pedal to the metal!) I would not have believed that any car could be this much fun and get 40 MPG at 80 MPH.

Anyway, the GS-R looks like a good replacement. I'm sold on Honda quality, (although I also like the German design of the VWs I've owned) and the Integra would be a nice step up (I just got a new job and promotion).

How is the handling?? Any floating? (I hate what they did to the Mark 3 Golfs!! They wag like an excited puppy. I hope they fix the Mk 4.)
    Have you gotten it to understeer yet? How is the steering "feel", my CRX has no power steering and great feedback. There's an exit off the beltway here that is a 270 degree curve and it has new concrete strips where they have repaired the joints every 1-200 feet or so. When I'm at the traction limit, I can feel in my steering wheel the difference in slip angle when I go over the patches because they have slightly less traction than the rest of the road surface. It's neat, just something you would have to feel.

Please tell me more about you GS-R and your experiences.

Bruce.
  • wgintzwgintz Member Posts: 22
    GuyP,

I just checked in the coupe section and sure enough there is a conference about the GS-R.
    While this car is a "sports coupe" it also has a hatchback. Whats the true definition of either class? Is it set by the manufacturer?

What I like best about this car is its engine. There is no rush like revving this vehicle to 8000 RPM's. It feels like a turbo when the VTEC kicks in... and it gets 30 mpg.
    Bruce,

The Integra GS-R probably is not the best handling sports car on the road, but I think it can still hold its own. I have not experienced much floating or wagging in this vehicle and I've taken some fast curves and experienced very little understeer.

I'd have to say the best qualities of this vehicle are in the engine and transmission. Like I said above there is nothing like revving this engine to 8000 RPM's. Also this is the best 5-speed I've ever had. Quick seemless shifts in all gears.

When I first test drove this car the sales rep went along so I did not get a chance to really see what it could do and was not really impressed. I went to another dealership and the sales person gave me the keys and told me he has chirped the tires in third gear. I had to try this feat for myself. Well it can be done and my wife will never drive with me again... (just kidding although she was mad).

Last, I just want to say I believe this car will be an excellent replacement for your CRX. You'll get slightly less gas mileage but greatly increased performance.

Check out the Integra Performance Page at www.integra.vtec.net for some great info about this vehicle.

Bill
    Bill (wgintz),

Well, I never chirped the tires in 3d gear in my CRX, mad wife notwithstanding ;-)

Thanks for the info. I think the new Mercury Cougar is also going to have a hard time convincing anyone it's a hatchback.

Let's think back a ways though! Wasn't the Jaguar E-Type a hatch?? My (derivative) Triumph GT-6 was, as well. Still, I don't think we're going to get many of those drivers in this section. They're probably out driving......

Bruce.
  • ecnivecniv Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone here driven a Hyundai Accent? I've been very happy with mine thus far, and I'm curious to know what other people's experience has been with them.
  • markadtmarkadt Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to purchase a '98 GS-R. I have a '90
    LS. Can anyone tell me what they paid for the GS-R?
    markadt:

I paid around $800 over invoice for a 96' GS-R with floor mats and mud flaps (plus a bottle of wine). Check out http://www.integra.vtec.net for some buying tips. It looks like $500 over invoice is a pretty good deal, so I paid a little extra. But the dealer I purchased from has an excellent service department with free loaner cars, etc.
    I seriously recommend checking out the service departments at the competing dealerships. This is my second new car and in my experience the actual purchase is just the beginning. The service you receive after you buy the car is what will really matter in the end.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Bill, that's great advice about checking on the service areas and comparing dealers. After sale service can be a dream or a nightmare. I've had both. Going with the dealer who has Saturday and evening hours, free loaners (& lots of them), and well-trained mechanics who fix problems the first time around might even be worth paying a bit extra for. Looking at the total investment gives a good perspective that helps make the decisionmaking just a little bit easier.
  • markadtmarkadt Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Bill...was wondering if anyone with a newer
    Integra can give me there review on cargo space. I
    currently have a'90 Integra and with the seats down I'm able to put my mountain bike in with tires on. I also can carry 2 long skis and equipment during the season with lots of extra space. Would this work just as well with the newer style Integra?
    Thanks.
  • edngedng Member Posts: 2
    Just curious on what people think...I'm also
    replacing my old CRX with something bigger and
    have narrowed it down to either an Acura Integra
    GSR or a VW VR6. Both are at about the same
    price range but are vastly different cars.
    Any advice?

Ed
    Ed:

I can tell you that the Integra has better resale, reliability, and ratings in most automotive and consumer magazines...
    But the most important factor is which car rides and performs the way you like?

Here is one tip though. When test driving the GSR open it up to redline through at least third gear (you pay the ticket if you go higher) to get a good idea of its power...

You can also setup a Topic, either here or in the Coupes section and get a discussion on which one is better.

Bill
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Referring to: "When test driving the GSR open it up to redline through at least third gear
    (you pay the ticket if you go higher)..." Redline in 3rd gear on my RS is 80 mph. On the GSR it is even faster. Are you telling us that YOU'RE gonna pay the ticket between 55 mph and 80? hehehehe....
    What's all this about speeding and tickets? Surely not among the hatchback crowd? ;-)
    guitarzan:

good point...

carlady:

Maybe you should be called carMOM. ;-)
    Hmmmm, moms aren't ladies? ;-)
  • millermemillerme Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 GS-R and I am hooked.

My only piece of advice would be to replace the stock Michelins when you buy an Integra. Take the car to the nearest tire shop and work an "exchange/credit" deal on a new set of Bridgestones for your "new" Michelins.

Mike
  • jcjjcj Member Posts: 1
    (Mike) I've heard a lot about the poor wet perfromance of the michelins. How much credit do you think you'd receive for each "new" michelin you trade in? Also, why do you pick bridgestones over Dunlop (sp4000 or 8000) or BFG comp TA?

James
  • warpdryvwarpdryv Member Posts: 4
    The new integra has slightly less cargo space due to c-pillar redesign
  • LoJackLoJack Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I noticed a LOT of Integra enthusiasts, and I couldn't agree more! My first car was an '87 LS (back in high school and college) other than great in overall satisfaction, I have to complain about the stock tires. They had the worst traction ever. Anyway, I just got my '98 Integra LS, vogue silver metallic, the works. I was eyeing the R-Type, but hey, I'm more afraid of the insurance (don't forget, I live in NJ!!) killing me in premiums. If I was ever to get the R-Type, there is no point getting speeding tickets just to enjoy its potential, so I compromised! Anymore LS owners out there?!
    LoJack:

Why did you pick the LS over the GS-R?
    It seems like the GS-R would be a good compromise between the type-R and the LS...
  • pjhalenpjhalen Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know anything about the 1999 Integras? I'm looking to buy, but don't know if I should wait for the '99 revision models or go with the '98's. Advice?
    PJHALEN,

I wish I knew more about the '99 Integras. I, too am looking at an Integra to replace my CRX. I don't want to kick myself in the near future after seeing the new model....

One of the things I have always liked about VW is the fact that they go on sale in Europe one year in advance of their entree into the US market. This give us in North America a nice look into the future.

Bruce. Edmunds Host.
    WGINTZ,

I'm also looking at the LS, although my heart is in the Type-R.

WHY:

Lower insurance!!!!!!

No sunroof: I really don't want one, but in the GS-R, it's not an option.

Add a Cam, Chip, Header,tires/wheels, maybe a turbo and you can ROCK the freeway with a much lower cost-of-ownership.

Make sense???

Bruce. Edmunds Host.
  • romanotsromanots Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to trade in/sell a 1986 Celica GT, 5 speed, 130,000 miles, no radio/tape, AC works, body in decent shape. Edmunds used car prices stopped at 1988. Celica GT listed there at trade in price of $2170. I'm wondering what the trade in price range would be for my 86?
  • rguzmanrguzman Member Posts: 2
    wgintz,
    I recently leased a 98 LS Integra coupe. I have had a power steering fluid leak for four of the eight weeks that I have "owned" it. I have attempted to have this fixed twice already. I have had to do the dealership after sale service shopping around routine. It has been my experience that warranty repairs are a hassle. The passenger side window also screeches when being rolled up/down. The passenger side door is hardly ever used. I did submit a letter to Acura Customer Service about the rude level of service that I received from the dealership that I leased the car from and I haven't had a response back. In all fairness, the letter was only received by Acura eight business days ago. I personally think that it is an over rated car. It is not uncommon for the brake pads (rear) to need to be replaced after ~25K miles. I guess part of my situation is the luck of the draw and the other part is that I didn't do enough research about the maintenance of the car. I have previously owned an '85 RX7 SE a '77 Celica GT, and a '95 Altima. I guess that I have been spoiled by just having to do oil changes every 3K miles and tune-ups every 15K/30K miles.
  • cluwcluw Member Posts: 1
    rguzman:

I'm thinking of leasing a '98 Integra LS also. But now that I heard you story, I'm having a second thought. Did you get the lease deal that was advertised by the manufacturer ($230 per month for 39 months, $500 down)? Please advice me on whether or not I should lease one.
  • rguzmanrguzman Member Posts: 2
    Cluw,

I don't know if you should lease a new Integra or not. I can however almost gaurantee that you will have to shop around for a decent dealership to do warranty repairs if they are needed. The necessary part for my car is on "National Back Order". Acura denies that the part is on back order as a result of so many cars needing to have the entire power steering unit replaced. In my instance I think that they are replacing the entire unit because they don't want me to bring the car back for the same repair three times. I did not get the $230 per month with $500 down lease. I have a 36 month lease and put down a little less than $1,000. I guess you should consider how much you like the car. Test drive it several times and inquire about regular maintenance and the costs of maintenance. Try to find other Acura owners who have their car serviced at nearby dealerships and find out if they are satisfied with the level of service that they have received. I think that this holds true with any vehicle that you are considering. I'm sorry that I didn't do this before I leased the Acura. I don't know how much replacing the rear brake pads cost, but I would also check into this before making a decision. As of this date, I have not had a response back from their customer service department. You may also want to read about what other Integra owners are saying about their cars here on the Edmund's site. People do seem to really like the car. Good luck and I hope that this is helpful. If you would like I'll sell you my Integra!
  • achiangachiang Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I just bought a used 1990 Integra LS 5speed about
    two hour ago. So far, I am loving it.

It has 90k miles. Is there some sort of mailing
    list/users group that I can join to see what
    problems will crop up for a car its age? Thanks!
  • pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    Achaing,

I own a 1990 Acura Integra LS 5-speed (116,000 miles), also. I'm the original owner, so I know everything that has been done to the car.

Make sure the timing belt has been changed. It should have been done by at least 80,000 miles.
    I've replaced the CV boots once. My CV joints need to be replaced next. The front axle makes a soft grinding sound when I turn without the clutch pushed in. My mechanic says when the noise gets worse, I'll have to replace them.

My mechanic thinks the clutch and starter may need to be replaced sometime soon, but they are both still working fine, so I haven't done it.

Every so often, the engine doesn't want to turn over. This happens maybe once every 2 or 3 months at the most. When it happens, I turn the car all the way off and they try again. It usually will start after only 2 or 3 tries that way. Could be the starter, but it eventually always starts, so I don't worry about it.

Overall, it has been an excellent car. It has never left me stranded in 9 years. Even when the battery dies, I can just push-start it with no problem.

By the way, what did you pay for your car?

Pam
    Also, be careful with the rear window tint (if it has it). Mine started to bubble up, so I had a tint place replace it. The defroster came off with the old tint and now it doesn't work. The tint place wouldn't do anything about it because they say it's a risk with older cars with original tint. I would have rather had the bubbles than no defroster!

Also, don't drive through a car wash with the antenna up!! I snapped mine in half and had to replace it.

Pam
  • davidaudavidau Member Posts: 1
    The '99 Integra will be the same as the '98. Honda is going to wait until 2000 to unveil the next Integra (IL designation), which will be at the same time the new Civic appears.
    Hi Pam2,

The timing belt was changed near 80000 miles.
    I checked the CV joints and they don't click
    when I turn (I had a old Colt that did that).
    The car is not tinted, and it is black inside
    and outside. Good thing that it is only 115F
    here. ;) Thanks for the tip on the ripping
    rear defroster.

I bought the car for $5500 from the original
    owner. Good deal?
    Achaing,

Black on black in 115 degree heat??? Sounds like maybe you live in Texas with me! I probably wouldn't have gotten the black for just that reason. Mine is green.

I don't think $5,500 is bad. I know I won't get that for mine, though, because of the higher mileage and the paint. I had $4,000 worth of hail damage in 1992. I had it repaired, but the repair marks are showing through and the paint is fading.

Good that you bought it from the original owner. Did you get maintenance records? I also had to replace the CV boots, so you may get ready for that if it hasn't been done.

Hope you enjoy your new Integra! I know mine has given me almost 9 years of pleasure!!

Pam
    rguzman:

I just read your entry about your LS. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I too have had terrible service from a dealership. Fortunately, I have also had great service from another Acura dealership. I agree that warranty work can be hassle with some dealerships and that Acura Customer Service is not great when you complain to them about it. I received some attention when I contacted the Better Business Bureau.
    As for the LS being overrated...
    I understand it's easy to get down on a car that is giving you problems, and it doesn't help if the dealership hassles you besides...
    But, I'd still say overall that the Integra is a great car. Look around for another dealership, get the car fixed, and enjoy the car.

Bill
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Rear Integra brakes do die really quickly. The pads don't cost much at all. The labor is a killer, so you could try it yourself. With the proper tools, an Integra brake job is quite easy. And I am a CHICKEN when it comes to repairing a car! Don't forget to use caliper lube any time you've worked on the brakes.

Pam I did the same thing, broke the antenna. I replaced the mast antenna with an electric one from Sears for $40 including all parts. I got a great upgrade, and avoided a $150 dealer charge. The only problem was I couldn't find a fuse that was only on when the car is on. So I wired a fuse to the power line, which is not the best choice. Of course, I had a base Integra. The fusebox of a model with electric amenities may have an extra key-activated power slot.
  • john15john15 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a '94 GS-R 2-door with 62K miles
    on it and paid $14,500 for it. The car is in superb condition exterior and interior. Its got new tyres and is very well maintained with records of all the service the car has had.
    I was hoping if somebody could tell me if I paid a
    fair price for it. Any response will be highly
    appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • natstahlnatstahl Member Posts: 1
    Hey Achiang and Pam,
    glad to hear of someone who bought a high-mile Integra. I'm about to buy a 92 w/ 93k miles for about $7000, although I think I could talk them down -- it's a dealer. It's worth the extra few hundred to me to get it reconditioned, and I'm doing it subject to mechanic approval. I drove it, CV joints are fine, I think it has better-than-stock steel belts on it, black/tan, 5 spd, LS w/ a lot of toys. I just want to know how long I can reasonably expect to own and happily drive this thing?

Have you thought about buying a used vehicle instead of letting your father spend nearly $20,000 on a car for you? That's an awful lot of car for an inexperienced driver. If you had to pay for it yourself, I'm sure you would think again. Plus what about the insurance on a car like that?

What's wrong with this picture: 17 year old inexperienced driver tooling around town in a $20,000 car that daddy bought. 38 year old responsible woman who supports herself driving around in a 9 year old car. I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a witch, but things like this really bug me. I guess it's one of my pet peeves. Even if I was able to make a car payment right now, I CERTAINLY couldn't spend more than $14,000 on a car. So, I'd be looking at a used one. And be happy to have it!!
    1438, it sounds like you've done your homework! Have you contacted any dealers in your area? Please, keep us posted on your progress.

carlady/host
    If you own a 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, Edmunds is looking for you! See the details in our Long Term Road Test area!

carlady/host
  • CaligulaCaligula Member Posts: 1
    to Pam, in response to your message to 1348:

I am 18 years old and most likely going to be buying an Integra GS-R. I have only 2 years of driving experience, true, but I have no tickets and no accidents on my record. As for insurance, its expensive, but I can afford it. And NO, my parents AREN'T paying for the car, I AM! I have enough money put away to make the down payment, I make enough to pay the monthly bills and insurance costs, and I still have enough to put away, because I have NO EXPENSES. My job pays my college tuition, and being that it is 50 miles away from where I live (though I will be buying a house next year closer, maybe), I need a reliable car that I wouldn't mind driving 2 to 3 hours a day in. The point is that I can afford it and am a safe driver, despite being only 18. I imagine this is true also of 1348.
    Hi natstahl,

Which model Integra are you getting? The price
    sounds good, considering that it has the 14xHP
    engine (the '90-'91 had 13xHP).

I bought mine from an individual. He retained
    the original manuals, sticker-price sheet, etc.
    The CV joint sounded it was ticking very lightly,
    though.

On cartalk.com, several people have Integras
    with over 150,000 miles!

The car is not very fast, but it is fun! Tell us
    what you pay for it and how you like it.

Albert
  • 14381438 Member Posts: 3
    ... my point exactly. I thank you for your support.
  • 14381438 Member Posts: 3
    also, even though i am not paying for the car myself, i believe i have been a filial enough of a son to deserve a car. i.e. i have a 4.0 grade point average in school (honors classes0 and am on track to be valedictorian of my school.
    Caligula,

As I said in my "hidden" message to 1438, it's really just a pet peeve of mine that young kids have expensive cars handed to them. If you have the means to buy your own car, then absolutely go for it. And enjoy it - you've earned the right.

I don't see how your situation is like Caligula's. It's just my opinion - for what it's worth - but I just disagree with parents buying expensive cars for their kids. Regardless of grades, etc. I think it builds character and responsibility for a person to buy a car themselves - whatever they can afford. If you personally can afford a $20K car - fine. But if not, then buy what you CAN afford. Maybe something around $7,000 and still get something decent.

Pam
    I saw a 1999 Integra in a cool new color!! It was a bright bluish purple. Looked great!!

Pam
    Does anyone have info on what the next generation of Integra will look like. I've seen only one or two things. Honda knows how to keep a secret. {;-)

The most persistent rumor is that the Integra name will go away, because Acura wants us all to think "ACURA XYZ" instead of just "Integra". I guess they REALLY like their family name!!

Actually, I don't care what they call it, as long as it stays the best handling FWD car on the road.

Bruce.
  • jdunphyjdunphy Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 integra gs-r not only is it good at
    hauling a** it is great for hauling fertilizer too. I recently put 8 bags of compost ( you know
    the big ugly white cubes) which was twice as many
    as my wife could put in her neon even with the passthrough. I could probably haul more stuff in my integra than one could in an explorer or blazer. But of course I cant really go off road but who does in an SUV ( Stupid non Utility Vehicles. I don't understand the fixation here in the US of driving a $35000 vehicle that is based on a $14000 pickup. Did anyone notice the insurance quote difference between the sedan and the 3-door GSR, it sucks . I don't like the way the sedan looks but if I had bought one I would have saved about 300 a year in insurance. That is really silly given that there is no performance diff.
This discussion has been closed.