Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Viewing the photos of the new Sonata reveals a lower deck lid than the current version. Probably down 3" across it's 12 sq.ft. area. That's where my estimate comes from. Although they might pick up a couple cubes from length/width increases, they'll likely lose several in vertical dimensions.

The current Sonata cargo volume is 16 cu.ft. Not likely the new, lower body style will better that number.
  • dnbbdnbb Posts: 4
    I do know the actual specs but from what I've seen the trunk looks to be about the same both opening size and volume. The power numbers you put are a little low, and I've heard they will have around 20-25 hp over the current model. There will be no v-6, both engines will be 4 cyl, one NA and one turbo charged. The cars should be hitting dealers in early 2010.
    :D
  • I have learned that Hyundai USA will in fact be launching the 2011 Sonata without a V6. So there will be just two 4cyl powerplants to choose from, a 2.0 and a 2.4. The U.S. spec’d 2.0 is rumored to arrive with 197 horses while the 2.4 is supposed to wring out approximately 240 horses. Good numbers no doubt for 4 cylinders but the question is at what cost?

Certainly improved MPG numbers are undoubtedly the major benefit but what about those zero to 60 times? The current 4 cylinder mill can gallop to sixty in a leisurely 9.8 seconds. I know we’re talking family sedans here but anything over 8 seconds on the upcoming base 2.0 4 cylinder will be borderline pathetic.

I’m also very curious about the interior material quality. For example, will the glove box be lined and dampened like the current model? I know this seems like a small detail but small details like this often get in the way of car brands that set the standard instead of being defined by it.

So far, I’ve only read one write up from a non-South Korean first drive impression which made mention of slight wind noise around 70 or 80 MPH, mind you this was a KDM version, or perhaps due to aerodynamics and because the car is so quiet. Still, the writer’s opinion was that the car did make a very positive impression overall and drove and felt miles better than the current outgoing model.

I think my two concerns regarding the 4 cylinder only engines are NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) compared to the current 2.4 175 horsepower engine. The current 2009 Sonata’s curb weight as equipped is 3,299 lbs, so it means that this new model can't tip the scales any higher otherwise it will risk the mileage penalty. Also the so called suspension “clunk” some owners have complained of will have better be properly sorted. According to some experts, the so-called clunk is nothing more than suspension noise that can be muted with sufficient dampening insulation. We'll see.

It would serve Hyundai well to churn out 3 more horses from their base 2.0 leader engine to an even 200 which they could use to position above all its segment competitors and then push the premium 2.4. To no ones surprise, Hyundai has remained deliberately tight lipped about the upcoming powertrain options.

According to Hyundai based on sales of the current model: 85 percent for the 4 cylinder versus 15 percent for the 6, so it makes more sense to only offer a 4. But Hyundai has never built a car like the upcoming 6th generation Sonata. I think its risky and outright timid not to offer even the option of the 6 unless they have planned an SE turbo to put down a quite doable 265 horses at the front wheels. If not, this will be a major weakness in an otherwise great looking car.

We will soon learn whether Japan’s top brands, Toyota and Honda, responds to Hyundai’s decision, and moves to match the 4 banger only offerings within this segment or will they offer more improved efficiencies in their sixes which would then undermine Hyundai’s drive to be the global king of Green?
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    If this is indeed true, then the Sonata is off of my list.
  • fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,381
    Agreed. I don't mind losing an MPG or two for the added HP, torque, and improved NVH of a V6.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,906
    Re wind noise, I remember when the 2006 Sonata debuted here with non-folding mirrors, Hyundai said they used them to minimize wind noise. At the time I thought that was a bogus excuse, and they had done it as a cost-saving measure. Now I'm not so sure. Also we might see non-folding mirrors on the 2011 Sonata in the USA, since there's no need for them on cars that are made here and not shipped overseas.

Re power... the 2.0L Passat makes 200 hp, so adding 3 more ponies to the Sonata's 2.0L would only bring it to parity.

It's possible the 2011 Sonata will debut with the two I4s and Hyundai will gauge the market acceptance. They could then drop in a V6 if the I4s don't fill demand. There's also the hybrid version in the wings. Keep in mind, Hyundai's stated goal is to meet the new USA fuel economy fleet average standards early. Dropping the V6 in their top-selling car might be a big part of that plan. And if Hyundai has to do it to meet the new standards, perhaps other automakers will have to follow suit.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    For years I have been reading figures that 4 cylinders are installed in something upwards of 80+% of all U.S. Accords, Camrys, and Altimas and Sonata too I guess if your figures are correct. All these companies produce very powerful, quiet and smooth V-6's but their 4's are quite acceptable in all regards so most consumers prefer them and that choice has not hurt the sales of any of these in the least.. A 200hp 4 cylinder is a lot (more than Accord, or Camry and I think Altima) not to mention a 240 hp option. That is more than the original 3.3 V-6 in the Sonata!! I don't feel either of these two motors will be a slug. Keep in mind the U.S. is one of the few countries where V-6's are even offered in this segment car. Frankly I'd like to have one of the modern, torque heavy, clean diesels Hyundai offers in Europe but I for one will be looking into either the 2.4 liter or hybrid Sonata. Maybe it is time to put away the "toys" i.e. extremely powerful V-6's in this class just as we have...mostly....laid to rest the V-8 which is something I never thought I'd see. I am 62 and remember the time if it had wheels it had to have a V-8.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,076
    The optional engine will be a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. It will be a 2.0L mill pumping out 250 HP and yes it will be FWD. It won't have the torque steer of other high HP FWD cars.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Anyone concerned about reliability associated with turbocharging or stretching out an I-4 to that many ponies? I'm entirely uneducated on the subject but have always worried about turbocharged cars and reliability. As an example, Subaru's are widely thought to be very reliable, with the exception of the WRX which always rates poorly.

Any thoughts?
  • I am not a Hyundai fan nor do I own a Hyundai, but the 2011 Hyundai Sonata picture is awesome. I would not mind owning a Sonata a few years down the road, once Hyundai starts to offer some good rebates. This car would give the Accord and Camry a run for their money.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,076
    The Sonata's new turbo i4 is a basically a FWD version of the Genesis coupe's 2.0L turbo 4. It's quite a strong engine. The Sonata's turbo i4 will have more boost than the Genesis coupe to make more HP. The turbo should be quite reliable. In Europe, more cars are going to smaller turbo engines that get better mileage.
  • Hello all, IMO the pictures of the 2011 is a big change from my 2009 Sonata, I will
    reserve judgment till after an up close view in person. But what I did read in a article
    would be very disappointing to me, not such a big deal is trunk opening size sounds
    like it will be smaller. If the 16.4 cu ft trunk space remains the same and the lid
    opening is smaller and rather large things won't fit all you can do is put smaller items. i.e. acquire smaller luggage and ice chests! Now this is what will stop me
    in my tracks from even looking into buying one. The V6 won't even be an option on
    the 2011 according to the article, I 4's only, I swore off 4 cylinders after owning 3.
    A toyota, a Mazda, and a Isuzu, three strikes your out, no matter how many turbos
    it may have. I have also owned 3 GM cars with 3.8L V6 w/ 200+ hp a Mazda 2.5L
    V6 166 hp, and also a oldsmobile w/ a 260 cu in V-8 and hiway mpg was at least
    equal to I 4's and in two cases the bigger engines got much better mpg. Those versions of 4 cylinders had trouble getting out of their own way compared to the
    much more power full V6's, I guess to each his own, I was spoiled w/ HP in the
    sixties and seventies w/ large cu in V 8's, very poor mg, even inline 6 cyl, got less
    than 20mpg but regular gas was about .35 cents a gallon. If everything goes as
    usual we keep cars seven or so years well after warranty is out. W/ our ext. warranty on the new Sonata 10 yr 100,00mile bumper to bumper who knows. Hopefully by then the US made Sonatas will have the V6's. If this info I looked thru
    is not accurate so much the better, It's hard to imagine that they would stop using
    the 3.3L V6 in the Sonatas. Only about 25 or 30% Sonatas sold in the US in 2008,
    2009 were V6's but that many is a lot of money for Hyundai. Would they risk that
    many sales to people that want the V6 ??
  • "Only about 25 or 30% Sonatas sold in the US in 2008,
    2009 were V6's but that many is a lot of money for Hyundai."

==========================

10-15% is more like it. With powerful, reliable I4 engines available there is very little demand for a V6 in this class.
  • You are correct about the I4 being a much bigger seller than the V6, the issue of
    powerful depends on what it is compared to another I4, a 2cyl, or the much more hp rated v6 let alone a 300hp+ V8.From the dealer off the shelf I don't think there is
    any question about which engine in the present Hyundai line has the least power.
    However with that said there is a percentage of the buyers that don't want a 4cyl,
    that includes me, just me is nothing. I think I read 80% for 2009 were I4's but lets
    use your 15%According to newly released sales information for 2009 (93,575) new
    Sonatas were sold here in the US, GLS, SE. & Limited's combined. That equates to 14,036 V6 units, (1200) being in September 2009. Not to many right? that many
    V6 units for the period Sept, 2008 thru Sept 2009 is about $282,720,000.00. Many
    if not all new Sonatas were built here in the Alabama plant, if they can stand to maybe loose that much of the V6 buisiness that is no skin off my back, when I,m
    in the market for a new car Sonata won,t be on the list. It,s just that simple. Thanks
    for your reply.
  • Sorry to interrupt again, I forgot something, back in July when we started looking at
    the Sonatas there were 4 cylinders around here coming out the ears but the V6,s
    were very hard to come by in the whole Gulf coast region of Louisiana we found
    only 3 available. I consider myself lucky because the dealer where we bought the
    SE V6 sold us his display model off the showroom floor and it was well dressed up
    with all kind of goodies added to the regular SE package. What I,m getting at is
    a while before the 2010 could be bought the V6's were virtually gone. Did the buyers
    that wanted a V6 have to settle for something less than they wanted with the 4cyl,
    or did they just go buy a Nissan or Honda or whatever like I thought I was going to
    have to do.
  • I guess it all boils down to economies of scale. Hyundai is willing to give up a few sales while offering a lower price point and better economy than the competition.

10 years ago, when 2.2L fours with 140HP were commonly the base engine in this class, there was good reason to opt for the 200HP (at that time) V6s that were offered. In 2010 with I4 engines pushing 200HP and offering excellent economy, the demand for the V6s will continue to shrink.

With $4/gasoline coming back soon (2011 at the latest), Hyundai is making the wise play and they can offer a high-output turbo I4 for the performance crowd.

P.S. I believe $5/gasoline in the U.S. is very likely in the near future and that will put many of us in sub-compacts and compacts anyway.
  • Economics, good subject, lets compare a few known statistics. For 2009 in the
    midsize sedan class VW Passat I4 200 hp turbo is compared to the 2009 Sonata
    along with a string of other cars like Altima, and Accord etc. These have I4's also,
    not turbos maybe but near the same HP rating 180-190 or so. The VW's 200hp
    turbo is rated EPA 19-29 combined 23, hiway 32mpg "advertised", premium fuel
    recommended. I think the Sonata I4 is EPA rated a little better with a tad less HP
    on regular fuel. Now the Sonatas 3.3L V6 249 hp is EPA rated 19-29 with 23 combined regular fuel recommended same as the VW 200hp turbo. I have seen in
    the mid 30's consistently on the hiway 70+ mph with AC on. (check on real world
    mpg). You may have seen a little better on your I4's, for 50 to 70HP less you should
    have. The lowest calculated mpg i've had on this car is over 25mpg (not much bumper to bumper driving but not all hiway either). The three trims of Sonata's carry
    a different price tag, the base GLS. the SE, & the limited a little more for the V6 equally equipped. The Passat base 200hp turbo is about $28,000+. None of these
    cars listed above are hybrids. When the 2011 models hit the market what will the
    I4's have over the 2009 & 2010's, what will you have to pay for that turbo 4 cyl and
    what is the EPA mpg going to be. We know now what the I4 and the V6 gets in the
    2009 model. Will the 2011 Sonata follow suit w/ the VW turbo? at $4 or $5 a gallon
    gas and the V6 is not available what now? Economics is the key!
  • Real world MPG of the I4 versus the V6 is significant. The V6 real kills you if driven hard, especially in town where mileage can easily drop to 15mpg in a 3300 pound mid-size sedan.

On the hwy they're more comparable with the I4 typically besting the V6s by 10%. Yes if you need a 300HP rocket sled that goes from 0-60 faster than a 1980s Corvette, by all means get something other than the new Hyundai.
  • Real world mpg can vary very much I4 versus I4 even, no one drives exactly the same nor do they follow the same path. There are many things that affect actual
    MPG, type of tires (inflated correctly or not) type of gas, the correct oil for the area,
    driving conditions, driving terrain, plenty stop and go city traffic, high altitude driving,
    low altitude driving, always in a hot climate or a cold climate That is just a few items
    that can affect what an individual actually calculates MPG (real world), there are
    many others.
    Drive the I4 real hard and see what happens, bring it in the city and see what happens, do you think it is immune to a dramatic MPG drop? As for as the curb
    weight it is listed at a little more that 3300K f/ the V6 and the I4 is just below it. But if you like the 3300# number we will use that. Correct me if I,m wrong but doesn't the little I4 have to carry about the same weight? with that said, if you load a
    trailer with a lot of weight what do you think will fare better dragging it, a vehicle with
    a little HP or one with a lot of HP. If you will tell me, where does the 10% better MPG come from I have been researching this 2009 car for at least 5 months, Hyundai reports, owner reviews, Car&Driver reviews, Edmunds etc. and I have never
    seen this posted, besides how would this be real accurate if most everyone lists a
    different MPG.

As for as the 300hp rocket thing you mentioned I don't have one and don't need one
    I gave up racing over 40 years ago but I can assure you when I did it wasn,t with a
    4 cylinder or a V6. What I choose to drive and how I do it should be no concern of
    yours unless you plan on paying for it.

In closeing, other than hear say who knows for sure what Hyundai has coming for
    the USA market in 2011, that remains to be seen. But anyway hope everyone finds
    the car that suits them. Have a good one!!!
  • If you will tell me, where does the 10% better MPG come from I have been researching this 2009 car for at least 5 months, Hyundai reports, owner reviews, Car&Driver reviews,....

=================================

Try looking here.... EPA.gov

I4 engines improve dynamic responses and weigh less. But yes - if you are pulling a trailer with your unibody, mid-size sedan - get a V6.
    Here's another take on swapping out six-cylinder engines for turbo fours, from the latest Car & Driver:

A few years into the new 5-series' life, the engine portfolio will change to more fuel-efficient turbo-charged, direct-injection four-cylinders that will likely spell the end of the silky-smooth inline sixes of the 528i and 535i.

So with the 2011 Sonata, Hyundai is actually leading the way in going down a path that other automakers including BMW are following with their mid-sized cars. If BMW is going to ditch their legendary inline sixes in favor of I4s in the 5-series, what does that say for the future of six-cylinder engines in mid-sized cars?
  • ...what does that say for the future of six-cylinder engines in mid-sized cars?

=====================================

They are nearly dead. Next generation cars from most major automakers (like the '11 Sonata) will be powered by large (2.4 to 2.7L) 4 cyclinder powerplants with 5/6 speed automatic gearboxes.
  • hdsithdsit Posts: 58
    Posted this in hyundai-forums.com, but got no usefull replies:
    Just got my sonata 09 totaled in a crash front and back... No personel damages at all.
    I'm considering if i should wait to get the new YF, i40. Or buy a second hand right now (takes 3-4 months to get a new from Korea)
    I get misleading information on when it arrives here in europe (Denmark).
    Posts and blogs said it will be available in europe i next year - around juli as far as i can see according to earlier change/release plans (5 years).
    My 05 NF was on sale in Denmark in juli 05, and released(sold) in Korea in end of 2004.
    The danish importer said it first will be available in start of 2011. Even they not have any written information about it yet, and cant say for sure...
    Someone knows anythink specific about this.
  • My last reply was to your inferance to REAL WORLD MPG as you put it, not the
    EPA rating. Everyone who reads a sticker price on a new car sees that, and it also
    says actual mpg will vary for different drivers, and in real world that is what happens.
    As I mentioned before there are so many factors that affect MPG its not possible
    for everyone everywhere to report the same numbers. Example would be if we both
    have identical Sonata"s w/ I4's, and I live and drive mainly in suburban area that is
    rather conjested and you live in a out of town country setting and only come to the city now and then, would we both post the same MPG? not hardly! Another case
    could be with you and your own car, you may drive the same path to work every day, yesterday you lucked out and hit the traffic and the signal lights just right, today however your luck ran out and that same road has a bad accident ahead of
    you and are creeping along stop and go for an hour or so. Would your MPG calculate the same both days? I saw a post recently on one of the Edmunds forums, the person was asking for replys to his problem it went kind of like this.
    My brother and I have just bought each a 2009 Sonata just alike except his has the
    V6 and mine has the I4, how can he consistently meet and even exceed my combined MPG?. We live and work near each other so driving conditions are basically equal. I don't know what the answers are for that question but I could go
    back and looked if I was interested. This is not posted as an argument for or against either type engine, only sharing information, and a lot of it is opinion and
    opinions are like a "BUTT" everybody has one.

The deal about the loaded trailer was meant to show that the 4cylinder is lugging
    around just about the same weight as the V6. That weight difference would be a huge factor on a NASCAR vehicle, I don't know if that is the same case with a family sedan, just the drivers weights could be several hundred pounds different. So
    the idea of the 4cylinder being a few pounds lighter and making a big difference in
    MPG sounds like a theory to me, unless everyone's car carry's exactly the same
    weight there will be a difference. IMO why would Hyundai need or want to play
    follow the leader anymore, both of their new engines were designed and built here
    in the US at the Hyundai plant in Alabama not over seas, their dependability is already proven and the mpg is just as good or better than most compeditors in the
    class. If BMW or Mercedes or whoever needs to change their drive trane to keep up
    with Hyundai, well so be it. Could you fill me in on "the I4's improve the dynamic
    responses"in what area and compared to what? All info is welcomed.
    Just a little note, one of the reasons I bought the new V6 is, it has a timing chain
    not a belt like a lot of other engines, the stupid belt can be very unhealthy for the
    engine traveling at 70MPH. Changing the belt at correct intervauls is kind of an
    expensive add on.
  • Could you fill me in on "the I4's improve the dynamic responses"in what area and compared to what?

------------------------------------------

Without getting into details, weight distribution is the key. Cars with better weight distribution handle and brake better and are more agile than "nose heavy" cars. V6 engines put too much weight over the front axle in mid-size car, FWD applications; often placing 100 plus pounds of additional weight right where it's not wanted.

The U.S. market is the only one in the world that still sells V6 engines in this segment. This segment being mid-size passenger cars or the "C/D segment" as the auto industry call it. That will change over the next few years and by 2013, the V6 will be all but gone because it's rarely needed in cars this size.

Modern I4 engines, some with turbos, will be the dominant engine in most passenger cars soon. Many of these engines will push 250HP in their HO variations and not all I4 have timing belts, many have chains.

V6s will still be around for a few years in the mid-size class. There will be plenty of options for the time being. Even Hyundai could drop a V6 in the Sonata for 2012 if demand warrants it. People who have the need for the bigger engine can get one.

The issue is, most people don't need the V6 - that's why 85% of them opt for the I4 and it's the right play if you don't drive fully loaded or tow anything regularly.

Best of luck whatever car you chose. I love the look of the '11 Sonata and 200hp I4 engine will be ideal for me. I know that's not the case for everyone and we have many choices available.

P.S. The EPA website also contains "Owner Reported" mpg figures.
  • I don't know where you came up with that information but giving you due respect
    it must be only your opinion and you do have the right to that. But different than you
    I will get into some detail for the people who would like to have more accurate set
    of stats, this is a list of a few cars that compare to the 2009 Sonata in the as you
    put it "mid-size passenger cars FWD applications" All below are 2009 models.
    abbreviation s/s is for EPA rated smaller than Sonata

malibu v6 s/s
    altima v6 s/s
    camry v6 s/s
    mazda6 v6 s/s
    fusion v6 s/s
    cadillac sts, cts v6 s/s
    lincoln mkz v6 s/s
    acura tl v6 s/s
    lexus gs 350 v6 s/s
    lexus ls 60dh v8 s/s
    audi a6 Quattro v8 s/s
    audi a8 v8 s/s
    mercedes benz e-550 v8 s/s

a few that are rated large like sonata but very close to total interior volume size
    accord v6
    jaguar X v8
    infiniti m35 v6
    azera v6
    genesis v8

next is a couple of sedans that fall a little short of the midsize class
    BMW M3 v8 COMPACT
    VW CC v6 COMPACT
    Some of these above listed cars come in FWD,RWD and AWD.
    As for as the weight distribution being the key to handle better (opinion only) I rather
    the v6, the breaking 0-60 skid pad test did not differentiate between the I4 or the V6.
    The I4 and the V6 Sonata are exactly the same size and same curb to curb turning
    radius so how can 1 be more agile than the other, also the I4 is a long way behind on the get up and go. I would like to sit on top of a lot more HP and not ever use it
    than not have it if it's really needed, I'm more than willing to give up a mpg or so.
    The 85% that opt for the I4 may be because 85% of the Sonatas built or I4's and
    after all V6 trims are sold what else is the choice. How do you know that if more
    were built they wouldn't be bought. It costs the car makers less to make an I4 so
    it's on the market costing less, if they were exactly the same price would any of the
    I4 lovers jump over? What does the survey say about that? You know it's really not
    an issue about need for the v-6 it's more of a want, same goes for the I4 you don't need a 200HP 4 cylinder or a 250HP 4 cylinder turbo just as you don't need the same HP rated V6!!!! right. So when all the big V6"s and V8's are replaced with the I4 200-250 hp you are about where you now, what will replace the I4, a peddle
    car, good luck with that! I will agree on one thing, your right the 2011 looks good.
    Same goes for everyone out there hopefully the car you buy is what you really want,
    because your stuck with it a while just like me. We do like ours so far.

P.S. and the "real world mpg forum" is right here on Edmunds.
    I agree with the assertion that reducing weight, especially in the front on a FWD car, helps handling in general. If you need independent opinion to back that up, it's out there, but I don't have time right now to dig it up.

Agility is not just about the dimensions of the car and turning radius. Weight and weight distribution also play a role, as do other factors such as tire/rim size and suspension tuning (not all Sonatas are alike there).

It's great you love your V6. Personally I think I4s are fine for this class of vehicle. I agree that no one "needs" a 200 hp I4 in this kind of car either. I'd rather have 160 hp or so with a boost in FE than 200 hp.

One advantage of an I4 compared to a V6 (in particular the V6 on the Sonata): have you compared the prices on servicing those two engines? From what I've read, oil changes cost more for the V6. But the biggie is any service that requires access to the back bank of cylinders, e.g. spark plug change. The car shouldn't need that kind of service very often, but I'd rather pay less for service over a car's lifetime than more.
  • Reading this post reminds of an old saying.

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."
  • All these discussions are what this forum is all about, sharing info about the
    differences and likes or dislikes of cars.
    The list of cars in the earlier post was to show that all those car makers still offer the V6 and V8's in their 2009 and 2010 models. Some of them don't offer a 4 cyl. in their car line at all. If there is no market for more HP why do they continue to add HP to all their engines including the 4 cylinder. I f the smaller I4 is so good, decreasing the HP should make it even better and more desirable right?
    How about a 2 cylinder that would be the ultimate wouldn't it! "I can't wait"
    Just because Hyundai USA only makes 15-20% of the Sonatas w/ the V6 doesn't
    absolutely mean that it will revolutionize the auto industry. The 4 cylinder cost less
    to produce so it is cheaper, good for the people that want a good dependable car at
    a good price, but if it were the same price would the V6 get anymore attention?
    At a couple of thousand dollars cheaper I bet it would look a whole lot better to quite a few people. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

The assessment on the suspension being different on some Sonatas is correct and
    the weight distribution is also important. A little more weight on the drive axle will
    create better traction, compare a FWD to a RWD and see which one you can spin
    the tires on easier, or make a turn to fast in the rain or snow and watch where your
    [non-permissible content removed] end goes! The idea to put the engine on top of the drive axle in the front wasn't
    to allow you to put more in the trunk. Would a little more weight (100# are so) make
    a major dynamic difference? If it had anything to do with adverse effects on handling or safety why don't they put the engine in the back? How well did that work out for the old VW and the Chevy Corvair? not so well it seems. Where is the
    engine in a NASCAR racing machine? handles the speed and track pretty good it
    looks like. It,s not that I love the V6 in my Sonata it,s more about not liking the I4!
    If I had the choice it would be a V8 like the Genesis, but 250hp plus or minus with
    the 3.3L is good enough for me. To each his own!

P.S. I have owned 4 different 4 cylinder vehicles in the past, "I have been there"