Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    busterbritbusterbrit Member Posts: 27
    When I start the car sometimes I get a loud static sound from the speakers but its not even on. I can't turn down the volume. If I push the power button it actually turns on the stereo and the static goes away. It is very annoying. Will they be able to fix this?
  • Options
    googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    "Optima will be made in Georgia" Not so. The Optima will be made in Hyundai plant in Alabama, and Sanata Fe which is currently made in Alabama will be moved do KIA's West Point, Georgia plant which just recently was opened and builds latest KIA Sorento.
  • Options
    moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2010
    I am glade to here that,I am waiting for a Black Plum Pearl Limited with NAV. and camel. I was told about the 15th of April. Nice to see they are coming.

Does any know if you load music on a thumb drive can it be used in the USB port?
  • Options
    norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone have the slightest idea when the accessories for the 2011 Sonata Limited will be available. I'd like to get the cargo net. Maybe mud flaps.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I stand corrected! Thanks for the info...Makes sense I guess.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    My Limited came with the cargo mat and net.
    I ordered mud guards from Shark Racing for $45.00.
  • Options
    Does the Limited have Daytime Running Lights?
    I thought they did. Is there a setting?
  • Options
    tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Does any know if you load music on a thumb drive can it be used in the USB port?

Wondered the same myself. That would really be nice.

Tuckerdog1
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Yes, this works wonderfully.
  • Options
    midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Does the Limited have Daytime Running Lights?
    I thought they did. Is there a setting?

Yes it does. Can't remember if there is a setting somewhere. Two places to look. First, the place where all the options are, hold the TRIP button on the steering wheel to get into those. If it's not there, set the headlights to AUTO. That's how mine is set and the DRL are on.
  • Options
    tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Thanks again Syitalian.

Really looking forward to getting this car. Would already have it done if I wasn't laid up recovering from a surgery.

Tuckerdog1
  • Options
    I am being told by my dealer that my car should be in soon. He also said that three weeks ago. Has anyone got or even seen one of these cars? I am waiting for a Black Plum Pearl Limited with camel interior and NAV.
  • Options
    keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Hi
    I love that color also is it a light Blue?did you see the Pacific Blue?
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Watching videos on the NAV screen? Oh boy, 1 more thing to be distracted while driving, that's all we need. :confuse:
  • Options
    shamrock13shamrock13 Member Posts: 8
    Is it true that there is no backup camera in the Nav units in the SEs, and only in the Limiteds?
  • Options
    capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    Yes for some reason the SE doesn't have the backup camera. It is only available on the Limited.

See pg 28-29 of http://www.hyundaiusa.com/ebrochure/Sonata/ for the differences.

Hopefully in the future Hyundai will make this feature available on all trim levels.
  • Options
    I don't think there is a way to turn the DRL's off - does anyone know of one?
  • Options
    2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    'I don't think there is a way to turn the DRL's off - does anyone know of one'?

Why would you want to turn them off? They are a Proven safety device/life saver.
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Were they easy to install. Did you have to remove the rear wheels?
  • Options
    Not sure if mine work.
    Picked my Limited up on Wednesday night.
    Used my pickup on Thursday and today it is raining,
    Trying to keep it clean for a few days. Are they automatically
    on when you start the car or do they go on when put into gear?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I haven't received them yet, got the info from another post.
    They said they had to turn the front wheels and use a snubby
    screwdriver for the rear.
    Supposedly the holes line up with the existing screws and holes.
  • Options
    chalirebrownchalirebrown Member Posts: 38
    I bought the Sonata SE 2011 it he Pacific Blue Pearl and it looks great int he sunlight-in the dark it looks almost black but I am very satisfied wiht this car and i don't go on impulse, I do my homework first
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Absolutely. I have both a 2010 Tucson Ltd and a 2010 Elantra Touring. Both will play music loaded to a USB with no problems whatsoever.

And you can put many hours of music on a 4GB thumbdrive!
  • Options
    brdesignbrdesign Member Posts: 3
    cmuniz - would you mind telling me what dealer you bought your new sonata from? I would love to give them a call and find out if I could order it from them. Thanks again.
  • Options
    exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2010
    I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer today to take a look at the 2011 Sonata. They have them all marked up $3000 above MSRP. The sales guy was really argogant and acted like he was doing me a favor to even let me look at one. He claimed they were selling them at full MSRP + $3000 as fast as they could get them in.
  • Options
    swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    Guess they prefer trying to take advantage of people that don't do their homework. Time to go to another dealer.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    That's the kind of dealer that deserves to be outed. Why don't you post their name and location here so people will know not to patronize them.
  • Options
    "That's the kind of dealer that deserves to be outed. Why don't you post their name and location here so people will know not to patronize them."

Well, here it is:
    Southwest Hyundai, Albuquerque NM
  • Options
    04sport04sport Member Posts: 6
    good !!!!!!!!! let do it everyone.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    edited April 2010
    The dealer is Eckert Hyundai, 3811 South I-35 East, Denton, Tx 76210. Their phone # is 940 243-6200. They are family owned and operated and very easy to deal with.
  • Options
    Anyone know what speed the transmission should shift into 6th.
    If I'm on the highway doing 60-65 in drive and I move it
    over to manual, it will be in 5th. Can someone check how theirs is?
  • Options
    larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    Go with the Black. I own a 2008 azera with black interior, and it still looks new! Also, the beige(camel) and gray tend to stain and get dirty real fast and are impossibe to keep clean! The black interior is so much classier and it matches the dash were the other 3 colors camel gray and the infamous wine(agg!!) look awful in that 2-tone image. Camel/black bad especially the steering wheel! Gray/black not as good as the black/black and then the wine/black - oh my god! I hope you are color blind if you get any of the 3 mentioned 2-tones, especially camel and wine.Your friend is right, black does get hotter in the summer time but it is also warmer in the winter time.
  • Options
    I am a private investigator and when I sit with the car running trying to pretend I'm not in the car you can see the DRL's from a distance, especially at night of course. They are the same bulbs at the brights I believe so I can't just take them out.
  • Options
    Not only did my dealership not mark up MSRP, they gave me a 12% discount off MSRP. I hope that dealership goes belly up. I also hope you told them what to do with there car.
  • Options
    2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Just apply your Parking Brake...... The DRL's should go out.

This was/is the case with all other cars I have owned with DRLs
  • Options
    That is a matter of opinion.
    I have the gray and like it.
    Black is almost too much black.
  • Options
    sb2002sb2002 Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I have owned a 2002 black hyundai sonata for 9 years. I am now in the market for a new sedan. I have done much research on what cars are out there, and I just must have a soft spot for this new 2011 sonata. Can someone tell me how the bluetooth phone hands free works in the speakers? I have heard from one site that there is much echo and it does not work.

Also, does anyone have a black on black limited with navigation? This is the car I want and I am curious if any driver has feedback on this specific vehicle. Thank you.
  • Options
    midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Bluetooth works fine for me. No echo at all. Might be phone dependent. I would like it to be a little louder, but as long as I don't get a weak connection it's fine.

I can't comment on black on black, but I have the Pearl White Limited with the black interior and I think it's a great combo. The nav works great but I think the POI database is a little lacking. But that's not that abnormal I'm afraid.
  • Options
    shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I have that combo and I love it. Any specific questions?
  • Options
    sb2002sb2002 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for responding.

What to you dislike and like most about the car? Can you give me your opinion of its noise based on the engine versus a V6?

Are you willing to share with us the price you paid for it?

If you could send or post photos of it, I have a couple dealers in my city currently looking for the black on black but they can't find any. Any photos would be awesome.

Regarding blue tooth, how many voice command dials can you make? When there is an incoming call, does it recognize your address book to tell you via the nav screen who it is?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Options
    louie7louie7 Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2010
    After three weks my daughter loves her GLS

Which stands for-

GREAT LOOKING SONATA

A co worker thought it was a Mercedes, yes, a big stretch
  • Options
    jaimzjaimz Member Posts: 15
    "Southwest Hyundai, Albuquerque NM"

That's the problem. Albuquerque is just about a completely isolated city....a day's drive from Phoenix and Denver. There's no competition.

We're even running into this problem in the West. They just won't match the prices everyone is coming up with in the East. I busted my [non-permissible content removed] off to get my Lmtd for 24.7K, calling and emailing just about every dealership in the Bay area plus the 200 surrounding miles. I told them about the sub 24k prices, and it didn't make a difference. Lucky to live on the Eastern seaboard if you want a nice car.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't mind driving for the right car at the right price. I bought my last car in Durango, about 4 hours drive from here. They had the model I wanted and the price was right.

Both Hyundai dealers here are owned bt the same blood suckers - Larry H Miller Group. I figure when the new model "feeding frenzy" is over, they'll be dealing on price again. I've seen this happen before with other new models.

Oh yeah, did I mention the same arrogant sales guy claimed the Sonata gets 41 MGP? Sheesh.
  • Options
    mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2010
    Direct quotes from MotorTrend - Don't shoot the messenger; write MotorTrend an angry email if you have an issue with their test results:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_1005_best_selling_midsize_family_- - - - sedan_comparison/2011_hyundai_sonata.html#ixzz0iIOe0Qk7

"The biggest problem is the chassis tuning, which sacrifices way too much ride quality on the altar of lateral grip and handling sharpness. Hyundai's 225/45R18 tires are the biggest, lowest-profile meats here and they ride on the widest track, laying a terrific foundation for strong handling dynamics. But the company's lack of practice building Grand Touring suspensions shows in its choice of dampers, springs, and bushings, which hunker down for great cornering on a perfectly smooth surface but send the car bounding around on imperfections and undulations, compromising grip and upsetting the ride. Similarly, the second quickest steering here makes turn-in feel aggressive, but transmits little or no road feel."

But it's not just the suspension and numb steering. It's the 2nd from last loudest interior and the backwards step in interior room and quality of materials:

"Yes, we realize GLS and Limited models will ride better, but other shortcomings as a sedan conspired to lower the Sonata's rank. Most editors' noggins contacted the rear ceiling (despite those best-in-class rear headroom figures), the cabin din at 70 mph was second loudest, and access to the roomy trunk is through a smallish opening, thanks to the rear-window placement. The previous model's interior design and ergonomics were also deemed richer looking and more user friendly."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_1005_best_selling_midsize_family_- - - - sedan_comparison/2011_hyundai_sonata.html#ixzz0iIOe0Qk7
  • Options
    jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    People... please DO NOT FEED THE TROLL! ;)
  • Options
    keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    SX adds auto-leveling high-intensity-discharge headlights, LED rear taillights, rear spoiler, side sills, 18-inch black alloy wheels, leather seats, upgraded LCD gauge cluster, steering-wheel paddle shifters, and metal pedals and door scuff plates.

These features are n the Optima that are not available ont he Sonata? Why? I want a Sonata, but I want this features, maybe they'll be on the Turbo?
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    When I took my test drive the salesperson told me that shifting to manual on the highway would automatically downshift one gear. Not sure if that is true, but it would explain why you are in 5th when you do it.
  • Options
    meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    I tested it yesterdat at 65 mph. When I changed to manual shift mode, rpm went up to over 2000 from around 1750 and indicator showed I was at 5th gear. So I think that salesperson was right.
  • Options
    Well the 2011 Sonata Limited Turbo has most of those features except LED taillights, the spoiler, and the HID headlights. Personally, the gauges are one of the best parts of the interior so I would not want them to be upgraded anyways. The Optima is a nice car but the Sonata is by far better looking.. both better than a Camry.
  • Options
    The car puts it into 5th gear in manual mode to make it easier to downshift more and do some spirited driving. You can usually hit the shifter and put it back into 6th, although depending on your speed it won't let you go that high unless it's in D. Somewhere around 60-65 I believe.