Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part VIII

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Ford
We're still on the list for club status and I'll
keep everyone posted on progress as I know it. In
the meantime, let the adventure continue!

For folks just joining us, you can catch up by
reading Part VII here. In the first post in VII
you'll find a link to VI, and so on. Earlier Parts
are still available in Archives and you will be
taken there automatically by using the link. We
don't want you to miss anything!

carlady/host

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Anyone had a problem with their hatch being difficult to open or jamming, or the "hatch ajar" lamp staying lit after shutting the lid?
  • tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    I recall some people with the wagon having some of those problems.
  • 2villagerowner2villagerowner Member Posts: 6
    IVD will be available in the 2001 Focus models. It is a stabilty control system that works to keep the vehicle from rolling over. There will be a small YAW sensor under the passeneger seat (like in an airplane) that detects when the vehicle approaches enough side motion to roll the vehicle over on its side. The IVD system works with the anti-lock brakes (thus ABS is required) and applies individual brakes necessary to keep all 4 wheel on the ground. This is a big selling point in Europe after the Mercedes Benz roll over problems with the a-class vehicle.
  • tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    I've done a little informal survey around the Seattle area. Over the last week, I've counted 34 Foci, 8 of which are ZX3s. That's around 23%. I asked my dealer when I took delivery, and he guesstimated that they sell about 5 sedans/wagons for every hatch. And hatches seem to be more well accepted here than most places (at least there are a TON of Golf/GTIs, but this town is V-Dub crazy).

Anyway, that's my informal survey. I'll count to a hundred, maybe, and let you know what the final percentage is.

Anybody else?
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Sometimes I think my fiancee and I own the only two ZX3s in Houston - I never see them on the roads, although the sedans are getting to be more commonplace. However, if I had $1 for every chrome-laden SUV or monster 4WD pickup, I'd be shopping for a new Ferrari now! :)
  • tuner1tuner1 Member Posts: 44
    Ive seen mostly sedans and wagons but just one ZX3 in sandgria red.
  • imsoyboyimsoyboy Member Posts: 34
    I've only seen three..one of which is mine...Another was a much older man in the same sangria red as me and a white one in the gas station...oh yeah about the fuel indicator...does anyone know how come it takes sooo long for it to show a full tank when filling up. The other day I filled up (was on 1/4 of a tank) and it took about 1/2 hour to show full...
  • gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    I think the hatch is holding it's own here in Des
    Moines, Iowa.
    I'd say the numbers are pretty equal.
    7 hatches
    5 sedans
    1 wagon
    (Of course, these are just the ones I've seen or had reported to me be friends.)
    Saw an Autumn Orange Sedan yesterday. I really
    like that color. There is a Dodge Neon parked here
    at work that is almost the same color.

thanks silver_bullet for the info on 'backlight',
    Gabe
    Check out the june issue of automobile magazine.I felt the comparison should of been made against the:civic ex,golf 2.0,and the neon with 132hp.Either way our hatchling held it's own!
  • goochzx3goochzx3 Member Posts: 8
    I go to Rutgers, so my numbers are a little weird.However, in town there are at least three other ZX3s. College students like hatchbacks.

Also, when I went car shopping, the dealer was low on hatchlings, 'cause parents are buying them as "gifts" to their graduating high schoolers. Look around college towns in Sep, ther'll be ZX3s a plenty!
  • rubberbanrubberban Member Posts: 37
    the june issue of sport compact car has an article on the interactive vehicle dynamics system on euro ford focus. seems like a next generation traction control system. i'm no expert but it's purpose is to keep the car from slipping. it works with both the abs and the traction control system.
  • focusfanaticfocusfanatic Member Posts: 42
    Hey guys, I've got a limited budget this year so whaddya think I should upgrade first? I'm deciding between 17'' rims and sticky tires ($1200) a quaife limited-slip diff ($1250) or an H&R coil-over kit ($1500). I'm kinda leaning towards the differential, as I'd probably get the best performance gain from that. But then again, the wheels just look so dang good, its hard to resist them. And as for the coil-overs- *drool. They sound like they'd help a bunch with body roll and stability but I'm still hesitant to fool with the suspension. Any comments/suggestions/ideas?
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    In a two county area, Chautauqua and Cattaraugus, of NYS, I think there is only one other ZX3 (rainforest green). It could be a rental (of dealer employee's) as I also see it at a dealership quite often. Lot of sedans, and a few wagens. Someone told me that there is also a white Z running around, but I haven't seen it. Anyway, I'm way outnumbered by sedans and wagens. But, I like the attention!
    Pat
    focusfanatic,
    Keep it simple. Catback exaust and the chip and air intake! You'll blow their minds.
    Pat
    Go with the 17''rims,I would avoid the diff on a new car.As for the coil-overs they are sweet but consider what you could get for $1500.For ex.[lowering springs,euro shocks,airintake,cat-back exaust and even a superchip]the last 3 mods. can net you 25-30hp and elimanate that 106mph speed gov.!
    exhaust,eliminate.OOPPPPPPPPPPS!I also wanted to add thicker swaybars and adjustable cam.gears.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Thanks for the advice guys! This is always the first place I look for info! But I still have a few questions- why should i avoid a limited-slip on a new car? I'd love to get all that power down to the road. And wouldnt an all-in-one suspension kit be better than a pieced together setup? (How would I know all the parts would work together?) I am willing to pay a bit more for long-term reliability and quality. As to the engine mods, I'm not as experienced as all of you guys, so I'm not sure I'd want to fool with that. (But if I did, I'd probably grab some adjustable cam gears and a cat-back, as you guys suggested.) For now, I'll probably just concentrate on handling and save the power issues for next year. I think I'll start with the rims........ then the suspension, then the diff...(uh-oh, I'm getting carried away again!) There goes all my money!
    hmmmm an extra 25-30hp sounds tasty- dont think I'll be goin 106mph though. lol. thanks again tuner1!
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    I took the plunge and ordered my ZX3 today. I expect delevery in early to mid July. At least I'm hoping... I went with a third dealer - A big Ford place in Binghamton NY. They matched the $100 over invoice price of the previous dealer, but are much more convienent to get to.

I skipped the lower price offer because I don't have a lot of confidence in that dealer's service department. I figured it was best to support the dealer that's more likely to give me better support.

I stuck with the yellow. I set the retouched photo as my work PC's desktop picture and stared at it all morning. It quickly grew on me.

Even in that form the Z attracted a number of comments from coworkers. What's the real thing going to do?

I went for a drive this afternoon, passed a different dealer, and spotted a white ZX3 on the lot. I immediately stopped and shot some pix with the digicam. I think lighter colors are quite effective on this car.

I was able to modify the color of the white pix a lot better then I could on the silver. I posted three views ofthe car in yellow on a simple web page if anyone wishes to give them a peek. The full size versions look a lot better then the down sampled and compressed versions on the web page. If anyone is interested, I can send out, or post, the bigger versions.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/6732/graphics/yellow.html

Note that the old link I gave yesterday is now dead. I'll keep this one alive until we see some pictures of the real thing.
  • hatchqueenhatchqueen Member Posts: 27
    Man-200 posts later I catch up...
    I've read several posts saying that Koni's upcoming shocks will be designed to work with the stock springs. Will that be a problem on shorter springs?
    Rubberban-any new thoughts on your chip upgrade?
    Re: comercial with focus. Someone commented on the recent commercial featuring the focus. I believe they are hatchbacks. Its a commercial for Honey Bunches of Oats.
    Jwkessler1-the yellow in your pic looks exactly like the zinc yellow zx3 featured in Super Ford.
    Gas cover: I was pouring over Pa's airplane supply catalog(he's building a plane). The tank covers seem to match more closely the one installed on the Focus R, but they seemed to be the direct connecting type you see on motorcycles. I didn't see how they could be used, bummer. Keep in mind I don't really know how these are set up.
    Mods: I know you're all sick of this topic. I personally love the slammed japanese look. It's nice if someone does something outrageous, even if it is a little silly sometimes. I hope we didn't scare off the mighty projectzx3, I love his posts.
    I wanted to hear more about the borla cat back he was installing.
    I reached 1400 mil., this car is smoothing out beautifully. But it feels less "broken-in" in the 5000 rpm area, where I haven't gone is much. Hope this passes.
    Later...
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    jwkessler1- congrats. i really like the look of
    that zinc yellow. way to go with your gut instinct.
    i dont think it looks silly at all,actually a great
    match for such a radically-designed car.personally,
    i dont think anyone could pick a wrong color for the z-they all look good.enjoy!
    silver bullet- i had a bad hatch lock,it kept getting caught-up.it was replaced. striker post cushion + assembly is now being replaced under warranty of course.
  • qualequale Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know how the "FOCUS" and "ZX3" emblems are attached on the hatch? Was thinking of removing them but didn't want to be stuck with little visible holes.
    Stuck on, but be careful. Dental floss helps with removal. Theres a post on this on one of the other websites. "www.discussion-board.com/clubfocus", think that was were I saw details on removal.
    Pat
  • rubberbanrubberban Member Posts: 37
    so far i have the chip and focus sport cool flo intake installed and i think it's a great combination. throttle response is greatly improved as with passing power. the car goes from 60-80 in a flash with plenty of low end torque. basically this combination almost forces you to drive more aggressively and that's fine by me. i'm still waiting on my borla cat back

as for power mod's, i know we all went through this before but i'll reiterate the argument and say that i think it's highly unlikely that the simple mods of exhaust, intake and chip will produce 25-30 more horsepower. somewhere between 10-20 seems more realistic.

as for wheels, i was really tempted to get 17 inch wheels but the idea of adding unsprung weight to the car is a major negative. especially after investing my hard earned money and time into making my car a little more athletic. i didn't want to negate this increased power by carrying heavier wheels. it was still tempting so instead i opted to put on better tires on the car (potenza re730) obliging me to get good use from both sets of tires before i get those wheels. hopefully by then there will be a larger selection of wheels and i can find something that's close to the stock wheels weight (16.75 lbs each).
  • segacidesegacide Member Posts: 15
    After doing a TON of research about aftermarket upgrades, both online and in shops I have come to these conclusions:

1: KurtZ Kustomz intake is a sham. It may increase throttle response but all the other claims of functionality on their website are unfounded. Go for the Focus Sport intake or another brand with a heat shield. I know Focus Sport extensively tests all of their products before selling them. That's where I'm going to buy a majority of my upgrades. KKM also sells another haphazard upgrade: The super chip. Another untested item not worth voiding part of your warranty over, I'm waiting for Focus Sport to bring out theirs.

2: Never lower your focus without upgrading your stock shocks at the same time. The stock shocks are too weak and won't be able to bounce back, eventually they are rendered useless.

3: Don't add decals and banners to your car without actually adding upgrades. You are viewed as loser by everyone when you can't walk the walk. This is THE #1 pet peeve of all the aftermarket parts dealers online and in shops. When your car says KKM or Focus Sport, there better be an item under the hood to justify the sticker. Aftermarket parts stores actually sell more decals and stickers than they have parts for, so legit customers like me have to be put on back order for a window banner when all the posers have them without the parts.

4: Overall: the focus is still too new in the US to risk many untested upgrades. I wouldn't want anybody here to go without their ride. I'm still waiting for my Focus to get here in Germany. I'll be the first one on base with a 3 door. Maybe even the first one in this section of Germany, all I see is the 5-door models around here.
    I just wanted to say that 25hp is possibly with just the exhaust,intake,superchip.Think about it 5hp from the exhaust,5hp-intake for a total of 140hp.The superchip will up that by 10%-15%,now your talking 24hp-31hp.I understand that only a dyno run can prove these numbers.In response to post #28,the ford ZX2 sold here in the states uses the 2.0zetec engine with only minor differences.If you check out a few ZX2 sites you will see favorable responses to the superchip upgrade.
  • zx3guyzx3guy Member Posts: 9
    Well, I went to the local Ford showroom to have one last look at the Zinc Yellow ZX3. After walking around it a few times, I asked the dealer to go ahead and change my colour from twilight blue to the yellow.

jwkessler1's doctored pic of a yellow Z is very good, but I wouldn't base my decision on it. The actual colour, IMO, is more intense, for lack of a better word....

My only concern is looking silly in such a brightly coloured car. I decided that if I regret my choice, I can always get it repainted. (My cousin owns an autobody shop....he'll repaint it at cost)

So, has anyone else seen a *real* yellow hatchling yet? Any thoughts?
    Remember guys and gals our stock alloys are made using the casting process which makes them cheaper to make and heavier.I plan on purchasing a good set of forged alloy wheels which cost more but are lighter.Best of both worlds I'll have 17in wheels and they'll be lighter than my stock 15inchers.
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    I was informed the ZincYellow of the Z hatchling is "identical to VW New Beetle yellow".
    If true, it means you're going to be one happy dude. I've seen a yellow New Beetle --- the color's so intense it knocks yer socks off.
    zx3
  • zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    The Z hatchling comes with 15 inchers. What are the Plus's, if I go 16" or 17" or 18"?
    Also, what does are the Negatives (engine rpm, tansmission, gas mileage, wear, ... whatever)?
    zx3
  • teamzx3yellowteamzx3yellow Member Posts: 21
    I have seen a pic of the zinc yelow sedan... the yelow is is more weak orangish yellow than it is pale whitish yelow... I'll post the link to the pic...
    hey there tuner 1!- why should I avoid the quaife limited slip differential on a new car? It looks to be incredible!
  • focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    Hye about the mods--35 hp is not a possible gain with those mods, I will agree with the possibility of 15hp, maybe. Mods that will give power are headers, cams and upgrades of that nature. Simple bolt-ons will not give that increase unless we are talking about a bigger engine.
    As for Zinc Yellow, I am VERY disappointed by it, and the whole range of Focus colors. I have Malibu Blue, and i think its the best color, the others arent radical enough for the car (especially that autumn orange, if you think its orange, could have been cool...) I was mad when I found out that there was a Yellow, but I was hoping for a VW GTI Yellow and its not that at all.. It just dont look right, and I am happy to say no regrets on this purchase or color, though defogger performance is bad without a/c.
  • calico1calico1 Member Posts: 52
    FYI: if anyone is waiting for or looking for a malibu blue ZX3 (no, not mine--are you kidding? I won't even let anyone else DRIVE the calicomobile!), I saw one on the lot at Star Ford here in Louisville, KY. I don't know if it's auto or 5-sp, but it's there and I thought I'd share the news. (Oh, by the way, Star Ford was not my dealer, so I can't comment on the dealership from firsthand experience)
    Later--
    Calico1
    tuner 1 -are you sure about cast alloys weighing
    more than forged?- i thought the opposite to be true.just wondering......thanks
  • spdplayspdplay Member Posts: 12
    Hey, it's okay if you don't like a certain companies products or if you like one company's better, but i just wanted to say that you shouldn't knock a company like that. i think KKM really knows what they're doing.
    I bought the intake and it is sweet. Easy to install a making a difference big time.
    I couldn't agree more with the fact that FOCUSSPORT makes/markets nice products and that you shouldn't boast company logos you can't back up, but I think KKM is a nice addition to the Focus world of non-OEM parts.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    my son lost one of our keys. has keyless remote 'fob'. we still have one but how much can he expect to fork out...? considering its got a chip in it and all...plus the keyless entry? good news...we're loving our zx3. if anyone wants pics email me and i'll try to get you some pics.
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    While patiently waiting (day two of the wait) for delivery, I took a scenic drive south to the Catskill Mountains today. During the day I spotted 1 Focus - a 4 door - and 2 Humvees! Could the Humvee be more popular then the Focus? It would appear that way at least in this part of the world. There is no accounting for taste among the wealthy NYC crowd that hangs out in the Catskills.

Thanks teamzx3yellow for the picture! The lighting is a lot different then my outdoor shots, but I'll see if I can tweek my fakes to be a bit closer to the real thing.

If anyone with a digicam spots a zinc yellow Focus, please grab a shot or two.

As for the comparison to the Beetle color, I can't say, but it is definetly the same color that Ford uses on the Mustang. Yellow Mustangs are fairly common so you may stand a better chance of spotting one.
  • hatchqueenhatchqueen Member Posts: 27
    Are replacements available for the blue ford ovals? I would love to see them in red.(Coca-Cola style!)
    I just spent five hours detailing my ride. Looks better than the day I picked it up(two hours later its covered with pollen). I used a product called California Water Blade to dry it. Its a thin silicone strip that you run along the car to scrape water off. Supposedly it has less friction than cloth. It worked better on my girl friend's Corola, what with all the sharp angles of the focus. All in all its a great product. Got the Orick car-vac and lint roller, not to mention the static charged dry wipes. All work wonders to cherry the dark charcoal interior.
  • spdplayspdplay Member Posts: 12
    i agree with the need for red emblems. i've been trying to find them for three months with no luck!
    Honda, acura and every other make has 'em. why not ford?! I think they should re-write them to say FOCUS and not ford as well.
  • hondattitudehondattitude Member Posts: 17
    what happened to the zing album for the focus pictures... and regard the emblems i have in fact seen ford aftermarket ones on a mustang and in place of where it says ford it said Steda now god help me figure out what it means but it was there... i tell you no lie...
    Steve
  • segacidesegacide Member Posts: 15
    sdplay: I'm not saying KKM is a sham, just their True-Rev induction kits. Look at what they sell. EVERYTHING is third party, like Richbrook and MoMo. I'm not sure if they engineered the intake but the list of features (as told to me by Focus Sport and Focus Parts.com) aren't really features, like silicone hose couplers. What's that? I did however purchase some nifty billet items to spruce up my interior and engine. Just compare the LOOKS to PERFORMANCE parts of both KKM and Focus Sport, you'll see which is aimed at souping up instead and which is aimed at prettying up.

jwkessler1 #47: Let me tell you that on base the Hummer does outnumber the ZX3. Mine seems to be the only 3-door in Germany. All the German spec cars are 5-doors. I know that their are some differences between the civilian and military Humvees as far as ride and accommodations, but driving that big green diesel monster around leaves you yearning for that sporty coupe. People definitely get out of your way (even the aggressive German drivers) when you are coming through!
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    ZX,

Haven't been in the forum for a bit, but thought it might be helpful to potential buyers to embellish on your factory holdback/dealer invoice comments.

You're right in saying that dealers can still make a profit while selling at their invoice. Factory holdback is typically about 3% of the dealer invoice credited to the dealer on the financial statement.

HOWEVER, the lower the dealer invoice, the less "latitude" a dealer has in the selling price. Considering selling costs such as advertising (mandatory charge) and salesperson commissions, and the net profit on a ZX3 can get a bit skinny.

Conversely, on a higher-end vehicle (using my Dodge Dak Quad Cab at $28K as an example), holdback provides significantly more pricing latitude for the dealer. I bought the Quad at $200 under dealer invoice. We ordered the ZX3 at $100 over dealer invoice. In each case, we felt the pricing was fair.

TO ALL:
    Sounds like ZX3s are more common in other areas than here in metro Detroit... Since ordering hers two weeks ago, my wife and I have each seen ONE on the road... A total of TWO ZX3 "sightings" in two weeks!

We've seen a number of sedans and the occasional wagon on the lots around here... But the ZX3 is definitely a rare bird! While hatchbacks are very common in Europe, they seem to have faded here in the States... Nice to see the combination of performance/form/function returning in the ZX3!
  • jandloisjandlois Member Posts: 4
    thanks pcleveland 2 for the emblem removal tip,it worked perfectly...good idea..thanks again
  • genghis1genghis1 Member Posts: 2
    Want to spruce up that flat black grill on your focus to a cool chrome one?
    go to www.zing.com click on directory
    in the album search box type the words ford focus chrome grill it will lead you to a album of photos of a ford focus with a chrome grill that you can do yourself for under $15.00 US Dollars!
    Check it out!
    no offense intended- but that grill is nasty looking - i dont think it does anything to improve
    upon original. if it was any cheezier one might
    find it on a philly steak sandwich. i perhaps do not get the look,however....to each his own.
This discussion has been closed.