Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part X

Comments

• Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    ND, the oil filter is situated on the firewall side of the engine, and mounts horizontally (i.e., on its side). Unless you arrange a bunch of absorbent rags under the filter when you remove it, oil is going to run down the side of the engine and get onto the subframe and possibly the exhaust pipe. Since I can't imagine anyone but an owner taking the time to be that neat (another reason I change my own oil and filter), you are going to smell oil until the spill burns or washes away. I bet if you inspect the area under the filter, you'll find the source of the smell.
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    Miss my posts? You mean all my whining about brake whining? :)

Well, it's good news I haven't had anything bad to share. And believe me, I have been lurking. I can only post here at work...my comp won't let me post at home...some sort of cookie issue.

I thought I'd spare you all the story of going into the service dept last sat. to have them listen to the intermitant (sp!) thud of my tire. Of course, the mechanic got in the car it wasn't there so ... I get to keep my reputaion of being the crazy paranoid lady.

Going to hit 2000 miles on my commute home (got the car 6/24) so I am still piling the miles on and the brakes still squeak VERY loudly when I brake. It sucks, but there's not much I can do I guess. :(

So other than that just loving my Z!

and njzx3, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck finding what you want ...
  • Options
    powerslidepowerslide Member Posts: 48
    What did he have to say about synthetic oil? Like miles before switching from regular, miles to keep in factory oil and miles between changes.
  • Options
    rgarnerrgarner Member Posts: 37
    Well friends, got my baby back yesterday. They changed the Mass Flow Air Sensor, apparently the solution to my problem. I find it funny that the service guy I was dealing with put on the work order that my Z wouldn't start. I didn't tell him that. That was his explanation of the hestitation I was having while starting her and then not running at all. Nonetheless, problem solved.

I still feel like something is not right, but like my father says, it's probably all in my head. I do have the hesitation in my engine as well, as many of us do. Also, I have this slight noise "sounds like a diesel" when I'm accelerating in 1st and 2nd before 2500 RPM's. Not loud and doesn't sound like a grinding, more like a rattle. And I think it's in the trans. It may just be part of the way the engine sounds. Anyone else had this problem?

Also, seems like the engine doesn't run that smoothly, and the tac gauge jumps a little when coming back down to an idle. This isn't very noticable at all, but like I said, now I'm weary of every little noise or oddity that I see. Do engines normally get smoother as they break in?

Still like her a bunch, and I would recommend the Focus. I commend Ford for having the guts to put this kind of car on the American market, though I've always been repulsed that small, compact, functional cars are left only to the Europeans (and others). I would like to see them offer more options and models in America, but I know we're a country where size matters, hence the popularity of Ford's Excursion (what an environmental nightmare).

SO WHAT'S THIS I HEAR ABOUT REAR CRASH TEST FOR THE ZX3?
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    I can hear the same noise while accelerating in 1st and 2nd too.
    Also it rattles like a diesel during the engine warm up in the morning.
    Sounds like a widespread problem (or "feature"??)
  • Options
    As pcleveland pointed out, the NHTSA website allows you to search by make, year and model for technical service bulletins ("TSBs") issued by a manufacturer. Search, and you will find several Ford TSBs pertaining to brake noise in the Focus. Print the bulletin notices and fax them to your service advisor, and ask him/her to research them and call you with a proposed plan of action to fix your problem. Show them you aren't going to fade away; be firm, and make it clear you are determined to have this problem resolved to your satisfaction.
  • Options
    They are the ones who showed ME the service bulletins last time I was in and this is when they basically told me it's happening all over, it's normal, as long as they work ok, there's nothing they can really do.

Like I've mentioned before, the service manager did tell me he'd replace the pads at my next oil change if they were still squeaking (which I am positive they will be). So, they will do that, BUT from what I've heard the noise won't go away with all the brake dust that's accumulated behind (?) the drums. So, new padds is what they said they'd do for me, but I am afraid this won't solve the problem. The service manager said it may not, it may even be worse (but I have no idea how THAT could possibly be) and so if it doesnt do the trick...I've pretty much been told that is all they CAN do. And that, well.....sucks.

*sigh*

I tought I was done whining about this, sorry folks :)
  • Options
    bjammin2bjammin2 Member Posts: 42
    fgaydos - sorry, I didn't try following my link. After going to http://www.autobuzz.com/gallery/gallery1.cfm?eventid=203&manu
    click on Hot Import Nights, Chicago, the fifth one down on the left. Some thumbnails will pop up. Scroll down and you'll see a nice red ZX3 with an SVT 2.5L Duratec V6 neatly tucked into the engine bay:-)~

zgrrl - make sure they replace the pads with updated pads that don't produce as much dust.
  • Options
    So, has anyone had that trans. noise checked out? You know, the whine before 2500 RPM's in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd. the "diesel" sound. My trans. runs fine, but I didn't know if this was something normal or something I should have the good folks at Ford look at.
  • Options
    tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    Sorry if I missed it (I thought I read all the posts), but did they ever figure out what your problem was?
  • Options
    focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    I have it too, i dont much like it and it emulates the sound when you are lugging the motor, but the motor has enough power so I guess its just a characteristic of the car, like the break squeel, and that slight hesitation at around 2000 rpm.
  • Options
    Noisy brakes aren't normal - at least not the kind of noise you describe. Take them up on their offer of new pads. Normal shop procedure would have the technician cleaning the rotors with a solvent such as Brakleen to remove any contaminants, and cleaning and lubing the caliper slides and guide pins. Out back, the drums should be pulled and cleaned as well - they will have dust and some corrosion inside. Similarly, the now exposed brake shoes should be inspected for glazing or contamination, and be cleaned/scuffed/replaced as required. Scored rotors or drums should be trued up on a lathe, but the dealer will probably balk at doing that unless you want to pay. You don't have to skim the rotors, but installing new pads with old rotors will require extra time for break-in, and MAY result in some brake noise (this is what your service person was warning you about). Good luck.
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Silver Bullet,

I suspect that the oil has run down the side of the engine while they were removing the oil filter. Still, I can't see anything. Of course, I haven't crawled under the car and looked. It is far too cramped to get underneath. I only recently found the oil filter. I just shutter at the thought of always having an oil smell after I get an oil change on my car. The horizontal filter location is not 'ideal.'

Zgrrl: You can complain as much as you like in this forum. I am hopeful that the brake pad change will eliminate the sound. It should not be present. Do you sense any pulsing from your brakes or is it only squealing.

I have heard from time to time a rattly noise from the engine as others have experienced. It seems more like an engineering trade off at the designing stage. As the rpm builds the engine is strong. No one said we bought a Honda. I am not saying it is acceptable, but I do not think it is a manufacturing flaw, but a zetec trait.

My zetec engine is made in the USA. Where is your zetec made?

ND
  • Options
    jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    rgarner - The sound you describe is a classic description of pre-ignition. It's typically described as "pinging." Some say it sounds like there are marbles rattling in the cylinders.

Your air flow sensor problem made the engine run rich. This likely caused some extra carbon build up in the cylinders. Carbon build up will often cause pre-ignition problems.

You might want to run one grade higher octane gas for a while to see if that stops the noise. Over time the carbon should burn out and you can try returning to the regular gas.

Excessive pre-ignition can be bad for your engine. From your description I wouldn't say it's excessive, but I would try to get it under control. Excessive would be very loud and doing it frequently, rather then just occasionally on acceleration.

< I have this slight noise "sounds like a diesel"
    < when I'm accelerating in 1st and 2nd before 2500
    < RPM's. Not loud and doesn't sound like a
    < ginding, more like a rattle.
  • Options
    I agree with jwkessler1. If you hear the noise only when the engine is under a load (and not lightly loaded, just cruising down the road), it is even more likely to be pre-ignition. As an experiment, try adding a large bottle of Techron (made by Chevron, and available at an auto parts store) when you get your next fill-up. Add the Techron, then fill the tank. Drive the car and don't add any more fuel until you've run the Techron-laced tank almost empty. See if you notice an improvement. If carbon deposits are causing the pinging, this will probably do the trick.
  • Options
    I think this noise has nothing to do with the engine. It sounds like a transaxle noise. Upon the startup it is very noticeable in my car.
    It immediatly goes away when I press the clutch pedal.
    I've experienced all the kinds of pinging and noking in my old car.
    This noise is completely different.
    The best description would be diesel rattle.
  • Options
    ND-

If I have any problems I will surely bring them up. I think we'd that's the whole purpose of this board...sharing and problem solving. I've learned more about oil etc than I ever thought I would. It's necessary especially with a new model. I do know SOME things about car care but it'll be YEARS before I catch up with ND and silver bullet ;)
    Before maybe I would have taken it at face value that the dealer says the noise is normal, it must be normal...etc. Now I know better, and anyone else who wanders here does too.

Funny thing: I work for a fairly large company in the Chicago burbs, they've just hired another person (who I have not met yet) who drives a CD silver ZX3 just like mine...I came back from lunch and he had park right in front of me so the cars were facing each other mirrored like. Sort of a surreal look in the sea of Civics and Corollas out there.

Funny story: I've never owned a new car before and I am TERRIFIED of parking lots. So, yes, I am one of those people who parks miles away. Took a friend to lunch the other day, parked WAY in back of the lot...my friend in mock serious, he looked at me and asked when the shuttle bus was coming to take us to the restaurant. I told him this way we'd walk off the meal on our way back.

Ok, guess you had to be there.

Anyway, thanks guys....as usuall you ROCK>
  • Options
    bjammin2bjammin2 Member Posts: 42
    Hey, guys and gals. So does everyone think it's transmission noise? I mentioned industrial diesel noise way back this winter when I got my Z. I think it's tranny noise too, but it sounds so much like the engine is being lugged. I play it safe and try not accelerate too hard at these lower rpm's. Anyone else agree with this behavior, or should I go ahead and not worry about being easy on the gas?
  • Options
    I've got a better story than that, zgrrrl.

I got a free parking spot in Downtown Seattle one day, and I was very excited. I left my car there all day, didn't leave for lunch...nothing.

Anyway, after work I was walking to my car and I was reading a brochure I had. I stopped in front of what I thought was my car and looked up from my reading. Lo and behold, two identical Silver ZX3s...side by side. Mine was spotless inside, so was the other. I'd only had my plates for two days, so I couldn't remember my number. In short, I couldn't tell them apart. I didn't want to stand there too long, so it occurred to me that I should just punch the old panic button. Sure enough, my baby started a-squealin'...

Glad to know those things come in handy.
  • Options
    *togneter* My problem was the Mass Air Flow Sensor, replaced and fixed (I hope).

The noise I'm referring to is most definitely in the trans. It could be in the engine, but it sounds like trans. noise. I don't think it's pinging...who knows, I've heard it several times, but I can't pinpoint it. When I heard for the first time I thought there was something loose in the engine(battery cover, etc.). So that's what it sounds like. You guys still think it's the pinging?
  • Options
    fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    OK, I need to clean my inside front windshield and always manage to really smear it around.
    Any secrets for getting a good streak free cleaning so I won't see halo's all night driving?
  • Options
    pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Is this with manual or auto. Are you sure it's not the air injection? I'll have to take a ride with radio and a/c off and see what I can hear! - Cause I'm not sure what noise your talking about.
    Pat
  • Options
    I got a funny noise when I'm coasting down grade at about 25/30 mph. Have the automatic. The RPM's drop way down when not accelorating. Not like the standard. We have a underpass on Main St. It has concrete walls on both sides. Can hear a like ticking/whirling noise associated with speed when approaching downgrade to underpass. Nothing I've ever heard on any other vehicle. It's nothing that sounds serious, just weird and strange.

Anybody have any ideas.

Pat
  • Options
    We are talking about the manual transaxle.
    MTX - 75? The same one as in the Contour?
    If this is correct, I am not surprised.
    Went to the Contour board: lots of tranny problems.
  • Options
    jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    rgarner - Running it with one tank of higher octane gas, or following silver_bullet's Techron suggestion are cheap and harmless tests. Give it a try and see if there is a difference.

And yes, if you suspect the transmission it would be good to specify which you have.
  • Options
    But they can be pinpointed. Try to find a shop in your area that has a "rolling road" chassis dyno that allows the car to simulate actual driving conditions while stationary. A technician can use a sound probe to narrow down the source of the noise. The dyno can be set to place a load on the engine while the car "drives" on the rollers, and load induced pinging is very obvious when you're standing next to the car with the hood up! You'll do a lot of guessing without the right sort of diagnostic procedure.
  • Options
    zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    Power/S: You picked up on my remark that I want to use synthetic oil in my 5-speed transmission.
    Reason: It might make tranny smoother, quieter, give better gas mileage.
    (This would certainly be a big "plus" for all of us Z owners).
    You asked me how I made out.

The only info I have so far is that our Z has two 5-spd transmissions. One model uses conventional oil, the other uses synthetic.
    I don't know which model I have.

Someone told me, "Even if you put car on lift and identify which Model tranny you have --- you will still have to look in Ford's computer database to find out which one is using synthetic oil."

To add to the confusion.... the tranny Model that uses conventional oil --- I suspect it might also be able to use synthetic. (Maybe Ford just didn't put the more expensive synthetic in it, at the factory).

Anyone able to help here?
    If we Z owners switch to synthetic oil for our trannys, they might become smoother, quieter, give better gas mileage. Also might end any "noisy tranny" complaints. No? / Yes?
    zx3
  • Options
    Looks like a new recall is coming (a rumor so far)
    This time for the clutch master cylinder: loose of pressure and difficulties in operating.
    Anybody having problems with engaging/disengaging the clutch?
  • Options
    stevehoutxstevehoutx Member Posts: 8
    gabegarwick:

I wasn't the one who posted about the armrest (I remember the post you're talking about), but I had one installed yesterday. Here's a summary of my experience:
    o total cost was $550 installed
    o as part of my original purchase, I ordered the parts for the armrest in a 4-door Focus - the parts have to be ordered as several individual parts, and end up replacing the entire center console
    o the last part arrived about a month after my ZX3
    o my dealer had the parts installed by their trim contractor, as that worked out to be cheaper than having the body shop do it

Hope that's helpful.
  • Options
    Redline MTL has been a favorite for years in BMW club circles. Generally speaking, any manual transmission or transaxle that specifies a GL-4 or ATF lubricant can use (and benefit) from MTL. You experience smoother shifting, more stable lubricant viscosity, lower temps, and often quieter running. Any downside? It often seems that synthetic lubes sneak past seals a bit easier than petroleum based lubes, so some small amount of seepage is common - at least in the ZF and Getrag 'boxes used by BMW. Maybe not an issue with the MTX75 in the Focus. I'm giving some thought to switching -- but my 5-speed is smooth and quiet as is. Maybe "if it ain't broke, I shouldn't fix it".
  • Options
    avm00avm00 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have information when the 2001 will be generally available?

What is the general time frame of new year intro and the introduction of heavy past year rebates?

Do you think there will be any incentives for the remaining 2000 ZX3?

Is the yellow color only available for 2000?

Any sites for aftermarket accessories?

Drove one today for the 1st time... great fun car!Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    To get your windsheild spotless, get some windex and apply it when the window is in the shade and not hot. When you apply it in direct sunlight, you get those streaks. they also appear when you touch the window with your greasy hands. Just good ol windex and paper towels will do the trick.
  • Options
    njzx3njzx3 Member Posts: 170
    well, I went and spoke to my salesman today... he gave me the normal.. "ooooh.. i have no idea why it's taking so long... gee, i'll move your file to higher priority" which means absolutely nothing to me... "high priority" or not, it still isnt bein built fer at least another month...

he said he would start callin around to other dealerships and see what he could find, but I'm not going to settle for less than what I ordered, so I may end up sittin around in Dirty Jersey til about mid september just to get the Z that i ordered, but afterall, she'll be my baby, and will definately be worth the wait
  • Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    avm00 - go to www.kbb.com for 2001 pricing +
    availability. aftermarket asccessories. go to
    www.focussport.com i doubt very seriously if any
    incentives will be available.i would be surprised
    if there were any leftovers of zx3,too much demand
    presently.yellow is a color option that will be available for 2001 as well.im sure others here will
    post other aftermarket sites as well.good luck
    with your search for a new z.
  • Options
    another site for focus aftermarket is:

http://www.Focusparts.com/
  • Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    njzx3- since you have to wait longer,are you able to place an order for a 2001 model? given that
    your closer to that model year it may be a better deal for you.given that by the time you get your 2000 model it will be considered a year old
    just shortly after its delivered.
  • Options
    silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    i have seen the armrest in the Focus accessory catalog. The price for the parts was $85. It is part #54045A36. Then your dealer will have to decide how much it is to put it in.
  • Options
    sjcosjco Member Posts: 1
    Took my Focus in to dealer with broken clutch pedal return spring. They said clutch master cylinder needs to be replaced. Part is on nationwide back order. No scheduled delivery date. No official word of a recall, though. Hmmm!

Service department said it was OK to drive as is.
    Any thoughts??

Neat car, kick to drive, my son and I fight over the keys. He usually wins, he's bigger (but not meaner) and he's making the payments.
  • Options
    drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    As I had posted the other day , I am having stick/clutch problems. After reversing I have a problem putting the stick in first gear. This just started happening this past week. Are you serious about a recall on this? Is it posted on the owner connection site?
  • Options
    tr4racertr4racer Member Posts: 5
    I too am having clutch problems. Most of the time the gear changes are smooth and precise. However, every now and then it seems to miss a downshift - even with double clutching. Also the gearbox locks up when I use reverse.

Other than that the car is great! I still need to put in braided brake lines and a set of good front pads.
  • Options
    stanky73stanky73 Member Posts: 14
    I have this noise as well. Very very noticeable between 1000 and 2500 rpms in mostly all gears (more so in 1, 2, & 3) on my zx3 with manual trans. It really does sound like a diesel until the rpms get up there. Like rat-tat-tat-tat. Sounds like two pieces of metal rattling. I also experience the hesitation noted earlier at lower rpms in lower gears. I had the dealer look into both and found nothing wrong. They said it didn't hesitate and the Focus engine is just plain old loud. Too bad cause it really detracts from the overall feel of the car when you hear this noise. Does not impress onlookers for sure. Ha! That was a joke, please don't jump on me for being so shallow minded that I would even consider what others think of my vehicle :-)

Joe
    stanky73@peoplepc.com
  • Options
    vparker1vparker1 Member Posts: 1
    I do not see anyone discussing how a zx3 performs in hill and mountain driving. Most of posting seem to be postive. I looking at buying one but would like to hear from someone.
  • Options
    *stanky73* So, the Ford folks said the engine is just plain loud. Is that a technical term . What can you say when the Ford tech. Gods have found nothing wrong? I hope we find out what this is someday, and it isn't serious.

I have the man. trans.

Just passed 500 miles last night. Never thought this would be a milestone. The engine has cleared up a bunch with the new sensor. Still love my girl, I just hope she stays trouble free for my long awaited vacation in two weeks...
  • Options
    I've taken my Z over th Cascades a couple of time with no problems. The cars pulss up the hill just fine, and a simple drop into fourth gives me plenty of torque to pass/accellerate.

I did this once with a pasenger and a trunk full of ten boxes of books, so I think it fared pretty well. Also, we have plenty of hills in downtown Seattle, and the car's fine there, too. Just gotta keep it in the right gear. =]
  • Options
    zx3beast:

Honestly, It is not worth it for me to order 2001. assuming that im having enough trouble without a car now waiting for my Z to come in the beginning of september, there is no way I could wait until the 001 Z's come out... I just look at it this way, YES it sucks that i have to wait this long to get my car, and yes it's truly screwing up my plans to get back to school, but on the bright side, i have a little extra time to save my checks to start payin off my baby when it finally arrives.

thats my thought on that, now correct me if im wrong, but i didnt think the 001 Z's were hittin production for another few months or so? now if I could order an 001 Z and get it around the same time as my 00 Z that I ordered I will do it, but I cant wait several more months for it

<njzx3- since you have to wait longer,are you able
    <to place an order for a 2001 model? given that
    <your closer to that model year it may be a better
    <deal for you.given that by the time you get your
    <2000 model it will be considered a year old
    <just shortly after its delivered.
  • Options
    For those of you having clutch/shifting problems, or for those who have this "rattling", diesel-like noise: what month/year was your car built? Look at your window sticker or VIN sticker on the driver's doorjamb, and let us know.
  • Options
    Build date: last week of may

Problems: rattling and engine hesitation.
  • Options
    Build Date: August 8th

Problems: Depends on how much tequila our friendly mexican Ford workers drink the night before

=)
  • Options
    drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    I believe mine was built in oct 99. I have that diesel sound and remember that it made that sound since day one. Plus this new clutch problem that just developed. I have an appointment on Monday.
  • Options
    I wonder if the "diesel sound" your talking about might be the air intake. The zetec air injection intake is very loud and tuned through a resinator box. Or are you talking about a sound like marbles rattling inside motor? I drive a tractor trailer every day with a Cummings diesel and hear no comparsion.

Mountain driving: Can't say anything about western mountains. But as far as the Alleghany's and Blue Ridge go, the ZX3 is a pleasure to drive, even with the automatic. Lots of pep and handles the turns extremely well. I found it a joy to drive in the "hills" of Pennsylvina, western Virgina, West Virgina and Maryland.

Pat
This discussion has been closed.