Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Remote Key Problems

mkunzemkunze Posts: 29
edited April 2014 in Chrysler
My newer 2008 T&C has the fat key with the remote start, door opener, hatch opener etc. The dog chewed the key and it worked for a while but stopped working today. The ignition says "Damaged Key" and won't start.

Last time I checked with Chrysler they told me a new key was $260.00. I asked if I could get one that just started the car and didn't have all the features - to use as a backup but the salesmen never seem to know anythign about this and never get back to me. Do I have any options other than shelling out $260.00 for a stupid key?

Comments

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Can't you get a valet key for it?
  • mkunzemkunze Posts: 29
    The valet key won't start the ignition.
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a valet key? I mean, if it can't work the ignition, what good is it to the guy parking your van?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,604
    It's a anti-valet key: Doesn't work in the ignition, but it will open your trunk and glove box. :P
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    The vehicle should have been delivered with two keys. Why not just use the spare? I know you wouldn't have a backup but I never have used mine in 2 years. It just sits, hidden away in the secret compartment somewhere in my house.
    Now why didn't I think of that!!! :sick:
This discussion has been closed.