Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part XI

Comments

• Options
    razor5razor5 Member Posts: 27
    I've noticed that it's difficult to get back into first gear after being in reverse. I've adjusted my seat location to make sure I'm not back to far. Kept an eye on the clutch, but still have problem. Anyone else?
    Was just passed by a screaming yellow ZX3, being driven by someone's grandmother. That sister was flying. It's sharp, very sharp. The red tail light look fabo against the yellow and all the black trim pops right out. Has a totally different look than my pitch black....but I still
    love my ZX3.
    Anyone seen the new StreetKa, Ka convertible? AWSOME....look out Audi TT.
  • Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    i also have a pitch black,the description you gave
    the yellow z is right on the money.it has to be
    the best looking car in yellow since the vette.it
    is really that fine.if the z is available in a turbo version + yellow,im buying.
    jwkessler1- when do you take delivery?
  • Options
    davesfocusdavesfocus Member Posts: 7
    For the poll, I've got an Infra Red automatic ZX3. I'm at the 9,200 mile mark, having received the car in a frozen Minnesota February.

I've been most pleased. My brakes don't squeal, my gas gauge is fine, my engine doesn't stumble. Hope I still read these posts! Ha Ha!

Oh, drebe73 and ZX3beast and I have one thing in common: our ignition key cylinder doesn't always 'register' our key being removed from the ignition. My ignition beeps as though I've left the lights on or something, but if I pull the key out while maintaining a little twisting torque on the key...the buzzer will stay quiet. It's an intermittent problem in any event.

In half a year, and 9,200 miles, I've had no driveline problems. It took 3 months to get a missing-when-the-car-was-delivered trim piece installed, but it finally was. A selling point for me for the Focus was the vertically adjustable seat. As a 5'5" guy, I cranked the seat all the way up, and left it there. Has anyone else noticed that the windshield "A" pillar is thick, and vision blocking? Also, I'm still not used to the reverse operating, and low mounted, window crank. Wish I had electric.

Like most of us, I've found this ZX3 Conference board to be informative and fun. I suspect that most of us occasionally peek at the ZX3 vs. Civic hatchback forum. What a difference in tone!
    Let's stay nice out there!
    Dave
  • Options
    my problem with key cyliner has recently ceased on
    its own.on the zx3 vs.civic hatchback forum,that is
    where one finds the behind of the honda sheep.they
    cant pull the wool over the z owner.we still focus
    quite well.......baaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • Options
    jimmyfocuszx3jimmyfocuszx3 Member Posts: 65
    The KA roadster is pretty sweet, they however, are not sure if they will build it and it wont have the hp of the Audi TT, sorry. And the 1993 Ford Ranger Splash 4x2 looked better in screaming yellow than the `vette or [hate to say ] either of the ZX twins.... The ZX3 is a very close second though.

Jimmy
  • Options
    towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    It's been awhile since visiting the forum, so my questions may sound "dumb"...

Wife took delivery of the ZX3 a month ago... High on her wish list are a sunroof and mudflaps (not necessarily in that order).

Anyone had an aftermarket roof installed? If so, what brand? Experiences, good or bad???

As for the flaps, I'm supposing the factory offers something... Any input will be appreciated.
  • Options
    sven100sven100 Member Posts: 2
    I'm ready to purchase an '01 but I'd like to see the new 16" aluminum wheels (incl. with premium group for 2001) before deciding on color. Dealers say they don't have that info yet, and suggested I check the car mags, but I still haven't found a picture of the new wheels. The Kona wheels from 2000 are 6 spoke, but don't know if those are the correct wheels for '01. Sounds picky, I know, but I plan to keep this car for a while. Too bad I can't get Autumn Orange ZX3 with last year's ZTS wheels--that's quite a sexy coupling, IMO (A. Orange not offered for '01). Can anybody tell me where I can see a pic of these '01 wheels before ordering? Thanks.
  • Options
    pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    drebe73,
    Its more of a clamp type system. Uses set screws to close clamp. Clear vinyl stick on protectors each place where clamp touches hood. Very user friendly system, while maintaining security and protecting finish of vehicle. Easy to remove after installation for waxing or cleaning.
  • Options
    zx3man1zx3man1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a link that will show invoice cost for the 2001 ZX3 and all of its options. I am new to this board and am looking to get a 2001 ZX3, and could use your help to get the best possible price.

Thanks,
    J
  • Options
    drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    thanks for the info PC, and Dave I am not having that problem with the key that you speak of. I washed and waxed my car this weekend and noticed that my third break light is cracked near the wash nozzle. Purchased a California dash duster today, works great, picked up all the dust and lint that stands out on my dark charcoal dash. Oh and the Meguiar's gold car wash soap is working well for me, smells great and helps resist dirt.
  • Options
    zx3man1 -you can find it right here at edmunds
    go to www.edmunds.com click on new cars,then
    ford then scroll down for focus zx3 2001 prices.
  • Options
    zx3man1zx3man1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks ZX3beast. I found this information to be very useful.

Thanks Again,
    J
  • Options
    kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    What can they mean by "Lots of suspension movement" as one of the cons in 2001 Focus?
  • Options
    jnicholajnichola Member Posts: 3
    Thinkin of orderin a 2001 model zx3, and i was eoondering about the premium package . is there a website that lists all of the options for the 2001 YM with packages etc ?
  • Options
    actually,i find the z suspension to be one of its
    strengths.especially,when maneuvering out of the swamp.seriously, i didnt understand where edmunds
    was coming on that one.i like the way the z soaks
    up bumps and irregular road surfaces.it handles great in wet weather as well.flat,hilly,twist+turns
    it performs exemplary.for my ride,i count the z suspension as a plus.
  • Options
    you can find info at www.kbb.com as well as here
    at edmunds.
  • Options
    I am sorry to say that the chances of SVT building a ZX3 w/ auto are pretty slim. I am thinking they are going to build a ZTS with 5 speed simply because the Contour [the biggest SVT seller] is no longer being made and they need to replace it. To my knowledge SVT has only built two auto's [the Lightning in 93 and 00] and that is because all the tranny's strong enough for all the power were geared for commercial truck duties and not acceleration.
    As a fellow Pennsylvania ZX3 owner, I also lose the balance the suspension is able to make between ride control and road feedback and comfort.

Jimmy =)
  • Options
    That should say "I LOVE the balance...." not "Lose", that is why spellcheckers are evil.

Jimmy
  • Options
    Focus have stiff and stable suspension,so what is wrong with it?
    Volvo is considering building a new hatchback based on great suspension from focus!
    Car that inexpensive must have some "cons".
    I think in case of focus it's not the suspension, but the gear ratios that could have been adjusted from autobahn's standards to North American's reality.
    We don't have to drive it 115mph. and still have power in it, much rather we would prefer to use some more kick at the start,and don't have that kick at 115mph!
    Focus is begging for more kick at the start!
    Anyway, I went for convenient automatic over the responsive manual.
    I've heard that Superchip programmed for automatic can make a substantial difference in acceleration, so why Ford can't install it, and do it right in the first place?
    Some of you here are real experts, (silverbullet,etc),am I making sense here?
  • Options
    i agree with you,it is stiff + stable.perhaps they
    are making reference to the tall roofline and raised seating and the sensation one may encounter
    in turns + curves.im satisfied with manual per-
    formance and acceleration. ive driven the auto,
    pretty decent get-up + go.maybe,40 more horsies
    would give you a little more oomph.im waiting on turbo version or new ford engine, rumor has it in
    2002.wait and see, still enjoying the ride otherwise.lets not forget,the engine performance as is,not too shabby for what the car was intended to be at its price point.i find it difficult to air any complaints about it, given what i paid for it.
    consider + compare what came before it and what the future has in store.would you be willing to spend
    another 3500 to 5000 for a tweaked-out focus? i
    could never see ford introducing an 18,000 to 20000
    hatchback here from the beginning.they had to cap-
    ture a new market share first.now that they have been successful,the new models will be forthcoming.
  • Options
    I don't want to get too picky, but when you get such a great car for relatively so little, you just wonder why not make some "no-brainer" changes to make it even better.
    Superchip addition could be one of those.
    If there is a slot for it in the car's computer why not make it a factory build-in option?
    My understanding is that if we would install chip on our own it would void the warranty, what sucks.
    Some people are complaining that they do not like the focus because it looks lifted, why can't we get the option of focus looking like the European version?
    Those kind of changes would not cost a lot, but could make our focus even more versatile.
    Very often the great products are "not polished all the way", little tweaking here and there can make substantial difference at the end.
  • Options
    Let's move on to the next part of our topic.
  • Options
    being a first year model here,its all about the
    evolving process.there will be something to trade
    up to.there has been references made to the zx3,
    comparing it to the sensation the mustang caused in
    the 60's.there will be performance-oriented versions of the zx3.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    A change in the final drive ratio would be an easy way for Ford to make the ZX3 really scoot at lower speeds, but they will never do it - thanks to the need for high fuel economy numbers. As we know, the Focus isn't exactly a gas miser as it is, and installing a numerically higher final drive ratio (say, a 4.10:1) would result in more revs per mile = lower mpg.
    Same with the Superchip. Engine tuning is a balancing act, and the mfg. has to take into account variations in fuel quality and "human nature" - most folks buying less expensive cars do so so a reason, and that's money. Expecting every buyer of the Focus to use preminm fuel (generally required by performance chips) isn't a wise move. Ford is smart to leave mods like this to the aftermarket.
  • Options
    ... I meant to say "do so for a reason"
  • Options
    brettzx3brettzx3 Member Posts: 28
    YO! ZX3beast, what happened indeed!? As I sit here and watch it rain it reminds me of the weekend. Yuck! Hope it didn't spoil your weekend.

BTW, Automatic transmission (5sp sounds fun, but I don't know how).
  • Options
    tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    count me in for a manual shift! I prefer them, AND they are cheaper. Did have to order mine. THe dealers will always try to talk you into an auto, even if you are ordering. It isn't even for the extra $, I think, it is because it is easier to sell, or resell, an automatic than a stick. 100% of drivers are able to drive an auto, and ONLY stick drivers can drive a stick. So much easier for them to sell the autos, of course.

You all are killing me with this talk of the yellow, which I wanted so badly! I got autumn orange, anyone know why it is not offered anymore? Well, at least now I can consider mine a "limited addition!"
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147

I meant to post this earlier when y'all were talking about the yellow Z and how it really gives the car a different look. But what I've noticed is that with each different color the Z comes in, to me, they all look like completely different cars.

The silver ZX3 looks much different that the midnight blue and black ZX3 and the white one looks much different from those (haven't seen a Kona on the road) but the zinc yellow ZX3 I sitting at the dealer every day (not sure why it hasn't sold yet - it's a loaded 5spd and VERY cool) is a totally different animal all unto itself.

I think it does have to do with what the different colors kind of contour - and believe it or not, the placement of the brake lights. Maybe it's just me...

and njzx3 re: counting Focus to kill boredom. I was going to do that on my road trip from Chicago to Minneapolis but only say ONE (1!) sedan on the road and TWO ( 2!) sedans the entire time spent in the twin cities. To tell you the truth I have seen a total of 2 other ZX3's. One was parked on the north side of chicago...and the other one (I am afraid to say) was filled with teenagers going to the 'N SYNC concert (no lie).

• Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    tickbitty,
    this color is not popular.

Stiff suspension? Not at all.
    Stable? Yes. Not stiff.
    The car has lots of suspension movement, which is not a bad thing. It contributes to a very comfortable ride. The U.S. Focus suspension was tuned for the american tastes. The european one is much stiffer. The european tires on other hand are softer than the stock american ones. Handling is king out there, while the americans are more concerned about longevity of the tires.
  • Options
    Thanks for the gear ratio explanation.
    I would not mind doing 20 mpg and at the same time accelerating in 7 seconds from 0-60.
    I guess Ford can't make everybody happy, and like always in live it's all about compromise and balance.
    The Superchip.
    It is also changing the shift points in the automatics, making them more responsive and sporty.
    I would like to have the convenience of the automatic and still get a decent kick at the start(still looking for a perfect world), superchip can make a significant improvement in that area.
    So I'm frustrated, why Ford could not set the shift points in a more performance oriented way? Could it affect fuel economy again?
    Maybe I'm expecting too much from that car, well it's so much better than many other cheap cars!
  • Options
    tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    orangey colors actually seemed to be getting MORE popular. I'm seeing lots of orangey trucks and neons lately. Guess I don't care, I like it pretty well on the car (although it does clash a bit with the tail lights), and I'm not one to care if something is trendy or not. sure would have liked yellow though.
  • Options
    towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    For what it's worth, I did some product training on Ford cars for 2000... And in fact, the Focus Control Blade Multi-Link rear suspension setup is a VERY strong selling point.

Part of is the design of the control arms and springs. They allow plenty of travel, yet don't intrude on passenger or cargo room. And the control blades themselves help front-to-rear stability... minimizing rear end lift while braking (a common problem with FWD vehicles).

Now then... Has ANYONE had a sunroof installed in their ZX3??? Any recommendations or suggestions on aftermarket manufacturers?
  • Options
    jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    I took my week-old Zinc Yellow ZX3 on it's first road trip this past Saturday (Aug 12th) and of course ended up with a bunch (70) of pictures. For those who think zinc is neat, check it out. Note that this isn't strictly a Focus page. I intend to make this a history of my zinker and show it on it's many trips, so you will get some Focus stuff and a bit of a travelogue. I intend to include driving experiences and problems here. Expect this page to be updated frequently.

http://www.geocities.com/videocrazies/
  • Options
    gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    drebe73,
    Yes, the deflectors on my car are the kind that fit into the window channel (you think I'm going to put adhesive on my car?) :) Got mine from MacNeil auto www.macneilauto.com Around $55 or so...
    I wil put the pics in the following post (hidden) and title it appropriately...

cheers,
    Gabe
  • Options
    trevatreva Member Posts: 39
    I dunno what the latest tally is on the Manual vs. Auto list, but you can chalk me up for the auto. I'm thinking this makes the list pretty darn even. Most interesting.
    Btw, I was looking for a manual initially, but as most of you have found, there just weren't many around in May/June (with the options I wanted). I checked the whole of the SF Bay area but no luck - order only. In the end, I was very happy with the auto; it's a great choice for the nightmare Silicon Valley commute.
    As for color, mine's a green one. I'm quite taken by the matching of the red tail lights and the orange side flashers with the green; something about that color combo.
    Have hardly seen any zx3's around the Bay Area. I'm feeling unique around these parts ! Where are you all ?
    treva
  • Options
    some people at the other forum have this problem too.
    The dealer was unable to fix it.
    Now there is a rumor that Ford is preparing a recall (or service bulletin?).
    Also there is that guy from Finland having the same problem with his european Focus.
    And the stumble/hesitation problem's resurfaced again.
    Check it out:

http://www.discussion-board.com/clubfocus/

and go to "problems and complaints"
  • Options
    tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    Auto: 13

Manual: 11
  • Options
    Thanks for the info gabe. Hey does anyone else who has a manual have an infrequent problem when shifting in reverse? Very few times I will be in a parking space ready to back out, ill shift into reverse and it will not be engaged, just start screaming. It feels like the stick is all the way back but i guess if its slightly up, then it wont engage, I just hope I dont cause any damage.
    Oh and the manual issue, I just want to say that I had no clue how to drive stick when I bought my ZX3, I didnt even get to test drive it, I test drove an automatic sedan. That night my very patient friend gave me about an hour and a half lesson and that's all I needed. I get better as time passes. My point is that you should never let the fact that you dont know how to do something hold you back in life. Its never too late to learn something new.
  • Options
    Drebe--

Very well said. I still think that you shouldn't be able to get a license without passing a 5-speed proficiency test, but that's just me. I digress...I think that wanting to get a stick, but not knowing how to drive one should be reason to LEARN, not reason to buy an automatic.

Also, as far as going into reverse. If the gears have been engaged going forward, you often have to use slightly more force to engage the reverse gear. Just make sure it's really in there. I haven't had this problem, but I know for sure when my gear in engaged and not engaged, so that could be part of it. Just make sure it's really back there. If it's still hard, shift into first and then into reverse (it sorta sets the gears in a different place. I once had a car with a chipped reverse gear, and I had to do this all the time. It even helps to rols forward and inch or two, then go to reverse.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ...I meant "roll."
  • Options
    guyindaskyguyindasky Member Posts: 28
    Which dealer has this zinc ZX3 you speak of???...Sounds tempting.
  • Options
    Drebe, togneter nailed it - shift into a forward gear briefly before attempting to engage reverse. You'll stop the rotation of the gearbox shats and be able to go into reverse cleanly.

Add another manual vote for my fiancee's ZX3 - she got a 5 speed like mine :)
  • Options
    ... I meant "shafts", specifically the gearbox countershaft.
  • Options
    superf22superf22 Member Posts: 54
    I'm also about to get a sunroof installed. a local shop here installs flip-up's $250 or so, and power sunroofs for $470. they've been around for a long time, so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

talking about manual trans issues. I really don't find it hard to shift into reverse but into 1st gear. it takes more pushing than the other gears, and it's significantly harder than other cars. I no longer downshift into first. I wonder if switching to syn. oil (for the tranny of course) will make it smoother. does anyone else with a manual trans. feel a significant difference with engaging the first gear?

I'm not listing this as a complain nor a problem, but I was used to something different and kind of miss it.

gotta go drive...
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    guyindaske -
    The dealer is in Plainfield, IL. Baker something or another. It has "the kit" (yeah, I don't know) installed to (I think)...

I forget the sales guy's name but he was great (didnt get my car there but looked there)

Probably far far away.....
  • Options
    uthemanutheman Member Posts: 18
    Auto for me. And not because I had to. The dealer I went to had both in stock. The only thing I will have a manual in is a motorcycle or a true sports car (911).
  • Options
    In my case it's the third gear that feels notchier than the rest.
    The first gear in general reguires more of effort to engage smoothly in every car. In my car it behaves the same is in other cars.
  • Options
    And I do plan to switch to synth. gear oil.
    Have you seen the man. tranny?
    It doesn't have a drain plug.
    Just the fill one on the side of it.
    Any idea how to drain it?
    Or no choice but to use a pump to suck oil out?
  • Options
    autos: 14

manuals: 12

As far as downshifting into first...you really shouldn't unless you're at a complete stop (or at least very near one).

I actually had a friend tell me that he though it was much easier to do this in my Z than in his car, so I guess i's subjective.
  • Options
    I am very happy that there is a place for we Zx3 owners to swap info. This is a great community to be a part of. It is interesting to observe how each of us have so many different styles of driving and personal preferences even though we are all driving the same car. I think it is fantastic that we are able to share experiences and are able to pass along helpful information to one another. Just wanted to send a big thanks to everyone one this board. You make owning the Focus that much better. Too bad we can't do one of those "Saturn" type gatherings, it would be cool to meet everyone and to see a parking lot filled with hundreds of ZX3's.
This discussion has been closed.