Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Yes, after 3200 miles my tranny mysteriously stopped being so ornery and now I am shifting much better. I guess different cars must require slightly different techniques and my Subie likes "easy does it". I still have that hatch squeak, I'm wondering if it's the tire pressure but weren't your tires overinflated to 44psi? Mine are just a smidge over.

No power launches for me! But I do enjoy pulling away from big honkin' SUVs at green lights.

Is your son getting the Miata? I still want one. I browsed eBay motors and it looks like you could get a '96 for $5K or so. Bidding unseen would take a leap of faith for me, but the ones for sale in the local newspaper are overpriced.

juice: does the Miata have body roll? I thought Colin mentioned his wife's car has a lot of body roll and I wasn't sure if he was joking or not. Say it ain't so!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    He was probably joking. His wife has the sport suspension, which rides very roughly compared to any Subie.

I have the base suspension, which is tolerable but still a bit stiff. My sway bars are pencil thin and so I do get some body roll, just not a whole lot.

If you are shopping, here is a history:

90-93 1.6l, 116hp, one air bag
    94-97 1.8l, 128-133hp, dual air bags, bigger brakes
    98 was an off year, there were none
    99-00 1.8l 140hp, pop-up headlights disappear
    2001 1.8l 142hp VVT but requires premium fuel

The 1.6l models got 25/30mpg, the 1.8l models got 22/27, except newer ones get a tad better.

The only ones to avoid at the early 90 models with the bad crank. Looks for low mileage, avoid musty smells (water leaks), and remember tops are expensive, even replacement windows cost $150 just for parts.

Call Mazda's 800 number with the VIN and they will tell you exactly what equipment it has. ABS is hard to find, but rear limited-slip differntials are common on better equipped models.

If you find one e-mail me and I can offer my opinion on the price. Sorry for the rant.

How is this Subaru related? Well, Mazda knows a londitudinal engine layout is best. They also mount the block behind the front axle for better weight distribution, like Subaru, and send power to the rear axle for most fun!

-juice
  • Options
    for all that great info! I'm just window shopping, to get an idea of what's out there. I'm hoping to get one next year (shooting for a '96) and I'll be sure to ask your advice then (in Miata forum of course). That was a great tip re: calling w/VIN.
  • Options
    The reason I found out is that I tried it myself. They will tell you if it's been salvaged, too. Mine wasn't, and it did turn out to have the rear LSD, which the seller didn't know. No ABS, though.

I believe Patti offered to do the same for Subies. Get the VIN and call her first if you buy used.

-juice
  • Options
    celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    ramon: Shame on you! I'm old enough to be your ma!! However, one of the kids in my son's auto class said they liked his "sister's" car. I asked, (with puffed up pride), "Well, what did you say THEN?" He said, "Nuthin." BANG! Big sock in the arm followed.

But one of his friends did chime in, "Hey stupid, that was his mom." Then one of em' asked if I wasn't really about 35. My kid says, well, not quite, my brother's 26. hmmmm...

I did get carded waaaay past everyone else my age which was disgusting then, but now I just take the "youthful" look in stride....

Lark: go to autopia.com and just do a search on topics about Klasse. I ordered from Classic products (properautocare.com), who sponsor autopia. As I said, you can layer good carnuba like Pinnacle's Souveran over the Klasse if you want the buttery look. I had read on the i-club also about a guy that had some real scratchy marks from an auto car wash that the Klasse almost completely took care of. They sounded bad. Some with light finishes don't like the Klasse because they say it darkens finishes slightly, but hey, that's why it's really good with black. I also ordered the Pinnacle Crystal Mist quick detail spray (it's carnuba spray) for touch-up after washing, before the big car meet next week. Gonna wow em'!!

Brekke: You gottta try just one power launch. It's fun to slam your head back against the headrest, at least just ONCE. Be careful though, it's addicting. Are you getting rid of your OBS for a Miata?

Brekke and Juice: The kid decided maybe a Miata would be too small with no back seat. I think it's because we threatened not to help him haul anything he tried to bring home that wouldn't fit if he bought it! And mostly he was disgusted at getting teased when telling anyone he wanted a Miata. Now he's looking to get a 1974 Porsche 911 2.4S, 5 speed. He's looking to get a job with the Porsche dealership when they come to his school to hire for internships in the spring, and has already been by there to talk with the service guys. Perhaps he can get a line on one there and fix anything that needs to be done. Then I can borrow HIS car!!
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    well, the fact that u know so much about cars than the average joe blow makes you one hot subymamma!
  • Options
    when you live with someone who eats, breathes, and talks cars every waking moment... and that person happens to be your own kid who you are with 12 hours every day... sometimes it is an inescapable torture...

It must be getting pretty cold up north, I notice alot more people making posts online. In the summer it was waaaay down.

Ramon, how are the wedding plans progressing? Did you pick out your pimpin' tux yet?
  • Options
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    celeste,

That's a little off-topic but if I use my imagination just a little bit I can see a Subaru logo on the helmet! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    no, the miata would be a second car but someone who shall remain nameless just put the kabosh on that idea (even tho I'd be paying for it myself).

I finally found the hatch squeak... *sigh* It was the rest of my trailer hitch and the Subie tools sitting atop my spare. *sigh*

I was also considering the extended warranty...I got an offer in the mail from Subaru for 6yr/60000mi for $560. I was thinking of calling my dealer and seeing if they could knock off some of that price.
  • Options
    This morning on the way to work I saw a Mercedes S55 AMG. I tried to peek at the driver but all I saw was long blonde hair. The license plate: MONEYMKR.

I checked the price just now and it retails for $100,145, stripped.
    5.5L V8 355hp, 391 lbs-ft. torque. Yee-haw!
  • Options
    There is something about older women, though. I don't know if it's the character, smarts, whatever, but I married one. :-)

There is an incorrect stereotype that Miatas are girl cars, but actually most owners are men, and middle-aged men at that. It's a mid-life crisis car, really. The Cabrio has many, many more female owners.

Tidester: it is on topic. You can see the symmetrical layout of the powertrain in that mouse trap, it has a very low center of gravity, and the mouse looks like a boxer. ;-)

To make those envious feel perhaps a little better, I got to drive an S class at the M-B Power Trip event. The thing is a boat! It's huge! The OBS is way more fun. So there.

-juice
  • Options
    u're biased Juicemon. =) How can u not like an MB? hehehe....
    celeste: I have sorta an idea what I'm gonna wear but my fiancee asked me to hold off the dinner reception wear as she hasn't pick her gown/dress whatever yet. She wants us to match. Oh also we are writing our own vows. So been looking at some sample ones. God really play a BIG role in our lives so He has to be included!
  • Options
    I liked the SLK320, yes. Smaller + lighter = better. The C320 was also nice. Just avoid the 230 Kompressor engine, which is coarse and unrefined.

I can imagine your vows will go something like this: "I promise to love you, honor you, and change your oil for all the days in my life."

-juice
  • Options
    I don't see the Miata as a chick car. In fact, I think their drivers are savvy people who don't care what others think. Same as Scooby owners!

And every time I see a Cabrio I wonder, why aren't you driving a Miata?
  • Options
    Well, the Cabrio is a bit more practical. Not much of a back seat on the VeeDub, but the Miata's front seat is tight even for me at 5'11".

But in terms of sporty feel there is no comparison.

Subaru really ought to make a drop-top. I'd like to see a roadster based on the WRX, call it the SVX. Under $30k, I'd buy one.

-juice
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Tidester: it is on topic. You can see the symmetrical layout of the powertrain in that mouse trap, it has a very low center of gravity, and the mouse looks like a boxer. ;-)

By golly! I think you're right! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Brekke: I think she was a call girl. MONEYMKR, as in "shake your"? I see thru that right away.

Ramon: Keeping God at the center of your marriage bond you together like super-glue! If you want to scare her tell her you found a nice blue tux with a slight sparkle, and there are yellow Subaru stars and swishes faintly visible in the fabric. Then duck!

Juice: Did you see that Photoshop someone at the i-club did of a blue WRX as a convertible? It had the low spoiler that you can have added on, and I tell you the lines of that car with the spoiler with the top down were superlative!! It was either in the General Forum or maybe Dress Up and Style, yesterday. Have a look. Your mouth will water!!!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'd guess she was a call girl too in the AMG.

-mike
  • Options
    50 bux for lapping day at Mosport DDT racetrack! it's a Subaru/Prelude club event. I am so torn! I want to go but I already mounted my snow tires.... >( Tell me what to do!!! And this saturday is calling for a pleasant 16C with sun and cloud!

she nearly flipped when I told her that I'm gonna wear an orange shirt! I was joking of course. She didn't find it too funny. Juice, if I were to wear what u said, i bet I will end up standing at the aisle by myself!
  • Options
    I'll do a search for that photo-chop-drop-top!

Remount the summer tires. Get one last hurrah. I can swap tires in half an hour, it's worth it.

-juice
  • Options
    beingmarcbeingmarc Member Posts: 6
    This tuesday I bought an 2002 WRX Wagon. I'm not an off-roader like the rest of you boys (and girls?) but I don't need dirt to appreciate that grrrreat AWD. My boss and I "raced" his s2000 *yuck* and my WRX on some windy southern california roads and while he managed to inch ahead of me on straight aways, I smoked hin on the turns. The AWD makes this car, in my opinion, the A-1 BEST when it comes to all around handeling. I can only imagine what it will be like with some after market upgrades. Speaking of which...can anyone give tell a of a good web-site on which to order Subaru parts and gear? Thanks!

Marc
  • Options
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/wholesalesubaruparts

newsubaru.com and subaruparts.com

I've only used newsubaru.com, myself. And I think the s2000 looks sweet, not Honda-like at all.
  • Options
    Beingmarc: also visit the i-club.com site. There is a wealth of information there. You can do searches on particular topics for information in past threads of which there are tons!

Ramon: Orange shirt? See why I said to duck? Whatsa matta ya wuss? Get those tires on and get goin' or else you'll kick yourself in 4 weeks when the snow is burying you.

Juice: I hope you found that photo. I spent a tried to find it but didn't have alot of time and just couldn't remember if the guy started a thread on it or just was adding to another one. A real beaut!
  • Options
    I put the Klasse All-in-One and Sealer Glaze on last Sunday and the swirls are still gone after one wash! The acrylics in this product are reported to last much longer than natural wax, from 6 months to a year. I must say it is a very hard glass shine, like hard candy, but very nice looking on the black paint. Was a hit at the i-club meet. Lots of people in the parking lot milling around looking at it.

And people got to check out my windshield tint. It was a very bright day and I had them just get in the car and close the door. They'd all come out going "Wow, that's nice!" The dash glare is just so much better than without. Grrrr I HATE dash glare...
  • Options
    Oh boy! It was fun fun fun! The day was fantastic. It was partly organized by the Honda Prelude club of Toronto. The invitation was extended to us. A few of us went. We all met up together before caravaning to the track. Was well organized. There were some who went for the car control school. Actually most of the prelude boys went to the school. So that left us to do lapping. Lots of cars showed up later. 2 Vipers, a new M3, a kit car, supercharged miata, mr2...the likes. But we totally tore up the track. Yup. The track was quite technical with 16 elevation changes. It was awesome! Of course I remounted my S-03s. They were fantastic. Pulled on Type-Rs, Vipers, Mustang GTs, MR2s all day. The type R guy who did this a few times more than me came later to ask me if I did this before. He was shocked when I told him it was my first time. Guess my Solo II experience also helped. The best was when I pulled on one of the GTS Viper. He was fast on the straights but the techincality of the track slowed him down, that's when the AWD of my lil RS really bite it's lil Viper tail. After a few laps hanging by his rear, the driver gave up and pulled to the pits to let me pass. Hahaha...
    All in all it was a good time. My poor tires are prolly half worn now. Alot of guys there were totall impressed with the Scoobies. They came and asked us how come we were so much faster, and we told him that with the off camber turns coupled with some undulations in some corners gave our cars the advantage in which we can put the power down much faster than those 2WDs. :)
  • Options
    seamus53seamus53 Member Posts: 13
    Most folks have probably read the OBS Review here on the Edmunds site. I recently came across another favorable review on "Car Connection". Although I won't be purchasing my own OBS till spring/summer 2002, it's sure nice to see all the favorable press reviews, in addition to the first-hand comments from owners on this board.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4393&sid=181&n=157

• Options
    I just realized that of all the new age Imprezas I've seen while commuting (not many, mostly WRX sedans) all were driven by guys.

I've also been seeing a proliferation of Jeep Liberties (often with women at the helm).

I kinda like those Liberties, even tho I'm not an SUV person...
  • Options
    I enjoyed that article, I think it was the best OBS review I've read so far. (Although I wish they'd review the 5-spd once in a while)
  • Options
    rachelukracheluk Member Posts: 12
    why not a fram? my oil guys do use a new subaru crush washer each time, but also a fram. i'm gonna go over and convince them to put in the subaru filter i just bought, but what's so heinous about the fram, if you don't mind telling?
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Celeste - thanks for the Klasse info. I'm considering black for my next Subie.

Ramon - That rocks! I have to find a track day.

Caroline - Most of the new age OBS owners I see are female. We even get a couple of female WRX owners at our meets in NJ.

rachel (I know that's not your name :-) ) - Frams had a reputation a few years ago of exploding, especially in boxer engines IIRC.
    IMO, you can't go wrong with the OEM filters made by Purolator.

-Dennis
  • Options
    There was a study posted at the i-club on how the filters were made. Someone took apart of bunch of different ones and compared how they were made. The fram was kinda junky. Oil is the life of your engine. Don't trust it to second-rate filters, you can order a half-dozen Subie filters at a time with the crush washers. It's just something I'm particular about.

Go to i-club.com and do a search on oil filters. You'll probably learn alot more than I just told you.
  • Options
    sounds like you're glad you put on those tires and went out after all. Looks like you guys will be getting snow soon...
  • Options
    Liberty is a nice truck. Drive one and an XTerra back-to-back, it's like night and day better than the Nissan. If that's your sort of thing.

FRAM - there was a filter study that cut these apart and they felt it was poorly built. They had photos and described the issues they had with each filter. Subaru uses Purolator and those were regarded very highly. That made me stop using FRAM, even though I'd never had a specific problem with any of them.

I love stories like ramon's. I'm sure the Viper owner felt a bit embarassed, but not as bad as the Testarossa owner that Mike Smith's instructor passed with Mike's Legacy GT station wagon! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I drove my buddy's liberty. It's ok, and has tighter handling than my Trooper, but the center hump extends 1/2 way into both the passenger feet and driver feet spots. I was totally amazed at how narrow it was and cramped it was. Missed having the AT gear selector lights on the dash, and a # of other chinsy interior items I didn't care for, just typical American car stuff. I'd take the liberty over the X-terra though.

-mike
  • Options
    For a small truck-based SUV, it would be my choice. The Troopa is mid-size, close to full-size even. But good suggestion because the price is similar.

BTW, Trooper got solid durability scores, 2nd in the SUV class according to JDPower:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/autos/0111/16/b01-345143.htm

Not too shabby.

-juice
  • Options
    mudd4mudd4 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a 2002 OBS and noticed that all other Subaru models come with the limited slip differential with the exception of the OBS. Do you need it for driving in snow? I want to buy a car that I feel confident getting around in snow. Should I look at the forester which offers the limited differential?

Thanks
  • Options
    My Forester is a 98 L model and has open differentials front and rear. It's still fantastic in the snow, so the OBS should be fine.

In fact, I think a set of snow tires would be the #1 thing to upgrade if you live in the snow belt.

-juice
  • Options
    bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    Exactly what sort of conditions are you expecting? Purely in terms of getting around, the basic AWD system in any of the Subaru's should be more than sufficient for getting around in anything but the most extreme conditions. It is certainly going to do better than any car with either FWD or RWD.
  • Options
    right now only the WRX have a rear lsd. Even the new RS does not have it anymore. Is the rear LSD good? Try getting stuck on one side of your rear wheel. ;)
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Uh, ramon, my '00 Forester S has a standard rear LSD, too. I think the 01-02s have them as well.

Ed
  • Options
    I think he meant among Imprezas, but I digress...

-juice
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    For some reason, I saved the link on the oil filter test as a favorite. I just tried it and link no longer works (page can not be displayed). However, the Fram filters clearly were garbage compared to most of the other ones. After reading the comparison, I switched back to Purolator.

Jon
  • Options
    among imprezas... otherwise i'd incldue Legacy GT too. yes yes... i'm so exclusive. ;)
  • Options
    Can someone please give some examples of big items that the OBS can carry in the cargo area (with seats down)? Just trying to see if the OBS will be sufficient for any hauling needs that I will have. My wife and I are buying a home soon and figure we will need a utility wagon for hauling stuff around. I was thinking of the OBS or the Forester L. I like the standard features of the OBS vs the Forester L (i.e. alloys, 16 inch wheels, cd player, gated shifter). I also know the forester has more cubic feet of cargo capacity. Just want to know if the OBS is good enough.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Should be, as long as you fold the seats.

Bob
  • Options
    Anything square that is both long and tall, like a clothes washer or dryer in its box (I fit one in my Forester on its side). It may fit if you left the OBS' hatch open, though.

Though you do have the roof rack, for up to 150 lbs.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    I stand corrected.

-juice
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if the OBS is a good long term investment? I plan on keeping it at least 8 years. Will it hold up? Will there be a lot maintenance costs?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.