Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    In Australia, the OBS goes by the name of Impreza RV, not sure if that model is even sold in NZ.

Bob
  • Options
    5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    Thanks, I will keep an eye out for them and if I see any interesting ones will take a few pictures. Should be fun.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Oz-spec Impreza RV:

http://subaru.com.au/explore/Impreza/exterior.asp?body=Hatch&grade=RV

I checked the Subaru NZ site, and they don't sell an OBS equivalent there.

Bob
  • Options
    deskdesk Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, Dan, the thread has been a big help.

I drive primarily on paved roads, Interstates, small town roads and winding 2-lane roads through the hills. Any off-roading I might do would be in a grassy or muddy parking lot or on a dirt or gravel road in the National Forest. Nothing that would really be considered "off road", I'm sure. I wonder if I'm savvy enough to even notice a difference between the RS and the OBS on highway, city and back roads? There are plenty of back roads around here.

I want/need the fog lights and it looks like it might be cheaper to go with the OBS where they are part of the package with the stereo and other little extras, instead of getting the RS and adding fog lights. The options, few as they are, have me bouncing back and forth.

Unfortunately, I hate the look of the spoiler on the OBS. What is a spoiler for? Does it help air flow and increase mileage? Or is it a "sporty" look that I just don't appreciate? Maybe I could have my artist daughter paint pictures of my dogs on it, or maybe I could sell the space for advertising??

I wish I could make a decision here.
    thanks for any input,

Desk
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Desk,

From the way you're describing how you'd drive, you might be happiest with the RS wagon. It's a bit sportier than the OBS on pavement. You can always add the fog lights. I bought an 05 RS wagon for my wife, and we're going to add fog lights to hers. Dealer wants the ridiculous price of about $400, so I'll do that one myself. Looks pretty easy.

I have the 04 OBS, which has no spoiler. I didn't know that they added it for 05. I don't see it in the specs at all. I don't think I've ever seen a spoiler on a wagon. How can you open the rear door? Have you seen one on the OBS wagon? Or does the one you've seen just have that little trim piece above the rear glass? I think it's designed for keeping dust, etc. off the rear glass, and really isn't a spoiler per se. That, and I thought that part was a dealer installed option.

I'm glad you've found the thread helpful. :)

-Dan-
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Sounds like he's talking about the OBS SE, which gets a standard rear wing, upgraded stereo, and a couple of other goodies. The regular OBS doesn't come with the rear wing (not to be confused with the accessory dust deflector).

I have the wing on my OBS (dealer-installed) and I think it looks good--with the two-tone paint it's not a particularly sporty-looking car to start with and I feel the wing helps--but tastes vary. If you like the OBS but don't care for the wing, look around for a base OBS without the Special Edition package. The wing is drilled into the top of the rear hatch so it isn't something they can remove easily.
  • Options
    Dan, you may be right. I drove the RS today and kind of liked it, but thought it seemed awfully small and hot (black interior on a hot day made the car seem even smaller, maybe?). I'm going to try to drive one on Friday with my husband in tow. And I'll take it on the highway instead of puttering around in a neighborhood. Maybe I'll feel better about it. The price is tempting.

Since my Forester is still in the shop and I was eyeballing a Legacy sedan and wagon, they gave me a used 2005 Legacy wagon to drive. Gosh it's big compared to the Forester and the RS. I thought it was okay, just another larger vehicle, drove fine, I could like it for my daily commute at 30 mpg, but my husband didn't care for it at all. He says he thinks of me as a smaller car person. The largest vehicle I've ever owned was an '86 Saab 900 S. I drove my husband's Toyota Tacoma king cab for a few months but traded it away for my Forester when he wasn't looking. It was a very good move.

So now I'm re-thinking the RS wagon and the Forester again. He wants to check other Makes and Models but I keep coming back to the Forester, and all the reasons I've loved it since the day I laid eyes on it. But let's give the RS another chance. I may also be just thinking old and stodgy, and that's kinda silly. I may as well have some fun on this commute. :shades:

Thanks again. And I think the spoilers were part of some kind of package. Can't remember now, and I've given up on the OBS, will reconsider the RS as I said!

Desk
  • Options
    Desk-

Have you seen the 06 Forester? Since you enjoy the one you have, if you're willing to spend the buck for the thing you'll just love it. It's what I'll likely get next year when I part ways with my 04 OBS. What a car!

That said, you'll find that the RS wagon is quite a bit of fun when you get it up to speed. Enjoy the highway test.

Let us know what you end up deciding to get.

-Dan-
  • Options
    We are going to check out an '06 Forester 2.5 X tomorrow morning in a neighboring town. I drove one last week and desperately wanted the LL Bean model, however since then I've relented on my demand for leather and will see if I like the plain ol' X-model. Will keep you posted. I'm also considering just waiting and saving for a year or two and getting exactly what I want, but I don't know if I can be that patient, and I still lust after better mileage. And few things are more fun than a new car, so who knows, who knows.

Thanks again for the input!

Desk
  • Options
    Uh oh, I am down to the wire negotiating on a white 2006 Bean Forester. How did this happen? I had decided to wait and save up for the car I really wanted, and all of a sudden I'm about to buy! Just have to talk to the other dealer in the morning.

I took my DH to compare the vehicles and we agree that the Forester is the right size, and mileage and safety considered, there is little reason to go quite as small as the RS, especially since I know and love the Forester already.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your suggestions and your help!

Desk
  • Options
    For about the last ten years when I get a car I order denim seat covers from an online store (www.seatcoversusa.com ) and I just ordered some for my wifes OBS SE. The company now has two tone so I ordered dark blue bolsters with silver grey inserts with the Subaru logo screen printed in white on the seatback. It should look nice. "After I put them on I will take a picture and post it--after I learn how to do it. BTW: how do you post pictures?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Then include a link here.

Photo Bucket, Imagestation, places like that. I think even Yahoo gives you some space/bandwidth.

If it's just one photo and it's Subaru-related e-mail it to me and I'll host it for you.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice, thanks. It will just be one photo. Most likely not till the middle of August since we will be out of country from 3 to 17 aug.
  • Options
    talaimotalaimo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Impreza Outback Sport with 87,000 miles. The transmission shifts
    from 1st to 2nd very hard, the rest of the shifts up and down are smooth. I have had the transmission fluid changed. Are there any vacuum lines or modulator valves that I should check or any suggestions
  • Options
    That's not necessarily bad - what you don't want is soft shifts with lots of slip.

Just ease of the throttle when you sense it's about to shift.

-juice
  • Options
    misterpinchermisterpincher Member Posts: 4
    I test drove an Outback Sport over the weekend and it had it's check engine light on. The saleman told me that is normal and they all do that until they are reset? Is that really part of the dealer prep?
  • Options
    Note my reply to you in the other forum that you posted this question in.

-Dan-
  • Options
    skiliftskilift Member Posts: 6
    I am due to bring my OBS to the dealer this week for its 22,500 mile scheduled maintenance. Since the last scheduled maintenance I had done at the dealer (15K), it has developed an annoying rattle that sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the cargo area. I have checked all loose items in this area, including the cargo cover. Does anyone have any thoughts as to where I can direct the dealer so as I can be sure to get this fixed while my OBS is still under the full warranty (as opposed to just the drive train). Thanks.
  • Options
    Try to document when it happens, i.e. does it happen at idle? At a certain speed? Only on bumpy roads?

That might help the Dealer try to replicate it so he can trouble shoot it properly.

-juice
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    "... see if anyone makes the window vents for the OBS."

If you find any for the 03 Foresters, perhaps you would like to import a few - just get an extra suitcase! Some of us on Forester board would pay a relatively handsome price for these. :D
  • Options
    nuke74nuke74 Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered an OBS SE yesterday. Got it for 19,188, not including the 1000 rebate. Total with taxes & rebate came to 19,800. I didn't think it was too bad ( a little less than invoice with the rebate).

Thanks for everyone's discussions here. I had driven an Acura TSX, Mazda 3, and finally chose the OBS. (never thought I'd own a subaru especially in NYC).

One question I have is there any aftermarket nav best suited to the OBS?

Thanks,
  • Options
    I just ordered one of those, not here yet but I'll share a review when I get it.

Here was my criteria for choosing it as my purchase:

ateixeira, "Navigation / GPS Systems" #259, 4 Aug 2005 4:08 pm

-juice
  • Options
    tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I had a 96 OUTBACK that had a metallic rattle when reving up and it was the heat
    sheilds on the exhaust system.Turned me off on Subaru.
  • Options
    Sorry you feel that way. I've had heat shields go on a Nissan and a Jeep. I just removed them, as I don't generally park over high, dry grass or anything like that. It's hardly unique to Subarus.

-Dan-
  • Options
    Seems like an odd decision, one bad weld and you gave up on Subarus entirely? That would have been an easy fix at any muffler shop, cheap too.

-juice
  • Options
    nuke74nuke74 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my OBS SE with security (NYC). Thanks for the tip on the navigation. The car is sweet and it seems to handle better than my mits eclipse, can't push it though until the break in period is over, even though I've had a little fun already. I don't know why anybody would buy an automatic.

One question, should I change the oil at 1K or 3K. Since its a new car, I've been told to change at 1K to get rid of "break in oil".

Thanks
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I've been told to change at 1K to get rid of "break in oil".

This is a persistant auto care legend - it is fine to go 3 - 5K.
  • Options
    I heard they use plain old Havoline motor oil, no special break-in oils.

Congrats.

-juice
  • Options
    rkinnerrkinner Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I've sort of been 'lurking in the shadows' reading your posts for a while now but since I am now finally the proud owner of a beautiful new OBS SE I thought I might should join in the discussion. Incredible handling, fun to drive, everything i expected and more. But I do have a few questions.
    First of all, my gas mileage wasn't quite what I was hoping for when I drove to the beach this past weekend. I got around 350 miles to the tank (well, the gas light wasn't actually on when I got gas, so not quite a tank) on 95% highway driving. The average speed was about 75 mph (seems like everyone goes 80 on hwy 40 heading towards the beach in NC). I have sort of chalked up the poor gas mileage to the fact that I was going 75 (slightly above 3000 rpms) and that it's a brand new car (<500 miles on it now after the trip). I only had 20 bucks on me at the gas station so I didn't fill up the tank which, I now realize, would have been helpful in finding out the exact mileage that I got. But still, any thoughts you guys have that would make me feel better would be great. I've read that gas mileage gets better as the engine is broken in, but does anyone know how much?
    Secondly, there is a rattle that comes from my drivers window on rougher road conditions above 55 mph. I have found that I can push against the window sticker (to keep my fingerprints from the glass of course!) in the bottom left corner of the window and it stops the rattle completely. I can also lower the window just a TINY bit and that seems to help as well. My question is: can I go to the dealer and have them fix the rattle under warranty? Or are they going to make me pay?
    And finally, my clutch pedal has started giving a little squeak every time i push it down. Same question as above...will the dealer fix it under warranty since it's nothing mechanical but just aggravating to me...especially since i just got the car?
    I would appreciate any and all help you folks can give me. Thanks!
  • Options
    Of course they will fix it. The car was not built to have a rattle so there is something wrong with it so it will be covered. I have had many "rattles" fixed. The problem with a rattle is it could be the start or something worse. If it were a lose screw on your power windows the windows will fail at sometime or other so they will fix it. As to your poor MPG the speed is what does it. Most cars are tuned to get their best at about 65 or so. Over that you really get the RPMs up there.
    My wife has the light blue OBS SE and gets about 25 in town. Just watch your RPMs. There will be a speed range where they will not move much but you will get a good speed band and that is most likely your best mix of speed and RPMs. Enjoy, they are nice cars.
  • Options
    By the way. :)

-juice
  • Options
    paddykpaddyk Member Posts: 23
    Tried for the best MPG with my new OBS.

I start work at 5:30am so the freeway is deserted so I won't slow anyone down.
    Use cruse control set at 60mph.
    On the way home with more traffic, I stay in the right lane and find a semi that is going slower and follow (no I dont draft them, just follow at a safe distance so I won't slow anyone else down). If everyone is going 70 then I will too (I don't want to impede the flow)

Use 5th gear anytime above 45mph.

Look ahead...if you see the light is red then lift off the gas and coast to the intersection.

If traffic permits, accelerate at a slower pace from stoplights. (I won't do this if I seem to be holding people up)

Absolute minimum of short trips. I do all of my shopping stops on the way home from work.

Generally, leave for where you are going early and just take it easy. You will get there on time and be relaxed when you get there and save gas.

Last tank was 31.3mpg. 70% highway / 30% city
  • Options
    Sweet. With current gas prices, you should write a book, I bet it would sell!

-juice
  • Options
    Congrads on the new OBS. I'm sure you'll love it.

350 miles on a tank sounds decent. If the light wasn't on, and since you only had a $20 on you, I'd bet you had at least a couple of gallons or more still in it. Sounds like 26-28 mpg or so. Pretty good for an AWD car running at 75mph+.

Get any rattles and noises looked at early. Dealer should fix with no hassle.

Have fun, and feel free to ask away.

-Dan-
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Paddyk makes some good points and I use several of those driving my '04 OBS (last tank, mostly highway at <55 mph: 33.7 mpg). In general, you get your maximum fuel economy driving in top gear with as light a foot on the gas as possible without lugging the engine. I'd agree this is about 45 mph on a flat road. Obviously not a practical highway speed but the key is to be conscious that your speed has an effect on economy.

I use cruise on the highway when possible (helps to keep the speed from creeping up as well) and keep my tires inflated slightly higher than Subaru recommends. I also minimize idling, e.g. if I'm parking somewhere and I've got the window down and sunroof open I turn off the car first, then close the window and roof. Even saving 30 seconds a day of idling is 15 minutes less per month that I'm getting 0 mpg. At today's prices (US$3.11/gallon down the street here) you may as well save what you can.
  • Options
    paddykpaddyk Member Posts: 23
    I will have to try your "less than 55mph" now that gas is $3/gal.
    My only fear is the people on the road will look at me and say " look at that old fart only going 55 when the freeway is wide open". Little do they know that I am an autocross racer and save my speed grins for Sundays where I drive as fast as the course allows. :D
  • Options
    lydiarlydiar Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

This summer I purchased a 1998 outback sport used from a private seller. I have been very happy so far with the car but there are definitely some quirks! My dad actually liked it so much that he went and bought himself a 2003.

I have read over the old posts about hubcaps and have the same question. My car came with all 4 missing. Is Target really the cheapest way to go? Is there anything I can do try and make them stay on? The car has about 50K miles, and we just took it for it's 30K checkup that never happened. They also fixed a rattle in the back. Some complaints that I still have have been discussed before it seems- my radio/clock programs, but once you turn off the car and restart it there is no memory and your choices have been lost. My passenger side window seal is not tight for about 4 inches and on the highway air hissing comes through- is this easily fixed? Finally, I too was less than pleased about the gas mileage....but the recent tips are very helpful!

thanks!
    L
  • Options
    Do you want to upgrade to alloys? You can find WRX take-offs pretty cheap, I believe Tire Rack even re-sells them.

-juice
  • Options
    rkinnerrkinner Member Posts: 3
    Hey Folks,
    Well it's been a few weeks now and I've been extremely happy with my OBS. I had a few minor hiccups...the rattle and then later the driver window-stop was off and the door wasn't shutting properly. But luckily, there's a mechanic at Bob Dunn Subaru in Greensboro, NC that's really top-notch and he had me fixed up in a jiffy.

On my way down to Atlanta I was careful to go 70 tops and low and behold, after i whipped out my calculator (which is on my cell phone, i'm not a total geek) at the gas station...31.7 mpg! Needless to say I was happy...that was even with a healthy bit of city driving, probably around 10 percent city and 85 percent highway. I agree with sliding her into 5th gear as much as possible, certainly helps.

One minor catastrophe though...I found a little dent in my baby's hood...probably from a damn walnut or something falling from the trees that I had to park my car under for a night. Hopefully a call to the Dent Wizard will fix it.

Still pumped about my Sube even though I still haven't mastered all of the intricacies of a manual transmission yet...it's my first one. I get aggravated with myself when I don't hit the shift just right and I feel like i'm putting my brand new car's clutch in a world of pain, I think i just need to chill out.

I'm so happy with the space of this little trooper when the seats are folded down. I swear it's at least as much as I had in my 1995 pathfinder. I also really dig the seat covers. Very unique.

Keep on keeping on, ladies and gents.
  • Options
    Bummer, sorry to hear that. :(

At least it wasn't worse.

06s have aluminum hoods, but I think 05s were still steel. Let them know so they can use appropriate force to fix it.

-juice
  • Options
    boulderdudeboulderdude Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just purchased a '05 OBS and everything is going good but I'm noticing some engine knock. Or atleast that's what I think it is. (Can't imagine it's anything rattling in the engine cause engine knock has that particular knock or ping that separates it from anything else.) I am putting the recommended 87 octane gas in it (87 octane is the mid grade here in CO so I'm still paying a little more) and it only seems to appear at around 2700 RPM when I'm accelerating. The car only has about 2K miles on it and it shouldn't be "knocking". Anyway, Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this with their OBS.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Give the ECU a little time to do its work, it should "learn" and dial back the timing under load to prevent pinging like that.

How many miles to you have? I'd give it at least 3 tanks of gas or so to break-in and set the timing.

-juice
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I see that some of the 2006 2.5i wagons are hitting the dealerships, does anyone know when the Outback Sport wagons will be arriving? :confuse:
  • Options
    They should arrive at the same time. Maybe this dealer just chose to order the cheaper 2.5i models because that's what sells well in his region?

-juice
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I thought that too, but I went on Subaru's website and they don't even show the outback sport model in the Impreza lineup? I also did a search dealer inventory and I checked all over the country and I didn't see any outback sport models in any dealers inventory. Seems strange?
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Burt Automotive in Englewood, CO shows 4 in stock on their website.

(I asked myself the same question a few days ago and having heard that CO is a Subie-heavy state, used Denver as a starting point for my inventory search).
  • Options
    rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    A nearby dealer got in a "boatload" of '06 models last weekend. Three STIs, wow.... Over $100K sitting there.. Anyway, he had one 2.5i, and also an Outback Sport. Frankly, I was drawn to the 2.5i. Very clean look, nice alloys, etc. I then noticed the OBS. Frankly, I liked the look of the i better. As for the STIs, they are definitely an in-your-face vehicle.
  • Options
    I like 'em too, very clean styling and no two-tone.

The OBS does have some nice equipment, like the roof rack and fogs.

-juice
  • Options
    rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I've never owned a Subaru, but have been test driving them for years, and watching the steady improvement, from a Leyone wagon ( if I spelled that correctly) which felt like it wanted to go belly up in mildly spirited driving, to the first of the Outback Sports, to the somewhat cumbersome Outbacks, etc. I have to say that I never cared for the two tone look of the OBS, but that the TS seemed a bit whimpish in looks. This year, I say the 2.5i is the way to go. A bit cheaper, and frankly, in that dark silver color this dealer has, a very sharp car. And if early reports are true, the engine tweaks this year have worked wonders. I am seriously thinking of selling my '05 Tribute once the weather really turns, not that it is a bad vehicle, but I don't sense it will be as rock solid reliable as my '99 Accord was. And if I do sell it, and if by then Subaru is anxious to move Imprezzas, I may take the plunge.
  • Options
    I think if you have a V6/AWD Trib you'd notice a pretty substantial improvement in fuel efficiency, the timing would not be bad.

Does the Tribute feel like it's not going to last as long? Why?

Just curious.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.