Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    My last Automatic vehicle was a 1967 Corvair Monza convertible....That was 1971. My Tribute is the least-seen variant. 4 cylinder (nice engine, a bit weak on low end torque), 5 speed, AWD. So mileage is a little lower than it would be with the Imprezza.
    Well, body creaks are a bit bothersome, though it seems to be temperature related. So maybe it is more likely panel creaking rather than structural. There have been times when I felt the drivetrain might be doing some odd things. I am not sure the new intelligent AWD is quite right. I have noticed when making spirited left hand turns that the left rear wheel lets out a screech that makes you think locked-up brake. That has me a bit concerned. Overall, it is a nicely balanced package, and drives very well for what is sold as an SUV, but is more like a tall wagon. I would much prefer the 50/50 system of the Subaru, like my old Mitsubishi Galant was. I think the Tribute might be best off as a FWD wagon.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Those aren't bad, it's just carrying a bit of weight.

-juice
  • Options
    rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Yes, the Mazda 2.3. It's almost state-of-the-art, and even in Tribute form comes 'on the cam' at about 3000 rpm. While not nearly as smooth as a Honda 4, it does make nice sounds at higher rpms.
    I am anxious to try the '06 2.5 Imprezza / OBS engine to see if it now has a new sense of urgency.
  • Options
    threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    Hi Juice,

It's been a long time since I've been on these boards and was pleasantly surprised to see you're still here sharing your boundless knowledge and experience.

I would agree with you on the Tribute that it's really a nice package in the field in which it competes. However, I think that one of the first characteristics of the 2.5i Impreza that would be noticed is it's superb handling capabilities. Additionally, the seamless Subaru four wheel drive system is comparable to, if not better than, cars costing many thousands more. With the exception of my WRXs, I've always driven the OBS models, and I was amazed at how they seem to actually claw their way through a turn when you lean on it a bit.

According to all the reports, the 2.5i Impreza with its "sport tuned suspension", will out handle the OBS with it's "heavy duty raised suspension". This year there's only two tenths of an inch difference; but if my math is right, that equates to about 2.4" higher.

I'm gonna put my $$$ on the 2.5i this year. Had intended to go for the WRX, but with gas well over $3/gal in our area, I think I'll pass on the premium gas requirements as an unrequired luxury. The fog lights and roof racks, along with some other goodies, can be added and still be below the price of the OBS, if I'm not mistaken.

Terry
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    "This year there's only two tenths of an inch difference; but if my math is right, that equates to about 2.4" higher."

Isn't 2.4" two tenths of a foot? :confuse:

Two tenths of an inch is about 5mm.
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    The '06 Impreza brochure I have shows the ground clearance difference as 10 mm (170 on the OBS vs 160 on 2.5i), so that's 6.7" vs 6.3". This is actually up 10 mm (again, 0.4") vs the 2005 and earlier models.

I have an '04 OBS and had the opportunity to drive a '05 2.5RS last week. Driving them back-to-back the RS definitely cornered better, and coupled with the smaller steering wheel Imprezas got for '05 and more feedback from the steering it felt noticeably sportier than my OBS.
  • Options
    Yep, you're absolutely right. I' gonna quit listening to our politicians "new fuzzy math" talk. Thanks for keeping me honest and setting the record straight.

As for the actual road clearance of the two models, I'm taking my numbers of 5.9" for the 2.5i and 6.1" for the OBS from the SOA web site. None of the dealers in our area have received any brochures on the new Imprezas yet.

BTW, the SOA web site does list the OBS, but you have to look under the "Outback" button. Additionally, they have not updated the OBS pix.

It is interesting to note that SOA continues to designate the OBS's suspension as "heavy duty raised" when it has only two tenths inches more ground clearance than the 2.5i. When the remake of the Impreza line was done in '02, the respective ground clearances were 5.9" and 6.3", if my memory serves me correctly.

Terry
  • Options
    In this case the difference is small, it's not like the Outback vs. Legacy, which is a couple of inches.

Just get the one that has the equipment you prefer and feels good on your test drive. A few tenths of an inch will probably never make a difference.

-juice
  • Options
    juice:

Once again you've given sound counsel; and for those who really like the two-tone paint the OBS is the way to go. However, the difference in suspension does translate into a two foot diference in the turning circle of the two vehicles,(33.5 vs 35.5) and the extra $900+/- gets you the two-tone paint, fog lights, rear bumper cover, HD raised suspension, and roof cross bars. Prior to the '04 model year, you'd spend more $$$ equipping the base model to the level of the basic OBS; but I don't believe that's true any more.

However, as you suggested, driving them both, back to back over the same route, is the best way to pick what's right for you. Additionally, out here on the west coast, Subaru is offering a 24hr test drive. I've yet to determine if that's on all models or just the Tribeca.
    Serious buyers should take advantage of this offer, as a 15 minute ride will not really tell you if the seats are going to fit w/o giving you back pain on the long trips. IMHO

Terry
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Question, does Subaru charge an advertising fee to their invoice pricing, I know they add on for New England, but how about the rest of the country?
  • Options
    It's been my experience here in Washington that the advertising fee is not invoiced, but is added on by the dealer when writing up the deal. The dealer also had me initial that the advertising fee was being passed on to me.

That only has to happen once and you learn to mention up front that you're not going to pay any additional fees beyond the price upon which you and the salesman have agreed.

Edmunds explains this fee in their normal breakdown of the prices on new cars.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Some areas charge an ad fee on the invoice, I think in Illinois for example (someone correct me on this). In New England the ad fee is just part of the invoice and not broken out separately. I think the poster from WA may have been had, I don't recall dealers placing an ad fee outside the sale price of the car.
  • Options
    drivelikejehudrivelikejehu Member Posts: 21
    greetings everyone. i just put a deposit on a regal blue pearl '06 outback sport SE [light on options, cargo protection, all-weather mats, short-throw shifter for kicks]. after reading these forums i'm beginning to think i should have gone with the plain 2.5i wagon for the better handling/cornering on pavement. [i live in florida and have never taken a car off pavement except to wash it in a front yard]

i took an '05 santa-fe red OBS for a test drive in mid september and i liked it fine enough to begin the search for one in a more attractive colour...not even bothering to test drive the 2.5i. being so late in the year we had a problem finding any outback sports in the southeast in blue, silver, or black, with a five speed near the price i wanted to pay. we went a month with no luck, and during that time the '06 front end really grew on me, so here i am! The car should be here in November, the dealer mentioned something about Allocations and it would take a couple weeks to order my car in. I can wait, but that does sound strange.

my brother happens to work for SIA, so that helped bring the price down to a comfortable level for me. I'm 23, a full time college student with a full time job so i've got a healthy daily commute. I've driven mitsubishi eclipses since i received my driving permit, but it's time for something different. I considered the mazda 3 hatchback as well as a lower level volvo wagon. [i have an uncle/cousins that work for Ford] The mazda three was a lovely car, but there is something about Subaru that has held my attention ever since i started driving.

i apologize for the long-winded post, but i'm excited to join in the discussion of these vehicles and share my own opinions or thoughts. I'm sure i'll have my fair share of questions too. [don't worry, i'll consult past discussions first]

cheers!
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Looking forward to your views of the '06 once you get it. Congrads, and have fun!

-Dan-
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    FWIW, the '06 has standard side head and torso airbags (I believe a combo bag) and beefed up door surrounds to better weather the new IIHS side impact crash test. The Insurance Institute reports that side curtain airbags drop the fatality statistics 45% in side crashes...so waiting for 06 has some added benefits.
  • Options
    Congrats on your purchase! Maybe after you pick it up you can post a few pictures of it, since photos of the 06 OBS have been few and far between so far.

When I purchased my FXT a few weeks ago, the dealer explained that they only put in an order for what they want allocated to their dealership once a month, and receive the shipment the next month. Instead of being able to just make a call right when you're ready to buy and place a special order, they have to put your just-the-way-you-want-it OBS on their allocation for the next month. It sounds like you showed up before they placed their order for next month, otherwise you might be waiting until mid-December! Consider yourself lucky!

The OBS looks like a neat car; if my local dealer had any on the lot when I was shopping, I might own one now. Instead though, there was no OBS in sight and the FXT won my heart (quite the easy task, as it turns out!).
  • Options
    d'oh! i AM waiting until mid-december. :cry: but that was my mistake, i had my info mixed up.

pictures are a big resounding YES when i get it. i've got webspace and a camera even if there will be more photos of other OBS's by.. mid december.. the closest i've seen of my actual car's colour is the second to last page of the 06 impreza brochure, the outback sport with the yellow kayak on top.

well, i've waited for 8 years to own a subaru. i guess i can wait two more months! I have dreamed of a WRX since they became available here, but in the final few weeks leading up to my order, i found more pro's in going with a non-turbo. that extra 4 grand covers a lot of tuition.

cheers everyone, thanks for the responses.
  • Options
    wskwsk Member Posts: 2
    Just test drove a 2.5i Impreza wagon. Liked it a lot, but am looking more for the Outback Sport, at least from what I've read (I'd like the little bit of ruggedization). The problem I had though is that the headrests seemed uncomfortably far forward. Felt like my head was getting pushed forward and my chin pushed toward my chest. Really pretty annoying.

Is this the same on the OB Sport? Has anyone else noticed this, or better, found a fix?

Part of the problem is that my arms are somewhat short compared to my legs, so I have to slide the seat back kind of far, but tilt the seatback forward. Still, it seems like other cars I've tried haven't been quite so noticeably annoying.

Thanks...
  • Options
    Someone said the same thing about the '06 Forester.

I drove one, and it didn't bother me. Might depend upon your seating position, body size and shape?

-juice
  • Options
    shanvoshanvo Member Posts: 5
    I am shopping around for a 2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE, Automatic (I know not manual). I got a final offer from the dealer for $20700, OTD (Out of the Door). Michigan sales tax is 6%. My final offer was $20500. What do you guys think? Should I budge if the dealer does not come back. Over all what do you think about the deal. Also, this would be my first Subaru (none of my friends or family own a Subaru). Thanks a lot in advance to all you guys. Expecting your expert comments/advises.
  • Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    It is on the higher side if you are just getting Outback Sport SE + Auto. Are you getting any other options?
    BTW which dealer quoted this price? Shoot for 18500(SE&Auto) + title + taxes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Its from Suburban Subaru in Troy Michigan. And yes its just Outback Sport SE. Will try for the range you mentioned. Please let me know of any specific dealer around Detroit with good deals on this.
    In fact I arrived at this number $20500 (for OTD) after getting the TMV from Edmunds.com (which is 20500 before taxes, which I guess is pretty high then).

One more thing, heard usually if there is a total down payment (no-financing) the dealers would reduce around $500 to $1000. Is it true across the board or depends on individual dealer.
  • Options
    Sorry I meant its Ouback Sport SE + Auto (no options).
  • Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Where do you live? Try Hodges in Ferndale and Ann Arbor Subaru. Hodges is the best even though their showroom is not all that attractive. When do you need the car?
  • Options
    Thank you! Spoke to Hodges Friday will stop by them tomorrow (Monday) and other dealers if needed.
  • Options
    The '06 OBS and 2.5i do have the same front seats (different fabric only). Can the head restraint be moved back and forth on the '06 seats? My '04 has a fixed head restraint that only moves up and down, but the seats have been redesigned since '04 so that doesn't necessarily carry forward to the current model.
  • Options
    i was browsing online, and i found a website of a gentlemans regal blue pearl OBS SE, same car i put on order, same colour, etc. it looks fantastic. absolutely gorgeous. heres a link for anyone interested. [one more month. can't wait!]

http://www.djangobliss.com/photogallery/picid.199.html

as for the headrests, i dont recall if they can move forward or backward. i thought they were the same seats from 04?
  • Options
    Nice colour. I haven't seen an '06 in that blue yet.

The seats are definitely different than in my '04. Different fabric and sportier (more aggressive bolstering). They updated the interior for the 2005 model year and I believe that's when the seats were changed. So although the headrests don't move in mine, they might on the newer seats.
  • Options
    The car looks great in that color with the contrasting trim; the OBS still tugs at my heart a bit, even after opting for the power and ground clearance of the FXT instead. I think you'll really like your car!
  • Options
    skiliftskilift Member Posts: 6
    I don't know if you have bought your OBS yet, but thought I'd share my '04 OBS purchasing experience with the hope that it helps someone with their negotiations.

What I did was search the inventories available for the Subaru Dealerships within about 100 miles. When I found five vehicles I wanted, I sent an e-mail to each dealer's internet sales manager. In the e-mail I asked each to make me an offer for the vehicle in their inventory that I would want. I specified that the offer had to include a total offer price that included all taxes and fees and had to include the Subaru ski racks. In addition, I indicated I knew approximately what the invoice price, customer incentives, dealer holdback, and dealer incentives (the incentives the manufacturer gives the dealer when the customer takes the incentives available to him) were (when I was just test driving, I had a dealer that really wanted to sell to me that day and revealed all of the above information, with the exception of invoice price, which I got from edmunds).

Four out of the five dealers were within $300 dollars of each other when they made their offers to me. The fifth dealer came into line when I informed it of the prices the others offered. So, my decision boiled down to which color I wanted (I went with the dark green).

My final purchase price, including all fees and the ski racks, ended up at about $1,500 below invoice. Of course, I bought my OBS in June of '04, right after the '05s came out, so there were significant incentives and dealers were looking to get rid of their '04s.
  • Options
    donm3donm3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All.

After several months of frustrating looking and driving my wife and I finally bought a new car. A 2006 OBS with manual transmission. We found the buying experience to be particularly frustrating because we have not been in the market for a long time. We try to get out money's worth out of what we buy.

Our '96 Ford Ranger (The last new purchase) now has nearly 220,000 miles on it. It still runs great, but there comes a time when one should consider spending some money.

OK, assuming that we are hopefully going to be living with our new purchase for a long time, what things do I need to do or be aware of? This is the first Suburu that we have owned. Hopefully there are some long-term Suburu owners out there that might want to comment.

So far, we are than more than satisfied with our purchase. We have had no problems with the dealer (Yet) and our baby outback seems to have no problems at all, other than getting a new remote for the security system programmed. That is one complicated procedure.

We have even been impressed with the fuel mileage, which seems to be better than we had expected. About 27.5 in mixed driving so far.

Love it so far and very happy with our purchase.

Comments and "Look out For's" are welcomed.

Don Mills
    Cynthiana, Kentucky (The middle of nowhere)
  • Options
    flapperflapper Member Posts: 16
    Congrats and best of luck with your new outback Sport! I have the '05 OBS SE, and at just over a year and 16,000 miles it's a terrific little car. My previous car was a '98 Outback (the bigger one) I sold to a friend when it had about 180,000 miles on it.

Just follow the maintenence booklet that came with the car, and you'll be fine. Be sure to read the section on towing an AWD vehicle. I feel they (OBS) are the "forgotten Subarus", but I like them because you don't see a lot of them on the road. I take mine camping all the time, and am shocked at how much gear I can stuff into it with the seats down.

Again, best of luck with your new Subaru!

Patrick
  • Options
    First off, congrats, and join us in the Subaru Crew threads under owners clubs. Introduce yourself. We'll help you keep it in top condition.

Consider keeping the Ranger as a "beater" for the dirty jobs you don't want to subject your new car to.

Every time you start up, prime the fuel pump first. It's simple, just turn the key to the ON position and wait, listen for the "whirr", only then start the car. That keeps the fuel line pressurized and makes for smoother starting and cold temp operation.

Treat it well and hopefully it will outlast even that pickup of yours.

-juice
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new car. I know it'll give you many years of faithful service. I've had my 2004 OBS 5-speed for over two years now and it's willingly done everything I ask and has never given me a single problem. Great on gas too, I've done 32-33 mpg a few times.

One thing to look out for based on my experience would be that if you get snow or slippery conditions where you are, take some time in a safe location to familiarise yourselves with how the Subaru handles in those situations. It was my first AWD vehicle (we have two now) and it took some getting used to since I'd only driven FWD before in winter.
  • Options
    donm3donm3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all of you who took the time to repond.

I'd be happy to join you on the Subaru Cerw threads. Should I just go to "owners clubs" Any other instructions?

Should I introduce myself here or there?

There really wasn't a lot of decision involved about keeping the old Ranger. We live way out in the country, about 10 miles from the nearest small town. In this part of the world (About half way between Lexington, KY and Cincinnati, OH) just about everyone has a use for a good older FWD pickup, including us.

The pickup market in central Kentucky is different from
    some other places. The dealers offer nothing for your worn out truck, but if you happen to trade it in, it appears on the lot the next day with a wash job and a price at least 3-4 times what it was worth the day before. During our car looking experience we had several sales reps at different dealers almost begging us to trade in the truck, simply because they were personally looking for such a truck and they rarely see one traded.

I tried the suggestion of letting the pump run up the fuel pressure. It seemed to reduce a momentary fast idle that it has on a cold start. Thanks!

I found my first "I wish Subaru had" Not being a "sound hound" like our daughters I would easily have traded a couple of those extra speakers for a motion-operated light in the rear lid.

It looks like there is a plug in that lid that might have held a light at some point. Does anyone know if such a thing might be available as a service part?

Thanks again for your interest and warm welcome. Both are appreciated.

Don Mills
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Hi there. We're looking to get a 2.5i wagon w. automatic. We don't really want any options besides fog lamps. Edmund says the invoice is $18,679 and TVM is $19,478. We're flexible in color.

I live in Folsom, CA (95630). Is it possible to get anything lower than invoice? Thank you in advance.

A.
  • Options
    I'll make it easy, just click here:

KarenS, "Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II" #25758, 7 Nov 2005 12:37 pm

Invoice is good, a dealer can dip in to their own holdback (2%) but then they'll likely come back with fees of some kind to make it up. They have to earn a living. Most profits already come from service.

-juice
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Thanks for the reply. I'll shoot for invoice. If no go, I can wait a few more months to be elegible for the VIP program.

Thank you,

Angel
  • Options
    petes99petes99 Member Posts: 3
    hi all,

i'm on my way to purchasing a manual regal pearl blue OBS SE very soon - and am very excited. can you answer one question for me though? does it come with heated seats or not? i can't find it documented anywhere, but i did see that they were standard on the 05. thanks in advance!

and if there's curiosity, my 98 Jetta has become a repair nightmare, which is why i'm heading towards subi. i want something that's going to run!! :)

pete
  • Options
    Not! No heated seats (or mirrors either, as far as I can tell). Don't think they were available in the US for 2005, actually, but the Canadian OBS comes with heated seats & mirrors standard so some confusion is created there. I don't use the heated seat all that much but it IS nice on really cold days because it warms up a lot faster than the car does. Don't let that stop you from buying one :D
  • Options
    petes99petes99 Member Posts: 3
    bummer!!! oh well. heated seats are certainly not a deal breaker, but man, i really was hoping. my jetta should have had them but didnt, so i was hoping a new car would!

anyway, i'm incredibly excited to get the Subi. i've been wanting one for oh, 5 years oh so - my first infatuation was the late 90's Legact GT. that moved onto a WRX desire, but practicality won out and the OBS is the current choice. my only gripe might be its handling - i liked how the 2.5i responded, but the OBS SE just has the best value around. i think it has plenty of perks to make up for the rugged suspension :) .
  • Options
    cityfishercityfisher Member Posts: 11
    I got a quote from a dealer in san francisco: $19200 for outback sport, $17200 for Impreza 2.5i. I was surprised that outback sport would be $2000 more expensive than basic impreza. I thought it should be $1000 more. Based on the quote I mentioned above, which one would you go?
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I would say Impreza 2.5i...there is nothing you would miss and you would have an additional $2000 in the bank.
  • Options
    2000 doesn't quite justify the obs. but i chose the obs SE because i like a good stereo. the SE gets a 260 watt system. i'm a sucker for foglights and spoilers as well. the two tone paintjob is kinda nice in certain colours. i don't think there are any other big reasons why i chose the obs over the 2.5i...

i sure am going through a major hassle with my dealer over the VIP program though. if i hadn't already dropped a deposit on an OBS, i'd take my business elsewhere.

at least i got a date for the arrival! november 25. much better than waiting for mid december! woo! i hope it goes off without a hitch.

good luck on your purchase! i had the same desire for a WRX, but really couldn't afford the extra 4 grand over the outback sport. and i've wanted an impreza for around 6 years. [what can i say, it was those huge foglights that won me over on the old rally cars]

keep us posted on what you choose in the end.
  • Options
    tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I purchased my impreza through the VIP program and had no problems, what is the dealing doing with you?
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Having been a former owner of a 2004 Outback Sport, I would say that you would miss absolutely nothing by going for an Impreza 2.5i. Unlike the regular Legacy based Outbacks that have a lot more ground clearance than other Legacies, the difference in Ground clearance between the OBS and WRX is 0.2" (6.1" for WRX vs 6.3" for the OBS). Foglights sound nice but in over 2 years of ownership I never truly used it. The OBS also handles clumsily when compared to the 2.5i....something you notice everyday. They claim that it is a "heay duty suspension" in the OBS but the payload capacity is identical between the OBS and 2.5i...900lbs.
  • Options
    Fitz had 2.5i models from $17,056 and OBS from $18,362 with manual trannys.

For auto it's $17,838 vs. $19,374.

The roof rack and other extra features are worth about that much. Not sure I'd pay a $2 grand difference.

-juice
  • Options
    cityfishercityfisher Member Posts: 11
    I don't want the roof racks come with the OBS, because I am going to install more useful racks by myself. The 6CD stereo means nothing to me. I do like the two-tone paint and the interior of OBS also looks better than Impreza 2.5i. Foglights would be very nice to me since there is often heavy fog in my area. That is why I would go for OBS if it was about $1000 more.
    Did anyone get a price on OBS less than $19,000?
  • Options
    Not for an 06. But I had seen 05s for less.

-juice
  • Options
    paddykpaddyk Member Posts: 23
    $19832.76 2005 OBS SE Plus factory hitch installed.
    That was an out-the-door price.
    All fees and taxes. :)
This discussion has been closed.