Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    sschilfsschilf Member Posts: 63
    I see that Subaru (sp?) has "AWD" on their Legacies. Is this any different then ESP and traction control on the Passat? better? worse? Please let me know. Thank you!
  • Options
    Has anybody bought an 03 GLX Sedan or Wagon with ESP and automatic below Invoice plus tax, title, etc? If so, please advise!

Also, have you noticed that VW is the only manufacturer that has the most silly charges tacked on the end!! Like "VW Floor Plan, VW National Advertising, and car detailing" etc etc Competitors like Honda, Nissan, and Toyota dont!

Thanks
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    VW is NOT the only mfg to include these silly charges. Actually, VW has nothing to do with these charges. These are just things the dealer tacks on when attempting to get the invoice price up so it can make a profit when people come in wanting $x over invoice. They are probably legitmate expenses, but all belong in the general category of overhead and should be included in whatever profit the dealer makes.

You can find plenty of Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, dealers who will play exactly the same game.

My advice is not to play the $x over invoice game. Get a general idea what people are paying, then negotiate with a couple dealers on an out-the-door price.

- Mark
  • Options
    mauislickmauislick Member Posts: 107
    yes park place motors for the cargo net, I coundn't remember them all.......also dealers have to make money to stay in busniness ( how did you get the money to pay for your car?)
    It's best to look for a "fair deal" meaning what's good for both a fair discount for you and a fair profit for them....if you want real deals on cars.....then buy to ones no one wants in ugly colors with wierd options that have been sitting on the lot for a year...they will be glad to get rid of them to you.....
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Do you work for VWOA?
  • Options
    4petite4petite Member Posts: 30
    I am happy to say I have a beautiful GLS wagon parked at home. At first I was hesitant because of my budget, but in the end found a wagon with only Monsoon and Homelink added for a total of $600 under listed invoice (before lic, tax, and doc). This is MUCH better than the TMV or CarsDirect prices I was given for my area.

My sales person told me that dealer holdback was around $750. It was also implied that after commission, the dealership would be taking a small (<$200?) loss on the car (but I did finance with VW which probably lessens that).

What do people think of extended warranties (years 5 and 6)? Anyone have any idea what percentage of the time the warranty goes unused?
  • Options
    Glad you got a good deal. Don't worry about the dealer taking a loss - the markup may be small, but they're probably making something.

Extended warranties are expensive maintenance insurance. Like any kind of insurance, the odds are generally with you if you self-insure and run "bare" - otherwise they wouldn't try and sell it. But if it helps you sleep better at night, go for it. But shop around - prices vary widely and you can negotiate the cost of it just like the car. I'd definitely go for a factory extended warranty, and not any 3rd-party policy.

- Mark
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    May it serve you well for many years to come. We look forward to hearing more details....

Btw, in addition to the feedback here, you may also want check out our FWI message board to see what kind of discussions we have on extended warranties. Good luck, and happy motoring! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "I see that Subaru (sp?) has "AWD" on their Legacies. Is this any different then ESP and traction control on the Passat? better? worse? Please let me know. Thank you! "

Subaru vs Volkswagen
    AWD 4motion
    VDC ESP

So short answer is that ESP is not AWD.
    All Subarus (at least sold in USA) have AWD. Only two models (wagon and sedan) have electronic stability feature: Outback VDC.
    Two VW Passats can be had with AWD (4motion is VW marketing speak): GLX wagon and sedan. It used to be option for GLS V6 but not anymore (is it true ?). Electronic stablity (ESP in VW lingo) is an option for each model except GL (or is available for this too ?).

Krzys
  • Options
    yogibear5yogibear5 Member Posts: 2
    Any one has comments on comparing the passat v6 wagon with the volvo v70 fwd wagon (the lowest level one that has 168 horsepower, since it has comparable price as the passat)? I am considering between the two. Any comments are welcome.
  • Options
    I found the roof to be quite low on the volvo V70 if that matters to you ( I use my passat for deliveries) everytime I would reach into the V70 I would hit my forehead on the roof......other than that they are both pretty darn nice......I think the volvo had the most comfortable seats in the business ( from what others have said) the passat seats are "german firm"
    both have had their share of electonic glitches which seems to be popular with the Europian cars these days....... If lexus only made a gl 400 wagon........
  • Options
    yogibear5yogibear5 Member Posts: 2
    Just like to hear passat v6 gls wagon owners if you have considered the volvo v70 wagon, the one with fwd and 168 hp, which makes it more comparable in price to the passat v6. Or any passat wagon owners comments are welcome also. I am considering between the two.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    wolfwoodwolfwood Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I would like to ask for some advice.

Does anybody know any public organization where I can send my complaints about a response of the dealer and get some help? (I am in CA, Silicon Valley)

This is something about my '03 Passat GLX wagon I bought at the end of November.
    Fortunately, it is not a "Lemon", but basically the dealer gave me a broken car (the sales guy knew something wrong with the car, but nothing wrong with the way the car drives) and they do not fix the problem right away (I was asked to wait for another month even though I have already been waiting for a month!).

I am really concerned about their response, I want to get some help from public organization to expedite the repair or to return the car (I know it is too small thing to return the car...).

Thanks,
  • Options
    alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    Why public? Contact VW of America and use the chain of customer complaints.
  • Options
    very helpful if you could be more specific in describing your problem...
  • Options
    Thank you alfox and vwguild for your comments.

I will look for a contact of the VW America.

Anyway, the physical part of my problem is quite small and simple. My radio has never worked since I have bought it at the end of November. It doesn't take the safety code, and needs to be replaced. That's it.
    However, the real problem is their response to my claim. If they fixed or tried to fix the problem ASAP, then I don't complain too much. But nobody seems to understand that what "a broken radio on a brand new ~$30k car" means. Actually it means that they do not check cars before they sell them.
    They refused whatever I asked, did not put me on the first priority...

It's a long story...I have been talking to the sales guy and the service man for a month, but eventually I might need to wait another month to just replace the radio.

I hope I could get some help...
    Thanks again,
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    If you bought your car from Bob Lewis I'm not surprised that you are having problems with the dealer...
  • Options
    booguionbooguion Member Posts: 4
    I am sitting on the fence post and will somebody please push me off to one side! I can not decide between the Saab 9-5 Arc wagon and the Passat GLX wagon. The specs are almost identical except for the money. I had a 1999 Saab SE 9-5 wagon that I just gave to my son. I loved driving the car--super fast, great control, smooth..but now that I am an old lady my only complaint was it was too low. I hit my head getting in and I felt like I needed one of the "seat risers" to get me out of the car. Does the Passat (V6,auto) have good acceleration and handling? I REALLY loved driving my Saab-and never had a problem with it! Also, does anyone have the gray interior? I wanted black ( with Fresno Green ext) and the dealer said it would take 3 months to build one because there aren't any in the US. The gray is not very dark and I worry about mud, etc staining it. I do alot of gardening and hauling dirt,bark,rocks,etc. I have to decide fast because I am now left with my son's 1999 "death trap" Bravada ( poster car for worst safety and roll-over rating in mid-SUV class-in a wreck the steering wheel "intrudes" right out of the occupant space and out the back window!) I could not have bought a worse car!! I need some help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    For more focused feedback, feel free to start up a new "Passat wagon vs Saab 9-5 wagon" discussion if you'd like. You'll find the "add discussion" button near the top of the Wagons Message Board on the right side. Also, use your copy/paste feature so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Options
    sslublinersslubliner Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 2003 Passat Wagon in Santa Rosa, CA on 11/30. One week later, the ABS and Brake warning lights go on, followed by the anti-slip light. Go straight to the dealer, says the manual. After we declined the dealer's invitation to take the car back and have my pregnant wife drive it until the ABS and Brake warning lights come on again, they replace the instrument cluster (forgetting to give us a sticker after they put unknown test miles on our car and took out our odometer.) All was well for 1,000 miles and now the problem has recurred. We are about to go down the lemon law road, if only because of the screw up with the odometer that made us owners of a "not actual mileage" car after one week. My question is: replacement or refund? We like the car, but if these computer glitches--which the mechanics seem to be unable to track down--are common in this model, perhaps we need to look at something else.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your misfortune, but you're probably a long ways from having a lemon law case. The dealer gets a few chances to fix problems and the odometer issue is completely tangential.

Get out the brochure they gave you and start following the letter of the process, documenting anything. If you do prevail, I'd take refund, but the dealer may offer replacement as a compromise prior to escalation. But I'd bet you're LONG way from that yet.

- Mark
  • Options
    cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    You may be getting old but you have pretty cool taste in cars.. Both the Saab and Passat are excellent choices. I also currently have a Saab 9- 5 (sedan) which I will soon be trading in for a wagon. I hear what you are saying about the car being too low..I'm only 45 but find that getting in and out of cars not as easy as when I was 20.
    I don't think the VW will offer any height advantage. I believe it will be quite similar to the Saab in this respect and about the same handling.Saab is definitley a more exclusive car in my opinion. VW's are getting quite common now that the secret is out. I would also seriously consider the Volvo XC70 which does in fact offer a higher stance making getting in and out quite easy (for us old folks).. I have tested this at the dealer ship. The Volvo will be quite similar in feel to the Saab although not as sporty. The other car I would consider is the Subaru Outback and forester. The Subaru products are not really in the same league as the European counterparts but do offer a slightly different feel, very reliable and all wheel drive.
    Good luck. All are great choices.
    I'm sure you have looked into these already.
  • Options
    Hi cabbatan1- You and others can now follow up on booguion's question in his new discussion: Saab 9-5 wagon vs Passat Wagon. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message.

Thanks for your participation!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• Options
    Yeah but the Subaru is as ugly as sin...
  • Options
    True enough Frapzoid but I'm only throwing out some suggestions. I agree that the Subaru's are not what you would call a bueatiful looking car and their interiors are about 10 years behind, but I think their appeal lies in the fact that they are engineered differently than all the other cookie cutter Japanese cars and do fill a specific niche for those looking for something a little bit different in the sea of blandness out there.
    If money is no object,then the Europeans are the only way to go.
  • Options
    lhuesolhueso Member Posts: 2
    My daughter just purchased a 2001 Passat wagon, and really enjoys it. I was wondering if anyone has found a good purchase price for heavy duty floor mats. We also own a 2003 Subaru Forester and found a good source for rubber floor mats in the discussion forum for Subaru. If anyone knows of a source for Volkswagen please post it if you would please. Thanks
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I got the VW Monster mats. Perfect fit, front and rear, and sturdily made. I have Weathertechs in our Honda and, while a very good mat, it is not custom for the rear seats.

You can get the VW monster mats at any VW dealer, or order them on line from drewparts.com. Join Clubb5.com and get a 20% discount. I got mine for $78, including shipping. Drewparts did a nice job taking the order, providing info on when they were sent and provide a UPS tracking number. Worked great.

If you're looking for the cargo area mats, the concensus seems to be Weathertech makes the better one. YMMV.
  • Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    Got Monster Mats in my '03 Passat Variant [wagon] too. They work and look great - don't accept any substitutes! Drewparts are awesomne too!
  • Options
    the weathtechs are nice if you want color matched mats they come in black, tan and grey. other wise the monster mats seem to please... also......
    I have the tech mat for the back of the wagon and it works great but am looking into the "carbox ll" for the rear of the wagon WITH the seat down coverage.....at mats4less.com
    happy trails with your wagons....IMO the best one for the $ on the marke
  • Options
    justfind6justfind6 Member Posts: 30
    Hi all,
    We're considering a Passat wagon, and I'd like to go to a dealer with a good rep.
    Anyone know a good dealer in south NJ area? We're just outside Philadelphia.
    Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    03honda03honda Member Posts: 96
    Bought our 1.8t Passat wagon from Avis Volkswagen in Pole Tavern, NJ on Route 40. It's a typical "mom and pop" place. Very friendly and fair people, they give you a loaner car, too, if you use them for your regular 5,000 mile oil changes. They're about 20 minutes off Route 55.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    booguionbooguion Member Posts: 4
    Hi! Cabbanta1. Thanks for your rply. I am a litle behind due to some New Years festivities. Glad to here someone elses bones are creaking. The Subaru is nice but it doesn't have half the safety features. I won't even look at a car without side/head bags. I just love driving the Saab. I have tried the Volvos but they are not as smooth and there reliabilty is questionable. I like the idea of driving something different anyways. I will just have to (God help me) bend over alittle more to get in. A small sacrifice to make.Are the deminsions the same since they redid the Saab in 2002? I swear it looks taller? One more question: What color do you like? I have seen a zillion silver ones (had one) but would like a change. My dealer never has ones to show. Ever seen the "Hazelnut"? Thanks
  • Options
    Can one special order a GLX with bi xenon lights? I heard in Europe that it is possible to buy xenon on any model? Any help would be appreciated?
  • Options
    i think you have to install the bi xenons yourself here in the USA.......or they come on the W8 standard......but not custom order for other models
  • Options
    veedubya1veedubya1 Member Posts: 2
    I was apprehensive about buying the Passat Wagon GLX after owning Japanese cars for 13 years. But the car is wonderful! It is much more fun to drive than the Infiniti I-30 I traded. The fit and finish is absolutely flawless. I am very picky about quality and the Passat is top-notch. I had my heart set on the Fresco Green but it was not to be had - the Mojahve Beige is quite nice too. Does anyone know of seat covers that can be safely used for the front seats - also what about a cover for the cup holders in the front?
  • Options
    I think there are seat covers that can be custom ordered to NOT cover up the side airbags built into the seat back.....the leather is quite nice though, why cover it up?
  • Options
    Saab is very highly rated in safety. I wont go as far as to say they are the safest but they do rank in the top tier with Volvo,Mercedes,BMW and Audi/VW. I'm disappointed that they do not offer a side or head air bag for rear passengers and I'm sure they will include this in future designs but does not help me right now.
    I have to confess,my Saab is also silver. I think it was the color of the year back when I got my car. It seems that most European cars are for the most part silver. I agree that it is passe and time to move on to some more softer colors.
    I have not seen the hazlenut but I'm sure it will be tasteful. I saw a red Aero Wagon drive by the other day and it was absolutely stunning. The other color that stands out is the Cosmic blue but color is such a subjective thing.
    Good luck.. sounds like you are sold on the car. great choice.
  • Options
    What is your source for ranking the Saab ahead of the Passat for safety? I have 2 sources that state something different...
  • Options
    Sorry...I didn't read your post correctly...
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The Saab 9-5 tested by EuroNCAP actually slightly exceeds the Passat's score, but only but a small amount. As pointed out here earlier, it does not have head protection for the second row, nor does it have ESP. It does have some good safety features like active head restraints, though.

The new Saab 9-3 sedan really did well in the EuroNCAP crash tests, but hasn't been crash-tested here. FWIW, the EuroNCAP tests are more stringent than the U.S. tests.

Its test results did exceed the Passat's significantly; it's one of the few vehicles that have ever achieved 5-stars in EuroNCAP's testing (Passat is 4-stars):

http://www.euroncap.com/ratings.php3?id=large_family_cars&order=1

Not that the Passat isn't safe. I'm sure the next generation Passat will be five-stars too. The 9-3 benefits from being based on a more recent platform.

And the comparison to the 9-3 is rather moot in this forum since Saab doesn't have a wagon version of the 9-3 yet.
  • Options
    veedubya1veedubya1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the leather is nice but can get quite hot here in Florida in the summer - also coming from the beach and such hate to sit on the seat directly.
  • Options
    jstrand1jstrand1 Member Posts: 1
    I looked at a '98 Passat wagon today that I like a lot; smooth, fastish, and excellent cargo space, fairly tight... and I think I can get it for $7500+-. Compared with the '85 Saab 900T that I've had for years its a big improvement on amenities & road noise, but my concern with purchasing it is that it has 91,000 miles & I'm not sure what I can expect assuming that I'll have it 2-4 years at 10,000 miles each year. I'll be our (my wife & I) only car so it will be used both 'round town & long trips. As an old-Saab owner I'm not too phased by occasional problems, but I do want to avoid a mess. Its service record looks thorough. There appear to be some minor leaks, but nothing that seems unusual for higher miles. At 5 years old and with these miles I suspect it's had alot of highway miles. Before I buy I will take it to a VW mechanic, but what do you think? The wagons seem damned hard to find in any price range. (By the way I may say to hell with wagons and go for a NG900 or 9-3 5-door). Oh and another thing... please give me your thoughts, not your feelings. These forums border on rant-y beyond the intended usefulness. Sorry for the gripe.

Thanks
  • Options
    No problem frap. I think all of the cars I mention are all on par when it comes to saftey including Passat which is in fact one of the best as you point out. I don't think there will ever be a definitive test to show which is superior. Personaly,I would be happy driving any car from the manufactures listed above. They are all top notch autos. As for reliabilty,we have to admit that they are not on par with the Janpanese but this is not why we choose them instead of the Honda's and the Toyotas.
  • Options
    I am planning to head up to the snow and was wondering if anyone has any experience using snow chains on their FWD Passat GLS wagon. I noticed a comment elsewhere that chains cannot be installed on an older GLX model. Is this still the case? (Okay, I haven't finished reading my owner's manual.) Any recommendations on types of chains?

FYI - www.truckstuffusa.com has the Weathertech cargo tray for $89.95 (gray) with free shipping.
  • Options
    I bought "Spikes Spider" for my GLX wagon even though it looks OK to put normal chains on, because I hate to stay out for 10min or more to put chains on.

Yes it is expensive, but I think it is worth paying extra money. It is really easy to put (less than 5min for both sides), you do not have to worry about clearance or any damage to the wheels.

Here is the one of the links.

http://www.spikes-spider.com/default.html

• Options
    not to be put on any FWD car...VW or otherwise...
    Your Dealer should have had you sign a *Tire Chain Disclosure* form...

Cables or Spiders only...
  • Options
    Where'd you hear this? I've never seen such a recommendation.

- Mark
  • Options
    I read the no chains comment on a newsgroup:
    "As the new owner of a 2001 Passat GLX Wagon with the 16" wheels, I was
    a bit dismayed to read in the owners manual that snow chains or cables
    could not be fitted. Putting my hand behind the tire at the top I
    notice that indeed there is very little clearance."

Since the GLS tires are smaller, I assume this is less of a problem. Sounds like VW may have corrected this.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tamkinstamkins Member Posts: 8
    The owner's manual for my 2003 Passat GLS Wagon says snow chains are fine, and to put them on the front only (even in the 4WD wagons). I've never used snow chains before, so I don't know if that's true for all cars or only these.
  • Options
    chains & cables synonymously; they are not. Inertia forces chains, because they are a loose
    fit, to fly around in side the wheel well and
    potentially causing damage to the front suspension.

Cables are fine, and although a bit more expensive, *Spider Spikes* are a piece of cake to put on and take off...