Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments

Comments

• Options
    richard103richard103 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have any insight, or a strong opinion, about what the rebate on a 2004 Santa Fe might be in March? According to Hyundai's website, it is $1750 thru Feb. 28.

Since I qualify for their loyalty incentive as well, I'm thinking seriously about getting a 2004 Santa Fe, since there are still a few left on dealer lots. Thanks.
  • Options
    schafuddschafudd Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone have any inside info on what kind of rebates are coming in the near future?
    Any information would be a great help, I'm hoping to buy in the next month or so.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    There's no way to know what manufacturers will offer in the future. Why would manufacturers make that info available and hurt current month's sales? It really wouldn't be in their best interest to release future rebate info early.

There are certain historical precedents that you can all but rely on, like the annual Lexus December-to-Remember sales event, but nothing's guaranteed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    "Car and Driver" reported this week that GM has increased the incentives on the 2005 Buick LaCrosse this week. I cannot confirm this on several sites. Could you find out what the current incentive is on the Buick Lacrosse in the North Central region? As of February 21 there was a $1500 rebate OR 0% and $500.
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Thanks for the info, graphicguy.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hi fredvh. General Motors did enhance its incentives on a number of what it calls its "launch vehicles," which essentially means new products, this month. However, it has not made any changes to the Buick LaCrosse's incentives in your area in over a week. In its North Central region, General Motors is currently offering 0% financing for up to 3 years, 1.0% for 4 to 5 years, and 2.0% for 6 years or $1,000 customer cash on this car. In addition to these offers, in your area there is $500 bonus cash that may be combined with both. Lastly, GM opened this model up to its Instant Value Certificate program mid-February. This program provides dealers with a select number of $250 certificates, up to four of which may be used per sale. Dealers do not have enough certificates to use one on every LaCrosse sold, but the fact that you know about them will definitely give you an advantage during negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Greetings richard103. Generally speaking, vehicles' incentives increase as the model year progresses. Having said this, while its incentives on the 2004 Santa Fe are a little higher in February than they were in January, Hyundai's offers on this truck have been fairly consistent over the past several months. It is very difficult to predict what manufacturers will do with their future incentives with 100% accuracy, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say that Hyundai's March incentives on the '04 Santa Fe will be fairly similar to its current program.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hello schafudd. If you have been in the market for a Jeep Wrangler for a while, you are fortunate that you held off on your purchase. GM, Ford, and DaimlerChrysler all enhanced their incentives on SUVs this month in response to slow sales of these models in January. DCX introduced $750 customer cash on this truck that was not available on it last month. Traditionally, DaimlerChrysler has not provided huge customer cash incentives on the Wrangler. Given its recent enhancement on this model, and this historical trend, if I had to make an educated guess I would say that the March incentives on this truck will be fairly similar to the current offers. As I mentioned in my earlier post though, it is difficult to predict what automakers will do with their future incentives with 100% accuracy. Please feel free to stop back during the first week of March and I will be more than happy to tell you what the new program on this truck is like.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    watchhilwatchhil Member Posts: 3
    I have found a new 2004 Yukon XL and need help determining what is a good price. I saw in an earlier post that Dealers were paid Jan 4 for all remaining 2004 inventory, so there are no rebates.

2004 Yukon XL MSRP ~ $43,000

Dealer will knock off $11,000. This seems a bit rich.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Hello watchhil. You are right, GM dealers were paid off for any remaining 2004 models that they had in inventory in early January. On this particular model, the 2004 GMC Yukon XL, dealers received $5,000 dealer cash. A base 2004 Yukon XL has a spread of just over $5,000 between full MSRP and dealer invoice. So if you were to purchase this truck for $11,000 below its full MSRP, you are probably getting it for slightly below invoice, which is a pretty good price. You may be able to get another couple hundred dollars knocked off of this truck's selling price if the dealer that you are working with is really anxious to sell it, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with buying it for $11,000 below MSRP.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    fidorepfidorep Member Posts: 3
    I really enjoy the information you provide to this forum. Question, you seem to have a lot of info on "hidden" incentives/rebate. i.e. Volkswagen paying $2500 to dealer in Jan 04. Can you provide some the websites you use to obtain this info. I do not mind during the research just need someone to point me in right direction! :) Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    Hi-

I am close to buying a Jeep wrangler unlimited and in talking to one of my local dealers and doing some research I have found DCX is offering a $2K rebate on '04 wranglers (vs. $750 rebate & $1000 customer cash for financing on '05s). Did the factory offer any cash to dealers on their remaining 04 inventory. I wonder how much better than invoice I could do on an '04 that is still on the lot.

Thanks - Jeff
  • Options
    I am glad that you enjoy this discussion so much, fidorep. I sometimes have information on dealer and other lesser known incentives that because I have a lot of contacts in the industry who I speak with on a regular basis. The best information that I have seen on incentives that is available to the general public is located right here at Edmunds.com. You can click on the following link to visit the appropriate section of this site: Edmunds.com Incentives Page. If you have questions about the incentives that are available on any specific vehicles, let me know and I will be more than happy to fill you in on what I have heard.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hi Jeff. Unfortunately, the $2,000 dealer cash that you are aware of is the only support that DaimlerChrysler is providing on the 2004 Jeep Wrangler right now. At least this cash is up from the $1,500 that was available on the '04 Wrangler in January.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Car_man -

Good morning. I was doing some google searching this morning, and came across a GM fleet incentive site. I have a couple of questions:
    1) Do you think it is possible to get a dealer to sell a car (maybe from the internet department) to an individual in order to qualify for the fleet incentives? I think so - but just wondering.
    2) I see a $1000 purchase/lease rebate (Conquest)for the Vibe, and a $1500 Fleet retail alternative rebate. Are these combinable? Probably not, but checking.
    3? Finally, do you know if I can get a car with these programs, can I then apply my GM Card (original blue) earnings?

Thanks - Damon
  • Options
    Thanks! Any info on VW 2005 Passat Wagon GLX "hidden" incentives rebates ? FYI Dealer in boston has 2004 GLS Passat Wagons MSRP 26460 - 7001 = $19459 (this includes $500 vw loyalty rebate). I think this is a great deal, have you seen any better ones? Thanks in Advance Car_man!
  • Options
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for the quick response. I know it is the last day of February, but do you know what the march incentives on the 04 & 05 wranglers will be? Or is that info released on 3/1?

Thanks

Jeff
  • Options
    Hey Damon. Sales to individual consumers do not qualify as fleet sales. An additional discounts that are available on fleet vehicles are only given to corporations that purchase a large number of vehicles. The $1,500 incentive that you saw mentioned in this site is customer cash though and is available to anyone who purchases a 2005 Pontiac Vibe. The $1,000 conquest cash offer is compatible with the normal customer cash, so if you own a non-GM product you would be able to get a total of $2,500 in cash incentives on this car. This $2,500 is compatible with your GM Card earnings as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    You're welcome, fidorep. I am not aware of any cash incentives on the 2005 Volkswagen Passat, other than the $500 loyalty cash that is being offered by VW Credit. Its current incentive program is only scheduled to run through today, February 28th. It is possible, though not likely, that VW will introduce dealer cash on this car in March. Please feel free to check back with me in a few days and I will be more than happy to give you an idea of what the incentives are like on the '05 Passat.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    No problem, Jeff. I have not seen what any information on DaimlerChrysler's new March incentives yet. Its new program probably will not be published until late tomorrow. I should have a good idea of what the March incentives are like on the Jeep Wrangler in a day or two. Post a quick reminder for me in this discussion then and I will let you know what I have been able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    traciarosstraciaross Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking at Suburbans and will probably be purchasing one in the next week. Does anyone have information about any "hidden" incentives/coupons, etc. that dealers may have. I know there is a 3000.00 cash allowance and another 1000.00 for using GMAC financing. Just wondering if there might be anything else before I start the negotiation process. Thanks for any information
    Traci
  • Options
    Hi Traci. You have the consumer incentives on this truck down. As of yesterday, General Motors was providing 0% financing for up to 5 years (which provides a heck of a savings on an expensive truck like the Suburban) or $3,000 customer cash plus $1,000 bonus cash (the bonus cash varies by region) on this truck. If I was in the market for one right now, I personally would finance it at 0%. In your post you asked about any "hidden" incentives that are available on this truck. I am aware of two right now. The first is a coupon program through which GM dealers are given a specific number of $250 certificates, up to four of which may be used on 2005 SUVs and pickups. Dealers have not been given enough certificates to use one on every sale, and many are using theirs to help them unload their remaining 2004 models if they have any, but the fact that you know about this program puts you in a stronger bargaining position than if you didn't. The second program is stairstep program that provides dealers with up to $1,500 dealer cash per vehicle if they hit certain sales targets. Most dealers will not hit the $1,500 level for this program and will receive $400 to $750 per truck. Furthermore, only the trucks sold towards the end of the program receive payment. Dealers will be very anxious to hit their sales goals though so again knowing about this program gives you an advantage.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hi Car_man,

Have you heard anything about the March incentives (including factory to dealer) from DCX for the Wrangler?

Thanks
    Jeff
  • Options
    traciarosstraciaross Member Posts: 5
    Car Man-
    Thanks for the information about the dealer incentives. It will definately be useful to know about them during the buying process. Is it reasonable to think that we can get at or below invoice on an 05 suburban so early in the year? Can't see that any of the surrounding dealers have 04's sitting on their lots.
    Traci
  • Options
    Do you know if those GM $250 certificates can be used if one purchases a GM vehicle through the GMS price?
  • Options
    macarshoppermacarshopper Member Posts: 12
    Hey Car Man,

You answered this question for me a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, I will not be picking up my '05 RX until March 11. Can you tell me if the special financing rates in Connecticut are still in effect?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Car man, Looking at 05 Subaru Forester and Legacy/Outback any rebates/incentives information. Subaru is a hot seller in Northeast, where I am from. I have heard Northeast does not get the incentives other regions get from Subaru. Thanks in advance, Fidorep
  • Options
    I certainly have, Jeff. This month, DaimlerChrysler is providing $750 customer cash and an additional $1,000 bonus for models that are financed or leased through Chrysler Financial on the 2005 Jeep Wrangler.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    You're very welcome, Traci. Traditionally dealers have gotten decent grosses on the Chevrolet Suburban. Having said this, times are tough for GM dealers now. There is a ton of competition out there. Do some comparison shopping with a few dealers and see if you can get an '05 Suburban for around invoice minus the customer and bonus cash. It's definitely worth a shot.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    I am not positive, but I suspect that GM's instant value certificates probably are compatible with its GMS purchase program. Having said this, there isn't much incentive for a dealer to use one on a GMS deal. They don't make a ton of money on GMS deals, though their commissions for sales through this program are actually better than the paltry grosses that they have been taking on some GM products lately. Plus, they know that you don't have to be sold on purchasing a General Motors product.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Yes they are, macarshopper. Lexus' February incentive program is scheduled to run through March 31st.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hi fidorep. While Subarus definitely do sell better in the northeastern U.S. than they do anywhere else in the country, it still provides a similar level of incentives on its models in your area. In your area in March, Subaru is providing 1.9% financing for up to 3 years, 2.9% for 4 to 5 years, and 3.9% for 6 years or $1,750 customer cash on the 2005 Forester XS and XT. Its finance rates are the same on the Forester X, but its customer cash is $2,000. These finance rates are also available on the 2005 Subaru Legacy and Outback. Subaru has not provided much in the way of cash incentives on the Legacy since it was redesigned, but this month it finally stated to provide a little cash support on this vehicle (it is hidden though). Subaru will give consumers who trade-in their current car or truck on a new 2005 Legacy or Outback a $500 cash incentive. It is also running a dealer stair step program that provides Subaru dealers with up to $750 dealer cash per Legacy and Outback sold this month if they a hit certain sales target.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    sballardsballard Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I'm interested in the March 2005 Liberty incentives.
    I know they were pretty good in February,
    $2500 cash and 0% for 60 months. I'm hoping
    I didn't miss the boat.

Thanks...Shawn
  • Options
    hyperlucidhyperlucid Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to purchase an 05 GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado 2Dr Reg cab 4x4 Pickup.

I've read there are instant value coupons do these apply to this style if you know?

Is mentioning the sales quota incentive and poor GM February sales numbers acceptable in bargaining?

I know about the $3,000 rebate or 0%

Thanks for your reply
  • Options
    Hi Shawn. DaimlerChrysler made some significant enhancements to its incentives on the Jeep Liberty in February. Don't worry about the fact that it just introduced its new March program. You didn't miss the truck, er uh I mean boat. It is still providing $2,000 customer cash plus 0% financing for 5 years plus an additional $1,000 bonus for financing through Chrysler Financial ($3,000 + 0% total) on the '05 Liberty (excluding diesel models).

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hello hyperlucid. I am aware of two dealer cash programs that are available on the exact trucks that you are interested in. The first is a coupon program through which GM dealers are given a specific number of $250 certificates, up to four of which may be used on 2005 SUVs and pickups. Dealers have not been given enough certificates to use one on every sale, and many are using theirs to help them unload their remaining 2004 models if they have any, but the fact that you know about this program puts you in a stronger bargaining position than if you didn't. The second program is stairstep program that provides dealers with up to $1,500 dealer cash per vehicle if they hit certain sales targets. Most dealers will not hit the $1,500 level for this program and will receive $400 to $750 per truck. Furthermore, only the trucks sold towards the end of the program receive payment. Dealers will be very anxious to hit their sales goals though so again knowing about this program gives you an advantage. Mentioning this volume bonus program probably will not do much for you in terms of getting you a lower price because the dealer obviously already knows about it. The only reason that I would mention this program would be if the dealer that I was working with kept claiming that they are losing money on my deal when I knew that they weren't.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    philiphili Member Posts: 19
    Hi. The Chicago area had $700 cash rebates for Camry's in February. Now it looks like there's no new rebates. Do rebates typically go from month start to end, or could they have a new offer on say March 15? Thanks.
  • Options
    agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Phili;

I've been watching Toyota's website for a while now. They do seem to update their incentives on a monthly basis. You may find that your local dealers will add to the Toyota offered incentives at the end of the month, but other than that, we'll have to wait until April to see what they'll offer next. (don't quote me on any of that - just my observations :-)
    I've been waiting for the '05 Avalon to get some incentives from Toyota but it's such a hot car right now, I don't think my wishes will come true any time soon.

Can anyone tell me how or where I would find out if there are any pros or cons to buying a new car in either VA or NC? I'm right on the border and am not sure about the taxes and all that. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    tnanocktnanock Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we are in the process of purchasing a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. We have been told that we can get 0% APR for 60 months and $1000, OR $2500 and $1000. We have been told that we can not combine the $2500 with the 0% financing.

However, when I look on Dodge's website it has a link for the "Spring Sales Event". This reads like this: "0% APR for up to 60 months PLUS up to $1000 Bonus Cash PLUS $2500 consumer cash."

Does this mean that you can combine all three incentives? We have contacted our dealer and he has even called his Chrysler representative and both of them are still under the impression that you cannot combine all three together. We are supposed to get back with him Monday to see what we can find out. He has looked at the website and sees why I am confused.

But if you can't combine all three then what does that advertisement mean? It doesn't say "OR" anywhere, not even in the fine print.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    My sources show that the $700 rebate on the Camry runs through 4 April.
  • Options
    Hi phili. So you live in Chicago, huh? I would have guessed Philadelphia. Toyota is still providing $700 customer cash on the 2005 Camry in its Chicago region in March. In lieu of this cash incentive, you can finance this car at 1.9% for up to 3 years, 2.9% for 4 years, and 3.9% for 5 years. Both of these programs are scheduled to run through the end of the month.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Hello tnanock. Last month DaimlerChrysler had an attractive "Cash Plus" program on the Dodge Caravan that allowed the combination of over $2,000 and 0% financing. In March however, the $2,500 customer cash that it is providing on this van can not be used in conjunction with the 0% financing program. A $1,000 bonus for financing or leasing through Chrysler Financial may be though. I agree that the advertisement that is posted up on the Dodge.com site is a little misleading.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    Thanks, Car_man. I was hoping there would still be cash rebates on the 2005 Camry, but edmunds.com, kbb... don't show them anymore and dealership ads have stopped listing any cash back. Can they still have an offer open but not tell anyone?

Phili
  • Options
    You're very welcome, Phili. Some times consumer and manufacturer web sites take a day or two to update their incentives listings. It would be highly unusual for an automaker to go from having $700 customer cash on a car one month to none the next.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • Options
    mikenmarymikenmary Member Posts: 2
    chrysler offers a $1000 rebate if you use there financing on a 05 300 limited at 6.1% i can get a loan at 4.25% i am wondering which way to go, i was told by the salesman i could refinance after three months would this be wise to do so? how do i determin which is the best way to finance
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    there's just 2 problems. one is that, many times, refinancing rates are different than purchasing rates. So you might want to check on that. The other is that rates could easily change in 3 months.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Thanks again. The rebate shows up this morning (3/7) though it wasn't on the sites yesterday. It shows it's good from 3/1 to 4/4.

One other question: besides going to a dealer at the end of a month, does it matter if you go at the end of a quarter (i.e. March 31?).
  • Options
    macarshoppermacarshopper Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Car Man! I hope you realize just how helpful the info that you provide here is. I've already pointed several people to Edmunds in general and this board specifically.

I talked to the F&I guy but he wouldn't budge off 4.99. "It's a great deal. Best we can do. Same rates offered across the country to tier 1 customers. You've got a great deal already on this in-demand car. etc..."

But now the good news. Did some digging and found a local credit union that approved me for 3.5%. 3.0% if I allow payroll deduction. Not a huge savings over the 4.99 but it's mine. :-)
  • Options
    mikenmarymikenmary Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your previous response, i have another question on rebates is the rebate taken from the dealer profits or is the rebate extra profit for the dealer? i guess what i am asking does the dealer get $1000 discount on his cost. the salesman says he is selling me the car at invoice price but he is including the rebate as part of the discount. i hope this makes sense thank you
  • Options
    You're very welcome, macarshopper. Wow, you found a credit union that provides new car loans at 3.0%. Very impressive.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum