Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Agreed. The nose looks bulbous and un-Honda-like.

It's still on my short list, though, as it may be nicer inside than the Venza, and more rewarding to drive. If Honda leaves out the 4-cylinder option, that'll propel me to the Toyota dealer for sure.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Considering how many problems Honda had and still has with the 2008 accord re-design - I would not go anywhere near this car. It will take years to work out all the bugs - plus I sure hope it doesn't have the VCM engine....
  • curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    I was looking forward to see this new model. The trunk will not be much more practical than a sedan (it's not a wagon.) Looking at the curvy roof line - can somebody tell me if a roof rack will work on this model? Otherwise I'll have to look at the Outback, which probably is a better value than this one.

If only Honda would bring the European Accord (U.S. TSX) Tourer I'd be all set.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Since the American Accord is larger than the European Accord Tourer, I think the Cross Tour will have more interior room than the TSX Tourer, even with the sloped roof-line. I think the car looks great, and the Cross Tour may be my next car.
  • ndcienndcien Member Posts: 1
    The Accord Crosstour is UGLY. Some angles on this thing are just nasty. Overweight nose and butt. Did the people who designed the Aztec leave and go to Honda...? With the exception of the TSX, Acuras are starting to lose it too. Honda, what in the world are you doing...? I used to love your cars. Please stop this mess.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    Yeah. I currently own an 08 CRV and am very happy with it. Had high hopes for cross tour to purchase after my lease was up, but it has NOTHING going for it with this design. Honda has blown it with the Accord, Pilot and now this. Have no idea who is designing for Honda
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    That Thang is a genuine Loser. It's 196" long. Really,Honda, all I want is a V6 CRV with fold flat rear seats. You know,like the RAV. How hard is that to do?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    This car will look better in person. The camera angles are poor in the images.

Next month when it's on the lot, I'll take a look. The front end of the Venza is a dog and this will be better looking than the Toyota.
    Since when has Honda been a "Style" leader? You hear owner's say " I bought this Honda for it's quality, or reliability, or it's value, but you don't hear I bought it cause it looks cool. The Accord has won many comparison tests over the years, and not once did the reviewer's say the Accord won on it's looks. Honda takes pride in their engineers, not their designers. Function over form is the rule.
    Elroy's right. Honda buyer's prefer function over form. The Crosstour is 196" long the Venza is 190". I simply don't want a 196 " car. It's longer than a Pilot! Enjoy the race,Elroy. Let's hope the 18 car loses.
    Yikes! 196" Hondas scare me. Give me a 1999 CR-V with the new 2.4L and I'b be just fine. THat big ugly mug is gonna push me back to Toyota.
  • jayrob167jayrob167 Member Posts: 4
    The level of hostility about this car is a bit surprising...it has become a viral nightmare. The current Accord is 194" in length, according to the web. I will grant that the "spy" photos looked better than the photos that Honda initially released. I for one am interested, I like hatchbacks and this sits up a little higher than a sedan for easier ingress/egress for those of us with bad backs. The thing that will probably hold me back is the price.
    I agree that price will be critical to the Crosstour's success. Honda needs to offer a 4 cylinder FWD only model at about $27K. For those that want AWD, Navi, and Leather to go with the V6 will likely be staring at a $35K sticker price. That's too high for me.

I don't understand people thinking 196" in too long. It's a full-size vehicle, not mid-size. Ford's Taurus X is over 200" long.

Let's wait and see what the Crosstour looks like in person. Many a car, like many a person, are not photogenic. ;)
    A CR-V just will not do, for those of us who want V6 power. I think the Crosstour has a good shot at being my next car. I will have to test drive one. The extra interior cargo space would be nice. Maybe I could carry some things in the Crosstour, I have to use the truck for now. I don't like driving a truck, and avoid using it whenever possible.
  • in_power2002in_power2002 Member Posts: 21
    Aw, Honda, I loved you before. Had an Integra, then an Accord. I just couldn't bear replacing the Accord with the current one. Just too hideous. So I thought I'd go the Acura route, but no, the same box hard lines got to them too. I was hoping the wagon would be normal.

Sorry Honda, I've defected.
    The Venza is "only" 190" inches. The CRV is about 180". I prefer smaller vehicles and have other stuff in my garage,so I will not buy a 196" vehicle. I'll just wait for the next generation, which will certainly be smaller.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I think it look sorta weird looking. Almost dated looking. I am not a huge fan of wagons or similar cars like that. But, this doesn't look to attractive. However, I think seeing it in person would help. Many cars look bad on picture, then look great in person.

Honda has really went weird on the styling. Styling is getting more apart of the car buying experience now. Actually so many cars are duplicating each others designs, and blowing up like a blimp. Because people want a bigger car rather than an SUV?
    For example, even the new Subaru legacy is huge and sorta ugly, older looking.

So not just Honda is looking a bit off these days. Honda certainly played it safe with all of their cars, other than the Accord coupe, which should have been used on the Accord Sedan. Would I get the Accord Sedan? Yes I would.

This car? No, its not for me, but would love to see it in person. I love honda.
    I understand blufz1. If extra garage space is a priority then 196" would be a bit too long.

The 180" CRV is a Civic based compact. A different animal indeed. The new Crosstour will be a large car. I'm guessing 130 cu.ft. of interior volume at least and that's with the "lower" CUV roofline.

This opens up the question from a couple years ago when the new Accord was released. Honda doesn't really offer a true "mid-size" car anymore. The Accord is clearly LARGE by today's standards and the Civic is a Compact. This leaves Honda with a significant gap in their lineup.

The answer could be a next-generation Civic like Hyundai's Elantra or Nissan's Sentra with near mid-size volume or an entirely new mid-size model (which seems unlikely).

The European Accord is a smaller TSX sized car. Honda has to be reviewing their options at this point because their U.S. lineup has a hole in it. Toyota has a Corolla, Camry and Avalon. Honda is one vehicle short because the Accord can't cover a 115 cu.ft. Camry and a 125 cu.ft. Avalon with one car.
    I don't think it's hostile to tell the readers of this Forum that I'm disappointed. If you think that I have apparently unreasonable expectation from the modern North American Honda, then I plead guilty. See, I like practical, sensibly-sized, economical vehicles. I loved my 1999 CR-V. It was all of those things, fit my 6'4" just fine, and was fun to drive. But cars and trucks are getting larger and larger, every model change. Especially, Honda. Accords sized like Buicks, and Pilots sized like Ford Expeditions. 1994 Honda Accord Wagon was 187.8 in. long and weighed 3076 lbs.

I've had two small, extra-cab pickup trucks, both 4-cylinder manual trans. Very practical, and economical. I'd like to buy another, but the Tacoma & Frontier have each grown by over 500 lbs. in their last re-design. The facts are there to see. For those that don't notice, or don't care, fine. Many folks do.

Hostile? No. Diappointed? Yes. Just not quietly disappointed. So, still driving my practical, sensibly-sized, economical 4-banger Toyota Highlander. It's not fun to drive though, and I had hoped for something from Honda to bring me back. I'm still hoping, but early signs are, well, disappointing.
  • jayrob167jayrob167 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, the comment about hostile wasn't directed at you. I was referencing the hoards over on Facebook that are ranting about how much they hate this car. The internet backlash against Honda's marketing has become a PR crisis even showing up as new stories on other web sites.

What each individual likes is very subjective, so if you are disappointed that is your right. It is true that Honda's keep growing in size.

I'm interested in a mid-sized vehicle, I like hatchbacks, I like that the Crosstour sits up a little bit for ingress/egress, it has a little more clearance than a sedan for dealing with the occasional snow. (AWD available for those with lots of snow). So I will definitely check it out when the local dealer gets one.
    Oh, I'll be testing it out as well. The 4-cylinder Venza is at the top of the list of the vehicles I've driven, but it's pretty uninspiring to drive. I'm looking for options.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    You should consider the 2010 Equinox.
    It meets your size, power and price requirement.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, it looks a bit rude to me. But so do the other fastback wagon combos like BMW. Not practical, not pretty either. I wish Honda had gone with the more wagon like spy shots instead and made it more like Venza.
    The problem is that these cars are in the "design pipeline" apprx 4-5 years so we will have to wait for the next design generation to get lighter, more practically sized and powered Hondas reflecting today's preferences.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Well, it is not clear what Honda thinks its target market it for this vehicle. If they are aiming at the Venza, then it is too big. 196" puts it in the five meter category which is usually the entry level for truly big cars. Not only that, but more length equals more weight which is crazy at a time when manufacturers should be trying to reduce weight to increase MPG. In any event, from the shape, it does not seem that this will be a practical cargo carrier - longer and heavier without more cargo room, so any Honda fans will likely head for bigger or smaller true SUVs within their own brand. IMHO, I think Honda blew it with this design.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    So, seven inches takes it from "ok" to "too big" and unmarketable against the Venza?

Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the Venza better than I like that of the Crosstour in pictures, but I just don't see 7" being that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Was it a typo? I just ran a Comparison on Edmunds. Selected a 2009 Venza 2.7L, and then compared it to a 2010 Crosstour. Note that the only model shown is an EX-L - that's V6 w/ leather. No mileage data shown: it's "Being Researched". The specs come out like this:

Crosstour / Venza
    Length: 186.6 in. / 189 in.
    Width: 72.4 in. / 75 in.
    Height: 56.7 in. / 63.4 in.
    WB: 106.5 in. / 109.3 in.
    Cargo: 14.3 cf / 30.7 cf

Looks like the Crosstour is smaller than the Venza. The rear storage is not so good: only marginally bigger than the Accord, and less than half the Venza. So now we can have a discussion on how it's not big enough!

Personally, I'd like a trimmer, more agile ride than the Venza. But, if I can't get my golf clubs to fit East-West in the trunk of the Honda, then 2010 Venza moves back up the list - again.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    No, seven inches does not automatically make it "too big" but it definitely puts it into a different category of cars. That was my point. What is Honda targeting here? The Crosstour may be a great car, but it will fit in fewer garages, hold less cargo, and probably get fewer MPG than others. I just think that if they were really aiming at the Venza, they could have done a better job of sizing this car, in all respects.
    I don't think the CT is aimed at the Venza. I think the CT and the Venza are aimed at SUV owners, who are looking to downsize. If I were in the market for a new car right now, the Cross tour would get a tryout. I think it's a great alternative to the CRV. I am a car guy, not a truck guy, so the CT appeals to me more than the CRV.
    The size is just a function of the fact the Accord is 195" and this "Thang" is just a 5 door Accord. The Camry is about 190" and so the Venza is also about 190". My 02 V6 Accord is running well @ 100k,so my current plan is to drive until Honda gets us a diesel or builds something I really want that will feel "new". My 02 EXL has all the features of 09 cars.
    Well, if that poster below mine mentioning the smaller-than-Venza Crosstour is correct, that's not necessarily true! :)

I'm with you on liking a torquey motor. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear my 4-cylinder spin up to 5k+ rpm, but after climbing a local "mountain (about 1,500 feet) in my parents 3.5L Taurus with three in the car at 2,000 RPM, where my 166hp, 160lb-ft Accord would be spinning at twice that at the same speed, I loved the six cylinder. Gets about 24MPG in my driving route; my 4-cyl Accord brings about 29 these days. Some days, I wouldn't trade for a V6. Some days, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Lol. Hi Grad. Hope you are well. I wish it were 186 but I've seen 196" several times and that fits with it's Accord roots. Honda is releasing more info on it on 10/1 on their website. Best regards.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Competition in this segment is going to be intense.

The Accord Crosstour will have to compete with the redesigned 2010 Subaru Outback. One big advantage for the Outback - AWD is standard. The Outback will be a lot cheaper than the comparable Crosstour trim level with AWD.
    Would be a detriment for me, not an advantage. I live in Central Alabama. We got the most snow we've had in 9 years this February; 2 inches.

AWD adds more weight, more friction/driveline loss, and delivers a considerable MPG penalty. Give me FWD any day.

Different strokes for different folks. As for me, PLEASE make it optional. I wouldn't buy any car that came standard with something that only cost me MORE money.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I wonder if CrossTour with AWD will come with manual, or like the current CR-V, it will be Women's only edition with automatic and a purse hanger?

Maybe a diesel with 6 spd, and AWD?
    Sorry blueiedgod but it's very unlikely the CrossTour will offer a manual transmission. The low take rate on a stick shift would not be worth the time. We may see a 6 spd tranny sometime but it will be an auto.

I'm hoping for a I4 FWD model around $27K in LX trim. I like the look of the CT and laugh about all the comments regarding it's 196" length. It's a full-size car for pete's sake.
    Help me understand (not being sarcastic) why the Crosstour in base form might bring $5,000+/- than the $22,000 180hp bestselling CR-V. It doesn't havethe premium look of Venza, or the Cargo space.
    It doesn't have the "premium look or cargo space of a Venza". Wow! - come in Rotterdam come in. You're breaking up!

First of all: quote me the cargo volume on the new CT then take a picture of the Venza's grille. Maybe Honda should price the CT below the CR-V?

The CR-V is a Civic-based compact. The CT is a full sized vehicle.
    CT, CRV, Venza - those pigs could all use a little lipstick!
    CT, CRV, Venza - those pigs could all use a little lipstick!

///////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Reminds me of a joke: What is the difference between a woman with PMS and a pitbull?

Lipstick! :P
  • msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    What happened to Honda giving out more information about the CT on 10/1?? Are they too busy fending off the negative comments on Twitter and Facebook to follow up like they said they would?

I want to see the real specs....direct from Honda. I might be interested in looking at it further if the length comes in at 186" and not 196". (196" is just too long for me). The MPG will be a factor as well. Backseat room will also be important. I am not thrilled with the look of the front-end (same designer who redesigned the Acura front-ends?) but that should make them less desired and thus less expensive.

Is anyone making a well-appointed wagon that is reliable, durable, of a decent family size (read: enough backseat legroom) and gets great gas-mileage? (A hybrid would be nice). I am surprised there are no hybrid mini-vans out there either......I don't want one but many, many families probably would.........
    Interior pics posted on Honda website. Small,below floor, trunk w/ tray a la Ridgeline. Seats fold 60/40 flat. Looks good for light cargo handling.
    I'll have to see this one in person, but the pix look like the rear end took styling cues from a 47 DeSoto or something. It seems very bulky looking.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    As a former and current owner of Honda/Acura vehicles, I am particularly galled at the design direction that Honda has taken over the past couple of years. The new front-end that all the Acuras have been sporting currently and the PARTICULARLY bad rear-end of the Acura TL. I just wonder how the rear end of the TL got approved and into production. :mad: Normally, after a polarizing design gets released, it takes me a bit to get used to it but the distaste for the rear-end of the new Acura TL has not dissipated after all these months. Clearly a very poor and distateful design. Yuck.

The new Cross-tour is another abomination that some newbie, right out of design school, came up with, and managed to get past all the censors and right into production. This particularly offensive creation should not see the light of day at a dealership and Honda should apologize to their clientele to even have thought of introducing it and withdraw it from the market. I feel THAT strongly about it.

How difficult would it have been for Honda to ape the European makers like BMW or Audi for once, and create a slick looking Accord based large wagon ? Why would they go and create this mess with its stupidly slopy and bulbous rear (which takes away usable space) and expect it to be well received by the people who would be its potential buyers ? Why would the manufacturer who created the Honda Fit, which is a marvel of Interior packaging and slick design, go ahead and create this embarassment ?

From the front until the B-pillar, the design is good and then swiftly goes downhill from there. Honda used to be known to prioritize function over form. The Accord Sedan in particular has both form and function and is a very slick design. Why would this nasty "cross-tour" creation then take birth, as an off-shoot from the slick-looking Accord platform, to then reside along these other nice Hondas ? I am personally embarassed for Honda for having created this 2010 version of the Pontiac Aztek. :sick:
    Inside Line says no 4 cylinder availability! That really surprises me in today's market.

I felt sure Honda would offer the 190HP I4 from the EX Accord Sedan. No such luck.

Any guesses on a starting price for the LX V6 CrossTour? I'm thinking $28K if there is an LX version and $29K if they start at EX trim.
  • roadwarrior6roadwarrior6 Member Posts: 21
    i totally feel you. this design is a joke. nobody is gonna buy this POS. the interior is nothing more than a stretched accord sedan, absolutely nothing original. this is not a crossover! it is a honda accord hatchback that offers very little extra cargo area compared to most crossovers. for those few that buy the joke on wheels the looks you get will not be envy it will be what the #*&@ is that? I wouldn't buy simply for the fear that it would only last a couple years and the resale value would be worthless. All the negative feedback on facebook is right, Honda kept this pig a secret because they knew they had crapbox to begin with. Honda makes nothing I wan't and that is a shame. Toyota has nothing to worry about with their Venza, it wins hands down. I fear the Acura ZDX will suffer the same fate, $55K for techy Accord hatchback? no thanks, I will take the Lexus any day.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    If you think about it, the CrossTour is the Accord Hatchback. I almost bought a 1987 LXi, but opted for a 4 door one.

Then, in the 90's Honda had Accord Station wagons. Problem was that people buying cars at the time have grown up riding in the back of Buick Estate Wagon and had a rebellion against station wagons. The SUV craze of the late 90's killed station wagons except for a few from Volvo and BMW.

I think, I am ready for a mid-size station wagon (European Accord Tourer?), especially if they offered it with 4-cylinder diesel, AWD, and Manual priced around $25,000 with the EX-level ameneties.

Honda was late with the station wagons in the 80's, and got burned by having them in the 90's. Now, they are missing their opportunity to sieze the market rebellion against SUV's. Many people would gladly ditch the gas guzzling SUV's for a more fuel efficiant Station wagon, IMHO.
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    Like others, I'm looking for a vehicle that offers (A) good passenger room for 4 or 5 people, (B) good cargo capacity, (C) safety, (D) decent looks, (E) good mileage, and (F) a reasonable price for what you get. The Toyota Venza seems to fit the overall bill. I have yet to see the Honda Accord CrossTour but tend to agree with others that it'll be a disappointment in comparison. Others I'm considering are the new 3.2L FWD Volvo XC60 (18 city/ 27 hwy) and new 2.5L AWD Subaru Outback.(22 city/29 hwy with the CVT automatic). The Volvo costs a little more but, having driven it and tried out its safety gadgets, I can say that it is in a distinctly higher class, not to mention that it has the most comfortable seats and is now offering a 5 years/60,000 miles warranty with free maintenance. And its mileage in the 3.2L FWD version is surprisingly good for a vehicle in its class. The Subaru is "a sleeper" that one could easily overlook. It's very functional and doesn't have the nonsensical, space-robbing, rear end slope of the Honda. And 22 city/29 hwy for the 2.5L version is nothing to sneeze at for an AWD vehicle..
    I look at this as a start in making cars that do more than just point a to b. The XT is an activity vehicle which is a good idea. More ground clearance,towing capacity,and utility than a car. I would venture the next accord and therefore XT will be smaller and more in tune with today's needs. Let's just hope Honda can "polish" this idea into a more desirable size/design by the next generation.
  • msherimsheri Member Posts: 1
    The car looks better "in person" than the photos show. If you do not like the current Accord, you will probably not like it. My personal opinion is that the vehicle will fill the niche for those who do not want an SUV, but want more flexibility for cargo. The seat folds very easily, into a flat cargo area. The AWD option will appeal more in northern climates. The interior is car-like,not truck-like. The glass in the hatch makes backing much easier than in similar models. It is like the CRX hatch design, a layout copied by Toyota and Pontiac from the CRX.