Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Kiranarrise, I don't necessarily agree with the statement that you should walk away from this car if it is not a VW Certified Pre-Owned unit. There are plenty of good non-certified used cars out there. In fact, I know of many dealerships for many different vehicle manufacturers that don't even bother to go through the 200-whatever point inspection process they they supposedly do for all certified used vehicles. These dealers just treat them like they would any other used vehicle. The real advantage of Certified Used Vehicles is the extended warranty that they come with, but if you really want one you can just purchase one on your own.

It is difficult to evaluate how much money a used car or truck is worth without actually seeing it. Vehicles' values will vary quite a bit depending upon what condition they are in and how many miles they have on them. Also, used vehicles can be worth considerably less money if they have been in a major accident or have had paintwork. However, if I had to guess, I would say that the Edmunds.com True Market Value price of $16,800 for a 1999 Passat GLS purchased at a dealership is fairly reasonable.

Even though many people speak about the reliability problems that Volkswagens have had over the years. I think that the post-1998 model Passat has proven to be a fairly reliable car, minus a few electrical issues here and there. Granted, it's no Civic or Accord in terms of reliability, but few cars are. It is difficult to say exactly how long this Passat will last if you purchase it, but if its properly maintained this car should last quite a while. Overall the Passat is a pretty nice car.

Car_Man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    The reason that I made that blanket statement is that every Certified Pre-Owned
    unit counts as a new car for the puposes of APV...Today...if a VW Dealer
    does not Certify qualifying cars...Less than 5 years old & less than 75K ...
    It is probably because it cannot be certified...Accident, etc...
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Well..

There's not enough info here to say yea or nay.

Mileage? Color? Location? $20K for a 35K mile one in Puerto Rico is a steal...

Equipment? If it has 60K miles its a very bad deal. If it has 20K miles or so, is in a good color (Silver) and has a lot of equipment (Leather, moonroof, automatic), then it can be a very good price.

Like VWguild said and beat me to, if its' at a VW dealer and isn't certified, something is quite possibly wrong. If its' at a Toyota, or BMW or Independent dealer, then it obviously can;t be a VW Certified car! :)

Hope this helps.

Bill
  • rrrumblerrrrumbler Member Posts: 1
    If I am not mistaken, doesn't it cost the VW dealer somewhere around $300-400 to certify a car with VW? If that is the case, it seems that the dealer would have to under-allow by that much on a trade value or charge on a retail level, one way or the other. In a very competitive market, this could make things a bit of a difficulty . I can't see that a non-certified used VW from a VW dealership automatically makes it a bad car. Some dealerships would certify a non-certified car at the customer's request (final selling price being factored in).
    The trade in value, in California based on Kelley Blue Book guidelines, stays
    the same, always somewhat back of book...for *CYA*. The procedure for
    evaluating a trade does not change.

In order to *Certify* a VW it has to be thoroughly inspected. If the car has been
    in an accident, even minor, where *Acme* parts were used to repair; those have
    to be replaced by genuine VW parts. Additionally, any other repairs or refurbishments
    have to be done with genuine VW parts...nothing rebuilt.

Your number is very close...It costs $300 to Warranty the car, plus whatever work is
    done. However, and this is the important part, this *Certified Pre-Owned* now carries
    a 24Month/24,000Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty( wear & tear excluded ) and 24
    Months of free RoadSide Assistance. This runs concurrently with other existing
    factory coverage. For example, let's take a '99 Passat that has an *In-Service* date of
    January 3, 1999, and has 32,000 miles on the clock. The individual that buys this
    Certified Passat will get the aforementioned B2B, RoadSide Assistance, 9.3 Years/ Unlimited
    miles of Corrosion protection, and 28Months/18,000 Miles of the remaining PowerTrain
    Warranty...Compare that to the Standard Used Warranty that is 90 DAYS/3000Miles and
    whatever is left of the attendant factory warranty...in this case 4Months/4000 Miles of a
    3/36 Honda, Toyota whatever...

Should this *Certified Pre-Owned* carry greater value and a higher price tag than your
    basic used car? I would hope so...

And I am not just blowing my horn here for VW...I believe this to be true regarding
    any used car purchase. If you want a VW than these are the ones to buy, but if you
    want a Lexus go to a Lexus dealer and avail yourself of the same opportunity, or
    MBZ, or Toyota...It doesn't matter.

But Certified Pre-Owned are NOT used cars in the traditional sense and will cost more...
    typically, Retail Kelley Blue Book.

And if there is a VW that qualifies, in terms of age & miles, on a VW lot that is NOT Certified; Buyer Beware!!!!
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    That would be ridiculous on many 1-2 year old cars. Some very late model used cars, like 2000 models, have a retail KBB value that is so high that it is around the same price you could buy a brand new version of the same car for.
    Maybe a car that is difficult to find new, like a PT Cruiser, could realistically command retail KBB value from a desperate buyer who was too impatient to wait for a factory order.
    The reference to Kelley Retail was a general one, as a *Guideline*;
    like any suggestion from a 3rd Party that is not actually involved in the
    Buying or Selling of a car...

The gist of the post was to point out the difference between a *Used Car* and
    a *Certified *Pre-Owned*.
  • debteddebted Member Posts: 12
    I have a dealer offering me $500 over invoice on a GLX Passat wagon (not 4 motion) that I order. This seems like a great deal to me. Is this a good price? I haven't figured out financing yet, but will probably do that on my own.

also, any thoughts on the best color with grey leather interior? we're thinking either the blue silver or fresco green.

thanks in advance for any comments...
    Fresco with Grey is most popular at my store...You will also want to make sure
    that the price you mentioned is an *All Inclusive* one...Based on the general
    lack of availablity of Variants, $500 seems a bit desperate to me...
  • debteddebted Member Posts: 12
    when you say ALL inclusive, do you mean that I should expect the invoice+500 to include such things as tax and dest fee? other than that, what else would be added since GLX has everything? am I totally off the mark here (which could very well be since I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to car buying)? the only add-on we've discussed is the CD player, since we don't know when in 2002 VW is going to include that as standard equip (very frustrating). dealer quoted me $325 on an in-dash CD...

I actually hope that this dealer is desperate -- desperate to get me as customer ;)

as for the color, thanks -- I'm leaning toward fresco, but spouse wants silver-blue. decisions, decisions
    Yes, *All Inclusive*, to me, means Destination, Port Prep, FloorPlan INTEREST
    Reserve...$550.00, $25.00, & $92.00. There may also be a Regional Advertising Fee.
    That can vary from $5.00 to $100.00 or so. I pay none, but if it is a legit fee it will
    show on the Invoice in the same font as the rest of the Invoice and should be a
    *reasonable* amount...examples...The CD price is appropriate and if you make
    sure that it is installed before you take delivery it will be part of your 2002 4Year/
    50,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

Be aware also of ADP fees(Added Dealer Profit). VWOA pays for the Pre-Delivery
    Inspection of your new Passat; not the Dealer. Document Fees are fixed by each
    dealer and they cover the expense of taking care of your local DMV Registration and
    making sure that all Documents are filed properly with that Agency...We charge $45...
    some stores in N.J. charge $98...That should be about the ceiling...

If this is a cash transaction that pretty much covers it...If you are financing this purchase;
    you should go to www.equifax.com and get your FICO(Fair Isaac Score) $ 8.50 and
    secure your own loan through a Local Credit Union...they typically have MUCH better
    rates than Commercial Banks. Volkswagen Credit has NO subvented rates for any
    part of the carline for August, but we do have 6.99% for 24 months if you score 740+.

Anything else...email me!
    The editors here at Edmunds.com just introduced their latest article on the Volkswagen Passat. I thought that I would share the link to it with everyone in this discussion: Road Test: 2001.5 Volkswagen new Passat GLS 1.8T Sedan. Enjoy!

Car_Man
    Host
  • mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    Hey carman, a post of mine was used in the consumer commentary for the Passat. I was wondering how much I would be paid and when the check would be mailed. :-) I know I have had better posts than that one so Im curious why my best "stuff" wasnt used.
    Thanks.
    Mulfomi, I would be happy to forward your royalty check to your home address, just as long as you remember to send me my kick-back ;). Seriously though, I am not involved in the selection of which quotes are used in that particular section of this site. You may be able to get more information on how Edmunds selects the quotes that they use by e-mailing your question to editor@edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • cloud12cloud12 Member Posts: 7
    All I will say is I should have walked away when I got this line...The sales person at the dealership where I bought my car told me that to get the cd player installed (not the changer - just the player in dash) would be $695.00 !!!!! I raised my voice in questioning that price since it was quoted elsewhere and all over the net as $395.00. The price for the changer on line was $695.00...they told me $395.00 is what the dealership pays for it and then they have to install it (which you and I know takes all of 10 minutes)....if I was smart I would have walked away but instead negotiated and brought the selling price down anyway but they would not give me the cd player for $395....I don't remember the exact price because they did not itemize my final bill-invoice. I really wanted to trust my dealership and subsequent to the sale and problems with the financing deal I can not recommend them. They are liars.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    In the dealer's defense I think $395 sounds cheap for a factory system. We used to figure $450 cost where I sold Subarus, and it wasn't any harder to install than on a vee-dub.
  • kcc3kcc3 Member Posts: 13
    I wanted to share a strategy that worked well for me. I contacted a few local VW dealerships and asked to speak with their Internet Sales Manager/Person. After reading many of the posts, especially ones from VW guild, I figured the internet personnel would be fairly knowledgeable and used to making deals over the phone. I got a good response from one of the dealerships and began discussing a 2002 Passat Wagon 1.8T, auto, leather, luxury, monsoon, homelink. After only 3 short phone conversations we agreed on a price of $500 over invoice + TTL. We picked up the Silverstone Gray, with black interior beauty on 7/20/01. I would recommend this strategy to friends and family.

I am know looking to add some accessories to make our car even more enjoyable.
  • passitpassit Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 Passat GLX in Atlanta and paid 27,999 plus tax. I got the 5 spd manual transmission and the 6 CD changer. With the 7% tax, this came to 30k total drive out including all fees, etc.
    $28K plus tax for a 5 speed even after a discount, so that would be over $29K for automatic. More than an Acura TL.
    I'm still somewhat tempted, but I think I will wait for the 2002s to be discounted a little more heavily before seriously considering it. I love the looks of a 2002 GLX with Fresca Green paint and beige leather.
    With the 4 year warranty and the right price, I may take my chances for the looks of the VW, but taking the car back several times a year for repeated repairs will still be a huge hassle even if there is no charge.
  • ispsxc1ispsxc1 Member Posts: 12
    Got a dealer's quote on 2002 GLS sedan (automatic, leather, luxury, homelink, monsoon, and dealer installed in-dash CD) for 25,500. Is this a reasonable price?
    Thanks, Steve
  • esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    What area of the country and which dealership, if you don't mind sharing?

If you don't want to post, you can email the info at esqknight@aol.com

I live in NYC, btw.

Thank you in advance
  • tellerteller Member Posts: 14
    While it looks like some of you (lucky ones ) have already bought your 2002 Passats, I still can't get ANY info on pricing-the Dealers here in Colorado have none- nor, it appears, does Edmonds, nor the VW website. Does anyone have reliable info on invoice/list pricing for the 2002 Passat GLX , 4motion, and will it change with CD player phase-in?
    The pricing info for 2002s is exactly the same as 2001.5...
  • alohaguyalohaguy Member Posts: 2
    I've been checking dealers in Phoenix for a 2002 1.8 Turbo GLS Automatic w/leather, luxury, monsoon and so far the best price is $25267 plus tax, license and doc. fees. Does this sound resonable and should I be pushing for the in-dash CD for this price? Any advice is much appreciated.
    Hi teller. I have seen the pricing for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat and would be more than happy to share it with you. Right now the Dealer Invoice price for the 2002 Passat GLX 4-Motion is $29,016 and the MSRP is $31,575. Neither of these prices include the destination charge, so you will have to add in another $550 for that.

Car_man
    Host
    He will also have to add $25 for Port Prep & $92 for
    FloorPlan INTEREST Reserve...
    Someone has a 2001.5 GLX. Blue Anth/Black on eBay... Private owner.. might be a deal...

Bill
    I'll bet he picked up one of the deeply discounted units that some
    Dealers have been selling to try to reach a bogey related incentive...
    And then trying to sell it to a less sophisticated buyer...
  • caryaloncaryalon Member Posts: 16
    What would be a reasonable price for this car, in your opinion? It seems like leftover 1.5's are going for about invoice now, and they have the full 10/100,000 warranty, not the 5/50,000 that a second owner gets. What is the value/reduction for the 7100 miles? Please let me know what you think - I may drive out to look at this car today. Thanks.
  • jkipsterjkipster Member Posts: 270
    You should be able to get the leftover 1.5's on dealer lots for below invoice due to the manufacturer to dealer incentive. Some dealers will not be willing to pass that rebate on to you but shop around. I ended up buying mine thru carsdirect.com and got it for 900 below invoice. With the extra you save you could get an extended b2b warranty. Plus the included 2 yr sched. maintenance of the 1.5's vs. the 02's will put you ahead.
    2001 Passat
    2010 G37S Sedan
    2013 G37xS Sedan
    2014 QX60
    2015 Q40
    2016 QX60
    2016 E350 Sedan
    2017 QX60
    2019 E450 Wagon
    2021 Sienna XSE AWD
    2022 Lexus RX350
    2022 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
    2023 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4WD
    Shows $1,200 below invoice. Of course, there's no saying the dealer has to sell for that!
  • esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    I was thinking about buying a 2001.5 because of the rebate savings, but after comparing the carsdirect prices for 2002 and 2001.5 GLS, the difference in price with the same options was only about $1,000. Add $300 or so for the in dash CD player included in the 2002, and then the 2 years extra warranty and the price difference is very small.
    You don't get the CD with the 2002s for another month or two. The CD player is "late availability."
    2002s with the new AM/FM/CD/CASS are on the ground today...

First units arrived in Wilmington, Del. on the 20th of August...Scheduled
    *Rolling Change* began week #32; not #33 as I had earlier mentioned...
    "always promise less than you can actually deliver".
    That's good. The dealers I've been to on the west coast still have 2001.5s and have not even received the first batch of 2002s that don't have the CD yet.
    Dealerships will not see Passats so equipped until the end
    of September...
  • grabber33grabber33 Member Posts: 4
    Just signed off on my 2002 passat glx 4 motion lease tonight on the east coast. The cd player was approx 300 extra but residualized in the lease. Got the car for 500 over invoice with 39 month residual using 15 K miles/yr being 56%. 36 months same scenario 58%. The money factor is .00245 equating to a interest rate in the high fives. Although there are some 2001.5 out their and they have a 1000 rebate the lease numbers are higher fro the 2001.5 and you don't have the better warranty. Hope this helps those in the market.
  • ffxvwffxvw Member Posts: 93
    Not to sound like I'm bragging, but we just got our first units in with the CD Player! Its really nice, and is definitely a big improvement. There are separate dials for bass, treble, balance, etc...
    It also has a dial for manually tuning stations, and a large display area.

Jason
  • gkj1gkj1 Member Posts: 3
    Edmunds is showing invoice base price of 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 5A (without 4 Motion) at $27,187 (before destination charge). As I understand it, the 2002 pricing is the same. A dealership I have been talking to is stating that base invoice price is actually $28,004 for 2002 (as well as 2001). Is this true??
    If you take Edmund's Invoice and add Destination, then add $25 Port
    Prep & $92 FloorPlan INTEREST Reserve, two items they Refuse to
    include...You will find that the missing $150 is most probably a Regional
    Advertising Assoc. Fee. These fees are billed to Dealers depending upon
    their Market, and are a part of all Invoices for all makes & models of cars
    sold in the US, but do not appear on Websites because of their individuality.
  • geneggeneg Member Posts: 1
    Dear grabber33 (Mike is it?), can you please e-mail me the dealer and the contact that you have used?
    geneg@kandasoft.com
    Thanks
  • wwvwwwvw Member Posts: 1
    How much should I pay over the invoice for a factory order to the dealer? I mean, for a 2002 Passat GLS wagon. How long does it usually to take?
    Thanks.
    You should probably expect to pay a bit more for
    something that is custom ordered for you...just as
    you would with a suit or a shirt...What that exact number
    is will be determined by you and your VW Rep.
  • gkj1gkj1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info on your message #1341. Unfortunately, the invoice price the dealer quoted me of $28,004 for the 2002 Passat GLX V6 5A (w/o 4 Motion) is BEFORE Destination, Port Prep, etc...the dealer itemized Destination & all other fees in addition to the invoice price. The dealer insists that $28,004 is the BASE invoice. All other invoice prices we discussed with the dealer appeared to be consistent with Edmunds, except this GLX pricing.
    He must be using a different Order Guide...Breaks down like this...
    Base Price 2002 GLX(3B35S5) Tiptronic= $27187.00
    Destination= $550.00
    Port Prep=$25.00
    FloorPlan
    Interest Res.=$92.00

TOTAL = $27,854.00
    MSRP = $30,375.00
  • grabber33grabber33 Member Posts: 4
    gene, I got the passat at burlington vw in burlington, NJ. My salesman was Chris Farnham he was very easy to work with and gave me the best deal in the area on the car I wanted. Call him at 1-888-263-0086
    My info matches Jason's..I could see a $28,004 total invoice if he has regional advertising.... But Base invoice?

Miscommunication on his part perhaps??

Bill
  • driver2001driver2001 Member Posts: 1
    thinking abt a '02 passat GLS, manual, lux package and leather. anybody knows the best price around HOUSTON or DALLAS?
  • ctcarctcar Member Posts: 3
    Hello can anyone recommend a good CT VW dealer? I am interested in a 2002 VW Passat GLX 4 motion what is the going price?
    Sure, Tim, but where in Connecticut? Most of us old Yankees don't like to travel much.