Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    lgreenelgreene Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to hear from others about the viability of this offer:
    It's a trade in on my 1995 Avalon xls, mileage 123K

the money factor is .00057
    36 mo - $332 /mo, inc. all taxes (tot $11,952)
    MSRP 27,500
    Buy out $15,512

any input would be appreciated :confuse:
  • Options
    lastorylastory Member Posts: 13
    Just got my new Passat. Here were the numbers:
    2006 2.0T, Auto, Pkg #1, Dynaoaudio, 48 months, 12,000 miles. VW pull up program, they paid the last 4 payments on my 2003 Passat lease.

Agreed upon value 26811.17
    Gross Cap Cost 27386.17
    500 customer loyalty,
    Adjusted cap caost 26886.17
    Residual 14107.5
    Rent charge 2341.33
    $600 total drive off
    $315 a month $340 with tax.
    HOW DID I DO?
  • Options
    amateurguyamateurguy Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I see a lot of information on leasing a 2.0 but I want to buy one. Am in SW Pennsylvania and am looking at the 2.0T with the P2S Pacakge and 4A3 butt warmers the Blue Graphite color.

MSRP shows approx $27,455 with invoice according to Edmunds of $25,372 and TMV of $26,222. Anyone have experience with OTD pricing with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance! :confuse:
  • Options
    llkltkllkltk Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of leasing a 2.0T Passat. They trucked it in from another dealership. It has 71 miles on it and is a new 2006 Sedan. Should I be concerned about the mileage, is that high for a new car, 71 miles? What to do?
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That is not allot of miles for a new car that was "shipped" in from another dealer. A Demo with 10K miles on it is still considered "new" since a title has never been issued on it. Both of the VW's I have owned were driven in from other in state dealers and they had over 200 miles on them. No worries.
  • Options
    deejay2099deejay2099 Member Posts: 36
    Took delivery of a black 2006 Passat 2.0T Value Edition with the 16" alloy wheels that come standard on the non-VE 2.0T (these are not an available option on the VE but I got the dealer to add them in for me).
    After contacting the internet sales manager and settling on the basic terms for the lease, I drove over to the dealership so they could look at my trade (a 2004 Honda Accord LX).
    Long story short, I ended up leasing the car for 36 months with 12K miles per year. They paid off the Accord plus $300. I gave them my first payment of $300/month and I was out the door. I am really happy with the car so far and am extremely happy I upgraded the wheels.
    My out the door price including sales tax and fees was $300/month with $600 down ($300 out of pocket and the $300 from my trade).
    I think I did pretty well considering the current promotion VW is offering on the VE (without the alloy wheels) with the $600 down - would have had me at a payment, including tax, of $326/month.
    Hope this maybe helps someone on their deal.
  • Options
    car2mecar2me Member Posts: 3
    Just bought Passat 2.0T, auto, pkg 0, rearside airbags.
    $23,000

:D
  • Options
    xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    THE BEGINNING:
    I had a less than pleasant buying experience to say the least. The car arrived 10 weeks after the order was placed. The salesman never called me to give me updates during the 10 week wait period. I needed to follow up with the sales team to get information about my car. I requested price quotes on accessories for the new wagon via email but never received the correct information except when I finally contacted the dealer by phone.

THE MIDDLE:
    The sales manager appraised my current vehicle but never called me with a quote! How rude! Once again I had to f/u with the dealer. The SM said he gave the quote to my salesman. My salesman never called me.

The End:
    I told the SM that I didn't want to be represented by the original salesman and the sm agreed.

I financed the car over three years. The dealer marked up the factory offer of 2.9% to 3.9%. A one percent mark up?
    The dealer also passed along advertising fees as part of the invoice price and a 25 dollar port fee.

The dealer only apologized for all the poor communication along the way. The dealer didn't offer a complimentary first oil change. As for the accessories, I was given the number of the parts department for further assistance.
  • Options
    A simple question.....Why did you still buy from them??? Did they earn your business with their professionalism?
  • Options
    dannyben33dannyben33 Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    Can someone help me out and tell me if this is a good deal?
    06 2.0T. Package 1, and Nav. 1500 miles.
    25,195. I'm going crazy trying to find a new vehicle and this one seems to be a potential winner.

Thanks!
  • Options
    The price I got on a lease offer for the same package was about 27,500 which also factored in a trade in value of 1500 against bank fees , down payments etc. If you're buying and are looking for really better numbers, have you considered a 2005 with 20-30k , you'd still have plenty of warranty protection and could be saving at least 4k more. We're pretty close to the 2007's and you might do even better on a 2006 if you wait a few months, but if you decide to take it , you're not getting hurt at 25,200. Keep in mind , the vinyl interior doesn't breath as well as leather. I like the package 2.
  • Options
    shade22182shade22182 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Passat / 2.0T / Auto / Door liner; iPod hookup; mats; trunk liner...for $23,000 out the door.

Purchase experience was fantastic.

Good deal on the car?
  • Options
    igenovigenov Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a new, 2006 3.6 Passat from Osborn VW.
    The car is loaded with Sport package #2, Nav. system and the MSRP was $38,400. After "some" negotiations, I was able to drop the purchase price to $34,400 ($800 below the invoice). The car is fantastic, drives like a most superior, luxury cars out there.
    Any way, just wanted to share my experience the the price.
  • Options
    chrisutleychrisutley Member Posts: 8
    I don't have the worksheet on this deal, but after shopping around it was the best I could do... Can anybody confirm this is a competitive deal? I am supposed to go in tomorrow to take delivery, but I'm going to keep shopping until the last minute to make sure I'm not getting ripped.

2006 3.6 Black/Black Passat
    Luxury Package #1
    Dynaudio

- $1000 cash out of pocket at delivery (includes first payment)
    - 36-month VW Credit Lease
    - 12-miles per year
    - $474 per month (taxes included)
  • Options
    fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    igenov - Was $800 below invoice the price that comes up on Edmunds or KBB or the dealer invoice (which typically runs $300-400 more than Edumds or KBB)?
  • Options
    cdaattractioncdaattraction Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a passat also but dont know how to hagle, so how much money did you put down for down payment.
  • Options
    Actually, the invoice price was exactly the same per Edmunds and what the dealer showed me (the actual invoice from VW).
    I am sure the dealership did not give it away, but in any case I was happy with the purchase because for this price this is the best car out there. I looked at a few BMWs and a car with all the options would have been around 40K.
    Will see how this car performs in a long run...
  • Options
    I put only 3K down and financed the rest. Leasing was not an option as this is the car I we will use a lot and hopefully will put on lots of miles without any issues. :)
  • Options
    Congrats, and may I say nice job on the purchase price. We just bought one like yours, 3.6 with sport package 2, NAV system, Dynaudio system, side airbags. Our purchase price was $34,800 against $38,650 MSRP. In addition however our sales tax is only 4.3% in my area so that helps...
    The car is great, drives like most luxury sedans out there.
  • Options
    zeegeezeegee Member Posts: 2
    I haven't made purchase yet, but would like to get ideas on whether the price I got is a good deal. OK, here are the details:
    06 Passat 2.0T. package 2, 17in wheel, rear airbag
    before tax $25,500
    docs & registration fee $200
    The tax here is 7%
    Any comments? opinions? Thanks!
  • Options
    What's the MSRP?
  • Options
    zeegeezeegee Member Posts: 2
    MSRP Price:$29,180
    Invoice:$27,299
  • Options
    As far as I've found , thats an excellent price for a new 06 , it must be because of inventory levels there and the new 07s because thats got to be at least 2k under MSLP :shades:
  • Options
    Great job on getting a great price. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    winterhoundwinterhound Member Posts: 4
    My buying experience has been good across a couple of weeks of test drives. Had the opportunity to compare the standard suspension to the sport. Definitely thought the sport was different: much better handling AND nicer fitting seats! Decided to Order--supposedly it would take 6 weeks. Another posting indicates this may end up being closer to ten weeks....

Price: MSRP was $39,010; agreed upon $36,800. I don't mind leaving some money on the table over invoice (I figure around $900), but after reading some of the "deals" on 2006 sedans, I'm thinking I could have paid a lot less. Any Comments?? They've got my $500, no papers have been signed.
  • Options
    4mointhesnow4mointhesnow Member Posts: 1
    have been negotiating for a day, and am at $28,000 out the door on a car that's has msrp of 34000. it's about 7500 off msrp. i've heard of people getting this car for 22.5 but my dealer won't budge. there are two sitting on the lot. this is in ventura CA Does $28000 out the door sound fair? car is 05 with 600 miles on it from test drives.
  • Options
    Winterhound,

I would suggest check out www.fitzmall.com and compare some of the prices that they offer on Passats. I actually printed out few pages from that website and took it with me when purchased my Passat last week. What I have learned was that even invoice price is still negotiable as I paid about $800 less than the invoice (actual invoice from VW, the dealer shoed me and compared to Edmunds.com).
    In any case they were very happy with the deal so it looked like they did not give it away. So here is something to think about, invoice is not the bottom price!
    good luck
  • Options
    crissythechefcrissythechef Member Posts: 3
    I've been shopping around for the last month for the best deal on a 2006 3.6 Passat w/ Lux Pkg 1. Yesterday I think I found it, but would love some input on the bid.

The dealer is in Mpls. It is the Deep Black with the Macciato interior. Here are the details:

2006 3.6 Passat w/ Lux Pkg 1, floor mats & trunk liner
    MSRP: $33,515.00
    Invoice: $30,801
    Cost: $27653 (Not including TTL)

Got VW dealers incentive of $3500 and Costco Auto Program discount. What do you think? I want to make a decision today.

What do you think? What am I missing?Thanks!!!! :confuse:
  • Options
    sdoo25sdoo25 Member Posts: 25
    Does your final cost of $27,653 include your incentive of $3,500? If so then your cost before TTL and any reductions is about $400 over invoice. About a month ago I leased a similar car, 3.6 w/Lux #1 and DVD Nav for $500 below invoice before TTL and any other reductions. Don't know where you're located, but I leased mine in Tampa, FL.

Check fitzmall.com and you'll see that most, if not all, of their Passats are offered below invoice. Your deal seems fair to you and the dealer, but you may be leaving some money on the table. It would seem that you should be able to get them below invoice.

Tom
  • Options
    crissythechefcrissythechef Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the final cost of $27,653 does include the $3,500.00 incentive.

I'm in Minnesota. But I will take a look at fitzmall.com.

Thanks!

Chris
  • Options
    yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    i'd like to get a deal like that! is it a 4 wheel drive? and did you get this deal in nyc?

also can anyone address what the maintenance issues and history is like with the Passat? Consumer reports doesn't recommend it...says it's unrealiable (has a spotty maintenance record). I'd like to make a decision by friday. i would appreciate any info i get. also it seems that all passats run on premium gas...is this accurate as well?

thanks again all!
  • Options
    joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    WHy don't you just give them your money?

Why bother to take the car, since they're stealing from you?

You can get a new 2006 Passat with a Package #1 for roughly that price.
  • Options
    Dude...the post you replied to was from 2000.
  • Options
    joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    Wow. I didn't even know this forum has been around for 6 years.

Thanks Fish Man.

(On a side note - Hey, look everyone! Deflation is occurring with respect to new car prices! That should make you feel a little better about $3/gallon gas!)
  • Options
    msoaremsoare Member Posts: 12
    Hello everybody. I'm also in the market to buy a new 2006 Passat Sedan 3.6l 4motion, either the base model or the Luxury Package #1.
    Up until now, i've looked at 2-3 dealerships and the prices that i've got until now are 27,300 for a base model.
    What do you think would be a good price, considering i don't need dealer financing?
    I've been looking also at the above posts and checked fitzmall.com, and i've seen people getting prices well below the invoice ( i mean thousands). Thanks a lot everybody!
  • Options
    bayarea_vwbayarea_vw Member Posts: 1
    I received the following quote from a local dealer:

"2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition Automatic = $21068. plus any options, sales tax, DMV license fees, doc fee and CA tire fee, MSRP on this car is $24655.

I have a 1994 Nissan Maxima with 112,000 miles that I'd like to apply via trade-in. Is the above quote a good price? What can I expect to pay for monthly? I would expect $1500 - $2000 for my vehicle.

My last question: Can I expect a lower dollar amount when the 2007 Passat's are out? If so, when are they expected?

Thanks for your assistance,
    Mike
  • Options
    lstonelstone Member Posts: 8
    msrp of 06 ve is $24,025 accoring to edmunds.

I was told by a sales the 07 sedan will come out in late Aug.

Also in the market of a passat 2.0t(non ve)..did you get a quote for it?
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Based on local carsdirect prices, fitzmall and some other postings on a VW enthusiast site, it would seem that there may be around a $2k manufacturer to dealer rebate on 2006 2.0T Passats and a $4k rebate on 2006 3.6L Passats. It doesn't include the wagon, though (which is a 2007).
  • Options
    sailsasailsa Member Posts: 4
    I am about to buy a 2006 Passat 3.6L with sport package #1, MSRP of $33,615. The have received an offer of $26,215 which is $7,400 off MSRP. Assuming that VW is giving dealers a $4k rebate on 3.6L Passats, this is another $700 below invoice. To me this seems like a great deal and I am ready to buy, but before I sign tomorrow I was just wondering if anyone had any input. Is this a good enough price or should I ask for more?
  • Options
    tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I was looking for the rebate info, but couldn't find it... Edmunds doesn't show anything on VW, and carsdirect only says "special pricing available" for '06 Passats.
    Does anyone know reliable source for mfg rebates on cars?
  • Options
    My last question: Can I expect a lower dollar amount when the 2007 Passat's are out? If so, when are they expected?
    Actually with leasing , the lease price is based on residual value and the newer the car is , the greater the residual value,
    you probably wouldn't get as good a price on a '06 than an '07.

Also , your trade in would only be regarded as a wholesale car since mileage is over 100k and its a '94 , I'd say you'd be lucky to get 1500. I have a 95 Toyota Avalon XLS and the best I got was $1500 as a trade in . If I sell it myself, I might get as much as $3000 at this point .
  • Options
    I just agreed to the following: 2006 VW Passat 3.6L with Sport Package #1, MSRP of $33,615. Final offer was $25,915, which is about $5,000 below invoice. The dealer also threw in the all weather floor matts and trunk liner for free as well as one of the VW umbrellas for the door. After 8% NYS tax and DMV fees, my out the door price is $28,056. This was a far better deal than I thought was possible and am very happy with the car. Good luck to everyone else out there, I don't know why you would buy a different midsize sedan when these types of deals are available from VW.
  • Options
    lstonelstone Member Posts: 8
    great deal!
  • Options
    oh man, how did you get that deal? they wouldn't lower the price with my below 26,700 for a base model with a MSRP of 31,900. What did you tell them? anyways, congrats!
  • Options
    Basically, I took my time and worked two dealers off each other. I started looking at the 2.0T Passats and even through that was the car I really wanted, I pretended that I was more interested in other vehicles, such as the Sonata, and made it clear that price was very important to me. I also had my brother come with me, who drives a Hyundai, and he would make great comments about how I could get a V6 Sonata for less, etc. Over the course of two weeks, the dealer kept contacting me and I kept delaying saying I had to test drive other vehicles or was waiting on another offer, etc. This delay makes the dealer sweat and he also gradually dropped his offer. Eventually I started serious negotiatins on price and by comparing the 2.0T to the V6 Sonata was able to get the dealer in Rochester to offer $5,000 off. Then I contacted a dealer in Syracuse who offered $5,400 off to earn my business. Then I asked him how much he would take off a 3.6 model and he offered $7,400. I contacted the dealer in Rochester and got them to match the $7,400. Finally I contacted the guy in Syracuse again and asked him what he could offer to make it worth my time to drive there to get the vehicle instead of just picking it up in town and he came back with $7,700 off. I said I would take it if he threw in the all weather matts and the umbrella and he agreed. As an aside, the dealer in Rochester is now managed by the old manager from the Syracuse dealer and the two dealers are #2 and #1 in upstate NY so there is a lot of competition between the two. This is the first car I have bought, but based on my experience I have a few tips:
    1) Take your time, if you need to buy this week the dealer has the advantage. If you can wait and the dealer knows you can wait then he has to convince you to buy the car now.
    2) Let the dealer know you are comparing multiple vehicles so that he has to convince you to buy his car. Even if you are only interested in VW's, pretend you aren't because if you only want one brand of car then the dealer has the advantage.
    3) Invoke a higher authority. The salesman always has to consult the manager to make an offer, you can do the same. Any time I received an offer I told the dealer I had to consult my brother, the car expert, first. I rarely called my brother, but this gave me a chance to contact other dealers to see if they would match the offer and also made the dealer have to sit and sweat waiting for me instead of the reverse.
    4) Once you find the car you want, find two dealers in the same region who are competitors and play them off one another. They will get frustrated and complain to you about how you are taking away any profit, blah, blah, but in the end they will do as much as they can to keep the competitor from getting the car.
    At least this is what worked for me. Good luck!
  • Options
    inincubusinincubus Member Posts: 11
    I've been talking to the local dealer's internet salesman. and I was offered:

2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T
    w/Cold Weather Pakg. ($225)
    w/Rubber mats and liner.($185)

MSRP: $27,215
    Invoice: $25,037
    Edmunds.com TMV: $26,281
    latest offer: $25,050

I've seen many people paying for passat way below the invoice price but they were talking about 2006 passat,not wagon. The sales person said that there isn't much discounts compared to sedan models as they dont have that many wagons in stock.
    So I was wondering if this is a good deal for a 07 wagon.
    (I live in seattle area.)
  • Options
    bat60bat60 Member Posts: 12
    Sailsa, Great deal. ??? On the price you negotiated I'm guessing you bought it out right. But, If you wanted to lease it at that price could you ?? I have a few more months on my 03 lease so I have negotiating time.. Thanks
  • Options
    chriskojalichriskojali Member Posts: 5
    Invoice price seems to be the lowest price on 2007 Wagons. My dealer was prepared to go down to about $200 over invoice but I got them down to invoice price. I had them swap a sirius headunit for the XM that was on my car...they wanted to charge $100 labor but I had them throw it in the deal.

I got a black 2.0T wagon with package 2, navigation, and 17" le mans wheels. MSRP was $31,800, invoice $29,216, selling price $29,200. I feel I got a good deal since I got a very fair trade in value on my high miles 2004 Touareg. I think you could work a lower price...I could see $500 below invoice on a well optioned car or a car with an unusual color.

I absolutely love everything about the car, the color, the nav, and even the wheels. Normally I get aftermarket wheels but I don't see a point with the Le Mans wheels. They complement the car perfectly.
  • Options
    tc9897tc9897 Member Posts: 6
    I have received several email quotes on the 42- and 36 month lease for a 2006 Passat 2.0T VE (auto transmission). MSRP is $24,655 and Invoice Price $23,248. The best one I got so far is:

1) With $1000 down, a 42 month lease with 10,000 mi pr yr and $1000 Out of Pocket is $334.60 per month.

2) A 36 month lease with 10,000 mi pr yr and $1000 Out of Pocket is $342.56 per month.

Other breakdown is as follows:

$993.28 NJ Tax

$334.50 1st month payment

$129.00 Doc Fee

$7.50 NJ Tire fee

===========

$1698.38

The dealer claims that "these fees are normally what's required up front. You are only putting down $1000. The difference is applied to the lease."

My question: How can I know for sure whether this is a great deal? I know that there is a special lease deal going on right now (42 month/ $1,500 down payment, 12k miles/year for $279 per month plus tax and tags) , but it is not clear whether the quote above is comparable to it. Could the other leasers of Passat out there give me some advices? I would appreciate it.

terri
  • Options
    what do you say about a Passat 2.0T 2006 sedan(base model, but not the value edition), for 20,300 ? msrp 24,850
    Is this fair enough?