Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    No need to feel bad about it, you got an amazing deal. Those vans were not that much cheaper than the Ody/Sienna when they were knew (maybe $2-3 grand). The original owner took a bit hit but you got a deal.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    chances are, you are going to take a bath on the car.
    What is the current payoff?
    If you are too far upside down,you may not even get a loan or lease on the new car.
    Banks are cracking down on rolling trade inequity into new contracts.

Your best bet may be to wash it in gasoline and dry it with a match :D
    Thats's a joke BTW. :P
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Your best bet may be to wash it in gasoline and dry it with a match

There used to be guys in parts of Boston, probably still are, who would make that happen for a couple hundred$$.......

But Has anyone noticed, that the worse the economy gets, the more people there are (here) who seem crazed to dump almost-new cars at a considerable loss, to buy a brand one that doesn't seem all that much better?
  • Options
    But Has anyone noticed, that the worse the economy gets, the more people there are (here) who seem crazed to dump almost-new cars at a considerable loss, to buy a brand one that doesn't seem all that much better?

Those people are always around.
  • Options
    pollivierepolliviere Member Posts: 5
    I am in the car business and will try to give you some insight into your problem. Because your car is a lease you have a prestablished payoff figure. that information can be found in your original lease contract. You will be responsable for that amount plus all remaining payments on your lease. Not knowing your details I can still tell you that the total amount of those two items will be much larger than the resale value of the car. that being the case you will have to come out of pocket to payoff the remaining amount.

The other problem is the value of the car, the trade value today is $9,880 for a car of average condition. A dealer would offer you something south of that figure, if he offers more you can be assured that the differance is buried some were in the deal. Anuther problem is that a large number of your car went to rental companies so quite a few are floating around looking for a retail home thus driving the value of the car even further down. I don't think you have a way out of this car without laying out some serious cash. My suggestion is to hold on to the car or look for a new car with program or rebate dollers on it that could help offset you reamining balance.

Good Luck, Peter :shades:
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Thank you all!!

I am going to keep the car. However, I will get quotes this Spring to see exactly where I stand at a year into the lease. I am just so mad at GM, and realize that my car is nice for what it is. Certainly not a Honda, but a nice car. GM and Honda not in the same class. I have driven both. I should be so lucky to have a newer, nicer car.

So I need to be more grateful. I just never wanted this car, never would have chose this. I had to choose this car in order to lease another car for a family member. They couldn't obtain a new lease. They get to drive the 08 Jetta SE. Guess what I had to give up to get the VW, an 06 Accord! But, then I needed a car, I had to choose a GM car. VW wouldn't let me have the Accord or trade for another VW and still obtain the VW for the other person. I am a student with limited credit back then. Apparently good enough to lease 2 cars. The dealer was very nice, helped me out, It was bad for me.I am over it now though. I did a good thing. I did a nice thing. I have grown to actually love this car. I just hate the engine! Aww, I am so nice. Gotta love it. :):blush: But, when I get to drive the 08 Jetta, it puts a smile on my face! After all I still own that too. Every now and then I get to drive it.

Sometimes its good to hear others put things into perspective.

I appreciate all the advice. I'll keep it! Its not a bad lease either I am only paying $319 a month total on the lease. For a loaded G6, except the V6, that is great. Apparently, my salesmen stated that cannot be had right now.

I crave the day, I turn it in, and get my Honda or the new Acura TSX! I am going all out!
  • Options
    newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    I'm 2 years into a 3 year lease and am very happy with my 4runner, but a job change means I will need a pickup. Would love to get a new Tundra, but I'll just have to wait as like you, the numbers don't add up.
    Your family member is very lucky to have your help.
    Best wishes, DQ
  • Options
    Just a thought, but what about getting a tow hitch and then a utility trailer?
  • Options
    newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Thanks for the idea. Actually, I already have an 8x10 Pace trailer, but I occasionally need to move a larger trailer (6-8K total weight) and have to get someone else to move it for me. My v6 is rated for 5k.

Am wondering what my 4runner is worth; 07 SR5 4wd V6 with 29k miles, sunroof, towing, roofrack, very good condition, all dealer service, 50% tires, 65% brakes remaining. 18K residual, 5K+ remaining payments. If the Tundra is about 33K OTD how much cash might I be looking at if I paid cash for the Tundra?
    Thanks for any ideas, DQ
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, I am really going to have to wait, apparently if I want to trade out, I would have to come up with 7k-9k to be put back on top! Give or take from that amount. Roughly. That is the average amount. G6's are selling really low. So that sounds right per the dealer. No way would I want to roll in money into the new lease. Oh well.

I am happy for now. its okay! :)
  • Options
    omegagenomegagen Member Posts: 67
    I'm looking to trade a 2005 BMW 330i w/ 52500 miles, red, grey int., wood grain, prem. & sport pk, performance pk, auto, lotsa rubber on the ground, paint is shiny with very few nicks. Maintained at dealer....Southeastern NC.

Looking to buy a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8. ...red, w/ 27800miles, loaded, nav included. What should I offer???

Thanks for any thoughts you put towards my post!!!!
  • Options
    pollivierepolliviere Member Posts: 5
    Before I try to answer your question I need to mention some facts about how pricing works. The only value a car has is what did a similer car sell for at auction that day. Any other number is speculation. When I give a number it is based on the auction values that support retail and trade values.

The other point is that values of cars for the most part ignore all the options beyond the norm. As an example you pay 2K for a NAV system but on trade in it returns very little if any value. cars are graded clean, average and rough and the values are based on those conditions. Most dealers will want to pay rough or just over rough for a car and then resell it at clean values if possable. So for this qustion I will give rough values and you can make your judgments from that.

Your 330i today has a rough retail value of 14.7K with a trade value of 11.6K. The SRT-8 has a auction value or wholesale of 21,350 against a rough retail amount of 24,350. depending on the condition of the SRT-8 I would try for 22.5 or less but no more than 23,500.

Peter
  • Options
    4Runner is probably worth somewhere between $17-18k
  • Options
    Bimmer is worth somewhere in the $13-14k range.
  • Options
    skopiecskopiec Member Posts: 14
    Posting for a friend...

Arizona
    '07 VW GTI
    2.0T 6 speed man (not DSG)
    16K Miles
    Silver
    Package 2 - leather, climate, roof, 18" wheels
    Excellent condition
    CPO
    Offered up by a VW dealer - what's a reasonable price?

Thx,
    Scott
  • Options
    Should go in the high teens.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Good choice kiams. Go over to the Mazda MPV forum. I used to hang out there. Some very knowledgeable people on that board. The MPV has a few nagging issues but no more than any other minivan. It should serve you well.
  • Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Hi,This is a follow up post regarding my vehicle purchase after my previous deal fell through.
    I want to trade in a :

2003 Dodge Durango-SXT- 2WD SUV - 4.7L V8 engine [Texas]
    67k miles[ Just did 60k mile service at dealer,cost me $700]
    Blue exterior with black cloth interior
    Good condition
    New tires with 85% tread left
    Options: ABS,Cruise,Keyless entry,tow package

The minivan I am looking at is:

2004 Nissan Quest S model [minivan] -3.5l,auto,FWD
    60k miles
    Red exterior with brown cloth interior
    Good condition
    Tires 70% tread left
    Options: ABS,cruise,Keyless entry,ESC-not sure

The autocheck and carfax reports are clear.

So,what should be my final OTD price after the trade in?Is $ 2000 workable? I also have to consider the fact that 2004 Nissan Quests are not very reliable.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    So,what should be my final OTD price after the trade in?Is $ 2000 workable?

I don't think so.
    Your truck is worth $4500-5000 wholesale.
    Quest wholesale is @ $6000, plus dealer markup.

Maybe you could trade for a $3000 difference
  • Options
    Thanks a lot volvomax for the reply.Appreciate it.
    Will try to start at $ 2000 and see where it goes from there.I would buy it immediately if we agree on the price.
    Will update as to how it goes on Monday.
  • Options
    I was thinking over the weekend-is it worth trading the 2003 Durango for the 2004 Quest.Especially b`cos of the quality problems coming up for the 2004 model.It has 60k miles now and I plan to keep it for about 60k miles more at the maximum.The a/c compressor was replaced at 30k miles at the dealer.
    Would i encounter any major problems with repairs or would I be OK.
    Do you folks think- I should do this deal or should I just wait.The Durango is fine,,but it is aging with the interior looking ancient.The quest had an amazing interior relatively and was more spacious.Also car fax shows regular dealer maintenance with 1 owner.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    is it worth trading the 2003 Durango for the 2004 Quest

It's at best a "lateral move", IMO. Unless there's some pressing reason to trade the Durango. And when you trade one $5K car for another $5k car at a dealer, a lot of the "difference" you pay may just go for dealer profit.......

I'd wait until you "need" a new car, & then try to get a significantly newer, lower mileage, more reliable one than the one you have. just my 2 cents.....
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,274
    An SRT-8? Dude, keep the BMW. If you want a more "extreme" car than the BMW, look for a WRX.
  • Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Just to let you know that a local dealer has one with 14,000 miles for 16,500. So I bet you will be lucky to get 16,000 what have you got for it.
  • Options
    Find out if that engine wants premium fuel. If so you're not going to save much on gas.

Some VQs require premium fuel, that would eat up any gas savings.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,961
    In the Quest? Nah.
    I run regular in my G35 without any issues whatsoever. I actually get better mileage compared to premium, to boot. Weird, I know, but true.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    At one point someone told me they recommended it for the Altima, perhaps not any more? Old wives' tale?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,961
    well, "recommended" and "required" are very very different. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Hi,thanks volvomax,robbie and others for your replies.I sold the van today to a honda dealer for 18k.A lot of other places offered 16-16.5k.I think there was a demand for the odyssey at this Honda dealer.
    But,yes,I am very very very happy at this deal.Could not have done any better anywhere.Again,I was extremely happy.The dealer cut me a check for 18k.And there was no haggling.A great dealer though,,I must say,,very hassle free,no pressure,no scare tactics- started at 17.5k,,,,ended at 18k.He told me some 2009 demo models had more than 550 miles which I had on my van.I guess they are going to sell it as a used Certified Honda vehicle.
    Thanks once again to everyone.Really appreciate all you folks.
  • Options
    Thanks Peter! The current market conditions has placed me upside down about $4K for "rough" and I put money down too! Man even BMW's are taking a beating!

Thanks again!!!
  • Options
    Oh, I need to clarify something for sake of argument, my BMW is a looong way from rough. I'll probably keep it.

To Corvette....As for the suggestion of getting a WRX, those things are hideous! Not my style, yep, I like big v-8's that rumble and smooth BMW's. NO Subarus for me! Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Options
    sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Looking for an average auction value on the following:
    Southeast Louisiana
    2007 Honda CRV LX 2WD
    22,000 miles
    Excellent condition, all service completed

Thanks
  • Options
    Avg @ $13,000
  • Options
    MobyJayMobyJay Member Posts: 4
    Southeast Ohio
    2006 Scion Xa
    Auto
    Silver - Ext, Black cloth - Int.
    1st owner, no dent, no accident, exellent condition
  • Options
    nm_socalnm_socal Member Posts: 29
    Year/Make/Model: Toyota Prius 2008 (purchased in Oct 2007)
    Body Style: 4dr hatchback
    Engine: 1.5L
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 20,300
    Color: Silver metallic exterior. Dark gray interior
    Major Options: Leather seats. Bluetooth integration. FOB key (leave it in your pocket). Reverse camera. Single CD (plays MP3)

Condition: Excellent. Some minors stains on carpet. Can be shampooed. .
    Tires - 80% treads. Original.
    Brakes - Original. 70%+
    Maintenance - Purchased prepaid maintenance plan from a dealer, covering all oil changes and scheduled major maintenances (15k, 30k)

Other: No damage
  • Options
    vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Probably worth $15000.00 trade-in at a Toyota dealer on a good sunny day on the last day of the month one hour before closing.
  • Options
    Trade in @ $7000
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    - Columbus, Ohio
    - 2003 Toyota Highlander
    - 3.0 V6
    - 4WD (or AWD, whichever they came with)
    - Just under 30,000 miles
    - Gold exterior/tan leather
    - All options except running boards and tow package (side bags, VSC,
    moonroof, roof rack, rear "wing" deflector)
    - A couple of very small dents on upper part of driver's door (with broken paint),
    otherwise perfect body and interior
    - Tires and brakes are likely original
    - Probably needs 30K service
    - No prior body repair or anything that would show on Carfax

This belongs to a co-worker who bought it new. She's thinking of trading on an '09 RAV4. Book values seem high. What's a real world trade number?
  • Options
    ronpaulroxronpaulrox Member Posts: 2
    Year/Make/Model: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    Body Style: wagon
    Engine: Turbo 2.5L
    Driveline: AWD
    Mileage: approx 5000
    Color: white
    Major Options: gold BBS STi wheels
    Condition: clean - no dings to speak of, no spills inside
    Tires - new
    Brakes - new
    Maintenance 3500mi done w/ synthetic oil
    Other: dealer installed sat w/ underseat woofer/amp

thanks
  • Options
    dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    Great price. Interesting it's well above auction. This report, plus others I'm hearing / seeing, makes me wonder if dealers are now aggressively pursuing good used cars, to the point of paying above auction, because

1 - there are more people willing to buy used than new now
    2 - percentage profit on used remains higher than on new

Anyone have thoughts or data on whether trade-in / dealer prices for used cars are edging above auction for late-model good condition cars?
  • Options
    Probably a $10-11,000 car.
  • Options
    Figure somewhere @ $19,000
  • Options
    Seeing it with certain SUV's. The auction prices being above KBB Wholesale.
    Don't know if minivans are seeing the same numbers.
    The "book" has fallen so far so fast on a number of vehicles that the market(ie consumers) are paying above book because the dollar price looks like such a great deal.
    As long as this continues,dealers will pay more for these vehicles.
  • Options
    I'll be in Sweden @ the Volvo Factory starting Sunday. :)
    So, if anyone needs a number on a trade hopefully someone else here can help you out.
    Be back in a week.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    Have a good time!

Let us know what you find out over there.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    I would like an average auction value/trade value on the following
    2007 Nissan Armada SE 2WD
    26,000 miles, Excellent Condition
    Southeastern Louisiana

I don't see too many of these for sale (in my area), so I am curious if this is the time to trade in or sell private party

Thanks
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Thanks so much - have a great trip.
  • Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    I am seeing used ones for sale at 30,000. If trade is 19,000, then I guess they could go out the door closer to 24,000? That is a lot of car for that price.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Hey volvomax, you provide a heck of a service here and we all thank you. Enjoy your time off and your time in Sweden....on the other hand, if you had a laptop... :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Heck yeah I'd give him $19k cash for it tomorrow sight unseen. I'm close by, too.

I'm not really even looking for a car like that but at that price I'd re-consider!