Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I double checked after reading what the dealer offered.

As stated above, the SL is the top model.

Although what you are seeing is still cheap.... too cheap? Base model 2012s with 30k are trading for roundabout $14k-14,500 at the block.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I've bought a few of these for the company fleet....so I'm kind of familiar with them. After reviewing the ads, it appears the "SL" models I mentioned earlier were not actually SL's. Multiple dealers had them advertised incorrectly. That being said, the SL basically just adds leather so it's not exactly loaded by any stretch..none of the 4cyl Altimas are loaded. Regardless there are tons of S models listed in that price range.

I'm just thinking as a buyer...if my choice is an '08 with leather vs a '12 S model...for similar money I'd take the '12 every day because it's an updated design and has a few features that weren't available in '08. Dealer might just not think it's worth the risk.
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    Q,

This message thread led me to double-check with my Mom. Turns out she has an Altima "S" not an "SL". This must knock the value down somewhat, I'll guess?

Sorry about that.
  • Options
    uhhh, yup.
    In that case, $9500 is fair enough. Could probably push for 10.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    She should so keep this puppy unless she has more $ than G-d as it's still brand new...heck, my '06 Civic will hit 40k tomorrow and it ain't going nowhere unless my son wants it...even though I really want something new! Does she just want new to buy new or is this really something she needs to buy? Especially at her age, how much does she really drive anyways. Guess I'm just too logical & practical when it comes to spending. Heck, I'm still going back & forth about my new car stereo and have not moved on it yet! Though I do plan to gift the kids with new iPads once my small inheritance comes in.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with the Altima, she's just convinced herself she needs something "safer" i.e. something that sits higher off the ground. I agree at 80 there's no point in buying a new car, it's a total waste of money. I only hope I don't lose my sense when I get that age.
  • Options
    I just helped an elderly relative move from a sedan to a new Honda CRV. She absolutely loves it and finds it much easier to get in/out. If she can afford it and wants it....who cares? Someone will certainly appreciate her low-mileage trade and put it to good use.
  • Options
    That is the same reason that I want to ditch my Civic eventually for either of the two small utes in the title...I want to sit a bit higher up and need a vehicle I can slide over into since I hate to fall into my Civic especially with my bad spine. So I do understand her reasoning on this and definitely plan to eventually do this in the future. I am leaning towards the Hyundai or possibly the Kia Sportage though a Subaru Forester is also going to be on that short list.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Qbrozen ...

A friend of mine is looking at this 1997 Jaguar XJR Supercharged one owner with about 51K miles on it. It seems to have went to auction about two months ago. It looks in excellent shape and has only had about 10K miles put on it in the past 10 years. All the book retail values are in the 6-7K range, but they have it listed near 12K. I am curious what something like this would wholesale for. It seems to be in superb shape, but the DOT stamp on the tires (although the tires look new) are from like 2004. So I am thinking if the dealer did not change the tires they most probably did not do much in the way of fluids, etc. So I am thinking it would not be unreasonable to dump about 3K in this thing from the get go even though it looks perfect.

Would appreciate it if you have any info on this that went to auction in the Michigan area in February.

Thanks!
  • Options
    bern4bern4 Member Posts: 3
    Need help can't get a real trade in value. Looking to trade my c300

East Texas
    2010/Mercedes Benz C300 Luxury 4matic
    4 door
    6 cylinder auto
    mileage 23000
    Black
    Options: premium package 1. ipod adaptor, alloys, moon roof
    excellent condtion
    all maintenance done by mercedes.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I see a black one in detroit on 2/21 but with 52k miles. could this be it? It sold for $5700 and was reported as above average.

An average condition one with 53k sold in NC for $3700 just 1 week ago.

• Options
    about $21k.

• Options
    happypilot1happypilot1 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    sandman_6472 wrote that "..heck, my '06 Civic will hit 40k tomorrow and it ain't going nowhere unless my son wants it...even though I really want something new!"

! IDEA !
    *sandman_6472 has their own topic or forum: "MY OPINION ABOUT CARS"*

sandman_6472 posts opinions in a whole bunch of the Edmunds' lease (or) buy forums... Honda's, Toyota's, Ford's........ now it's the Trade-In Values Forum? What relevance to the forum topic was that answer???

Honestly, we'd all could care really less about the many opinions posted about how cars drive (self professed employment as car-jockey).

In the Honda Civic Lease/Prices forums pushing the Hyundai Elantra (?????) last month.

Over a multitude of posts she keeps reminding us about the 2006 Civic she has and how she's not gonna buy another car for a while or she may give it to a "kid" of hers.

Sorry but sandman_6472's just wastin' space: forum members need a "forum ignore" button, huh?]
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Sandman's posts are quite well received over on Chronic Car Buyers Anonmymous. His tastes are sufficiently different from mine that I at least occasionally skips some of his writing.

I suggest you do the same.

The post you were answering to was very much on topic.
    As far as wasting space: that's kinda why we're here :)

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I may not read every word of sandman's posts (or anyone else's), but I do enjoy reading his reviews.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Here it is.

It supposedly was sold at an Ohio auction on 04/08/13. Funny thing, the shop that took itto auction(International Auto Outlet in Hamilton, OH) still has it listed on eBay Motors.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    hey, its my car!

well, almost .... i'm confused by that hole where the auto dual climate control should be. What the hell is that? It has sport, premium, and CWP, just like mine. So why doesn't it have the auto dual climate?

Low tire warning? Better check for cracked wheels! Although that's pretty much impossible without removing the wheels.

Closest one through manheim is this:
    04/11/13 CINCINNA Lease $21,100 32,568 Avg BLACK 6G A

That's also the cheapest one. 2 others with 58k miles got $22k each. Go figure. Could be that Cinci one was a stripper. No idea. Or it could be it was still too cold in Ohio that time of year, while those other 2 were in Nevada. Your guess is as good as mine.

I paid $24k for mine about 17 months ago with 42k.

• Options
    Funny thing that the dealer who still has it listed on eBay Motors has negative feedback on their profile due to leaving a different vehicle listed on eBay Motors despite having already sold it.
  • Options
    jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    I enjoy Sandman's posts and like Mathias said "wasting time thats why we are here!"
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Sorry but sandman_6472's just wastin' space: forum members need a "forum ignore" button, huh?]

Well, aren't you just a breath of fresh air.

Skip what you don't like & read what you do.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, that was a special moment.

Handled.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    melann278melann278 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to find out what a fair trade value is.

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE
    2.4l automatic
    Mileage:26300
    Color: radiant silver/gray
    Major Options:: homelink/auto dimming mirror; ipod cable
    Condition:a few minor dings, but otherwise excellent condition. All maintenance current and done through Hyundai dealership

Thanks!
  • Options
    I posted the original question - seems like I kicked up quite a fuss!

As an update, my Mom is trying to decide between a CX-5 and an Edge. I think you get more car for the money with the Edge, but it's up to her.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Interesting because the Edge is so much bigger.

Not an Escape?

CX5 is small. Fold the rear seats, and the headrest hit my front seat. I had the move the front seat forward to fold it.

Edge will use a lot more gas. A lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Happy, you seem to be very "unhappy" but hey, it's your problem not mine dude. I post where and what I want...aren't forums set up like that? Ya don't like 'em, scroll past dude...don't matter to me! I've been in these forums for years and years and have seen folks come and go just like yourself. As someone who has been to hell and back these past few years, these forums have helped me when things were very bad...I apologize to no one for anything!

Also, I am a retired 58 year old guy who has a passion for cars and has a very positive and worth while life. Comments from negative folks like you mean nothing to me and I will continue to post where and what I want to. In the future bud...scroll on by! :-)

I am, The Sandman

• Options
    She likes the Escape, just not as much as the CX-5. I suggested the Edge because it seems like you get more car for the money right now. Ford has a $3K incentive on them, so a CX-5 GT is about the same price as an Edge SEL with leather.

I did some math and explained to her that the mileage probably isn't a concern. Since she drives 6,000 miles a year, the difference between a 25 mpg car and a 30 mpg car is 40 gallons of gas, or roughly $160/year. Not the deciding factor, for sure.

I'm a little biased towards the Mazda, since I've owned a Speed6 for about 7 years with few issues, but I rented an Edge on a business trip last year and I have to say I was impressed.

She's going to test drive the Edge today, so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Have driven both the Edge and Escape at work and definitely prefer the Escape due to it's smaller size, much easier to drive in my opinion but the mileage figures are pretty much the same. I really like what Ford did with the new Escape's interior especially since it really is very modern compared to the older model and even the Edge. Being a Mazda owner, they are great vehicles and bullet proof...all depends on which drives the best to her. Personally, I prefer a smaller vehicle.

The Sandman

• Options
    Same here, but some people like big cars, and I'm sure the Edge will feel substantial. A lot of folks buy by the pound.
  • Options
    Right now, my favorites are the Hyundai Tuscon and the Nissan Rogue but would consider the Ford Escape if the other two do not do it for me but I think they'll be fine choices.

The Sandman

• Options
    $15k-$15,500

• Options
    melann278melann278 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much. That's the range we thought as well which is why we walked when we were offered $13K and the most they would come up was $14K. Since we had negotiated the new car price prior to going to the dealership it felt like they were taking from that discount by reducing the trade value.
  • Options
    salesguyjaysalesguyjay Member Posts: 22
    We recently brought in same year/make/model ... with about 8,000 miles less on it...

We gave $15.5K for it...

Add the 8K miles you have and i think 14.5 - 15K is reasonable. The SE is one of the harder Sonatas to find especially in good condition. So if i were you i'd push for the 15 and settle for nothing less than 14.5!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, hi Jay! Looks like you just joined us and wanted to welcome you to the forums. We could use a few more salesfolk around here, so glad to see you pop in with a few good answers (so far).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    salesguyjaysalesguyjay Member Posts: 22
    I did just join :) Thanks for having me! Hopefully i'll have some good input every once in a while to share! :)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Welcome! There's also a board called: "Stories From The Sales Frontlines" that you could go over & tell your war stories.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    racing_s2kracing_s2k Member Posts: 6
    I am looking for a real-world estimate trade-in value for:

2008 Toyota Prius
    Color: Silver
    Mileage: 120,000
    Options: Touring. Package 6 (Navigation, Leather, Bluetooth, JBL...)
    Condition: Good
    Tires: 80% life

Thank you

This is a fleet vehicle driven by one person and maintained, with all records.
  • Options
    Tough one with the miles. Should be somewhere in that $7k-8k zip code, methinks.

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    happypilot...you are dissing the wrong person.

Sandman hass been a valuable member of these forums for many years and is well respected by all of "us".

You, on the other hand with your ***8*** posts are an unknown who has yet to earn any respect and you aren't starting out well in that regard.

You do have an "ignore" button. It's called your scrool wheel on your mouse.
  • Options
    Newbies. ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, it's funny because the main reason she wants to buy a new car is she doesn't feel "safe" in the Altima. Somehow a taller vehicle, even if it's smaller, makes her feel safer.

Gave her something to think about when my wife told her that taller vehicles can roll over easier. True, even though my wife was just trying to stir the pot a little with her mother-in-law :)
  • Options
    Mass helps more than height does.

But mass helps in passive safety but hinders active safety, in other words accident avoidance.

For sure I've avoided wrecks in my Miata that my minivan could not have dodged, no way no how.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thumbs up for mass and height. I was hit head-on awhile back in my Nissan Pathfinder....coincidentally the car that hit me was an couple year old Altima. I won that battle by a WIDE margin. He largely went under me and caused a small crack to my bumper cover. He was towed.
  • Options
    Have driven a bunch of small utes at work and I feel safer in them than my small vehicle and being a bit handicapped, the ability to just slide over into the drivers seat is a real plus as I age. And just sitting a little higher in traffic is a nice feeling and I think once she tries one, she'll be very pleased and all her doubts will disappear. She really should check out the Rogue, Tuscon/Sportage and the Escape to name a few. In time, I think more and more aging folks like myself will opt for these vehicles over our econoboxes...and the extra room is just a bonus!

The Sandman

• Options
    I think the automakers are missing out by not marketing the crossovers directly to the older folks.

My in-laws have had a Veracruz for a few years, and just bought a CR-V last year. The main selling point for them was ease of entry/exit.

Myself, I would rather stay on the agility side of the equation. I feel a lot safer driving my Speed6 than my wife's Xterra. I'd rather have the ability to avoid an accident than hope that mass makes me the winner against someone/something else.

Mass is great if you're comparing car vs. truck in an accident, but if you're talking truck vs. tree the truck/crossover will always lose.
  • Options
    Mass is great if you're comparing car vs. truck in an accident, but if you're talking truck vs. tree the truck/crossover will always lose.

Yes, I've always said if I had the opportunity to pick my accident...I'll take a big truck in a 2-vehicle accident and a super safe lighter unit for the single-vehicle accident. I believe the odds are far higher that you'll be involved in a multi-vehicle accident than a single...unless you happen to drive like a nut all the time. In my case above I was stopped at a light and was hammered head-on. No chance of avoiding that no matter how agile your vehicle and given the number of accidents that I've avoided over my million + miles of driving.....it's pretty rare that agility really comes into play.
  • Options
    wallyt1234wallyt1234 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I have a three care garage now and have to downsize to 2 car garage and in Arizona one stall is always needed for storage, etc. What I own is a 1993 Ford Conversion (Tiara) E-150 van.
    Side doors open out (no slider). Color is champagne with dark brown pin striping. Engine is 5.0 liter FI V-8 with 84,000 miles. Van has been garage kept since I bought it in 1996 and never has been in an accident since then. Maintenance has always been kept up and Mobil 1 used though its entire life. Tires have 7000 miles. Interior is tan colored and clean. Also in the interior are 2 captains chairs in front and 2 behind with a bench seat in the rear. Car has been in Arizona since at least 1994 so there is no rust. The van has the following equipment: power steering, power brakes with hydro assist, power windows and door locks, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, front and rear heating and AC, and a console with colored tv and VHS player. Also have a separate stereo radio and tape deck in rear.
    Van runs perfect and has plenty of life left in her. Would appreciate if someone could give me a value to place on it so I can sell it. My email address is wallyt7943@aol.com.
  • Options
    I got nothin here.

Sounds like its way more special to you than just about any buyer. My best suggestion is to put it on Ebay so those 2 or 3 people in the US who love it will find it. What's it really worth? I'd take a wild guess at about $3k-3500.

• Options
    You can't market directly to older folks because then you lose all the younger buyers.

Crossovers cost a lot more than econoboxes so not really fair for us to compare crash worthiness.

For instance, a Rogue costs a lot more than a Sentra, so an Altima is more of an alternative for the same cost. The Altima has more mass and is likely safer (passively) vs the Sentra.

At least if we are looking at the safest car you can afford.
  • Options
    sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Thanks, qbrozen. That is the one.
  • Options
    I agree with the eBay suggestion, as well as possibly listing it on a board dedicated to conversion vans, if there is one. Be sure to include the service history, as that may be important to the right buyer.

One problem I see with the van is that it has a VHS player, (I assume) a CRT TV, and a tape player... People now expect DVD players with a flat screen, or just use an iPad or other device, and connect an iPod or a flash drive for music.