Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I would like to know how to post a photo in this forum such as you did with the interior of your Cavalier trunk.

I know that I can send an email that will allow reverse access to photos I have in a photo hosting site (I presently use "Ofoto"). But I would like to place a selected photo directly into an Edmunds posting.

Can you give me a simple, simple explanation of how this is done?

Or, can anyone else help me on this?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Did you not get my email? You didn't tell me you already have a site for picture hosting, that's great. I assume the photo you want to use is posted there? If not, that's where it needs to be.

All you need to do is click on the Img button below the post box, type the address where your picture is stored and click on the Img button again. Then post and you'll see the picture.

The address where your picture is stored is going to be something like http://www.ofoto.com/yourdirectory/yourphoto.jpg where you use the appropriate directory and picture names.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I respect that!!! I was just curious on what cavalier owners like in their vehicles. Enjoy your ride. I will continue to enjoy my '04 Passat as well!! ;)
    Your email was received and thanks for your further followup here

I still do not understand where I get the "address" for my desired photo. I don't see anywhere in Ofoto where an address is spelled out. Please excuse my failure to grasp this.
    Well, maybe someone who uses Ofoto can tell you a way, but here's something you can try: Go to the picture on Ofoto and right-click on it. If you are using IE, you should see a "Copy Shortcut" choice, click on that. Come here, click on the Img button once, then, without moving the cursor, right click and choose paste. Then hit the Img button again, then post.

If you are using a Mozilla browser, the choice you'll see instead of Copy Shortcut is Copy Image Location, otherwise there are no differences.

The Copy Shortcut should copy the address of your picture and then all you have to do is paste it between two clicks on the Img button.

If it doesn't work or you don't like it for some reason, you'll have 30 minutes in which you can either Edit or Delete it - those links appear to the right of the message title.

I hope this helps!!
  • annabannab Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Cavalier with 62,000 miles on it. Recently I have noticed it is making a clunking noise when I am backing up at slow speed and turning the steering wheel. It does it going forward as well, but only notice the noise at slow speeds. It sounds like it is in the steering column, but don't know what is causing it. Other than that, it runs great and love the car. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    When I follow the instructions in your first paragraph, I come up with a likely looking address in the message box

But when I post it, I get the "little box with an X inside", no photo

The address, with the end brackets omitted, is

imgsrc="http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=463009260106&photoid=36300926010- 6"

It seems I'm getting closer, but no cigar

Is that your picture? What I did was select (highlight) and copy the address you posted, pasted that into the browser's address bar, went there, right clicked on the picture I saw on that page, chose "copy image location" (Firefox browser), came here to post, hit the Img button, then did a right click and paste, then hit the Img button again.
    All I see in your post is a "little box with X inside"

When I paste that address in my IE address bar I just get a message "cannot be found"
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    The 2004 Passats are very nice. My sister-in-law has a 4-cyl one. I am sure you will enjoy your ride. :P
  • candiecandie Member Posts: 28
    I wish I could say coming here helped, but I guess there were no mechanics who wanted to venture into '95 Cadaver territory. Cadaver as in Cavalier. I asked for help, and received none. What I found out since my last post and after trying another mechanic was that the mechanic who installed the compressor split the serpentine belt and bent the idler tensioner. So, $1,200 later this time, the car no longer shimmies :) I'd NEVER recommend a Cavalier to anyone I liked. I've invested in 6 months time more than half of what I paid for it. It had an original mileage of 28,000 in Sept. 2004. The mileage now is 28,800. It's had a new muffler, new battery, new tires but worst of all 2 serpentine belts, 2 idler tensioners, a new motor mount, a new crank shaft, new spark plugs, new compressor, what else is there? I wouldn't buy a Cavalier again, no, correction, I wouldn't take one if it was "given to me." Why would anyone want to drive in a vehicle that has so many problems? It looks nice, but that's about all I can say for it. I had an '84 Buick, original mileage 62,000 (mine, from new) and I never had this many problems in all of that 20 years. Thanks also to all of you mechanics who ignored me and find discussion of photos more appealing, way to go (not)...I did find help in an AOL auto chat thank goodness. More than I can say for here. I am very disappointed in you guys. Very....

Candie
    Hi Candie.

Perhaps you have misunderstood the purpose of our Forums. We are primarily visited by owners and those seeking to purchase, not mechanics. We are more for members to exchange information than we are for any professional guidance. I don't know whether you've taken the time to explore the rest of our site, but we have some very good resources on our Maintenance and Repair board. If you haven't done so, you might look through the list of discussions there. There are some very mechnically oriented folks hanging out in some of them.

I have to point out that "alternator" did respond to you several times, most graciously.

I hope you get everything settled to your satisfaction.
  • rorytaterorytate Member Posts: 21
    Sheesh, you're knocking a good CHEAP car, which is way afforadable not only with the purchase of a car, but on gas as well.. I've had my 98 cavalier for almost 5 years, got it when it had only 72k on it, it now has 169k on it, and i've never had a MAJOR problem, only thing was a water pump. It's very accessable to fix, and i'm no mechanic. Alot of the cavalier is do it yourself kinda stuff. If you do research on your car, get a shop book it's pretty straight forward.!
    I recommend the cavalier for anyone. If you don't want to read this forum, don't come back, it is as easy as that. :P
    Well, there are tons of people who can't deal with anything under the hood - telling someone who is having difficulties to get a shop manual and take care of it on their own isn't helpful in that kind of a situation.

Let's just remember that we're here to help people as best we are able - not to tell them to go away and figure it out on their own. :confuse:

'kay? :)
  • retroshaunretroshaun Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2.2 Cavalier 2.2 (GM - in Canada) and cant sem to find details of the tire presures anywhere (particularly inside the door edge as detailed in the manual). Can anyone either tell me what they should be orpoint me to a good online guid?

Thanks.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    My 2000 Cavalier was 30 psi, my 04 Malibu is 30 psi so that should be right, look down at the bottom of the B pillar, driver door side a tag maybe there, my 04 has one there for tire pressure. :)
    Sorry if I seemed gruff. I probably did have the wrong interpretation of what the boards were for. I'm new at it and think someone did say they hoped a mechanic would come by, read about my Cavalier problems and possibly offer me some direction. I thanked Alternator and still thank him. He very kindly explained he was not a mechanic and expressed his thoughts.

Pat is absolutely correct. I have no clue how to deal with anything under the hood and even if I did, doubt it would help me much. I'm a disabled woman in her late 50's and wouldn't be able to fix a car if I did know how. I needed to get some quick help because the car was costing me close to what I had paid for it and I needed to know if anyone who was familiar with Cavaliers found the repairs I had done and was doing typical of having to be done on this type of vehicle with such low mileage. I certainly didn't mean to set anyone off (Rorytate) and be told to leave. Either way, I thank Pat and Alternator for their kindnesses and although I have my car back, I'm not too trusting of it due to the constant problems that have occurred since the purchase in Sept. 04. Suggestions on how I might have proceeded were all I was looking for.

Candie
    Thanks for your post - frustration can always interfere with effective communication, no doubt about it!

If you continue to have problems, feel free to post them here, but please do also look into the discussions on the Maintenance and Repair board. Posting there is probably the best chance you have of reaching experienced mechanics. Just keep in mind that we are all here on a voluntary basis trying to share experiences and help where we can. We're not necessarily experts, nothing we offer you should be taken as expert advice, nor do we have any obligation to solve specific problems.

Best of luck to you.
    This is just a recommendation for those who, for any reason, might want to play a MP3 player, CD player, or other audio output device through their car radio.

I tried out eight different FM modulators of the type that transmits an FM signal through the air to be received by your car radio. I was very disappointed with the results. Not a one of them was in any way usable at all. The signal went up and down, the background noise was unacceptable. They were all a disaster, and some cost up to $80 (luckily I bought them all with a return privlege).

Then I came across an FM modulator that plugs into your cigarette lighter and into which you attach a MP3 player (CD player or other audio output unit) via an audio cable (supplied). Or, as an option, you can also insert a USB flash drive directly into a USB port on the modulator. This product is called the "VR3 MP3 FM Modulator", made by Virtual Reality Sound Labs, and can be seen at

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3579125

I have been very satisfied with both voice and music played through this device via the audio cable. Music played from USB flash drives however seems to lack adequate bass. This device does stick out somewhat from the dash so you must make sure it will not interfere with your dash controls.

I bought this modulator at Costco for $26, including sales tax.
  • edgmedgm Member Posts: 1
    My dome light works in my '92 Buick Century, but the chime does not. Can you point me to where you found your answers? Thanks.
  • vincemustgovincemustgo Member Posts: 3
    49K miles. Check engine light comes on for a week them off for 3-4 weeks then on, repeat. Is there a way to get the code myself and post it here to see what is wrong? I am by no means a car guy...just drive it, gas it and maintain it with oil changes, spark plugs, filters, etc. Thanks in advance.
    When I am parked at home and get ready to go to work (or anytime) and I start it up, and put it into reverse, I get a loud "pop/Click" - sounds like when you crack your knuckles but louder. The backs up fine. I put it into Drive - no noise. Only does this when putting it into reverse. I am afraid of the answer, but could this be a transmission issue?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    My friend showed me the same unit, from Costco, and it is simply amazing. Much cleaner sounding than using a cassette player with a "dummy" cassette insert. He didn't tell me you can play any audio source through it, he was using a flash drive.
  • themoose1themoose1 Member Posts: 2
    1993 Chevy Cavalier
    -When leaving headlights on or key in ignition, the chime does not work if you open either door.
    -When opening either door, the dome light does not work.
    -When putting gearshift to Drive, doors no longer lock and safety belt warning lamp does not light.

Dome light and door locks will work operate manually. All fuses look fine. I can't find a mechanical switch on the door that controls the chimes if the door is left open !

Help ! :cry: :mad: :cry:
    Hi Vincemustgo. I posted yesterday but don't see it appearing here. I have this problem also. It has only happened twice, but both times when it was parked for awhile (my '95 Cavalier). I was told by a mechanic it is just a build up (oil? I don't know of what, but I was assured it was not a trannie problem).

I too hope it's not, I've already spent more on repairs for the Cavalier than I paid for it, in six short months. Best of luck and thanks Pat, for your help in directing me to the right places here :)
    Thank you ...

Candie
    You're certainly welcome - keep us posted.

BTW, I emailed you about your post yesterday - reply there to me if you have any questions.
    Thanks for the email. Glad it is not just me. I just don't want to drive around and have the trans.fall out to the ground...LOL.

Stop by the website sometime - sign up for the free tickets.

http://www.VinceMustGo.com
    Vince Naimoli, Tampa Bay DevilRays owner, MUST step down from ownership!
  • jami_lynnjami_lynn Member Posts: 1
    I own a '98 chevy cavalier, its my first car.
    The rattling in my dash drives me insane,
    I saw someone had already posted about it,
    is it a common problem?
    :confuse:
  • cavmonkeycavmonkey Member Posts: 2
    1995 cavalier, When the right turn signal is activated or hazards the abs light comes on and it sounds like the relay is activated too. It says on even if the turn signal is turned off. The left signal doesn't have this affect. This does not happen when the car is not running.

Some things I did to debug. I removed the connector to the turn signal(gray) and when the car is started the abs light and relay come on and don't shut off.
    I also disconnected the rear right turn light and this also causes the abs light and relay to activate as soon as the car is started.
    I removed the flasher and this had no affect on the problem.

This is not my car. I don't have any type of manuals, so I have no wiring diagram. I am confused by why unplugging the turn signal connector would have any affect on the ABS system. I check the ground from the battery to chassis and alternator and chassis, both seem fine.

Any ideas?
  • cavmonkeycavmonkey Member Posts: 2
    An update.

There is another problem that seems to be related. The driver side turn signal go out, like if the bulb is burnt out, it doesnt blink. If I pull the bulb and put the same bulb back in, it works. But then the directional will go out again in a day or so.

But if both sides are working, the ABS light does not come on. But the hazards still cause the problem. If I pull the tail light plug from one side, the directional for the opposite side causes the ABS light to come on.

Seems like if I can keep both sides functional, the ABS light problem is not an issue, so the issue is that the drivers side directional keeps going out. As stated above, just removing and reinserting the bulb temporarily gets it working again. Unfortunatley, since it is not my car I can say when and why the drivers side directional fails.
    Hi Pat and All: After literally a month of problems with the 95 Cavalier, and some not so honest mechanics, I today had a friend's son come by (from out of town) and got some results :) Two compressors later, three idler and three serpentine belts later at a cost of over $1200. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper which I'm sure you all realized from my previous posts.

I'm not trying to be cheap, so please don't misunderstand but now my plug wires need to be replaced. Would anyone know about (ballpark range) how expensive OR, hopefully inexpensive this is to do? I have only put 350 miles on this car myself and it seems like I've paid dearly for each and every mile. The only saving grace is it is REAL GOOD on gas. My friend assures me that for now other than the wires, I am in pretty good shape (the car is, LOL). I was ready to get rid of it.

Any help once again would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Candie :cry:
    I'm going to suggest one more time that you have a look at the discussions on our Maintenance & Repair board since that is where you are most likely to find the folks who can answer questions like these. There is one discussion you'll see at the top of that list, "Got a Quick Technical Question?", that might be your best bet for this particular situation, but look over the list and see what you can find. You may find several discussions that have helpful information for you - you won't know until you look! ;)

Either way, keep us posted.
    Thanks Pat, I did it (finally hey?) I posted it under "Got a Technical Question" at Maintenance and Repairs. Thanks for the help. I was having a difficult time navigating over there, but think its ok now. Again, thank you.

Candie
    Glad you found it - feel free to email me with any navigational questions. Just click on my name to get my profile.
  • lexiyqtlexiyqt Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am not sure if anyone can help me, But I have a 1997 chev cavalier 2.2L with air conditioning. I was driving down the highway, and it was making a noise like the fan was hitting the shroud. But It wasn't. and all of a sudden, doing 55mh. It quit!!!!!! It didn't overheat. At first we were told by a mechanic that it was a timing chain. Then we thought it may be a head gasket. It smelled of burning oil. Oil level was not down. It is getting fuel and spark. The tumblers went in the ignition switch, but we can turn it over With a jumper wire on the starter. It still will not run. I have been having problems starting it in wet weather for a while now. I had to turn it over repeatedly before it would fire. No one can tell me what is wrong. Any ideas?
    :cry:
    Confused in Canada
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    It will not start by jumping at the starter, the computer needs a signal from the ignition to turn on the fuel injectors. Most likely the bad ignition switch is why the car quit and won’t start, fix that first. :)
  • gman_128gman_128 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 94 cavalier with a 2.2 4 cyl engine in it and i want to put exhaust on it but i don't know what to put on because iwant the deepest sound i can get, not one of these fart mufflers that are in the cities. If anyone can help i would sure appreciate it.
    You might want to stop by our new Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board to see what's going on there ...
  • cavyracingcavyracing Member Posts: 2
    i was just wondering if any of you guys would know if a supercharged ecotec out of the new cobalt ss model would fit in a 97 cavalier, thanks
    You might want to also post that in our Engine Swaps discussion.
  • gman_128gman_128 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 94 cavalier with a manual transmisison and i wanted to check the tranny fluid and i couldn't find a sight glass or anything to check it, if anyone could tell me where to check it that would be great.
    thanks
  • nellingnelling Member Posts: 3
    I have an automatic 1997 Cavalier and last week at a stop light, the engine killed. I put it in park and it started up just fine, but when I went to put it in drive it killed again. It continued to have no problem starting up and it ran just fine in neutral and in park but as soon as I attempted to put it in to any gear the engine would kill. I attempted to get the car in gear for about 1/2 hour by trying all tricks that I knew , but nothing seemed to work, the car simply wouldn't keep running when put in gear. With the help of others I was able to push the car to a nearby goodyear. By the time they got around to looking at it (4 hours later), nothing was wrong. They had no problem putting it into drive or reverse and they drove it around just fine, so no work was done on it. They suggested that it was the torque converter or the transmissions solenoid. I have had no problems with the car since that day and it has ran as great as it always have. One more thing, the car sat for about 1 week without running before this strange occurance happened, while temps were in the 90's and humidity was very high. Is goodyear's prognosis accurate? Has anyone experienced an issue like this that can assist me? Thank you!
    For owners of Cavaliers from 1995 through 1999, you don't have to remove your dashboard to access your radio.

In an earlier post I mentioned that the Cavalier dash could be cut in such a way as to provide easy access to the radio for service or replacement. At that time I didn't know how to post a picture illustrating where to make said cut, but now I do and so I will !

In my photo, two white lines indicate where you can make a shallow cut (with a rotary tool cut-off wheel) which will separate the bottom, U-shaped part of the trim plate from the upper part of the plate (cut through the plastic slowly, allowing it time to cool rather than melt). The U-shaped part can then be pulled off (you will be able to snap it back in place using the existing clips). The location of the cut is such that it will be hardly noticeable.

When the U-shaped part is replaced, you may need to put a thin shim or two under the part if it does not exactly lay flush with the upper part.

This is so much easier than removing the dashboard.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Buying a '95 Cavalier in 2005...not sure what to say about that. Sounds like a risky proposition.

As far as cutting the dash picture above......tell me your not serious about that. Never is a million years would I ever consider cutting the dash in any of my current or previously owned cars.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    If you'll read his post again, you'll see that he has also bought a total of FOUR Cavaliers over the years. I was wondering equally as much why he bought Cavaliers No. 2, 3, and 4.

I think it's a valid question, why someone would continue buying Cavaliers when he has such an opinion of them.

So I'll rephrase:

Why did you continue buying Cavaliers with that opinion of them?

Meade
    "Do It Yourself."

Meade
  • mandi77mandi77 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much to all of you for your comments, and advice. I now have my car in the shop and it might just stay there....ha ha.
    Take Care,
    mandi
    Sorry to be one of several bearers of bad news about your car, but the '95s were not the most stellar example of an automotive product!

Meade
  • mandi77mandi77 Member Posts: 3
    I'm starting to realize that my cute little car may actually be a devil in disguise. It seems to be the way, but I feel better when I take my car to the shop, as opposed to my old car. I had a 1996 Ford Probe GT. It was a sweet ride, but when that warrantee expired.....OMG, let me tell you, I dumped almost 10 grand into it before I sold it. A week after the warrantee expired....my clutch went, and the things are built so weird that it was hours of labor for the guys to just get to the clutch. At least with the Cavalier, they are so common, that majority wise, the parts are fairly cheap, and fairly easy to work on. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way I guess.
    Mandi