Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• martha10martha10 Member Posts: 6
    I have been in contact with GM Canada and very quickly a rep called me. I met with the service mgr at my dealer and I took out another 99GrandAM to see how the car handled. It only took 30 seconds of driving to feel the difference from my car. We agreed to have my car taken in next week and to be driven by the manager for the day and he would compare the drive of both vehicles. Since then, I headed for a vacation to Maine. Two hours into my travel I had to put down my window to pay a toll and my window wouldn't go back up, nor would the locks work. It was very cold that night and we were not impressed that we had to turn around and go back home. I dropped the car off to the dealer Saturday (after cleaning out my contents) and have contacted GM Canada twice since then, but they don't seem to want to talk to me anymore.
  • gdibgdib Member Posts: 1
    Anyone change their own oil and filter on a 1999
    GrandAm GT. I'm looking for some hints on changing the filter (the six cylinder)
  • szerfasszerfas Member Posts: 53
    I have a GrandAm SE with the 6. I have not yet changed my own oil on it but my next one I will do. From what I have read you want to remove that plastic plate towards the front of the car and the filter is right above it. I guess there are suppose to be some easy to remove screws there. I will probably have to change the oil next month and I can give an update of how it goes at that point. Good thing is that it looks like this car uses the same filters as my Buick did. Curious to hear how yours goes.

Stephen
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    I was hoping with my first oil change at a Pontiac dealer that they would not spill the oil all over the engine. WRONG! That old familiar burning oil smell soon came over the car a day or two after the oil change. Can't anybody change oil without spilling it everywhere? And if they do spill, can't they wipe it down? I tried spraying Simple Green down near the filter and then hosing it off but it is very difficult to direct it into that area without a car on a lift. And if I had access to a lift I'd change the oil myself!
  • bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    I Just rcvd my 2000 GT last Friday and I have to say this car is amazing, I love it. I live in Washington D.C. and drove it down to the national mall, I had 5 people come up to me and say they liked the car, and dozens of others stare at it. My girl friend who said she would never buy an American car has now changed her mind. As for all of those post about the gas mileage, on my first tank, I averaged 20, and the 2nd 23, while pushing it to its limits. I would tell anyone that asks to get this car.
  • chernecherne Member Posts: 1
    I have had disc brake vibration when apply brakes at low speed on Olds, Fords, Chrys, now I guess I am going to have the same on my 99 Grand Am GT. Maybe all these guys should buy their brakes from another source. My 300M were replaced at 20,000 & that is with 6,000 miles on a vacation trip.
  • rameyramey Member Posts: 2
    I recently drove my '00 Grand AM GT on a 1400 mile road trip and averaged 28 mpg for the trip. Many cars improve gas mileage with some age so the number might go up some for cars with more mileage. In town it gets around 22 mpg or so. No brake problems as of yet. Everyone seems to love the car (especially my wife who originally wanted a Honda CRV).
  • deboundsdebounds Member Posts: 9
    Well, I don't know all the details; only what you have shared. How many times has your vehicle been to the Dealer for repairs? I am assuming since you contacted GM in Canada that you live in Canada? Right? If that is the case, what are the Canadian laws on this subject? e.g. lemon law...do you have such a thing there? What did the District Rep tell you were your options? I would find out if you have the right there in Canada to request a buy back by Pontiac.
  • shelterushelteru Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 2000 Grand AM today and over all loved it. It has a lot of room for a little car.

The one thing I was bothered about is it had a lot of steering wheel vibration. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • deboundsdebounds Member Posts: 9
    There should be NO vibration in the steering of the Grand AM. The steering and handling of car has been impressive although the car has had problems in other areas. Suggest you test drive another one at a different Dealer to compare the two. I have owned two 1999 Grand Am V6's this year and neither had any vibration. Was the Grand Am you test drove a RamV6. If you have any questions about the vibration, my suggestion is that you speak to the Service Department. I also suggest,if you haven't already done so, to read through the posts through out this section on the Grand Am. You will see mention of the many other problems experienced by other Grand Am owners.
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    All, I have a 98 Grand Am SE, V6 and automatic. I'm having an intermittent problem with the transmission. When I stop, sometimes the transmission drops out of gear. I have to move the shifter to neutral and then back to drive. The car has been to the dealer 3 times. They have put a scan tool on it. There are no stored codes and it has not droppped out of gear while the technician has driven it. Has anybody else had this problem or have some ideas? Thanks.
  • kspecskspecs Member Posts: 1
    My '99 GA GT now has 35k mi. I live in Mich. and commute 80mi each way between and Lansing and Detroit.
    I loved the car at first, but then as time went on, I've been less than satisfied. Main reason is that the suspension seems like it's "loosening". The handling lost tightness it used to have, I can't be as agressive on cornering anymore, brakes fade to the point of many nearly missed rear ending the cars in front, etc...
    I really missed the tight and solid feel of the car it had. It has high miles for one year old car, but it still doesn't warrant the drastic decline of the quality. Although the roads are not that good in metro Detroit, but it's not that bad either, they've been doing constructions all year long.
    My next car will be an import of some kind..
  • drivehard1drivehard1 Member Posts: 20
    I own a 1998 Grand Am GT with a 3100 V-6 with 48000 miles and a automatic, {no problems with it}. The only problem I've had with the car at all is the driver's seat headrest came unsnapped and they re-covered it, not a big deal. I have been looking for a new car and been seriously considering a 2000 Grand Am SE not the GT, to firm of a susension or a Alero anyone have comments either way. Does anyone know how much better the 3400 V-6 is than the 3100. We've got the 3400 in our van, but thats different.
    Any comments\feedback would be helpful!
    Hey Drivehard1

My girl friend's 98 Malibu has the 3100 and my 99 Grand Am has the 3400. We have not seen too much of difference. Mine has a little more power but that is before the 3100 went to 170 hp. I do find it interesting that my 3400 uses the same oil filter as my 3800 in my LeSabre did use. I was hoping that it was a sign that it was designed along the same lines. The only thing that I have been having with my 3400 is that sometimes it is not so eager to start if it is warmed up some, sounds kind of strange but it starts easier when it is cold then when it partly warmed up. Probably just a bad sensor in mine some where.
    Hey Kspecs:

You are the only one that I've seen post about a 1999 GA GT with higher mileage. I realize the brakes and suspension are a major problem, but how about the rest of the car? Any other major problems with steering, transmission, leaking doors, etc.? My GT has about 4500 miles and I 'm getting worried with all these posts about problem after problem. I'm trying to figure out how long to keep this car. It looks like I should consider dumping it after the warranty is up.

That's a real shame because I absolutely LOVE this car and have had no problems with it yet. I guess I've got some time before I have to make a decision. Just hope I don't spend the entire warranty period taking it to the shop for repairs. Can you imagine the bad reliability ratings Consumer Reports will give this vehicle in its annual auto issue?
  • shiershier Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Grand am GT with 23000Km on the odometer. I have had no major problems. The only problems I have had is minor scratches on the side windows and a creak from the sunroof cover if was not fully closed. I have used my grand am to its limits and I am happy with the performance. I had a wind vibration around 150km/hr to 160Km/hr which I fixed by raising the rear trim seal near the window. I had a encounter with a rock and put a crack in the front window. The crack starts at the bottom of the window in the center and goes to the roof. Has anyone else had problems with windows cracking??? My bother also has a cracked window in his. Maybe its how we drive?
    I am currently waiting for snow which is expected soon and I hope the 225 tires will be ok with traction control. (I hope they are not too wide for the weight of the car on snow)
    My brother also has a GT and he is also had no problems with 14000 km.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    I have a 99 SE with the 3400 and it has a slow oil leak. Noticed oil on the garage floor on friday. Anybody else have this problem?
    I have a 99 SE with the 3400 and it has a slow oil leak. Noticed oil on the garage floor on friday. Anybody else have this problem?
  • mstan1mstan1 Member Posts: 9
    I've had my GA SE2 since Feb. and put 12K miles on it and have had absolutely no problems with it. You shouldn't get leaks or vibrations in the steering. The car still handles great and is fun to drive. I really just enjoy driving this car. My previous car was a Taurus and it was just transportation. This car moves and looks and feels sharp! I've gotten to to this craze of polishing and waxing it so it always looks like a mirror. Visit Edmunds care and maintenance section on waxing and picked up some valuable tips. Other GA owners should check that site out too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Grand Am in a heartbeat.
  • sparmerlee1sparmerlee1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for Grand Am comments.

I looked through the Edmunds site to find the information on waxing and other cleaning tips, but I can't find anything. Please let me know where I should look. Thanks.
  • stanguay1stanguay1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

If all goes well, I should receive my GrandAM GT 2000 on december 8,1999. I currently have a Cavalier Z24 1996. I can hardly wait!!!
    It sounds like you orderd your car. If you did it is worth the wait. It took about 7 weeks to get my 2000 gt, I had a 1996 Sunfire GT, great car, but when you get your Grand Am, you'll forget about the Cavalier all together!
  • brandonsbrandons Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen a 2000 Gran Am with the new dark pewter leather. I am planning on ordering this color but I have not yet seen it in person. Is the color similiar to the dark pewter cloth? The one picture on the pontiac web page makes the color look like light grey which doesn't really match the rest of the interior trim. If you have seen it is it a dark color leater similar to the leater that covers the steering wheel and shift knob or is it a light grey. I hope it is dark. Thanks fro your help.
  • mil132mil132 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I just bought a new 99 Grand Am Oct and it
    only has 5k on the car know.
    But that's just the top of the ice berg. I have been into the repair shop over 7 times now to have different things replaced.

First reason not to buy this car.

#1 Leather on door panels are flipping up, (No Fix for this problem, just have to keep taking it back until your warranty runs out).

#2 Discontinued radio due to shorting out and volume button problems. (No Fix For This Either)

#3 Radio will cut off and on all by itself and also cut the main power to it and the windshield wipers. (Haven't taking it in for this problem yet).

#4 Wind Leaks in at high speeds. Worse if you have a sunroof and you like to drive the speed limit.

#5 Enablity to drive without you lights off.
    (Stupid Safty Feature)

#6 Power Steering Unit Having problems due to tight turns. ( No word on fix)

#7 Really bad shaking in the steering wheel when stop quickly. (Watch out if your not holding on to wheel)

#8 Back window look really stupid when you tint the windows. Results in looking dirty all the time.

#9 The Black paint jobs are not holding up to normal car washes. Well leave alot of shwirl marks
    and eats of your clear coat.
    Also look out for Bugs.

#10 Rattles in seat belt covers. Due to none tightable bolts that hold them up.
    (Keep the radio up if you don't want to hear all the rattles)

#11 Very poor panels underneath the Dash, Looks like they cut it out with a dull Knife.

#12 Middle of back seat is solid as a rock. Not very soft. Don't sit on it for more then 2 mins.

#13 Over powered radio has the speakers popping alot...Don't turn your radio up to loud.

#14 Suspension gets really loss if you live in a woody area or if you just have alot of pot holes.

Well I hope by reading this every will not buy this car, I'm fixing to get a lawer to take car of this matter.
    Pro.....None..
    Cons....Everyone you can think of.
    DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!

Mil132
    I've had my GT for 5000 miles and have experienced no problems at all. I don't understand how one car can be so different than the next. Of course, mine is not black, I don't care for window tinting, I don't care if the middle of the back seat is hard and I like the DRL's.

My radio works fine and I have never popped the speakers (and I crank it up quite loud).

Maybe I won't be excited about my car in the future if I have to bring it to the dealer over and over. But for now, I LOVE this car!
  • angrystarangrystar Member Posts: 1
    In addition to my Ford F-150 and Chevy Malibu (my wife's car) I also own a Grand Am, mine has about 8,000 miles and was driven around Pocono Speedway.

I can't believe that your comments are so extreme. I have not had any problems with my vehicle.

I especially like how you tinted the windows and then complain about a change YOU made to the vehicle.

I don't think that the stereo system was made to perform at the same decibel level of a Boeing 767 jet engine. Use some common sense and you will not blow out your speakers, or just install an after market stereo system like I did.

I would also like to warn any dealership who happens to encounter anyone who can not master the English language by the time they are of legal driving age.

Needless to say, I also love my car and I am very happy I purchased it.
  • obiwanobiwan Member Posts: 57
    I really do feel for you. It appears that the entire GM line suffers from inconsistent build quality problems.

I've had my black '99 GT1 for 8 and a half months and I haven't had any of the mechanical problems you have. I'm just a few miles shy of 12,000 and my car is running like a champ. I've driven it in the open spaces of the midwest, through the mountains and desert to my new home in southern California and went on a road trip last weekend to Arizona. I drive in all kinds of conditions and vary in the way I drive from very sedately to quite aggressively.

I only have two complaints about my car. The first is the daytime running lights. Sure, it's nice to not have to think about your lights from day to day. I haven't touched the headlight switch since I bought it. But it would be nice if there was an override switch in case I wanted to have the lights off at any particular time. I'm thinking about putting in a power cutoff relay in the system. I just need to find a good place to put the switch on the dash.

The second complaint is that my CD player is suddenly skipping half the time. Though, simply ejecting the CD and replacing it seems to fix the short term effect. I'm about to go in for the 12,000 mile oil change, so I'm going to talk to the dealer about it.

As far as your mechanical problems, I wish you luck in your endeavors to find restitution. It is unfortunate that you have to resolve to getting legal help. But, from what I hear of the quality of dealerships, I do not blame you one bit.

As far as the cosmetic problems, I have some advice. Getting a good, professionally buffed wax job on your black paint job will make worlds of difference over the sprayed on hot wax used in drive through car washes, or even a hand buffed home job. Even if you buy your own buffing wheel and do the wax job by hand, it will help.

But with the tinted windows, I can't sympathize. You put it on yourself (or had someone put it on) so you can't blame Pontiac for that.

Finally, if you really want serious stereo sound in a car, you are going to have to get an aftermarket stereo. Most production cars do not come with a capable sound systems, despite assertions to the contrary. When you're buying your next car, save the money on the sound system at the dealer and use it to get a good system installed.

Good luck to you.
    It is great to hear from a fellow owner whose vehicle is performing well! With all the negative posts, I was beginning to wonder why I bought my GAGT. My CD has also begun to skip intermittently. I don't know what can be done about that.
    I agree with everyone that has posted since yours. I have a 2000 GT and the car is great, I haven't had any problems with it, the car runs great, the leather doesn't peel, and I usually drive it around 70 and I don't hear any wind leaks from my sun roof or my windows. Why don't you save that money you were going to spend on a "lawer" and invest in a spell checker. P.S. to Midlifecrises stop being so worried and enjoy driving your car. You have a great car, and I know a lot of people that drive older Grand Am's that have had no problems, so just have fun driving.
    My worrying about the Grand Am reliability stems from the fact that I've had some bad experiences with my last two vehicles. I've also had to take out what I consider a rather expensive loan to buy the GAGT. The combination of these two factors makes me somewhat nervous when I keep seeing negative posts here.

But you are correct - if I worry all the time I will not enjoy the car. Usually the worrying takes place in between the time I spend in the car. When I'm in the car I enjoy it like no other vehicle I've ever driven.

Some people have said the seats are uncomfortable. A co-worker rented an SE and hated the seats. Maybe the GT seats are that much different, but I like the way the seat fits me like a glove. I like the stereo, especially the steering wheel controls.

I like the body shape, the spoiler, and the body ripples. The car is very unique, especially amongst the hideously boring Japanese sedans.
    What I was really trying to say was just enjoy driving the car, you are afraid of all of the negative posts you have read here that say these cars have trouble. The reason is, people don't usually come to a forum to talk about how good their cars are, they come here to complain. Gm cars have become very reliable in the 1990's and there are many people that are happy with their Grand Am's.
    Again my advice to you is not to worry about all of the bad posts, you read in here and just have fun driving the great car that you have. If the Grand Am was really that bad of a car, why have they consistently sold over 200,000 per year since 1985. Also in the rare case your car breaks down, that is what a warranty is for. If you still are worried, pay more on your loan every month so that when the warranty runs out you can sell it. Again just enjoy your car and stop being afraid you have a great car!
    I understood what you were saying. You are absolutely correct about people posting only to complain. That's why it's nice to here someone like you chime in every once in a while. Thanks!
  • boats45boats45 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 2000 G-AM ,GT1,and am concerned about the handling of the car with the GT. tires with the chrome rims in the snow , If anyone would comment I would appreciate it
    thanks
    I bought my '99 GT at the end of February this year, when there was still snow on the ground where I was living at the time. The car handled much better than my previous car (A '91 Chevy Beretta) that had all season tires on it. The reason? Traction control. With traction control and antilock brakes, normal everyday driving is possible with the stock tires on the GT. Even hills weren't much of a problem, provided they weren't really steep grades that are a problem for any vehicle.

If you're going to be doing a lot of snow driving in rough conditions (mountains, steep hills, deep snow) get something with 4WD and serious snow tires. If you're mostly spending time in a residential area that gets snow but clears it off the main roads on a regular basis, you'll be fine. Even short excursions into the mountains for ski trips are no problem for the tires on the GT. Admittedly, many ski areas are serviced by well traveled routes.

There are people who buy an extra set of rims and put snow tires on them, trading them off and on the car as the seasons change. If you have the cash to spare, it wouldn't be the worst thing you could do.
  • yowzabikeyowzabike Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone actually have a 2000 Grand Am or Alero
    with the 4 cyl/5 speed? How is the mileage. How is the power? Are there any magazine road tests of this powertrain out there?
  • shiershier Member Posts: 3
    We had our first snowfall (and only) in October and the GT was ok in the snow. The snow was wet and packed on the roads and very deep. (more than 12 inches) I found the frond air dam plowed through the snow which filled up the radiator area. (not so good) Even the snow was very deep the car still was able to move and the traction control was great!!!. I was going to buy snow tires to move to a narrow tires and rims but I think the tires are ok for this year. ( because they are new) My old car was a Pontiac 6000 with narrow tires and the GT is comparable to the 6000 in the snow(forward traction) The grand am handled better and was more predictable to control.
    With 4 snow tires and rims this car will be great in the snow. (next year) Waiting for more snow...
  • martha10martha10 Member Posts: 6
    So the steering problem isn't only with the GrandAM SE line. I have given up trying to convince service that there is a problem with the steering. Their last fix (suggested by GM Technical service) made the car handle well on perfect roads, but at the expense of the not so good roads which is ~50% of my driving. I will be trading in the spring as I don't trust the steering. I went to pass a car at 80Km/hr and it took 2 hands to keep me on the road.

I
  • rrussell2rrussell2 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend just got a '99 Grand Am SE2 in September. We've taken it in once because of the left rear door panel peeling off (I see I'm not the only one). Another small annoyance is the inability to turn the headlights off when it's dark (I'm in the USAF and she works on base, and when you drive up to the main gate, they want your lights dimmed). Otherwise, the car is great, drives well, and the girlfriend is pleased.
    I am really curious to see how the ETS works in the snow up here in New England. My old Buick was FWD and it was great in the snow, sometimes it felt like it was all-wheel-drive. The BFGoodrich's look decent but looks can bedeceiving on tires. You can be sure I will be here after our first big snow.

martha10. That is still interesting to hear on the steering. The only times I have had any complaints about my steering is very hard acceleration in the 45 to 50 mph range. It was the effect of torque steer and although surprising seems understandable due to the power (rather the torque) of the 3400 engine. I have drive my GrandAm at 80 mph and passed on the highway with complete stability, this is deffinetly not something I do often though. Hopefully another car does better for you when you trade, try something with not as much torque as the GrandAm.

Happy Motoring All,
    Stephen
  • dcwong1dcwong1 Member Posts: 54
    I rented a Grand Am this week and found that it is just another average car from GM - not great, just average. The car had the Twin Cam engine, which provided pretty good acceleration. However, there were more negatives than positives. First, I have driven the previous generation GA and now the new one and both have terrible fog lights. They are useless and provide absolutely no light to the side or front of the car except to blind oncoming cars. I think that they are recessed so far back in the front spoiler that it defeats its intended purpose. Second, the cruise control switch is so poorly positioned on the steering wheel and the feel of it is typical GM, which means cheap and flimsy. Third, the seatbelt plastic cover on the B-Piller rattles too much. Fourth, the volume button didn't work properly. Turning it counterclockwise or clockwise would raise the volume of the radio to the point where you couldn't turn the volume down unless you turned off the radio. Granted the last two points may be due to it being a rental, but still the overall quality of the car is typical GM, which is average.
  • treeman8treeman8 Member Posts: 13
    Hello! My daughter just purchased a 2000 Grand Am with that unusual Auburn Mist color. Any comments or opinions? I can't quite make up my mind - but I think I like it.

Also, to comment on the negative posts on the Grand Am site: If you look at the other sites(ie. -Honda) they too are full of negative posts. I believe that people who have bad experiences tend to be the ones who post more, and maybe(?) this is not a good overall poll of everyones experience rating. Your opinions please.
    My GrandAm has about 4,000 miles on it and it is doing well. My only complaint on the car is that it is some time hesitant to start when the engine is still warm. For example if you head in to a store for 20 minutes to a half hour after driving it. It is a little annoying. Other then it has been good. I still like driving it.

I just did my first oil change MYSELF on it. I had the garage do it before and they overfilled it by a full quart, they also spilled some oil on the engine, and they over torqued the oil pan bolt. I use to always change my own oil on my Buick and I thought that I would try the dealership since it was free for the first one. Changing the oil on this car in general really is not bad. I have deffinetly done much harder. I had drained about a half quart out when they overfilled it but now that the oil level is at the right level the engine even feels more powerful.

Which Grand Am did your daughter get? I wish that I had the money for the GT but my SE1 with V6 is no slouch. The cornering and brakeing are very strong on mine. I like the looks of the interior. The radio is not as clear on FM as it could be but the CD player sounds good.

Hope she enjoys her car.
    Stephen
    Is there a specific torque that you are supposed to tighten the oil plug to? I just tighten it until it is snug.
    There is probably an ideal range of the torque listed in a GM tech manual somewhere but I am not sure of the value. I just tighten it till it is snug too. I knew the bolt dealership put on was way too tight because of how hard I had to pull to get the bolt to move again. I was just about ready to give up on it for fear I was going to snap the bolt. I have changed a couple different cars oil (some of them even after being serviced at dealership/garages) and I never experienced one that tight. I was concerned that the nylon washer was going to get crushed.

Happy Motoring,
    Stephen
  • rickbagbyrickbagby Member Posts: 1
    In one aspect, I am extremely fortunate: my local Pontiac dealer is offering a 2000 GT to me just barely over invoice (yes, he's keeping the holdback, but I don't mind his making a reasonable profit).

However, I prefer to buy a GT when the Pontiac Company offers a factory rebate.

What is Pontiac's history of offering rebates on the GT during its current model year? Does anyone think that Pontiac will offer a rebate after Christmas?
    rickbagby,

Here's how I got my '99 GT1 for less than invoice:

1. I bought mine on the last business day of February. That is probably one of the worst months for car sales, especially in areas with snowy climates. And, on the last day of the month, the salesmen will do just about anything to make their quota.

2. I went in late in the afternoon and kept them open late to make the deal. Patience really pays off.

3. I managed to get a salesman who was new and hadn't delivered a single car yet. In a lot of cases, new people aren't on commission yet and will make deals easier that established salesmen won't like to. Cruise the lot for a month or so and identify the faces so you can pick up on the new guy when he hits the showroom.

Good luck.
  • guylguyl Member Posts: 10
    I one a 1999 Grand Am V6, I love it. Its fantastic. All kinds of power, just what I was looking for. Now, remember, the other car I had was a 1992 dodge shadow, automatic.

Question: What is the difference between the SE V6 and the GT V6 Ram Air. Is it just the Air intake that is different, or is the exaust pipes bigger also. Could I just put in the Air intake on my SE V6 and voila I would have a Ram Air? Is the timming different? Is the computer different? If you know what is different, please let me know.
    I don't know about the exhaust and computer differences, but the GT Ram Air is only possible because of the intakes that are formed into the front end just below the hood line. Since the SE does not have these two openings, I don't know how the Ram Air would function on an SE model. Also, I believe the transmission is geared differently in a GT model, giving it faster acceleration from stop condition.

To be honest, though, I test drove both models and couldn't tell too much difference. Of course, I wasn't able to take either vehicle through it's paces during the test drives. I think both models are very good, and are much better than other similar-size cars on the market.
  • jlyonjlyon Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a '99 GA SE1 with a V-6. The car has 28,000 miles. I plan to give it to my son is is going to snow country to college. I notice a brake noise but nothing serious. Also, I noticed the pain clear coat seems to be peeling of the front and rear bumpers (plastic parts). I had a real bad paint experience with a GM product in '89 and I'm gun shy. The car is under warranty and at a Pontiac dealer so they said they'd fix the paint. What do you all think?
    I have almost the same GrandAm as you are considering for you son. Mine is about 7 months old, with almost 6,000 miles on it. I would be concerned if I saw the paint peeling. Is the peeling from debris hitting it and chipping it away or is just peeling that has started on its own? Mine has been good quality wise. It would really be lousy if the rest of the car took to peeling. I thought GM had taken care of the peeling paint in the late 80s. My 88 Buick did not peel anywhere, even after 11 years of ownership. I would deffinetly take that paing in to consideration when coming up with a price.

Hopefully your son does not like to speed, the GrandAm with V6 really moves.

Good Luck,
    Stephen