Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• Options
    david53david53 Member Posts: 11
    Still debating between a 99 LHS and 300M. The LHS doesn't have the full spare with matching chrome wheel option. The dealer said it would cost $600 to order it separately! (which they said is a discounted number!) Anyone know where I can get one cheaper if I decide on the LHS?
  • Options
    mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I suppose it could generate another debate about which is best, but I have gotten over the need for a matching full-sized spare, which I had when the "compact spares" were first introduced. I have had occasion to drive on compacts after gettings flat tires and have had no trouble, because most of my driving is in a city and I can get home and to a tire service center without too much difficulty. I suppose if I lived in the wide open spaces of Montana, for example, with very high highway speeds and longer distances to get service I might think otherwise, but other than the 20% more rubber, I don't thing the full size spare is really worth the cost, and I feel that way in spades for a fifth chrome wheel. They are just not worth $600 (or even $400) to me. However, as is often said, "to each his/her own."
  • Options
    jyanuljyanul Member Posts: 9
    Can ANYONE shed some light on this: I've noticed
    looking at 99/2K LHS...with various exterior colors
    that the exterior mirrors can either be a "shinny"
    black or a "matte" black. I first thought the DARK
    paint used one type and light colors used another
    but have NOT seen any pattern? I thought I read here that DC was going to paint mirrors same as
    body (which I prefer) but not to what I'am seeing.
    Any idea? Thanks
  • Options
    mole300mole300 Member Posts: 2
    2000 LHS come with chrome style trim around the door/window openings and use shinny black mirrors ,99 had all flat black style.Mirrors are all black no body color available .
  • Options
    jyanuljyanul Member Posts: 9
    thanks for feedback
  • Options
    typuptypup Member Posts: 1
    Anyone notice any ride differences between the the two model years?
  • Options
    Well, I now have 600 miles on my one week old Y2K LHS. Can't find much to complain about and my initial impression is that the car is an exceptional value, compared to other "luxury" cars I've had. Design is a matter of personal preference, but I think the LHS/300M cars are among the most attractive on the road. (I think I lean toward the 300M looks but wanted the larger trunk and trunk opening, and the greater rear seat leg room, of the LHS, although I prefer the LHS front end design.) I'm concerned, of course, about complaints (here and on the 300M topic) relating to window motors, vibration and steering problems, and engine roughness, but so far, all is well.

My prior cars, in order, were a Caddy Sedan deVille, Lincoln Continental, Seville STS and an Aurora. Obviously, I can't compare the LHS to current models of those vehicles, but the LHS is the equal of any of those cars, and at a much lower cost. When I first got the LHS, I found I was over-reving the engine on start-up because I couldn't hear or feel it running, it is that quiet and smooth!! Everything worked on delivery and I can't find a thing wrong with the fit and finish. The ride is excellent, smooth and comfortable, and there is no pull in either direction on the steering wheel. If I let go of the wheel on a level road, it goes straight as an arrow. It is, however, sensitive to road crown and it will turn toward the lower side of the road if the road is not perfectly flat. However, most of my driving is expressway/Interstate and city driving in the flat midwest, so the feel and handling of the car is excellent for my purpose. Perhaps if I drove on twisting mountain roads I'd want a handling package or different tires.

I don't find the wind noise excessive compared to other cars I have driven, but the one area where I think the car is deficient is in the road noise transmitted from the suspension. On roads with "tar strips" or similar, there is a low frequency reverberating "thunking" sound. I think I've heard it aptly described as a "drum head" sound. It's what I would call an "acoustic" problem DC hasn't yet solved, despite attempts at improvement. I don't find it an overly annoying problem, but a factor to look at if you're considering the car.

As far as power is concerned, the car feels more like my old STS, with a 300hp V8, than the Aurora, which was also a V8 but had the same 250hp and weighed 400 lbs. more. I can't tell the difference between the LHS V6 and the Aurora V8. The V6 LHS is fully as smooth and quiet as the Aurora V8, if not more so. The LHS is very, very responsive. On the open road, cars seem to have a "natural" speed to which they gravitate, and this one wants to go 80 mph. If I don't pay attention, that's where I find the speedometer, and the car is smooth, quiet and comfortable.

For my needs and ear, the upgraded sound system, with CD changer, is superb, better IMHO than in either the STS or Aurora. I preferred some of the on-board computer refinements on the Aurora, and I find it hard to identify what mode the LHS computer is displaying, i.e., odometer, miles to empty, etc., but I'm getting more used to it. I don't love the "Timex" instrument lighting; it looks great, but at night I like to turn the panel down to the same brightness I perceive on the road. In order to read the instruments, especially the speedometer, the brightness has to be higher than I prefer. If I turn down the brightness, I find it hard to read the instruments. It's something I have already adjusted to, and I wouldn't let the issue enter into a decision about whether or not to buy the car, but I'll bet DC abandons that display on future incarnations of the LH cars.

All in all, as you can tell, I'm very pleased with car. If it stays in one piece and the windows continue to close, I'll be happy. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    mugwump2mugwump2 Member Posts: 33
    The instrument illumination is one of my favorite bits on our 300M, dearly love it. No WW2 U boat stuff for this kid. To each their own.
  • Options
    paulcarlpaulcarl Member Posts: 3
    (mcgreenx) Your comments on the LHS are great, except that I wish you had posted a week ago. I also owned an Aurora, and just traded it for a new 2000 I30T. I really wanted the LHS, but everyone I talked to about the car told me Chrysler is bad news on reliability. While the I30T has a great warranty, I miss the room of the larger interior and trunk. Who know's, maybe I will do a quick trade while there is still only a few hundred miles on the car. I agree that the 300/LHS styling is outstanding. I just can't get over Chrysler's maintenance. I owned three Chrysler's in the 1980's and I swore never to buy them again. I wish you lots of luck.
  • Options
    Sorry I was too late in reporting, but I couldn't report until I had the car!!! I, too, was put off by the DC reliability issue, but I have a 36 month lease and will drive a little less than 60K miles, meaning (1) I don't care about reliability after that time and (2) I will drive the car about 20K miles after the warranty expires. Consumer Reports reliability numbers for the Concorde were much better than average for '98, in almost every category, and the older cars seem to have held up for three years before turning to doodoo. I am thinking of spending about $500-600 on a 36/60K zero deductible DC extended warranty, just to cover my behind. I had extended warranties on my de Ville and Lincoln and broke even on the de Ville, but saved a fortune on the Lincoln when my sons burned up the engine driving in the Rocky Mountains with no coolant!!! But even if you break close to even, you have the protection against major breakdowns, effectively at little or no cost.

I wouldn't get rid of a new car like the I30T, however. First, it's an excellent car and, second, you would take a pretty big depreciation hit, I'm afraid. I intend to post my maintenance/reliability experience here from time to time, so you should get an idea of whether you were smart in going to the I30 and avoiding the LHS. Good luck.
  • Options
    paulcarlpaulcarl Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. I look forward to your report.
  • Options
    harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    I thank you for the report on your new lhs. I have a caddy concours with l00,000 miles on it now and the new concours (dts) stickers at 45 grand. I love the radio setup in this concours. Is the stereo in your lhs as good as your sts. I am in sales and interstate alot and spin a lot of cds. Radio stations in tennessee are just a bunch of noise.
  • Options
    I had my Aurora for three years in between my LHS and STS, so I can't really compare the sound. However, the 1999 LHS, which didn't have the in-dash CD player available, had an upgraded stereo option consisting of a more powerful amp and two additional speakers (midrange or bass) in the rear doors. The Y2K LHS with the CD player has the same amp-speaker upgrade. When car shopping I compared two side-by-side '99s, one with and one without the upgrade. There was a horn concerto playing on an FM station and I jumped back and forth between cars, trying to make an A-B comparison the best I could. (They must have thought I was really nuts at the dealership; perhaps they were right.) In any event, the upgrade was definitely superior in the mid-range. As to the Y2K CD player, I think the hardest thing for any stereo player to reproduce is a piano (because of size) and the human voice, especially a powerful operatic voice. (These are good tests, whether or not you like piano or opera.) IMHO the LHS sound system is excellent. I have no doubt one could do better with custom equipment installed, but for OE I am very satisfied. The LHS is far superior to the standard system (with OEM in-trunk CD changer) in my Aurora, and I was never really impressed with the STS sound.

The more I drive the LHS, the better I like it. It has some strange shortcomings, strange because I think they are no-cost items, such as no delay in the power cut-off after you turn off the ignition. The radio and windows cut off immediately. It's just a matter of getting used to, but when you're used to being able to close your window or hear the end of a song after you turn off the engine, it's an annoyance, albeit very minor. But how much could it have cost DC to program in a power cutoff delay? I have less than 1000 miles under my LHS belt and I keep waiting for a shoe to drop, but thus far the car is everything I could ask for. It's hard for me to call something that costs almost $30K a "bargain," but compared to a $45K Concours or STS, which are not only $15K more, but half again as much, I think the LHS is a real value.
  • Options
    jstiegjstieg Member Posts: 2
    I too am thinking about buying an LHS in the spring. I have test driven an STS but not the LHS. I found your comments interesting and thorough. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.
  • Options
    harleybillharleybill Member Posts: 23
    I took my cher believe cd to the chrysler dealer today and put it in the Infinity ll speaker stereo. The sound was fantastic. I noticed they put a Sony speaker in the trunk mounted on the floor of the trunk. Does yours have this? I wonder how the system would sound with luggage in the trunk . Does that speaker use the trunk for resonance? Would items in the trunk detract from the Infinity ll speaker set up sound stage?

Cher's new CD is awesome!!!! She can still sing!!!!
  • Options
    jstiegjstieg Member Posts: 2
    What do you think I should have pay for a new 2000 LHS. I'm talking about bottom line drive out showroom price. Not including sale tax or license fees. Only options Chrome wheels and infinity radio.
  • Options
    lindarellalindarella Member Posts: 3
    What am I missing if I don't get the 17" tires on the LHS?
  • Options
    jambi2jambi2 Member Posts: 5
    ...the part that makes your car roll. 17" wheels and tires are the only wheels that Chrysler supplies for the LHS, unlike the 300M which has 16"ers optional with a handling group. The only option on the LHS wheels is whether or not you want to see your reflection in them (chromed, or non-chromed).
  • Options
    lindarellalindarella Member Posts: 3
    I guess I was a bit confused. :)

For $700, I'll just look in the rear view....

Thanks
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Don't know if this will help anyone or not, but in today's paper, there is an ad from Robert's Chrysler Plymouth in Meriden, CT for a 2000 LHS- "0.9% financing for 60 months, leather, heated seats, moonroof, dual power seats, 17" chrome wheels, Infinity 320 watt 11 speaker stereo and more- MSRP $31,220 less their discount $2,221 for a sale price of $28,999". Does not include tax, reg. or conveyance fee. It also says that the 0.9% APR is in lieu of rebates.

At least this gives you an idea of what the car can be bought for here in CT. Here's their site-
    http://www.robertschrysler.com/

fastdriver
  • Options
    robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    Looking to replace my 95LHS, but I hate that its lost so much value. I drive about 30,000 highway miles a year, and have found that Nissans and Infinitis hold value better, but don't ride or have room like the "big Amercan cars". However, LHS is a much better deal - lower price (when negotiated properly) more room, and better mileage. I rode in a BMW 740 last week and couldnt believe how small it was. How do you take a 4some to the golf course??

Any info on the 99 or 00 LHS would be appreciated. Looking for response on ride (should be a "tad" better than my 95)windnoise with sunroof, actual highway gas mileage, and any repair problems. How are the rattles and squeaks compared to other cars? Since replacing engine, (head gasket) tires,(Bridgstone Turanzas) and brakes, my 95 is as good as new, but I'm REAL concerned about reliablity after 80,000 miles.
    (Water pump went out, wife had car and didnt stop until she heard a "ticking sound" and the car stopped. She looks at the guages now!)

Car show is here in Orlando during November - I'll be checking then too. Thanks for the help as I get started shopping.

Rob
  • Options
    I hadn't intended posting here for awhile, but with 1K miles and about two weeks on my new Y2K LHS, I have experienced what I consider a remarkable change. One (of the few) objections I had was a hollow "thunking" echo-y reverberation when I went over road tar strips, or when the road grooves caused an audible vibration. It was not just that the car was somewhat noisy, but the nature of the sound. For the last few days, that sound problem has simply gone away!!! I drive the same roads and listen carefully, to make sure I am not just getting accustomed to the sound, but it is as if the suspension and shocks have broken in and now absorb the sound better. I checked the air pressure when new and it was exactly 28 lbs in all four tires, but I haven't checked it since, which I will do. The thing I wanted to report here, though, is the inexplicable improvement. I'll try to update this from time to time. Also, biting my tongue as I write this, the car is WONDERFUL in every other respect. Try as I may, I can't find anything to complain about.
  • Options
    MC,
    Did you, by chance, take a look at the new I30 infiniti before you bought your LHS? If so, any comparison info would be greatly appreciated. Did you look at any foreign cars?

do you mind sharing details of options on your car and the price you negotiated? the info from fastdriver above looked like a great deal.

How is your LHS driving? Did the noise return? Hows the power and gas mileage?

just started my search - I appreciate the info.

Rob
  • Options
    For personal reasons, I didn't look at anything other than U.S. marques, although considering that the LHS/330M is put together in Canada, and many Honda and Toyotas (and other "foreign" cars) are made here, and the Cadillac Catera is a German made Opel< I no longer know what a domestic car is, if there is such an animal. I prefer not to discuss price, but I have the chrome wheels and CD changer, with no hole-in-roof. Haven't yet paid much attention to gas mileage, but the average MPG computer seems to hover around 22+ for my commuter in-city expressway driving. I think a car needs several K's before fuel consumption is meaningful.

The "hollow" noise seems to remain abated, but I'll keep you posted on what I observe. It may be possible for magazine testers to measure sound intensity, but all I can do is give a subjective impression. So far, so good. And for my kind of driving, city/expressway and Interstate-type highway driving, the LHS is a pleasure to drive. Plenty of power, very smooth, quiet engine, more responsive than my prior Aurora, but I attribute that to the extra 400 lbs the Aurora carried.

Not much more I can say at the moment. I drive about 1500/month, but will be away for two weeks in Oct and Nov, so I will try to give a more comprehensive update in about six weeks.
  • Options
    Road noise is a large consideration with my wife and I. Our old 95 Concorde was quite niosy . When testing cars, I bought a Radio Shack sound meter. Its about $35 and works quite well once you get acclimated to the way it works. We chose a 300M over a Concorde because of road noise. The 300 isn't as quiet as we feel it should be but much better than the Concorde.
  • Options
    trina, did you get a better trade-in offer on your car at the Chrysler dealer? Where else did you look? I'm looking at the 00 LHS, and the Infiniti I30 - both almost the same price. I love the looks, size of the LHS, but put lots of miles on my car. The resale value of Chrylser cars REALLY concerns me.....any thoughts?

Why do you want to trade the 99 LHS? any problems other than those you mentioned?

thanks

Rob
  • Options
    I think the I30 will always beat the LHS resale value, but the more you "use up" a car, the less it is worth and therefore the difference between two cars is reduced. You don't say what you mean by "lots of miles" but I suspect that at 75K or 100K the difference in resale value may be acceptable. However, I would wager that the I30 will be easier to sell. I "solved" the LHS resale problem by leasing mine. After three years, it's Chrysler Financial's problem. Or you can consider buying a OEM Extended Warranty. They are not cheap but are transferable to a new owner and make the care more resalable because the buyer has some protection against buying a car with unknown (and undisclosed) problems. There is a Chrysler Warranty site with their various warranties and prices. Remember, they are negotiable.
  • Options
    The Click and Clack Brothers, you know, Cartalk on Public Radio, have a site with a "Car-O-Scope" that determines if you are suited for your car. This is the URL:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Survey/Results/Psychographics/index.html

In any event, I should have consulted them before getting my Y2K LHS. Here's what it says about me and the LHS. How do the rest of you fare?

Comparing You to Other Chrysler LHS Owners.
    Boy oh boy, Mike, you picked a vehicle that just isn't quite right for you. You're compatible with your Chrysler LHS only in terms of your grasp of reality.

When compared to other people who drive a Chrysler LHS, you're a bit too old to be driving this vehicle, you care a bit too much about your car compared to other Chrysler LHS owners, you're just too educated to be driving a Chrysler LHS, you make way too much money to be driving a Chrysler LHS, you're a little too much of a risk-taker, you're more generous than other owners, and you are a little too much of a snob.

For your further edification, here's a little further elucidation on these personality characteristics.

My dear, it appears that other Chrysler LHS owners just don't care as much about their cars as you do. You're going to have to lighten up on this if you insist on driving a Chrysler LHS. But, since this is probably a basic character flaw and therefore unchangeable, you probably will have to buy a new car to get your carma in balance.

You certainly are a bit of a nut case, aren't you, when it comes to taking chances (well, at least compared to other Chrysler LHS owners). Calm down. CALM DOWN! It's not the end of the world, for heaven's sake. And nobody is asking you to change anything about who you are. We'd never do that. Go ahead. Jump off a cliff if that's what makes you happy. But, if this is really what you are, you're gonna have to change vehicles.

Compared to most other Chrysler LHS owners, you certainly aren't the type who squeezes a nickel to see if the buffalo will cough up a dime. No, not you. Quite the contrary. Let's face it, you're far too generous a person to be driving a Chrysler LHS. So continue to "cast your bread upon the waters," and Car-O-Scope will find a vehicle that's more compatible with your generous nature.

Gee, this is interesting. Car-O-Scope has determined that you are a person who is quite concerned with status. And yet, you're driving a Chrysler LHS. Other Chrysler LHS drivers just aren't as much of a snob as you are. We're going to have to do something about this, now aren't we?

Car-O-Scope Makes Suggestions for More Compatible Vehicles. Have no fear, Car-O-Scope is here to save you from a life of misery, depression and hemorrhoidal flare-ups. Through a secret and proprietary process (patent pending) the official car-o-scope has determined that your psychographic and demographic profile is far more compatible with the following vehicles: some of these suggestions might surprise you. But try to keep an open mind. It's quite possible that the car-o-scope has discovered some hidden and/or repressed aspects of your personality.

1. Cadillac Catera
    2. BMW 528
    3. Infiniti I30
    4. Buick Roadmaster
    5. Mercedes Benz 320

So, let's look at your compatibility profile vis-a-vis the BMW 528. If you dumped that Chrysler LHS and got yourself a BMW 528, you'd be a lot happier.

For example, you'd be almost perfectly compatible in terms of status consciousness and your grasp of reality.

In addition, you'd have pretty good compatibility in terms of your gender, how much you really care about your car, your educational level, your tolerance for taking risks, and the extent to which you're a cheapskate.

Here's a little info on these personality characteristics. Read 'em and weep.

Status consciousness:

I know a few people who will go to any lengths to impress others. ("Oh, yes, I went to Haahvaad.) I love them, don't you? Neither do I. The kind of people I like to have coffee with are "jamokes." Are you familiar with this term? No? Well, I guess you didn't go to Haahvaad, now, did you?

Reality check:

You have a pretty good sense of what's real and what ain't. You aren't one of those "head in the clouds" types--like some people I know. On the other hand, there are worse places your head could be--I guess.

Here's a more detailed look at your compatibility scores for the other vehicles on the list.

But don't delay! Your health, happiness and general well being are at stake here. Don't drive that Chrysler LHS for another day.

It has been an honor and a privilege for Car-O-Scope to serve you in this very important decision.

And, don't drive like my brother.
  • Options
    mcgreenx-

LOL...... I'm afraid to check it out and see what it says about my 300M purchase! Probably hit the nail right on the head with me! ;-)

I'll let you know via e-mail- just checked your profile- guess I'll just have to give you a synopsis here.

fastdriver
  • Options
    I don't know what else it might show, but I doubt if 300M drivers/owners could care more for their cars!!!
  • Options
    Almost exactly what mine said. Think its a joke. Try using a Buick and see what happens.
  • Options
    On the other hand, maybe we're kindred souls!!!!
  • Options
    I don't agree about the cost of extra miles. You pay them either in $$$$ to the leasing company or in depreciation when you sell your car. For the typical $.10/mile over the typical 12K/yr lease, the cost for 18K/yr on a 36 month lease is $1800, or $50/mo. You can "pay me now or pay me later," IMHO. Once a car has 50K miles on it, you will take a big hit in selling it, whether to a buyer or in trade.
  • Options
    robin354-

You can BUY extra miles at the beginning of the lease with most car companies- I think. Also, with some, you get a rebate IF you don't use them. Check into it. Maybe it's an option for you?

fastdriver
  • Options
    With a Chrysler Financial lease, the current mileage over 12K/yr is $.10 per mile when purchased in advance as part of the monthly lease cost and $.15/mile for every mile over the number of miles purchased with the lease. In other words, if you take a 36 month lease with the standard 12K/yr, you get 36K miles and pay $.15 for every mile over that. You get a rebate of some of the additional miles you purchase and don't use, but I forget at what level.
  • Options
    So let me get this straight...

If I lease an LHS for $399 a month for 3 years, I get 36000 "free" miles. If, in those three years, I put another 36000 miles on it, at lease turn in I owe leasing co. $5400? (3600x.15) If I buy the miles up front ( add to the cost of the payment) I only pay 10 cents a mile or $3600. So I should be able to lease the LHS, put 72000 miles on it in 3 years and my payments would be $499 a month?

Is that about right? Help me here, but that means I pay $500 a month for 3 years and look for a new car again.

Buying the car over 60 months I make the same payment, but I own it. Although after 5 years it would probably be worth as much as after 3 years of leasing - not a lot.

Maybe I should look at leasing - that way I get a new car every 3 years AND dont have to worry about resale?? I think a light just went on, and I sure do like the new Blue Steel color of the 00 LHS
  • Options
    isnt residual value figured when you turn in a leased car? Wouldnt the value of the import be higher than that of domestic? Therby keep monthly payments lower? Is residual figured "down" or lowered when you buy all those extra miles? any advice on how leasing companies figure residual? I know this is the LHS town hall, but I appreciate the info.....

thanks for the help

Rob
  • Options
    One additional (and important) point: nothing I said applies to other than a Chrysler Financial lease. Banks and leasing companies, which are merely financing the loan, have their own ways of calculating lease costs and may have deals with the dealer that affects the cost. Also, in my experience, OEM leasing companies tend to be fairer on end-of-lease "fair wear and tear" assessments, although I have no experience in that regard with Chrysler.
  • Options
    db4180db4180 Member Posts: 1
    Any LHS owners with steel wheels have any problem with steering vibration, as minute as it may be? Thanx DB
  • Options
    dbgriffdbgriff Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 LHS purchased 8/98 with a little over 10K miles. Have made 6 trips of approx 750 miles, 4 of which were straight through, running at 75mph most of the time with occasional bursts up to about 90mph. Have not had any steering problems and no vibration problems at all.
  • Options
    thanks - i'll look around for leasing deals. My accountant just told me a lease is 100% deductable, while mileage is ony 32 cents a mile. And I can use the deduction!

Your info really helps. I still like the LHS better than any other car out there. I have 3 guys coming from up north to visit and play golf in January and April. With luggage and clubs - and the size of the LHS trunk - we should have no probelems.

Let us know how your LHS is holding up.
  • Options
    jmr3jmr3 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had a transmission problem? Our 99 LHS with 3300 miles(3 months old) had been having some pretty violent down shifts at anywhere between 10 and 40 mph.-you'd slow down and then accelerate and it would really jump-could't decide where it wanted to be. After just talking with the dealer we were taking a wait and see position. Well today after it happened-the check engine light came on and the car would not upshift-it stayed in low gear and will not come out of low gear. Anyone having the same problem? or are there any suggestions? The car is going into the dealer monday a.m.
  • Options
    jmr3-

What you describe is called- limp mode- according to what I have read in the 300M topic area. My 300M shifts the same way- you slow down to make a turn or for a traffic light that changes to green before making a complete stop and accelerate again, normally, and the car gets confused and then takes off like a "jet". It's done this for the 16 1/2 months that I've had the car. I used to think that it was just Chrysler's transmission until I read that there might be a solution.

The solution is to have the transmission controller/module reflashed/updated with the latest software from Chrysler that is SUPPOSED to resolve the problem by giving you smoother shifts in these situations. I'm bringing my car in on Tuesday to have a faulty gas gauge repaired. I am also going to ask them if they can reflash/update my transmission. I don't really know what is involved here or if it's a complicated thing, but it almost sounds like it's as easy as upgrading a program on your computer?

fastdriver
  • Options
    My service manager claims this procedure is the miracle cure for spastic tranny shifting: "QUICK LEARN TCM TO RAISE LR CVO FROM 29 TO 48" Others report success also. Don't think its a complicated process.
  • Options
    mugwump2-

Thanks. That was the phrase that I was looking for rather than just telling the dealer to reflash the controller. Of course, I'm assuming that he'll know what this is all about! If they didn't know anything about my "alignment" problem, I don't have much hope that this will mean ANYTHING to them. At least I can ask. Maybe I'll be surprised! LOL...

fastdriver
  • Options
    Just had mine re-aligned. Noticed that the specs are VERY wide. I had them set both toe's as close to zero as possible and like the results. No more left drift that it was starting to get again. This was with a new Hunter machine and someone who knew how to use it. Find it hard to understand why the specs are so lenient as just within spec seems to be quite broad.
  • Options
    jmr3jmr3 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer is ordering a new transaxle for our LHS. He said that the pressure was not building sufficiently for proper shifting; I asked about the computer updating, and he said that the updating occurs anytime they do work on the transmission. I'm not sure I buy into that, but we'll see how the car runs when we get it back-hopefully mid-week. I will update you after we drive it for a couple of days. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    I just purchased a new stone white/camel 99 LHS. Options include sunroof, upgraded stereo, chrome wheels, and smoker's package.

I managed to haggle the dealer down to $26,000 from $31,350, thanks to the pricing and incentive information provided here in Edmunds.

I'm still caught up in the new owner high, so I don't have any criticisms of the car, as of yet :)

The LHS barely edged out the 300M in my decision-making process, as I decided the additional room made the LHS a more attractive buy. That, and the fact that I live in Florida and most of my driving is on I-10 (i.e., in a straight line), I saw no advantage to getting a 300M with the PHP.

If I have any problems with the car, I'll post them in this forum.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new purchase. You said your deal was on the 1999 model, right? Did they offer that huge discount to you, or did you have to ask? I think thats a great deal for such a beautiful car.

I'm looking at the new 2000 LHS - I like the new blue steel color - and the 4 CD changer in dash option. Did you look at the new 2000? Were they close to your deal?

I'm based in Orlando, and travel the State and other parts of the Southeast, so I know I-10, I-4, I-75/95 and the turnpike very well. I drive about 23,000 miles a year and need a big car that rides good on freeways.

Let us know how your LHS does with ride, mileage, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks