Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• jitbug5jitbug5 Member Posts: 2
    looking into purchasing an A4 2.8Q and plan on getting the sport suspension - how are the sport front seats different from the standard seats? Is it really worth the extra (almost) $500 for the sport seats? Can't find a dealer with both.
    Thanks in advance!
  • jaykoo2jaykoo2 Member Posts: 5
    I called Audi and was told that 2001 A4 will be launched in early July this year. They would not give out any other information for obvious reason.

Jay
  • jaykoo2jaykoo2 Member Posts: 5
    I called Audi and was told that 2001 A4 will be launched in early July this year. They would not give out any other information for obvious reason.

Jay
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    Usually Audi starts taking orders in July for the next year's model. Maybe that's what your dealer was trying to say. The new models don't generally come into the showrooms until September/October. 2001 cars will not have the body style change that we are all expecting until mid 2001 (as a 2002 car). Those will probably start trickling into the showrooms in September/October 2001.
  • abw4abw4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the A4 2.8L and trying to decide if I should get Quattro. I'm not sure I actually need it, as I live in Chicago where it relatively flat. But would I be wise to get it because of its resale value? How does it effect the drive of the car? Any thought?
  • dfasulodfasulo Member Posts: 9
    The 2001 model will be virtually identical to the current 2000's, and will be introduced early this year (around July). Some notable changes:

- 170 HP stock for the 1.8T
    - No manual for the 2.8 FrontTrak; tiptronic only
    (manual will still be available on the 2.8Q)
    - Xenons WILL be available on the 1.8T, despite
    previous info to the contrary.

See http://www.audiworld.com for more info.

Dan
  • dfasulodfasulo Member Posts: 9
    jitbug5,

The sport seats have much bigger bolsters on both the seat backs and cushions. They're a little narrower and firmer than the stock seats. They've also got a longer seat cushion, meaning more thigh support.

I've tried both quite a bit. My 99.5 2.8QSTip was supposed to have them, but arrived without (Grr). However, I haven't been unhappy with the stock seats. So I'd say they're nice, but not a necessity.

abw4,

I've never been in a FrontTrak A4, so it's hard for me to compare. The A4Q certainly seems glued to the road, even in wet conditions. Also, here's at least one difference: you can get throttle-induced oversteer out of a Quattro A4; try that with the FrontTrak. :)

Dan
  • jayatdeltajayatdelta Member Posts: 2
    I placed my order 1 week ago, but I would like to have the 2001 for the free Hp increase. The dealer told me to expect a 3 to 3.5 month delivery wait. If my expected delivery is June but I would rather wait the month and get the Hp and Sideguard free. Could someone finally put an end to my question and state how they know about Audi build and delivery so that I might believe them.
    JayFromPa
    Nothing in life is free. Although the 2001 A4 might have 170 hp and standard side airbags, believe me, there will be a price increase in the base price. There was a significant one for 2000.
  • jayatdeltajayatdelta Member Posts: 2
    The dealer who I placed the order for an 1.8Q, called and said that I would recieve a 2001. He did confirm Hp increase and standard Sideguard airbags. He does not expect my price to increase more than $200 from the 2000 I was expecting being that I did order the Sidegaurd anyway. He said that I would have the car by July as well.
    If that's the case, I would definitely go for the newer car. I would have liked the Sideguard airbags, but I would have had to wait 4 months for them, when they had the car I wanted on the lot without them. Safety always comes first with me.

It's worth the wait, even though it's almost 4 month's away. Go to www.audiworld.com to live vicariously through other owners in the meanwhile!
  • davershoedavershoe Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when we'll actually see the redesigned A4 in the US? Although I've heard that the 2001 model is supposed to be redesigned, my dealer says they won't actually be out in the US until 2002.

Also, is it true that if you get the sport package, the high performance tires are great in the dry, but pretty crappy when it gets cold and snowy--such that I'd be better off not getting the sport package.

Thanks to all responses.
  • bkm119bkm119 Member Posts: 16
    My wife has a '96 A4 with 30k. I have two problems: First, the sun roof sometimes randomly opens when you hit a bump. Second, the power steering has developed a moaning noise, particularly when it is cold. The noise seems to go away when the car warms up sufficiently. Does anybody have any thoughts on what these problems might be (or experience with similar problems), and if so, what it will cost to fix them?

Thanks.
    Davershoe:

We should start seeing the new A4 models in the showrooms, fall of 2001, as a 2002 model. And yes, it is true that the sport tires are not good for the snow and cold. Most people on Audiworld change to dedicated snow tires in the winter. That was one of the reasons I didn't buy the sports package, I didn't want the expense of snow tires, and I had nowhere to store the tires I wasn't using.

bkm119

The sunroof randomly opening seemed to be a problem in the 1996's. I would go to www.audiworld.com. There was alot written about it.

As far as your noise in the steering on a cold morning, I think everyone on the Audiworld forum, including myself, has all kinds of noises on a cold morning until the car warms up, and mine is brand new. You might want to go to the same URL at Audiworld above. Again, alot has been written about this. I would probably not be worried, unless this noise continued when the car was warmed up.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    re: moaning ... you might try a psychic. Or a seance. Or you could try checking the belts for wear. If they haven't been replaced since 1996, the cold ps moan could be advanced notice of a brittle belt. All of that past, then Audi weirdness would be worth pursuing.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • a4problemsa4problems Member Posts: 1
    Please see my profile for events leading up to a catastrophic engine failure at 51K with no help from dealer, Audi of America, and denial of extended warranty coverage.
  • slovickslovick Member Posts: 1
    I was in my local dealership on 4/1/00 and the salesman who was quite friendly told me that orders placed today (the 1st.) would be 2001’s. They were expecting the 2001 order guide with the new changes if any this coming week. He also told me there could be a slight price jump of a couple of hundred dollars. I live in the central California area.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I hear your pain...

My 99.5 A6 is perfect, except for the sunroof(same as A4).

When I turn the switch all the way to open it, sometimes doesn't open. When I hit the tilt feature it sometimes doesn't open...and sometimes it makes a strange noise like someone is breaking twigs.

As you probably guessed the "sometimes" doesn't happen when the dealer is inspecting it. I've had the switch replaced twice. It's at the dealer now having the 3rd switch installed.

I did get a loaner car 2000 A4 1.8TQ sport pkg, though not as refined as the A6, I do love that car...maybe when the new coupe comes out.
  • abw4abw4 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to post an A4 2.8Q buying success story. Its been a week since I bought my Audi from McGrath Audi in Glenview Illinois and I've been nothing but pleased so far.

I was able to buy an A4 they had on the lot with pretty much everything I wanted on it for 5.25% over invoice. Now granted, I know this car had been in inventory for at least five weeks (the dealer admitted this to me after I did some mileage math comparing when I test drove it to when I actually bought it) but still, the process was painless.

They didn't jerk me around and the whole thing took less than three hours from the start of the dealing till I drove away. The salesman (make SURE you ask for Ogden) was the best I've ever worked with. He was friendly and genuinely wanted to do a fair deal. He spent a incredible amount of time with me over the course of a couple of weeks in between when I first drove it and when I eventually bought the car. The sales manager was reasonable given the circumstances, though I'm not sure what the situation would have been like had the car not been around for so long.

The kicker is that they even beat my internet financing. I had gotten 7.65% on the web via lendingtree.com and they managed to get me 7.4% with no strings attached.

Front to back a great experience. I highly recommend them, and if you go, make sure to talk to Ogden. If you have any questions, you can email me at j-tanaka@uchicago.edu.
    Congratulations! You're going to love it more and more every day. I still can't wait to drive my car and it's almost six month's old. Can't say that about my ex Camry!
  • bkm119bkm119 Member Posts: 16
    I took my wife's '96 A4 to the dealer to have the power steering checked out (see post #170 above)and have been told that a contaminant got into the power steering fluid or the wrong type of fluid was added. They tell me that the only type of power steering fluid that can be used is a special Audi formulation. Is this true? I certainly did not add any fluid myself. The only place the car has ever been serviced is two different Audi dealers and one oil change at Pep boys last October.
    The long and short of it is that they are telling me that the power steering pump is ruined and the rack of the rack and pinion steering has to be replaced for $1250 in parts plus labor. I've been out of town all week but I am going to go see the dealer about it tomorrow. I remembered earlier this week that I had the car in for the 22.5k service over a year ago and at that time I asked them to check out a noise. I don't remember exactly what that noise was, but they couldn't find anything. Hopefully either I or the dealer have records reflecting that they were to look for a noise in the steering, which hopefully will throw me back into the warranty.
    Do these repairs sound plausible, or is the dealer trying to take me for a ride?
    If you're thinking about buying an Audi, despite all of the positive comments on this board, think twice. This car only has 30k on it. In addition my father-in-law has a '98 A6 that has been nothing but problems, but his have been covered by warranty, and he has a 3 year lease, so he will be getting rid of the car before the warranty runs out.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    It is a wonderful car, but is expensive
    to maintain. To me, that is a small price
    to pay for the privilege of piloting such a
    fine machine. It might be a good idea to
    obtain extended warranty to defray some
    of these unexpected repair costs.
    My sentiments exactly!
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Since I've never had an extended warranty, how do they work? Do you need to go to the dealer? Do the ones I see you folks discussing allow the owner to work with an independent garage, or? Are there usually charges byond the premium + the deductible?

Thanks.
    Take care.
    Joe W.
  • japancarloverjapancarlover Member Posts: 6
    I am almost ready to try to buy an Audi A4 Quattro, but your posting and a couple of others make me pause.

I called the service department of the local Audi dealer about your message. I generally explained to the technician (I assume that he was one.) the content of your posting.

He generally agreed that Audi's require a special power steering fluid. It has to be mineral oil based. Standard commercial fluid like ATF's(I think that is what he said)would be too thick and would indeed destroy things.

With that information and without knowing more about your situation, I would consider doing several things. First, I would look at the car maintenance manual to see if the power steering fluid is checked at regular intervals. If yes, and I bet that the answer is yes, I would check my repair sheets, if I still have them, to see if the dealer added any power steering fluid during one of the maintenance checks. If yes, then I would demand to know just what the dealer used. If it used the Audi formula, I would want to know if the dealer used an already open can to top my car off. If there were a contaminant, maybe the dealer did not keep its material secure enough. These of course are just guesses.

I am nowhere near a mechanic, but it would seem to me that having too thick oil would result in the moaning noise that you describe in #170. The oil was too thick to freely circulate, and the parts (again knowing nothing about power steering mechanisms) ground together.

From my test drives,I certainly agree that the car is marvelous to drive. I have thought of it as my Mata Hari car. Very seductive and very dangerous to approach. Almost everyone that I've asked about it loves it. Almost everyone says that he or she has experienced no problems with it. Consumer Reports just raised the reliability rating to above average, and the reported repair experience for the last 4 years would seem to support this. A lot of them, including some old ones, are on the road here in Northern CT.

Yet I see things like this on the Web that I have not seen on the Web with any other car. In www.Audiworld, there is a tale of woe about an engine throwing a rod at 51K and the extended warranty company not covering the repair. An independent mechanic whom I respect tells me that this is the owner's fault because low oil pressure caused this. OK, but what if the oil pressure gauge, if there is one, malfunctioned?

I'm beginning to think that Audi/Volkswagen can be compared to VHS and Beta Max for videotapes. Most of the world is on VHS, but Audi is on Beta Max. Audis may have special maintenance needs, i.e. special parts and materials, specially trained mechanics, really knowledgable dealers, etc.

If this is true, if an owner knows this up front,
    he or she can take steps to maintain the car and have no problems. If the owner does not know this, when something does go wrong, that something is likely to be big.

Do any Audiphiles, Audiphobes, mechanics, service techs, or anyone else out there have any comments about this?

I'm strongly tempted, but I have to decide if the pleasures of the car outweigh the price, the apparently very high price of parts, and the risks associated with the car.
    I felt the same way you do as I have always owned Japanese cars that were extremely reliable, but they were boring. I decided the risk was worth the reward, and that if I kept the car past the warranty period, I would definitely get an extended warranty for peace of mind.

I have the car 6 months/5,000 miles and not one problem. I love it more every day.

As long as you get a comprehensive extended warranty on any car, there should be no qualms or doubts about it's reliability.

Good luck!
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    Folks:

Are the Audi A4 and the VW PAssat similar cars? DO they share the same chassis? Are they the same size?

Thanx
    Ed
    The Passat and A4 are definitely similar cars and share the same engines and transmissions, but it ends there. The A4 is much sportier and the Passat is more family sedan oriented.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    Also share some interior cues like some steering wheels (depends on configs), auto shifter surround, and goofy glove box shape.

They are very similar underneath, although Audi spends a few more bucks on the chassis in a few places where it counts.

As equalizer1 said, it probably depends more on what size car you want. If you want to haul a family, you need a Passat or A6, the A4 rear is little too small.

The A4 is more prestigious, but if you are budget conscious, the Passat is a much better deal and will treat you about as well.
  • mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    The VW Passat and the Audi A4 & A6 all share the same platform and floorpan design with differing wheelbase lengths. The A4 is the shortest, the Passat mid-sized, and the A6 the longest.

I believe the Passat shares quite a bit of the internal switchgear, and when I open the hood on my Passat I see 4-ring Audi symbols everywhere.

--Mike
  • usc1990usc1990 Member Posts: 6
    got a car on order:) After months of searching, I put a deposit on a 2001 A4 1.8QMS today. Really glad to have it behind me. I cross shopped so many different kinds of cars it was funny. My car will be santorin blue, conv package, sport pack, Bose, and Xenon. The dealer believes the side curtain airbag will be standard for 2001.

Thanks for all the help on the forum.
  • holdengkholdengk Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me where you are, and what prices you got (for options and base).
    Other fees?
    OTD price?
    availability in your area?

I talked to a dealer at Negherbon Audi in Oakland, CA today (Hi Jonathan if you're reading this). He told me A4s without quattro are rare and Negherbon would not go 5% over invoice (this is extremely preliminary, that wasn't even a bid from me), 2001 took 10-12 weeks to build, they're involved with carpoint.com, can't show the NAV system because of some liability reason.
  • usc1990usc1990 Member Posts: 6
    I did the deal over the phone. Ordered the car at 7% over invoice. No other dealer fees. I have heard good prices on A4s in my area (SC) are 5-7% over invoice. Coulda got the deal lower if I had driven to the dealer and haggled a bit. 10-12 weeks delivery is what I was told to expect. Availability is strong in the area on everything but A4s. Both dealers I visited had TT roadsters in stock, one had an A8, all had multiple A6s with both the 2.7t and 4.2 engine. Changes for 2001 are:
    Nav system is not optional on the 1.8
    HP is up to 170 for the 1.8
    Side curtain airbag is standard.

I do not have the pricing changes.
  • sbakersbaker Member Posts: 30
    Is this a common problem thread? My brother bought a new '99 2.8 last November and he told me last week it's in the shop to replace a failed steering unit. The Audi mechanic told him the PS fluid had gone low but there wasn't any obvious leaks, which sounds kind of fishy to me. I'd like to pass along any info concerning this in case he experiences any further trouble with it. Or if anyone knows of any precautions that would minimize the chance of it occurring again.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    A friend of mine who has a 2.8 A4 without Quattro said he had to special order it, as the dealer told him also that they just don't stock any. 1.8T's without Quattro are more common, esp. as that was the only was you could get them for a while.
  • japancarloverjapancarlover Member Posts: 6
    For Sbaker, see previous entries #170 and 181.
  • donnafitzdonnafitz Member Posts: 15
    A4, 1.8T is now 14 months old, has 11,500 miles. Even though it's my husband's car, I've been a huge fan and try to drive it as often as possible. First Audi and have loved everything so far..until today! Car left us stranded this morning after church...dead as a doornail, but everything inside works (sunroof, windows, radio, etc.) Oh, but wait, 24 hour roadside assistance, have no fear, you think...HA! try again! After waiting 90 minutes for the tow truck, roadside assistance calls to inform us that a flatbed truck is not available today and the dealer is too far of a tow to use a regular towtruck....fortunately, we're only a few miles from home. One can only wonder what would happen if we weren't! So tomorrow, bright and early, we plan an unannounced visit at the dealer with the hopes that we'll get a loaner and they'll deal with the dead car! Not only have I never been left stranded with a new car before, but I'm horribly disappointed in the roadside "service". Needless to say, last Audi for us...fortunately, it's leased.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #197:

donnafitz, is there any chance that your car is out of gas? You mentioned that everything seems to work electrically but the car doesn't start which immediately makes me think of Audi's well known problem with the fuel sending unit. The problem with this item leads to erroneous gas gauge readings and more than a few people have been stranded while their gas gauge indicates they still have ample gas. Once you are aware of this potential problem, you should never run out of gas again. Should this turn out to be the problem you might want to seriously reconsider sticking with Audi. With few exceptions, there aren't any domestic, European, or Japanese premium cars without some malady. The A4 is pretty mature at this point but obviously that doesn't mean perfect. Hopefully if your dealer does right by you and can determine the cause of the problem quickly you will more satisfied with your choice. Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@mediaone.net
    Sorry about your experience. I understand that
    all mechanical things are subject to failures
    but the way the roadside assistance treated
    you is a shame. I wonder what will happen
    if my car(a quattro...which can not be towed)
    strands me and a flatbed is not available.
    Anyway, my '97 Accord did the exact same thing
    to me and the problem was diagnosed to be a
    faulty starter wire.

Do keep us updated on the car.
    Better luck in the future!
  • rossi3rossi3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used A4. I found an 1997 A4 Quatro with the V6, good price but the downside is the miles, 115k! What should I look out for? Is this just too many miles for a 3 yr old car? How do Audi's last in the long run?

Thanks
    That seems like an awfully lot of miles for a 3 year old car. The average driver drives between 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year, so 115,000 would most likely be the mileage of the average car after 6-7 years. I would definitely look for a lower mileage car. I am sure you are getting a good deal on this car, but the A4 hasn't really been proven extensively at that kind of mileage, as far as repair costs go.

You might want to go to www.audiworld.com and go to the A4 forum and ask if anyone has that kind of mileage and how the car is holding up.

I own a 2000 2.8 and have not had a problem in 5,000 miles. In fact it goes in for it's first free maintenance today.

Good luck!
    The dealer apologized profusely for the poor roadside service and took care of towing the car on Monday a.m. They also gave us a loaner while they had the car. Their diagnosis was that the engine had a carbon buildup and "fowled" (I don't really know what that means, but that's what they said)- they suggested that since we're now putting very low mileage on the car (husband changed jobs), we should add a gas additive (Techron) every few months or so. They changed the plugs and the oil while they had it and it seems fine again. I'm a little skeptical of their explanation, though, because the engine made absolutely no attempt at starting that day. Complete silence..as if you didn't put the clutch in. Also, tank was filled just the day before, so gas gauge was definitely not a problem. Bottom line is, the service makes all the difference in the world when you have a problem with a car, and this service was fabulous. We're Audi fans once again!
  • nstowfisnstowfis Member Posts: 2
    I've heard rumors of an A4 redesign, to make the
    back look more like the A6. I originally heard
    that this would happen for the 2002 model year,
    but now I'm hearing it may be pushed up to 2001.
    Anyone know anything about this?
    From everything I heard, and going to the NY auto show, all indications say it will be 2002 before we see a new design, so if you order the 2001, it should look like the ones that are out there now.
    Since people tend to keep quiet unless the
    car has problems, I thought I would be an
    exception and emphasize the quality of this car.

Audi A4 1.8T Q Tip Y2K
    Odo reading: 2843
    Gas mileage: 27.6 (courtesy trip computer)
    scheduled/unscheduled maintenance: None
    problems: what problems?
    rattles/noises:none
    pleasure: immesurable

For the first time in my 17 years of driving,
    I do NOT look forward to my next car!
    Our A4 was flawless for 14 months. The day after we picked it up from being "fixed", it again wouldn't start and left my husband stranded (twice in 24 hours). Again, the dealer's service has been superb. They brought him a loaner to his office (a VW Bug, Yugh!) and towed the car to the shop. At first they thought it was the starter. Today they left a message that it's a short in the clutch and they've ordered a part (no word yet how long that may take). They're supposed to call tomorrow with more information. This has been the best car we've owned in over 20 years, so aside from being angry and frustrated, I'm very disappointed. Can the car be trusted to get us home every time??? Anyone have any insight into how a lease works if the car isn't performing as expected?
  • nstowfisnstowfis Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, equalizer1. I hope you're right! I've
    got one on order (A4 2.8 w/Quattro & Tiptronic)
    for July delivery, and I'd hate to see it come
    back looking like an A6! I much prefer the
    (current) styling of the A4. It'll be interesting
    to see if the redesigned model (whenever it comes
    out) will be as successful as this one.
    I would certainly imagine that if Audi was changing the exterior looks that it would have been unveiled at the various car shows, which it hasn't. Also, it has not been mentioned on Audiworld, and they have very reputable sources and journalists who operate that website.

As the two posters above have mentioned, I love this car. This is also the first time I am not thinking about my next car. I just took it in for it's first service, and except for the fact that they didn't rotate the tires, the service experience was excellent.

I think you will love this car. Good luck!
  • golfmd2golfmd2 Member Posts: 1
    Will be picking up an A4 in 2 weeks-A4 2.8Q with sports package and Tip. Test drove the A4, the S4, BMW 328ci, Saab viggin, Lincoln LS. The S4 was incredible, but a little more than I wanted to pay at this time. BMW was great as well, but overpriced and I loved the Quattro in the A4 which BMW cant match with its traction control. The Saab was fast, but felt unrefined and was overpriced, I felt, for what you get. The Lincoln was actually quite nice and I placed it along with the A4 on my final list. The A4 won out, however, because the car combines elegance and performance the best and the dealership was superior. I have to say that although I really wanted the S4, I think the power of the 2.8 is quite adaqute and where I live there's little opportunity to take full advantage of a car like that. No regrets!! I love the A4 and cant wait to tear it up.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    As a current A6 owner I think the back end is beautiful. Though I would not want the A4 to look like it. I think the A4 is gorgeous the way it is. A redesign might be in order, but not a copy.

It would be nice if Audi kept the models distinctive. Unlike the BMW. Though nice cars, the 3 series and 5 series are VERY similar.