Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Options
    aboss16aboss16 Member Posts: 7
    Well Im Back... - lol - Remember when i Asked what car is better for me - and that i was 16 - well Im For Sure now That the Elantra (I didnt know it can be boosted) Is GREAT But does anyone know if I can put The Blue Lights - And TICKING Sound and Enjine or mufler noise on that - Bc I really like the Civic MODIFIED - But hate the Civic itself!! - so Please tell me
  • Options
    nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    <371</A>> 371Honda should drop their prices so they can actually compete with cars like the elantra, saturn SL and Sedansneon and so forth.

Oh my.... Honda dropping prices to compete with the Neon? Please. The neon is a terrible car for the most part. The new ones might have a more powerful engine than the base or LX Civic, but what good is the engine when the rest of the car falls apart? My brother-in-law had one and got rid of it because it was unreliable and would keep breaking down on him while driving. Another friend had problems with his too. but knock on wood, my wife's has done decently. some problems but since its just a go to work car, it isn't submitted to average driving (its got 24K in only 3.5 yrs) but we are looking forward to giving it up (lease) come November.
  • Options
    boxxerboxxer Member Posts: 18
    You can say all you want about a Hyandai Elantra...I would never want to admit I had such a car...terrible brand recognition. Honda's cost more because they're...lets face it, a much better car, not to mention RESALE,RESALE & RESALE.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Brand recogition? Since when does saying you drive a Honda mean anything? Let's face it - a Honda is not anything special. The people that I know that drive Honda's, are just like me. They wanted a semi-reliable car that will get them from point A to point B, without guzzling gas. Not sure why some Honda owners pretend that their $17k + Accords and $15k + Civics are anything more than an appliances. The only difference is that Hyundai owners have nicer, more substantial, and better performing cars, for less money. The Honda owners get, well lets see, a mediocre warranty, they get to pay extra for floor mats, and their low HP and non-existent torque engines might be a little smoother, but, they still have an "H" on the hood of their car, just like I do :) Now, if you had the M-B star on the hood of your car, I would think that you might have a better "brand' of car....but a Honda?? That's funny! ;)

You go ahead and spend more money on your sub par car, and myself and the thousands of other smart shoppers will continue to buy the car that better performs - the Hyundai.

Resale? Who cares about it? I don't think anyone here that has a Hyundai is expecting that it will fetch top dollar at the auctions. But around here in DC, where EVERYONE has a Civic, they aren't the most in-demand item either. Anyone that wants one, already has one.
  • Options
    Maybe a Hyundai in DC is satisfactory, but here in California, I'm sorry to inform you...Hyundai is a poor mans Honda in addition, read the car magazines! There isn't one magazine critic who will say a Hyundai is a better automobile. Just face the fact that you purchased a sub-par vehicle. The reason why Hyundai has an impressive warranty is...they have to have some incentive for those who are looking for a bargin basement automobile. Please don't tell me you bought a Hyundai because they threw in floormats! I just happy to hear you're in love with a....it's so embarassing to say, Hyundai.
  • Options
    liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Well, in California, a honda is a poor man's bmw 3 series/audi if you look at it in that aspect.
    Simply put, Civic is overpriced for what it offers (except probably for the Si trim). There's no better value than Hyundai there in the market right now.
    And regarding car critic won't rated Elantra over Civic, well, Edmund and CarDirect DID rate Elantra over Civic.
    So much for that argument....
  • Options
    The Honda and BMW are totally in a different league...get real. The civic competes with the corolla,sentra,protege and possibly the saturn all econo cars and in the same league...cheap respectable cars. Hyandais are slowly making progress, but the Korean brand name will have to over come its shoddy image as a cheap unreliable bottom of the line automobile. I'm just telling it like it is...read Consumers, Car & Driver and lets not forget the majority of the publics perception of Hyundai. I don't have to defend the Japanese cars they sell much better than Hyundai, new and used. I assume you own a Hyundai and is why you defend the product. Good for you and best of luck with your car.
  • Options
    Hehe, funny you mentioned Car & Driver, since they DID rate Elantra better than Civic like I said in previous post.
    Yes, I own an Elantra, as well as a Toyota Corolla. Both car have their advantage and strength over the other. To me personally, none of the compact car present on the market today, is so GREAT and hold distinctive advantage over their competitions, which sometimes puzzles me why people still choose Honda and pay the most extensive premium for it?

You're right, Hyundai need to overcome the bad image already implanted on them, but when that happens, Hyundai could exact what Honda and Toyota did to the American car-maker back in the 80's (where they supposed to be the cheap,unreliable import).

I guess time will tell which one is the better decision eventually. :)
  • Options
    elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    all you guys said all the arguments i would have said to boxxer but i came too late.
  • Options
    Your mission is understandable to try and convince the public that Hyundais is no longer just a cheap Korean car maker who's automobiles are known as a piece of junk. Perhaps one day Hyundai will shed this poor image...I hope so for you Hyundai owners. I will continue to buy Japanese until I know for sure, Hyundai can build it's reputation as a credible car maker. Who know's anything is possible.
  • Options
    In CA, the only Civics that I see barely look like Civics anymore.....they are all ridiculously outfitted with "wings' and ground effects kits and stupid wheels and soup can tail pipes. Saying that a Honda is any classier or more "rich' than a Hyundai is just funny. If the Civics are so great - why are they modified?? Simple reason - they need to be in order to get any kind of performance out of them. Not counting the Si of course..... The only reason people THINK Hondas are better is because they are more expensive, and because in the 80's Hyundai sold a car called the Excel, which was about one step above the Yugo...

As I said, I know from EXPERIENCE, my 97 Civic HX Coupe was the most UNRELIABLE, least powerful by far, auto I have ever owned. My 1980 Volvo DL that I had when I was 16 was a better performer is all aspects, with durability thrown in.....

Boxxer - the fact that you presume to know what the public thinks about Hyundais is crazy. Ask the Audi/VW/MB/Lexus buying public what they think about Hyundai's and they might very well say "yuck". But you are kidding yourself if you think that your precious public is going to think better of YOU because of your Honda......:) You really gotta stop caring about what others think and use your head. Look at the numbers, Car and Driver, and even Edmunds. Clearly, the Hyundai is the superior car.
  • Options
    I never said the civic was classy or rich. It's a cheap encno car as I said in a earlier post. What I'm saying is, it's a better car than the Elantra, simply put. You expressed your horror story on your old civic...touche. There isn't a car manufacture out there that doesn't have there share of very unhappy customers...MB, BMW the list is endless. Just face it, Hyundai is making progress, but fails to live up to the Japanese brands period. And lastly, I was defending my old 98'civic which I gave to my niece for her 16 B-day. A good car for a young teenager. Your so angry about my comments about your Elantra you can't even read straight...it's just a car, buddy.
  • Options
    just a car. People should be buying what they want, and not worrying about the fact that there are people that won't like what you pick. In the "economy car" segment, isn't the name of the game to get the most car for the least money? That is what I thought....and that is why the Hyundai is the better car all around. Lower price, yet more performance and features. There is no other part of the equation that comes into play. You have to have something to back up your statement that the Honda is a better car. Where are you coming up with that? And please don't say Consumer Reports. They test blenders, coffee makers, and cars? How credible is that? I prefer to read the Car and Drivers and Edmunds reports...:)

For what you pay for a Civic EX Sedan, the closest competitor to the Elantra (still no real competition though...:), you could have a Ford Taurus or Mazda 626 or Nissan Altima. That, to me, makes buying a Civic over an Elantra pointless. To buy a Civic means that you get economical performance, yet the price is not economical. That said, I agree that the Civic "feels" smoother, and rides smoother, but, it is not worth the price. And, if you read the comments in the Civic posts, you will see that more people complain about their late model Civics than people have EVER complained about the Hyundai's. That Honda is the more reliable car is not a relevant statement in the late 90's, early 00's anymore.

Oh, and sorry if I sounded angry. I was actually grinning as I typed the last post....;) I really don't want to sound mean or close minded....but as with any adult discussion, you have to have points/FACTS, to back up your statements. I have not heard any yet.
  • Options
    Not only is the Honda a better car, the Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Suburu and Mitsubishi. You're very loyal to Hyundai and I admire you for your tenacity. I don't need to back up my statements...just read all the posts in the Japanese arena and you'll see many previous Hyundai owners who regretted trying to save a buck on a econo car and ended up either selling or junking there Hyundais for a Japanese model. I

Please read some of the earlier posts under this topic...I'm not the only one who would't buy Hyundai. It's all an opinion anyway. Hurray for Hyundai owners...you all have spunk!
  • Options
    You sure you dont have anything to say to this guy? :)
  • Options
    I've certainly ruffled a few feathers here. I out of here...I just realized that it hurts when one has to compromise for a Korean car when they truly would like to have a Japanese car for the same price as a Hyundai. Your frustration is understandable...really. Lastly, I guess a Hyundai is better than nothing.
  • Options
    Is obviously a little peeved because his Honda cost thousands more than my Hyundai that is faster and better looking. It also bugs the heck out of him that he does not have the ba*** to drive the better car. Instead he compromises and gets what he thinks someone else might like better. As if a Honda, ANY HONDA, would be that car....:)

Let's remember - he came here saying "EWWWW, you drive a Hyundai". Need I say more about his obvious lack of intellect? Everyone knows that to go on the offense and bash something, usually means you are upset that you don't have it, or that you are afraid of it. You would think that the cool Honda owner would not even bother with us lowly Hyundai people.....:)
  • Options
    boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I'm not here saying that the Elantra is a better car than a Civic, but when you combine value, standard features and warranty it's a much better deal. We're all laughing in this forum about people who have paid too much for an "econobox" with a lot less to offer in terms of horsepower and power amenities. All based on reputation alone.

If you haven't driven a late model Hyundai, you owe it to yourself to test drive one and then tell us what you think. At least then you can give us a more objective opinion than "Hyundai is better than nothing." I've driven a 98 Civic so I can compare the two. Obviously your entitled to your opinion, but don't expect us to go for it. The old adage of Japanese being better than Hyundai is quickly losing water.

I may be a little defensive about driving a Hyundai, but it's apparent that your just as adamant about defending your overpriced Japanese make. It's all in how you want to lead your life. I can see your point about driving a dependable car with a solid reputation, but some of us are willing to be a little more adventurous and take a chance with Hyundai.

Boltguy
  • Options
    And since when, may I ask, that driving a Honda will make you a cool person? :)

Boltguy has summed it up. Most people choose Civic and willing to pay its premium based on its reputation. Hyundai doesnt have that luxury with Elantra, but does that makes Civic a better car?
    This definitely benefits the customer since they can get a car with the same features for much less, thus represent the better value.
    The easiest way to end the argument which car is better is to check back in a 4-5 years. By that time we should be able to see which car is better (with reliability data coming out,etc). But at that point, Elantra owner still have the warranty to fix problem related to their car, while for Civic's owner, every expense must come from their pocket.
    Just another thing to consider when comparing the 2 cars, never hurt to check out the TCO.
  • Options
    dumb question - what is "TCO"? It is probably something really obvious that I am not getting....:)

I am not here saying that the Elantra is BETTER than the Civic. Don't get me wrong. But - I do stick to my opinion that it is a better deal, and is in no way at all an inferior car to the Honda. It does not take a genius, when you look at the specs and performance and money to see which car shines brighter. But, you are right, lots of people are under the impression that Honda's are reliable, so I guess it gives them piece of mind. I just figure - for an economy car the deal sealer for me is money. Who ever plans on driving their Elantra's or Civic's forever? Not many people I don't imagine...but it is nice to know that if I keep my Elantra as a second car instead of trading it, that I will still have the warranty for years to come.
  • Options
    TCO=Total Cost of Ownership.
    Comparing the TCO of both car should give a clear picture on what it really cost for someone to own it. It may indeed surprise some ppl.
    Back at post #268 of this topic, george00 does a great job depicting the factors involved in calculating TCO. It would be hard to convince someone that Civic is the a better value than the Elantra after putting all the factor involved into the TCO.
    I agree, Civic is a nifty car, but its not the only car out there that worth your money.
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with you on what you said above about resale. that is what i have been trying to prove the few months i ve been in this forum and arguing with this guy isellhondas about resale. for cars that cheap, resale is not important. yet, if hyundai continues to get better such it has so forth, then resale goes up.

but i would not even think about comparing it to an accord EX. thats taking it too far, eventhough the elantra is a great car, the accord is in a much better league then the elantra. the elantra really only competes with the civic only.

enjoy your elantra :)
  • Options
    leanoraleanora Member Posts: 1
    um...did someone said driving Civic is being cool? drive civic in califonia, lets see how cool you look...

Elantra offers decent drive feeling, and it is roomier and peppier than Civic, you can even buy a Sonata for the price of Civic, and next yrs Elantra looks very luxurious if you guys havent seen it yet...

someone said all Japanese cars are good? hmm do you guys read news paper? Mitsubishi have been sued for making so unreliable cars with a lot of defects in new models...they are STILL making bad cars... at least Hyundai grew out of it... people tend to think just because Mitsubishi is Japanese car, it is good car but i been to the Galant...it was very LOUD inside and a lots of bumps...i dont care how the luxurious the car looks outside...because Luxury cars dont/ shouldnt be noisy and bumpy inside.
  • Options
    Drive a Civic, Hyundai, Daewoo, etc... in Cali and you are not cool period. Drive a Benz or a BMW then you might look like someone.
  • Options
    Benz and BMW is like everywehere in Los Angeles metro area.... Unless you drove the S series or the M trim, you won't turn my head around :)
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    Drive a Jag and now we are talking!
  • Options
    I would be more impressed with the person IN the Benz or Jag. Or any car for that matter. Does not matter what the car is if the person is nasty. Cars are great, and if I could afford an M-B, I would have one. But the car does not make the person, no matter what people think. And anyone that thinks it does, is obviously quite shallow :)

Just think of the pleasant surprise people get when they look in my exclusive Hyundai and see me driving it :) Joking there - please no nasty remarks ;)

Off the subject here, but does anyone know why Honda killed the Si Civic already? Is it to make the ones that are out there more valuable? Or are they just waiting a year and suping it up even more? Or are they basing it on the new Integra? Or is the new Integra based on the new Civic? Or Accord? Thanks
  • Options
    Well seeing a person in a MB and a person in the Elantra in La or elsewhere and who would you look at if you had to look at someone, chances are the MB person.

I'm sure MB and BMWs are all over the place in LA. See the Elantra person and think cheap, see the BMW and think more money (although maybe not original), see an 18yo in a BMW and think Mommy's car, and a kid in a Benz and think Drug dealer.

But you are right Justin, the car doesn't make ther person. See people in big expensive cars all the time and they are as$es driving. My wife works in insurance and some of the stuff these well-off folks do is amazing.. one story was a guy bought a new Audi (40K) for his 17yo, added the car to the policy and is was totaled 3 weeks later. No way my kids get a better car than me...they get my hand-me down.
  • Options
    i totally agree with justin. a suped up civic will turn my head, but in a negative manner. it shows me that someone wasted their money on a car that is asking to be jacked when they could have bought a better car for all the money they put into it. For example, a friend of my mothers son bought a civic ex 4dr. He dumped 5 grand into it. few months later, the car was boosted. so, if you do the math. 17,000 for the civic ex + 5,000 equals 22,000. for that price, you can get a nicely equipped vw jetta, or an accord, which is bigger. (if you haggle, maybe a VR6...:) ).

another story....at my college, i saw a new civic ex coupe. the thing had 2 exhausts. Pretty cool, huh....but wait, not even the SI has twin pipes on each side. well, upon closer inspection, one of them was fake. the muffler wasnt even connected! It was just bolted there for looks. now talking about doing it half assed. i couldnt stop laughing. Nevertheless, my hyundai will still beat it from 0-60mph.
  • Options
    bob343bob343 Member Posts: 5
    When I purchased my Elantra '00, in June, I often wondered whether my buying decision was a sound one. Although I did thorough research of the two cars, Honda's long standing reputability, customer loyalty, quality control and resale value is tough to look over. Having made the decision to purchase the Elantra, I have absolutely no regrets. Hyundai's excellent warranty, engine performance (140 horsepower DOHC engine), quality, standard features list and of course price, is something that Honda is simply unable to match. Having owned the Elantra now for four months, I've only gained more appreciation for this car's quality. In closing; Hyundai, ofters more and also provides the best warranty available to back its product. I believe that Honda's reputability alone, is no longer a sufficient reason to justify its very high sticker price in this very competitive economy car market. bob343
  • Options
    fred_puttyfred_putty Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a tiny, reliable, inexpensive sport sedan.

The Honda Civic EX and Mazda Protege ES are beautifully built, fine handling cars, but pricey and down on power for a sporting car.

The Saturn SL2 looked like a bargain, with similar specs and the ability to save $ and boost performance and reliability by foregoing power-this and power-that options...0-60 in 8.5 sec...but the price went up this year.

Dodge offers a kick-[non-permissible content removed] R/T package for the Neon; that's intriguing.

Volkswagen is out of this league in both price and quality, but we can dream. They offer the Audi A4 turbomotor as an option for the Golf now! Bummer is, with VW now aiming for yuppies, Golf's suspension has been mushily Americanized; it can be corrected with aftermarket parts, but that adds even more cost. Anyway, my VW dealer is the very definition of an [non-permissible content removed], and apparently that's the norm for the VW dealer network.

And now I stumble upon this: a 140-hp, dirt-cheap, option-loaded, well-backed compact sedan. A friend of mine had an Elantra years back, and it struck me as a sort of Dodge Neon --- flimsy but a blast to drive. The new one has even more power, more options, a great warranty, and relative to its competition it's still affordable as can be.

Am I crazy to be a performance minded buyer seriously considering a Hyundai?
  • Options
    but if you want a cheap sporty car, you could go for the Tiburon. It has the same powerful engine, but costs THOUSANDS less than a Celica...
  • Options
    but the Tiburon fell out of the ugly tree. And a pretty big fall to be honest.
  • Options
    don't be sorry. everyone has their own opinion. does not mean it is correct.....but that is not the point. The Tiburon is a round curvy car, whereas the Celica looks exactly like a paper airplane with all of the folds and creases. Just depends on if you like a sexy slinky look or a go fast race car look.
  • Options
    I liked the last tiburon better. this one looks like it wants muscles with steroid use.. and yes..the celica looks horrendous. ugg.
  • Options
    first came out, I LOVED it. But then I sat in one - the interior is sooooo cheap - even compared to the Hyundai. I have already seen a few "new" Civics this weekend here in DC. Not so bad...seems that all cars are just morphing into each other...
  • Options
    shero1shero1 Member Posts: 1
    well fred i have both the vw golf i was lucky enough to get as a company car, and the elantra (lantra here in australia) is our private car,
    the lantra is a good all round car in my opinion and is worth owning. it's value for money, economical reliable and powerful enough to satisfy your motoring needs. the vw is very expensive.
  • Options
    the new celicas are pretty nice. i drove one, both 6 spd and automatic. i like the real low seating position. the only thing i would do to it is redesign the backend a bit. also, the auto. i hit my funny bone against the button and front part of the parking break when trying to shift from park to drive. also, the shifter is retardly designed and hard to push the saftey switch to shift. a real pain. but then again...only morons buy sports cars like that in automatic. :)
  • Options
    dexi39dexi39 Member Posts: 1
    I'm finding all of your posts very interesting. We're looking to buy a used car for our 16 year old daughter. We have just under $3,000 to spend. While I would like to be able to get her something better, when I was 16, I was driving a Pinto with plaid seats, and I know she understands what I'm getting at here. Anyway, she wants a Jetta. Well, that can be her own next purchase, too expensive for me. We've looked at the Toyotas and Hondas, and other makes of mid-sized cars, but we just didn't think of Hyundai till now. I'd heard some bad things about them in the past. Now, reading some of your posts, it seems the quality of the company has changed. How far back does that go? If we're looking at something in a '94 or older, are we going to be buying that bad quality car? Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    i wouldn't get a used hyundai. that passed couple of years, maybe as far back as 97 has hyundais improved. older hyundais were like a "throw away" car. cheap to buy. lasts 50k miles and then you junk it. for you, i recommend something cheap and reliable, like a toyota corolla. i had an 86 corolla with 50k original miles on it. got it for $2800. so you can problay get something like that in the 3k price range. either that or a chevy cavalier. they are reliable but sell back value is cheap, so you might be able to get it for under 3k.

Good luck in your car buying process.
    by the way, stay away from VW Jettas from 92 and below. They are crap and literlly fall apart piece by piece. My dad had an 89 jetta and it fell apart at around 60k miles
  • Options
    jjazzmanjjazzman Member Posts: 3
    I checked out Civic EX, Sentra SE, Golf GLS, Protoge, and Elantra before I made my final decision.

This is the review or my opinion made me not buy those cars.

1. Civic: yes they look sweet but every honda I've owned I noticed they always cheap out on the plactics they use. I just hate hard plastics..
    For the money I will spend it is underpowered and no alloy wheel... I tried not to be biaed but experience I had with Honda cars???!!!!...

I've had 96 Accord LX, and still have 2000 CR-V. They are NOT!!!!! that realible anymore. My CR-V had many problems within a year.
    Thus far 2 times on the same window, rear window leak, bolt broken off on the engine. I also have Acura Integra and the bolt they used are same looking but a lot cheaper material is used on CR-V. door rattle problem twice, vent controller just got jammed and broke inside, seat track got stucked.. my frind's civic has same problem.. and much more.. My accord wasn't any better.

2. Sentra SE, they looked too ugly or I might say too goofy for me. Still was my second choice. They still use A LOT of cheap plastic but I loved its upscale looking inside door knob. Same as my 96 Maxima only metallic looking. I've never had better inside door knob. Their boast upgraded stereo wasn't all that even with a panasonic SUB. Price was better than my other choice cars but still it just couldn't beat Elantra's value and the look.

3. Protoge... I've been loving it's new look. Yes they also use cheap plastic everywhere.. First of all.. Try their exterior door knob.. what a fragile feeling or I might say long long travel. The first moment I open the door... It just turned me down. I'm keep saying but the value just didn't measure up either..

4. Golf.. it was only contender using rich plastics just like Elantra. I LOVED it's EVERYTHING about the Golf.. except the underpowered engine and the price.. I just couldn't afford another car this expensive.

Finally Elantra..
    The price is sooooo unbelievably unbeatable.. I paid $13,346. YES!!! This price includes Package#3, floor mats,tax, licence, registration and title fee, and the B.S. documentation fee.

For this price this car came with CD,Power everything, keyless entry, AC of course, cruise controllll what more can you ask for..
    This car seats are much better than 2000 elantra. First when I saw this car I thought this was upscale version of Sonata. Test drive for yourself.. This is not a slow car and it knows how to handle.. This might be the TRUE BEST BUY for the money.. not only cheap but also one of the best performer. I've checked the reliability.. They are only getting better.. even better than hondas.. yes~~ DRIVING IS BELIEVING!!!
  • Options
    crystalqcrystalq Member Posts: 10
    Is this a manual or auto, which state r u in? what's the selling price before tax and all fees?
  • Options
    copytechcopytech Member Posts: 71
    I would like to add my opinion on the new 2001 elantra and the 2001 civic lx. Wife and I drove both of them today. Both auto. Having owned a 96 ex civic, I felt that the new lx auto was a disappointment. It was horribly noisy down the road. The nvh improvements to me were not noticeable. Ride was ok. It had to hunt for horsepower. The car seemed to not be that much improved (if any noticeably) than the previous models 96-2000. The elantra on the other hand was an excellent drive. Very solid, and impressively quiet ride. Roomy as well. We have made our decision to buy a new elantra. I had my doubts about hyundai as well, but after much reading, and driving, am very impressed in their quality.
  • Options
    svenjsvenj Member Posts: 19
    I too was leaning heavily towards buying an Elantra. The only reason I went with the Civic over the Elantra was that the Civic seems to be better designed for side impact crashes, and my wife is overly concerned with safety issues.

I am greatly curious to see how both cars hold up over time. I hope they both stand up well.
  • Options
    Other than the side impact protection, what were your overall opinions on each car? We also drove a 2001 mits Mirage, so so. In driving the civic, since I had a 96 ex and my friend has a 98, I did not see the real improvement over them. I guess they both had their ups and downs and tradeoffs. For me, something as simple as an armrest makes a big difference, and the lx civic deleted one, but the ex put one is their seat like a van armrest. Weird. Not knocking integrity of a honda in any way. I am a fan of Honda, but I was not as impressed with the new ones at I thought I would be, that's all. I'm sure the civic will last for many years, at 100,000 civics are usually just breaking in. Mine was like brand new at 100,000 as it was at 70 miles. I kept it in almost perfect shape. When trading it in, I was asked if it was repainted. Everyone that saw it couldn't believe it wasn't new, exterior, interior, and under the hood. It ran sweet.

That is a small concern of mine, with the elantra overall reliability, but they do stand behind their cars with a great warranty, so that has to say something, even if it is a marketing tool.
  • Options
    svenjsvenj Member Posts: 19
    My impressions of both cars were favorable. The Elantra felt more powerful, and more like a higher end car, especially for the price. I didn't like the handling of the Elantra as much though, especially in tight quarters (I spend a lot of time parking in garages and cities). The Civic is quite nimble for darting around the city. Highway they seemed equally quiet to me, though the Elantra seemed slighty slower getting up to speed.

The other thing I was looking for in addition to reliability was MPG. I think that is going to be where the Civic really beats the Elantra.

I can't compare old vs new Hondas as I have never owned one before, but a large majority of my friends swear by them. I am enjoying my new Civic as I look forward to it being reliable, getting good gas mileage, and being safer in a crash.

Had I been single though, I probably would have bought the Elantra more more room, more power, more options for less money and take the chance that they have addressed their past quality issues. I also like the styling of the Elantra better. Like you their past history makes me a little wary of taking a chance with them just yet.

Elantra feels better and looks better; and if it stands the test of time (ie 10 years down the road); the other car companies will be hard pressed to keep from getting killed by them.

I hope to keep my Civic looking as nice as you kept yours.
  • Options
    Wife and I bought our Elantra this last weekend. She drives it and absolutely loves it. I feel more and more confident about it as I read the Elantra owners and how they have overall good luck with them. Although no car is perfect, the problems exhibited by the owners (door lock solenoids) and things like that are relatively minor, although one person had a fried ecu. Now owning it, I have to say that I am impressed with how the car makes sense and is practical. So far, with a 2700 pound car with less than a 1000 miles, we got 34 mpg with the automatic. Not bad for a 2.0 140 horse engine in a fairly heavy car. After about 2000 to 3000 is when we'll see the mpg get better. I figure around 35 to 38 overall. It's nice to drive 350 miles on 10 gallons. I think about that every time I drive past Ford Exploders and Dodge Durangos that get 10 gallons to the mile.
  • Options
    taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    I'm in the market for an economy car. I like the Civic 96-00 but I really don't care for the exterior look on the '01. The back is an eyesore, and the front looks like it was tacked on. Well I used to not like Hyundai but I really like the looks of the '01 It has a lot of muscle. I really didn't care for the older models. Altough all and all I might just go for the '99 Civic. Honda didn't do a great job on the current Civic.
  • Options
    alese1alese1 Member Posts: 28
    I bought the Elantra '01, instead of the Civic. After test driving bought, I feel in love with the feel and look of the newly redesigned Elantra '01. I bought fully loaded, with front and side air bags, 140 horsepower, new engine (quieter than last year's model), cd player, moonroof, spoiler (chekc out the spoiler on this car, its awesome), 15" alloy wheels, the color pewter, with manufacturer's lightly tinted glass, cruise control, better suspension, 2.0 liter engine, mats, mud guards, keyless entry remote alarm, remote dual side heated mirrors, etc, etc. At the price, you won't get this on the Civic. The Civic LX only has 115 horsepower, with a 1.7 liter engine (not that powerful). Like I said, "fully loaded" and it looks like the new sporty Saab. I'm not going to talk bad about Hondas, 'cause I own one, and Honda's have a rep of being reliable, their great, but for the money and options found in a luxury sedan, I'm definitely getting more for the money, and with Hyundai's 10 year powertrain warranty, why not? I even have a 5 yr paint corrosion warranty. If you have any doubts, go test drive one. And besides the treatment I received at the Hyundai dealership was excellent. The treatment I've received at several Honda dealership was not that great. The act like their cars are the only ones in the market, and they don't even give you any incentives. I asked a sales rep at a Honda dealership about any cash back. and he replied "we don't give any cash backs, you want us to give the car away"? Give the car away, no cash backs? Toyota's Camry's, 1 seller last year, is giving cash backs, why not Honda?. Because they act like "their _ _ _ _ don't stink", that's why. Any way, I'm putting my trust in the Elantra and hope it won't fail me. And for those of you who are talking about resale value, who the hell cares? If you are buying a car and have plans about selling it in a two or three years, then go with the Civic. But if you are like me, I'll use the Elantra to the very end, until the warranty is up, and you know what? At that point, it will definitely be time to buy a new car anyway. One final thing, check out the Elantra 2001 this weekend and ask questions. You'll see what I mean. By the way, I paid for the fully loaded Elantra 17K, and I feel its well worth the price. Good luck to all! And comments are welcomed.
  • Options
    alese1alese1 Member Posts: 28
    Go for the Elantra '01. I agree with you that it definitely has an appealing look to it. Why don't you test drive one before you decide. The front and back on the Elantra is nice. It has these newly resigned lights that makes it look like a BMW.
This discussion has been closed.